Monday, November 29, 2010

Jayhawks move to No. 4 in latest AP basketball poll, highest in Big 12 and above K-State at No. 5

After beating Arizona, Ohio and Texas A&M; Corpus-Christi, the Kansas Jayhawks moved up two spots in the latest Associated Press Top 25 poll, out Monday afternoon.

The Jayhawks are the highest ranking Big 12 team, moving one spot above Kansas State, which fell from No. 4 to No. 5 with a loss to No. 1-ranked Duke at the Sprint Center.

Other Big 12 teams appearing in this week's poll include No. 9 Missouri, No. 11 Baylor and No. 19 Texas. Texas A&M; received six votes and Iowa State received two votes and both are in the others receiving votes category.

AP Top 25 Poll:

The top 25 teams in The Associated Press' college basketball poll, with first-place votes in parentheses, records through Nov. 28, total points based on 25 points for a first-place vote through one point for a 25th-place vote and last week's ranking:

Record Pts Pvs

20. Illinois 6-1 435 19
  21. BYU 6-0 369 23
  22. Purdue 5-1 318 10
  23. Washington 2-2 270 13
  24. UNLV 6-0 255 —
  25. Notre Dame 7-0 126 —

Others receiving votes: West Virginia 95, Louisville 94, Gonzaga 51, North Carolina 41, Vanderbilt 25, Richmond 24, Virginia Tech 8, Arizona 6, Saint Mary's, Calif. 6, Texas A&M; 6, Old Dominion 5, Cincinnati 3, Va. Commonwealth 3, Wichita St. 3, Iowa St. 2, Cleveland St. 1.

Comments

ahpersecoachingexperience 9 years, 1 month ago

Nice work Roy. Hey Harrison, having second thoughts?

Ben Kliewer 9 years, 1 month ago

Can we be friends on the basketball message boards? :)

JayHok 9 years, 1 month ago

4 nationally without Josh Selby. Will the national pollsters put us at #1 after Selby is eligible? Laughing out loud!!!!!!!!!

Hmmmm.......

Now that i have stopped laughing (out loud), it seems like a reasonable query. Considering the pollsters rank based partially on "playas" will we get more votes once Dr. Josh Silk Selby suits up?

Brianna Zaleski 9 years, 1 month ago

I watched UNC again last nite and came away unimpressed w/ Barnes AGAIN! Not saying this kid won't come into his own and be very good, but he does not seem worthy of all his preseason hype. Heck, SI has him amongst the top 16 college freshman... Of all time! He's in there w/ Patrick Ewing, Carmello Anthony and Waymon Tisdale. Irving from Duke looks like the best freshman to date

Bryan Fisher 9 years, 1 month ago

Yep, Irving looks impressive. He took it right to pre-season All-American Jacob Pullen. Put up 17 to Pullen's 4, albeit rare low-scoring game.

Dale Kroening 9 years, 1 month ago

Jones from Kensucky has been the best frosh in the country imo. Id take him over barnes anyday. Cant wait to see Selby play though.

dtownhawkfan 9 years, 1 month ago

who was drunk and put Iowa St. in their top 25?

NJHAWK 9 years, 1 month ago

Vitale has us at #4 but Keegan voted us at #5. Wow.

Studogg 9 years, 1 month ago

6 games. That's how long it took for us to pass the kitties in the polls. Sweet. On another note; NO WAY Mizzery is worthy of the #9 ranking in the country. We've obliterated opponents so far this year (with the exception of Saturday night, but still got a great win) and they've struggled with patsies. That's alright, the cream always rises to the top, and we're already on our way!

Chris Shaw 9 years, 1 month ago

We'll know more about Mizzou after they play G-Town this week. We may hate Mizzou as fans, but having K-State and Mizzou in the Top 10 of the polls is very exciting for the Big 12 North and also very exciting for KU as a program. As a KU fan, I would love a 10 year run with Mizzou, K-State, and KU consistently in the Top 10 of college basketball.

KU_alum_2001 9 years, 1 month ago

I'm going to have to disagree. I see the logic behind your point but if Mizzou never won another game in college basketball history, I'd die with a smile on my face.

Chris Shaw 9 years, 1 month ago

I completely understand why you would have a smile on your face. There is no fault in that stance, but there is a bigger picture out there. Locally and Regionally that is a great thinking, but if you think about the possibilities of Mizzou, K-State, and KU being that good consistently every year on a national scale than that means more publicity, more money, more success and bigger business to the heartland. It also means more respect which is lacking at the moment from the rest of the country. That's why K-State's "Flop" was such a huge disappointment against Duke.

AsadZ 9 years, 1 month ago

I agree with you. Its good to have a strong league. It will only make KU and its program better.

Jared Grillot 9 years, 1 month ago

Now to be fair, they plastered the nobody team they just played. Not that it means anything, but they only struggled with them for the first half.

NorthStarHawk 9 years, 1 month ago

Wow....a nearly complete evisceration of a team, a new head coach and staff and yet Iowa State still manages to snag votes for the Top 25. Whether it's warranted at this point or not, time will tell, but that is noteworthy. I'm sure the 'Clones will have a struggle once conference play begins, but let's beware "Hilton Magic" may return on pure emotion/adrenaline from their fans with the Mayor running the show now. When they are on, Hilton is a tough place to play. Ask Danny M.!

Chris Shaw 9 years, 1 month ago

At the moment, I know KU was going to move up in the polls after some teams lost last week, but I'm still not convinced that KU is a Top 5 team just yet. I also think the same about K-State and I'm shocked to see UConn at #7 after being "NR".

With that said, I don't know who replaces those teams if you drop them so I guess the rankings seem pretty accurate. I think this year even more so than the 2009 year (The year UNC won) is more parity than ever in the college game. I don't think there is one elite team out there that is above everyone else.

It's nice to see 4 Big 12 teams inside the Top 11. Now, let's whoop up on the Pac 10 in the Big 12/Pac 10 Hardwood Challenge.

Joe Joseph 9 years, 1 month ago

Duke has looked very impressive. Clearly the cream of the crop this year.

JayhawkBigXII 9 years, 1 month ago

Naah, they only looked good against KSU. Frank Martin was a deer in the headlights as he was worshiping Rat-face in front of his team. Dook will not win a NC this year.

kufaninmo 9 years, 1 month ago

Puke looks good now, but that doesn't say much...plus, and I really don't know how other people think about this, but KState was HELLA overrated. I mean, people picking them as a final four team seems asinine to me. Top 25, ok sure...but a final four team!? Cause of that Amish dude!? Wtf

Chris Shaw 9 years, 1 month ago

I agree Duke has looked impressive. They beat Oregon by 27 the other night. However, they are beatable as Marquette demonstrated for a majority of their game.

The ACC will be terrible this year so i'm hoping that the lack of talent and compeition will run it's course and hide Duke's Flaws to the point they get beat early in the NCAA tourney.

kufaninmo 9 years, 1 month ago

I agree...and hate to say it but I can totally forsee them pulling an 09-10 KU in the tourney. Too much hype and pressure on those young guys. It'll catch up to them.

Jeremy LeMaster 9 years, 1 month ago

I don't know that one should weigh a ranking based on the previous weeks rank. Look at the teams.... Look at their resumes... who has a better resume than UCONN thus far in the season? With what they have done they should be in the Top 5 in my opinion...MAYBE we have played better but they have beat better competition. I am also not saying you are wrong because I have only watched them beat Wichita St and know that they went on to beat Mich St and Kentucky. This is my problem with preseason rankings. They should not be published and the first set of rankings should come out 2-3 weeks (at least) into the season. The only reason they provide pre-season rankings is to sell tickets and with that premise who cares if they jumpted from NR to 7th?

...off my soap-box

Matt Bowers 9 years, 1 month ago

Got to agree with you on KU not being a top 5 team. If KU is a top 5 team, then college basketball is down this year. KU is good, but it's still too early to really know anything.

Good question was posed about what will be the KU ranking once Selby gets unleashed. Can't wait for that moment. Thank goodness for college basketball.

Rock Chalk

kansas22 9 years, 1 month ago

Hope to see KSU and Mizzou stay close to where they're ranked when they come to AFH. The roof will be rocking for both games. God I can't wait for College Gameday in Lawrence when KSU comes to town. #4 to start the year? Picked to win the Big 12? K-State? Really? Here's to showing them how loud a real home court can get, and why we've won SIX conference titles in a row. Rock Chalk

Mo Mosallaei 9 years, 1 month ago

Beating KSU will quiet them down for a few days at most. They'll complain about officiating, and say how "KU cheats", and stuff like that. If beating them soundly would shut them up, winning 42 of the last 43 would have done the trick by now.

Ben Kliewer 9 years, 1 month ago

Oh, how terrible that you are so right...

Michael Leiker 9 years, 1 month ago

KU has won 42 of the last 43 against KSU?

Jonathan Allison 9 years, 1 month ago

they beat us in 2006 and in 2008. I don't think that we've won 42 of the last 43. Probably 41 of 43 though.

angusmcpherr 9 years, 1 month ago

41 of 43 is right, dating back to 1994.

Michael Bratisax 9 years, 1 month ago

It's nice but doesn't mean anything...but seeing K-State in the rear view mirror is always sweet.

Tony Bandle 9 years, 1 month ago

Soobawls; Outside of not helping on defense, not guarding the three point shot, pedestrian foul shooting....

Oakville: But, we're 6-0...

Soobawls:....foul prone, unable to hold leads, lazy passers.....

Oakville:..we're ranked in the Top Four...

Soobawls; ....uninspired guard play, lack of depth at the Bigs.......

Oakville:......Josh Selby isn't even playing yet.....

Soobawls:.....Withey's not ready, Little looks lost, we've played all creampuffs....

Oakville:....we're not even at full speed yet...

Soobawls:......they are marginally a Top Twenty team.

Oakville....sigh!!

[Disclaimer: This conversation has never actually happened...but it could have!! :} ]

Scott Smetana 9 years, 1 month ago

Soobawls: In fact, we're no better now than we were in '08 with that lackluster team.

Oakville: But we won it all that year!

Soobawls: Yea, but we were beyond lucky. A meer fluke. I was the first to call them overrated after they lost to OSU that year. I stand by that.

Oakville: What do you think the Jayhawks should be ranked right now?

Soobawls: Nowhere near the top 25. In fact, I'd put the football team ahead of them. This team has no idea how to win.

jchief40 9 years, 1 month ago

Sure! You and just a handful of others. Pfft

Ryan Mullen 9 years, 1 month ago

Me too, gooballs is a great poster. Leave it alone.

Benjamin Piehler 9 years, 1 month ago

i hope nobody in manhattan ever seriously thought they would be ranked higher than us for very long...

Ben Kliewer 9 years, 1 month ago

The thing with Duke is, and I was talking with a KSU bball fan the other day about this...and he is actually quite knowledgable...yes, they exist. He was saying KSU will build and get better over the season, which I believe and understand and agree with. So will we... But Duke, they will be the exact same team come April that they are now. That's just how Kryzewdfsndogwseowitski coaches his teams. They are methodically prepared before the beginning of the season, to be the exact same team, game in and game out, all season long. That is why they will eventually come to show weak points and that is why Duke will not win the NC this year...unless nobody can freakin' figure it out for some reason.

Chris Shaw 9 years, 1 month ago

Very valid points, but the same could be said about that 2009 UNC team. Kyrie Irving, only being a freshman, will only get better as the season progresses. Yes, they may be the exact same team come March, but Curry, Irving, Blonde Plumlee, and Dawkins will all get more comfortable and get better as the season progresses which is kind of scary. Maybe they digress, but I would bet on them getting better.

phi4life940 9 years, 1 month ago

I'm good at number four...i hate being ranked number 1. Hate that target that seems to bring out the best in crappy teams. I do, however, want number 1 when the year is all over. :-)

Ben Kane 9 years, 1 month ago

i don't even mind the target, we get that anyway... i just don't want a number 1 ranking to go to our players' heads.

Brian Leiker 9 years, 1 month ago

Kstate falls one spot after being obliterated in basically a home game? UK drops 2 after being blown out by an unranked team? Come on AP writers, at least watch the games.

REHawk 9 years, 1 month ago

Hope our players aren't too overimpressed with this week's jump in the polls. I think #4 is high enough thru the next month. No need to emblazon the target. Current ranking is a nice tribute to the program; should serve as an eyecatcher to Ben McLemore and other recruits. Duke takes on Michigan State this week. Missouri, Georgetown tomorrow night. K State, Emporia State???

KU_FanSince75 9 years, 1 month ago

Bye, bye, Kitty Kats. Your elevator is going down!

REHawk--I agree. No need to jump up any more in the National Polls. #4 is just fine! We don't even have Selby yet. Plenty of time to get to #1. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

REHawk 9 years, 1 month ago

By the way, I just noticed the current Seth Davis ranking on SI.com. He has moved the Jayhawks up to #2 behind Duke. K State 5th (4th?), Texas 10th, Baylor 15th, Missouri 21st. Previously, he had the Longhorns unranked...and Mizzou 15th.

Tony Bandle 9 years, 1 month ago

As much as I enjoy beating our rivals, I find it foolhardy to even under-estimate them one bit. You all know they will pointing at us with every bit of focus they can muster.

No matter how you feel about them, KSU, MU, UT etc. they all have talent [Thank God, UT doesn't have a coach]. If we let down one little bit against ANYONE, since we are not the super power yet that we can be by March, we will get burned.

I think the Arizona victory was a bonus because it did show needed areas of improvement, without costing us a loss. I kid Soobawls a lot, but at this time of year, her words of caution ring true.

That doesn't take away from the thrill of winning and receiving recognition.....it justs provides incentive to maintain the course and Kick A$$

Redlandsjhawk 9 years, 1 month ago

Congrats to Uconn. Very impressive work last week ya gotta admit and their jump in the AP poll is the largest since Kansas went from unranked to number four after winning the 89 NIT preseason tourney.

Brianna Zaleski 9 years, 1 month ago

<p>KUsports.com made a note last week that Jay Hinrichs, who used to work at KU and now is the AD at Northern Colorado, was at the Las Vegas tournament. I know the Hinrichs family and speak to Jay's father on a weekly or twice a month basis (he mentors me for my work) and he says that Jay is a finalist for the AD job. Has anybody heard anything related to that search lately? I thought it odd for the article to mention him specifically and dedicate a whole section of the article to him. Maybe they know something we don't

Gary Kreutzer 9 years, 1 month ago

I would say you hurt his chances at getting the job by running your mouth.
Thats the kind of information you keep to yourself if you are a friend of the family.

Brianna Zaleski 9 years, 1 month ago

So me mentioning it on a college sports blog would hurt a potential athletic director's chances at getting the job. Wow, I didn't realize I had that much power at the tip of my fingers. It was information shared because they are excited and not shared on a hush-hush basis. I would certainly hope that some of the criteria of the search committee was that they not see info pop up on an internet blog. Thanks for the valid input though

KU_FanSince75 9 years, 1 month ago

@ Oakville---I got your point---well taken. To be quite honest with you, this year's Jayhawks will NOT under-estimate anyone on our schedule. Coach Self will try to not let that happen anyway.

@ KSA----I think you're right----KSU won't be in the Top 15 by February.

@ Redlands-----when I saw the big jump by UConn, my jaw dropped down to the ground. However, I did see two of their three games in Hawaii and if anyone deserves that big jump in the rankings, the Huskies certainly do.

@ Oakville again-----BTW, I am giving thanks to your Rams beating the Broncos on Sunday. Very Nice!

jaybate 9 years, 1 month ago

Hey, wait a dang second!

If KU is #4 in the country and Vitale says KU will finish 5th in the B12, what are Duke, OSU, and Pit doing at 1,2, and 3?

This is very confusing, Dick. :-)

KU_FanSince75 9 years, 1 month ago

Dick's "dog & pony" show is getting old. He is confused, what can I say? Hopefully, he will not be doing the K-State @ KU game, Jan. 29th. Have a feeling he will be, though.

JayHok 9 years, 1 month ago

This from Sports Illustrated.....

"The wins over Marquette, Kansas State and Oregon made the Blue Devils the first unanimous No. 1 since Kentucky did it for one week last season."

What??? Weren't we unanimous #1 pretty much the entire year?

ParisHawk 9 years, 1 month ago

"the first...since" means: "Kentucky last year was the most recent unanimous #1". The article mentions Kentucky because they got all the votes AFTER we did.

Are you questioning the accuracy of the statement or just complaining because we weren't mentioned? The statement is accurate as written.

ParisHawk 9 years, 1 month ago

MY BAD. I didn't realize there were no polls after our loss to UNI. According to ESPN, Kentucky was unanimous #1 in week 12 and we were unanimous #1 in week 19, last poll of the year. Most weeks it was not unanimous.

AsadZ 9 years, 1 month ago

At this point in the season and with this team it is better not to be very highly ranked. It is good to motivate the team to ultimately get there plus having a very high ranking could also be distracting, and also put stress on the players. Its better to be under the radar at this stage.

REHawk 9 years, 1 month ago

Dicky is mumbling thru his cobwebs.

KU_FanSince75 9 years, 1 month ago

Arizona, at this time, is bouncing back nicely, beating Northern Colorado, in Tucson, 64-36, with 15:27 to go.

KU_FanSince75 9 years, 1 month ago

KU_FanSince75 9 years, 1 month ago

Opps, my bad----this is a re-broadcast of a previous game---man, I am embarrassed! Sorry for the double post, too!

jaybate 9 years, 1 month ago

"Still More Predictions Dick Vitale Made at the Time He Predicted KU to Finish Fifth in the B12"

~Digger Phelps will wear a good looking tie and nail his hands to the studio desk.

~Jay Bilas will recover from hyperanemia, grow his hair out, gain 20 pounds, and prevail in a life long battle with irregularity.

~Dick's evil twin, Vick Vitale, will quit shoving his hand up the back of Dick's shirt and using him for a cheap hand puppet.

~Billy Packer will finally admit to being 4'10" tall without risers during an address to Little Persons of America, the rank and file of which will spurn Packer and issue a statement saying, "Mr. Packer is an insult to Little People everywhere."

~The D1 broadcast oligopoly will quit reputedly colluding with the gaming industry to mislead betting fans about which were the top teams, so that betting fans will quit getting fleeced with false spreads.

~The Big East will cease being over hyped by ESPN reputedly to spike advertising revenues and betting spreads.

~ESPN will add a segment in which Queen Latiffah portrays Dick's basketball dominatrix, and, after tying Dick naked to an Allen Field House basketball standard, verbally humiliates Dick to XTReme Arousal for predicting KU to finish 5th in the B12.

~Bob Knight will sign an endorsement contract with NABSORPAN, the National Absorbent Pantie Company, to wear their product outside his trousers on Big Monday telecasts.

~Rick Barnes will hire a love doll as his top assistant coach.

~Frank Martin will pull off his face and reveal that he is really Dalonte, and Dalonte will pull off his face and reveal he is really Gary Coleman.

~It will be revealed on Entertainmen Tonight that Sean Miller's head was the inspiration for Megamind.

~Nebraska's Doc Sadler will be the first coach to strip naked in protest of a foul call and be ordered by a referee to pick his stomach up off the floor and go to the locker room.

~Erin Andrews will be the first sports reporter ever to do an entire season of lap interviews.

~While the Obama Administration, with a deficit ceiling gun held to its head by anti-Constitution Republicans, makes Draconian Federal Budget cuts reputedly leading to the pre mature deaths of over a million Americans the next two years, Kentucky will continue to claim that most of its players can read and over half probably took their own SATs.

~jaybate will limit his posts to 23 words each and insist Fizzou is the Father of All Basketball Programs.

Sears will market UNC blue designer enema bags that become highly fashionable accessories among Tar Heel fans.

~KU fans will forgive Dick Vitale for predicting KU to finish fifth in the B12.

(Note: All fiction. No malice.)

jaybate 9 years, 1 month ago

Dick's Prediction is:

a) a big insult;

b) an attempt to reduce high expectations on Self; or

c) an indication of dementia.

Can't say which for certain, but lean to a.

Benjamin Piehler 9 years, 1 month ago

I heard from a fellow KU fan that on TV Vitale stated that he was wrong about KU, and now expects them to win the big 12. I didnt hear it personally, but it makes sense.

ParisHawk 9 years, 1 month ago

Rankings can help recruiting, and may help a teeny bit on Selection Sunday. Ben McLemore can see that Self's KU never really has a "down" year. I imagine he will look closely at how Selby fits in this year as well.

Brian Conrad 9 years, 1 month ago

and maybe some caught the MU Georgetown game . up 4 points with seconds to go , everyone in MU celebrates . then get stomped in overtime. sound familiar? how about KU Memphis? Remember 08 ? KU recruits have a shot , no chance with ole Mizzou. KU over a dozen final fours MU zero