Kansas defeats Ohio, 98-41

• 7 p.m., Nov. 26, 2010
  • Las Vegas, Nev.,

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Victims of foul play: Fired-up Jayhawks hammer Ohio

Kansas forward Marcus Morris is fouled on the shot by Ohio forward DeVa Washington during the first half of the Las Vegas Invitational, Friday, Nov. 26, 2010 at the Orleans Arena.

KU vs. Ohio highlights

Kansas defeated Ohio 98-41 Friday, November 26, 2010 in Las Vegas, Nev.

— Elijah Johnson’s dad, mom, brother, sister, high school coach — even his hometown barber — watched in horror as Kansas University’s sophomore guard was tackled on a breakaway dunk try late in the first half of Friday’s 98-41 rout of Ohio University at Orleans Arena.

“Wow. I was worried. I was worried, but he’s tough,” Johnson’s dad, Marcus, said.

“It kind of got me, because the guy who hit him was a Johnson. I was like, ‘Man, we Johnsons don’t do that to other Johnsons,’’’ Marcus added with a laugh.

The Jayhawks (5-0) weren’t laughing when Ohio’s Ricardo Johnson sprinted toward the exit after getting ejected following the flagrant foul with 1:39 left in the first half.

They were steaming and took it out on the Bobcats (3-2).

“Every time something like that happens, it makes us think about Sherron (Collins). He used to get us so fired up when somebody did something like that, just get us jacked up,” said Elijah Johnson, who was OK.

He actually hurt more in the second half after taking a fierce shot to the back from an Ohio player.

“Marcus (Morris) said, ‘Now don’t let your man score on you, point-blank, period,’’’ Elijah said.

Johnson — he scored eight points in 18 minutes to the delight of 30 or so close friends and family members in attendance in his hometown of Vegas — wasn’t as worked up as his KU teammates.

“I wasn’t mad. I went up to dunk, and it got delayed. That’s all I know,” Johnson said with a smile.

But Marcus Morris?

He was miffed in exploding for a career-high-tying 26 points off 11-of-14 shooting. He had 18 the first half.

“I felt it was a cheap foul,” Morris said. “I didn’t feel it was intentional, but after that it became personal. Not personal to hurt them, but shut ’em down, not let ’em score. I thought we had to get really, really in tune after that to make a statement.”

He was asked if the Jayhawks kept the foot “on the throttle” longer because of the intentional foul.

“Coulda been. I’m not saying it is. We had to turn it up a little more,” Morris said.

It was a game in which Travis Releford (three threes first half, career-high 13 points) suffered a scratch on the left side of his face and Ohio’s Tommy Freeman got a concussion after one of his teammates ran into a Jayhawk and stepped on Freeman’s head. Also, KU’s Thomas Robinson was hit with a technical foul the second half for yelling at a Bobcat.

“That wasn’t a physical game,” KU coach Bill Self said. “Not a game where big guys were lying on each other. There were a couple hard fouls. I think our guys acted chippy, which definitely is a sign of immaturity. Hopefully we can grow up and not let things like that bother us.”

Self acknowledged that KU’s Johnson “got his world rocked pretty good,” when a Bobcat nailed him in the back in the second half. “I thought it was an illegal screen.”

Of the intentional foul that resulted in the ejection, Self said: “I told the official, ‘Why don’t you go to the monitor and see if he got knocked into him or if he took him (Elijah) down. He (ref) said, ‘I think he took him down.’ I guess it (replay) did show he took him down. They had to throw him out. I think the kid felt bad. They came and apologized.”

As far as the actual basketball played in the game, Ohio went 0-for-18 from three-point land on a night KU hit nine of 23 treys. KU’s Brady Morningstar even hit a three on a lob pass attempt to Morris.

“The ball stuck in everyone’s hands,” Self said. “That was the weakest performance for a big blowout win. They (Bobcats) didn’t have a ton of great looks. Of the 18 they took, 12 of ’em were probably pretty good looks. We got lucky they missed.”

KU (5-0) will meet Arizona at 9:30 tonight in the final game of the invitational.

Comments

jakejayhawk 3 years, 8 months ago

I felt the officials handled things very well. By ejecting the player they sent the message that THEY would take care of the issue. Because of their firm actions there was no need for the players to take things into their own hands. Kudos to good officiating!

Jared Grillot 3 years, 8 months ago

After several views of the replay, I wasn't convinced that it was deserving of the flagrant. Intentional, definitely, because he obviously went for the arm, not the ball, but he missed the arm and ran into EJ. It didn't seem like he had malicious intent, or was purposefully trying to pull him down. He went for the arm and missed. In my opinion, shouldn't have been ejected.

jayhawkinATL 3 years, 8 months ago

I agree. I thought the guy tried to wrap EJ up, but it all happened so fast.

Jacobpaul81 3 years, 8 months ago

I don't think so. He wrapped EJ up, which to me means he was trying to hold onto him. If this was football, everyone would be "Wooo!" about the awesome play, but everyone's so darned concerned in basketball. Maybe that will teach EJ to go for more layups than dunks. Dunking can be vital and crowd pleasing, but in that situation, he need only layup the ball.

Jack Wilson 3 years, 8 months ago

Soobawls: Seriously, that is one of most most unenlightened comments I've seen in a while. No way the guy should have been ejected; as stated above, it at least appeared there was no malicious intent. No injury. And no real contact. Didn't even really undercut him. The refs overreacted.

But sure, ban him from college athletics.

MrPilot 3 years, 8 months ago

I would have to agree with soobawls on this one. That's a very dangerous thing to do to a player going up for a dunk. Elijah could have landed at the wrong angle on his head or back and broken his neck or caused some sort of injury to his spine. The refs were right to kick that guy out of the game immediately.

There is a difference between football players and basketball players. The former wear helmets, pads, and expect those kinds of hits. The latter do not.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 8 months ago

For all us old-timers, this was Mizzou's Jason Sutherland standard defensive move and he never got kicked out once........the little bastard!!!!

Selbyville 3 years, 8 months ago

I'm not saying the dude was out to hurt EJ, but that is a play that can really hurt the player in the air. Ricardo knew it, the officials knew, our guys sure as hell knew it, and let them have it for that crap. Bill says all the right things, but there was no way he was happy about having one of his guys bear-hugged in mid air. You won't see any of our guys make a play like that for as long as Self is coach. Other than that, I agree with HCBS, that was one of the sloppiest 57 point margins I have ever seen.

Rock_Chalk_NYC 3 years, 8 months ago

said the guy/gal that never played a sport.... Are you kidding me? I'd be just as upset if any of our players made a similar cheap shot. I do believe the kid was sorry afterword, he made a bad impulse decision. Nonetheless, it could have turned out much worse for EJ. Props to him and the team for not reacting in a similar manner.

Ben Kliewer 3 years, 8 months ago

But, can you imagine what could've happened if that fella would've stayed in the game? I'm not doubting the integrity of our guys, but when you get into a ballgame and you're full of pissandvinegar already, and the dude that tackled your brother (you're all brothers on a basketball team of course) is still out there? Might fire you up and get you into a little bit of trouble. I see what you're saying though.

Torisen 3 years, 8 months ago

I haven't seen the game, but did the ball really "get stuck in everyone's hands"? I mean, they had 20 assists, which is not too far off from their average of 24.3 (#1 in the nation, according to ESPN!)

ESPN has them, before this game, at: 91.8 points per game (4th overall) - Should pass Washington to take #3, behind Virginia Military & Saint Mary's 24.3 assists per game (1st overall) - should slide to #2 behind Purdue 59.0% FG (#1 overall) - should remain #1 7.5 blocks/game (#4 overall) - will slide, but should remain in the top-10.

oldalum 3 years, 8 months ago

The first half wasn't very good. There was none of the crisp passing I have come to expect, careless tosses that were knocked down or intercepted, less teamwork and more individual play, too much shooting the three just as soon as they got down to their end. I kept thinking they were playing really bad, and yet the lead kept growing. Luckily Ohio was playing even worse. They got it together a bit more in the second half. I'm sure hoping they don't start out that way against Arizona tonight. Maybe "bad" isn't the right word--just not the team they usually are.

Jacobpaul81 3 years, 8 months ago

It was a poor passing night. A lot of needless one on one and a lot of turnovers from too much dribbling and passes that were either needless, not well thought out, or not crisp. They also allowed way too much driving in, offensive rebounds and open three point looks to Ohio. A better team would have had a much better result. The team looked terrible on both ends... Ohio just looked worse.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 8 months ago

Coach always seems to be a bit more critical than the rest. I also sometimes wonder how much different His message is to the team, or what is his intent. I'm guessing it is a lot less about analyzing the game for the fans, and a lot more about getting the team ready for the next game and season.

4everahawk 3 years, 8 months ago

Of no particular importance, but.......on Ohio's website, there are 2 pics connected to the story on this loss and NEITHER of them are with the Jayhawks. Apparently there were no pics from this game that would show them in a good light...

ParisHawk 3 years, 8 months ago

It was not quite as much fun to watch this one. The team seemed out of sync at the beginning, and Ohio got so many second chances all game long (16 offensive rebounds?). If they hit their open 3s and we miss ours, it's a much closer game (didn't think of that, did you?)

The bigs had foul trouble, but all looked good in different ways while they were in there. It's very important for us to have all four bigs contributing. Marcus at his best was a man among boys.

Travis progressed and Mario regressed. Taylor was true to his new self, as was Brady. EJ had some good minutes; I hope he can play tonight.

Self talked about "immaturity". If we want to go far, we have to grow up and get better faster than the others, including how we handle stuff like this.

I did like the way Sherron still casts his shadow over the psyche of this team, and I did like the way we handled their zone. Next!

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 8 months ago

Far above the golden nugget Glorious to view

Stands our noble Vegas dancer Towering towward the neon

Shake your ya-ya's drop ya booty Cinnamon and skyler

Hail to the ole Vegas dancers And hail to ole ku

Doug Merrill 3 years, 8 months ago

I think HCBS is always going to be critical of the team more than they "deserve" primarily because he sees where they can be better, rather than how great what they did. I think he is also concerned that they might be flat going into AZ if they think they are too good. When they beat good teams and when they win championships, he is their biggest cheerleader!

ParisHawk 3 years, 8 months ago

Just checked out kenpom.com for the first time this season. We are ranked first, and in the top two in both defensive and offensive categories. Arizona is listed as our biggest non-conference test. I'll let you discover where KSU is ranked ;-)

Redlandsjhawk 3 years, 8 months ago

Very cool, but check out Texas wow I'm surprised by that.

Steve Yeakel 3 years, 8 months ago

Great learning experience, Coach Self is right about them being too chippy/mouthing too much, but a great sign that Marcus stepped up his play and that, as our new leader, his instructions to our team were not to retaliate physically, but to play our very best on both ends of he court and teach the BB world that cheap dangerous shots are only going to make us play better. So we got one out of two right, elevate the play (right), but don't turn up the mouth wagging/taunting. When Robinson got T'd for mouthing off he was following the bad part of Marcus' leadership, but that is okay, Marcus also did the good part, and can learn from this to skip the bad part. Way to go Jayhawks, beat Zona!

Kye Clark 3 years, 8 months ago

As I stated yesterday, I was pretty skeptical of the assertion that Ohio was a "good team", and some posters tried making the case for the Bobcats...then they get blown out by 57 on a neutral court. Even if they would have made the same percentage of threes that KU made, it would have gotten them 21 points to cut the margin of victory to 36 (and that's not taking into account any of the second chance points they got by turning 7 of their misses into makes in this hypothetical situation).

Speaking of opponents and their missed 3s, not sure how many games in a row the defense can keep getting minimized by saying "they missed a lot of open looks." I don't go back and re-watch the games (because I'm not a coach and I'm not under the illusion that I have a job at ESPN), but I don't remember there being a lot of wide open looks. I do remember some of them being open initially, but also remember the defenders hustling to the spot to get a hand in their face.

As far as the defense is concerned, privately Bill Self has to be extremely pleased with how it's shaping up. Ohio had 3 assists and 22 turnovers. Sure some of the turnovers were unforced, but only 3 assists? Incredible. And I don't remember them getting any fast break points.

Something that surprised me was Jordan Juenemann getting into the game so early, and the fact that he saw minutes over Royce Woolridge. I hope it is the case where Royce was held out because he was late for the team bus (as was referenced by Dave Armstrong during the broadcast, saying it was a player we hadn't seen yet), because if Royce can't beat out a walk-on for court time, it's disappointing that he didn't red-shirt this season.

It was also disappointing that Kieff and TRob had their minutes limited due to foul trouble. It demonstrates the luxury KU has in having Jeff Withey. Good minutes from him, although he still looks very unpolished. A lot of balls bouncing off his hands, getting slapped out of his hands by defenders, and the pass off the bottom of the backboard into his face. He's been with the team almost two full years now if you count the year he sat out following his transfer, and I know injuries have slowed him down but I expected him to be further along by now. Hopefully at some point all the coaching and "Hudy-ization" takes, because if it ever does he could be an absolute force.

My prediction for tonight's game: KU by 20.

hawksince51 3 years, 8 months ago

Foul trouble by our bigs, especially Mk and TRob has been one of my biggest concerns about this team. We are going to need Withey to play quality minutes in big games. I hope he can get some of that much needed polish over the next month. Other than the fouls, Mk is really looking good this year, and TRob has certainly improved. But Marcus is clearly the man--I hope AZ brings out the best in us tonight. rock chalk

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 8 months ago

In regard to the hard foul, it was a cheap shot, and a flagrant foul. I know some of you above disagree with me, but he deserved to be ejected. Right after it happened, my previous officiating experience took over and I said kick the guy out. And, that's what happened. HCBS is correct when he says the team is immature in handling a hard foul like that.

After listening to coach Self in post-game, I was taken back a little with his criticism. I think it was a ploy to get them ready for Arizona. After sleeping on his comments overnight, he is right on with what he said. That's why he is the best coach in America!

BTW, Arizona defeated Santa Clara last night fairly easily---I think it was 84-59. Good luck tonight, Jayhawks!

Clarence Haynes 3 years, 8 months ago

Not only was Self prepping the 'hawks for Arizona, but for the remainder of the season as teams will try anything to get us flustered. When things like that occur, "wolf tickets" aren't required. Revenge is through ignoring the "chumps", greater focus, and exceptional play! Kick butt!

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 8 months ago

Personally, I disagree with HCBS's opinion that being a little chippy a sign of immaturity. These guys are supposed to look out for one another.

Ron Franklin 3 years, 8 months ago

I had never heard the word "chippy"used more frequently than the last 24 hours.

It's becoming as annoying as "I know,...Right". Well, maybe not quite that bad yet.

I am having a hard time grasping why I think the Hawks appeared completely out of synch, yet they still dominated the entire game.

Their offense looked like a mess....but they scored 98.

Was it the passing or the fact that they seemed to give up a ton of offensive rebounds that made it seem frustrating to watch....looking at the box score, both teams pulled down about 13 Off.Rebounds.

Reed will begin losing his minutes to TReleford if he continues to hit 50% from treyland.

I wish the coaches would tell Brady what he is doing wrong with his JS. If he'd study his second-made three pointer last night, he'd see himself in near perfect JS form....yet his 3rd and 4th 3PTA's he was back to his old "Lunge forward, elbow outside his body self"

Jack Wilson 3 years, 8 months ago

I noticed the lean forward, too .. completely agree Brady's shot.

And perhaps we're at a stretch here where Dave Armstrong can take some time off. Obviously we're Hawks fans, but he is way too "hometown." Just stupid arguing with Gurley over Withey's pass that hit the backboard. Could hardly stand listening to him.

ParisHawk 3 years, 8 months ago

The offense didn't always look like a mess. For example, all of Releford's threes were prepared by good passing. Maybe the team has been so good that the bad stretches stand out more in our minds.

Joe Satterwhite 3 years, 8 months ago

smh KU needs to just focus on UA point blank.

clevelandjayhawker 3 years, 8 months ago

Even in these blowout wins it still feels like this team has so much more potential, tonight should be a better test. I would actually like to see this young hawk team get down by ten early so we can see how they respond (mostly TT). Memphis may be the first "real" test we get before conference, but i think tonight should be a little more interesting than the last 5 games. Jeff and EJ (from arizona) should be bringing a little extra to tonight's game and I cant wait.

O yeah..... beat Missery

jaycard 3 years, 8 months ago

I was at a family bonfire and missed the game. Any reason TRob only played 8 minutes? Rock Chalk... beat the Tiggers!!

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 8 months ago

Because he reverted to his style of play from last year.

Toward the end of the game, he was not even watching the play while he was sitting on the bench. He looked like a pouty kid who had been sent to their room.

This was not the team for him to lose his composure over. They had no matchup players in general, especially at a post position. Maybe the thugball play frustrated him from the Ohio team. Danny needs to bring him along quickly or he'll always be a 5-7 minute performer,

gchawk 3 years, 8 months ago

You are absolutely correct. Hope TRob gets his "mind right" because he has so much potential.

4everahawk 3 years, 8 months ago

Good call to eject Johnson....attitudes were going downhill fast after that foul. It probably saved him getting hurt later in the game. Whether it was intentional or not, it was very dangerous and the kid needed some time to think it over. It showed a real lack of maturity on his part and he suffered the consequences by being ejected. Perhaps he will learn from his mistake. I love it that our guys take care of each other.

ajhk 3 years, 8 months ago

It gives me that warm giggly feeling to see Releford coming around like he is. Supposedly he was a scoring slasher with a bad jump shot. He's been working all through his red shirt year and the off-season on that JS. It looks smooth now. It's a bit reminiscent of Russ Rob's situation where he might have been a bit down not getting playing time and thinking of transferring but instead decided to gut it out and work hard. The example this sets has an intangible benefit for the program that is greater than scoring 20 per game. I'm waiting to see when Bill will come out after a game and state that the team he has is great, in fact he's so content that he's canceled all remaining practices because there is nothing to improve on. Maybe after the NC? Doubt it, that's about the time the next season starts. I'm kinda hoping Withey remains unpolished enough all season to warrant his return next year when we'll need him for 30min/game. The NBA drools over 7' guys. It's just a bonus for them if the guy can run, shoot or has ever seen a basketball before.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 8 months ago

I don't know..I guess it depends on the position.

ajhk 3 years, 8 months ago

Not so sure about that Dude. With Bill's teams, a guard like Releford will not see the floor until he both: a) gives a great amount of effort on every defensive position and b) learns to play his role in the offense while limiting turnovers. Just by the fact that he's on the floor enough to showcase his sweet stroke means that he's put in effort in the above categories. Russ Rob, for instance, was never the dead-eye shooter but as I remember he did get plenty of recognition. You're right that offensive numbers are easier for most to see but I'd like to think us Jayhawk fans are a notch above and understand the nuances.

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 8 months ago

A nice moment was when Sasha Kaun walked into the arena and behind the bench during the game. Great show of affection for him by the crowd.

dynamitehawk 3 years, 8 months ago

Johnson on Johnson crime. Bad business folks.

kusports1 3 years, 8 months ago

Seriously, how can anyone possibly say that the Ohio kid tried to wrap up EJ. Did you actually watch the game and the replays. The Ohio kid was to busy trying to catch himself....he wasn't in a position to try to wrap up EJ. Pay attention!

MemphisMachine 3 years, 8 months ago

Good show, you guys definitely have some weapons in Lawrence. See you in New York, I'll be flying in from California.

gchawk 3 years, 8 months ago

MemphisMachine, appreciate your comments. We seldom get fans from another team say anything positive about us. My wife and I are flying to NY next week for the game as well, should be exciting.

Kye Clark 3 years, 8 months ago

Just read an article on espn about the KU-Zona game tonight, and kinda had to shake my head at this quote from Bill Self:

"He's unbelievable," Self said of Williams. "They had one play, a breakaway and he goes down full speed, jumps off two feet and does a 360 dunk. Who does that? We have great players, but we don't have athletes like that."

I guess in defense of Self's statement, I haven't seen the highlight of that dunk by Derrick Williams. However, upon reading that I immediately flashed back to last night's game when we heard from the announcers that Coach Self was not happy with Travis Releford's reverse jam against Texas A&M - C.C. I was disappointed to hear that, and today thought "how would you know if you have athletes like that or not if you get on them about doing anything more than a simple, straight up dunk?" I'm hoping the comment was just more of his coach-speak, hyperbole intended to give praise to Williams.

REHawk 3 years, 8 months ago

The talk about 360s and reverse jams generates a guffaw, reflecting upon Julian's toppling to his nose...and Rush laying the big josh upon his lying there like a wounded goose. That incident might have served as the precipitating moment for Julian to decide to bolt from Lawrence the moment NBA began talking Lottery. (Still up for debate as to whether the '08 guys would have won that championship with Julian still aboard.)

jaybate 3 years, 8 months ago

The plague of XTReme Cheap Shotting has started.

Thanks Coach Consonants.

jaybate 3 years, 8 months ago

"Pregame Notes"

Here is what will happen with the Zona game.

If KU loses, then KU was a hoax.

If KU wins, then Zona wasn't very good.

The season is a work in progress.

Win, or lose, and I suspect we may lose, because I saw a lot of defensive lapses against Ohio that Ohio was shooting too poorly to make us pay for, the main thing is for EJ, Releford and Little to keep improving incrementally in the amount of time that they play UC on offense.

Little plateaued vs. Ohio. He needs to take another step forward.

EJ played under more control on offense vs. Ohio, but his help-defense was much worse.

Releford looked exceptionally good most of the way, both ways, but then he just seemed to go haywire the last few minutes that he was in.

Withey did some good things, but he is having to think so much about D that he cannot get in the offensive floor and score off the blocks. No one will throw it to him.

Royce did nothing for himself vs. Ohio. If he wants to avoid the black hole at the end of the bench, he needs a good performance his next shot.

Jordan Jueneman took another step in fulfilling my prophecy about becoming a credible glue man next season. He is putting up the perfect line score to keep getting more minutes when there is separation. He can defend, shoot the trey, and protect. He is doing exactly what Self hoped Conner would do last season and did not. Jordan's next big chance will be a surprise look against a D1 major that Self is pretty sure KU can beat. It may not come till KU plays a poor B12 team, but it is going to come. If Jordan can do what he's done so far, Self will then find a little sliver of playing time against as a B12 team that is not horrible. He has a lot of tests to pass just to get credible for next season, but he seems rock steady.

KU's big problem vs. Ohio was that their Disruption Stat (strips to TOs) was way less than 1:1 again. If KU can't get the Disruption Stat even vs. Zona, it is very likely to lose the game.