Tuesday, November 23, 2010

It’s Border War week: KU’s Turner Gill, Missouri’s Gary Pinkel well aware of rivalry’s history, bitterness

Left: Missouri coach Gary Pinkel leaves a huddle against Texas A&M on Oct. 16 in College Station, Texas. Pinkel, Mizzou’s coach since 2000, has been a part of nine Border War games against Kansas. Right: Kansas football coach Turner Gill, left, disputes an interference call following a Colorado punt during the first quarter of the Jayhawks’ victory.

Although Missouri coach Gary Pinkel has been through nine of these and Kansas University coach Turner Gill is preparing for his first, the two football coaches navigated similarly speedy paths to understanding exactly what the Border War rivalry was all about upon being hired at their respective schools.

For Pinkel, hired by MU in 2000, word of the Kansas-Missouri rivalry popped up quickly and didn’t slow down for several months.

“I figured it out right after my press conference,” Pinkel said. “At every function I went to for the next three months, public relations-wise, everybody would come up and say hello and welcome and the first thing they would say was, ‘Beat KU.’ That took me off guard a little bit because, at the time, Mizzou wasn’t doing very well and I just couldn’t believe that a rivalry at a program that had been struggling was so huge. But I figured that out real quick.”

For Gill, a glimpse into the Border War surely came before his introductory press conference. If not, how else could “Beat Missouri” have been second on Gill’s list of priorities that day last December?

Asked if playing the Tigers at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, Mo., in the final week of the season would feel like KU’s bowl game this season, Gill was direct with his response.

“I think from the magnitude of the people, the Kansas alums and the students, I don’t think it would matter when this game would be played,” he said. “It’s definitely a big focal point for this football program along with the people in the community and all the alumni on both sides.”

The first official chatter from the KU locker room emerged after last Saturday’s 48-14 loss to Oklahoma State. While the Tigers were celebrating and summarizing their 14-0 victory at Iowa State, the Jayhawks (3-8 overall and 1-6 in Big 12 play) were busy looking ahead.

Red-shirt freshman receiver Chris Omigie, who had career-best marks in Saturday’s loss, showed with his words that he was more than ready for his first Border War.

“It’s real exciting,” Omigie said. “We’re going for blood this week. We’re going straight for blood. We’re going at their throats.”

The Tigers first began talking about this year’s showdown last summer at Big 12 media days in Dallas.

Asked if Gill’s nice-guy image would take some of the luster off of the bitterness that defines the rivalry, Pinkel referenced Gill’s alma mater and some of the heated rivalries that Nebraska’s been a part of.

“Tom Osborne’s a nice guy, too,” Pinkel said. “And he did pretty good.”

Added Mizzou defensive back Kevin Rutland: “I really don’t look at it like that. He’s come into a rivalry that he’s been thrown into. Our rivalry’s not going to change due to him being there. I wish him the best of luck, but we’ll see what happens when we meet.”

While the outcome of the 2010 seasons has made Missouri (9-2, 5-2) a 241⁄2-point favorite for Saturday’s 11:30 a.m. kickoff, the rivalry’s recent history suggests that both teams have a legitimate chance.

In 2008, KU was just 6-5 heading into the Border War against the 12th-ranked Tigers. But a spirited Jayhawk effort, culminating with a fourth-down touchdown pass from Todd Reesing to Kerry Meier in the snow, gave Kansas the victory.

Kansas went on to rock Minnesota in the Insight Bowl and finished the season 8-5.

Pinkel remembered having a good team that year. One of his best, he thought. But the emotion, energy and excitement surrounding the Border War trumped that. Pinkel expects a similar scene Saturday.

“In 2008 I thought we had a really good football team and we go in there and Kansas beats us,” Pinkel said. “And we barely won last year. With this game, you can throw everything out the window. Both teams will compete just because of the rivalry, both what’s been created and inherited.”

Comments

Ted Toulouse 4 years ago

Considering how much better this team plays when there is emotion involved, I'm looking for another Georgia-Tech-like performance. This game will definitely be closer than 24 points.

KU_FanSince75 4 years ago

I kind of sick of "hearing Border Showdown VS Border War." It is a frickin' war---call it what it is. When the sweet and considerate Missouri fans throw batteries at the Jayhawks coming out of the tunnel, it's a stinkin' war.

ttoulouse---I hope you are right. A big blowout with Missery would not sit well with me. Rock Chalk!

kc_wildfire 4 years ago

Obviously you have never been in an actual, real-life war where lives are on the line 24/7.

NebraskaJayhawk 4 years ago

Try not to take things too seriously kc_wildfire. Sounds like you're trying to draw attention to yourself or people you know that have been in a war. My hats off to every Vet. in the U.S., but he was just making a comment.

kc_wildfire 4 years ago

NebraskaJayhawk...

It is actually the opposite. If I was taking things seriously then I would say that the game is a war, however, I take it for what it is...a sporting event, a game, entertainment, etc.

NebraskaJayhawk 4 years ago

That's fine, but games involving rivals are often referred to as a "war". I know ... I know..it really isn't a war though.

Ben Kane 4 years ago

the history of this rivalry goes back to the civil war, where these two states did nothing but kill each other.

and now for the best speech ever: http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2009/nov...

haydenhawkco 4 years ago

I understand the history and don't mind it being called a "war". Heck, I was in Panama, Somalia, and Gulf War and I know the difference. In the end it is just a game. RLTW!

FSUJHAWK 4 years ago

Tiger hunting season...shock the world boys...!!!

RCJHGKU!!!

tpatt 4 years ago

Remember, these people burned Lawrence.

Rock_Chalk_NYC 4 years ago

Thank you for calling it the Border WAR!

As much as I can't stand Mizzery, I can only hope Gill ends up doing a similar job over the years here at KU. I've long said to friends, all I want out of football is to beat KSUck and beat Mizzery... Mangino and those teams spoiled me into thinking we could have more... well thats just not a reality right now, so back to wishing for those 2 victories for now.

KSUck didn't happen, lets hope for a miracle and Muck Fizzou!

Rock Chalk!

troutsee 4 years ago

ISU played MU tough by using a 3 man rush most of the game. Gabbert had all night to throw but nobody to throw to. If ISU can play 'em tough, we can too, but it will take maximum effort and inspired play from our D and a flawless performance from our O. We can win this game.

Robert Brock 4 years ago

Until the Jayhawks get the program back to where it was under Mangino...the Border War will be downgraded to Police Action status.

haydenhawkco 4 years ago

If I throw a stick will you go fetch?

bullpuphawk 4 years ago

First of all, as a true Jayhawk fan, I would never be seen in black and yellow, no matter how bad the game gets. For you to have jayhawk in your name and make the comment "I like to see Missour win" only says that you aren't a true Jayhawk. Rock Chalk Jayhawk.

Ryan Shelton 4 years ago

I think he's referring to the fact that so many of our "fans" are selling their tickets to our opponents.

bad_dog 4 years ago

Aside perhaps from you, I would never, ever believe a Jayhawk fan would wear Black and Old Gold.

If you ever suffered the misfortune of having to sit in or around the drunken idiots from Columbia during a game at Arrowhead, you wouldn't possibly think of doing what you said.

That experience alone is sufficient to prevent one from affiliating with Mizzery in any context, under any circumstances.

I just wish I could locate Nick Krug's photo of the Mizzery fan flippin him the bird. He was so proud of himself...

Tony Bandle 4 years ago

bad_dog

you are so right...I lost a bet on that first game in Arrowhead and had to wear a Missouri t-shirt for a whole day. I am telling you the truth, I broke out in a rash by the end of that day and burnt that damned t-shirt in my Weber grill.

It will never happen again...ever!!

dtownhawkfan 4 years ago

you dont ever want misery to win. ever. period.

Bob Zielinski 4 years ago

Nebraska will have either locked up the Big XII North or left it in Missouri's hands by Friday night. If NU wins on Friday there is nothing Mizzou can do.

Joe Templeton 4 years ago

Time for Coach Fam to work his magic

beenahawk 4 years ago

Based on 3rd quarter perfromance this season, save Fam for halftime!

Ben Kane 4 years ago

posting again so every can see. this is a must listen to every year:

kureader 4 years ago

Thank you for the post, chuckberry32. Fambrough's speeches are awesome, and it brought back some locker room memories. There will never be another KU coach who loves KU more than Don Fambrough does! I believe he was 80 when he delivered the speech you attached.

KU_FanSince75 4 years ago

Obviously, I didn't mean "war," like what's happening in the Middle East and Mexico. Nebraskajayhawk, I appreciate the fact that you knew what I mean.

I used to work with a KU alum, who had a son that played for the KU marching band. They went over to Columbia to play before the Tiger band took the field. This was before the games got switched to Arrowhead. As they were waiting to go on the field, several Mizzou fans poured full cups of liquid beverages all over their instruments while they were holding those instruments. I am assuming it was not alcohol because their is an NCAA rule that stadiums can't sell alcohol during college games. Anyway, it was pretty pathetic. I had already mentioned the batteries thrown at KU football players today.

JBurtin 4 years ago

They also had to replace the flags for us a few years ago because their football team puposely took a different route to make sure to trample over them as they entered the field. Not to mention the incident with their team ripping down the goal posts at Memorial.

It's just classless stuff like this that let's everyone know who the good guy is in this rivalry. I expect an occassional fan to do something stupid and classless, but for their program to allow their players to conduct themselves with a complete lack of class is taking it to a whole new level.

gchawk 4 years ago

Along the same lines, some Mizzoo people broke into at least one of our buses a few years ago and just decimated it. Ironically, most of the Mizzoo people don't know why they hate us, they just figure it's the thing to do. They don't understand, or remember, the antics of such people like Quantrill and his merry men who visited Lawrence during the Civil War and did their best to wipe it off the map, twice, all because we were a "free state" and they didn't like our anti-slavery stance. This is when, and why, the "boarder wars" began.

John Mueller 4 years ago

if it's a war, we're in deep doo doo, cuz they got George Patton and we got Gomer Pyle.

KU_FanSince75 4 years ago

@ springtxhawk---- I got a good laugh out of that post----thanks!

dtownhawkfan 4 years ago

i hate misery. We're going to win this weekend I decided

tauck 4 years ago

springtx Now that is FUNNY!!!

grandpa 4 years ago

troutsee, I agree with you. KU can win this game but we are going to need an all out effort from both our offense and defense. Some sensible play calling could also help us a bunch. Good Luck to all KU boys especially my grandson #81.Wish I could be there but I will be watching my Texas TV.

gchawk 4 years ago

Hey grandpa, our best to Johnathan and the rest of the team as well. Hope they kick some tiger butt Saturday.

tical523 4 years ago

Yea, definitely wish J Wilson the best too. I hope he has a great game to help us pull it off. Happy your grandson is a Jayhawk, he has had some awesome plays throughout his career.

Christopher Johnson 4 years ago

Wait, it's border war week? I hardly knew . . . who cares this year. We'll get spanked. Basketball season started and HCTG sucks. I thought it was the border showdown . . . are we dropping the pacifism to stir people up?

stuck88 4 years ago

How does Coach Gill suck? Because he inherited a team that was 5-7 last year and lost 4 of its top players. This team is young, and Gill has some good recruits coming in for next year, give him time he will get the program turned around.

As for getting spanked by Mizzou I dont see that happening either, I see us competing and putting up a good fight. There are many seniors playing their final game in Crimson and Blue. In a rivalry game throw out the records (as indicated by the last two meetings). A team that has nothing to lose is a dangerous team!

Bob Zielinski 4 years ago

Gill doesn't suck but it is things like the below article section which makes you wonder about the coaching staff and how far they have to go in being competitive.

From an Omaha World Herald column:

Pelini is a defensive genius. A source of mine at Kansas said two weeks ago Pelini was calling out the KU plays to his defense before the ball was snapped, based on the formation — and nailing it. But most geniuses have flaws that make them human. Pelini was a little too human the other night.

John Mueller 4 years ago

stuck-

My comment was obviously a bit tongue in cheek, there is no question that we do not have the same talent as the leagues elite

And, I would agree that when there is a significant talent gap, it is tough to solely judge a coaches effectiveness with the scoreboard

HOWEVER (as stephen a would say) With few exceptions (GT and maybe Nebraska), this team has been poorly prepared, has failed to compete for 60 min, has had HORRENDOUS special teams play which is frankly mostly about attitude, guts, preparation and want to, etc.

Further, i think you can look at critical decisions, time management and the ever present blank stare of the mans face / complete lack of contribution on the headset as a sign of an ill prepared, over matched situation.

Before he ever got started, his resume was WHOLLY inadequate for the job. We had moved Kansas to a level one step above hiring the BUFFALO (and not Bills) coach at Kansas.

It was a ridiculous / PC / BS hire. period. full stop.

The man seems to have the utmost character and I admire and respect him for that, but my high school janitor had high character and was a damn fine man. He just wasn't qualified to lead the Dodge City Red Demons into battle (queue the music from Patton)

(Go Gomer! Go Gomer!)

PS I hope I am completely and totally wrong, but I don't think so.