Kansas defeats North Texas, 93-60

• 7 p.m., Nov. 19, 2010
  • Allen Fieldhouse, Lawrence, KS

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Fit to be tied: KU matches Allen Fieldhouse winning streak

Jayhawk fans above the 93-60 final score receive a flying high five from Kansas guard Elijah Johnson following their win over North Texas Friday, Nov 19, 2010 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Videos

KU vs. North Texas

video thumbnail

Kansas defeated North Texas, 93-60, Friday, November 19, 2010 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Bill Self talks about 93-60 victory over North Texas

KU coach Bill Self talks about the Jayhawks' 93-60 victory over North Texas on Nov. 19, 2010.

Download podcast

Nick Bradford, who helped Kansas University’s basketball team win a school-record 62 home games from 1994-98, forever will remember being in the Allen Fieldhouse stands the night the current Jayhawks tied the old mark.

“I think it’s fate I’m here,” said shooting guard Bradford, who played at KU from 1997 to 2000.

He was speaking after Friday’s historic 93-60 rout of North Texas.

“I just got back from Romania,” Bradford said. “It was my first bad experience in eight years playing professional basketball in Europe. I got back and heard this morning they were going for the record so I made sure to get to the game.

“I’m just glad I got to see them tie a record I was part of. It’s great. I want it to continue even longer.”

He sat in a row behind KU’s bench with Lester Earl, Terry Nooner and assistant coach Neil Dougherty, also part of the 1994-98 streak.

“It’s a beautiful thing,” Bradford exclaimed.

Beautiful would be a way to describe a second half in which KU (3-0) outscored the Mean Green (2-1), 57-33.

Marcus Morris (20 points, 22 minutes) erupted for 16 points, while Elijah Johnson had eight and Brady Morningstar five in a half-opening 31-8 run that pushed the narrow 36-27 halftime lead to 67-35 with 11 minutes to play.

“Coach (Bill Self) said to relax, that it would be my half. I got very fired up in the locker room to try to get my team going,” said Marcus Morris.

His brother Markieff (13 points, eight boards) scored nine of KU’s first 11 points as the Jayhawks led 11-4 early, stretching that margin to 21-8 and 30-16.

Self also said some things about the streak before and after the game.

“We talked about it,” said Self, whose team can break the tie by winning its 63rd straight game Tuesday versus Texas A&M-Corpus Christi.

“I think the guys are proud of that. I am proud of it. That team that won 62 in a row in the ’90s … they had some hard-rocking guys. For these guys to accomplish the same thing … it’s good.”

The Morris twins definitely were fired up after listening to Self address the streak briefly before the game.

“Before the game, he said it’s great to be part of something like this. We need to win to keep this alive,” Markieff said after hitting four of six shots and grabbing seven rebounds the first half and finishing with 13 points and eight boards.

“After the game, he said we should feel good about ourselves that we tied the streak. We’ll come out and try to break it Tuesday.”

“Coach came in and talked about it before the game,” noted Marcus, who hit for just four points and two boards the first half, finishing with 20 points and three boards. Marcus had 10 of KU’s first 12 second-half points.

“After the game, he told us good job. He congratulated us on it, and we get back to work preparing for Tuesday.”

Morris actually scored 13 of KU’s first 15 points from the end of the first half into the second. His bucket and a free throw closed the first-half scoring for KU. That bucket was his first after missing four straight to open the game. He hit his next seven shots.

Elijah Johnson, who was playing in his first game of the season after being held out the first two games for disciplinary reasons, netted a career-high-tying 11 points. The sophomore scored 11 versus Radford last year.

“It was very very important,” Johnson said of tying the all-time win streak. “I feel like it was something we owed the fans from before we were born. Everybody cares about the program and the great tradition here.”

Morningstar had a career-high 10 assists, while Thomas Robinson matched a season-best and was one shy of a career high with 10 rebounds.

“The first six minutes were great, and the first 10 minutes of the second half were great. There were some minutes in there that weren’t very good. The last 10 minutes of the first half stunk,” Self assessed. “We did some good things. We did defend their little quick guards better (in the second half).

He was pleased with the fact that Morningstar, Tyshawn Taylor and Tyrel Reed combined for 18 assists and two turnovers.

“That doesn’t happen very often,” the coach indicated. “Brady also had four steals, and Tyrel had three. Brady was really good today. Marcus needs to get on the defensive boards, but he was good and made shots. Markieff (Morris) got us off to a great start. All in all, you have to have balance when you score 93 points and only three guys are in double figures. That means there are a lot of guys with seven, eight or nine (points).”

Comments

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 5 months ago

Jayhawkinnebr----uhh, Jan. 29th---that's the game with K-State----It is Kansas Day (not K-State Day) and big Wayne's jersey is going to be retired at halftime. Oh, to add a little spice to that, ESPN's game day crew will be in Lawrence that day. Really? KU will win that game by 20 points. That is my prediction-----as Dick Vitale has the loud mouth and Dave Armstong responds to his significant other, "Wow," the Jayhawks will win that game by 20. The game I would worry about would be Texas, on Jan. 22nd, seven days before the K-State game. That's MHO----Rock Chalk!

jayhawkinnebr 3 years, 5 months ago

The record is nice but, I predict that the record will come to an end, Jan. 29.

Kye Clark 3 years, 5 months ago

• 3 point shooting. Was great to see so many able to hit the 3 last night. 9-15 overall, 3-3 from the twins, 2-3 from EJ (and his miss looked pretty good as well), Brady 1-2, and Little 1-1. Travis's shot didn't look real good, and not sure how I feel about his shooter's mentality of shooting two on one possession (he made the second of the two shots). And ironically we shot 9-15 with Tyrel, undoubtedly our best shooter, going 0-1. And for the second straight game our opponents were abysmal shooting from the outside. Many dismissed Valpo's performance and did not give much credit to the defense, which was a major cause for concern heading into the season. However, two straight games of this should indicate that our perimeter defense has taken some big strides forward, which is very encouraging.

• Both Brady and Tyrel played great I thought. However, those two leading our team in minutes (26 and 27 respectively) cannot be the case throughout the season. I'm going to attribute it to those two being assigned to White and needing to be in there a bit more, and as has been pointed out by kushaw, they played great defense.

• Withey continues to be a spark off the bench. However, one board in 11 minutes? Much like Marcus needing to be more of a force on the glass, it's pretty unacceptable for the biggest guy on the floor to not get more than one.

All in all, almost a perfect game for Coach Self. Plenty to like and be optimistic about this team, but still enough for him to keep riding them to be better. And of course, FINALLY a ruling on Selby! Can't wait til December 18. By conference play, this team should be scary good! And finally, I liked hearing from Sasha during halftime. Hope your knee heals quick big man, but until then it's awesome seeing you in the stands! Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

Kye Clark 3 years, 5 months ago

My musings following last night's game:

• First off I want to say that I have been highly skeptical about EJ's chances to contribute to this year's team. In the 2 exhibition games we saw little to get excited about even though he saw decent minutes. Well last night he had his coming out party, and showed me that he does indeed deserve to be seeing significant court time. What I was most pleased with was that he performed well in many different aspects of the game, and it wasn't just getting a couple of dunks to ignite the KU fans' interest. Still looked a tad rusty actually running the offense and on the defensive end on a few possessions, but all in all it was great to see him get in there and positively contribute.

• The Morris Twins - they simply make this team go. With them in foul trouble the entire offense sputtered in the first half. Two big runs were keyed by Markieff dominating the first few minutes of the first half, and Marcus dominating the first few of the second half. I'd like to see Marcus getting a few more rebounds, but offensively he was unbelievably impressive in the 2nd half.

• Speaking of foul trouble, that was one of the more poorly officiated games I've seen. Questionable calls on both the twins, an outright wrong call on Markieff, and TRob's phantom traveling call and him getting the foul while going for the ball out of bounds after he was struck in the face. Throw in the refs totally missing a traveling call on Tyshawn in the first half and it all adds up to a pretty awful game from the zebras.

• I too was disappointed to see TRob shelved for the remainder of the first half for what was apparently him double teaming a guy in the post when he shouldn't have. Despite that, I love this guy! His pass to EJ on the fast break was simply a great play by a big man. And what would have blown the roof off Allen Fieldhouse was if EJ's pass off the backboard to him would have connected! An absolute beast on the boards, he shows at least one really impressive post move every game, we saw a mid-range jump shot from him last night, and he continues to pleasantly surprise at the charity stripe. For those who have been somewhat critical of Self's recruiting classes the past couple of seasons - TRob, EJ, and X two years ago, and Selby last year. Seems pretty good to me.

DoubleDD 3 years, 5 months ago

Is it just me or did TRob look like he was grabbing every rebound in the secound half? I have to say I was little disappointed to see TRob get benched after double teaming when he wasn't supposed to. We didn't see him agian until the second half.

I know we're just into the season, but it's becoming clear to me that Selby, EJ, and TRob are going to determine just how good this KU team can be. Right now KU looks like a well oiled machine. Heck Self looked almost happy that the mean greens made the game single digits going into half time. I guess he has to find chances to chew some arse. To finish my comment we fans pretty much know what to expect from the twins, TT, Brady, Reed and the cast, but the unknown is TRob, Selby, and EJ I would throw in Woolly but I think he,s going to be playing alot of mop up time this year. The sky is the limit with these players, and the most inprovement that can be made will be with these players.

ParisHawk 3 years, 5 months ago

kushaw, I really like reading your postgame notes. To summarize, 10 guys played well to great and the ones who played less great just need a little time.

The big question in the near future is: who among these 10 good-to-great players is going to drop out of the rotation?

Self will play 10 for a while, maybe until Dec. 18th, but when Selby comes back someone is going to sit, and come conference play we'll be down to 9 max, just like always. The four bigs will get all the minutes they can handle, so the 7 guards will become 6 then 5. Selby, TT and Reed have to be in the rotation, plus either Little or Releford, and I can't imagine Brady riding the pine every game his fifth year. I'm afraid EJ will be the odd man out when Selby suits up.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 5 months ago

My headline would be "holy crap we are going to be way better than we expected! Oh, we also tied the record"

Benjamin Jones 3 years, 5 months ago

The headline is nonsensical. "Fit to be tied" means you are so frustrated or angry that you are beside yourself. The colon in the headline ties the expression to the KU team. How does this apply to the Jayhawks on a night when everything went right for them? J-W copyeditors, you can't use a double entendre if one of the entendres means the opposite of what transpired.

kushaw 3 years, 5 months ago

EJ made that transition one hander where he got in the air look pretty effortless. That was not an easy shot. His stroke even when he was missing in the exhibition games looked very smooth and it was smooth tonight. Great sign he's knocking down those perimeter shots. I could be completely wrong, but I think EJ is the type of player that needs positive reinforcement and constant praise in order to keep his confidence up. I don't think that is a bad thing, but simply the way some people are built.

Releford: Love his slashing ability, but he's looking to penetrate all the time and that can be counter-productive. He's "Hurrying" at times and just needs to slow down. He'll be fine. I was actually a little surprised not seeing him start tonight, but I really think Self is trying to build some confidence in Morningstar at the moment.

Little: IMO, Little played fantastic and he's the guy that opposing fans and opponents should really know nothing about. He's the guy that gets unnoticed, but when you look at his stat line, it's exactly what he should be getting in 15-19 minutes. I hope Little goes this unnoticed the rest of the season because he did everything well tonight.

Withey: Played great in his 11 minutes! He's still a little awkward out there, but he does change things defensively. I also love the fact that he does try to dunk it when he gets it in the post. That is refreshing.

Josh Selby: Yes!!!!!! He has been cleared!!!!!! I guess were looking at the USC game for his return? That's not official, but he will play this year so that is good news.

kushaw 3 years, 5 months ago

Marcus: Rough first half, but as always played within himself and didn't get frustrated. Isn't amazing how much Kieff and Marcus have come from their freshman year? Remember all the facial expressions two years ago? It is absolutely amazing to see their growth on the court.

Marcus pretty much did it all in the second half scoring 16 of his 20 points and did it both from outside and beyond the arc. Very impressive indeed. My only negative about Marcus is that he needs to watch dipping that shoulder on his drop step in the post because he could pick up some unnecessary offensive fouls. Other than that, great game.

Taylor: Another solid and consistent game from Taylor. Talk about another player who has "Grown Up" in the last year. He's letting the game come to him and he's getting his teammates to their spots while picking his own spots to score. His one outside shot didn't fall, but that one handed floater from about 9 feet out was pretty sweet.

Reed and Morningstar: Yes, I am going to lump them into one category because there have been a lot of rumblings about their "D" lately. Well, their "D" was absolutely fantastic tonight. They both took turns on White and in return he shot abysmal from the field.

They were everywhere on the court tonight and not one person watching this game can claim "They did not play defense". Together they piled up 7 steals (Morningstar 4 and Reed 3) and Morningstar piled up 10 assists. Together they shot 6-9 from the field and it was good to see Morningstar knock down that 3 from a confidence perspective.

T-Rob-From a performance standpoint based on minutes, Robinson has to be the best on the team. 14 minutes and he scored 8 points on 10 rebounds. I think that is identical to his stat line from the Valpo game. I swear, Robinson knocking down that 16 footer tonight brought back memories of D Jack. His shot looks smooth and I hope he continues to shoot that shot if it's open. I still can't believe T-Rob was able to stop on a dime on that fast break, avoid the charge, and dump it off to EJ for the dunk. Now that was impressive.

EJ: Nobody needed this type of game more than EJ. Well, maybe Morningstar did, but EJ looked great. I think it's going to be "Baby Steps" with EJ. Once he starts getting more comfortable in the half court set......over time he'll get more comfortable in getting into the gaps and creating for others. I think he's really trying to "Not Make Mistakes" so he can get into the rotation and start getting big minutes.

kushaw 3 years, 5 months ago

I think these post game notes will definitely be overshadowed by the news that Josh Selby just got cleared to play this season. Not exactly sure what game he will be returning, but it sounds like a 9 game suspension total is what is being reported. Now onto the game.

Offense: I think outside of the final 8 minutes of the first half KU played a pretty spectacular game offensively. Kieff got it rolling early in the first half and Marcus took over from there and played a phenominal second half.

I think the 2 stats that stick out to me most besides the 59 percent shooting for the game is the 23 assists on 32 made FG attempts and the 8 turnovers. You really can't better numbers than that from an offensive standpoint. It was also very encouraging to see Morningstar, EJ, and Releford knock down some trey's as the team shot 60 percent from downtown. All in all, very encouraging and very impressive from an offensive standpoint.

Defense: I thought the defense played good, but not great. I think individually, every guy on the team is doing their part to contain their man and keep them in front of them out on the perimeter.

Guys are getting in trouble a little bit on the high pick and roll after the hedge and the rotation is slow to adjust back which is causing the opponent to get in the gaps a little bit. I'm not too concerned about this because it's a simple adjustment that can be made so it's really not that big of deal to get upset over.

The part that concerns me is the doubling in the post. I don't know, it's a matter of philosophy and I've never been a big fan of doubling the post when you got guys who can play straight up. With that said, Self likes to do it periodically, but the rotation was pretty bad tonight. I just don't think everybody was on the same page because some guys were doubling when they weren't suppose and vice versa. I know it can be effective, but that was a major weak spot in the "D" tonight.

Player of the game: This is a very hard decision because stat wise it should go to Marcus, but I feel given his 17 minutes, 13 points, and 8 rebounds it should go to Kieff. Kieff came ready to play and energized this whole team from the start. If it wasn't for a phantom call (Should have been given to Morningstar) who knows what Kieff could have done in an extra 8-10 minutes. Kieff played fantastic.

yates33333 3 years, 5 months ago

I noticed Withey asked to come out after three or four minutes. He makes a difference when he is in the game. I hope he isn't a three or four minutes at a time player. He will really be needed against K-State and Texas. They have both looked real good thus far. So has Baylor and Texas A&M against lesser opponents.

No one has mentioned Releford's game, but I thought he looked real good last night.

mae 3 years, 5 months ago

heya guys, you will not just try to break it, you will destroy it and take the big12 title in the process. this team is legendary; i've not seen a breakout talent like you guys in years.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 5 months ago

"All in all, you have to have balance when you score 93 points and only three guys are in double figures. That means there are a lot of guys with seven, eight or nine (points).”

One of the best comments and omens of the day, topped only by the news that Josh will be able to play and make the team that much better within a month.

JayHok 3 years, 5 months ago

All alone at number 2 on all-time win list!

Let's sneak up on #1 and take what is rightfully ours!