Friday, November 12, 2010

Kansas vs. Nebraska game ends nation’s longest uninterrupted college football series after 105 games

Memorial Stadium, home of the Nebraska Cornhuskers.

Memorial Stadium, home of the Nebraska Cornhuskers.

Saturday’s meeting between Kansas University and Nebraska — 6 p.m. on pay-per-view — will mark the end of the nation’s longest uninterrupted college football series, as the Jayhawks and Cornhuskers will meet on the gridiron for the 105th consecutive season.

The series began in 1906 and has been played every season since but will not be played in 2011 because of Nebraska’s decision to leave the Big 12 Conference for the Big Ten.

Saturday’s game will be the 116th meeting between KU and Nebraska, good for the third most matchups between two teams in NCAA history. The KU-NU series trails only Minnesota and Wisconsin (119 games) and KU and Missouri (118 games). Nebraska leads the all-time series, 90-23-2.

Though it’s possible that the Jayhawks could play at Nebraska in the future, such a game is not expected to show up on the schedule anytime soon. For junior tight end Tim Biere, a Nebraska native, the last trip to Lincoln will be an emotional experience.

“I think it’ll be a little bit sad because Lincoln’s a great place to play,” Biere said. “It’s a great stadium and there’s a lot of energy up there. It’s kind of sad to see the Big 12 breaking up, but they had to do what they had to do, I guess. Hopefully we can send ’em out with a loss.”

Jayhawks get wet

KU coach Turner Gill said the Jayhawks practiced outdoors on Thursday evening, pushing through the rainy weather that passed through the area.

Gill said the experience of dealing with something other than ideal playing conditions was a positive.

“We were out there in it, that’s for sure,” Gill said on his weekly Hawk Talk radio show. “It’s good to kind of get some of that going. Here in the last few weeks of the season you’re probably gonna have some bad weather.”

Bowl hopes still alive

Believing he spoke for most of his teammates, KU linebacker Steven Johnson said earlier this week that the Jayhawks (3-6 overall, 1-4 in Big 12 play) believed they could become bowl eligible by season’s end.

In order to do so, KU would have to knock off No. 9 Nebraska, No. 12 Oklahoma State and No. 20 Missouri in consecutive weeks to close the season.

“I still have faith,” Johnson said. “I’m still believing that we can get there. I know this season’s been rough and it’s been really low at times but I still believe and I know our coaching staff still believes and all our players still believe that we can still get the job done. The door’s still open. So you can’t count us out yet.”

Webb the backup

Red-shirt freshman Jordan Webb is available this week and will be the Jayhawks’ second-string quarterback, behind Quinn Mecham.

“He’s healthy, maybe not quite 100 percent, but he will be able to play if we need to use him,” Gill said Thursday night. Webb, KU’s starting QB for six weeks, has missed the past two games because of a shoulder injury.

Comments

Jared Grillot 4 years ago

Nebra$ka Cornhu$kers - I am $o $orry to $ee you go. I am $ure that thi$ wa$ a very tough deci$ion to make, moving on to the Big 10, con$idering all of thi$ tradition that you will be leaving behind. I know that you hold tradition to be ju$t a$ important at NU a$ we do here at KU. We will have to learn to get along without you, and from now on, whenever I think of you and football, I will have only one thought in mind:

Go Spartans!

Let's give them a game to remember us, Hawks! ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!!!

Aaron Carpenter 4 years ago

KSA did you just call someone a "loser?" Did you take time between home ec and biology to post this? Good luck with the name calling and have fun at prom.

GoodGrief 4 years ago

Totally disagree. Tradition is a big part of what makes college football special. It will be sad to lose the nation's longest uninterrupted series, and it's depressing to think that money is the driving force behind conference realignment. I just hope that we never lose our rivalries with MU and K-State - can't imagine getting fired up nearly as much for a game against schools like Stanford or Georgia.

As for KU "trying to compete in the modern world," I'd like to remind you that we are only two years removed from an Orange Bowl victory and a National Championship in basketball. On the academic side, KU has 49 Nationally ranked programs. I'd say that KU can more than hold its own in this "modern world" of which you speak.

bg_duck1 4 years ago

sweet name also douche KSA.21.3503 is the Kansas statute code for indecent liberties with a child hopefully you grow up also

Jared Grillot 4 years ago

Obviously this has been lack-of-a-sense-of-humor-and/or-irony message boards lately. (Gently placing good-humored sarcasm aside) I could give two snots about Nebraska leaving. Good luck, have fun, hope you are as tough as you think you are, because if you sit at the bottom of the Big 10 (11?) every year, some of the reasons for leaving will kind of vanish before your eyes.

Why is it always name calling? Is there no creativity left anymore that all anyone has is name calling?

Bear86 4 years ago

Thank Texas for messing up the conference.

Jared Grillot 4 years ago

And then, of course, falling apart immediately afterward. Good thing they're still spectacular in basketball... oh... wait...

100 4 years ago

Let's go Jayhawks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One hundred percent. Every. Single. Play.

"Just like the schoolyard boys, make 'em apologize!!!!!"

haydenhawkco 4 years ago

1968 - the last time KU beat NU in Lincoln. Maybe the Hawks can snap that losing streak. RCJH

klineisanazi 4 years ago

1. This is not an epic matchup. It is merely one of, if not the, longest lopsided series in college football history. Nebraska has never been a rival of KU's because the basketball and football programs have been poles apart at each school.
  2. Nebraska made a rational decision in moving to a much more stable conference. The Big 12 exists merely on the whim of Texas. KU, KSU, MU and ISU were kissing Bevo's behind hoping he would stay in the Lonestar Conference. Nebraska didn't make up the rules, they are just doing what they perceive is best for them.
  3. Go Jayhawks--pull off a stunner in Lincoln!

Lance Cheney 4 years ago

I didn't really read the article or all of the comments. Who said KU/NU was a rivalry? That couldn't be farther from the truth.

jhox 4 years ago

I'm personally glad we won't be playing them regularly anymore. It has pretty much been an automatic annual loss for us the last 42 years, with a couple of recent exceptions. It's hard to gain footing when you're trying to build a program, when you have 2 or 3 automatic losses on your schedule every year.

The Big 10 is usually pretty weak, so I don't expect this, but I would love to see them go to the Big 10 and be a middle of the pack type of football program up there.

Texas did have a lot to do with their leaving, and deserves a lot of the blame. However, NU has had a "if we don't get our way, we're going to take our ball and go home" kind of attitude ever since the Big 12 was formed.

Adios Bug Eaters. Hope your Big 10 adventure is a complete and total failure.

DevilHawk 4 years ago

Actually, their current basketball program fits the style of Big 10 play.

truefan 4 years ago

I agree that they have kicked our butt in football pretty much every season since the series started, but we are trading that automatic loss for 2 automatic losses. We now have to play OU instead of CU and UT instead of Nebraska. Seems like a bad trade.

Robert Brock 4 years ago

Nebraska and I have something in common: a great dislike for Texas.

Good luck to the Corn.

troutsee 4 years ago

Ya gotta believe before you can do. Prepare and shock the world boys. You can run on the Huskers. Make Martinez beat you with the short stuff. He can throw the long ball but if you contain him and make him throw the intermediate stuff, he can be inaccurate. That's how SDSU came close and that's how a below par Texus team beat them. We can do it.

hawksince51 4 years ago

The longest uninterrupted series? Thought it was 3rd behind Harvard-Yale and KU-MU. Were those two interrupted? I agree that NU made the appropriate decision to leave the Big 12 after things starting falling apart several months ago. NU did not start the unraveling of the conference (I'm still unclear as to whether MU or UT did) but everyone started running for cover once it happened. All the North teams were in jeopardy; NU and CU were fortunate enough to get invitations from stronger conferences. I don't criticize them for looking out for their self interests under those circumstances. Isn't that what their Athletic Depts. are paid to do?

bulltown03 4 years ago

KU did score the most points on NU in school history (76) 3 years ago.

Krohnutz 4 years ago

First, all the animosity towards Nebraska is a joke. If KU had the offer to join a conference that paid them more, treated them better, is the most stable in the country both athletically and academically, and get the hell away from Texas I would HOPE our university would do so.

Second, all the animosity towards Texas is also a little bit foolish. Yes, Texass is pretty pompous about how exceptional they are. And if you don't believe them, just ask them... BUT! And that is a big "butt." If your school had a conference that was more than willing to do whatever you say because a "ZOMG dey might weave us!" fear runs rampant throughout, and a commissioner that is more than willing to get oral whenever you want, could you blame your school for taking advantage of the situation?

Who is the bigger idiot? The idiot that keeps asking, or the idiot that keeps giving?

Nebraska just called UT's bluff about wanting to dissolve the Big 12, most of the rest of us didn't have the cajones. Also, it exposed Dan Beebe for what he is; a UT stooley idiot.

Hey, guess who hasn't lost his job. I know I feel confident about our future conference.....

JayhawkBigXII 4 years ago

You must be a BIG 10 Nebraska fan. So what's your point? The story is about ruining 105 years of tradition. Would you like us Kansas fans to curl up in a fetal position and hide in the corner, Mr. BIG 12 Gloom & Dispair? NU can suckitt.

Steve Gantz 4 years ago

Almost choked on my pb and j when I read the headline "bowl hopes still alive". I guess applaud the kids enthusiasm, but...

Jared Grillot 4 years ago

At this point in a season like this, if you haven't already given up, is there really anything left other than that kind of blind, delusional hope? I say, meh, what the heck - "I think we can still make a bowl game too!" More fun than crying all the time, I suppose.

I hope they ALL think like that. It might help them put up a good show regardless of the spread!

Tony Bandle 4 years ago

If faith can move mountains, Steve Johnson will relocate the Rockies just outside of the George Washington Bridge on the Jersey shore across from New York!!!

Gottta love it...as Yogi said, " The end of a game comes at the end."

actorman 4 years ago

Given that NU has been such a big part of our lives for so many years (especially all those fans who regularly helped keep our coffers full by filling our stadium), I know that I for one will pulling for NU as they journey forward ........ (note sound of scratching record here). And if you believe that, I've got an ocean to sell you in Topeka.

I echo the earlier comment: Go Spartans -- and Wolverines, Badgers, etc. (hell, even Buckeyes)! I hope the 'Huskers get regularly slaughtered like the wannabes they are.

shelleysue 4 years ago

Coach. Please throw more to J Wilson.