Thursday, November 11, 2010

Bill Self addresses issues at pre-Longwood media session

Still no word on Selby; Teahan likely to red-shirt, Woolridge likely to play; lineup uncertain

Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self held a media session in advance of KU's opener against Longwood University on Thursday afternoon, addressing a few topics of interest.

Josh Selby: One Kansas City radio report on Thursday morning indicated Selby would likely sit out between four to eight games (as result of impending NCAA ruling on Selby’s amateur status).

“(There’s) no news. Even though we think the end is coming soon,” Self said. “Trust me, anybody says they know ... (they) don’t know because we don’t have any idea yet.”

Starting lineup for the opener: “No,” he said, asked if a decision had been made, “because every time I tell you guys who we are going to start, I get mad at practice and we end up starting somebody else. Tyshawn just looked at me,” Self added with a laugh, referring to Tyshawn Taylor, who overheard the conversation while walking onto the fieldhouse floor for practice.

Red shirts: He said it was all but certain senior guard Conner Teahan would be red-shirted while freshman guard Royce Woolridge probably would not.

“We could always pull him out, but that’s the direction we’re going to go (in red-shirting Teahan),” Self said.

“I haven’t talked to Royce about it. ... if we visit later today and he says he’d rather not do this (play) and I’m game for it, but all indications are with me is that he’s going to play,” Self said of Woolridge.

Comments

Tony Bandle 11 years, 2 months ago

HHMMMM...I would redshirt him but if needed pull him back active. Since HCBS has about 500 more victories than me, I'll guess I'll cut him a break this time!!!! :-}

JHWK 11 years, 2 months ago

I hear ya, Oak. That was my first reaction, but the coach is the coach. I still wish we had 4 years ahead of EJ, too, but what do I know??

rges 11 years, 2 months ago

I think its a good decesion for Royce to play this year. As much as I like Teahan as a player and a leader I dont think he is going to add a whole lot to the team on the floor and the scoreboard. He is a amazing guy to have in the locker room and on the bench. You flat out have to have guys like Conner Teahan on your roster to win ball games and championships.

Royce could get some valuable minutes this year if needed. I could see him coming in every game giving his three or four minutes to spell Selby, Tyshawn, Tyrel, or Brady. I dont see him scoring a lot of points like he did in high school but if he can come in play some solid defense and not turn the ball over he will be doing his ROLE on this team. I see Royce as a player that does know his role on this team.

I was really hoping to have Selby back with out losing any games but that doesnt seem very realistic at this point. Im so over the NCAA at this point. I have really been trying to ignore the everyday posts of Selby STILL isnt cleared but it is getting ridiculous at this point. Its getting down to crunch time where this doesnt just affect Josh Selby anymore. This is starting to affect the entire program. Coach Self doesnt know who he is going to play what his line ups are going to be or even if he is going to red shirt players because he isnt sure who he is going to have in his line up! NCAA GET YOUR MIND RIGHT AND MAKE A DECESION!!!!

Andrew Moore 11 years, 2 months ago

Connor just needs to keep working on his defense, ball handling and court vision. He's a 6'5" guy who can shoot the 3. If he could become a better handler and passer he could have a big impact when Tyrel Mario and Brady move on from the wing (assuming mario is a wing...)

ahpersecoachingexperience 11 years, 2 months ago

i'm not going to say royce has impressed me but he has looked better than i thought he would. kind of scary that he is not going to red shirt, i hope i'm not reading between the lines on selby.

KU_FanSince75 11 years, 2 months ago

Selby---four to eight games---geeze, NCAA, please make a frickin' decision so the young man can play! For heaven's sake, what the hell are you waiting for?!

4jhawks4ku 11 years, 2 months ago

These NCAA officials must not be big Jayhawk fans.. Do I sense some bias here? As we all know everybody hates a winner. But now they are penalizing the team and the program affecting next years recruiting also. Maybe somebody needs to investigate the investigators like a watch dog committee. They should at least keep Coach Self informed as to which way they're leaning so he can line up his team if only for the good of the players and the program.

waywardJay 11 years, 2 months ago

he better have actually done something to get 4-8 games.... considering john wall accepted money from an agent and got only 2 games, one an exhibition game.

Dean Huggins 11 years, 2 months ago

agreed wayward, in our society you are innocent until proven guilty. any penalty/suspension implies impropriety; until substantiating wrongdoing, there should be no adverse action against Selby. this whole situation makes me consider relocating to canada---at least there's no ncaa bs, ey?

KU_FanSince75 11 years, 2 months ago

All I know (and some of you know the process better than I do) that this is STINKIN' REDICULOUS! Puts a real damper on the season and crap---------the season hasn't officially started yet!

Jared Grillot 11 years, 2 months ago

Gotta say, just makes me hate that sleezeball all the more. He knows the players he's getting his hands on... no way he doesn't know. What drives me nuts is how the Kentucky alums seem to have no problem sitting around waiting for their turn to have a Final Four vacated.

kkoenig 11 years, 2 months ago

This is good. Not because Kanter is ineligible, but because a verdict on Selby should be next.

Michael Auchard 11 years, 2 months ago

The Kanter thing seemed much more obvious to me than Selby's situation does. Glad that the NCAA finally moved forward with at least one of these cases. Win or lose on Selbygate, this program needs some closure so it can move on.

Michael Auchard 11 years, 2 months ago

I saw a Free Selby shirt at the Washburn game.

I think Kentucky had the same idea earlier with their Free Enes shirts. They look nice, though. Stay classy.

Michael Pannacciulli 11 years, 2 months ago

I hate them...really. NCAA that is. Fire all of them.

KU_FanSince75 11 years, 2 months ago

Ole Kevin ruled on Kanter---he needs to let HCBS and Jayhawk Nation know where Selby stands. Sometime before tomorrow's game would be nice!

theajayhawk 11 years, 2 months ago

I think we will be fine. May be delaying the decision a bit and making Selby sit out a few ames is NCAA's method of saying we can't really say much about your relationships, but we will make others think twice before going in that direction.

We need Selby to compete at a high level. I would much rather have a delayed decision that is favorable to us than a hurried one that goes in the other direction.

hawksince51 11 years, 2 months ago

Given our situation with Selby and other higher profile cases, like Cam Newton, it would appear that the NCAA enforcement arm is inept and/or understaffed. These cases are dragging out far too long resulting in Selby being unable to play and Newton playing but putting the Auburn program at risk of later penalties. It seems the NCAA has been aware of the issues surrounding both cases for several months. With the big bucks putting players under pressure by agents becoming such a huge problem, the NCAA needs to staff-up and train their personnel to handle the cases so as to provide swifter justice, guilty or innocent.

100 11 years, 2 months ago

NCAA is being fair. Not a great experience for KU fans that it's taken so long.

But there is most certainly a reason.

For the record the NCAA was publically burned last year with the Wall case. They gave him a small suspension (2 games I believe), to find out after the season he had a nonverbal agreement going his entire freshman year with Clifton, the same Cat who got him the suspension for the small payments he received that he had to pay back.

More than likely they are using the Wall case as formula for what to look for with a nonverbal agreement.

(in essence if Wall hadn't flaunted the Clifton shoe contract so quickly after leaving Kentucky the NCAA wouldn't be so diligent this year on checking top of the shelf acquaintances).

NCAA had a decision to make during the summer:

1. Vacate Calipari's first year at Kentucky due to playing a player with an agreement with an agent (Wall) who had also received money from same said agent.

2. Or check into high profile player's friends.

To this point it appears they are taking the higher road, but as fans, it is strange that even though Wall played illegally last year with an agent agreement already made, why UK didn't vacate the games Clifton's player (Wall) played in.

It really doesn't make sense that UK gets to keep a single win from last season (I don't have the NCAA presidents contact info but we should all write a letter on the Wall/UK b.s.)

That said, this is why the NCAA is being diligent with us; UK's Wall burned them last year.

So we should respect their process, it is fair & diligent, albeit slow because people involved aren't required by law to talk.

Priest Fontaine 11 years, 2 months ago

thank you drgnslayr. good points. i really wish that I could investigate this investigation. I'm starting to get really angry and I've been patient this entire time. I would love to see someone take the NCAA to court and get this mess corrected for good.

onceajhawkalwaysajhawk 11 years, 2 months ago

Anyone know where to look for the game on the internet tomorrow? THANKS!

Corey Shideler 11 years, 2 months ago

if you come to this website about 15 mins before the game they will post a link in the game comments I feel your pain.

KU08 11 years, 2 months ago

I know not everyone has this through his internet supplier, but espn3.com will be streaming the game. I like to hook my laptop up to my television via VGA and mini-audio, and it works pretty slick!

Jared Grillot 11 years, 2 months ago

Good to know it will be on there. Picture clarity is better there than on cable (unless you have HD).

Allin Herring 11 years, 2 months ago

I sure hope we don't have a NONE and done on our hands with Shelby. Having Xavier last year as a one and done was enough!

Michael Auchard 11 years, 2 months ago

I know I'm nitpicking here, but... Shelby?

Matt Gonzo 11 years, 2 months ago

I want Selby to play as bad as anyone but we just have to be patient. He apparently has done something to warrant extra looks by the ncaa. That is only fault of his own. It's better to wait rather than have him play and then get ruled ineligible and ku forfeit games. These early games, he is not needed as much.

Until then...Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!

Jared Grillot 11 years, 2 months ago

Yeah, as frustrating as it is, HCBS is taking the best route and holding him out. Whether he really did something, or it only just looks bad, either way, I'd rather play a few straight up without him than have those games vacated later. Leave that action for Calimari.

onceajhawkalwaysajhawk 11 years, 2 months ago

TO Bellyofthewhale- Thanks! I too am in NC with TWC and can't get espn3, so looking for alternative Internet stream...

Nick Cole 11 years, 2 months ago

Off topic: I thought purchasing the top tier Jayhawk All Access pass from CBS Sports allowed me to watch all games that are televised. Currently, there are not options to watch the next two games (only listen to). I can do that for free online anyway. Why would I pay $15 per month to listen to games? Stupid! Anyone on here have the same pass who can fill me in on how it works? I just moved to Tampa and need to be able to see my Hawks kick come hardwood.

kkoenig 11 years, 2 months ago

ESPN Full Court will have tonight's game

David Howell 11 years, 2 months ago

Sure the NCAA sucks ! But after all the past embarrassment they've been through (especially with Kentucky over the past 2 years) poor Selby is paying the price.

If Kentucky hadn't already embarrassed them with Evans, Wall and Bledsoe, I am not so sure the Cal-lovers at the NCAA wouldn't have ruled more favorably with Kanter.

I hope no one is shedding a tear for Cal and UK ?!

Jared Grillot 11 years, 2 months ago

A tear? Heck no, let 'em burn. If the UK alums don't have the sense to call for this guy's head, then they deserve what they get.

packywacky88 11 years, 2 months ago

I just picked up ESPN Full court from Direct TV for $44. I held on and kept asking for any discount hey might have since most KU games are telelvised and I would only use it for the 5-6 games that aren't. The third person I spoke finally gave me $10 credit for 6 months if I ordered Fullcourt. Just one option to try.