Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Keegan

KU’s Josh Selby circling, waiting on NCAA to tell him to land at Allen Fieldhouse

Kansas guard Josh Selby comes off the bench to celebrate a three pointer by Travis Releford during the second half, Tuesday, Nov. 9, 2010 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Feature

Balanced attack leads KU to 90-59 exhibition victory over Emporia State

Five Kansas players scored in double figures — led by Markieff Morris' 14 points — as the KU men's basketball team defeated Emporia State in its final exhibition game Tuesday night at Allen Fieldhouse.

Highlights from the Jayhawks 90-59 victory against Emporia State

Video clips from the Jayhawks' 90-59 against Emporia State during Tuesday night's exhibition.

Bill Self post-game press conference: Emporia State

Kansas head coach Bill Self addressed the media after KU's 90-59 victory over Emporia State University Tuesday, November 9, 2010 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Travis Releford discusses victory over ESU

Sophomore guard Travis Releford addressed the media after KU's 90-59 victory over Emporia State University Tuesday, November 9, 2010 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 90-59 exhibition victory over Emporia State on Nov. 9, 2010.

Download podcast

It’s such a weird dynamic, watching a college basketball team play exhibition games without having a clue if or when a player who might be its best pure talent will be allowed to play.

For now, without Josh Selby, the exciting guard whose amateur status is ... being ... reviewed ... by ... the ... N ... C ... A ... A ... still, Kansas doesn’t have the feel of a particularly deep team on the perimeter or the post, at least until reserve center Jeff Withey builds enough conditioning to play at his best. It also might be a team that is one long-range shooter short for the moment.

The most nagging aspect of Selby having to watch games in street clothes involves the indefinite nature of it. It feels like being on an airplane circling an airport that’s closed, not knowing whether you’ll be able to land in 15 minutes or have to divert to Omaha. At least the Omaha option could set the wheels in motion as to how to get back home.

Other than Late Night, all Selby’s magic here has taken place behind closed practice doors. If that’s frustrating for those who pay to see the Jayhawks play in Allen Fieldhouse, imagine how Selby must feel, reduced to spectator status when all he wants to do is play. To the rest of us outside the practice walls, Selby is like the wrapped Christmas present placed under the tree way ahead of time, which makes time crawl and steals some of the luster from Friday night’s regular-season opener against Longwood University from Farmville, Va.

The show must go on without Selby, and nobody must inform backers of Longwood of that reality. The athletics portion of the school’s website, longwoodlancers.com, has a ticker counting down the days, hours, minutes and seconds until Longwood tips off against the nation’s No. 7 team.

It’s difficult to draw too many conclusions about KU from Tuesday night’s 90-59 drilling of Emporia State. Thomas Robinson had little trouble down low, collecting 12 points, 10 rebounds and four blocked shots, but don’t forget, he looked like a shorter version of Wilt Chamberlain in one of last year’s exhibitions, or so I wrote. Travis Releford scored 12 points on 5-of-6 shooting, but drives to the hoop will encounter taller, quicker, roadblocks when the competition stiffens. Scoring isn’t the most important role for him.

“Coach says if you can defend you can play, so that’s what I try to do so I can stay on the court as much as possible,” Releford said.

Asked what position he feels most comfortable guarding, Releford said, “One, two and three. It really doesn’t matter. I feel I can keep anybody in front of me with my length and my quickness.”

He’ll learn in time that less dribbling in order to keep the ball moving will help him earn minutes, too. Mario Little played poor defense in the first half, but pleased coach Bill Self with his second-half play at that end of the court. It will take facing quicker players to judge how much Elijah Johnson’s defense has improved, and Royce Woolridge doesn’t yet have the look of a rotation player.

This much is certain on the uncertainty front: If and when the NCAA clears Selby, everyone will become a better player, and the team will feel more like a team.

Comments

FairgroveJayhawk 4 years, 1 month ago

"It feels like being on an airplane circling an airport that’s closed"

Nah, the airport's open, they're just clearing snow from the runway with table spoons.

FairgroveJayhawk 4 years, 1 month ago

I don't know Oakville, last time you made a prediction I tracked these boards like an mu grad looking for a hand out. I don't want to get my hopes up... :)

Tony Bandle 4 years, 1 month ago

I totally understand....just assume these four words behind any of my gut feelings.... "but I could be wrong!" :)

jhox 4 years, 1 month ago

Releford got to the basket against bigger teams as a Freshman, so there is no reason to think he won't this year. The kid is a natural scorer. I felt one of Self's biggest mistakes 2 years ago was not playing him more. He was the potential 3rd scorer that team so badly needed. His shot may not have been pretty, but he's one of those guys who just seems to accumulate points. His 3 last night looked really pure. It's obvious he's been working hard on his shot.

Mike Bratisax 4 years, 1 month ago

The Never Ending Story. Wake up NCAA and clear him!

beakem_hawks 4 years, 1 month ago

The NCAA knows exactly when they will deem Selby eligible. They aren't saying when just to keep Selby thinking about what ever he was involved with. Eventually they will clear him to play after a handful of games. I'm sure they think its more of a punishment to keep him guessing when he can play versus giving an exact date which is rediculus to do to a student athlete.

KU_FanSince75 4 years, 1 month ago

NCAA is like your local post office----no competition! I guess they can take your time. I know if I took my time at work I would not be employed at my workplace----unbelievable!

tahawk81 4 years, 1 month ago

UPS and Fedex have been doing a fine job of putting the post office out of business. Thats why I wont to see mega conferences band together and put the NCAA out of business-provided we are a part of one of those conference of course.

Selbyville 4 years, 1 month ago

UPS is the pinnacle of shipping, and I am a company man :D

DCLawHawk 4 years, 1 month ago

You might say that the NCAA runs the loosest ship in the scholarshipping business...

Sally Presson 4 years, 1 month ago

It's criminal what they're doing to Josh. Yeah, they can take their sweet time in clearing Josh, but enough is enough!!! It's a shame no one has leverage on them to get their job done in a timely manner. I agree they know they're going to free him, they love the attention they're getting with all the talk and anticipation. What a bunch of jerks! Hang in there josh, the Jayhawk Nation loves you and is anxiously awaiting the day you get to play.

Rock Chalk

Ryan Wilson 4 years, 1 month ago

FREE SELBY!!!! we need to make some shirts

Tony Bandle 4 years, 1 month ago

11/27/10....for all the previous posts, I totally hope I'm off by 15 days!!!

Tony Bandle 4 years, 1 month ago

Friday, Nov.12 would work just fine!!!

KuKain 4 years, 1 month ago

Ugh, f'n ESPN. They put up a rumor that says this....

"Kansas gets their point guard: http://es.pn/au382w No, not Selby"

I got a rush of excitement, then major let down. @#!% you ESPN.

map85 4 years, 1 month ago

Please do some actual reporting and at least TRY to get some sort of clarification from the NCAA. There are two sides to this story and it's just sloppy and irresponsible journalism to only report one one of them.

kureader 4 years, 1 month ago

So, you think the NCAA would agree to a conversation with Keegan to give its side of the story? The NCAA won't even show its hand to KU. The "NCAA gods" don't have to explain themselves, because no one really "oversees the overseer".

Besides that, Keegan wasn't taking sides nor did he criticize the NCAA, though I certainly would. The NCAA has had more than enough time to figure this out.

So, far be it from me to defend Keegan, but he simply wrote a timely article about a player we're all excited about ... nothing wrong with LJW's reporting this time.

Ron Prichard 4 years, 1 month ago

I rip on Keegan all the time but I'm not sure what your problem is with this article. There is no way the NCAA will comment to anyone--let alone a newspaper reporter--about what is going on with Selby's investigation or when he will be cleared.

Frankly, I agree with 99% of the rest of the free world (not just KU fans) in that the NCAA needs to get it's act together on things like this. The policy should be that if a decision has not been made on a basketball player's eligibility by X date, then they are free to play until told otherwise. Any games they played in will not be forfeited if the player is later deemed ineligible. There could be a specific date for football, track, etc, and it would avoid situations like these.

There is no need for the NCAA to continue to drag its feet on this. If they have something on Selby, then declare him ineligible. If not, clear him. What are they going to find out in the next couple of weeks that they don't already know?

kureader 4 years, 1 month ago

Actually, your idea is a good one. Right now, Selby is considered guilty of some wrongdoing until the NCAA says otherwise. That's like holding a guy in jail when noone even knows if he did anything wrong. I understand there is such a thing as a suspension, but there should be a limit to how long the NCAA can punish someone without validating their accusations.

chalmers2wright 4 years, 1 month ago

The only problem with this is that it would entice people to be uncooperative with the NCAA in hopes waiting for that day to come so they won't get in trouble.

wyojhawk 4 years, 1 month ago

Hey all. I think we need to call the ncaa and voice our concerns for Josh. Lets do it....Phone: 317/917-6222 Fax: 317/917-6888

Jetson 4 years, 1 month ago

Please....do NOT do that. That is probably the worst thing you can do for KU and Selby at this point.

Ryan Wilson 4 years, 1 month ago

Yeah, do not do this.... the NCAA has their head so far up their butts, this would only provoke them to probe further into their intestines...

tahawk81 4 years, 1 month ago

I think this team is in trouble until Selby comes back. And when he does come back he needs to be able to shoot it from the outside. Teams will play a zone and make us shoot the outside shot. Until we start to warm up from out there I think we will be a good team. But not good enough to win the Big 12 or to make a deep run in March. If Josh isnt back by Vegas we could be looking at our first L.

tis4tim 4 years, 1 month ago

Oakville,

What are you trying to say? Out with it, man.

Tony Bandle 4 years, 1 month ago

I've posted earlier that Kansas should have no trouble with their first five games even without Josh. This brings us to Saturday, Nov. 27th KU vs Arizona on KU's first ESPN broadcast who would love nothing better than 2010's #1 recruit make his college debut on their network.

Thus, the NCAA looks like they have done their due diligence for taking so God awful long, Kansas as a team is not punished because of the fodder we play in the first five games and ESPN gets an extra ratings boost with Josh added to the mix.

I am not saying I approve...it truly sucks, but watching the NCAA for 40 years, it just seems to make sense in their warped universe.

Trust me, I will be the happiest poster if I am totally wrong!!!!!!.....as long as it's sooner!!

tis4tim 4 years, 1 month ago

I was just having a little fun with you. You've been saying for some time you think he'll be cleared in time for the ESPN tilt versus 'Zona.

I guess I should have done the "winky" emoticon after my post.

That said, I agree with your logic. However, you're ascribing said logic to a collective that is completely devoid of it much of the time, best I can tell. To suggest they have a motive for their dawdling implies forethought and foresight, something I'm not convinced the NCAA possesses.

wyojhawk 4 years, 1 month ago

Ok. BAD idea... Lets just hope Josh is free soon and KU can move forward.. Rock Chalk....

Ryan Wilson 4 years, 1 month ago

The whole investigation is a load of crap. My biased opinion is, if Selby was playing at Duke or Kentucky he would be cleared by now... take that for what its worth.... But seriously, Selby's mom knew this guy since Josh was in grade school. The man has been a father figure to him almost his whole life. How could this guy possibly have had the foresight that Josh would be as highly ranked as he is that long ago. Beyond that, it's only a violation if Josh accepted money or gifts from him. Which over that long of a time period it is nearly impossible to keep track whether he did or not. To simply go to a person you've known your whole life for advice is not even remotely close to breaking NCAA rules. The humane thing to do at this point is to at least suspend him a few games so both Josh and the rest of the Jayhawk nation can be at peace about it. Just my opinion....

Ben Kane 4 years, 1 month ago

my biggest takeaway from last night is with or without Selby, Royce needs to redshirt.

kureader 4 years, 1 month ago

So you think basketball players should only play organized basketball 4 months a year for their high school basketball team? The idea of organized, year-around basketball (or soccer, volleyball, swimming, track, etc) is rediculous why?

RokChlk 4 years, 1 month ago

With our luck Enes Kanter will be cleared to play before Josh.

kkoenig 4 years, 1 month ago

When does Selby run afoul of this NCAA specification:

2009-89 Amateurism – Validity of amateur status – Eligibility for practice or competition – Temporary certification – Recruited student-athlete – 45-day period. Status: Adopted.

To specify that a student-athlete may practice, but not compete, for a period of 45 days before his or her amateur status has been certified by the NCAA Eligibility Center.

Tallhawk 4 years, 1 month ago

John Wall was cleared last year by this time, I do not think the longer this goes on it will benefit Selby / Kansas (IMO) what other cases are the NCAA looking into besides Selby and the player from Kentucky that would take this long.

Benjamin Piehler 4 years, 1 month ago

agreed. way too many bad omens and rumors going around.

jhox 4 years, 1 month ago

I still believe this is the NCAA's way of punishing someone for something they can't prove, but suspect. In effect, he's serving his probationary period while they keep him waiting.

dynamitehawk 4 years, 1 month ago

NCAA, you are probably reading this. Most corporate pimps like you (those who profit off typically young people who make very little so you can line your pockets) hire people to scour public feedback and feed the greedy folks running the business with information. So here’s the deal: Josh Selby is going to be a pro. Many people on campus know (much like when surely at least one lucky young dude knew Samantha Ryan was going to be a pro...) that Josh is going to be a pro. You know he’s going to be a pro. There’s no evidence that Josh took money. You know he’s going to make money. So do you. What crime is making money, pimp?

Scott Smetana 4 years, 1 month ago

Did the NCAA seriously admit that the reason for delay's is that it's understaffed? Give me a freakin break!! How many Billions do they bring in? How many Millions did they get for leaving KC? Can u say inefficient? These kid's careers, teams, and programs are on the line. Auburn, Kentucky, KU, North Carolina, etc... all being screwed.

How long can it take to take 3-4 people to make a few phone calls to look into allegations? Answer = 2 weeks MAX. Once cleared, a program should not be punished if some major piece of evidence surfaces (if the program had nothing to do with it).

Joe Baker 4 years, 1 month ago

PPS- We're KU! It's a stupid bias against KU. Like most have said, if it were dook or heels, he would be cleared. I'm also convinced they are doing this to create exactly what's happening, disruption.
They know what they're doing and why they're doing it. Selby, KU and everyone is pissed. But, it won't do any good to get militant about it, call, email or fax any crap. It will only make them all the more stubborn.

It's just the most helpless feeling and Selby has to use this to keep his mind straight, focused and concentrate on his classes. Let's not allow the NCAA to do anymore to KU than they've already done with this debacle.

hailtoku 4 years, 1 month ago

Enes Kanter was declared INELIGIBLE today!!!

Holy cow... NCAA is not messing around.

Makes me nervous.

Brian Conrad 4 years, 1 month ago

maybe they will let Josh play now... I think Kanter deal was good , It was obvious.. now they can move to Selby and get him cleared. Kanter was proven to take money. there is nothing even similar being said about Selby. they will give him slight penalty for even being around an agent.. to send message .. but this happens daily . the NCAA has nothing compared to Wall NCAA needs to rule . if you want to send message to these kids , put in some high school sessions on conduct while you are making a killing off these kids. it should be the point of the NCAA to contact these kids in high school with the NCAA rules , if they even know what they are????

Eric Schneider 4 years, 1 month ago

Personally I think Kanter got a raw deal. Kanter, not Kentucky and Coach Criminal. He's permanently ineligible over $33,000.00. Meanwhile Kyle Parker is the starting QB for Clemson. In July he cashed a check for $1.4 million from the Rockies. C.J. Henry received a $1.6 million bonus from the Yankees. Yes, I realize it's a different sport. But come on NCAA. You need to do a better job of defining amateurism to me. He should be suspended for the first semester. He's taking a shot in the face that the NCAA aimed at Calipari. They know he's crooked, they just can't prove it. So they take it out on Kanter.

As for the Selby issue. I think part of the problem, is that this is a unique case. Robert Frazier was a family friend before Josh was born. It doesn't take a genius to figure out he will represent Selby once he's ready to give up his eligibility. But is that either parties fault? There was no way for Frazier to know that Ms. Selby was going to give birth to a future NBA Lottery pick. I expect this to be resolved in a week or two. And I would be shocked if Josh had to miss further games, other than those he may miss waiting for the decision.