Kansas defeats Emporia State, 90-59

• 7 p.m., Nov. 9, 2010
  • Allen Fieldhouse, Lawrence, KS

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Big things to come? Robinson powers Jayhawks

Kansas forward Thomas Robinson swats a shot by Emporia State forward Matt Boswell during the first half, Tuesday, Nov. 9, 2010 at Allen Fieldhouse. At right is Kansas guard Elijah Johnson.

Feature

Balanced attack leads KU to 90-59 exhibition victory over Emporia State

Five Kansas players scored in double figures — led by Markieff Morris' 14 points — as the KU men's basketball team defeated Emporia State in its final exhibition game Tuesday night at Allen Fieldhouse.

Videos

KU vs. Emporia State

video thumbnail

Kansas defeated Emporia State, 90-59, Tuesday, November 9, 2010 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 90-59 exhibition victory over Emporia State on Nov. 9, 2010.

Download podcast

Former Kansas University basketball center Sasha Kaun and his newlywed bride, ex-Jayhawk soccer player Taylor Blue, stopped by Allen Fieldhouse to watch basketball practice the other day.

“Like I told my wife, I really like Thomas,” Kaun, one of the heroes of the 2008 NCAA championship season, said, referring to KU sophomore power forward Thomas Robinson.

“Once he gets the game down a little bit, he’s going to be really good.”

Kaun — the CSKA Moscow player is back in the U.S. for three months rehab following last week’s knee surgery — made those comments before the 6-foot-9, 237-pound Robinson’s stellar 12-point, 10-rebound effort in the Jayhawks’ 90-59 exhibition drubbing of Emporia State on Tuesday at Allen Fieldhouse.

Had the game counted, it would have marked the second starting appearance, and second double-double, of the Washington, D.C., native’s career. He had 15 points and 10 boards against Alcorn State his rookie season. His other start was at Nebraska.

“Starting the game out with a dunk was a big energy boost,” said Robinson, who hit the boards to slam a Tyrel Reed miss, giving KU a 4-0 lead. Shortly after, Robinson skied to ram a missed Reed free throw, providing the Jayhawks an early 12-3 advantage.

“I’m feeling a lot more comfortable on the court. My knowledge of the game is way higher than when I was a freshman,” Robinson said.

He had two blocks the first half and two the second, accounting for half of KU’s eight rejections.

“I can block shots when I play to my athletic ability. With Cole gone, somebody has to step up and do what he did, or do some of the things he did,” Robinson said of Oklahoma City Thunder rookie Cole Aldrich, an intimidating defensive factor for KU.

Robinson — he said it really doesn’t matter to him whether he starts or comes off the bench — hit four of seven shots and four of six free throws in 23 minutes.

“Thomas was nervous,” KU coach Bill Self said. “He did some good things. He got a couple of offensive putbacks. He can play ... so big some possessions and so small other possessions. It’s unbelievable. Consistency will come with him with repetition and playing time. Thomas is going to be Thomas, which is good.”

He was one of five players to score for in double figures. Travis Releford hit five of six shots and scored 12 points, while Marcus Morris also scored 12. Markieff Morris had a team-leading 14 points, while Tyshawn Taylor had 10.

Robinson was the only player to record a double-double, however, on a night another former KU big man standout watched the action.

“Since he’s been here, everybody’s been talking about his body, and it’s there,” colorful ex-NBA pivot Scot Pollard said. “He’s gotten better at using that body. For him, it’s important to keep the ball up and go up strong with the ball like Mario Little (seven points, two rebounds, three steals). Mario is a small big man who has a good base. His feet are square, solid, and he goes up strong with the ball.

“Thomas can learn from Mario. It’s the same thing I learned from Richard Scott, who (like Little) was another undersized power forward. It’s weird, but sometimes big guys can learn from smaller guys. The fundamentals that make smaller guys effective in the post, big guys can put to use. It’s something Thomas needs to do,” Pollard added.

Pollard borrowed a line from the movie “Swingers” to make his final point.

“He has to learn to use those bear claws effectively,” Pollard said. “(It was said in movie) ‘You’ve got these bear claws. Man you don’t even know how to use ’em.’ He’s still learning how to use those bear claws,” Pollard said.

Next chance is Friday’s against Longwood. Tipoff for the regular-season opener is 7 p.m. in Allen Fieldhouse.

Comments

Dirk Medema 10 years ago

Scorching the FT's again - very nice! 50% opponent FG (2nd half) again - not so nice.

Michael Pannacciulli 10 years ago

Is Pollard angling for a job at KU? Maybe the eventual Manning replacement? He's got to be itching to be closer to the game I would imagine. Sure he's a wealthy man now, but probably bored somewhat.

TRob is a beast. If he puts it all together all the time - watch out.

FREE SELBY!

Observations and Notes:

-Unique starting lineup for opening tip. The lineup played pretty darn well for the first 5 minutes with Morningstar, Reed, Releford, T-Rob, and Kieff. Obviously, Self was testing the lineup to see if it worked and for a big stretch it did work.

He changed that lineup at the start of the second half with 4 new players in Taylor, EJ, Reed, Little, and Marcus. That lineup got off to a slow start to start the second.

-Had quite a few rotation problems, especially in the first, with defensive assignments. Nothing a little tape watching can't fix.

Players of the Game: I have to give the game ball split in half to T-Rob and T. Releford. T-Rob came to attack from opening tip and it was great to see him get some nice tip dunks. Great overall game with the double double. It was also nice to see him pass out of the double team and take his time in the post. Great Game.

Releford got the first game jitters out the way and it's looking like he's playing himself into the main rotation. He slashed very effectively and took what the defense gave him. Had some cuts to the basket when the post had the ball and Kieff found him with a nice dump down. If Releford can hit a couple "3's" a game and knock down some outside shots.........then lookout. He's got a chance to be really good. McLemore may have to take note of this situation for future years.

Best of the rest:

Kieff: He is just going to be one consistent player for the entire season. Yes, he got into foul trouble, but Self would never let him pick up that 3rd foul in the first half. I thought Kieff had a couple of bogus calls, but nonethelss took care of the boards. He's also got that turn around jumper "Simien Like" on the post where he turns over his right shoulder that looks eerily similar.

Marcus: Looked a little out of sync to start, but He's going to be KU's concrete block. Short armed a couple of shots, but not going to be worried about Marcus at all.

Taylor: Had a great game and his quickness is evident. My only thing with Taylor is what happens when the defense sags off to try and neurtralize his quickness? Taylor has a tendency to drive too deep into the lane. Last night it didn't happen, but the defense had the opportunity to take some charges and they didn't. Taylor is so quick off the dribble that if he could go either direction and plant 1.......2....the 7 to 16 foot shot is there if he wants it. John Wall did this a lot last year and his shot was more consistent than people thought. I hope Taylor can add this to his game.

Chris Shaw 10 years ago

Morningstar-I actually liked Morningstar at the point. He didn't have a lot of pressure on him, but he knows the offense, controlled the tempo, and looked very confident handling the ball. His post entry passes were perfect last night. He missed a couple of shots, but that will come once the rotation gets a little more consistent.

Reed-Reed looked quicker last night than I think I've ever seen him. That steal and then the oop to Marcus was awesome. That play showed Reed's speed. He had that missed oop dunk attempt from Taylor that looked awkward, but Reed played solid offensively and defensively last night.

EJ: If EJ could play in the open court all game he would be unstoppable. You can totally tell he's "thinking" out there rather than "just playing". I hope EJ comes around and I think he will.

Little: Didn't have a great game last night and struggled most of the night. He never gave up though (I love about him) and had a nice hustle play steal that saved the ball out of bounds to Releford for the lay-up. I hate watching Little play the "4", but that may be the only way he can get onto the court if Kieff gets into foul trouble. Little just looked awkward last night. Little could be on the outside looking in once rotations start getting consistent.

Withey: Had some nice hustle and got some nice "Game Conditioning" in.

Woolridge: He looked better last week. I was hoping for some more time from him last night, but it could look like a red-shirt even with Selby out.

Selby: Free Selby!

Joe Baker 10 years ago

shaw- You know that if BM plays a more athletic and quicker defender, he'll lose the ball. EJ must be that "true" pg. We don't have much choice. BM, Reed and Taylor will support EJ on the wings or help when he gets any trouble. I think EJ should play the pg more often. Let him make mistakes and learn, like Collins did so many times.

TRob- Must own that paint. That little bunny shot and rebound should have been stuffed at some point.

When does Self have to redshirt Woolridge?

Chris Shaw 10 years ago

True: We don't know for sure whether or not Brady would lose the ball against a more athletic quicker guard? He's never played the point, but what I've seen from two exhibition games is that he is handling the ball confidently......more so than anytime I've seen him at KU. Age does crazy things?

There is all sorts of ways at handling a quick defender being a point guard. Take of the ball, control the tempo, get people in their spots, and get people involved in the offense and during transition and you can be an effective point guard no matter how fast, quick, slow, or moderate you may be. All sorts of different styles to effectively play the point guard position. BM knows the system well enough that I think it may be a viable option. I would like to see it tested a little more.

Self would have to redshirt Woolridge before he played 1 minute in any regulation game. He could do it now or wait a couple of more weeks. Woolridge just can't play in any games before doing so otherwise he loses his possibility of redshirting.

Joe Baker 10 years ago

I just think this game may have been an indication of Woolridge's redshirt. We are too combo heavy and he would serve us much better later, ie. Releford.

Also, BM did a fair job defensively against Clemente. I'm just not sure the "old man" could handle some of the young speedy hands in the B12. He is wiser and more knowledgeable, but Kim English might pick his pocket clean. He might do well against the purple kitties and Pullen (not a true point either). Corey Joseph might pick him most times. I really can't think of too many defensively that would give BM a huge problem. I just think the pg must be more athletic, otherwise you have another Balbay!!

Chris Shaw 10 years ago

Make sure you tell that theory to Kobe, KG, Pierce, and Ray Allen.

I agree about Woolridge.

Marcia Parsons 10 years ago

I agree that the oop to Tyrel looked bad, but I thought it was because the ball came to him in a bad place. I was hoping they would replay it so I could see it again to make sure, but no luck. Thanks to whoever provided the info for the justin.tv address for the broadcast, Enjoyed seeing it, but I sure missed having the score posted on the screen. Had to rely on Bob and Chris for the score.

Kit Duncan 10 years ago

It's in the video highlights. Tyshawn appeared to nonchalantly (short-armed it) toss the ball under the basket to Tyrel. He needed to get it above or even with the rim in order for Tyrel to catch and dunk or lay-in. Instead Tyrel had to catch the ball about shoulder high on the way up and was by that time too far under the basket and proceeded to jam the ball on the lip of the rim with his body directly beneath the net.

Look at TT's reaction. He sort of smirks like he thinks it's funny, which in an exhibition game might be. Beginning Friday Bill Self might not take kindly to seeing that kind of reaction to a mistake like that.

Chris Shaw 10 years ago

Brandon Rush had 16 points on 6-11 shooting and 7 rebs in 30 minutes coming off the bench for the Pacers last night in his first game back from his suspension. Pacers won 144-112 over the Nuggets.

NorthStarHawk 10 years ago

Great....yet another Blogger Clogger who can't stop at one post. If you've got that much to say, start your own blog.

Chris Shaw 10 years ago

12 players takes up 24 words on it's own. So, what did you think of last night's game? Not a clue, huh?

Joe Studebaker 10 years ago

Unlike many on here, I work nights and was only able to listen to the game on the radio in small intervals. It is nice to hear a bit more detail about the game and each player. I have always enjoyed your post game notes. Thank you kushaw. Don't let one poster deter you from continuing your detailed posts of the games.

DocBean 10 years ago

Kushaw you don't need to be rude. NorthStar is right, long posts that completely fill the computer screen are annoying for people on here. They don't bother me anymore, I've learned to skip them completely.

I'm guessing NorthStar reads the columns and watches the games like the rest of us; and like the rest of us he probably doesn't need any extra breakdown of the game from an average fan.

Chris Shaw 10 years ago

Not everybody agrees with you. Hey, look at the bright side. You're only going to have to see like 35 more of these over the next 4 months.

Maybe instead of looking at "length" maybe you should take the time and read the "Context". Maybe you don't have time......then skip it. America is a beautiful place isn't it?

AirCapJay 10 years ago

Kushaw... keep up the good work. I for one really like your posts.

PVJayhawk 10 years ago

Why would a long post be annoying?? Long posts are often the most interesting and enlightening. I think kushaw and jaybate have greatly enriched this site with their efforts.

Tony Bandle 10 years ago

PV are you as cute as you sound? :}

Kent Wells 10 years ago

I didn''t think size mattered. Isn't the girth of Shaws posts more important?

KuKain 10 years ago

Some people will find anything to complain about these days. Personally, I love reading posts from Kushaw and Jaybate.

Our advancements in technology have led to such things as something called a scroll wheel on a mouse. An incredible device that will let you skip a Kushaw/Jaybate post in literally seconds. Now, if you're still stuck in the stone age and don't have a mouse with a scroll wheel. You can upgrade for less than 5 bucks and you to can have a scroll wheel. Which will save you literally seconds from having to put your cursor over the side bar and drag it down to skip over posts.

duanep5ku 10 years ago

Hi Kushaw Great post and analyzes of the game as usual, just Ignore the hatters on here because their probably illiterate and have trouble reading. Northstar try reading comics books because it would be more simple for you.

Tony Bandle 10 years ago

kushaw...ignore the haters, too. Sorry, duanep5ku..I'm just a big dope. I grew up with the Three Stooges. Your intent is right on!!

tulsahawkfan 10 years ago

You can easily scroll down if you don't like it. But I don't think it's bad to hear another opinion. Especially kushaw, who is a solid poster. I couldn't watch the game and enjoyed his analysis.

Ben Simonett 10 years ago

i'm with you northstar,

whats worse is he copy/pastes this crap across different websites. and does it after EVERY GAME!

the guy seriosuly doesn't have much of a life outside of KU basketball.

but alas, this is a KU sports website, what did you expect? unbiased intellectual commentary?

Ben Simonett 10 years ago

on a side note, wait until you come across one of jaybates classically terrible "i wish i was a screen writer" posts in which he takes some simple current KU sports event and spends hours trying to write a "funny" set a dialogue between the people involved in the story.

Chris Shaw 10 years ago

Better than typing it up 3 different times. That would be dumb, huh? At least you don't have to read it after Friday games since I'll be out of town.

Thank you for taking the time and typing 49 words all about me. At least you referenced "KU" twice.

mystro 10 years ago

KUSHAW- the point that you are missing is that if people wanted to know all of your observations than you would probably be working for ESPN. Honestly though if you have a main observation that you think others have not thought about, share if not DON'T! After reading your long post I kept looking for new information that the normal observer might not have noticed, and I was very disappointed. Sorry

Chris Shaw 10 years ago

mystro: Good name though. I feel like watching Seinfeld now.

The point you're missing is why are you engaging in a message board? What is your purpose and what is your point for reading the messages? If all you want to read is Cbssports, ESPN, Kusports, The Shiver etc etc.......than stop at the end of the article. Don't scroll any further and leave it at that?

I like talking about the game, especially KU basketball so like it or not some posters have taken that part away from this thread. Now back to basketball.

Theutus 10 years ago

I can understand calling out Jaybate for needing a blog, trying to be the Dick Vitale of these boards making up terms for every other word (trifecta yadda yadda for 7 posts).

But kushaw just posted his excellent opinion on the players games. THAT is what this board is for.

I'm just going to assume you had a crappy day, and you are just releasing some frustration in the wrong outlet. Keep it up shaw!

Chris Shaw 10 years ago

Thanks Theutus! Please, let's get back to KU basketball and Thomas Robinson and Travis Releford.

Ben Simonett 10 years ago

fair assumption,

taking a step back and looking at the situation, i guess in reality, im not so much angry at KUshaw for making these posts as i am at the fact that i can filter/block/ignore his walls of text on these websites.

chriz 10 years ago

Relax, northstarhawk! Kushaw does a great job. Heck, I watched the game last night, and I still like to read what he says!

Steve Gantz 10 years ago

KUShaw's got good things to say, he just skipped school the day they taught brevity in English class. And by the way have you ever read any of Jaybates posts?!

Chris Shaw 10 years ago

Imagine that......Wissoxfan using the word "Brevity". It's not like that doesn't happen every couple of months.

dynamitehawk 10 years ago

This board is different. There is very little typical board banter. Much of the material is rich in quality. I suggest you visit kentuckysports.com and read the posts on the basketball articles. Based on what I've seen, I am surprised their fans have the mental capacity to find their seats in Rupp Arena. I think the majority of posters here are fairly intellectual, and pretty funny, too. kusports.com is my favorite place to get updates, both for quality in articles, and also for quality in posts.

Tony Bandle 10 years ago

Yep...where else can you get recipes, haikus and anti-troll relief. You are correct about the Kentucky website. Far be it from me to criticize my fellow man but there must be a state law in Kentucky that prohibits the teaching of correct spelling.

The big difference is I laugh my a$$ off along with the KU posters and I laugh my a$$ off directly at the Kentucky posters.

Woody Cragg 10 years ago

HCBS was PO'ed to give up that many points to ESU (KSTC when I went there) so the D has to improve. We need to get Selby to challenge for the titles. Without him we'll struggle-in league & out. Lots of role players, but gotta have the consistant talent level play of a blue-chipper. TT could be the guy if he keeps his head out of his a$$ but his track record isn't that great so far. Hurry up & wait somemore on the boys' club (NCAA).

REHawk 10 years ago

A marvelous breakout game for Thomas Robinson last night. Of course, he rarely will play against such a short lineup; however, his stat sheet looks terrific. Perhaps the most glowing stat of which, only one foul. Wow!

Ken Sedgwick 10 years ago

TR only one foul. Very good point. Free Selby!

Ron Franklin 10 years ago

IF you dont like reading his blogs, just scroll through it you lazyAcE. Most of us enjoy shaws insight.

Post your own thoughts, before you go Debbie-Downer on someody elses.

Ron Franklin 10 years ago

I was really, really unimpressed with the D last night. Morningstar did well at his 'glue' spot, but geesh, I wish he wouldn't miss those bunnies and lay-ups. That's killer.

It's only the second game...but the team has a long way to go befoe they are a TEAM. It's pretty obvious they have not figured each other out yet.

I read that coach Self says "a win in the bag is like two in the bush." That being said, I don't think he'll have the patience for EJ to develop that we all hope for. Sel wants to put 'todays' best team on the court, not he players that could potentially develop into the best. So, I think we are going to see a lot more of Brady, and a lot less of EJ than we all had hoped.

Chris Shaw 10 years ago

Thanks Blownjay! Again, it's just one game and we all don't get to see practice, but you may be right about EJ. He just doesn't look completely comfortable in the half court set. What do you do though? It's a tough call. Use an experienced Morningstar or give extra minutes to EJ so he can figure it out and gain those "Game Situations" he needs?

Ron Franklin 10 years ago

If it's me, I play EJ until he figures it out and let Brady ride the pine. Nothing against Brady, but his contributions this year won't even measure up to the value of EJ getting serious minutes this year....preparing him for at least the next two years. We need a leader beyond this year. And we need that leader developing now. Because chances are we lose all of our leadership after this year. I appreciate Tyshawn athleticism, but he is not a leader. He barely has enough focus to lead himself.

Preparing EJ now is much more valuable than playing M*Star this year and racking up wins. I think this team will lose it's fair share of games this year anyway.

Chris Shaw 10 years ago

It's a tough call and very interesting point. At this point, I don't really know which way I lean. I would like to see EJ go through his "Growing Pains".

Theutus 10 years ago

If Self wasn't willing to put players on the court that needed "development", Taylor would never see the court....

EJ will be fine, and he'll see minutes. Once he works through initial jitters, he'll come into his own.

Ron Franklin 10 years ago

Theutus...

If self wasn't willing to put players on the court that needed "development" NO player would ever see the court.

All players need development. No matter how good they already are, they can get better at something.

My point is that EJ has the furthest to go....and there are too many players ahead of him 'skill wise' that play the position better. Reed, Taylor, Morningstar...and soon-to-be Selby will all see the court more than EJ because they have "It" now.

Don't get me wrong...I'm not that big of a Tyshawn fan. His erratic play last year was enough to make me cringe all summer long. But the simple fact is this: he is the 1st or 2nd best of what we have for the Point. So, Self has no choice but to play him.

Self is so competitive, he wants to win TODAY. And he'll do it with whatever concoction he thinks serves him best to do that NOW. Not tomorrow.

Theutus 10 years ago

I don't think EJ has much further to go than Taylor at all... How many times did Taylor end up in the air with nowhere to go last night? How many blown defensive assignments? I spotted a bunch.

EJ protected the ball real well last night, he didn't go for anything flashy, just consistency. It was solid... His defense was a lot better as well, and it'll get a lot better with more PT.

EJ has far more potential than Taylor in my opinion... He just needs a little time on the court. Something TT has had and still hasn't improved much. to say EJ has the "furthest to go" is in my opinion just wrong.

Joe Baker 10 years ago

Theutus- Don't you agree that EJ would be a much better pg at this point untill Selby is cleared? I'm really afraid this may go longer than we expect. I don't like the way it's going. Self must work EJ at the point every game for significant mins.

Theutus 10 years ago

I agree. I think EJ is the best 1 PG we have right now. I think he'll obviously have a couple of brain farts along the way because he's still getting comfortable on the court.. But that's expected.

Fact of the matter is that Taylor has had tons of playing time and experience, and he STILL makes those stupid plays the same as EJ. Right now i'd call it pretty much a draw on their skill levels.

I think people are used to seeing TT, and that's why they are just assuming he's the better at bringing it up. Last night though I saw EJ with real good control of the ball and protective. He slowed his game down a bit to get comfortable, now he'll gradually turn it up... He's got a lot of ability just waiting to emerge, and he's got a head on him unlike TT.

Joe Baker 10 years ago

Agree- Don't get me wrong, TT is a sick athlete but he doesn't think too often. I guess it would come down to who can think on their feet. I think TT forces way too much without thinking.

EJ seems to think before he acts.

I remember Collins made a ton of mistakes and Self kept him in the game to force him to realize how his mistake impacted the game. I just think TT could attack the rim better at the wing. Right now a good lineup might be:

EJ- Just untill Selby returns. This is the time to make mistakes and learn. TT Rel Mc Mk

Ron Franklin 10 years ago

Guys! You don't have to trust my insight. Trust Bill's. Here is what he said about EJ a few days ago during his presser:

"The thing that concerns Self with Johnson is that he's careless with the ball. He's a combo guard, and probably not a true point guard. Self would like to have another consistent ball-handler right now."

If your own coach calls you careless with the ball, it's fair to say you are not gonna run the offensive sets. Theutus and High Elite Major have been going on about EJ for 2 years now. I agree he has the talent, but his on-court skills are still inferior to at least 3 players.

Look at last night stat line: Taylor scored more points, had more assists, more steals, better FG%, and more rebounds than EJ did. And EJ played 4 more minutes than Taylor. In the 24 minutes EJ played, he only had 1 assist, to Taylors 6 assists in 20 minutes.

Proof is in the pudding, Fellas.

Theutus 10 years ago

Believe it or not, i don't just agree with everything anyone does because they are a "coach", or because they are "governor" or because they are "President".

This forum is a place to express opinion, it'd be an extremely boring place if every post was just blind support.

Furthermore, last night EJ was obviously restraining himself to show Self that he could control the ball offensively. He didn't lose the ball at all that I can remember... He looked more in control than Taylor who made multiple offensive mistakes (including jumping in the air with nowhere to go again and again).

So yes, EJ has to go through some growing pains as we've said time and time again.... But his up-side is still far greater than TT's at this point in my opinion.

Chris Shaw 10 years ago

Well said, and that's not because you are a governor. :)

Ron Franklin 10 years ago

You are obviously not listening to what I am saying!!

I am not talking about upside.

I am talking about winning NOW.

That's what Self cares about. It's in his biography. "1 in the bag is worth 2 in the bush"

My only real argument with you is that you say EJ is the best 1 guard we have now. There is absolutely NOTHING to support this claim.

I'm not saying this is how I'd prefer the team to be ran, or how I want minutes divided. I'm just saying, based on watching how Self has coached after the last 7 years....he is going to play todays best payer, not the player with the most upside.

Joe Baker 10 years ago

Blownjay- The point is simply EJ needs his TT moments too (minus the offcourt crap). I think Self is just a little off on EJ's pt. I love HCBS and do trust him on most things. He'd be the first to tell, he makes mistakes and holding EJ is a mistake.

Let EJ make mistakes, embarrass him a bit, he'll grow! But don't hold him back just b/c he makes a few goofy mistakes in practice at the expense of keeping team from playing to it's potential.

BStar (shaw- having hard time with Brady nickname) will be the pg based on experience and comfort. Self has got to take some chances and EJ is his chance.

No one is arguing TT's ability. Look at the chances, opps and growing he had to endure to reach this point. Now, it's EJ's time to experience those same opps. I hope your right about TT. But we all know he's shown flashes of improvements and then poops on the court. Don't get me wrong, I love TT...but EJ deserves his chances too.

KULA 10 years ago

God I hope not--That Tyshawn to EJ fast break was a flash of what this team could be by mid seasaon, as opposed to those three fast breaks that Brady Blew.

KU_FanSince75 10 years ago

T-Rob---nice breakout game and he's only going to get better. This team has a lot of "upside" but I know it is still early.

Defense has to improve! Rock Chalk!

Tony Bandle 10 years ago

Thanks for keeping the avatar, man....it always makes my day!!

ccarp 10 years ago

Kill the bunny, Thomas Robinson! Kill the bunny!

Joe Baker 10 years ago

ccarp- LOL, TRob must own that shot! He needs to spin to the baseline and dunk that shot. He then tried to throw it again, only to miss.

Rock the rim TRob!! Rock It!!

Ben Kane 10 years ago

my thoughts from the game:

Robinson will have a big year. Releford can finish but doesn't move the ball around the perimeter well. Brady is an offensive liability. Reed is very underrated. Little doesn't belong at the 4. Marcus needs to improve his body language after calls against him. Royce needs to redshirt, he will not contribute this year. something tells me EJ just isn't getting his fair shot from Self.

We still give up a lot of open 3's We need to communicate more on D

Ben Kane 10 years ago

Reed needs to stay in his role. you are right, creating shots is not his forte.

Tony Bandle 10 years ago

Observations: 1] TRob will be a Beast!! 2] If the Morris twins get in foul trouble, it may be a long night. 3] Tyshawn has improved....sort of. 4] No matter if Josh comes onboard or not, Royce needs to redshirt. 5] Team Achilles heel category - three point shooting and defense...if it doesn't improve, it will cost us some games. 6] Mario will be overmatched on the front line....every time. 7] Who ever coached the foul shooting needs to work on three point shooting now!! 8] Sorry, the red unis just don't do it for me. 9] The website given yesterday from ATT worked fantastic. Full game JTV coverage plus all the Allen fieldhouse in-house shots and no commercials...I am set for the first five games of the year!!! 10] Summary..team athleticism out the wazoo, team control still a work in progress.

PostScript: That team last night has the makings of being a very, very, very good team. Throw in Josh and that team becomes "AWESOME!!!!!!".

Scott Smetana 10 years ago

Thanks... I wasn't able to watch the game last night.

What do you mean 'Website from ATT'? I'll be looking for this Friday nite. I don't see a spot for Little except for some fill in minutes. Sounds mental to me, I hope he gains confidence. I think Reed is our man at 3 right now.
I see the twins in foul trouble alot. However, if we can get some solid minutes out of TRob (and Withey), we should be OK.

Tony Bandle 10 years ago

PPS...http:www.atdhe.net

It has all kinds of stuff on it...basketball, racing, cricket... just scroll down and find the game you want. UNBELIEVABLE.

Thank poster runningbeakers84 for the info. Check out the reaction of people near the bottom of the article Getting up to Speed:....

EVERYBODY MUST CHECK THIS SITE OUT!!!

ZDKC 10 years ago

I was thinking the same thing last night in regard to Oakville's #2 and #5.

Ron Franklin 10 years ago

It looks like Steve Lavin & St. Johns have worked their magic on Norvel Pelle.

Apparently he has narrowed his search down to Washington & St. Johns, with St. J the heavy lean.

<p>espn.com Mens NCAA BB Teams-Kansas Article in there about recruiting....also mentions McLemore, but nothing new.

Chris Shaw 10 years ago

You know what's interesting about St. Johns? He has 10 scholarships available and has already filled 5 and looks like he's getting ready to fill 2 more.

I feel bad for some of those kids because I will guarantee that not all of them stay. I don't guarantee very many things, but you can "Bank It" that some of those kids will be gone in two years.

Lavin is smart and he knows he can get athletic quality type of players into his new system and feed them, "You have a great opportunity to get significant playing time and compete for a starting spot as a freshman."

Once the rotations get figured out and the two or three players that get left out of the rotation and mix will then get recruited over and be told in a very polite way, "We're going to go in a very different direction and we have some other players we have in mind coming in for next season." In other words, we're forcing you out and we'll help you in every way to find another place to play college basketball. This the hard truth about the college athletics that Coaches and Athletic Directors don't talk about.

Joe Baker 10 years ago

Blownjay- I didn't think we would get Pelle. I didn't like the scouting impression of him either. I know kushaw was big on him. They say he has a strange attitude about growing and learning. St John may be that place for the undisciplined.

I hope he grows and helps St John. They're both going to be good for one another.

KU is the best at developing big men and getting them ready for the next level. Chol, Peterson and Ellis will all find out.

We actually have a former NBA big that is coaching our bigs!! Recruits have got to see that connection. Self does great with guards too. I just don't think Self holds back or uses slick talk on any recruit. I think he's honest and clean with all his recruits. I just think there's a lot of crap going on the NCAA isn't catching. Now, they hold Selby back for some open and public issues that were not hidden about Frasier. Ok, you have to investigate but crimony, clear him already. Meanwhile, how many programs are breaking rules right now?

Sorry for the box, I think we're all pissed at the time taken to clear Selby!!!! Did you see him walk through the tunnel? He didn't look happy! We can thank the NCAA for the great college experience given to our recruits.

Ron Franklin 10 years ago

I'm sick of it myself.

I think when the NCAA takes this long to approve somebody's eligibility they should have to provide support for this delay via a detailed timeline of the actions they took to resolve the situation.

It's time for the NCAA to dissolve.

Joe Baker 10 years ago

Just impose some accountability and penalize them when they abuse a situation.

Joe Baker 10 years ago

Ralster- Good points! I was just discussing the game with some OU freaks and they asked where Reed and BStar was in the game! I just anwered, "Not shooting 3's for sure." I think at this point, Reed and BStar should be the two most consistent shooters on the team. I would compare their ability to former pt Florida guard Lee Humphrey, sr. That kid could shoot the trey.

KULA 10 years ago

I don't understand, why would you compare Tyrel & Brady to anybody who could shoot the trey? Those two are not good shooters, aside from hitting the occasional wide open shot when they've got 3 seconds to set up. Agreed, Brady is wasting valuable development minutes for the other guys. His three blown fast breaks tell you all you need to know--he's not good enough to play more than occasional minutes with this squad. If Self would give Brady's minutes to Mario & Travis, we'd be getting 20 pts/game out of that position. Reed brings good leadership and toughness, but he gets beat on D and, face it, he can't shoot on the move.

Joe Baker 10 years ago

kula- I completely agree with Rel. See my starting five from earlier. I just think with Reed and BStar's experience and leadership, they should much more effective. I am mostly disappointed with BStar. I don't know what happened to him. Here it is again:

EJ TT Rel Mc Mk

ChicagoJHawk 10 years ago

Glad to hear T Rob got a double-double and had a really good game but...it is preaseason. Please don't think I'm trying to be a hater but exhibition games are a really hard way to judge how well a player is going to perform.

I remember last season, me and some friends were all saying how T Rob, EJ, and X all looked like they had been playing college basketball for a while and that they're going to make a big impact immediately. Then when we played tougher competition we found that not to be the case. Just sayin'...

I hope T Rob does have a great season. We really need help in the post, especially if the Morris twins need a rest or get in foul trouble, and Withey is still injured.

thedudelovesKU 10 years ago

soooo....how certain are we mclemore will be a jayhawk? i just looked on rivals.com and it has ku as a high interest and misery as a medium interest. Last time i looked we were neck and neck.

gchawk 10 years ago

Kushaw, I also appreciate your post. What did Withey look like going up and down the court the limited time he got to play? Hope he's a factor with our team, but his "fragileness" really concerns me.

chriz 10 years ago

Yes, Brady and Tyrel need to be situational players, not anchors, on our team. I've been saying this forever: I have absolutely nothing against either of them, and I believe they've done well with their talent, but if they continue to play a significant role on this team, there's something wrong. Either bad coaching or not enough talent.

REHawk 10 years ago

If TRob continues to avoid fouling, I would like to see Mario back to the 3, sharing time with Releford and Brady. Give Releford some time at the 2 with Tyrel and Elijah. Elijah relieves Tyshawn occassionally at the 1. All of this until Selby comes aboard. Overall, less time in the early games for Reed and Morningstar. Rusty players play thru mistakes and get some valuable gametime experience before January. Cater to potential rather than class B dependability. kushaw, I enjoy your posts. Free Selby!

KU_FanSince75 10 years ago

kushaw---I enjoy your posts, too!

ralster----I enjoy your avatar.

chuckberry----I enjoy the fact that you are a KU soldier in Kentucky territory.

oakville---I enjoy your opinions and the fact that your Rams will give my Chiefs a good game.

dynamite--- I love the fact you tell it like it is---no beating around the bush.

Jaybate--- I love it when I get in trouble with my wife reading your posts because it takes all frickin' night to do so.

What the heck----I enjoy everybody's posts, except muazla and any other troll that comes on this site! Rock Chalk everyone!

Tony Bandle 10 years ago

Don't forget the Contrarians who provide valid and valuable different and questioning opinions: soobawls, anthonyzal, theutus, etc.

Kye Clark 10 years ago

My analysis after the 2 exhibition games:

• Normally I'd say it's tougher to evaluate the bigs due to the lack of size on exhibition opponents rosters. However, I'm not worried about the bigs at all, at least not offensively and rebounding-wise. While perhaps a tad undersized without Cole this year, a 3 man rotation of the Twins and TRob should be as solid as any in the Big 12, and if Kieff progresses this year anywhere close to what Marcus did last year now that he's starting...maybe as good as any in the country. Defensively they have some work to do, although probably not as much as the perimeter players. Good to see Whithey get some game minutes, but even if he ever gets healthy I think he's the 4th big on this team, seeing spot minutes as foul trouble and match-ups dictate.

• As has been speculated all off-season, 3 point shooting looks like it's going to be an issue for this team (despite Greg Gurley's assertion that it should be a strength. Kinda scratched my head at that statement). So far Brady is 0-5, making one wonder if he'll continue to be unreliable as he fell off quite a bit in the second half of last year's season. Tyrel is 2-7, although I think most people (myself included) think he will be OK. TT: 0-2, and just looking at him shooting those last night it is apparent to me he will never be a reliable outside shooter. EJ: 0-5. Unless it's an aberration, clearly his shot has not improved much at all from his Freshman campaign. Releford: 1-3. I'm going to hold off counting on him to hit that shot, although it was nice to see him get his lone attempt to fall last night.

• Speaking of Releford's three, and his play in general last night, you could definitely see the minutes slipping away from Mario Little and being siphoned to Travis following last night's performance. I've been a huge proponent of Little getting playing time over Releford, and Little still has value in that Self could steal some minutes playing him in the post, but right now you'd have to say Travis has a leg up on minutes at the 3.

• Royce Woolridge has shown nothing to suggest he wouldn't be off red-shirting. I know some were hyping him as much better than his high school ranking, and maybe he is, but right now he doesn't look like he's any better than any of the 6 perimeter players in front of him, and we haven't even seen Selby yet. Take the red-shirt Royce. You'll be a great Jayhawk, just gotta wait your turn.

Kye Clark 10 years ago

• The perimeter players have been thoroughly unimpressive to this point. Not horrible, but nothing to get excited about for sure. So many have been so incredibly entralled by EJ, lauding him as someone who needs to play major minutes in HCBS's backcourt rotation. So far all I can say is...why? Not saying I've given up on him, or that you can predict what kind of player he will be based on the 2 games thus far, but we haven't seen anything that lives up to the hype. Of course if he doesn't crack the major rotation there will be those on the message boards whining about how all we had to do was play EJ, press, run...and we'd be in the Final Four, completely ignoring evidence to the contrary. Speaking of hype, we've all read articles and heard things regarding Tyrel, his incredible strength, vertical, and athleticism. I like Tyrel a lot, but all those superlatives attributed to him don't exactly translate to his basketball skills. He's a great shooter and a solid player, but as a senior we're probably not going to see a dramatic increase in his abilities and performance. Brady is Brady. He's OK I guess, plays decent defense (NOT lock-down defense), passes well, takes care of the ball (although through 2 games he leads the perimeter players in turnovers). If he can't hit the 3 his game is pretty pedestrian. I am happy to see him playing without the t-shirt under his jersey. So far Tyshawn has been slightly less frustrating with his play. He appears to be feeding the post pretty well. As a whole, the perimeter defense has been pretty suspect, although I imagine it will improve to servicable very soon.

So...for us to be a great team this season a few things need to happen. One - Selby needs to get cleared to play, and be as good as advertised. I can't think of many really good teams over the years that didn't have a dynamic presence in their backcourt. I didn't see that in the two exhibition games. Two - we have to become at least an average 3 point shooting team. The 3 is the great equalizer in college basketball, and without that as a weapon we will be at a disadvantage to a lot of teams. And three - we need to become a great defensive team. Not good, but great. The potential is there with the athletes we have, and hopefully they all buy in and it comes together. Can't wait til Friday when the games actually count! Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

DCLawHawk 10 years ago

I agree with you icthawkfan316. If somebody's 3-point shooting doesn't improve soon, we may be missing the Henrys this season after all. Personally though I remember Tyrel being a reliable 3-point shooter in the clutch, so I'm not losing faith yet. Whoever said above that Tyrel can't shoot on the run is missing the point. A consistent spot-up 3-point shooter would provide plenty of air cover for Self's ground attack this season. I was glad to see Travis play well though just in case. Maybe no one else cares, but I always like seeing at least one local kid crack the starting lineup (on merit).

Theutus 10 years ago

Why would we be missing the Henry's? Xavier missed 90% of his shots when even remotely contested...

His brother never saw minutes that weren't mop up minutes... Honestly, I don't miss think either one of them would be any better.

Kye Clark 10 years ago

Agreed with Theutus on CJ, but not on Xavier. Whether he hit them when they were contested or not isn't the point. He COULD hit them, which is more than everyone but Markieff and Tyrel can say, contested or not. Also, because he could hit them it meant they needed to be contested, which spread the opposing teams' defense. Honestly we're gonna see a lot of sagging defenses on the Morris twins this year if no one can hit even an open 3

REHawk 10 years ago

I enjoyed your posts, icthawkfan316. Pretty much my sentiments, but perhaps the Elijah comments. I continue to think that his speed and athleticism could be an ideal matchup alongside TT once he plays through gametime inexperience. However, when or if Selby suits up, Elijah might not play more than 15 minutes anyway. I suppose I am leaning heavily on the "potential" side of the Elijah issue: Hope springs eternal. Of course, there is always the flipside of that quotation to be considered: Man never Is, but always To Be blessed!)

Kye Clark 10 years ago

Thanks REHawk. I post pretty regularly during the basketball season, and kept going until maybe this past June, and just got burnt out reading and writing potential line-up scenarios all the time.

I would love for EJ see the court more. I think it could benefit him greatly and would definitely expedite his development. When you think about him and Tyshawn, they couldn't have walked into more different situations. Tyshawn comes in following the mass exodus of all the graduates and early entries to the NBA following the '08 Championship season. Taylor, who was originally headed to Marquette but opted for Kansas when Tom Crean left for Indiana, was rivals #77 player in the country overall, #11 point guard. With Sherron the only returning guard of any significance (Brady and Tyrel were returning, but had seen very little minutes prior to the '08-'09 season), Tyshawn was almost given minutes by default. And to his credit he had a good freshman year. Now think about Elijah. He comes in and is ranked the #24 player overall and the #4 point guard in the country. To put it in context, immediately ahead of him at #23 was Eric Bledsoe, who is now playing in the NBA. However, he comes in and Sherron is still there, having led the team to a moderately surprising league title and sweet 16 run. Taylor returns as a sophomore have played and started much of his freshman year, and had an impressive stint on the u-19 national team. Brady and Tyrel were also back having been with the program 2 and 3 years, respectively, and had played major minutes the year prior. And then to top it off Calipari bolts Memphis and lands at Kentucky, and when the dust settled the Henrys were coming to Lawrence. So you have Taylor who couldn't have stumbled into a better situation, and in contrast you have EJ who couldn't have come into a more crowded situation. What if their situations were reversed? What if EJ had been able to come in with the conditions following the championship season; had a chance to come in and play major minutes and start his freshman year? And consider Taylor, if he had defected from Marquette a year later than he did, would Bill Self and KU have even given him a look considering the guards we had returning and coming in? So much in this life is timing and is out of our control. I'm still hopeful EJ can make the most of his time at KU, but if he's successful he will definitely have had to work harder to earn it.

REHawk 10 years ago

My advice to Releford: Strive daily to master your 3 pt. and midrange shot! You are beginning to play well in the flow of the offense, and your defense looks solid and promising. Prove to Coach Self that your shot is dependable, and you are going to see lots of minutes.