Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Nebraska’s Bo Pelini expects QB Taylor Martinez to start vs. KU

— Nebraska coach Bo Pelini says he expects Taylor Martinez to be the starting quarterback against Kansas this week.

Martinez was on the sideline for the No. 9 Cornhuskers’ 31-30 overtime victory at Iowa State on Saturday because of an ankle sprain he sustained a week earlier against Missouri. Cody Green started in Martinez’s place against the Cyclones.

Pelini says Martinez will start this week if he is healthy and added: “I expect him to be healthy. You don’t know what’s going to happen in a week of practice.”

Backup quarterback Zac Lee (hand) and cornerback Alfonzo Dennard (concussion) missed the Iowa State game because of injuries. Pelini said he expected Martinez, Lee and Dennard to practice Monday.

Comments

100 9 years, 3 months ago

"Pelini also expected to get a name change sometime in the next week."

ahpersecoachingexperience 9 years, 3 months ago

Remember when our d made dude from k-state look like Taylor Martinez?!?!?!?!?!?

Aaron Carpenter 9 years, 3 months ago

Will be in attendance wearing my shirt that reads "Leave if you can't beat texas"

kureader 9 years, 3 months ago

That's good ... too bad Lawrence doesn't have a t-shirt shop anymore for shirts like that.

My favorite t-shirt is still, "KANSAS, Home of North Carolina Basketball"

Rockchlk1333 9 years, 3 months ago

Great, just great news! I'd rather play a team led by Cody Green, KU would not get beat as bad

troutsee 9 years, 3 months ago

I think we can run on NU. The question is...can our defense rise to the occasion. So far our D has been miserable.

kureader 9 years, 3 months ago

I scheduled a dentist appointment during the NU game.

ahpersecoachingexperience 9 years, 3 months ago

Dude. Sitting on an airplane and your post made me laugh so loud. Awkard!

grandpa 9 years, 3 months ago

troutsee. I again agree with you. But I think we are going to have to mix it up with some passing to #81 and of course to others.We just simply do not have the physical strength in our defensive and offensive lines. And perhaps their mental attitude could get a lot better. It is going to be a touch game but there never was a horse that couldn't be rode or a man that couldn't be throwed.

Phoggin_Loud 9 years, 3 months ago

Nebraska has: A 1 game lead plus the head-to-head tie break over MU. Final 3 games vs KU, @ A&M, and Colorado who are a combined 12-15. * A belief that the North title is wrapped up???

KU has Scored 35 points in the last 11 minutes through offense, defense, AND special teams. NU's favorite son as Head Coach. * Possibly found their MoJo???

Is there ANY way the unthinkable happens this weekend in Linclon?

100 9 years, 3 months ago

The reason there is a chance the unthinkable can happen is because we're already thinking about it happening.

Thus it is now the "thinkable" whereas before it was the "unthinkable".

Though obviously the NU wins on paper, the game must be played. Considering we scored 5 TD's in our last 11 minutes of action & held our opponent scoreless, I tend to think both our players & coaches have figured out how simple this game really is.

Again, Jonathon Wilson & now others on the KU team are beginning to get it.

"Visualize excellence."

"Just like the schoolyard."

"Keep it simple & find the gaps."

"From the getgo, and all gamelong, play explosively and with a schoolyard double secret explosive purpose, just like you are 28 points down."

No matter how you say it, it's about the players bonding together amongst themselves & the coaching staff bonding together with them with a supersecret, yet simple & explosively fun plan; I like it when you have snoopers & smokers on the field (plays where the less athletic team's wideouts essentially gauge the open space & the quarterback is keyed into the plan in tandom with Coach Mitchell's A gaps and the like).

This game is winnable.

shelleysue 9 years, 3 months ago

Having left the game after Colorado's last score to get on the road - and thinking it was hopeless - I have vowed never to give up on a game again. EVER. I don't know why I've had such a hard time - I'm the first one to always remind everyone that the only predictable thing about college athletics is that it's unpredictable. Go Hawks!!

KU_FanSince75 9 years, 3 months ago

That's okay, Shelleysue----I think it is safe to say that you were not the only one that left early to hit the road. I had to work during the game so I didn't even make the effort to listen to it on the radio. When I saw the score, I was extremely happy, especially for those players that played in the Colorado game last year. BTW, I predicted that if Colorado loses this game, it would be, "bye, bye, Dan Hawkins." And, CU did just that-----like the Dallas Cowboys and Jerry Jones----they fired Hawkins. Again, I say, don't let the door hit you on the back side when you leave CU.