Monday, November 8, 2010

Like KU against Buffs, Mecham ‘got hot’

Kansas quarterback Quinn Mecham (8) runs through a hole in the Colorado defense during the fourth quarter of the Jayhawks’ 52-45 victory Saturday at Memorial Stadium.

Kansas University wide receiver Johnathan Wilson admitted after Saturday’s wild, 52-45 football victory against Colorado that he had no idea what to expect from junior quarterback Quinn Mecham after Mecham tossed his second interception of the first half with 4:58 to play in the second quarter.

“After the two picks, I was like, ‘Oh, man,’” Wilson said. “I’d never seen him in that position, so I didn’t know how he was gonna react. But he really showed no weakness, and he just bounced back and made plays.”

That’s putting it mildly. After completing 11 of 16 passes in the first half, with two interceptions and one touchdown, Mecham was lights-out in the second half. He finished the game 23-of-28 through the air for 252 yards and two touchdowns. He completed all 12 of his passes in the second half, including three big-time completions on KU’s game-tying and game-winning drives.

“You just use the term, ‘He got hot,’” KU coach Turner Gill said. “That’s what happened. I think part of it is (offensive coordinator) Chuck Long getting to know him better, and I think he gets into a rhythm.”

One of the most fantastic things about Mecham’s big day was that it almost didn’t happen. After watching his junior QB toss his second pick of the day — both by underthrowing open receivers — Gill said he contemplated switching to Jordan Webb or Kale Pick.

“Oh, we thought about it,” Gill said. “(Mecham) was doing things right, he just wasn’t making the physical plays. We thought that he was still doing some things that we wanted to get done, and we just said, ‘Hey, let’s stick with him.’ You gotta make some decisions, and I think Chuck (Long) and I made a good one in sticking with him.”

Mecham agreed.

“It’s huge,” he said. “You always wanna have that opportunity to prove yourself, especially after mistakes.”

In two games as KU’s starter, Mecham has completed 45 of 61 passes for 401 yards, three TDs and three interceptions. Though Gill certainly would like to the interception total to be lower, he has been thrilled with Mecham’s production.

KU competed in both games Mecham started, and the junior-college transfer’s completion percentage of 74 percent clearly has given the KU offense a lift.

However, despite Mecham’s productive debut, Gill was not quite ready to name him the team’s permanent starting quarterback.

“We’re still evaluating,” Gill said. “We’ll talk about it more (today), and we may make a decision early, and we may not. But we’ll take it another day or two and discuss that more.”

Mecham’s more worried about the big picture than anything else.

“It’ll definitely be interesting to see,” he said Saturday, asked if he thought he’d be KU’s starter Saturday at Nebraska. “But I think the most important part is to try to help the team’s success and try to finish up these last three games with some wins.”

FOX to show KU comeback

FOX Sports Kansas City and FOX Sports Midwest have decided to broadcast a one-hour version of KU’s record-setting comeback against Colorado this week.

The first showing will be at midnight Wednesday, and the second will be at 1:30 p.m. Friday, both as part of FOX Sports Net’s “Big 12 No Huddle” series.

Kansas overcame a 28-point fourth-quarter deficit with 35 points in the final 11 minutes. The victory was the largest deficit overcome in KU history, and, in addition to being a new school record for points in a single quarter, the 35 fourth-quarter points were the second-most scored in a fourth quarter to win a game in NCAA history.

Comments

100 3 years, 8 months ago

ATTN KU players:

This is to you from the Cornhusker Nation on the ESPN boards:

Posted by: Blackshirts811 4 Hours ago

"Don't expect the same thing next week Jayhawk..LOL.. We are all Proud to see Turner Gill coaching, but we aren't gonna let ya'll pull an Upset in Lincoln."

53jayhawk 3 years, 8 months ago

The 1-hour No-Huddle broadcast of the KU-CU game was scheduled before the game was even played - you make it sound like FOX just decided to broadcast it. I set my recorder last week before the game was even played.

murph 3 years, 8 months ago

I really hope Coach Seems Clueless is just toying with Nebraska so they're not sure about preparing for Mecham. If Quinn doesn't get to finish out this year (barring injury, of course) as the starting QB, then I'll be taking the "Seems" out of Coach's name. It's bad enough that Quinn wasn't made the starter in the first place. If he gets benched again I'll be driving the "Fire Gill" bandwagon.

jayhawkdon 3 years, 8 months ago

If you decide to drive that bandwagon, I hope you drive off a cliff. You are not needed around here IMO. I hate bandwagon fans. You need to take the good with the bad.

Rivethead 3 years, 8 months ago

Agreed.

And we're all still waiting for the good

Steven Mathew 3 years, 8 months ago

But murph did make some sense. In a lost season (almost a lost one), we need to prepare for the future. Now since Mecham is a junior, we can find out if he's starter material for next year. We don't need to have 3 or 4 year starters consistently. Whoever performs best deserves to play. Chiefs fans can relate to this.

Mike Hart 3 years, 8 months ago

"drive the Fire Gill bandwagon". Murph: You are an IDIOT. Anyone who says fire Turner Gill is an idiot and is being totally unfair. 95% of these players are not his. This team with better plays lost 7 games in a row last year to end the season. Give him a chance to recruit and truly lead this team. Take it from someone who attended school during the Bob Valesente era.. and hapless Terry Allen.

Brad Morford 3 years, 8 months ago

I seem to remember a few years back when KU football was struggling to win football games and a undersized backup QB came into a game due to injuries when we were losing. He not only led us back to win, but after a run at the Heisman, a near national championship, and orange bowl victory, he cemented himself as the best QB in Kansas history. Anyone else see some similarities between Meachem and Reesing?

bennettcl 3 years, 8 months ago

It's Mecham not Meachem for one and two Mecham is listed at 6'2" while Reesing was maybe 5'10". The only similarity between the two was both screwed Colorado in their first wins at QB.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 8 months ago

Seriously! No one is going to question this mans ability to evaluate talent. So far our best qb performance has came from the guy (his recruit?) he put at third string.

psychoanalyst 3 years, 8 months ago

Did Gill beat you up in grade school or something? Every Gill article you are the Debbie Downer who comes along and rains on the parade. I'm no kool-aid drinker but your schtick is getting old.

cardinco 3 years, 8 months ago

Pre-season, all the "experts" said our o-line was going to be the strength of this team. What did Gill do? He went out and got 6 o-line commitments. I'd say his ability to evaluate talent is spot on.

Ryan Shelton 3 years, 8 months ago

I couldn't agree more with psychoanalyst. Enough is enough.

rpboy06 3 years, 8 months ago

YOU JUST GOT SERVED LOLOLOL

jaymar74 3 years, 8 months ago

Thank goodness we had Sims in at running back as he is more capable of the big play than Opurum and adds more speed, Thank goodness we have Opurum at LB/DE as he is doing a good job of causing some havoc in the other teams backfield, something we badly were in need of. Good, no great job of talent observation by Coach Gill.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 8 months ago

Quinn was initially recruited by the last staff. Lots of comments about Quinn not having the physical tools that the other QB's have, but better ingame management. Maybe the continued evaluation has to do with the coaches knowledge that the play of the team is important, and others are also stepping up in ways that they haven't previously. Maybe that has to do with Quinn's leadership. Maybe it has to do with the team (players & coaches) growing together.

Gotta love the evaluation of talent that led to the not quite fast enough RB returning the non-existant pass rush from the DE position.

100 3 years, 8 months ago

Watch out! Now you're really getting Toben ticked off for the game in Lincoln!

I wouldn't want to be that Nebraska QB the way Superman Toben hits!

There should be an over/under for the number of smash mouth tackles Toben gets per game, along with the number of fumbles caused, not to mention the "oh cra'p, I'm gonna po'op my pants" passes....

What wasn't mentioned with those interceptions was the impact Toben had.

Don't get that boy mad in Lincoln!

Rivethead 3 years, 8 months ago

Please. I love Toben as much as the next guy, but he hasn't even come close to facing OL talent like he will next week in Lincoln. Toben is in for a rude awakening.....one of those "welcome to D1 college football" types of games. It'll only make him stronger.

100 3 years, 8 months ago

Iowa State was one catch from beating Nebraska.

Ben Kliewer 3 years, 8 months ago

Do we seriously need to edit the word poop? I mean, am I going to get deleted for using poop?

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 8 months ago

Gawd you guys kill me. Tell me which qb has preformed better? Remember who won the starting spot after spring ball and two-a-days? If TO moved to DE was gills greatest decision then why did he wait for 8 games into the season to do it? If he saw the talent in Sims then he should of played him against ndsu.

Ben Kliewer 3 years, 8 months ago

You're right. A coach should make snap decisions without looking at progress during the season. Because everyone knows, players don't develop over the course of a season. Once the season starts, they all remain the same... By the way, how's your team doing? You know, your team, the one you coach, at the FBS school you make a lot of money coaching at.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 8 months ago

Your right about player development. From rb to lb and ending up at de is a years worth of normal progression.

My team? Not to bad. I'm only three wins behind Gill and his staff! And 2million dollars cheaper.

Com'on k-lissel (snoop style) you made that too easy for me.

KGphoto 3 years, 8 months ago

Wouldn't you like to bring 2-5 Mack Brown's talent to KU, and send Texas Gill's talent? How do you think that would work out?

DevilHawk 3 years, 8 months ago

I am still of the opinion that Gill was trying to redshirt Mecham and get Pick and Webb some actual experience.

The staff needed Opurum to get healthy in order to start evaluating him. Then they needed him to get the basic mechanics down. Then they probably were waiting for him to get back to full speed. Also, DT may simply have been easier than DE while he got back to full speed and learned and improved his mechanics.

They also wanted to redshirt Sims (and Bourbon). However, Quigley and Sands didn't get it done against NDSU. Therefore, they looked to Sims to provide a spark against Ga. Tech...and he rushed for over 100 yards. Since then, he has been the primary running back on the team.

kckmedic 3 years, 8 months ago

I don't believe that any of the recruits from this year are Gill's. I believe that he came in so late that all he did was keep most of Mangino's recruits. Be advised all of you Gill lovers that one of the one's he wasn't able to keep was 4 star D end Geneo Grissom out of Huchinson. He was committed to KU but decommitted as Lew was screwing Mangino and decided to go to OU rather than stay at KU. You guys really need to get off of the people who question Gill. Shouldn't we question why this guy was a stud JC quarterback and ended up third string behind two players with no real college experience? And, as ahp stated, our team's best offensive performance occured with him at the helm. I have been against Gill and I will admit that this win makes me cautiously optimistic but I'm not ready to say that he is the man for the job.

okiedave 3 years, 8 months ago

The NU defensive line and linebackers most likely will do all they can to be in Mecham's face Saturday. Mecham is new and inexperienced and Nebraska is going to see if rattling his cage has an affect. The O line is going to have to rise to the occasion and Mecham is going to have to learn to make some quick scrambling decisions while he has the opportunity. May God have mercy on Mecham on Saturday.

Andy Tweedy 3 years, 8 months ago

I don't know how many of you have seen the South Park episode with Captain Hindsight, but I've thought about it often when reading some of the posts about Mecham. Nobody on this board knows if Mecham was ready to play earlier in the season, and my guess is he probably was not. And wasn't everybody saying the exact same thing after the Georgia Tech game about Jordan Webb? Like Sonny Jurgensen once said, "the most popular player on the team is always the backup quarterback!" Mecham has done some nice things, but he also threw two of the worst interceptions I've seen in some time, and couldn't throw deep into the wind at all. Gill and staff have opened themselves up to some criticism this year, but I don't see it on the QB call.

55jayhawk 3 years, 8 months ago

I've always thought Mecham had the most experience, but not great in both the pass or run. He has proven he as the smarts to make quick decisions and at least the players are behind him and trust him as their leader. Let's back this team because they are not quiters! FYI information, if you have Suddenlink service you can go to pay for view channel 801 and watch the Nebraska game. The price is high at $54.99 but cheaper than driving to Nebraska, two nights in a hotel, food and booze. In Tyler, TX we will tap the keg at 3pm, Ribs at 4:30, and the big screen at 7pm in hopes of a miracle and good showing by the Hawks. Semper Fi and Happy Birthday this week to my fellow Marines!

cobweb 3 years, 8 months ago

Must have been divine intervention. I still think we suck.

troutsee 3 years, 8 months ago

It will make no difference how our offense or Mecham plays if our defense continues to play poorly in Lincoln. Having watched the Huskers on TV a number of times this year, it looks like they can be run on. They have exceptional pass defenders. Hopefully we will be able to run on them and mix it up like ISU and Texas did. We'll have tougher sledding than ISU since Martinez will be playing.

Mechum does seem to have a head for the game and has pretty good pocket presence and seems to be a better runner than he was billed to be. Here's hoping he has a hell of a game.

I will be in Lincoln.

grandpa 3 years, 8 months ago

troutsee. I lhave always agreed with most everything you post. Nebraska has some big, tough boys in both their offensive and defense line.. Our defense just continues to let everyone score a lot of points against us. Since we only have three games left, I will reveal to you that #81 Johnathan Wilson is my grandsonWe are very avid football fans and I hope John and the rest of the KU boys have 3 good games.I agree Meecham has some limitations but his judglment seems to have improved

troutsee 3 years, 8 months ago

Thank you GP. Looks like you did know what was going on during the Mangino fiasco. I remember you took some jabs from some of the posters during that drama...Johnathan had a great catch to help ignite our comeback against CU.

Hopefully our D will be ready for Martinez and company.

Who would have ever thunk that we would lose to NSD or get blown out by Baylor. So, maybe, just maybe we can reverse the shock in Lincoln. Highly unlikely, but possible.

Mark Lindrud 3 years, 8 months ago

We all agree we want Mecham to be the starter and that is obvious. Whether we win the rest of our games or not I am looking for a consistent leader on the field who can make us feel like we have a chance to win. If we can lose by a close margin rather than 59-7 then it is a start for getting us in the right direction.

It maybe we are taking baby steps to get where we want to go, but the team has to feel that passion of a great comeback and feed off of it. The win was great, but for the rest of the year what will team do? Continue to rise or fall? Hope we continue to rise even if it is not in the win column.

prairie_dog 3 years, 8 months ago

NOW do we all see why Mangino recruited this guy when he already had the Pick and Webb???!!!

OOOOHHHH.

Our very slow coaching staff is getting it OOOOHHHH so slowly.

Mark Lindrud 3 years, 8 months ago

I agree you get a JUCO player when you have little or no experience especially at the QB position. We can only hope that now Mecham keeps the spot as long as he keeps playing well. Either way we have someone we believe in and I hope this changes things for the better.

KGphoto 3 years, 8 months ago

Did you really name yourself after a half-turded potential skid mark?

Might want to jump on board or change your name, because I can see this getting ugly fast. You might as well call yourself cloth_toucher or turtler.

And then you post something like... "oooooohhhh" and "ooooohhh so slowly".

Just sayin'. Gross.