Friday, November 5, 2010

Keegan

Turner Gill’s staff recruits with truth

Always tell the truth. That way you don’t have to remember what you said. Unless you’re recruiting. Then you invent words to get the teenager to sign a national letter of intent.

That’s the reality of selling to gifted athletes getting wooed from so many other polished pitch men. But assistant coaches on Kansas University’s football team say that’s not the case with them and, get this, I believe them.

In time we’ll learn whether Turner Gill’s calm, consistent demeanor can translate to big-time winning in the perennially loaded Big 12 Conference, but all signs point to it being a plus in recruiting battles.

In the midst of a losing streak that has reached four games, Kansas received oral commitments from running back Darrian Miller, linebacker Ben Heeney and defensive back Adonis Saunders. All three players have serious speed.

With recruiting coordinator Reggie Mitchell leading the way, Kansas already is landing faster athletes.

“In my past, some of our best recruiting classes have come out of our worst seasons,” offensive coordinator Chuck Long said. “It’s staying consistent in how you sell it. It’s the rapport you build up with that recruit. There are a lot of recruits out there who see those records and say, ‘I can help them.’ We’ve also had some not-so-good recruiting classes after a bad year.”

Not having to remember what they say to recruits is a bonus.

“If you keep sending your message and stay consistent with that, parents know,” Long said. “Anymore, parents get involved, more so than when I was a player. When I went on a recruiting trip, there were no parents there. It was just us guys.”

That explains why they were so much more fun for athletes then than now.

“Parents are smart,” Long said. “They’ve had the experiences of the ups and downs of life, so they don’t get caught up so much in the record, as opposed to, ‘Hey, I’ve had the experiences, too. Let me see what you’re all about as people.’”

At his press conferences, Gill speaks in coaching platitudes and reveals little about himself. What is he about as a person?

“He’s very patient,” Long said. “He’s not a yeller or a screamer. His mission is to build young men through the college football experience, build them to be high-character guys who will go off into the world and be good citizens.”

Defensive coordinator Carl Torbush grows passionate when talking about his boss.

“He’s a great man,” Torbush said. “But don’t ever get confused with him not being a great disciplinarian and hard on the players when they need to be worked on hard, and he’s got a bunch of coaches that do the same thing.”

Torbush enjoys telling the truth in living rooms across America.

“I don’t think there’s any question there is one thing we can always do when we go into a house recruiting or when talking to y’all or anybody else, it’s not like we’re going to say something about our football program or our head football coach that we don’t truly believe,” Torbush said. “There are some people in America who can’t do that.”

Comments

100 11 years, 2 months ago

"Moms run our lives until we're twenty-one....

& beyond."

----- Shoeless Joe Jackson

100 11 years, 2 months ago

"Tell the KU fans we're bringing the program back."

--- quote from the Cornhusker's favorite & fastest recruit they couldn't land this year, who has chosen to play for Gill in Lawrence, Kansas (the 2nd head to head recruiting battle for Gill over Nebraska in two tries).

hailtoku 11 years, 2 months ago

"I'm going to rush for 2,000 yards"

--- Quote from the national JUCO player of the year, Jacques Crawford. Crawford finished the year with 232 yards rushing.

FBS football is a little different than high school. Crawford rushed for more than 2,000 yards against 20-23 year olds in JUCO and was the national player of the year.

I wouldn't hold your breath on an 18 year old who has yet to take a snap against a Division 1 player claiming he is going to "bring the program back".

GridironHawk 11 years, 2 months ago

I don't know if I would compare Miller to Crawford. Let's let Miller define his own character (which Crawford lacked so much of) before comparing the two. Miller's quote had one major difference.... Look at the "I'm" in Crawford's quote and the "we're" in Miller's quote. That tells me all I need to know about this kid.

hailtoku 11 years, 2 months ago

Have more character and integrity than Crawford isn't something to write home about. I have no doubt that Miller isn't an outstanding individual.

I'm talking about the performance on the field. A national player of the year in JUCO went from more than 2,000 yards one year to under 300 the next.

100 11 years, 2 months ago

That's because much like this year, we had no line!

Put Crawford behind the biggest line in America & see if he picks up a few thousand more yards at KU.

The line is everything in college football.

That's why we're suddenly landing speedsters even after getting blown out.

Gill is building a foundation for the long haul at KU, something we've never really done here besides with Fielding Yost before he took off to Michigan and left our football program in the dumps.

That's when the beatings by Nebraska started.

This year, a hundred years after Fielding Yost left us to build the Michigan Wolverines, is when we finally start out-recruiting the Huskers!!!!!

David Lara 11 years, 2 months ago

hail, your linking of two separate quotes is idiotic. Regardless of the difference in playing levels between JUCO and Div. I, the quotes indicate 2 very different philosophies. Miller is talking about rebuilding a program (Not by himself, mind you, as you seemed to miss that important tid-bit: he says WE, not I. Seeing is a sense, reading is a skill), while Crawford is talking only about himself and what he's going to do as an individual. Do those look alike in any way? I'd say there's more difference between them than similarity.

And speaking of moronic quotes, I'm glad you have "no doubt that Miller isn't an outstanding individual." Guess what, I have no doubt that you are not far from mentally deficient.

hailtoku 11 years, 2 months ago

First of all, bravo on the name calling; that always showcases ones integrity and intelligence.

Again, we have two kids both making outrageous claims. 100 was psyched about a 4 star recruit saying he was going to bring the program back; and another quote had the national JUCO player of the year claim he was going to rush for 2,000 yards.

You can't put a whole lot of stock into these kids quotes. I don't think any recruit is coming in here saying, "I'm going to rush for 300 yards" or "we're going to keep the program right where its at".

I predict this kid doesn't turn our program around. That's all.

hawk316 11 years, 2 months ago

I absolutely loved this article! This is why I'm so excited about Turner Gill and this coaching staff. They celebrate integrity. They're all about caring for and developing young men, not just manufacturing football players. Most parents in America have to be impressed with their philosophy.

This article encapsulates why this staff is going to be so successful in recruiting. We are incredibly blessed to have Turner Gill as our coach in this twisted culture which emphasizes winning over the welfare and character development of players. I am so thankful that Lew hired this guy!

hawk316 11 years, 2 months ago

Did you notice that yet another person who knows Coach Gill uses the phrase "great man" (Self also used that descriptive recently, except he repeated it, as in "great, great"). You just don't hear this kind of praise that often. Amazing.

hailtoku 11 years, 2 months ago

That isn't an attitude. Everyone knows they can't put too much stock into oral comittments; not with the recent trends.

I'll be more impressed when he lands 4 and 3 star recruits and wins with them.

Right now we have 3 star recruits on our team and we're losing games by 50. What makes you think a 4 star recruit is going to change that?

GridironHawk 11 years, 2 months ago

It has nothing to do with stars. I'm interested to see what Gill can do with HIS recruits no matter what the star level.

hawk316 11 years, 2 months ago

KSA, is your real name "Debbie Downer?" Wow. Are you really feeling that pessimistic?

amatxjayhawk 11 years, 2 months ago

Keegan, In spite of the fact that I like the overall tenor of your article, the first two paragraphs demonstrate a prejudice that should not go unchallenged. It appears you feel most recruiters and salesmen are dishonest and deceitful. Certainly there are some of those out there, just as there are in journalism. But, as a long time and consistently successful salesman and sales manager I can tell you that the truth usually prevails and truthful salespeople always rise to the top. I hope that is what you were saying, the first two paragraphs notwithstanding.

It looks like Turner Gill and his staff get that and that is the good news. Thanks for recognizing these truth-tellers. They deserve time, patience and our support.

khummel60 11 years, 2 months ago

This is one of the reasons so many of us want to see Gill succeed. He is a class act. I love the quote from Torbush - "His mission is to build young men through the college football experience, build them to be high-character guys who will go off into the world and be good citizens.” Whether Gill and his staff can do this AND win games over the long-haul remains to be seen. I'm hoping he does.

hawk316 11 years, 2 months ago

K60, you're right. But we know it can be done. Coach John Wooden did it at UCLA. Here's hoping that Coach Gill and staff succeeds in this high calling. Here's also hoping that more people will catch this fantastic vision and support these guys in this grand and glorious effort instead of dumping continuous criticism on them and their efforts.

William James 11 years, 2 months ago

Look, I know your a KU fan, and you cant help it, but would you stop comparing Turner Gill, a division 1 football coach, to basketball coaches. Basketball and Division 1 football are two different beast.

hawk316 11 years, 2 months ago

Fabio, the differences between the two sports are obvious. But I was referring to coaching philosophy which is transcendent and relevant to all sports.

100 11 years, 2 months ago

Exactly Hawk316.

Besides, the game of basketball was invented by Naismith a football man who had aspirations to make it similar to football in as many aspects as necessary without the roughness. To top it off he's a KU man for more than half of his life.

Without his prized recruit (Phog), also a football/ basketball man, Memorial stadium would have never gained funding.

Why?

Because we needed a football coach in 1920 so Phog with the help of Naismith coached a typically average KU football team to an impossible 20-20 tie of the Nebraska Cornhuskers, the best team in the land back then too. Unfortunately we missed the extra point at the gun, obviously Coach Gill's fault, lol.

Anyway, with that victory (tie) Kansas supporters' money poured in to build a new stadium.

And guess who came walking into town to pour the stadium that we saw Reesing slam the Huskers 76-39 in?

John Wooden, who would later be the owner of 10 NCAA basketball titles. That man poured championships & dynasties into our stadium with his own sweat for a sport that was so much like his own, the first game in 1891 had more tackles than baskets (1) and more players than reasonable on the floor (18) that you would think you were watching indoor rugby.

Football & basketball are brothers.

And KU's Naismith, it might be added was best friends of Amos Alonzo Stagg, the father of American football coaching, who Naismith had played football with in Springfield. In fact Naismith found out about the KU job because of a Telegram from Stagg himself.

Further yet, our boy Naismith was hired first as a professor, a daily devotional speaker, a medical doctor (the only on campus) & a football coach before he ever thought of basketball at KU.

And let's not forget, he invented the football helmet, and thanks to his hybrid thinking of basketball & football, invented the forward pass.

D1 football's connection to basketball coaching, if relevant anywhere, is certainly relevant here, at the shrine of all things good & right in the world, Lawrence, Kansas.

jhox 11 years, 2 months ago

I like the part about the 3 latest recruits having speed. Boy do we ever need some of that on this team.

Rivethead 11 years, 2 months ago

There is plenty of speed on the current roster. It's just inexperienced and has not understood the new schemes as quickly as we all had hoped.

You could put Usain Bolt out there and if he doesn't understand where he's supposed to be he'd look like Keegan out there.

GridironHawk 11 years, 2 months ago

Bolt vs. Keegan? Bolt could run anywhere on the football field and would never look like Keegan... However, I understand what you are saying and completely agree (Just had to give you trouble on the comparison). Also, sprinting speed and football speed are different. Let's hope these recruits are fast football players.

jhox 11 years, 2 months ago

We have speed in a few skill positions, but not nearly the roster wide speed of most Big 12 caliber teams. Especially at linebacker, and very little speed and quickness on the lines. You obviously haven't been sitting in Memorial stadium and seeing what I'm seeing. We've simply been outclassed athletically. And how about the Baylor game? Did you happen to see that on TV? It was like watching a Division 1 team against a high school team. We spent the entire game chasing them from behind and losing ground.

ahpersecoachingexperience 11 years, 2 months ago

"speed" is how you spin undersized and not talented recruits!

KU_FanSince75 11 years, 2 months ago

Amen jhox! I hope we do get better speed in the future. As far as, getting better athletes and better recruits, I hope the experts are right. Rock Chalk!

ahpersecoachingexperience 11 years, 2 months ago

When your recruiting class is rated slightly above duke's maybe being a little dishonest here and there wouldn't hurt. I'm getting so tired of the gill recruiting articles when just like on the field he has proven nothing yet!

Brak 11 years, 2 months ago

That would be sad if it were true, what is Duke's ranking for next year? I tried to look but Rivals only lists the top 50 schools and as of today KU is #47and rated slightly above Missouri, Houston, and UCLA.

ahpersecoachingexperience 11 years, 2 months ago

Duke has been in and out of the top 50 all year. With our recent additions we knocked them out. Take that dukies!

100 11 years, 2 months ago

Well for one a player who had verbally committed to Nebraska. And for another, the fastest running back in the midwest, who had Nebraska salivating for his services.

KSseahawk 11 years, 2 months ago

Thank you...a voice of reason. Bring in whatever recruits you want, where's the proof that Gill and his happy go lucky staff can do anything with it on the field? Reality check folks, conference season scoreboard 187-40 and counting with no sign of improvement.

By the way, hope is not a strategy. And notice that no one ever calls Turner a great coach (aside from Tom Osborne, who, coincidentally, didn't hire him). The adjective, great, is most always preceeded by 'man'.

Joe Ross 11 years, 2 months ago

There are skeptics of Gill's ability to put in place a winning program at Kansas, and I must admit that I am one of them (even if reluctantly). For even if Gill gets the recruits, there is no historical evidence available which argues that he knows what to do with them. It's a bit like giving the keys to a Ferrari to a student in driver's ed. Perhaps I shouldn't be so cynical and maybe I would rightly draw criticism from those who say that there is yet time for Gill to improve. The problem is that I can't project success for the program as it is precisely because the coaching appears to be out-of-sync and in disarray. Consider Texas this year who has both the benefit of good coaching AND big time recruits. They are only .500! Even in a good recruiting year, I don't know that Gill can fill a roster on par with Texas', nor do I think his coaching will rise to Mack Brown's. (I could be wrong, but you get where I'm going with this.) I'm sure coaching is a lot more difficult than any of us not in the business--certainly including me--can imagine. The problem is that it doesn't look like Gill has that knowledge base either.

One final point, if I may. Even we Gill ___ (skeptics/doubters/cynics) would have much preferred to see Gill appear to have some strategy for success. It appears that he doesn't. One of his keys to the game against CU this week, for example, is the vague observation that "...we need to get better as a football team". WHA..??? Seriously? You don't say! Other keys to the game? Success early. Play physical. Stay healthy. Now I don't disagree with any of these, but it just appears to me that each of these observations is very thin on strategy. What does Gill offer that shows he's a thinking coach?

Brak 11 years, 2 months ago

So basically what you are saying is that Gill can't recruit or coach so that's why we suck and Mack Brown at Texas can recruit and is a good coach and that's why they suck. So using that logic even if we fire Gill and hire a big time coach and bring in big time recruits we are still gonna suck. I think thats where you were going with that anyways. Also there was no historical evidence that Mangino would be able to recruit or have any success considering he had never been a head coach. Other than that, it was a great post, I found it very informative and well thought out.

sevenyearhawk 11 years, 2 months ago

Coach Mangino developed talent ... Nick Reid and Aqib Talib are prime examples.

Turner hasn't done squat, nor do I have any confidence that he ever will.

20-30 at Buffalo, no victories against BCS conferences schools - that's all I needed to know ...

Brak 11 years, 2 months ago

I'm just saying you can't use the "historical evidence" card as Gill has 20 more D1 Head Coaching wins than Mangino coming to KU. Keep in mind also that Mangino didn't develop Reid and Talib his first year, in fact his first year at KU the only deloping he did involed his waist line.

hailtoku 11 years, 2 months ago

I'd rather have a coch on Texas' or Oklahoma's staff with a national title under his belt than a 20-30 MAC coach.

Mangino came from a winning program and brought that "no bull-#$%^ just win" attitude with him. Gill brought his, "we're a bad program but let's believe we can win" attitude with him.

mtdewjunkie 11 years, 2 months ago

so, would you have been good with us hiring gill in 1998? he got a few championship rings at nebraska. .

hailtoku 11 years, 2 months ago

Mangino was the offensive coordinator when they won a championship.

Gill was what, the running back coach?

jaymar74 11 years, 2 months ago

Mangino did not develop talent, Reid-Talib-etc, in his first year. Can Gill have a few years?

William James 11 years, 2 months ago

In 2001, hiring Turner Gill wouldnt of been a horrible hire, simply because beggars cant be choosy. KU was one of the worst head coaching jobs in the country. Piss poor football facilities, and low pay, a program completely in the dumps, with no fan support. Its not like KU could go out and hire a Tommy Tuberville or Phillip Fulmer. 8 years of work by Mangino to make the program respectable, and money thrown into facilites by Lew Perkins, changed everything. Comparing the 2001 hire of Mark Mangino, and the 2009 hire of Turner Gill, as if they are similar situations is poor form.

Dirk Medema 11 years, 2 months ago

Actually, Mangino had been a head coach (HS) and they basically ran him out of town for being the same --- that we tolerated him being here at KU.

beenahawk 11 years, 2 months ago

Gill does put on some spectacular power point presentations each week! So he does offer that. He also said he would help our kids "visualize excellence". He didn't say he'd produce it! So all in all, he's batting 1.000.

hawk316 11 years, 2 months ago

jross, I understand where you're coming from, but I would remind you and others that Gill does not stand alone. He has assembled a first class staff that has enjoyed success elsewhere. Whatever shortcomings Gill may or may not have in terms of his coaching ability, these guys will take up the perceived slack.

Moreover, regardless of any shortcomings he may have (though I'm not conceding the point), Gill is the kind of coach and person who inspires others. Players want to play for him and play hard for him; coaches want to work with him. Gill brings something far more important to the table than a knowledge of x's and o's, he creates an environment in which players want to succeed, not just for themselves or for their teammates, but for him!

Funhawk 11 years, 2 months ago

Great article for a behind-the-scenes-look at the sleezy side of college sports. If I were a high school recruit or his parent, I would sign up with these coaches. Always go to work for honest people. Otherwise, you could get screwed.

Roy Scherff 11 years, 2 months ago

As I recall when HCTG was introduced as the new coach his message was recruit, recruit, recruit, speed,speed, speed. He has not changed his message and is doing what the message says. 2012 will be a good year for KU football.

John Mueller 11 years, 2 months ago

2012 or bust!

I love it.

Look, this has been an unmitigated disaster. And, for all you glass is half full types, god bless. We are proud of your persistence.

But, some of us have seen this movie so many times......we just can't bear it anymore.

I have been a KU football fan since the early 70's, right around 6 yrs old or so.

And, I have seen / listened to some craptastic stuff. But, never anything any worse than this. My favorite is when we are absolutely sucking, and a big coaching decision looms and the camera pans to Mr. Gill and he's got absolutely nothing. Why the eff does the guy even wear headphones? He never says a thing.

I am soooooo glad I went to the Orange Bowl! What a great day, evening, early morning to be a jayhawk football fan! (never slept, breakfast with fellow jayhawks at 4 am on south beach)

Thanks Mangino. I will take a slightly overweight anger management problem any day.

Btw, anybody who thinks football coaching should be politically correct / happy talk: a. never played the game b. has never met a football coach and c. played in the band or on the field hockey team in high school and d. needs to go watch the Geico commercial with the drill sergeant (jackwagon!!!)

LAJayhawk 11 years, 2 months ago

Haha. I thought the same thing. I believe that was supposed to be written in the facetious font....

GridironHawk 11 years, 2 months ago

You do leave out some very important parts to your rant... First and foremost, Mangino couldn't even win with this group of players (and he had some really talented and successful players to go with them plus they were all HIS recruits). It seems though that you already forgot that Mangino lost his last 7 games last year (He did not win the Orange Bowl in his final year as that seems to be all people remember of Mangino). Now I'm not on here to rip Mangino or say he deserved to get fired (I loved him as a coach) but Gill had nothing to do with that. I know this looks like the same old routine (Valenstine, Allen, etc.) but Gill deserves the chance to put HIS recruits on the field and see what he can do. Not many coaches can win with other coach's recruits, no matter how talented they are.

hailtoku 11 years, 2 months ago

You seem to forget that 5-7 used to be considered a successful season. Its not acceptable anymore..... because of Mangino! He implement expectations into the program.

If Duke won the Orange Bowl in 2008 and Insight Bowl in 2009 and was fired the next season no one would be saying "Yeah but Duke did go 5-7 his last year."

No, they'd be saying, "What?! The guy that won Duke consecutive bowl games including a BCS bowl was fired?!" That is exactly what the rest of the nation is saying right now. Its the Gill fans that are blinded by this.

You want us to give Gill sometime??? Imagine if we gave Mangino some time. Do you think Gill will have us in a BCS bowl game in 4 or 5 years like Mangino did?

GridironHawk 11 years, 2 months ago

I posted this a few posts later but a 23–41 record in the Big 12 during 8 years (and 5-11 his last two) is not a success. How many more years did you want to give him? I wasn't happy with Mangion's firing but it happened. I was blinded by the Orange Bowl win as well but if you take away that ONE season, Mangino didn't do much. His Big 12 record drops to 16-40. Ouch... However, everyone seems to believe he was the greatest coach. I'm one that is hoping we can expect better than a 23-41 Big 12 record (Don't look at the overall record because Mangino came from the Snyder school that didn't schedule anyone out of conference). Gill might not be the guy but he deserves more than one year. Mangino was given 8 and had a 35% Big 12 winning percentage (31% his LAST 2 years)...

waywardJay 11 years, 2 months ago

Hail...

Mangino apologists ignore his actions on the field. Ignore his actions off the field. as Grid Iron said.

16-40 without Bill Young's Orange Bowl coached defense.

hawk316 11 years, 2 months ago

Tom, I thoroughly enjoyed this article because it so clearly displays why this coaching staff stands out from others and why it would be a huge mistake to judge their success prematurely based on a poor season.

GridironHawk 11 years, 2 months ago

mtdewjunkie knows exactly what he is talking about. Osborne hired Gill twice as an assistant coach.

GridironHawk 11 years, 2 months ago

Do you really believe having a few successful years puts us right up with Nebraska Football? Mangino would not have even been given the time of day if he applied for the NE job. Let's get realistic on the comparisons. Being rejected for the NE head coaching job has nothing to do with whether Gill can be successful at KU. Hopefully some day we can make that comparison between KU and NE football but today is not that day and I can guarantee tomorrow will not be either. It's going to take years to build KU into a powerhouse no matter who the coach is.

GridironHawk 11 years, 2 months ago

Are you serious? You are telling me Mangino would not want the NE head coaching job? I'm not ripping Mangino. I think he was very good (or his assistants were) at finding diamonds in the rough and getting a lot out of them. However, lets not forget his Big 12 conference record: 23–41 Overall 19-21 vs. North 4-20 vs. South (And 5-11 the last two years). That's in 8 years.

Does that look like a powerhouse? Maybe it was the best KU can expect but it was far from "building a powerhouse"...

Randy Bombardier 11 years, 2 months ago

Good job, Coach. You keep laying a solid foundation and there are enough of us to be your wall-builders.

LAJayhawk 11 years, 2 months ago

"Contrary to what might seem logical, losing doesn’t necessarily hurt recruiting."

While that seems to be the common understanding, the opposite always seemed logical to me. A big time recruit -- in a star driven, celebrity society -- would see a team with a lot of losses as an opportunity to play and impact right away. He could have a statistical break out immediately which could lift him above others in the long term. Of course, it is quite difficult to have this impact without talent around you, but I honestly don't think many recruits think that deeply into it. They believe they can come in and dominate regardless of what's around them... especially if they did that in high school (or junior college, as was the case with Crawford).

Obviously historical success certainly plays a large part, as that generally entails national coverage and much more exposure (much the way it is for us in basketball). So, on that end, recruiting is an uphill battle -- and always has been -- for KU football. It will take long sustained success to be able to seriously battle for Texas-sized recruits, and in order to have that long sustained success, we need to be able to pick up several of those Texas-sized recruits......

Of course, I've never recruited anyone ever. So the above opinion should be taken with the tiny weight it has.

GridironHawk 11 years, 2 months ago

Nice post. I liked the last paragraph the best as I assume most/all of us have never recruited and/or coached college football.... I do agree that most recruits look at how much early impact they can have on a team. No one wants to redshirt or sit out their first few years. These guys are stars on their HS teams and want nothing more than to stay stars.

Eric Bernauer 11 years, 2 months ago

You are talking about the same Coach Mangino that had K. Meiers, T. Reesing, and D. Briscoe and went O fer his last 7 games. You're right, he did lead KU during their best football season ever. That should be evidence that whether you regard Mangino as a good, bad, or average coach, you can't judge a coach by one season. Give Gill the same chance.

hailtoku 11 years, 2 months ago

Because we all know every college in the nation was biting at the chance to get Meier and Reesing....

Honestly, why do the people that bash Mangino always say, "Yeah but he had Reesing, Meier and Briscoe"??

Meier was a slow, lumbering quarterback turned (by Mangino) into a receiver. Reesing was a 5'9 205 pound quarterback no one wanted other than Mangino. And Briscoe wasn't turning any heads in high school either.

Let's not pretend like these guys were some magical group of athletes. Mangino made them who they were. He turned average players into great ones.

jayhawkintexas 11 years, 2 months ago

Playing time and developing character may have an effect on recruiting but I think bling plays a larger part. I can't help but think that a coach who goes into a home and shows a recruit a recent bowl ring or watch he (the coach) is wearing is head and shoulders above a coach without a ring/watch from a recent bowl game (I also remember after the national championship game how HCBS said it would be nice going into a home with something that said "national champions" on it). Kids want to know that if they sacrifice their bodies and work hard that there is going to be something special--such as a bowl ring or watch to show friends and family--in it for them. In order to go to a bowl game, you have to win. Even in the NFL, the ring is highly sought.

justanotherfan 11 years, 2 months ago

Turner Gill said he would recruit, recruit, recruit and that his priorities were speed and character.

I can't speak to the character of these recruits, because I don't know them, but I do know that every non-lineman and non-kicker he has signed is a speedster.

He has recruited six (SIX!) offensive linemen. That should create some competition along the line. He has recruited three more linebackers. That should give us depth (something we sorely lacked this season).

Let's give Gill a chance to restock the shelves, something that I am unsure whether Mangino did or not.

stuck88 11 years, 2 months ago

Does anyone else remember Gill's press conference when he was announced as the head coach for KU?

I believe he said he would recruit, beat Mizzou, recruit, go to a bowl game, recruit, win the north, recruit, then win the big XII championship. (correct me if I'm wrong)

So as far as I can tell he is doing just what he said. Give him time he will get KU turned around.

Too many people are already throwing Gill under the bus, how good did you all expect us to be when we went 5-7 last year after KU lost our 4 top players from last year?