Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Washburn coach, players laud Jayhawks

Kansas forward Mario Little pulls a rebound away from Washburn defenders Bobby Chipman (20), Nate Daniels (33) and Logan Stutz, right, in the second half of the exhibition game, Tuesday, Nov. 2, 2010 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Feature

Marcus Morris’ 28 points help KU to 92-62 exhibition win over Washburn

Marcus Morris posted 28 points and seven rebounds, leading the Kansas men's basketball team to a 92-62 victory over Washburn in its first exhibition game Tuesday night at Allen Fieldhouse.

Video Highlights KU-Washburn

Video highlights from the Jayhawks' 92-62 win over Washburn.

Washburn basketball coach Bob Chipman made sure to shake hands with Kansas University players Marcus Morris and Tyshawn Taylor before leaving the media room Tuesday night.

“You guys did great,” the Washburn coach said following KU’s 92-62 exhibition victory in Allen Fieldhouse. “Keep playing the way you’re playing.”

It wasn’t the only time Chipman complimented the Jayhawks.

Just seconds earlier, in front of reporters and TV cameras, the 32nd-year coach talked glowingly about this year’s KU squad.

“They really share the ball, and they look like they can score from every position on the floor,” Chipman said. “To me, that’s when the KU teams have been ultra-great.”

Washburn’s players also came away impressed with KU.

Senior forward Logan Stutz — who scored five points in WU’s 98-79 exhibition loss to KU on Nov. 4, 2008 — said this year’s KU team played better than the one he’d faced before.

“I think they might have had more talent a couple of years ago, but this team played harder defense,” Stutz said. “They ran their stuff, and they were a lot more disciplined. I’ll be honest with you, it surprised a lot of us, and they came out and they hit us in the mouth.”

Washburn’s biggest struggle defensively was trying to avoid fouls. KU shot 35 free throws, making 32.

“I think it might have been a record or something,” Stutz joked. “The first half they shot a lot of free throws, which was because of our lazy defense. We were just hugging on our man most of the night.”

Washburn also did little to stop KU inside.

The Jayhawks made 24 of their 41 two-pointers (59 percent) and also scored 40 points in the paint.

“We were trying,” Chipman said. “It didn’t look like it, but they are so good with what they do, it made us look like we were just standing defensively.”

Stutz also noticed KU’s physicality, saying that even getting position for a free-throw rebound was difficult.

“They played tough,” Stutz said, “and they played a lot tougher than us tonight.”

Sophomore forward Bobby Chipman — son of the coach — led Washburn in scoring with 14 points on 6-for-7 shooting.

“It wasn’t a close game, and obviously that’s not what we wanted,” Bobby Chipman said, “but it’s every Kansas kid’s dream to play at Allen Fieldhouse. That was something special, and I probably won’t ever forget it.”

Comments

Gil Ek 3 years, 5 months ago

Can a player Redshirt if he played tonight being this was an exhibition game?

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 5 months ago

Hey, I didn't know Bill Self had a little brother----LOL! All good points. Anxious to see how we do against better competition. Watching the K-State/Kansas Newman game during our timeout breaks. K-State didn't impress me much, especially being the #3 ranked team in the Land. Rock Chalk!

BillSelfsLittleBrother 3 years, 5 months ago

We just have so much potential. Im thinking we could do big things with a 3 guard 2 big lineup, considering most teams we play this year will be trying to matchup with us and not vice versa.

Morris twins looked great, Tyshawn looked good. Tyrel may have had a bad shooting night but we all know how consistent he is. Elijah looked athletic but still very raw, I expect him to make huge strides throughout the season. TomRob still looks a little lost defensively, but I also expect him to make huge strides as the season goes on as he gets more experience under his belt. Mario and Travis looked decent, just a little rusty thats all. Brady looked like he needs to be sitting right next to Jordan Jeunneman, its a shame that he got so much PT last year because I really think Travis could have done more with those minutes, plus with another season under his belt I believe that he would be a lot further along.

As far as Rio playing power forward. The reason Coach Self started him in that position is because he wants him to have some experience playing the for considering the lack of depth we have in the front court.

I really do not think our size will be a problem this year. We can always throw Withey down there if were getting beat in the post. I really think our athleticism, speed and depth in the backcourt (when Showtime gets cleared) will make up for this discrepancy.

The number one strength of this TEAM will be our versatility. Versatile is the best word to describe this team in my opinion. Not only do we have versatile players (Morris twins, Tyshawn, Rio, Selby), but our TEAM as a whole is very versatile as well. We will be able to play a lot of different styles of basketball, which will really help us in the tourny. Trust me, Withey will play a huge role for this team considering he can completely change our style of play when he is in. We can press or we can play lockdown in the half court. We can run primary and secondary breaks or we can walk it up the court and run some O. We can run the pick and roll (very very effectively) and pick and pop, or we can play inside out.

I dont believe in rebuilding years (although if this team sticks around for one more year I believe that we will be the team to beat for that season), we can be a great team this year with potential to go all the way. Key word there is "potential", it seems to me that this TEAM has never had an issue with working hard. Im excited about this season, even though we do have some holes and some issues that need to be filled. Coach Self has a tough job ahead of him but I think we all know that he is more than capable of getting the job done. All KU fans should be extremely appreciative to be able to witness great basketball year in year out(regardless of the end result), because Coach Self knows how to get his teams to play the game the way it was meant to be played. Rock Chalk Jayhawk KU

Corey Shideler 3 years, 5 months ago

Not cool OakvilleJHawk!

No you are right though it did feel good for that second. I don't know how you got me i have been trolling the internet for an hour regarding this EXACT subject.

I'm sick of waiting. I agree that this is ridiculous and they should have deadline. I live in NC and my buddy, (UNC fan) is super hyped about Harrison Barnes. He should be. Barnes is going to play in their first exhibition game. We should be talking about our first impressions of Josh Selby, not waiting to find out if he is going to play. I feel like we have been robbed of time with this kid. There is absolutely no excuse for this investigation to still be going on. John Wall had been cleared by this time last year. Make a decision.

I loved our speed last night. Nasty fast. I would like to see a guard or two score a 3 though. How about those Morris Twins though? Markieff is not going to let his brother have all of the spotlight. They continue to improve physically and are starting to really show their maturity. I look forward to reading everyone's thoughts this year. ROCK CHALK!

Ralster Jayhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

Wouldnt it be great if we picked up 6-8pts/game simply on improved FT%...

jhawkrulz 3 years, 5 months ago

32-35 from the line and Marcus was 11-11, that is the best stat of all.

honk_for_hawks 3 years, 5 months ago

hopefully this is true, but one of the women I know that went to bill self's "Ladies' Night" thing asked selby about what was going on and he said he had already been cleared and that they were just deciding what, if any, punishment he would receive.

kuhull 3 years, 5 months ago

Was in the Fieldhouse last night with my annual crew, and we walked away thinking a few early concerns. We really have issues with hitting the 3 it appears. Coach Self has spoken of this some. Reed and Selby can hit it, but no Selby and we're left with a lot of clangin the iron. We're gonna see zone all year until we prove otherwise, which will obviously affect MM a ton when he plays against some athletes. We are definately faster though. Need to guard better. So early to get too caught up. But perimeter shooting seems a real concern.

REHawk 3 years, 5 months ago

Actually, I feel more assured about the eventual outcome of the NCAA investgation and ruling than I did a week ago. Bill Self is quite obviously very frustrated that no date has been set even for an announcement. But it appears that Self seems positive that Josh will be cleared to play. And if he is eventually cleared, it would be a huge slap to the face of one of the nation's best coaches and historically great hoops programs to postpone the investigation and subsequent results much past the opening game of the regular season, Nov. 12. Is encouraging to read that, to this date, Josh has held a spot in the first team practice lineup. But dismaying to all concerned that soon he will be shuffled to second team QB in order for the coaching staff to solidify the regular season lineup. Sounds as tho Josh himself has remained fairly positive and upbeat thru all of this. Will be a huge downer for him and Coach Self if this drags on much further.

Michael Pannacciulli 3 years, 5 months ago

Its good to get out and run with some other guys again...nice little tune up for us. Would be better to see Selby out there also. He's was rightfully dressed as though he was going to a funeral...hahah...those at the ncaa office need to wake up and set real deadlines for these investigations. Students have deadlines they need to abide by for a whole host of things...makes no sense to me how they can leave this kid hanging. Amazing. I don't want to hear how they are "doing their investigation" anymore or that these things take time - all excuses for an arrogant group of inefficient fools who can't govern themselves and they are in charge of judging a kids eligibility? They should all be exposed instead of given a pass. The media should also step up more and put pressure so goes like Selby and Kanter and their schools can get on with things. I hear it in Self's comments - he's fed up - but his hands are tied.

Anyone else see the hypocrisy here?

leonard 3 years, 5 months ago

What's with the gawd damn PDF for a box score?

William Blake 3 years, 5 months ago

What a photo, Mario driving by 3 drunk drivers!

RCJH!