Kansas defeats Washburn, 92-62

• 7 p.m., Nov. 2, 2010
  • Allen Fieldhouse, Lawrence, KS

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Slash and ’burn: Marcus Morris torches ’Bods

Kansas forward Markieff Morris (21) swipes at the ball as it's pulled down by Washburn forward De'Andre Washington (2) in the first half of the exhibition game, Tuesday, Nov. 2, 2010 at Allen Fieldhouse. Also pictured are Washburn guard Nate Daniels (33) and Kansas guard Brady Morningstar (12).

Feature

Marcus Morris’ 28 points help KU to 92-62 exhibition win over Washburn

Marcus Morris posted 28 points and seven rebounds, leading the Kansas men's basketball team to a 92-62 victory over Washburn in its first exhibition game Tuesday night at Allen Fieldhouse.

Video Highlights KU-Washburn

Video highlights from the Jayhawks' 92-62 win over Washburn.

Marcus Morris didn’t approach Washburn University enforcer Virgil Philistin in a menacing way.

Instead, Morris, Kansas University’s junior forward who scored 28 points and grabbed seven rebounds in Tuesday’s 92-62 home exhibition victory over the Ichabods, matter-of-factly asked the 6-foot-3 senior what he was thinking when Philistin bear-hugged and intentionally fouled Morris on a breakaway dunk attempt late in the first half.

“I told the guy after he pulled me down, ‘You could have let me go.’ I was not upset. I was just like, ‘It’s an exhibition game. You could have let me do a little highlight,’’’ said Morris, who was backed by the Allen Fieldhouse fans who booed Philistin each time he touched the ball the rest of the game.

“He said, ‘Man, coach woulda ran us for the rest of our lives (if he let Morris slam).’ I understood because coach (Bill) Self probably would do the same thing.

“We’ve got the ‘no dunk rule’ here. We can’t let anybody dunk on us like that. They must have the no dunk rule, too.”

Because of the fact vicious dunks can change momentum in games, the Jayhawks are instructed not to allow the opposition to put down violent slams, especially on the road.

“Not to hurt anybody,” Morris said, “just to make sure they don’t dunk the ball.”

First-team preseason All-Big 12 pick Morris lived up to his hype Tuesday, hitting eight of 10 shots and 11 of 11 free throws in just 22 minutes. Had the game counted in the standings, he’d have surpassed his career high of 26 points against Lehigh in last year’s NCAA Tournament.

“I wish it was a real game so I could have had a career high,” said Morris, who credited his teammates for finding him in spots where he could score. KU had 21 assists against 12 turnovers. “My brother (Markieff, three assists, 12 points, eight rebounds) was passing it to me, Tyshawn (Taylor, three assists, 12 points), everybody.”

Morris drew praise from coach Bill Self.

“Marcus is versatile,” Self said of the 6-foot-9, 235-pounder. “He can play anywhere offensively. He’s going to get to where he can guard anybody defensively. He’s a talented kid. He has really worked hard. To me, it looks like the game is in slow-motion about as well as anybody that we’ve coached.”

Self was not as upbeat about a KU defense that allowed 23 field goals in 46 tries for 50 percent. KU hit 46.7 percent of its shots and just four of 19 threes.

“You can’t win shooting the ball like that, but looking at it from a philosophical standpoint, you can’t give up 50 percent shooting. That’s happened one time, maybe, in this building in the last three years, and our guys don’t get that yet,” Self said. “There was no pride defensively in the last 10 minutes. We’re going to get better. I thought we shared the ball. Obviously, Marcus (Morris) is talented. Getting Markieff healthy (coming off hernia surgery) and back out there is going to help us. Of course, we need Withey (Jeff, broken bone in his foot, still at least a week away) out there.

“One thing that was very, very evident to me is that Thomas (Robinson) and Mario (Little) are too little to play behind in the post. They (Bods) scored at will in the post. Either we need to get Withey out there or those guys need to defend better, or it’s going to be a hard time playing them as many minutes. Overall, we did some good things, but I wasn’t extremely happy because we didn’t guard.”

He wasn’t finished discussing the D.

“I was very disappointed in some of our defense, especially the second team when they came in late. That was poor, poor defense, and we have to get in better shape, too,” he said.

The Jayhawks did seem to make the extra pass on offense on a night 10 players scored.

“We’re pretty unselfish. We are not, yet, a good passing team. We take guys out of shots. We don’t lead guys into layups,” Self said. “Tonight, on two different plays, our point guard that was in the game gave the ball up in transition so that he could be the finisher. You can’t play that way. You can’t put the ball in Mario Little’s hand and say, ‘You go make the play.’ Those are the kinds of things that we can get better at. Right now, offensively we are not a really good passing team, but we had some great possessions. Our two best passers are obviously Markieff and Marcus. Those guys play big-to-big as well as anybody in the country probably will.”

The Jayhawks will meet Emporia State at 7 p.m. Tuesday in Allen Fieldhouse.

Comments

BAGGINZ 3 years, 5 months ago

You would think that on the KU website they would use a picture of the right twin next to their head line.

Greg Lux 3 years, 5 months ago

I believe we will be a strong pressing team by league time. Right now we are just playing to many different people at to many spots to have a consistent pressing team. When we get down to 8 or 9 rotation then I think you will see us press effectively, even full court. Great start Hawks. Fun to watch .. Disappointed with Releford and T-Rob right now but hopefully they will come around quickly... I expected a lot more movement out of Releford he just seems to be a spectator outside the 3 point line most of the night... He needs to use his speed and driving ability to open the defense like Rush did in 08.

Rock Chalk

Kye Clark 3 years, 5 months ago

speaking of quotes that baffled me, Greg Gurley saying this is Tyshawn's team...ugh. First of all, I think we saw last year when the team "belonged" to Sherron that it is not a recipe for consistent success. This needs to be everyone's team. Everyone needs to be accountable, no more of this "I'm the leader, it's my fault I didn't have the guys ready to play" nonsense we heard from Sherron a couple of times last year. And secondly, if you HAVE to have a leader, I would think and hope that it's Marcus.

hawksince51 3 years, 5 months ago

This quote baffled me:

“One thing that was very, very evident to me is that Thomas (Robinson) and Mario (Little) are too little to play behind in the post."

IMHO it is obvious that Mario is too small to play the 5 effectively. Even though he played it 2 years ago, he is undersized at the 4. I fully expected him to play the 3 this year and maybe be the starter. T-Rob is a natural, but somewhat unproven, 4 but should have enough size and athletic ability to fill in at the 5 in a pinch. Hopefully between Kief, Withey, and even Marcus, we will always have better options at the 5.

Ralster Jayhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

Maybe easy buckets by a D2 school in the first game was all that Self needed to see to get the azz-chewing juices going about defense...The prior game by the Jayhawks was the illustrious outing vs. UNI... Self & the team needed no more reminders.

100 3 years, 5 months ago

Are we Baylor or are we Kansas???? Bring back last year's pregame video & music! Everyone send a quick email to these important Kansas basketball employees, they need fan feedback to make a change:

bhinson@ku.edu">p>bhinson@ku.edu --- Barry Hinson, Director of Men's basketball operations jefferso@ku.edu">p>jefferso@ku.edu -- Jeff Forbes, video coordinator kellerk@ku.edu">p>kellerk@ku.edu --- Kyle Keller, video coordinator thoffman@ku.edu">p>thoffman@ku.edu --- Tami Hoffman, secretary in Men's basketball office

Ralster Jayhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

Clarification of "shown up": Washburn coach motivates his guys for the rest of the season saying "you just dropped 62 pts on the #7 team in the nation!". Self uses the same fact, mad as hell about our D...

Ralster Jayhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

Nice analysis by Jaybate. Little needs to be glue at the 3--period. It was ugly all the 2nd chance points and easy post buckets scored by a Div2 team vs the #7 Jayhawks...But if we have 2 real post players + Little @ the wing, he can defend, penetrate, rebound and do all the glue things that would make KU a tougher, longer team.

Releford needs to be glue at the 3 also. Anything they give us beyond 8pts/game will be gravy. But they shouldnt be 4s. That is clear now, especially since shown up by a D2 school.

Im damn impressed with Royce Woolridge already in the 2 times Ive seen him play. Lets see if he's got a 3gun? Brady worries me. Giving Brady minutes out of loyalty worries me.

REHawk 3 years, 5 months ago

Yeah, Royce displayed lotsa eary promise last night. A more extended look next Tuesday might certainly be in the works for him. I bow to GilbertAZ who declared from the getgo that Royce would prove his mettle right out of the chute. Obviously, the coaching staff will give him much closer inspection before possibly offering a red shirt. Our 3 pt. shooting was so pitiful that Royce might find an avenue for valuable minutes this season...if he can shoot as forcast. He appears to have put his brights to work prior to the Washburn game. Looked prepared and steady.

jaybate 3 years, 5 months ago

Post Script:

Self might as well get Marcus Morris a back pack big enough to fit the team into.

Marcus is about to experience the triple team.

It would be insane for any team not to double and triple Marcus effective immediately and force KU's other players to try to win a game. Presently, Kieff seems the only one capable of putting up the kind of points necessary to off-set Marcus being triple teamed.

jaybate 3 years, 5 months ago

~Tyshawn has to prove his ball handling against a good and physical defender, before I'm trusting him in that role, but he protected well. And he probably would have had a bushel of assists had the 3pt shooters been able to hit Watson Library from inside the freaking stacks.

~Mario Little is a 3 without a trifecta (unacceptable), or a 4 without the weight and height (unacceptable). Self has a problem on his hands. He's praying for Withey to come back, and let Little be situational substitute at the 3 for defense (10 mpg) and at the 4 to play 3-4/4-3 switch with Marcus (10mpg), or for Little to grow a trey and play 30mpg. It looks like Self doubts the trey. Which'll it be, Mario? Its up to you...and Withey.

~The Prophet probably played better in last season's exhibition games than against Washburn this season. I had hopes for a break out by the Prophet. Not. But I still like his new size with the ball.

~Though Brady played "okay", he was tepid for a senior corner stone. Three TOs and uninspired offense and defense. If he keeps this up, we're hurtin' for certain. Though most don't think so, we need him to have a great senior year. With Marcus as the single impact player, the rest of the team has to take glue to the next level, and Brady ought to be the one leading them, not playing tepidly.

~Tyrel did not show the next step up. He's going to have to do so, or remain a sub, even without Selby. It is not easy, when Self is asking only for glue and treys, but he has to make more impact, when he can't pot the triceratop.

~Travis definitely did not show the next step up. I had hopes for a break out by Travis, too. But instead of a Cistine Chapel ceiling, he shows a Frank Lloyd Wright ceiling. If Travis hasn't matured and developed, after a red shirt season playing against the likes of X, Little and Brady, this may be a cortical constraint.

~Though muscle bound, Thomas Robinson still seems on track to become effective 15 minute sub in late January, or early February; not a starter, but effective, even though his post D remains suspect.

~Withey has to return and play 15 mpg for this team to be able to handle good teams. And he's going to be needed not just to guard, but to take the dish from the double teamed Marcus and finish with it.

~Royce gets a longer look next game. Guys who can do it are not yet in sufficient supply to red shirt him. Royce scores. Judging from Travis, EJ, Tyrel and Brady, perimeter scoring is in short supply.

~For this team to get 27 wins, Marcus probably has to have several 30 point games. If board rats thought Self played through Sherron too much, they ain't seen nuttin' yet.

jaybate 3 years, 5 months ago

"Thoughts After the Kind of Exhibition Game that Makes Me Want Hair of the Dog for Breakfast"

(Author's note: This was only a first exhibition game, so it sets nothing in stone and obviously the team will get much, much better. This looked like a team learning a new scheme and trying to do exactly the things that have been emphasized in practice so far, and not really doing the other things they ought to be pretty good at (like defense) well at all. The emphasis has apparently been on how to get Marcus the ball in scoring position. They did that well. They passed quickly and crisply to him. The rest of the offensive game was pretty so-so, but shooting 21% from trey makes any offense look so-so...just ask last year's team after shooting nearly that vs. UNI. Defensive focus apparently comes this week in practice. The above being said, here follows some grousing with the gloves off.)

~Marcus played efficiently and that is crucial to sustain, if Self is going to play through him this much for very long. Marcus may be the first Jayhawk in a long, long time to average 25 points a game, unless Selby, or Withey become offensive weapons.

~Self's comments about Selby starting to get fewer first team reps in practice makes me wonder if Self has decided Selby may either not play till second semester, or not this entire season. Since Selby is academically eligible, it means the investigation into his amateur status must be complicated in deed.

~Tyshawn, Marcus and Kieff are the only three that fulfilled their roles.

~Playing Kieff so many minutes is great if he's healed. But his foot/leg problem betrays he may not be. I'm not worried about him re-injuring the hernia problem nearly as much as him developing a different injury through compensatiing for the hernia injury and operation. Players compensating for one injury often wind up with another injury elsewhere.

REHawk 3 years, 5 months ago

Jayhawk D, you had best pray that yer coach does not read these posts. Otherwise, halfway into this afternoon's two hour practice, you might learn the pom-pom girls' shuffle, standing waistdeep in the foetid waters of Potter's Lake!

PickleFuzz 3 years, 5 months ago

I have Dish Network, turned it on @7 and got nova then frontline on 62! Did anyone else have that problem?

Randy Maxwell 3 years, 5 months ago

Poor outside shooting from this team, wonder where we've heare that one before?

Brian Powell 3 years, 5 months ago

EJ was one player I wish I saw more of last year... but judging from the box score, he didn't have a good game :( Hopefully he still gets minutes and can get into a flow;

Our 3pt against Wasburn should've been a lot better than 4-19 or whatever it was. I know we're better than that!

FT% was great though :) Suck it, Memphis.

Not as worried about the post. Hope TRob can keep the fouls under control and if we get Withey added, we should be OK. Whatever we give up down there we can more than make up with guard D and just plain outrunning/outscoring them.

Can't wait to see some games over here in Indiana! :)

AlwaysAFan 3 years, 5 months ago

Any thoughts on the video introduction? I thought is was a joke.

hawksfan08 3 years, 5 months ago

Self's comment on Little not being able to guard the 4 irked me. That's because Little isn't a 4! In the first half, with the morris' out there, little at the 3 with reed and tyshawn we went on something like a 10-0 run which included a great oop from little to markieff. Little at the 4 can only work when marcus plays the three. The defense will matchup with their 4 on marcus playing the 3 and their 3 on Little at the 4 which lets marcus use his matchup advantage outside and little use his matchup advantage inside. But to say Little is a true 4 who can guard 6-8/9 people in the post is insane.

kesmithstl1 3 years, 5 months ago

I have to admit, I was flipping back and forth the second half between the K-State/Newman game and KU/Washburn. I have to say, while K-State looked ok (free throw shooting aside) the only thing they may be better than us at is rebounding. They are longer than us, but we are by far faster!!! Rock Chalk!!

Ron Franklin 3 years, 5 months ago

I love this season!! We've waited a long 7 months to get back here!

My thoughts: Marcus is a beast...as expected. I'm confident Kief made the strides that Marcus did over last off season. He will be as good, if not better, than Marcus was this time last year. Hopefully both of them can hit around 36-38% from behind the arc....that is a matchup nightmare.

I was most impresed with TRob. It looks like his footwork has gotten a lot better.
Least impressed with EJ. But as Theutus points out...he did look jittery. His shot does not look smooth at all. He is quick and can jump. But he really is going to have to work on his handles and passing if he wants to see many minutes. I think Selby, Taylor, Reed, Morningstar & Royce should see the court before EJ does......solely based on last night...Of course some players get better over the year. EJ does deserve this time though in these first few games to get comfortable with the pace of the game.....it still looks like he's in fast-forward mode.

I think EJ should red shirt over Royce. Royce has a sweeter stroke and seems to be more comfortable playing at D1 pace than EJ does.

I think there are some serious problems without a true big. Hopefully Withey will come through, but we cannot count on that. Right now our best 5's are Kief and Cus. And they are too small to play against real big....though their quickness may offset this. In a close game though, when shots are not falling, I don't think we have what it takes to work the high/low quite yet.

Here's how I'd like to see it moving forward until Selby is eligible and proves himself.

Tyshawn, Reed, Brady, Royce, EJ handle the 1-2 interchangeably.

Little/Releford/Brady (again) will share duty at the 3. I was impressed with TRel's d last night, and his slashing....but I think we may need Mario's offensive prowness and rebounding a little more as a starter.

Marcus/TRob at the 4. I think were all gonna be huge TRob fans by the end of his time here.

Kief/Withey at the 5. Defensively, I think this will be the weakest spot on the court for the hawks.

I loved seeing the above-the-rim-ally-oop-style, runnin-and-gunnin that we saw last night. That oop to Marcus early in the first half reminded me of Chalmers to Arther, etc from 2008.

Rock Chalk.

PS-after watching both KSU and KU last nght....I think KU is the better team...at least at this point.

kushaw 3 years, 5 months ago

Releford-Kind of the same syndrome as Little. Rusty, not in game shape (Understandably so) and didn't look completely comfortable out there. I know he's really concentrating on the offense and getting everybody else involved, but hopefully his instincts take over and we'll see him slashing and slicing to the rack and hitting pull up 15 to 16 footers. Took that one 3 pointer after 1 pass and I'm sure that's not what Self wanted.

T-Rob-He's a beast and defensively he's going to get his rebound. I loved the pick and roll dunk with EJ. T-Rob did a great job passing out of the double teams so that was very encouraging. He needs Marcus to show him the turn and face game on the half block and block. T-Rob rushes his post moves but he'll be fine.

Rolls Royce-You know, for only 7 minutes of action Royce looked very good out there. He had that nice little lefty floater. He could teach Taylor how to do that. He looked good on defense and he got to the rack. I guess the only question mark is whether or not he can shoot, but the brief moments I saw he looked explosive and is able to do some things that Reed and Morningstar struggle with.

kushaw 3 years, 5 months ago

Post Game Analysis and Notes:

-Even though it was brief I loved the EJ, Morningstar, Marcus, T-Rob, and Kieff lineup. Looked Fluid, smooth and downright nasty. I believe they scored on both possessions that lineup was in there. Only problem is that lineup could get our big's into foul trouble. Need Withey to get healthy.

-The ball handling looked a little shaky when Wasburn put on that Token full court press every now and then. I'm sure that will get corrected, but there was definitely some tentativeness there especially with EJ.

Marcus-Player of the Game-Looked like an All-American, Played like an All-American, and let the game come to him. He didn't have to force anything. What a pleasure it was to watch him last night.

Kieff-I'm glad that was only a cramp last night because I got very nervous for a second. Glad they were pushing his foot up to get rid of the cramp. Shot the ball great. KU is going to have to have some post play and my only fear is that he'll drift out to the perimeter. Other than that, Kieff played great. He'll get in better shape.

Reed-Loved the hustle! Didn't shoot great, but he'll be fine. Got beat by that Veasley (SP?) guy a couple times. Gotta work on that lateral movement.

Morningstar-I was impressed with his ball handling last night. Looked confident out there. He made a couple of bone head passes which was uncharecteristic but it is an exhibition after all.

Taylor-I was most impressed with Tyshawn Taylor last night. He didn't have many highlights, but he let the game come to him and he allowed others to find their groove and rhythm over the course of the game. He loves going right, everybody knows that, so I hope he works on going to his left a little more. No antics, no complaining, just playin ball out there. Love it!

EJ-I think EJ's biggest problem is confidence. I think he's got so much going on in his head that he's not playing ball. He just needs to have fun and quit worrying about how much he changed his shot over the summer. His handles looked a little shaky in the first half, but he came around and looked a little more comfortable in the second half.

Oh, the one thing I did think EJ did really well last night was coming off screens and planting 1....2.. for the jumpers. Even though they didn't go in it looked very smooth out there.

Little-I hate the fact he's playing out of position. He just doesn't look comfortable at the 4 spot. Not sure what to do with Little. I just hate to see guys playing out of position. It's awkward and just doesn't look good out there. Sombody from the opposition I think will exploit this.

4jhawks4ku 3 years, 5 months ago

As usual on the first game jitters set in and they were moving way too fast. Looked like mop up time starting at the tip off, everyone trying to make their impression and get their chance(exception Morris twins and Taylor). Wooldridge looked really,really good and cant wait for Selby. This team is super fast. We will need Withey in there this year for shot blocking and rebounds. Washburn actually played a good zone defense doubling down and were quick to cover. It was hard to find the open man.

4jhawks4ku 3 years, 5 months ago

Adam Bengtson 3 years, 5 months ago

Self was not lying about team speed.

jebloom22 3 years, 5 months ago

I wish I could have watched this game. So relieved and excited to have the whole 2010-11 season ahead. This should be an exciting and entertaining year for KU basketball. ROCK CHALK!

Does anyone plan to stream the JayhawkTV and other Full-Court games this season?

coolsportsdad 3 years, 5 months ago

Looked like a pretty typical first game for a team replacing 3 starters. No worries. Thought EJ showed moments that make fans wonder why he doesn't play more - and then would make one that made you say "oh, That's why he doesn't. " Hopefully just getting more experience.

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 5 months ago

Great that basketball is back at KU! I know HCBS said they were not a good passing team yet, but I thought the ball movement was very good and being unselfish was a big thing in the game. The defense definitely needs to improve but it will, especially when we get Withey back in the rotation.

REHawk 3 years, 5 months ago

p.s. And the twins: WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

REHawk 3 years, 5 months ago

My impressions: Terrific freethrow shooting. Miserable 3 pt. shooting. Scary post defense. Startling 50% field goal avearage allowed by Washburn. Fast, active Jayhawk effort; fewer turnovers than I had predicted. Very obvious sharing of the ball. Utilization of the entire roster.

Seems obvious that this team might need Withey in the lineup for at least 15-20 minutes. The sooner we see Josh, the better.

Ashwin Rao 3 years, 5 months ago

I liked what I saw with speed... I was very impressed. I am not a coach, but I thought that our first team defended well against them... (not that they were as good as our future opponents). What I believe we need to improve on: 1) 3 point shooting 2) finishing (as coach pointed out, players seemed to be more interested in passing than scoring, especially during layups!) 3) controlling underneath the basket (Apart from Morris brothers) 4) point guard position... None of the folks who showed at that position up wowed me.

Marcus was obviously the best! I was not very impressed with Little & Morningstar (I thought they were better before yesterday). Robinson was good in spurts..

But I AM EXCITED!

soobawls 3 years, 5 months ago

We have a point guard? Well that is awesome, I watched the whole game but I must have drifted off when he was in the game. Unless Selby has some handles it looks like we are going to be a poor ball handling team again this year. The one bright spot were the free throws, good thing to because without them we win by 2 points. In any event they better get a whole lot better at moving their feet and helping on defense or this is going to be a long season. Given our apparent lack of outside scoring this team is going to have no choice but to depend on great defense to get them easy shots and that had damn well better include mastering a good full court press to take advantage of our depth or its going to be another early out come tournament time.

Michael Luby 3 years, 5 months ago

Yah, Im so glad the season is finally here. I recorded the game, i'll watch it again b4 the next one. RCJH!!

William Blake 3 years, 5 months ago

Fun game to watch. This team is fasttttt!

I'm sure we'll see much improvement soon, and they will be even more entertaining to watch (when they take all that speed and athleticism to lock down on D).

I'll leave it to the posters after me to rate players.

KU basketball is back in action! Finally!

RCJH!