Originally published November 2, 2010 at 02:00p.m., updated November 2, 2010 at 05:52p.m.

How Keegan voted: Sports editor explains AP All-American selections

The following is Journal-World sports editor Tom Keegan's preseason Associated Press ballot for men's college basketball All-Americans.

• Kyrie Irving, Duke
  • Jacob Pullen, Kansas State
  • Marcus Morris, Kansas
  • Kyle Singler, Duke
  • JaJuan Johnson, Purdue

Keegan's take:

The instruction given to Associated Press All-American voters: “The only qualification is that each must be a team that can take the floor.”

In other words, don’t stock the team with all perimeter or all post players.

Purdue’s JaJuan Johnson was the first name I chose because he’s the best pure post player in the country. Next, I wrote down Kansas State’s Jacob Pullen, the first guard who popped into my head. Then I picked the forwards, Duke’s Kyle Singler and KU’s Marcus Morris, a pair of players who sting from inside and out. Morris has big junior year written all over him. He’s developed into a very hard worker. He’s gained more valuable national experience over the summer and he has such a versatile game.

The toughest call came as to which guard to put next to Pullen: BYU’s Jimmer Fredette or Duke’s Kyrie Irving. A preseason All-American team is a guess and to leave off freshmen automatically is to deny the age we live in. I gave the nod to Irving, a true point guard surrounded by so much talent he has a great chance to play at his best in a hurry.

For me, the only surprise on the first team was North Carolina forward Harrison Barnes. Those who have seen a lot of both Barnes and Irving don’t express the same wow-factor when speaking about Barnes. Plus, with the ball in his hands far more often, it will be easier for Irving to stand out. I never considered voting for Barnes.

Comments

Kye Clark 3 years, 5 months ago

To Jaybate's point, I wonder how many of the people who voted for Harrison Barnes are desperate for access to Coach Roy. That, or Dickie V used the "vote early, vote often" strategy

jaybate 3 years, 5 months ago

"Equal Signs: The Keegsian Picks:"

Kyrie Irving, Duke = Desperate for access to Coach Consonants.

Jacob Pullen, Kansas State = Desperate for access to Coach Martin

Marcus Morris, Kansas = Desperate for access to Coach Self

Kyle Singler, Duke = Doubly desperate for access to Coach Consonants. Maybe has a line on a job at the Durham, or Raleigh papers.

JaJuan Johnson, Purdue = Maybe has a line on a job at the Lafayette IN newspaper.

(Note: All fiction. No malice.)

Chris Bruning 3 years, 5 months ago

waywardjay......um no pullen was not ABSOLUTELY the best player on kstate. clemente was up and down but not as bad as pullen. i would have taken clemente over pullen srictly for the speed. pullen was an inconsistent shooter, i was at the kstate game and was suprised at how often he missed for as hyped as he was supposed to be. wally judge is the best player on the wildcat roster this year. mark my word.

lee3022 3 years, 5 months ago

I think Sherron and Cole showed how fickle the pollsters can be in this voting. Pre-season simply does not mean much. I like that Pullen is being touted so widely and K-State is being elevated as the conference favorite. I might be wrong but I only remember KU being touted as the conference pre-season favorite a couple of years over the past six. When the dust settles we will see who prevails. In the meantime the pressure is on them and not us.

Marcus may be deserving of a birth. Should KU win the Big-XII again and gain a high seed in the tournament he might even be a post-season award winner. It is easy for me to say but I would gladly trade all the All-American selections KU has ever had for one more championship. Just saying.

waywardJay 3 years, 5 months ago

I take issue with having two dukies on this list. Especially one who hasn't earned anything yet.

There is a hush hush player out there, who wears green and yellow who deserves that slot alot more than Kyrie does, Controversy aside. but Pre-season doesn't mean anything.

100 3 years, 5 months ago

Seems like reasonable list.

For those above talking about Pullen, on the list it's hard to not put him there.

But many of us know he was there last year primarily because of Clemente.

Clemente freed him up every play, which doesn't always show in the stat book, nor do his 40 foot jumpers, which, good for him they tended to go in last year.

We'll see how he shoots from 40 feet without Clemente pulling his defender away in a double team pass off.

Ron Franklin 3 years, 5 months ago

There are too many homers out there.

Give KSU their credit.

They made it further in the Tourney that we all care about more than anything else in College Basketball.

I'm proud to be an alumn of both schools, and I'm not a Farmer either.

When you generalize, and stereotype an entire community of students by calling them Farmers your assumption is as inaccurate as Irving and Pullen being labeled all-americans.

Don't get your panties in a bunch because the media sees things one way, and you always see it the way it best fits 'your team.'

Dickless Head 3 years, 5 months ago

I don't get Pullen on this list. He wasn't even the best player on the KSU team last year, let alone the conference, let alone top 5 in the nation. One year doesn't make that much difference.

I think this epitomizes KSU's upcoming basketball season. One pretty good year (no final no conference title, no conference tournament title, lost to KU 3 out of 3 times) and everyone has them ranked top 3 nationally. I wouldn't even agree with that prediction of Clemente was back. They weren't that good last year.

I plan to sit back and enjoy the supreme letdown they will experience starting in December and intensifying in January. Should be a blast.:)

phi4life940 3 years, 5 months ago

Preseason is preseason....

The world will witness KU greatness.

KuKain 3 years, 5 months ago

Glad to see you weren't one of the voters who voted Barnes in.