Originally published November 1, 2010 at 04:09p.m., updated November 2, 2010 at 12:00a.m.

KU’s Woolridge, Teahan could red-shirt

Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self says it’s possible freshman Royce Woolridge and/or senior Conner Teahan could red-shirt — that is, practice but not play in games — this season.

As a freshman, Woolridge is allowed (by the NCAA) to play in KU’s two exhibition games and still be red-shirted. If Teahan plays in tonight’s KU-Washburn game or the Emporia State game a week from Tuesday, he cannot be red-shirted.

“I have not talked to Royce about it. I’m not saying I want to. I’m not saying I don’t. We’re going to use these exhibition games to get a better feel for him,” Self said of the combo guard from Phoenix.

“He is going to be a guy who really helps our program over time. I don’t know if he can really have a huge impact right now. A lot probably depends on Josh’s situation,” he added of freshman guard Josh Selby, who is awaiting word from the NCAA on his amateur status.

Self said he has chatted with Teahan about the possibility of red-shirting. Depending on what players leave the program for the NBA, to go with graduating perimeter players Little, Tyrel Reed and Brady Morningstar, KU might be in need of guards next season.

“If we don’t play him tomorrow, it doesn't mean he is red-shirting. It just means that opportunity is still there,” Self said of the senior from KC’s Rockhurst High. “If we do play him tomorrow, it means the red-shirt year is done unless he were to get an injury, of course — a medical red-shirt.”

Self said Selby would not play tonight, nor would Jeff Withey (foot injury), who is a week or two from being full strength. Self said barring any setbacks, Markieff Morris (hernia) would play.

Of 7-footer Withey, Self said: “We thought he’d be 100 percent healthy, full speed by today. This was six weeks ago (following surgery). He’s still a week away, maybe two weeks from where we want him to be. It’s not from lack of trying. He’s just sore. He needs reps as much as anybody. Missing practice this time of year is like missing two-a-days in football. Missing the last three weeks is like missing the next five weeks because you get so many things in.”

Self on KU’s progress: “I like our team. I don’t like how we played the last few days. We have to pick some things up from a leadership standpoint and intangibles standpoint.”

Self on team’s style of play: “I don’t know if two weeks in you’ll see a true indication of how fast we can play because right now I’m not going to reward them by playing fast if we don’t take better care of the ball. This team is noticeably more athletic than last year’s team.”

Recruiting: Ben McLemore, a 6-foot-5 guard from Oak Hill Academy in Mouth of Wilson, Va., completed his recruiting trip to Missouri on Monday.

“I’m going to wait a few days and then call my mom. I’m going to let her know where I want to go to college,” McLemore told Rivals.com. He’ll sign with KU or MU in the Nov. 10-17 signing period.

Tidbits: NCAA Div. II Washburn will be without junior guard WIll McNeill, who broke a bone in his foot in practice. ... KU is 5-0 against Washburn in exhibition play and 30-3 in the regular season. Washburn is coached by Bob Chipman (678-278 in 32 years). ... KU has won 35 straight exhibition games and is 21-0 under Self. ... Washburn returns 83 percent of its scoring off a 16-14 team that is picked to finish in a tie for fourth in the MIAA.

Comments

gchawk 11 years, 3 months ago

What happens to Teahan's scholarship if he redshirts?

gchawk 11 years, 3 months ago

Or am I mistaken about Conner receiving a scholarship?

Paul Brozik 11 years, 3 months ago

He still receives his scholarship. I don't know if he would receive a scholarship next year. It probably depends on how many players they sign next year. If they need it to sign a recruit I'm sure they would ask him to give it up. I think that would be a good problem to have:)

Gary Bedore 11 years, 3 months ago

Exactly, there's a scholarship available this year so Conner was put on scholarship. If the 13 scholarship slots were filled by recruits next year, he assuredly wouldn't get one. We didn't talk to Self about that today since they are just discussing red-shirt possibilities, but Conner assuredly would have to pay his own way next year if all schollies were filled. That's the deal this year. He only got one because the staff didn't fill all the available scholarship slots. He's a walk-on who got the scholarship because there was one available.

Peaceout257 11 years, 3 months ago

I really dont know about his sochalship but if he does red shirt it will be good for the team next year

Matt Bowers 11 years, 3 months ago

Makes sense. If what HCBS is planning for comes true, then that would leave EJ and Travis Releford as the only returning players at the guard position. That means Markieff, TRob, and Jeffery will be our returning bigs. If we have a couple of good recruits and a big red shirt season by Royce, we'll be a top 25. Thank you for always thinking ahead HCBS.

Rock Chalk

Dean Huggins 11 years, 3 months ago

I believe you're thinking of Zach Peters who is class of 2012, but a beast nonetheless

Lonnie Ross Dillon 11 years, 3 months ago

I'm pretty sure that CT is a preferred walk-on meaning he was invited to join the team (no tryout) but no scholarship. On occasion, the coach has awarded a scolly as one becomes available but on a semester-by-semester basis.

That said, a player has 5 years to use up 4 years of eligibility regardless of scholarship status (waivers granted on case-by-case basis); since he has played continuously since he first stepped on the court, he has the option of sitting out one year. If he were on scholarship, it's not affected by the year off.

Eric Dawson 11 years, 3 months ago

CT is a preferred walk-on who has a scholly this year because HCBS did not use all 13 for 2010-2011.

100 11 years, 3 months ago

We need a 6'5" QB....

Unfortunately we need a 6'5" line worse.

sdoyel 11 years, 3 months ago

You redshirt Woolridge. No brainer here. Connor will not contribute anyway.

rges 11 years, 3 months ago

I am not sure... Coach Self did not sound very sure when talking about Selby. When he says, "A lot depends on Josh's eligibility." That doesnt sound very promising to me? Maybe i am just being a negative nancy but this is taking a awfully long time to figure out for the NCAA (THANKS JOHN WALL AND COACH CAL!) I think Woolridge will be needed if there is no Selby.

sdoyel 11 years, 3 months ago

You redshirt Woolridge. No brainer here. Connor will not contribute anyway.

REHawk 11 years, 3 months ago

Royce Supporters, don't get bent out of shape by Self's comments. Obviously, the lad is looked upon as an essential ingredient to the future of the Jayhawk program. Is great that all of us will get a look at his current skills in the exhibition games. Bill Self appears to be the absolute antithesis of John Calipari. He likes to invest in recruits who will be with him for the long run. No secret, his snatching up 6' point guard Naadir Tharpe, a player who just might spend 3 or 4 years in the program. Is a joy to return to the excitement of Jayhawk Hoops every November, awaiting the development of familiar names and talents in the lineup. Congratulations, Conner! Give that offer some serious consideration.

Mark Lindrud 11 years, 3 months ago

I expected Royce to get redshirted this year. It is not an indictment of his skills but the depth we have this year. Brady, Tyrel and Mario graduate this year so he has a chance to get some quality pt next year.

Let Connor play because he doesn't do anything anyway on the court. Not to be mean,but he plays scrub minutes anyway so let's get opening for new guys next year. I doubt TT is going pro unless he can shoot lights out because he has yet to show he has an outside shot. We have depth and we are in good shape.

Clydecito 11 years, 3 months ago

Conner was awarded a scholly earlier this season by HCBS. I see nothing wrong with him red shirting another year and experiencing college and KU hoops. Playing is just a bonus. Beats working for a living.

ahpersecoachingexperience 11 years, 3 months ago

Anyone else love this red shirt system that hcbs seems to be installing. It's like the major college football programs. Bring in some top talent, let them improve their game, and get hudyized then unleash the furry!

Sam Constance 11 years, 3 months ago

"unleash the furry!"

Well, I suppose it is No-Shave November.

Not to mention other, less User Agreement-appropriate variations...

lincase 11 years, 3 months ago

I assume you mean "fury" unless they have an unusually high amount of body hair.

ahpersecoachingexperience 11 years, 3 months ago

Although with the beards in the "who's funniest" video furry could also work

Michael Pannacciulli 11 years, 3 months ago

this selby nonsense is killing me...i can't imagine how frustrating this is for HCBS and Selby himself.

i'd really like to see us snag McLemore also on a side note...it's about time we make a huge splash again. Selby was a last second snag, i get it. I'd really like to get Chol too...that size, those hands...would be nice considering bigs are hard to come by. I'd like to see us get some real atheletes, some sprinters...watch the guys that Mike Anderson is going after, and just steal those guys! :)

rges 11 years, 3 months ago

Why would we want to steal the guys Anderson is going after? We play a totally different style of basketball than Anderson and Mizzou. Let him keep getting scrubs and KU will get the first class athletes with an actual basketball IQ not just good speed from baseline to baseline!

Benjamin Piehler 11 years, 3 months ago

"Which team is the preseason favorite to win the Big 12?"

good news, and a good stat to throw towards the kittens. I fear without selby we wouldnt do as well in that poll though...

chriz 11 years, 3 months ago

Even the guys down in Texas know better than to crown anyone other than KU. As far as the losers in Missouri...that's another story.

gchawk 11 years, 3 months ago

Interesting poll. Appreciate the web site.

Jared Grillot 11 years, 3 months ago

That's just super funny. So tired of hearing "Did you see that poll?" out here. Nice sign to the purple kittens that the coaches may think well of them, but no one else in the country does. And the people in Missouri are still crazy. Loyal, but crazy.

Rob Keeney 11 years, 2 months ago

41% - 38% in favor of MU over KU, so even some reality is shining through the meth induced loyalty.

newyorkjayhawk 11 years, 3 months ago

there's a bunch of people commenting that teahan doesn't contribute a great deal on the court... i personally think that's balogna. he adds maturity, he's not a terrible shooter, and he plays hard on both ends. he's not as athletic and he's not as talented, but given the chance to bestow wisdom and experience in practice and times of chaos in the games, it would mean the world to a jayhawk team incurring loads of turnover after this past offseason and next for conner to stick around one more season.

honk_for_hawks 11 years, 3 months ago

he won't do anything. juenemann basically got onto the team because lets just say his family is a big supporter of KU athletics. i've played against him as well as played with him in pick up games, and I'll just say he isn't even the best player at the KU Rec

REHawk 11 years, 3 months ago

Bill Self ALWAYS seems to have a future eye on plug and fill situations. Brady, Tyrel and Mario will be gone next season. Perhaps Marcus and others. That leaves a bit of a gap in returning seasoned leadership. Connor is a quality athlete and individual who can help fill that gap. Considering the bench strength of this season's roster, he might not see many minutes of playing time. Depending on the number of players departing after this season, there might be an opportunity for him to contribute more next year. At the very least, he could be a solid leader on the practice court, a competitor who might regain his 3 pt. shooting magic from Year One. He exemplifies what is best in the way of Jayhawk walkons.

KU_FAN 11 years, 3 months ago

Sort of unrelated to the subject, but I don't see Marcus going pro next year. I think he will will come back for his senior year to graduate with his brother. Anybody else think this?

Michael Luby 11 years, 3 months ago

I dont think Marcus will leave without Keiff. They both will stay until senior year.

Brak 11 years, 3 months ago

I think it all depends on what kind of year Kieff has. If he has a great year and works himself up in the draft to a high first round pick I could see both of them going after this year. Then again I know their mother really wanted them to graduate so that might be enought to keep them for one more. On a side note, what if there is a lockout in the NBA next year and Selby stays and we pick up McLemore, talk about a scary amount of talent on one team.

honk_for_hawks 11 years, 3 months ago

obviously you can't really trust any sources nowadays, but i know one of the women that went to that Bill Self ladies' night thing who talked to selby during it. according to her, he said that the ncaa has cleared him but is trying to decide on his punishment (if any) right now and that is why we still haven't heard anything.

Michael Luby 11 years, 3 months ago

Honk, I hope youre right man, I hope youre right.

Joe Baker 11 years, 3 months ago

Mc will be naaaasty if he comes back with his brother. It will be a hard decision when the NBA green starts calling. I think it will depend entirely upon what kind of year he has this year. If it's NBA-esque, I'm afraid he may be gone.

I personally hope he stays and the man dominates the B12. I know many opposing B12 coaches hope he goes pro! ha ha Many idiots are calling him overrated or subpar. I can't wait!.

Tony Bandle 11 years, 3 months ago

I have no source but my gut feeling following the NCAA for the last 45 years so I've posted this before and my apologies for the repetition but look to Nov. 27, 2010 Kansas vs Arizona on ESPN2 from Las Vegas.

1] Five game suspension prior to this game appears to be a significant statement. 2] Kansas should win those five games without Josh, so no "unfair' punishment. 3] The #1 overall 2010 recruit makes his debut on KU's first game on the ESPN Network. 4] NCAA obtains face time for due diligence.

It's like a train coming down the track!!

{Then again...I could be wrong!! :) ]

honk_for_hawks 11 years, 3 months ago

I hope not. Wall's relationship with agents was much shadier than anything I've heard about selby and he only got the one game. Obviously we don't know all the details, but as long as he didn't accept massive amounts of money i.e. renardo sidney, it shouldn't be longer than the 5 games MAX. hopefully we just get the one game suspension that wall got. i think we can get by longwood without him...

Mkultra 11 years, 3 months ago

And what was the last exhibition loss for the University of Kansas errrr "Kansas University" ?

Michael Bratisax 11 years, 3 months ago

Don't understand why Conner would redshirt. He will only be getting limited playing in either case unless HCBS is so concerned with next years limited recruiting class that Conner will be a needed body coming off the bench. Not that there is anything wrong with staying 5 years at KU (I did it and loved every bit of it) but if Conner is ready to graduate then he should and move on w/life. I'm not even sure if it would be in Royce Woolridge's or KU's advantage for him to redshirt. Depending on who leaves next year, having a guard with some experience underneath his belt might be to our best advantage. But I've learned that HCBS usually makes the right decision for the team but not sure if it's always the best decision for the players. Anyways, I'm just a fan giving my opinion.