Thursday, May 6, 2010

Recruit saga turns ugly

Spurned fans lash out at Portland prep

Kansas recruit Terrence Jones waits to check into the game during the first half of the Jordan Brand Classic, Saturday, April 17, 2010 at Madison Square Garden.

Terrence Jones as of 9:45 p.m. Wednesday had 3,807 followers on Twitter.

Though many of the followers are friends, some became instant enemies of the McDonald’s basketball All-American late Friday afternoon.

That’s when the 6-foot-8 senior forward from Portland (Ore.) Jefferson High orally committed to the University of Washington. He chose the Huskies over Kentucky, Kansas, Oregon, Oklahoma and UCLA.

Oregonian newspaper columnist John Canzano reports that the instant Jones put on a Washington hat at his news conference, “his family began to receive harassing telephone calls from fans of the programs he didn’t pick. Jones’ cellular telephone blew up with angry activity, too.

“Fans at Kentucky, Kansas, UCLA, Oregon and Oklahoma, miffed that Jones didn’t choose their programs, blasted Jones’ social networking sites with insults and slurs that were so offensive his sister instructed him not to read them and went in herself and deleted it all.”

Jones told Canzano: “I saw some of it ... really hurtful stuff.”

Jones — he still has not signed a letter-of-intent, though he remains orally committed to the Huskies, with Kentucky still a possible destination — didn’t single out fans of any particular school for especially boorish behavior.

It seems even some well-meaning posts in days leading up to the Friday news conference rankled the Jones family.

Canzano writes: “One family member told me on Wednesday that irrational and well-meaning fans at the finalist colleges, who believe they’re serving as de facto recruiters, serve as the worst enemy of their respective programs.”

Those online fan/recruiters risk getting their universities in hot water with the NCAA. Such recruiting on social networking sites can be deemed a secondary violation of NCAA rules.

“We strongly discourage anybody associated with KU from creating accounts for the purpose of convincing a prospect to come to KU because there are NCAA rules against it,” KU associate athletic director Jim Marchiony said Wednesday.

“If we were to discover something like that is taking place, we would bring it to the attention of our compliance office.”

If KU’s compliance officers were able to identify an individual recruiting for KU on a player’s social networking site, you can bet a KU administrator would contact that individual pronto.

“You would ask the person to cut it out,” Marchiony said.

KU’s athletic department tried to get the word out last year after a North Carolina State student was rebuked by N.C. State’s administration after the student started a Facebook site, “John Wall Please Come to N.C. State.”

“After the university told the student to take it down, we did an interview to explain our feelings on the issue. We began the education process,” Marchiony said.

Marchiony was pleased to hear that users of a popular KU Internet message board recently asked Facebook officials to take down the site of somebody posing as a KU fan. It seems that “fan” was posting sketchy comments on sites of various prospects considering KU and other schools.

“I’m glad to hear that. It’s an indication our education efforts are working because it sounds like somebody knew it was against the rules,” Marchiony said.

As far as fans posting negative comments on a recruit’s social networking sites once that recruit picks a school, Marchiony can only hope that’s not taking place around Jayhawk Nation.

“We would hope no KU fan would do that, because no recruit or his family deserves that kind of treatment,” Marchiony said. “I’m sure no school wants its school represented like that. I think criticizing a recruit after he announces for another school is just unnecessary, childish behavior.”

His suggestion to anybody thinking about partaking in such activity?

“They should just look at themselves (and say), this is not the way a right-thinking adult should act,” Marchiony said.

By the way, even fans of Jones’ current leader — Washington — have criticized the high school senior.

The Oregonian reports that there were Huskies fans “in the last few days, learning about his possible indecision and blasting away at Jones with, ‘BE A (bleeping) MAN OF YOUR WORD!’ messages.”

Comments

n8dawg 9 years, 9 months ago

what a joke, some people are just plain d-bags. Get a life! I really hope no hawk fans would do that, but ya never know. We're stacked next year anyway it just would have been a little bonus if we got T Jones

Kye Clark 9 years, 9 months ago

It's sad that fans of the universities he did not chose would call & bombard his social networks with such hateful, negative comments. Unfortunately, you would almost have to guess that several came from KU fans because of the hat fake. I'm sure some of it was from UK fans who thought they had him locked up. Personally, I was disappointed, but held no ill feelings towards the kid. Now I am tired of his act following the press conference, but regardless he doesn't deserve to be contacted by strangers acting like fools.

Marcia Parsons 9 years, 9 months ago

I don't understand why so many are feeling insulted by the hat choice thing. I've seen it done that way for years. This kid was just doing what others have done before--probably looked forward to being good enough that he would be able to do it some day. In fact, if he watched "The Blind Side" that's exactly what Michael Oehr did when choosing between Tennessee and Old Miss. Other recruits we've lost out on have done this. Is it because this time the KU hat was involved? I just don't remember this many hurt feelings about it in the past.

jakejayhawk 9 years, 9 months ago

Can you explain the "hat fake" and other behavior? Many of us were unable to view this event live. Thanks.

Chris Shaw 9 years, 9 months ago

I actually hope TJ will choose Kentucky and Calipari and bring to the table at how disgusting "Recruiting" can get sometimes. I sure would like to see a documentary of the underground world of AAU, runners, agents, and front men like WWW. Here are some options on who to blame:

1) Jefferson High School-They could definitely be blamed for trying to "Exploit" TJ by holding a press conference for the rest of it's athletes.

2) TJ-I understand he is just a kid and he was probably getting a lot of pressure from people in the upper Northwest and at his High School, but he's been in the public eye long enough that he needs to make a decision.

3) Calipari-Nuff Said! I think Calipari is related to all things "Negative" in recruiting at the moment so pick your poison. Calipari himself, his people, his assistant coaches, his runners, or WWW all probably have a say in the matter.

I think that's a good list for now. You could mention the NCAA, AAU, and NBA as governing bodies that all need to get on the same page to eliminate this underground world, but it's going to be quite sometime before it's all cleaned up. Hopefully, by the time my son is a Phenom in about 15 years that there will be some better defined parameters.

Kevin John 9 years, 9 months ago

TJ is going to have so much pressure on himself to perform at the highest level imaginable now. I like the kid regardless of the school he chooses, just hope he doesn't pull a Lance Stephenson and have an average year. Sometimes I think they bring all this pressure on themselves though.

Maybe he will just say forget uk or UW, and choose KU. LOL

Thats just wishful thinking though.

I wish TJ well.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk

DevilHawk 9 years, 9 months ago

1) I can't blame KU fans for being mad at Jones for the deliberate hat-fake.

2) I can't blame UW fans for being mad at Jones for verbally committing at the press conference followed by the current situation. He would benefit from someone telling him that he needs to address the issue and set the record straight.

3) Spot-on response from Marchiony.

KEITHMILES05 9 years, 9 months ago

This is just alot of smoke. This is nothing new for some fans feeling bad about a recruits choice. If Jones and company think he is being singled out then he isn't aware of the real world. Furthermore, if he thinks this is bad just wait till opposing fans taunt him for whatever reason.

Just grow a sack son and STFU.

ldjayhawk 9 years, 9 months ago

I would hate to see any so-called KU fans bothering TJ after he "made" the decision. Leave the kid alone and let him get on whatever future he's got to face. But on the other hand, if he was ready to commit last Friday he should have signed the paper and end all the buzz. I kinda feel Jones has parts to be blamed in this sega.

Timmay97 9 years, 9 months ago

Lets face it......this kid doesn't have a clue what he wants. What bothers me in all of this (and this is just a guess) is that he came to KU for a final visit 2 weeks ago. I'm sure he received first class treatment and ate well. Part of me thinks it was just a free trip for him since he had one final visit left. I truly don't think he had ANY intention to come to KU.

Where would he play? You have the Morris twins, Robinson, Little, Releford and Withey. Personally, I think it was a blessing we didn't get him. We got EXACTLY what we needed, the top point guard in the country (according to Rivals).

KU is sitting pretty for next year. So lets drop the drama of a player that nobody really knows. Recruiting is over for this years class, lets be happy with what we have.

Dirk Medema 9 years, 9 months ago

TJ visited KU b/c Selby recruited him at the All-star game. It's a good thing to play with the best, especially PG, and all the better if your teammate is a friend.

Robert Brock 9 years, 9 months ago

Please...no more stories about Jones - or anyone else who fails to understand what COMMITMENT means.

championhawks 9 years, 9 months ago

Good thing he is not going to KU... We don't need another player with social networking site problems!!!

Ben Kane 9 years, 9 months ago

I think it's important to step back for a moment at times like these and realize that our words on these boards should never be hateful. Frankly there's no reason to ever be hateful (mizery excluded) specially for a reason as sill as a recruit doesn't choose our school.

I'd like to think that all Kansas fans are above the pettiness mentioned in the article, but I'm sure I'm wrong.

Jeffery Barrett 9 years, 9 months ago

soobawls, you are exactly who Marchiony is talking about.

Ben Kane 9 years, 9 months ago

soobawls, you are right, in fact you are constitutionally guaranteed that right...you go! you've certainly put me in place.

soobawls.

I am a little surprised at how many board rats are indifferent to being told, more or less, what not to write, how not to write it, and what constitutes "right-thinking" from an Assistant AD of KU. It stinks of pre-emptive censorship to me.

You've got spunk and, unlike Ed Asner's Lou Grant, I like spunk.

Eric Bernauer 9 years, 9 months ago

soobawls, your comments sound very immature. "I'm going to say just exactly whatever I want to say" . Grow up. These are the words of a boy, not a man.

Jack Wilson 9 years, 9 months ago

waymilky: Sorry, bud, it's freedom of speech, not immaturity.

Rick Arnoldy 9 years, 9 months ago

It's both. One is right and one is wrong.

tis4tim 9 years, 9 months ago

As long as "hate" is not confused with "dissent" then I can somewhat agree with you. Too often though someone is labeled as hateful for expressing an unpopular opinion, something I firmly disagree with.

tennesseest 9 years, 9 months ago

"words on these boards should never be hateful" is an overkill. All you had to do was add "towards student-athletes or recruits" to this quote and I would have agreed. These are immature (normal) 17-22 year olds. They are not perfect, it's part of growing up. Slandering these kids for (almost any reason) is the definition of pathetic.

Ron Prichard 9 years, 9 months ago

Ben Kane 9 years, 9 months ago

"These are immature (normal) 17-22 year olds"

couldn't agree with you more.

Matt1958 9 years, 9 months ago

These types of attacks on a 17-18 year old kid are preposterous. As a true KU and (secondly) a college basketball fan, I find it repulsive.

Brak 9 years, 9 months ago

First of all I agree with everyone and it's pretty sad that people will sink so low to bring a kid down just because he didn't choose the school they are fans of. However when will these big name highschool and college kids learn that even having a twitter account or facebook account has yet to turn out to be a good thing. Not only does it open them up to criticism due to what they post, but it also opens them up to be directly contacted by haters.

bradynsdad 9 years, 9 months ago

up4par2000 i really like your little avatar pic. i would love to know where you got it thanks. i have no other comment on this very old story.

addlime 9 years, 9 months ago

I hate to say it, but I sorta agree with soo on this one. These kids love the attention, and sometimes milk the recruiting processing for all of the media attention they can get. Then they get all soft and victimized (a way of getting more attention) if they hear anything negative. I'm not condoning the yahoos that post that stuff, but in this day and age anything can get out there. Makes me more thankful for the kids that just commit early and fly below the radar. The ones that let their great play get them attention. (Thanks, Cole!)

Chris Shaw 9 years, 9 months ago

Wear Twins Transferring out of UNC. This is not big news unless you're a Tar Heel fan. The Wear Twins should have never been picked for the McDonald's All American game to begin with and were too much "Hype", for some crazy reason, coming out of high school. I would say that this is no big deal for UNC, but considering the state of the program right now, I would say it's a big deal. Somebody in the Pac 10 will snatch up the Twins.

Kye Clark 9 years, 9 months ago

It's somewhat of a big deal. This leaves them with only two remaining post players (assuming Ed Davis stays in the draft), and none of their incoming recruits are bigs. They weren't starters, nor were they going to be in all likelihood, but it does make them thin up front. It's also bad luck for the Heels timing-wise, as there can't be anybody left to sign of any great value. Where this really hurts them is down the line, as they now are developing no bigs for the future. Makes you appreciate our situation all that much more.

Chris Shaw 9 years, 9 months ago

I agree! I was being a little sarcastic by downplaying it a bit simply because it's UNC

jaybate 9 years, 9 months ago

} Harrison Barnes, KU still has a scholie, if you would like to de-commit and have a credible 4-big rotation to support you. :-)

} Regarding the Wear twins, I'm not nearly as pessimistic about them, as you sound. If I were Self I would take, one, or both, in a minute as projects. They are perfect for Hudy-izing and Danny-izing. They are ideal projects for conversion to bangers. But like the Morris' Twins, they weren't really ready to play a whole lots as freshmen (Self masked Marcus all his freshman season, something Roy's not much good at). Heck, one of them was 8-16 from three! Bang and trey. Great. And they would definitely relate with Withey. And Mother Morris and the Twins, two other freshmen that struggled mightily their first seasons, could be very persuasive about the constructive way in which Bill Self has shepherded Marcus and Kieff through the pitfalls of twin-hood in college and college sports. Landing these two guys along with our recent big man commit would dovetail together perfectly two seasons from now and allow Self to focus on trying to land that great 2/3 player we have to land for season after season. They are clearly going to be around till seniors and so they will physically mature where ever they go. The only reason not to take them would be if they were prima donnas, or bad actors. Are those their reputations?

David Hewitt 9 years, 9 months ago

Well, according to ESPN, the fact that North Carolina is so far from Southern California was a factor. If that's a major reason, KU is probably not in the running.

cklarock 9 years, 9 months ago

Ugh. Whichever KU fans wanted to trash a kid online for picking some other college need to get their sorry lives into perspective. We're all disappointed when a talented player chooses to go elsewhere, but taking it out on the kid is pathetic.

KGphoto 9 years, 9 months ago

Don't make a circus out of your school choice and you probably won't have this problem. He's just getting what comes with the circus. With all of the communication vessels being pushed on us, and all the ignorance circulating through them, how could you honestly expect anything else.

I don't care if you are Friends University, you have some ignorant haters. The moral of this story is that there is no story. Sign a letter and go play ball already.

Theutus 9 years, 9 months ago

Couldn't agree more. I'd like to think that Kansas fans would be less likely to bash the kid, because quite frankly we didn't NEED him. It would have been great to bring in another big name talent, but overall it was just "meh" when we didn't get him. Now Kentucky on the other hand does need him. They are having to completely reload, and I think their fans realize it.

Regardless, if this kid would just sign his LOI he'd stop a lot of this nonsense. He built this circus from the ground up, and he's still fueling it by not just committing and staying away from the social network crap.

Chris Bruning 9 years, 9 months ago

cklarock..you're right don't trash the kid and DEFINITELY don't send his family no text messages....BUT it did piss me off that he hat faked KU and we ended up not even bein 2nd choice....that is disrespectful in my mind....i wasn't expecting him to choose KU and i wasn't upset that he didn't choose KU....would have been cool to have him too though....now JOSH SELBY on the other hand, our #1 ranked player, i would have been upset.

Chris Bruning 9 years, 9 months ago

also....calipari is goin to the bulls anyways so as far as his vision for banners and parades and trophies and rings....hope you enjoyed his "blowin smoke up your ass" speech UK fans. lol

Tony Bandle 9 years, 9 months ago

bradynsdad

up4par2000's avatar is an actual photo of soobawls!

Soo, good to hear from you. This site needs to be spiced up a little once in awhile and you never fail to push a few hot buttons. Caustic sarcasm is every bit as covered under the Bill of Rights as gentle praise.

Be as mercilessly mean-spirited, demeaning and outright nasty as you want. It is your right and I am used to it.

milehighhawk 9 years, 9 months ago

Clearly soobawls was able to create a fake login.

jaybate 9 years, 9 months ago

Affirmative to Oakville that is. Milehigh? Nyet as usual.

selfhimbill 9 years, 9 months ago

jones says, "I saw some of it ... really hurtful stuff". (the message must have been in picture graphs since he didn’t say he “read” anything.)

i wonder if he and his family then thought twice about playing ball at all. you know, they may have thought, "i'm not sure all this negative publicity is worth the opportunity to attend a institution of higher learning while honing on-court and life skills in preparation for a career where we may earn millions of dollars.”

then boy jones may say, “mommy, i don’t care. my tummy hurts. i don’t want to play this game of life. it’s too cruel. i just want to be loved.

then mommy jones says, “now, now, let’s not be foolish. i didn’t raise you for nutin. I expect some return, and i don’t mean just pride in your exemplary character."

then boy jones says, “ok mommy, but please make sure i don’t see anything bad about me.”

jaybate 9 years, 9 months ago

I hope you are right and that all Cal and his UK posse use to influence players is a sales pitch promising sizzle and the name of Lebron. It would imply an used car pitch recruiting world, but not a corrupt one.

Tallhawk 9 years, 9 months ago

Ole Roy and UNC look like they are in a downward spiral, sure they have some good recruits coming in but they will again take back seat to Duke which may have played part in the Twins leaving. They could get more minutes playing in the Pac 10 and get just as much attention as if they stayed at UNC.

Kurt Eskilson 9 years, 9 months ago

drgnslayr: Best post of the thread. Period.

Ryan Wood 9 years, 9 months ago

People need some freaking perspective.

This is a nation of idiots, it really is.

jhokfan 9 years, 9 months ago

Proof again that fans behavior is worse than athletes.

Kevin Huffman 9 years, 9 months ago

On another note.....I TOLD everyone that Xavier was making a mistake.

Check out Chad Ford's Mock Draft on Insider on ESPN.com. Has him not even making the Lottery which costs him millions of $s!!!:

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Milwaukee (via Chicago)

Xavier Henry Position: SG Height: 6-7 Weight: 220 Age: 19 School: Kansas

Analysis: John Salmons might end up opting out of his contract, and the Bucks would love to put another blue-chip prospect in the backcourt with Brandon Jennings.

Henry already has an NBA body and can shoot the lights out. He's a little one-dimensional, but he could step in and immediately fill a role for Milwaukee.

...would be the 15th pick and the first one out of the Lottery. Not exactly that high of an opinion of him in calling him too one-dimensional, etc.

Kye Clark 9 years, 9 months ago

Well first of all this is a mock draft by Chad Forde, and he's an idiot. Not saying he's may not be right regarding X's draft position, but he's an idiot nonetheless. That being said, he's still going to be a 1st round draft pick, and that's pretty good. Let's say hypothetically this draft accurately reflects where he'll be taken, being the 15th pick (non-lottery) vs. being the 14th pick (lottery) does not cost him millions. The difference in the rookie salaries between those picks is $76,000/year. So over a 3 year contract that's a difference of $228,300. For a player to see the difference of just ONE million dollars over a 3 year contract, it would be the difference between the 10th pick and the 15th pick. So no, it did not "cost him millions of $s!!!" And in the end regardless of where he goes he probably still made more money given the impending lockout and uncertainty of what rookie contracts would look like under a new CBA.

Steve Gantz 9 years, 9 months ago

This hat fake thing is like a plot from Seinfeld. It's a kid people let him make his choice no matter how he does it. This all is making me a fan of the kid just so he can stick it in peoples faces when he's successful.

Kye Clark 9 years, 9 months ago

drgnslayr - It's not simply his being indecisive that has people frustrated. Being indecisive is fine. It's a big decision, and you're right he has Cal in his ear trying to get his slimy tentacles on him. However, if he still had doubts, he should have said so at the presser and taken his time. To have a press conference organized (Jones and Ross set the dates of either April 23rd or 30th that they were going to announce) with almost 25,000 people watching online, complete with the "drama" of all of the hats lined out on the table, and then to tell the sports world he is going to Washington...that should really be the end of it. If he would have done what Terrence Ross did and signed his LOI right there it would be the end of it, and he wouldn't have to worry about Cal in his ear. And it's not as if anything changed in the minutes following his announcement. There was no other news that changed the college basketball landscape that would justify reconsidering his choice. No coaching change. No early entry into the NBA draft opening up playing time somewhere. Nothing. All the information was there. He made a choice. I hope he sticks with it.

jaybate 9 years, 9 months ago

I hope he goes to school whereever he wants to and I don't care how many times he changes his mind deciding. The only important thing is that he change his mind for appropriate reasons, not for reasons that could get him in trouble.

Kye Clark 9 years, 9 months ago

Jaybate - what if he decides he wants to go to KU? This was your sentiment a few days ago:

"Post Script to Terrence Jones: Please don't sign him, Coach Self. I was a big fan of signing him the first time around, but fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me."

Clearly something put you off about either him or his recruitment process, since you felt "fooled". Either that or you've just had a change of heart.

jaybate 9 years, 9 months ago

Perhaps I should have said: I want for him to try to go where ever he wants.

For his sake, I still want him to try to find the best fit he can for himself.

But as for KU, I would pass on him.

I would have passed on Xavier Henry for the same reason.

Life is very hard to make work even when everyone involved is fully committed and persistently dedicated to doing the best they can in collaboration.

It is a nightmare to try to have to anticipate persons that vascillate about whether they even want to do something.

Persons who change their minds frequently are not bad persons. They just are more work than they are worth, in my experience. Sometimes you get stuck and have to work with them, but why do it if you don't absolutely have to?

Everyone ranks differently criteria for what they require as neccessary to work together.

Steadfast commitment is one of mine.

If you have a lot of trouble making up your mind to work with me, I just don't want to take the chance of that continuing once I get down to business with you. It is not a virtue of mine. It is just how I am.

I still think Terrence Jones could be the greatest thing since sliced bread were he put at the 2 and allowed to develop there. The thought of him playing the 2 still makes my mouth water.

I just think KU would be better off with a person that really wants to be at KU, once they have been cleanly recruited.

Blake Post 9 years, 9 months ago

Any KU fan who did the criticizing of any recruit on any website is wrong and stupid. How is that a good way to encourage present and future recruits to come?
Whoever is so enmeshed in waiting for recruits' decisions should probably look in the mirror and realize there are important, real things in their life to which they might attend. I am comfortable to leave that stuff to Self, Manning and company. I think they know what they are doing.

Kevin John 9 years, 9 months ago

bradynsdad

A while back Iwas searching photobucket for some cool Jayhawk pics and came across that photo. Right away I knew it was a must have, because I love all our KU women.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Joel Hood 9 years, 9 months ago

I don't usually go the PC route - but if you're interested in some other great KU women...

jaybate 9 years, 9 months ago

I....am....not....able...to...type...and...think...of....that....photo...at...the...same....time. :-)

92Jhawk 9 years, 9 months ago

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that IF fans of KU bombarded T. Jones with what amounts to hate mail, that it was from the fans who didn't actually attend the University. I just don't know personally any KU fan (and I've known plenty in my life) who would roll around in the gutter in this manner. It makes me sick and to be honest, if these reports are true, I'll turn into an even bigger fan of Jones in that I'll be rooting for him to tear up the hardwood at UW (or @ any other school he chooses to attend). I've been a HS coach for years and one thing I think happens to those not associated with 18 year-olds is that they don't realize that these are KIDS...we call them "men" or "young men" but they are in reality just kids. Being a fan(atic) of a team does not give us the right to berate kids...

92Jhawk 9 years, 9 months ago

PS, I said that I doubted a fan who would do this didn't actually attend the university. What I meant was that those who went to KU try very hard to not disparage the university...but I didn't mean that fans who went to other schools would knowingly disparage KU either)

PVJayhawk 9 years, 9 months ago

I am sure no KU fans sent Mr. Jones hateful mail as boorish behavior in not in the nature of our people. And one hopes that class and politeness continue to reign over all those who attend this site.

92Jhawk 9 years, 9 months ago

There is a difference between in-fighting and verbal insults directed a teenager. Furthermore, when people invade our site (I consider this board a place developed for fans of KU, not UK or any other school) with verbal garbarge, I see nothing wrong defending ones self. Comparing apples to oranges with sarcasm is lost on me.

Joel Hood 9 years, 9 months ago

PV - I assume your comments were tongue in cheek. But, I will say that most of the board rats who post here are typically rather civil. There are a few posters who can get sort of nasty, but nothing like other message boards I have read. For example, the KC Star message board threads frequently turn into "spitting" contests and there is often very little interesting discussion. Just a handful of rats spewing insults back and forth.

jaybate 9 years, 9 months ago

Or you'll give them a good whacking with your spoon! :-)

Tony Bandle 9 years, 9 months ago

All-Poster Team:

Point Guard - Theutus, Soobawls, Anthonyzal - Because their comments are rarely not pointed.

Shooting Guard - Bradynsdad, bobby_fissure, chucklberry32 - Smooth shooters from the outside.

Swing Man - KUShaw, Ralster, 100 - Shoot soft and easy or drive tough and hard.

Power Forward - icthawkfan316, Lebowski, azalum - Not afraid to mix it up.

Center - KEITHMILES, memhawk, devilhawk - Tough and cool.

Head Coach - Jaybate Assistant Coach - Drgnslayr Head Cheerleader - PVJayhawk Water Boy - OakvilleJHawk

Kye Clark 9 years, 9 months ago

I better get Hudy-ized if you got me at the power forward spot on Jaybate's team, he'll have us playing "Xtreme muscleball" for sure!

nelly20 9 years, 9 months ago

The thing that I don't understand-- as a super-star-- you can go to whatever school you want- all options are great-- you had plenty of time to make visits, talk to coaches, watch ever game during the season, and get a look at where every other prospect signed. (i mean he was practically the last kid to announce)

At the end of this road-- you have to choose a school-- if you need more time, then take it. What i just don't understand is --why there was a press-conf.where a school was picked-- if you were not ready to do just that. people have pushed back dates before. (l steven last year)

Time to stop being a baby. Part of me thinks there is such a big deal made by everyone about this stuff-- that the kids like all the press. KU does not really need him to be honest. He will go to UW.

OakvilleJHawk,

With all due respect, there can only be one coach--100.

Oakville post script...

Slayr and you have to be the assistants.

I do the video for scouting and intercut a lot of Playboy centerfolds.

jaybate 9 years, 9 months ago

icthawkfan316 <----------invisible narrator played by visible Ed Norton?

Just kidding. :-)

One of my favorite ironic paradoxes in film history by Fincher. The narrator is invisible in the book, but visibly invisible in the movie. I don't like to watch Fincher's movies, but he has a kind of genius; that's for sure. Even Kubrick would have chuckled at that one.

But, actually, Tyler Durden is a rather ill-fitting comparison for me.

I like and respect my late father. Tyler didn't like his.

The Oedipal complex some say lies at the heart of Tyler's desire to destroy beauty is not much of an issue for me. Frankly, I like beauty. I like the Mona Lisa the few times I've seen it at the Louvre. My idea of a truly fine day is taking the mythological processional walk at the Uffizi in Florence. I never tire of walking out to overlook the River Arno, which takes on the mythological equivalent of the river of life and of time itself in the processional space program of that great museum. I always look forward to looking back to the red-tiled city buildings and Il Duomo, from the peacefulness of the Arno and proceeding back to the city's reality--to its hustle and bustle--to its streets full of crowds and scootters swarming around cars stuck in traffic--to a sense of rejuvenation. Beauty, as the Uffizi reminds again and again, is not just beautiful. It redeems. It is almost as redemptive as a game of KU basketball played up-tempo. Oh, if only the refs would again call the game, so that an up-tempo style could win a ring...

I am surely not a mysterious extremist, as Tyler is. I am a transparent centrist--a WYSIWYG sort of an alias.

I am also not a movie character, as Tyler is. I am an internet alias. Neither are real, but the latter is an interactive unreal.

Nor am I feline, as Brad Pitt is.

Finally, I do not advocate XTreme Muscle Ball as any sort of self-destructive ritual, nor as any ritual to purify a spiritual desecration of basketball's legacy in our modern, private oligarchy-centric world. :-)

I just can add two and two and accept four, regarding a new equilibrium strategy when referees abdicate rule enforcement to the order of magnitude that they now have done.

ict<-----------------Bob Paulson? :-)

Naaaah.

Just a good KU person.

Rock Chalk!

Kye Clark 9 years, 9 months ago

Oh man, you are too much sometimes. :-)

Obviously it was just a reference to Tyler splicing pornography into films, as you had mentioned intercutting a lot of Playboy centerfields, but I'm sure you got that.

Good stuff though.

BCRavenJHawkfan 9 years, 9 months ago

While it may be true that some KU fans turned ugly with the insults etc., I think we would all agree that there were probably some UK fans posing as KU fans and spewing the garbage.

kranny 9 years, 9 months ago

Fan behavior that is truly pathetic.

azalum,

Lace'em up, strap'em up and buckle down.

Its the off-season and Hudy has a keyboard drill guarantied to give us all XTreme Fingers for going hard to the keyboard by the end of summer.

The theme this past season was "the special season."

The theme this coming season is "bring a gun to a knife fight and a nuke to a gun fight."

XTreme Posting starts now!!!!!

Give me 500 words, or get on the stationary! :-)

Bill Anthony 9 years, 9 months ago

I just now had a chance to read this article and all the posts. A day late and so probably not read by many, but for those of you who come along afterwards let me fill in some facts. Living in the Portland area, I have been able to read a number of articles about this kid.

1 He knew he wasn't ready to make a decision, but the press conference had been

arranged well in advance and he was feeling the pressure to honor that timeline.

Now, there is little doubt that all of us adults posting here would be able to handle
 that kind of pressure with wisdom and grace and say something like, "Thank you
 all for going out of your way to arrange all of this for me and my friend.  I'm sorry
 to inform you that I still have a few things to mull over and am not yet ready to
 commit.  Thank you for coming anyway.  Please enjoy some tea and cookies in
 the lobby."
 Yes, none of us have ever "hat faked" our friends.  And certainly none of us would
 have liked it if he had hat faked to Kentucky and then picked Kansas.  No, not us;
 we're above that sort of silly nonsense.  None of us have ever caved to the
 pressure and told the boss we'd have a project ready by Friday while knowing
 full well that come Thursday we would have to make an excuse or call in sick on
 Friday.  Maybe our attitude toward Jones' actions reflects the old adage that what
 we most dislike in others is often what we most dislike about ourselves.
 Makes me think that Sooballs must be a miserable person (though I occasionally
 agree with him).

2 Though I do not care much for Calipari, Jones said that he called Calipari, not the

other way around.  In fact, he said that he called all of the coaches whose programs
 he rejected because he felt bad about rejecting them.

I will only assume this is true.  Some of you who are feeling bitter about this kid's
 actions could take the time to find out whether it is or isn't.
 If it is true, it shows Jones still has a tender heart and helps explain some of why
 he is having such a hard time making a decision.  And why he may have caved to
 the pressure of making a locally popular choice on a prescheduled selection show
 even though he knew his mind was not truly made up.

My conclusion is following on another post. I guess I'm too long winded. Sorry!

Bill Anthony 9 years, 9 months ago

I know all one or two of you are way eager to read this conclusion so here it is.

Some KU posters need to lighten up. Your reactions are far less mature than Terrence Jones' actions. You're like a salesman throwing a public tantrum about how stupid a potential client was for not buying your product, and a month later wondering why none of his friends will even make an appointment with you. Yes, Sooballs, like an irksome child has a right to whine when the smallest of things doesn't go its way, we adults have the right to publish what we want so long as it's not too obscene or racist. My hope, though, is that college grads, however zealous they are for their school and team, will eventually develop a broad perspective on life, truly mature, and learn that a nicely maintained trail of thought will be far more inviting than one full of rats, snakes and dog crap.

Tony Bandle 9 years, 9 months ago

KUKUKawjoob....our All-Poster team is looking for a play by play guy for TV/Radio. You sure have style and presentation. Are you game to join in?

{Don't forget the bonus Playboy inserts into the game films by Jaybate!!}

Bill Anthony 9 years, 9 months ago

OakvilleJHawk, Sorry for a late reply, I've been out of town. And thanks for the nice words.

I have no idea what you're talking about. I don't keep my computer with me when I watch a game because I would rather just watch and drink beer and eat popcorn, than watch and drink beer and eat popcorn and read and write posts. It sounds intersting, though, especially Jaybates bonus material.

Still, let me know what you're talking about and I'll do what I can.

Rick Arnoldy 9 years, 9 months ago

Soobawls may have the right to say whatever she wants but it's a reflection on her. There's a difference between "can" and "should". People with discretion, reason, and maturity know what it is.

barkingPumpkin 9 years, 9 months ago

I've been a lurker on this site for the past year and generally love the stories about KU basketball and all of the insightful and supportive comments that I see on this site (especially through Brady's DUI and X's shooting slump). I live in a college town in the Big East and have always been proud of KU's program and fans in contrast to other schools... always classy and maintain the correct perspective. This is a game and these kids are just that... kids.

I had to create an account and post in response to this story. It's absolutely abominable for anybody to be harassing this kid about the decision he made for his life. He's making a decision about his own personal life that (in reality) has nothing to do with any of you. If you're a fan of college basketball, you should respect his decision and truly wish him the best.

I mean, it's not like he chose Kentucky...

Andrew Moore 9 years, 9 months ago

People are upset about the Baron Davis-ish KU hat fake. We don't like it even if it wasn't intentional.

We don't like the fact that he's even considering Kentucky because we aren't proud of Calipari.

I was one of the few who didn't want Mr. Jones because I didn't think he'd play much and if he did it would be at the expense of two of my favorite Jayhawks, Mario Little and Thomas Robinson. (okay, I don't really have favorites)

I'm curious as to what big east town you're in. Its not like a Rutgers, Seton Hall, South Florida, Providence bottom dweller is it? Are they nuts about their school?

Randy Bombardier 9 years, 9 months ago

I don't think that every "fan" post is a fan post at all. I think many could be posers trying to attribute shame to the schools that are their competitors. For instance, if I posed anonymously as "KenBlue" as my username and made disparaging remarks people would think it is just another sour Kentucky fan, when in fact I am a Kansas fan. Of course KU fans have too much class to do that, right? In general I think moderators need to jump on any hurtful, disparaging remark. Perhaps the whole recruiting process is too open. Perhaps it should be a privacy issue right up until the time the recruit signs a letter that he/she will receive a scholarship, ie public funds.

Martin Shupert 9 years, 9 months ago

The hat fake was irritating. I wondered, "What in the world did Bill Self do to this kid to deserve that?" and I'm sure the answer is, "Nothing at all." So, why do it? It showed a calous nature and a little bit of bitterness. As soon as he did that, I didn't want him anyway. Why would we need the drama? And when I heard he had second thoughts, oh my!, we REALLY don't need that kind of thing here. We have a good group of kids and I think this kid may prove to be poison. I could be wrong, but the way he conducted himself reminded me of Jimmy Clausen's bling filled, limo ride ceremony as he blessed Notre Dame with his choice. That didn't turn out all that bad, but it surely didn't help. The less drama, the better. A few less tiffs with the football team, winning the Big Twelve (we are entitled, are we not?), and going deeper in the tournament, and it will be a very good year. Then TJ can have more and more second thoughts as time goes by! I would love to have a picture, someday, of Josh Selby showing Jones the ring on his finger. "That's what you get for your hat fake, funny man."