Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Former Jayhawk Reesing honored

Kansas quarterback Todd Reesing warms up at Arrowhead Stadium before taking on Missouri in the 2009 Border Showdown.

Reesing honored

Ex-Jayhawk Reesing earns honors

Ex-Jayhawk Todd Reesing was named to an honors team which includes players from all divisions with a GPA of 3.2 or better.

Though his college playing days are behind him, Kansas University quarterback Todd Reesing continues to collect hardware.

Tuesday, Reesing was named to the 2010 National Football Foundation Hampshire Honor Society, a select group of college football players from all divisions who maintained a core grade-point average of 3.2 or higher.

Throughout his career, Reesing’s accolades off the field rivaled those of his game-day triumphs. Reesing, who graduated in December with degrees in finance and economics, recently was honored by KU as the male senior scholar athlete of the year. In addition, he also earned an NFF National Scholar-Athlete award, academic all-district honors and academic All-Big 12 honors for the third straight year.

Reesing capped his playing career with 11,194 passing yards and 90 touchdowns in four seasons, both KU career records. In addition, he led the Jayhawks to back-to-back bowl victories in 2007 and 2008 and was the fifth-leading passer in Big 12 history.

After being bypassed in last month’s NFL Draft, Reesing has spent the past several days exploring his options elsewhere. The Saskatchewan Roughriders, of the Canadian Football League, own Reesing’s CFL rights and appear to have serious interest in signing the former KU quarterback.

KU looking for linemen

Springdale, Ark., offensive lineman Travis Bodenstein, 6-foot-5, 295 pounds, has made two visits to KU — including one for the spring game — and told Rivals.com this week that he hopes to make a decision by the end of the month.

The Class of 2011 lineman lists KU, Kansas State and Auburn as his favorites and, of those three, KU is the only school to have offered. Bodenstein’s other offers have come from East Carolina, Memphis, Ohio and Tulsa.

The Jayhawks also recently have extended an offer to offensive lineman Tyler Pierson, 6-4, 280, of Clearwater, Fla. Pierson’s only other offer is from Colorado State.

KU also had sent out offers to O-linemen Garrett Gladd, 6-4, 280, and Austin Blythe, 6-3, 280, but Gladd committed to Stanford last week, and Blythe committed to Iowa on Monday.

Comments

gardenjay 9 years, 1 month ago

O-linemen are a dying breed. Time to bulk up people!

Ben Kane 9 years, 1 month ago

well deserved for Reesing. love seeing us recruit in Florida!

Bill Kackley 9 years, 1 month ago

It seems to me that every recruit we are after is only being recruited by lightweight schools. Have we taken one step forward and 2 steps backward in our recruiting?

sevenyearhawk 9 years, 1 month ago

Yup.

Because Buffalo ain't Auburn, baby ...

9 years, 1 month ago

Let’s be realistic, we aren’t exactly a football powerhouse. Frankly, we are going to be mentioned in the same breath as some schools we are currently on the same tier as (2nd tier possibly, 3rd tier probably) when it comes to filling needs with available players. That being said, based on previous LJW articles, HCTG has shown he is willing to go after top recruits early and often.

Unless you are creating placeholders now for I-told-you-so’s later, we need to give HCTG a chance before we throw him under the bus.

sevenyearhawk 9 years, 1 month ago

No, Kansas isn't a powerhouse, but another coach with a proven track record in the toughest conference wanted to take a chance ...

I just continue to be baffled that Lew didn't even interview Tuberville.

Everyone says - well, he wouldn't have stayed here ...

Maybe, maybe not.

But even traditional powerhouses are vulnerable to that - consider Tennessee and Lane Kiffin.

KGphoto 9 years, 1 month ago

Regina is a beautiful city, and the Roughies will be proud to have Todd!

DutchMo 9 years, 1 month ago

I am tired of these "Ex-Jayhawk" titles. If your a jayhawk, your a jayhawk, always. Plus, has he graduated yet? I for one am proud Todd is and will always be a Jayhawk.

9 years, 1 month ago

"Reesing, who graduated in December with degrees in finance and economics, recently was honored by KU as the male senior scholar athlete of the year."

Milhawkee 9 years, 1 month ago

Yes I agree.

How about Jayhawk Legend Todd Reesing?

Matt Kenton 9 years, 1 month ago

I also disagree with the term "ex-jayhawk." Also, how are his playing days behind him if a CFL team has serious interest?

Marcia Parsons 9 years, 1 month ago

I think he was referring to his playing days as KU quarterback.

Dennis Mahorney 9 years, 1 month ago

To bad they did not have any photos of Reesing without his mouth in his chinstrap to chose from.

slowplay 9 years, 1 month ago

Has he signed with anyone? Last I heard he was going to give the CFL a shot.

kranny 9 years, 1 month ago

I'm not too clear on the history, but I don't think KU has ever clearly recruited many "pure" linemen. Collins was a converted TE as is Hawkinson and one now is a ex HS linebacker. I'd like to see this change and go after HS linemen who also wrestled.

kranny 9 years, 1 month ago

Also, is there a reason why LJW is still advertising the APRIL 24TH spring game? This is similar to the "Gooden is Gone" article that stayed on the site for about 2 years(or so it seemed) way back when.

JJHAWK 9 years, 1 month ago

Not sure but that may be how you define sleepy college town . . ?

Gordon Penny 9 years, 1 month ago

I spent several wonderful years at KU, and I am still a Jayhawk. I am not an ex-Jayhawk. Same goes for athletes. This moniker has annoyed me for a very long time. I am glad someone else finally spoke up. Ex makes it sound like KU has separated itself from the person

Blake Post 9 years, 1 month ago

Just gotta love that Flutie.... I mean Reesing.

I have almost forgotten a lot of players for KU over the years.

I'm doubting I forget Reesing, Meier, Briscoe and Sharp, even with that weird final year. And Aqib, of course, from earlier year.

As a fan, I'm back to hoping to stomp the stinking crap out of KSUcks and Misery, and hope to do the same to nebrasska. The latter jumped up while we hopped down though.