Originally published March 29, 2010 at 11:27a.m., updated March 30, 2010 at 12:00a.m.

Cole Aldrich going pro: Junior center leaving KU to enter NBA Draft

Kansas center Cole Aldrich declares his intention to enter the NBA draft alongside head coach Bill Self, Monday, March 29, 2010 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Audio clip

Cole Aldrich press conference

Videos

Videos: Aldrich to go pro

video thumbnail

Kansas center Cole Aldrich spoke with media about his intentions to enter the 2010 NBA draft Monday, March 29, 2010 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Walt Aldrich was watching highlights of his son’s news conference Monday afternoon in his home in Bloomington, Minn., when his beeper went off.

The volunteer firefighter responded to a call that turned out to be a false alarm.

“Someone hit a gas line with their weed wacker,” Walt Aldrich, father of Kansas University junior center Cole Aldrich, explained.

He hurried back home to resume reviewing the big news of the day — Cole Aldrich’s declaring for the 2010 NBA Draft in a 3:30 p.m. media gathering in Allen Fieldhouse.

“He loves college and the team, (but) I think he has a feeling he’s ready. It’s time to be paid for having fun,” Walt Aldrich said.

Cole will be paid a bundle of money — in fact, he’s ticketed to be an instant millionaire — after being tapped in the first round of the June draft.

The money should help in various ways.

“Cole has talked a lot about this being a tough year. I don’t think the public or media would possibly know what his family members have gone through this year,” KU coach Bill Self said in applauding the 6-foot-11, 250-pounder’s decision to turn pro.

“I think it was a very, very easy decision and one that needed to be made.”

Walt Aldrich has not had a steady paycheck the past four years. He has worked part-time jobs off and on — including jobs in Topeka and Kansas City — following a slowdown in the economy, specifically the sheet-metal construction business. Walt’s wife, Kathy, also had been out of work the past school year.

“Our ‘rainy-day fund’ was getting pretty thin,” said Walt, indicating that wasn’t the reason Cole turned pro.

Walt’s happy to report he recently obtained a full-time janitorial position with benefits at a plant that makes balloons, while his wife has contracted a pair of embroidering jobs.

“When we talked, we told him, ‘It’s your life, kid. You are an adult. Don’t worry about us. We’ve always made it and always will,’” Walt said. “It’s just time. He’s almost 7-foot, can shoot and blocks a lot of shots. You’d think some team could use somebody like him.”

Various NBA Draft sites list Aldrich as a certain lottery (top 14) pick.

“I’m hoping to go really high,” said Cole Aldrich, who said he now is in the market for an agent as he enters the draft with no looking back. “I’ll take the individual workouts (for NBA teams) from here on out until the draft and make sure I put myself in the best position to help whatever team I go to be successful.”

Self — he said he has known since last April that Aldrich would be turning pro after three seasons — said it’s “almost irrelevant” where Aldrich is selected.

“We all know he’s going to go pretty high ... whether he goes No. 5 or 14, I think so much of it would be dependent on what other bigs are in the draft,” Self said.

“Regardless of where he’s projected, in his particular situation, I think it’s the right move now for him to go ahead and enter. I’d strongly discourage him from coming back. I think he’s paid his dues here, and it’s time for him to move forward into another chapter. He’s made a lot of sacrifices — and his family has — for him to come back (for junior year) in a time where he didn’t have to. We’re all very proud of him.”

Aldrich, who recently was named college basketball’s academic player of the year, said his goal is to graduate in May of 2011.

“It’d be cool to walk down the hill in May with Tyrel (Reed), Conner (Teahan), (Chase) Buford, and Brady (Morningstar) is probably going to get there sometime,” joked Aldrich, who will be about 16 hours shy of his degree after this semester.

“It’s going to be a busy summer. It’s going to be a busy spring. I’m going to work hard on the basketball court, and if I have time, work hard in the classroom.”

He fought back tears at a news conference attended by teammates, coaches, administrators and his girlfriend.

“I don’t want to get choked up or anything, but the last three years have been pretty special. A lot of highs and a few lows this summer with my grandma (who died after bout with cancer),” Aldrich said.

“But it’s a special time, I think, for me and my family. I have talked to them extensively. We went through somewhat of the same process last year figuring out what I wanted to do, whether I wanted to come back and have another great year or go from one great chapter to hopefully starting another great chapter in life.”

Aldrich — who finished his KU career four blocks shy of Greg Ostertag’s school-record total of 258 — said he wished the team were still playing.

“We were all upset that it had to end so short,” said Aldrich, who was part of KU’s national title team in 2008. “Being a part of a team that went and played all six games and then playing three games last year, we had high goals. But those goals are going to be there again. And I hope the team next year is going to be there again. I’m really going to support those guys.”

Perhaps as a member of his hometown Minnesota Timberwolves?

“I think it’d be special, just being a kid from Minnesota all my life. I don’t know how realistic it’d be. If it’s the best situation for me as a player, it’d be great. I just want to be in the best situation for myself and my family,” he said.

Comments

DSommersby 4 years, 9 months ago

ONE MORE YEAR! We love you Cole! We will no matter what.

Jonathan Briles 4 years, 9 months ago

I really hope he stays for his own senior night. I highly doubt that he will be back, but I would sure welcome his return.

jayhawkinnc 4 years, 9 months ago

He's gone. There's really no other reason to hold a press conference to say you're not going pro. Although, Jacque Vaughn held a presser 14 years ago saying he was staying for his senior year.....so maybe there's a chance Cole will say he's sticking around.

brooksmd 4 years, 9 months ago

I think he's going to say "I'm staying." I know we hear his family is struggling, but trust me as a parent, his parents are telling him not to worry about that and think about his future and dreams.

Ryan Mullen 4 years, 9 months ago

Congrats Cole, you will finally have money to get that tooth fixed.

keith horinek 4 years, 9 months ago

Cole will go down as one of the best players at KU despite having an average year this year. I thought he had more to give but I understand his health problems this year and all. I hope he comes back and goes for another run but I think most people would understand if he doesn't. Also, with Sherron leaving, I see no reason for him to stay, as they were very close.

YuCoJayHawk 4 years, 9 months ago

if the mock draft I saw was close.....X going 8th, Cole going 12th, I'd say X is 98% gone, Cole is 80% gone. Their might be just enough desire in Cole after the UNI loss to come back, but if I were him, I would probably go to the league.

Hawktacular 4 years, 9 months ago

He is staying. You heard it here first.

trueblue9 4 years, 9 months ago

Sherron 2nd team AP all-american, Cole 3rd. Congrats guys.

sportdan30 4 years, 9 months ago

Unfortunately, I think he's leaving. With that said, I don't think it's necessarily a terrible thing for the program. How many scholarships do we have next year? If he and Henry came back, along with Woolridge coming in, our roster would be bubbling over. I already thought the sheer number of players this year hurt our chemistry and the play on the floor. Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing more contributions from Withey and Robinson. There were several times this season where I thought we played better with Cole on the bench. Of course, we sorely missed his defense, but the athleticism with both Morris brothers on the floor was fun to watch as well.

In any case, good luck to Cole with whatever decision he makes!

Jaminrawk 4 years, 9 months ago

He's going pro. Rarely does a senior year improve one's stock. He is pretty much guaranteed a lottery pick right now. We'll miss Cole, but the cupboard isn't bare.

JerryWestFan 4 years, 9 months ago

Cole really needs to stay another year. With all the hype and expectations for this year, Aldrich really was disappointing. He did not look strong or tough enough under the basket throughout the year. Plus he couldn't make those 5-7 foot hook shots that would have been a devastating weapon under the hoop. A prime example of why he should not leave early is Kevin Love. Yeah Love has had bright spots this year with Minnesota, but they are so far and few in-between. He shouldn't be worried about the money, because for a player his size and potential, there will always be a team.

hometownhawk 4 years, 9 months ago

oljhk, "average year"?

Average for whom? He was widely regarded as the best interior defender in the nation and set the KU single season record for blocks. If that's "average" then I'm curious to see an "above average" or even "good season"

Lonnie Ross Dillon 4 years, 9 months ago

He was just named 3rd team All American (Sherron was 2nd team). Just sayin'

Kye Clark 4 years, 9 months ago

sportdan - from a scholarship standpoint we really need either him or X to leave so we have one to offer Selby. No slight against Cole or X. I would love to have them back.

I don't know that next year we are going to have any less of a problem with the number of players expecting to see significant minutes. Consider the roster:

Perimeter players EJ Tyshawn Tyrel Brady Mario Little Travis Releford Royce Woolridge

Post Players Marcus Markieff TRob Withey

With the exception of Woolridge (who I think is better off red-shirting), all of those guys will have some expectation of seeing significant court time.

KEITHMILES05 4 years, 9 months ago

It's time he leaves and chases his dream. He's gonna have a difficult time playing until he gets his medical situation under control. He could barely play 5 mins. without being winded and gasping. Off the court word is he's not the nicest person.

davidmac 4 years, 9 months ago

We wish him well which every way he decides. He has been a great asset to KU and would be a great senior if he stays.

Rick Arnoldy 4 years, 9 months ago

I’m with Hometown. If that was an “average” year, I’ll take it.

woowoowoo01 4 years, 9 months ago

With the potential NBA lockout after next season, this is the time to get paid. Cole and X are gone. If they dont take it while they can, they might not get paid their weight in gold if they stay. The more I look at next years squad, I like what I see even without Cole and X. As long as we land one big diper dandy.

kvskubball 4 years, 9 months ago

Keithmile...

Where do you get your info?....

"Off the court word is he's not the nicest person."

Are you talking about Cole?

cmm889 4 years, 9 months ago

as far as Keith's comment concerning whether or not Cole's a nice person or not, have you ever actually met or spoken with the kid? I sat next to him in a class for an entire semester and he was amazingly nice considering his obvious popularity.

Cole deserves the best the NBA can offer him, regardless of his stats this season, he's obviously a fantastic player.

Congrats to cole eitherway, although if he did stay... the senior night for cole would be just as intense as sherron's... i get chills just thinking about it.

jayhawkintexas 4 years, 9 months ago

Cole should go to the league. Another year probably wouldn't help his progress and there is always the threat of a serious injury. I appreciate all his hard work and dedication to KU and wish him well for the future.

Brett Forreal 4 years, 9 months ago

Betting Cole declares but doesn't hire an agent so he may come back after he probably gets showed up by the others. Hate to say this.

nettiepie 4 years, 9 months ago

Yeah, I agree that you don't hold a press conference to say you're staying...unless you're Roy Williams. I wish Cole the best. He was one of my favorite players in a while. He should go to the next level.

jhokfan 4 years, 9 months ago

icthawk:

I'd rather keep X and Cole than get a one and done. I think Kentucky and others have proven once and for all that these kids who are forced into a year of college don't translate into winning a title.

But I think it's a moot point. Both are likely gone.

MDHawk 4 years, 9 months ago

I can't help but wonder what, if any, effect Cole's decision will have on X's impending decision. Any thoughts? I agree with those that say he is probably gone, but I can imagine reasoning to hold a press conference one way or the other. He's surely doing it either as a "pick-me-up", a.k.a. he's staying, or as a "don't-leave-a-bro-hanging", a.k.a. he's turning pro. His decision is a big deal for himself and Jayhawk fans, so I think a press-conference is warranted in either case. Besides, 3:30 sounds like a perfect time for a study-break.

I'm excited about this group of guys, with or without Cole. He'll always be welcome, of course, but I think we have good potential regardless.

Kye Clark 4 years, 9 months ago

jhokfan - I agree on it being a moot point.

Here's where I disagree - First of all, keeping both Cole & X doesn't solve our point guard problems next year. Who are we counting on to run the point? Tyshawn? I hope not. EJ? Not sold on that either, with him not being able to steal any minutes this year from Brady, Tyrel, or Tyshawn. Tyrel or Brady? No way. Fact is we need to bring in a point guard next year. Not crazy about the idea of starting a freshman point guard either, but that might be the best of limited options.

Secondly, who's to say Josh Selby (or anyone else we bring in) would be a one and done? Wasn't Rush supposed to be one and done? And you say you'd rather keep X, but wasn't he brought in as a one and done? Saying you'd rather keep X kinda defeats the premise of your arguement about bringing in this highly ranked talent that you assume would be one and done.

Third, I would agree that having a bunch of one and dones doesn't translate into winning a title (like Kentucky this year), but what about Syracuse & Carmelo Anthony? Having one on an experienced team has worked before, and next year we will be loaded with experience. Juniors Tyshawn & the Twins (and 3rd year sophomore Travis Releford). Seniors Brady, Tyrel, & Mario (a 5th year senior).

KULA 4 years, 9 months ago

Cole's gonna be a much better offensive player in the NBA where he won't be doubleteamed every time he touches the ball.

sdoyel 4 years, 9 months ago

He's gone. I could be wrong but I dont believe he and Sherron held a presser last year to say they were "staying".

Jacobpaul81 4 years, 9 months ago

Cole was a great player for us and has a better shot of making it in the NBA than Sherron. I'd take it now. There's a high percentage chance he would actually see less minutes next year given the returning roster. He was significantly slower than the rest of the players this season. With further development of the Morris twins and another year for Withey and Robinson to develop physically, it would have been stiff competition at the 4-5 spot. Without Cole, the 4 guys can rotate relatively easily.

I've always said this was going to be one more re-building year. When we were standing there with only 2 loses, I was shocked. I personally think the next 2 seasons may be the best in Kansas history if Bill can hold the team together. Speed and depth-wise, they look like the 2007-2008 team and have role players to fill in if someone vital gets hurt. I could be wrong, but I expect the following starting lineup if X returns.

As for the guy knocking Tyshawn. Taylor's worst moments were at times when Sherron was on the court. Without Sherron, Taylor did very well controlling the offense. I believe there was a clash in styles present. Sherron had the same problems with Mario and Russell. If you watch games, those two along with Brandon would purposely keep the ball away from him at times. It's there, on the tape. Expect next season to be a major breakout year for Taylor.

kcmostwanted 4 years, 9 months ago

He's gone. Just got a text from ESPN. Also, he's potential lottery/top 10 pick so he won't even play at the camps..he'll just to for interviews and measurements...

So MZ, he won't get "showed up" by other players.

I'm very happy for him...I don't think he's going to be a star, but he should be able to average 10pts/10rebs/5blks a game in the NBA... He'll be a 12-13 year player in the league and make plenty of money

Thanks for everything Cole :-)

Kye Clark 4 years, 9 months ago

Jacobpaul - I hope you're right about the next two seasons. Personally, I have concerns about our outside shooting. Nobody besides Tyrel can be counted on to make a 3 (not counting X, who I believe is also gone). And I wouldn't say Tyshawn's worst moments were when Sherron was on the floor. His worst moments were fighting with the football team, thinking he was gonna go pro after this year, considering transferring on his facebook page, and crying to the press about not knowing his role. The guy was a knucklehead this year. Can't blame Sherron for that. I'm not giving up on the guy, but he has plenty of room for improvement, basketball-wise and maturity-wise.

Chicago_JHawk 4 years, 9 months ago

Just read that there's a new NCAA rule (at least one I hadn't heard before) that players declaring for the draft but not signing with an agent have until only May 8 to withdraw now? Used to be a week or so before the late June draft.

Nice rule for colleges waiting to see whether they have a scholarship to give or not...though it would have screwed BRush when he tore his ACL in the summer of '07.

That said, no way he withdraws, and he shouldn't. He'll do well at the next level.

Jaminrawk 4 years, 9 months ago

I can't believe there are actual Jayhawk fans on here being negative about Cole. The NBA salivates over guys that are legitimate centers. Cole is a big bodied, 6'11", defensive presense that can hit freethrows and has some offensive skill. He'll get drafted in the Top 10 and be on an NBA roster for over 10 years. The only reason he would come back is to win it all and there is going to be a lot of transition to be made next year. It's not like Hansbrough coming back with Green, Lawson and Ellington. Cole was easily one of the best Jayhawk centers of all-time. Appreciate what he did.

Hawktacular 4 years, 9 months ago

Note to all: Self doesn't land the top diaper dandies. He landed Xavier by default, otherwise he loses out because he won't gaurantee anyone playing time. I love the blind optimism about us landing Selby, but let's be real.

100 4 years, 9 months ago

C'mon Cole, shock the ESPN headlines, who are already predicting you are gone!

One more year, it will be the greatest year of your life & Danny can teach you that little unstoppable baby hook shot that will make you the top draft pick 2011!

Come back & have a blast Cole Train!!!!!

Brett Forreal 4 years, 9 months ago

kcmostwanted-Nice name. Sounds like America's most wanted or a conceited/shallow person...anyway The key is like you said "potential". He is not a lock for the top 10.

rxjayhawk 4 years, 9 months ago

If we don't get Selby, it's not that big of a deal. Why would we have brought in Elijah Johnson if we are just going to be like Kentucky and go get one and done point guards. I'm ready for Elijah to impress a lot of people next season. Yeah he needs some work, but I have faith in our coaching staff. Rck Chalk Jayhawk!!!

Kye Clark 4 years, 9 months ago

Hawktacular - um...Julian Wright, Mario Chalmers, Brandon Rush. Ring any bells? The Number 8, 12, & 13 ranked recruits that year, respectively. Those seem like "top diaper dandies" to me. Selby is ranked #4...that's not the biggest leap in the world from 8 to 4. No he hasn't landed a top 5 recruit...yet. Here's a link containing video of Selby discussing his options:

Not saying it's a done deal or lock or anything, just trying to keep it real for you.

Phoggin_Loud 4 years, 9 months ago

Going, Going, Gone.

Good luck, Cole. Thanks for the memories and the success you brought to ol' KU.

You are appreciated.

Kye Clark 4 years, 9 months ago

Why does everyone assume that Selby (or any top 10 recruit) will automatically be one and done? Last year's #5 recruit - John Henson (UNC). Not a one-and-done. 2008s #2 recruit - Samardo Samuals (LOU). Has stayed 2 years, no word on turning pro. 2007's #5 recruit - Kyle Singler (Duke). Has stayed 3 years and have not heard a lot of chatter about him turning pro after this season. 2006's #4 recruit - Chase Budinger (ARI). Stayed for 3 seasons. 2005's #2 recruit - Josh McRoberts (Duke). Stayed 2 years. That's atleast one top 5 recruit not being a one-and-done (or going straight to the NBA, as was allowed in 2005) for the past 5 years. I could have listed a lot more if I expanded to the top 10. It's true a lot do leave after one year, but it's not set in stone, and definitely shouldn't detract KU from pursuing the best talent available.

gardenjay 4 years, 9 months ago

Giving it your all in college basketball is getting a college degree. You could just go pro out of high school. There should be a rule that you are required to attend college for 4 years or you lose NBA eligibility. I mean, what is the point here? College is not about dropping out, and if these athletes are supposed to be role models, then it must be that money is more important than education.

NOT!!! Thank you, students who take up low-paying degrees such as education and journalism. Clearly you weren't scanning the book of how much $$$ you make in life before deciding on your careers. Carry on.

Again, thank you Danny Manning.

Joel Hood 4 years, 9 months ago

Cole committed to KU when he was in what, the 6th grade????

He has been nothing but loyal and a great guy for KU - AP All American - THE Academic All American for 2010. He always says the right thing and played to the best of his abilities.

Selfishly, I'd love for him to stay for his senior year. But, the risk of staying is way too high - especially if he is anywhere near a top 10 pick. Thanks for everything Cole - best of luck in the draft

gchawk 4 years, 9 months ago

gardenjay: Actually you can't go pro right out of high school anymore, use to be able to but not now. As far as Cole not being all that nice, that is completly false, he's a terrific young man. Unfortunately whenever you're in the public eye there will always be someone you might alienate, happens with any form of being envolved with the public. Selfishly I'd love to see Cole come back, but will support his decision either way.

jhokfan 4 years, 9 months ago

icthawk:

Hard to dispute your point guard argument but is EJ that big of a stretch? Tyshawn, too immature. College players can and often do improve dramatically from one season to the next. That being said I wouldn’t deny Selby a scholarship.

My point however is that more times than not recruiting these types of players do not translate into a title. One could use Syracuse as an argument in defense of this strategy but I think they are the exception to the rule. Were it not for our horrid free throw shooting they would not be in this discussion. And yes we don’t know exactly how long these type of players will actually remain in college. Brandon was only here in 08 because of an injury and for once an injury to a KU player turned out to work to our advantage. Good guard play is essential in the tournament. I’m convinced that having experienced upperclassman is equally important. I think that is the reason we won it in 08. An equally talented group of freshman and sophomores would have folded.

Hawktacular:

As long as Calipari is coaching he will have a distinct advantage over Coach Self. The absence of academic standards is appealing to kids who are only in college because the NBA won’t allow them to play. I think Bill has held his own.

Hawktacular 4 years, 9 months ago

icthawkfan316-

Comparing Julian Wright, Chalmers and Rush to #4 Selby is apples to oranges, bro (or bro-ette).

jlbird85 4 years, 9 months ago

GO get 'em Cole. Thanks for everything, you're a great example of a model student-athlete on and off the court and the type of person/player I'd love to have a continuous stock-pile of. Best of luck to you and your family. Rock Chalk.

darshben 4 years, 9 months ago

what are the chances of Xavier henry leaving this year and getting drafted to OKC?

LPH_hawkfan 4 years, 9 months ago

KKunde, I just read the same thing you posted.

Thanks for all the memories, Cole. Good luck in the future.

vmwskywalk 4 years, 9 months ago

Good luck Cole you deserve it!

As for X...Stay another year. You will be all the better for it. Oh yeah, and tell Carl to chill out. He'll be better for it as well.

BCRavenJHawkfan 4 years, 9 months ago

gchawk:

Technically I am pretty sure a high schooler can go straight to the pro ranks. It's just that they would go to Europe. I don't think the NBA is saying these kids have to go to one year of college, I think the stipulation is they have to be a certain age. Going to Europe and playing pro ball there for a year would meet the requirement. But how many of the families of these kids are going to jump on that boat? Too much of an unknown. And these kids probably don't want to do that, it would mean leaving everyone they run around with. Xavier, as some will remember, did give the Europe thing some consideration.

halogenlamps 4 years, 9 months ago

He SOOO needs one more year of college.

nobody1793 4 years, 9 months ago

Why can't high school grads go to the D-League for a year? Get some of that Quinn Snyder coachin'-up.

Ed Brown 4 years, 9 months ago

Sad for us, happy for him. I just can't believe his breathing issues haven't been seen down the stretch by the scouts. I would say not top 10 until he can show that is behind him.

jhwk215 4 years, 9 months ago

say it aint so! i will miss the on-missing-tooth smile i always see on his face after a win if he really does go. hopefully he doesnt talk to an agent and changes his mind by may 8th

gchawk 4 years, 9 months ago

BCRaven: You are absolutely correct with your statement. The way the NBA rules read now are that you have to be at least 19 years of age and 1 year removed from high school before you can enter the NBA. Just read that Cole has made the announcement to go to the NBA. Thanks for the memories, big guy, and wish for you the very best. Rock Chalk

GabrielMichael 4 years, 9 months ago

Thanks for everything Cole! You represented KU well and we are proud of you! I think I speak for everyone that if things don't shake out well in the pre-draft camps and you don't sign with an agent we'd love to have you back!

MitchumMan 4 years, 9 months ago

Doing the right thing for his family. Good luck Cole! Would have loved that extra year but that is selfish of me, especially when you've given us so much.

MDHawk 4 years, 9 months ago

Good luck, buddy. We'll miss you, but good luck in the NBA!

Andy Hess 4 years, 9 months ago

good luck in the league, Cole. tear it up!

Chris Bruning 4 years, 9 months ago

hometownhawk (anonymous) says… oljhk, "average year"? Yes, hometownhawk, average year...olijhk is right.AVERAGE.....second game of the year vs. Memphis we seen signs of what i expected alllll year long...made shots, in your face pull the rim down dunks, smooth moves, go to guy.....really all he did is get some boards and block a good amount of shots.....and miss more than his share of high percentage shots the rest of the year....definitely average

JayhawkRock 4 years, 9 months ago

Bill Self just said that he discouraged Cole from coming back...Is this a tell? Because we all know that we need an open scholarship for Selby to be able to come...Does this mean that X may be coming back? Very interesting wording that was used by Self.

Rick Arnoldy 4 years, 9 months ago

"College is not about dropping out, and if these athletes are supposed to be role models, then it must be that money is more important than education."

Gardenjay, college is about preparing yourself for life in the working world - skillwise or personal growth. If a player is ready, he's ready with or without a degree. I really doubt any of them are going to college to become role models.

jhokfan 4 years, 9 months ago

Good luck!

Wish he was staying but I can't blame him. Even if he rides the pine he will make a very nice living. (see Greg Dreiling)

TxJyHwk 4 years, 9 months ago

ohioburg - well said. In addition, my understanding is that he is one or two classes away from graduation and can take them as correspondence courses.

gardenjay 4 years, 9 months ago

gchawk,

Why are you reading that Cole is not all that nice? How sad for you.

College basketball players need to go for four years and at least try to get a degree. Especially the academic all-Americans. Crimony.

Basketball, professional musicians - there is always the risk of injury toasting your career. However, if it was required then it would just be part of the risk. They win if they get a degree, and basketball remains the gamble it was already. Win win.

Jaminrawk 4 years, 9 months ago

Not that I think it's likely. But I bet Xavier isn't so sure right now. If he comes back next year, he would be option 1A to Marcus's 1B. Xavier is definitely a 1st rounder right now and possibly lottery according to scouting services. But, if he did come back next year, he can play ball with his brother one more year and improve his game dramatically. Like I said, probably not gonna happen but I'm more sure now that he's on the fence than I was after the NIU game.

Jeremy Wilhelm 4 years, 9 months ago

Good luck Cole! Among my favorite plays of all time: Cole swallowing up a Tyler Hansbrough shot at the free throw line on our way to blowing that '08 Final Four game wide open.

icthawkfan316 - in your early post, your lineup of players left out CJ Henry... I know he's been hurt and inactive most of the season, but when he played he showed some flashes. You're not the first person I've seen leave him off of their projected roster. Anyone have opinions on how he'll be able to contribute, if at all? Did I miss something about him not being around next year?

I like that CJ and the other returning guards will give us 4 players that are around 6'4" or 6'5" playing on the perimeter (Little, Releford, CJ, and Tyshawn who can play bigger than his 6'3"). Assuming one of them (TT or CJ?) can become a true point, we'd be able to give most teams fits with our size/skill combination, especially with three athletic bigs in the 6'8 to 6'9" range and a 7 footer in Withey. As much as I love Sherron, at 5'11", he seemed to be a target for traps by the opposing D and for bigger offensive opponents.

Clarence Haynes 4 years, 9 months ago

KEITHMILES05 (anonymous) says…Off the court word is he's not the nicest person.

That sounds as bad as 2 ole ladies gossiping over a backyard fence!

jchawkfan 4 years, 9 months ago

Thank you for 3 great years Cole. You were a favorite in my household. I will miss watching you reject everthing in site, and that hard over the head outlet pass. And yes I will even miss watching you chew on your mouth piece. Good Luck my man.

Kye Clark 4 years, 9 months ago

jhokfan - well if you want to use our horrible free throw shooting in the title game of '03 as the reason Syracuse won, I can just as easily say that Kentucky's free throw shooting a couple of days ago is what kept them from a Final Four, and probably a title. Also, Rush stayed his junior year because of an injury, but he came back for his sophomore season on his own, therefore it was not the injury that kept him from being a one-and-done.

Hawktacular - not sure why it's apples to oranges. Why? Because every kid ranked #4 or higher their Senior year of high school is a "can't miss"? Because it has never happened that a player ranked #8 has been better than the player ranked #4? Go back and look through some of the last few years. It's not apples to oranges, it's comparing a player's ranking, and I can name quite a few examples of players with lower rankings having better seasons, collegiate careers, and pro careers than players that were ranked 4-9 spots ahead of them by rivals.com, including players in the top 10. So please, by all means, explain to me why it's apples to oranges...bra.

resultsinMarch 4 years, 9 months ago

Bad choice--He got ate up by a mid-major center big time! If one takes the time and look at the NBA grading, it is pretty clear that his offense, his quickness etc.. needs big work.

He is slow, the NBA game will be to much at this point. He needs to get much stronger, quicker, and have better results on the offense-scoring that is.

I wish he would come back and strengthen those weak areas and help the Hawks reach the better results in March.

If not, best of luck and thanks for what u have done at KU!

Go Hawks!!

Tony Bandle 4 years, 9 months ago

1] HCBS encouraged Cole to go pro because the future lock out is much more real than people realize, Cole can take the money and help his family, he's got a ring, he's an academic All-American and a third team basketball A-A.

2] Xavier is going because he is built for the NBA, has an incredible upside, is left-handed and going pro is what Carl wants. CJ will give it one more year to prove himself then I feel he will be gone as well.

3] The 2010-2011 roster is fairly set..it's the 2011-2012 roster that's going to be interesting. Along with CJ, Brady, Tyrel, Mario and probably Marcus and, with another year's improvement like this year, maybe even Markieff, will all be gone. Add Josh Selby if we get him and he proves out to be a true OAD!!

That's why HCBS has been hitting this years Junior class so hard...he sees the hand writing on the wall and knows he's going to have a fistful of schollies availabe after next season.

Joel Hood 4 years, 9 months ago

"halogenlamps (anonymous) says… He SOOO needs one more year of college."

For what???????????????

Selfishly, I want him to stay too. But he has potentially $$millions$$ to lose by not going this year. He will not go any higher in the draft next year - in fact, he would likely go lower in the draft because he will be triple teamed every time he touches the ball. Then, everyone would say he had a disappointing season.

Worse yet - he gets injured and really loses out on being a top 10 pick. And guess what, 30 some games in college next year would beat him up a lot more than the 72 games he will see in the NBA. This doesn't even consider the potential changes coming with the NBA players collective bargaining agreement in 2011 that could hurt his earning potential.

So, going pro early probably extends his professional career. IMO, the last thing he needs right now is one more year of college.

BrockIII 4 years, 9 months ago

icthawkfan316,

You make some very good observations regarding not all highly rated players being capable of jumping to the NBA after one season. The guys you noted - Budinger, Singler, Henson, Samuels, and the 2005 KU class (sans Rush) - either did not display the basketball aptitude in high school to be a "one-and-done" and/or did they have the mindset or the hype that typically follows in their transition to college. Most high level recruits obviously have "going league" high on their mind, but there is always a sense of who has a legitimate case and are basically slotted for an early exit - Wall, Cousins, Henry, Favors to name a few from this last class.

You're right that it doesn't always play out the way these kids expect - see Arthur and Rush. We also see it the other way around with recruits that entered their frosh season without concrete NBA priorities, in addition to their first season of play being mediocre at best...and still putting their name in the draft - see potentially Avery Bradley, Jordan Hamilton, Eric Bledsoe, Tommy Mason-Griffin.

Selby is a player with serious star power who finds himself in the elite tier of the 2010 class. He has power, grace, and flash and is a fairly well-polished ball player for an 18 year old with an NBA-type game. He carries the "one-and-done" label, but you're right, that can change when you arrive on campus and the reality sets in that high school and AAU ball has not prepared you to run a complex college offense or play tough man-to-man defense. We've reached the stage of college basketball where we almost have to expect the high level guys to stay for only a year or two max, but it just depends on how the situation plays out in the end.

The Selby recruiting war is pretty interesting and there seems to be a new peice of information tossed into the mix every week that suggests he's leaning one way or another. Most analysts close to the situation say KU has a substantial lead and should feel good where they lie in getting a committment, but it's not set in stone yet. There have been some rumors lately about Tennessee making a late surge and it appears it's truly between KU and Tenn at this point. Bill Self is a good salesman and a great closer, so we should be confident he can close the deal.

Hank Cross 4 years, 9 months ago

He'll be missed,but it was right move to leave. He wasn't going to go any higher in the draft and would only be risking injury. Plus, with Sherron leaving it was going to be the end of an era anyway. I don't see him starring in the NBA, but he can be a valuable contributer for many years and won't have any money problems.

X will probably go too, When Self said, ""Of course, we'd love for him to come back, but I don't believe it's my place to try to convince him to come back. I am not going to do that at all," X probably heard "Bye-bye."

100 4 years, 9 months ago

Best of luck next year Cole!

We hope to see you in the crowd next year.

docileboy 4 years, 9 months ago

Well I hope Robinson and Withey improve as much over the summer as the Morris twins did last summer. If not it might be a long season.

Kye Clark 4 years, 9 months ago

oakville - agree with your first two points. The third point I'm a little fuzzy on. I'm wondering how the inevitable lockout will affect players' decisions to enter the draft next year. Maybe some players will look at the situation, look at the possibility of not playing the first half of the season (or more?), and decide to come back another year. Let the League get their houses in order and come out the following year. I'm not an expert on all of the financial implications of the lockout, but I do know that the players don't get paid during the lockout! If I had to guess, I'd say the one-and-dones still make the jump, but the collegiate juniors - like the Twins next year - might come back and finish up their degrees (assuming they're close to finishing anyway).

gchawk 4 years, 9 months ago

Gardenjay: I didn't make myself very clear. I was responding to an earlier post that stated that Cole wasn't that nice and I was stating that that was a false statement. Cole is a terrific person, I find it hard that he could have given anyone the impression that he wasn't friendly.

Kye Clark 4 years, 9 months ago

oakville - just for clarification, it was the inclusion of the Twins in the list of players potentially leaving after next year that made the 3rd point a bit fuzzy. Otherwise I agree, we will be losing a lot!

Krohnutz 4 years, 9 months ago

Who in the hell would rate Henry as the 8th best player in the draft? Did they watch him?

And those boards always forget about the overseas talent. They mix in one or two of the very best, but then come draft day there are a handful of others mixed in the first round. So to sum it up, I don't buy a damn thing they say. These are the same guys that said Same Bowie was a top three prospect, that Darko was gonna revolutionize the NBA big man, seriously, they have it on video...

Jim Pendleton 4 years, 9 months ago

The only thing I am worried about for next year is who do we have that can put a hitch in his free throw shooting to draw Curtis Kelly into the free throw lane five or six times a game? Cracks me up that after watching Cole do that the past couple years on every free throw, he still jumps in the lane early. Unbelievable!

I am always a little selfish in wanting everyone to stay all four years, but I am also a realist in understanding that players like Cole have done about all they can do, and should take that next step when their lottery projection is that high.

The fact that Cole only needs about 10-12 hours to graduate plays a factor also. Might have mildly considered coming back if he needed say a whole year's worth of hours to get his degree. He should be able to finish this in short order.

Congrats on a great three years Cole. You have been fun to watch, and best of luck in the NBA. As always, Rock Chalk!!

Mark Wooden 4 years, 9 months ago

Get the big money Cole cause until you can move to the left, you will be sitting the NBA bench. Good Luck and pray to God you get drafted into the right situation and the right money cause the NBA is about the contract and not the talent.

Ron Prichard 4 years, 9 months ago

JayhawkRock--I don't think I would read too much into Self's comments. I think Self was just telling Cole to do what he thought should be done. He can't really improve his draft status that much by staying another year. Honestly, he probably should have left after last year. As much as everyone on here wants to say his family's economic situation shouldn't be a consideration, that's bs and we all know it. If your family is struggling and you can take care of it by playing the game you love on the next level, there really isn't a question.

For those that say Cole should stay to improve his game, think about what you are really saying. He should stay so he is more competitive his first year in the NBA? How is he going to develop his skills more next year in college than he will in the NBA? Maybe he gets more game time next year in college than the NBA, but his development as a player will continue just as much next year in the NBA as it would in college. Besides not improving his draft status much by staying one more year (he can only get a few spots higher, IF he has a fantastic year), he's risking injury playing another year in college. The only argument for him improving his game before entering the NBA is for his second contract. His first contract will be three years, so his performance in the NBA rather than one more year of college will have much more of an impact on that. Selfishly, yes, I would love to see him back. But realistically, he made the best choice for him, and that really can't be argued.

Hawktacular--You heard it here first...you have no idea what you are talking about. Anybody that paid much attention to KU basketball this past year knew Cole was as good as gone. Heck, if you only watched senior night and saw his emotion and heard Self's comments you knew he was gone. As for your Coach Self comment, I'm pretty satisfied with the caliber of players we get. I would much rather Self get the #5 or #8 or #12 player in the class than the #2 player and do it the way Calipari does it. He's only taken down two programs so far. I'm sure the third is not far off. Goodbye Wall, goodbye Cousins, welcome back to mediocrity, Kensucky.

Martin Rosenblum 4 years, 9 months ago

Cole said that Tyrel's sister, Lacie, does Tyrel's laundry.

She can do mine anytime!

hawksince51 4 years, 9 months ago

Cole is gone as he should be. He gave us 3 years and now it is time to make the big bucks. There have been too many recent cases of players being punished in the draft by staying a 4th year. Cole said it is "final" and he will hire an agent soon which makes it irreversible.
Someone said X was projected as the 8th choice. If that is the case, then he will go for sure. While I am not arguing the fact, I find it very surprising since he was rated as the 23rd shooting guard by Rivals. Of course I have often been surprised by the NBA draft. I think the owner to be of the Nets fits right into a crowd that loves to throw money at underclassmen who have not shown all that much in college. And the Russian has at least $17 billion to throw around. So go for it, Cole and X and help the U.S. balance of payments.

Kye Clark 4 years, 9 months ago

hawksince51 - I've seen X projected anywhere from 7th to 16th.

okiedave 4 years, 9 months ago

Cole was a dominating center for us all year. Good luck in the draft and wish you the very best. Thank you for choosing to play your college career at Kansas.

GiovanniMerda 4 years, 9 months ago

I wish you luck. If you play like you played this year you really are going to need it.

Jack Wilson 4 years, 9 months ago

Draft express .. Cole #6, X #14, and Sherron in round #2. Seems that X might drop a bit from there.

yovoy 4 years, 9 months ago

where was this support when ju left, or anyone else for that matter? why's it so different when aldrich leaves?

i hope he does well at the next level. i'm nor sure whether he will or not, but he'll have some handsome paychecks, so good for him.

Kye Clark 4 years, 9 months ago

p>Insidehoops.com (updated 3/24) - X #9, Cole #10 nba-draft.com (updated 3/22) - Cole #5, X #10 collegehoopsupdate.com (updated 3/28) - Cole #6, X #12 mynbadraft.com (updated 3/25) - Cole #7, X #14 hoopsworld.com (updated 3/27) - Cole #7, X #14 nbadraft.net (updated 3/24) - X #10, Cole #14

if you go to thehoopsdoctors.com they have a mock draft database, with links to dozens of websites with mock drafts, including the one listed above by highelitemajor

hawksince51 4 years, 9 months ago

High Elite Major--Thanks for the draft express link. Damion James is probably another one of those seniors who stayed too long and would have been a higher choice last year. Couldn't help but notice that a number 1 seed who isn't going to Indy either has 3 projected in the top 10. How much talent will it take for Coach Cal to win an NC? He's no Izzo, izee?

dynamitehawk 4 years, 9 months ago

Good luck man. Have a blast. Don't waste your money. Raef made 80 million in the L, and you can too. You are a great kid, and I am proud to have had the chance to cheer for you.

FreddyinLA 4 years, 9 months ago

Good luck Cole. Great, great kid. Glad he's on our team. Great presence under the basket. The best big man KU has had in many years for getting a rebound and throwing an outlet pass. Only problem in our walk it up style this year he only got to do that about 3 times. Sit down with Pollard and Ostertag and find out how they did it for so long in the Association.

jayhawker_97 4 years, 9 months ago

time to move on to the next chapter, Cole. thanks for all the great memories.. it's sad to see you go, but hey, don't listen to us.. we're just a bunch of whiners and complainers.. do whatever makes you happier!! good luck and God bless you all the way!!

rock chalk!

utahjayhawk 4 years, 9 months ago

Well said, dynamite. Cole has been a great ambassador for our university. Best of everything for you Cole.

DSommersby 4 years, 9 months ago

Cole, You always represented KU with true class. You have been an excellent ambassador, and student athlete while wearing the crimson and blue. You will always be a Jayhawk...now go have fun in the NBA and kick some a$$! Wishing you to have a long and prosperous career. Will be cheering for you!

We love you! Rock Chalk!

leenyong 4 years, 9 months ago

Best of luck, Cole. Look forward to seeing you play in the NBA.

Mike Kendall 4 years, 9 months ago

Cole--- thanks for the memories! You are a good man. Take care of your tooth and your family. Come back and visit Lawrence whenever you can.

My best memory of Cole is when he schooled Hansboro VS Carolina. And that was the game that we really said good bye to Roy Williams!!!!!

Take care, Cole, and, best of luck! Rock Chalk forever!

FairgroveJayhawk 4 years, 9 months ago

Damn. Now who's going to block all those shots?

SoCalAlum 4 years, 9 months ago

Thanks for three great years, Cole...too bad you didn't get a second NC but you got one and earned it in your coming-out party courtesy of UNC. Add a sky-hook to the repertoire and I think he'll have a better than average pro career. Thanks also to the Aldrich family for supporting Cole when he decided to stay this past year - financially, I'm guessing it was tough.

As other posters mentioned, time for Withey to step up and Robinson to finally not be a freshman.

gardenjay 4 years, 9 months ago

gchawk; Mr. Aldrich seems like a nice man to me as well.

Ohioburg; so, is KU a trade school? Because, I thought you went to college to get a degree. I mean, since everyone has a right to attend college and break it off whenever, we should celebrate that fact like in this article?

The only reason the college basketball trade exists is because of the 4-year college 'Jayhawks'. So....why NOT require athletic ambassadors who are educated with a college degree? What better message to send to this next generation, which is less educated than the previous generation? Maybe they are Gen-scary.

Now, I understand that college athletes are being used by their university to raise money and that it can be a very uneven and often very unfair financial situation. Forcing college athletes to attend for four years would sometimes exacerbate this problem. But that is just a problem to resolve, but not by allowing the degree program model to be blown apart by exceptional athletes who draw focus onto the choice 'money or degree'.

Way to glamorize not getting a higher education.

cobweb 4 years, 9 months ago

As a pro GM, picking Aldrich should be a no-brainer. Cole will be a solid player for years and be a great citizen and ambassador instead of a problem child. No drugs, guns or paternity suits with this guy.

PPhhoogg 4 years, 9 months ago

Good Luck Cole in what ever you decide to do!!! RCJH!!!

Kye Clark 4 years, 9 months ago

soobawls - you are such a tool. as usual, you come on here spewing your negativity and ridiculous opinions. I doubt you are even a KU fan, and if you ever were.

Ron Prichard 4 years, 9 months ago

icthawkfan - I couldn't have said it better.

soobawls - so are all those top recruits that are turning away in droves also turning away from UNC? Roy lost that team halfway through the year. They were unmotivated and uninspired. For a school like UNC to be excited about the NIT says everything you need to say about their season. Horrendous!

Kensucky--choked down the stretch. Syracuse--lost early.
Florida--were we even in the tourney--oh, yeah, but just for a second. Texas--worst coaching job ever! UConn--were we even in the tourney--yes, the NIT!
UCLA--huh? Who?

Help me here, becuase I am running out of places for all the top recruits to go. You may not have liked Self's game strategy against UNI, but he manages kids--and a team--better than just about any coach out there. Go root for someone else, please. You sure as hell don't root for KU.

Joel Hood 4 years, 9 months ago

icthawkfan316 - soobawls is not a tool, he is a troll. He is only after your outrage - he is not actually trying to express a true opinion. At least KY_Cats is a legit fan...

Brak 4 years, 9 months ago

gardenjay - I'm not saying your idea doesn't have merit, but it doesn't. First of all if only players with college degrees were allowed to enter the draft, it would kill the NBA. Do you honestly think guys like Lebron and Kobe would have made it for 4 years in college. Considering most of the these guys will be making more than 99% of all college graduates, which ultimately is the goal of college to provide students a chance at a more skilled higher paying job. Some kids are just not college material and the fact that they require them go a year is a joke, OAD is bad for the game.

Sally Presson 4 years, 9 months ago

Good luck Cole, we love you, but must set you free. You've given us your all and now it's time for you to move to another level. I hope you go really high in the draft, I can't imagine you won't. Come back and see us!!

justinryman 4 years, 9 months ago

Cole, Godspeed!

May your future bring you greatness and longevity.

Thank you for your time at KU and all the memories.

Rock Chalk

eway12 4 years, 9 months ago

raprichard, I couldn't have said it better myself, except for adding Arizona's tremendously successful season. I guess every top recruit is headed for Butler or Izzoball?

jchief40 4 years, 9 months ago

Doron Lamb has eliminated Arizona today!!! That means probably either UK or KU. Selby was quoted as saying the other day that there's a 50/50 chance him and Lamb pick the same school and play together. Maybe Lamb and Selby come to KU. Or maybe they go to UK. Never know!

jhokfan 4 years, 9 months ago

ralster:

I'm assuming your comment was removed in response to something soobawls said. Could you post again with a PG version?

soobawls:

For what it's worth I think your a legit KU fan. On this site we have some glass is half full and glass is half empty people but you are the glass has a crack, it's dirty and the water is contaminated type of person. If you're wrong and we don't see several transfers leave the program will you leave the LJW? Your comments really depress me.

jchief40 4 years, 9 months ago

soobawls if I were dictator I'd throw you in a concentration camp.

KURocksChalk 4 years, 9 months ago

Good luck, Cole. Great watching you. Go and make us proud. Despite everything your dad says (all dads say that), he needs your help.

As far as Soobawls' comment, the tournament says little about how good a team really is. Instead of having 64 teams it should probably be double elimination. 1.6% chance that any one of 64 teams will go all the way. Sixty-three teams will go home feeling like KU did. Go figure that a team KU beat three times still barely missed the Final Four. There will never be a dominant team like UCLA again. Any small school can have a competitive basketball team. But, KU has tremendous heritage, gets lots of televised games and great exposure. I doubt that recruits overlook that. If they go to a game in Lawrence, the deal is done, unless of course there are thousands of your clones there.

jhokfan 4 years, 9 months ago

I think 64 is watered down enough and if they go to 96 it really makes a mockery of college basketball. Maybe we can get the NFL to follow suit and find a way for the Chiefs to get in the playoffs. I think a double elimination tournament with fewer teams would be very exciting and would increase the likelyhood of the best teams in the final four. Isn't that what we really want?

College football has a 2 team playoff and basketball has a 65 team playoff. Both need to be revised.

gardenjay 4 years, 9 months ago

Brak - 4 years of college does not mean they actually get a degree, but they can if they try. I know that Cole WOULD have gotten his degree in that situation, and he WOULD have walked down the hill in one of the proudest moments of his life.

NBA and money does not equal a really good life. It makes them more vulnerable actually. College has so many benefits that go beyond money, as I am sure you know. Besides, more educated people are heavily needed in society today, and we need to set examples for this need - what better demographic than our star athletes.

It may be that some pro athletes could have gotten degrees, and that may have been more important to them than their NBA careers. You know, athletic accomplishments come naturally to the gifted, but it's what they work to overcome that can be most meaningful in life.

Who cares if everyone things college is just about money. They force students to take Western Civ., and who uses that one? There is a lot of education just for the heck of it going on without the almighty dollar commanding it. I think that is just great, since society needs broadly educated citizens.

The only drawback I see is how these athletic departments take huge advantage of athletes already, really like using slave labor. So that sucks, and needs to be addressed too before requiring a 4-year commitment rule.

gardenjay 4 years, 9 months ago

Who cares if everyone thinks college is just about money. They force students to take Western Civ., and who uses that one? There is a lot of education just for the heck of it going on without the almighty dollar commanding it. I think that is just great, since society needs broadly educated citizens.

gardenjay 4 years, 9 months ago

gammimc 4 years, 9 months ago

Good luck, he's gonna need it. Too slow, and too clunky, he's really gonna have to step it up in the speed department to compete in the NBA. But in reality, I'm not sure that another year would have done any good anyway. I wish him well.

Let X go too. It would do him good to have his next coach tell him how the hog ate the cabbage. He's been catered to way too much and for too long, IMHO. When he was threatening to pull out of his commitment, his scholarship should have been bye-bye. I feel as though KU's "can't live without him" handling of things was detrimental to the rest of the team and the chemistry. Ours is a national scale program, not a house of beggars.

If we're gonna reload next year, then let's bite the bullet, take our lumps, and get some team players in there. The results may surprise all of us, on down the road.

Martin Rosenblum 4 years, 9 months ago

Great memory of Cole...

Not sure if many people saw this. It's a "keeper" for sure!

Martin Rosenblum 4 years, 9 months ago

Technical difficulties with that link.

Go to YouTube and search for - Cole Aldrich half court shots.

gardenjay 4 years, 9 months ago

jchief40 and others - sorry about the multiple posts.

gardenjay 4 years, 9 months ago

Just how many of these 'get a degree anytime' stars are there? It is a lot easier to complete your fourth year of college right after your third year.

But going with that example, if star athletes are going to be societies ambassadors to things, like education, then they could be required to go back to their alma mater after their NBA career and try to finish their degree to fulfill their 4-year contract with the university. They wouldn't have to get the degree; they wouldn't have to play basketball, but could if they wanted to since they retain eligibility under this idea.

Taking the position that money should rule decisions, and you take away National Parks and many other beautiful things. Higher education is pretty important; for a lot of people it isn't just about the money.