Sunday, March 28, 2010

Self, who picked ’Cats, keeps busy in CBS studio

Kansas head coach Bill Self speakers with media members outside the locker room following the Jayhawks' 69-67 loss to Northern Iowa, Saturday, March 20, 2010 at the Ford Center in Oklahoma City.

Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self and fellow CBS-TV panelists Greg Anthony and Seth Davis each went for the favorite when asked by studio host Greg Gumbel for a prediction before Saturday’s West Regional final between Butler and Kansas State.

“Kansas State,” Self said from behind the desk in the network’s New York headquarters.

The trio’s picks, jokingly referred to as boring by Gumbel, proved incorrect.

Butler bounced K-State, 63-56, and prevented the Wildcats from advancing to their first Final Four in 46 years.

“One thing coach (Brad) Stevens and his staff did,” Self said after the game, “is they really rallied their guys when K-State took the lead (52-51 with 4:49 left after erasing double-digit deficit) and got the momentum.

“Just like when Syracuse went up by four (late in Sweet 16 game vs. Butler), that’s when Butler played its best ball and just put them away down the stretch. In this particular game, they made the plays late.”

Of Kentucky’s 73-66 loss to West Virginia in the East Regional final, Self said: “Well, they didn’t make shots. West Virginia forced them to play on the perimeter, and it just didn’t work out today.”

Self had a busy day in the studio.

He had this to say to Baylor coach Scott Drew and guard LaceDarius Dunn, who will face Duke in the South Regional final today:

“Congratulations to you from our league,” Self said. “About Duke, though, your zone is so effective, you’ve got so much length, but they’ve got three guys who can really score from the perimeter. How are you going to get out to all their shooters?”

Drew responded: “They’re going to get shots. We just have to make sure they are contested. They are going to make shots. We just don’t want to give them wide-open ones because they are too good. We know those are going in.”

Self also spoke with Tennessee coach Bruce Pearl, whose Volunteers meet Michigan State in the Midwest Regional final today.

“You put it on us very good,” Self said of KU’s 76-68 loss to the Vols on Jan. 10 in Knoxville, Tenn. “One thing I’ve been very impressed with is getting your full complement of players back, but also Brian Williams (6-10, junior). I think he takes a lot of pressure off Wayne (Chism) so you can move him (Chism) around a bit and play him inside/outside. I think he (Williams) has been a presence on the interior for you.”

Pearl responded: “I think Wayne probably enjoys playing with Brian as much as anybody else because Brian is an excellent passer. He has excellent basketball IQ, and I think they play well off each other.”

Banquet

KU’s basketball banquet will be Monday, April 12, in the Holidome. The banquet is available to Williams Fund members. Reservation forms are sent out in the mail.

Comments

Edward Daub 11 years, 8 months ago

Lets Go! Mountaineers!

Yes, Bill, making shots is important in most games.

dynamitehawk 11 years, 8 months ago

KY - come on baby. Where are you, girl? At the doctor having the 'your 2010 NCAA champions' tattoo removed?

Jeff Schartz 11 years, 8 months ago

I loved seeing John Wall and Kentucky go down. That victory by WVU put me at the top of my office pool bracket!

ccarp 11 years, 8 months ago

It was pretty funny to see KY choke after their fans gloated all week. Just curious are tickets for the banquet on sale at stubhub? :-)

bradynsdad 11 years, 8 months ago

even though my bracket is over i am thrilled to not have kentucky in the final four.

kranny 11 years, 8 months ago

Come on Baylor, beat the $h!t out of the Pukies!

WilburNether 11 years, 8 months ago

What a bad day for Wildcats.

And I loved every minute of it.

KEITHMILES05 11 years, 8 months ago

Banquet: Tickets are available only through WEF.

rawkhawk 11 years, 8 months ago

Kentucky losing helps ease the pain for this KU fan. Now if Duke could only also go down... Go Baylor!

tstanlick1909 11 years, 8 months ago

I really wanted to play Kentucky though, it's a matchup I would really like to see.

Go Baylor!

jhokfan 11 years, 8 months ago

Seeing Syracuse and Kentucky lose this weekend helps reconcile our loss to NI. Along with Kansas this was supposed to be a 3 team tournament and not one of them made it to the final four. IMO too much blame is given to coaches. Bill Self played his hand all season long and went 32-2 and then played the same hand in the tournament and lost. In a best of 7 series that same hand would have prevailed. Winning 6 game 7's is very hard to do, especially with amateurs.

Brad Miller 11 years, 8 months ago

I can't help but echo some comments here, I loathed Kentucky long before Caliparrot showed up, and I despise him on a level few other coaches reach, however Kryzooski is one of those. So, Baylor will defeat duke and hopefully go on to crush W.Va and finally smoke Michigan St. Not quite how my bracket has it but hey, got lots of company. Go Baylor!

jhawkazmars 11 years, 8 months ago

Does anyone think Roy Williams will be on CBS today cheering for Duke?

jaybate 11 years, 8 months ago

"Some Ways You Might Infer WVU Beat Contucky in the 2010 NCAA XTreme Basketball Tournament:"

John Calipari overheard practicing his New Jersey accent by saying: "The boids choip in the poik in Joisey."

Bob Huggins found celebrating at the Occult Bar and Grill in Morgantown, West Virginia, wearing horns, black cape and red irises, while shouting, "I can beat Kentucky 666 times...I can beat Kentucky 666 times..."

Angry Contucky alumni abduct John Calipari and try to breed him with various farm animals.

Hollywood horror meisters ask Bob Huggins to star in a series of basketball biopics about his life including: "Rosemary's Basketball Team," "The Thugsorsist," "The West Virginia Chainsaw Basketball Massacre," "Morgantown's Lot," "Village of the Mugged," "The Blair Basketball Project," "Silence of the Wildcats," "Interview with the Vampire Coach," "Dawn of the Mugged," and "Nightmare in Indianapolis."

UCon officials sign with a PR firm specializing in spinning forfeitted seasons.

WVU officials sign with a law firm specializing in plea bargaining basketball manslaughter cases.

Bitter UCon deputy AD overheard saying, we don't rebuild, we recheat.

Unrelenting UCinn President Nancy L. Zimpher, who reputedly forced Bob Huggins out of UCinn, announces she will now co-write a book with Anne Rice entitled "The Basketball Coach Lestat."

jaybate 11 years, 8 months ago

World Wide Wes found stuffed head first into the business end of a Kentucky thoroughbred.

Don Knotts jersey finally hung posthumously in rafters of WVU arena.

Ashley Judd goes under the knife again; this time to get rid of her recent John Calipari nose.

An unnamed West Virginia Senator is over heard saying Bob Huggins could be a poster boy for The New World Order, "...when we finally admit Beezelbubb is our leader."

Confederate flags all over Contucky start flying at half mast and upside down, though no one can tell the latter.

Reports of beastiality in the state of Contucky doubled after the game.

Reports of incest in the state of West Virginia doubled after the game.

Demarcus Cousins, when asked about Contucky's failure to properly execute the Princeton on Steroids offense, answered, "We got the part about the roids, but we never quite got what a Princeton was."

WVU grad and legend Jerry West, found scouting the game with a paper bag on his head, and asked by Leslie Visser after the WVU win, if this were the best WVU team he had ever seen, said, "It is certainly the best team ever prophesied in the Slavonic Book of Enoch, but beyond that I would not care to comment, Leslie."

Preparing for Calipari's possible departure, reputed Contucky shadow AD Cliff "Near Death Penalty" Hagan entered into unofficial and unsanctioned negotiations with the latest hot, hot, hot coaching prospect--University of South Carolina-Sheol's Baal Davar.

Celebrating WVU announced it would rename the hardwood in its home arena "Lucifer Court," to which Bob Huggins winked and replied, "Its about time I got a court named after me."

(Note: All fiction, no fact, and no malice in this two-part post; just some yucks as the NCAA XTreme Basketball Tournament continues.)

SelfRealist 11 years, 8 months ago

I guess this is one way for Bill to finally get to a Final Four again.

Mike Kendall 11 years, 8 months ago

In studio, Self did a nice job. Always classy. Thanks coach Self, for representing KU in a class way!

Seeing Kentucky go down in flames did make my day! Kind of reminds me of that line from Clint Eastwood's movie, "Dirty Harry." "Well, do you feel lucky? Well, do ya----punk?!" In Kentucky's case, they were not so lucky, unlike Michigan State. It will be a bummer that Jayhawk Nation will not be hearing from the Kentucky posters, like "Wildcatfan1" and "Big Blue!" What a bummer!

Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

Dan Harris 11 years, 8 months ago

Kentucky losing doesn't take the sting out of KU losing but it sure the hell beats the alternative to them winning and having craptucky fans rubbing salt in an open wound! GO BAYLOR!

Kye Clark 11 years, 8 months ago

SelfRealist - "finally"? You do know he is two years removed from a National Championship right?

Dan Harris 11 years, 8 months ago

It was painful watching Mich St win today knowing that "should" have been The Hawks!

jaybate 11 years, 8 months ago

ict,

I am with you about SelfRealist's rather selective memory.

But all seriousness aside, I am beginning to believe the FEMA shadow government really is putting a mind control drug in the water to shorten Americans' memories. I never thought I would live to hear KU fans complain about a terrific coach, as if he had not won a ring 2years ago.

It is chilling...as chilling as a January snow in March.

It's as if a scifi movie were set in Contucky a few years back, after UCon fans began clamoring for Tubby Smith's head on the heels of his ring.

I always attributed Tubby's problems to skin pigment in a border state.

But..."What's the matter with Kansas?"

Is Self not sufficiently fundamentalist?

Has someone played the R card (religion)?

This is truly astonishing.

I suppose it is also possible the Pentagon is running a test of mass "crowd control" technology with microwaves beamed out of HAARP in Gakona.

Or someone sinister could be after SelfRealist's bodily fluids.

Or...

"We'll meet again/ Don't know how/ Don't know when..."

Of course, the above is from a little seen film from a small Kansas film production company called Lost Recall Productions. The movie is: "Dr. Strangecoach or How I Learned to Stop Remembering Rings and Love Mind Control." The plot hinges on people forgetting what they have forgotten, not just forgetting.

(Note: outside of agreeing with ict about SelfRealist seeming to under-recall the significance of Self winning a ring two season s, the rest is fiction sans malice.)

BCRavenJHawkfan 11 years, 8 months ago

Duke must fall. I can't stand K. Singler. The dude looks like Edgar Winter's son.

With Kentucky, isn't it interesting when the going got tough in that game their "Star Boyz" chose not to drive and opted to launch threes, knowing it was their weakness all year long.

Last night ESPN2 had some of the post game press conference. Cousins, what an empty vessel. And Wall talked about finishing out his college career. Uh, Johnny, it's over dude.

BCRavenJHawkfan 11 years, 8 months ago

jaybate (anonymous) says…

But..."What's the matter with Kansas?"

Can I assume you read the Thomas Frank book?

Mike Kendall 11 years, 8 months ago

BC--- "In the end I guess little Johnny Wall should have practiced some b-ball instead of that funky chicken dance of his."

No s__t!!!!!!!!!! Amen, brother!

BCRavenJHawkfan 11 years, 8 months ago

I knew somebody would appreciate that mikendal.

jaybate 11 years, 8 months ago

BCRavenJHawkfan,

And the William Allen White schtick that TFrank was riffing on.

BCRavenJHawkfan 11 years, 8 months ago

I got ya jaybate.

I've had the book for a while but just got around to reading it about four months ago.

jaybate 11 years, 8 months ago

I would say Baylor, a 3 seed, had a vastly easier path to this point, than KU, a 1 seed, would have had had KU not blown it.

How's that for mastering the freaking obvious.

And now for a little more obviousness mastery.

Duke has to suck, if they can't play Baylor any better than this.

In fact, Duke does suck.

They just have a really masterful coaching masking their weaknesses and milking limited talent for all its worth.

Baylor has more talent than Duke; that's for sure.

But neither team is very good.

This is heart rending to think that KU, the only team with all the pieces, cut itself out of one of the least talented fields of 65 teams in history.

AsadZ 11 years, 8 months ago

I am happy for Duke and Coach K to beat Baylor. I do not like Scott Drew, especially, after his tasteless behavior this year at AFH. At the same time I have gained respect for Coach K ever since he has become the coach of US mens basketball team. I feel that he has become a better coach and person from this experience.

Lone_salina_kufan 11 years, 8 months ago

We are forever going to look back at this tournament as a giant missed opportunity. Looking at the teams in the Final Four, you'd have to like KU against any of them. Man it sucks!!!

dynamitehawk 11 years, 8 months ago

AsadZ, I just puked in my mouth reading your post. The good thing is that I smoked a kick-ass brisket this afternoon, so it wasn't too bad. Ever since I saw Coach K on that commercial talking about how he sees himself as a great leader who happens to be a basketball coach.....more brisket...

BCRavenJHawkfan 11 years, 8 months ago

I looked back at where Michigan St. was seeded in the tournament for their last 6 Final Four appearances over 12 years (that's 50%). Year - Seed 1999 - #1 2000 - #1 2001 - #1 2005 - #5 2009 - #2 2010 - #5 And in the other 6 years out of the 12, they were never higher than a 5 seed but no worse than a 10. No matter your opinion of Izzo, that is pretty darn impressive.

jaybate 11 years, 8 months ago

BCRavenJHawkfan,

Yep, Ratso knows muscle ball, as his record from 199 to 2001 proves at the height of Muscle Ball Version 1.0.

Starting 2002 to about 2005, when they cleaned the game up briefly, he fell out of site, but for one decent year in 05.

But when the powers that be reinstituted Muscle Ball Version 2.0 and it began its inexorable ascent in 2007, or 2008, it only took him a couple of years to get back in the thick of it. Now, with Muscle Ball Version 2.0 possibly nearing its zenith, his teams have had two straight deep runs; this year even from a low seed.

In the age of Muscle, Ratso is King.

Martin Rosenblum 11 years, 8 months ago

It's interesting (to me at least) that so many of the "regulars" who post here didn't participate in the bracket challenge. Comments and opinions flow like bovine feces from from Coach Cal's mouth, but these loyal fans didn't want to be judged or make commitments to a tournament bracket for others to see. What does that say?

Any response guys?

SCHNBALL 11 years, 8 months ago

memhawk, i will give you who I had for my final four: Uk,cuse, baylor, and sparty. I was looking alright until UK and Syracuse this weekend. Had KU getting beat by Michigan State a round after they actually lost. Had to listen to Kentucky fans after KU lost, but it is silent now. No joy for me in watching another program lose. I still wonder to this day where Sherron was mentally? It is the one thing about this team I will never understand! I do think we will be a better "team" next year.

Theutus 11 years, 8 months ago

I specifically didn't fill out a bracket here because i knew i'd catch all the "you're not a real KU fan" crap for having KU losing in the third round.

In reality, it has nothing to do with whether i'm a fan or not. I just knew KU was playing to their opponents all year long, and eventually it was going to bite them in the ace.

Keith Conklin 11 years, 8 months ago

Order has been restored in the basketball world.

Mike Skiles 11 years, 8 months ago

Well, my bracket is on final 'life support' at this stage. My Final 4 picks were KU / KSU / Baylor / West Virginia. I did not think I would EVER root for Huggy Bear, but at this point its all that is left! I simply pray that at the least, WVU can shred the Dukies into a thousand pieces and leave them in the ditch where they belong. The mere thought of Coach K cutting down the nets, sickens me to no end.

I have not gotten over the dissappointment of NIU game - there really is no excuse for KU to not be in the Final 4 this year.

Rock Chalk GO KU ! - there is always next year to look forward to.

Martin Rosenblum 11 years, 8 months ago

Thanks to those who have made their picks known so far. Actually, my interest is not in the revealation of picks after the fact, rather why over 3000 people completed their brackets through this site and our "regulars", (and they know who they are) felt they didn't want to participate.

Plenty of folks didn't pick KU to go all the way. Stand by your convictions. Certainly through your comments along the way, no puches were held back. Or, wasn't it cool enough to play with the rest of us?

Kye Clark 11 years, 8 months ago

memhawk - sorry, I'm one of the regulars who didn't fill out a bracket on this site. Don't really have a good reason why not other than it didn't jump out at me where to go to do it and I wasn't looking. I was fairly busy in the days leading up to the tournament as well, and I can assure you it wasn't a case of not wanting to participate. My Final Four was KU, K-State, Baylor, & West Virginia, with KU beating West Virginia for the National Championship. Anyway, much like our beloved Jayhawks...can't wait til next year!

BCRavenJHawkfan 11 years, 8 months ago

memhawk:

I would not consider myself a regular in terms of putting up a bunch of posts. I am a regular of checking in on this site, reading through, enjoying the comments, learning a few things and trying to contribute to the conversation.

I can tell you why I didn't participate in the bracket challenge. I learned a long, long, time ago that my heart gets in the way of rational thinking. Now, I am not saying I didn't think KU was good enough this year. What I am saying, is that during years (and you have to go pretty far back for this) that KU was seeded at anything less than a 4 seed, I would put them in all the way to the championship game. During years Wichita State was in, I would have them at least to the Elite Eight.

So I ask you, is that kind of bracketology the result of sound logical thinking or just blind loyalty?

KANSTUCKY 11 years, 8 months ago

I already have a big screen TV. KU/UK/KSU/BAY. I can't bet against my Jayhawks. I really hate to see sparty and dook in Indy. The NCAA selection commitee got their wish with dook. No excuse though... you have to "bring it" every game in the tournament. It sure is quiet here in the commonwealth today. Anybody else see Self snicker after UK lost?

Ron Franklin 11 years, 8 months ago

Jaybate--

you predicted all of this. the entire ncaa tournament played out like your prediction....from your post few weeks back regarding "how it best suits" marketing.

unbelievable.

do you remember which bulletin that was on. i'd like to re-read it?

If it's going to become a muscle ball game, I'll quote the words of my great ancestor:

"Join or Die"

Muscle Ball it is.

Kye Clark 11 years, 8 months ago

Kanstucky - I took great satisfaction in Kentucky losing. Not because I relish in the misery of others, but because John Calipari is bad for college basketball, and I do not wish to see him rewarded for his crooked ways

KANSTUCKY 11 years, 8 months ago

ict - Maybe Lebron will take him out of his misery soon. He could have his own puppet.

KANSTUCKY 11 years, 8 months ago

Well, at least coach Cal won't have to worry about vacating another final four this year.

NotWiller 11 years, 8 months ago

I was in the stands when Kensucky lost. It was every bit as sweet at you imagine it was. There was a real chance of getting a solid beat down by grumpy Cats fans when leaving the Dome, b/c we kept chanting "Can't buy free throws!" (clap, clap, clapclapclap) and "Maybe it takes two years to teach 'em to make free throws!?" Also, the WVU chant of "Let's go...Mountaineers" just happens to have the same number of syllables as "Sit down....Ashley Judd!"

Joel Hood 11 years, 8 months ago

memhawk - not that I post regularly here...

I did not fill out a bracket because of all things - superstition. I didn't even fill one out on paper. I know it's ridiculous, but it felt too much like karma would step in. Ok - so that one didn't work out so well for me...

Also, anyone who chest thumps about the accuracy of their own bracket, is also ridiculous. If you gave a million monkeys a million years to complete your bracket, one of them will get it 100%. That doesn't make you a genious - you just happened to be right monkey at the right time.

jhokfan 11 years, 8 months ago

memhawk:

I stopped filling out brackets after the 07 season. Low and behold look what happened. Haven't filled one out since.

If I watch next week I will root for Michigan State. Would have liked to see Baylor get in but if the Spartans go down I will root for Duke.

jaybate 11 years, 8 months ago

BlownJay,

I correctly forecast that this would be the ne plus ultra butcher ball tourney of all time.

I was totally wrong about who would reach the Final Four. :-)

Don't want to fly under false colors.

I believe if you search under my posts you will find them.

Martin Rosenblum 11 years, 8 months ago

Two people who completed their brackets on the site now have 3 of the 4 teams still standing. In both cases, the 4th team that they had in the Final Four was KU. These two people should "chest thump" and loudly after picking Butler to be in the F4 over all of the other teams in their part of the bracket. Remember, the brackets were closed before the first game was played. Plenty of people who did their brackets had KU leaving before the F4. Nobody has passed judgement on them, through comments here that I recall.

jayhawkerjoel - the monkey thing was cute, except for the "genious" word choice. Maybe one of those monkeys could have come up with the correct spelling of the word for you!

AsadZ 11 years, 8 months ago

dynamite, I am sorry for you puking. Now, tell me why Coach K is not a good coach. he runs a great program for a very solid academic institution. he has refused lot more money from NBA to stay in college while coaching kids. He runs a clean program, I am not aware of any personnel or player scandals from Duke program, and he has gotten us a gold medal in the Olympics. You may dislike him for some reason and that's OK. But I have presented all facts for him to be a great coach that no can deny.

Martin Rosenblum 11 years, 8 months ago

ralster -

Not that I was soliciting excuses, but, you're exempted from any guilt in my book for not doing the brackets. I'm surprised you have time to spend on this site at all! Either you are racking up some hellacious OT or you really need to talk to your boss, man. I remember you saying that you visited Memphis with your daughter a while back. Must have been a rare time to spend with her with your work schedule. Slow down dude!

Seriously, looking forward to next season reading your's and everybody's comments.

jhokfan 11 years, 8 months ago

I used to root for UNC to beat Duke. After Deans shameful lapse of loyalty to his alma mater I now root for Duke to beat UNC. Duke is a lot like KU. They are a solid program and a team that has paid their dues year end and year out and we both have the same number of titles. We’ve had some tough games with them but we beat them in the final four en route to a national title in 88 and beat them again in 03. I don’t think we have any reason to hold a grudge against them based on our record against one another. Even if their road to the final four was partially paved for them I will root for them if Michigan State falters. I’m not in love with the team but I respect them and I don’t dislike them. Besides, if Duke cuts down the nets it will piss off UNC and that I will like.

KANSTUCKY 11 years, 8 months ago

I have never ever seen anybody whine and cry on the sideline like coach "K". He has gotten better the last few years but apparently he has moved his tactics to the selection committee.