Saturday, March 27, 2010

Keegan

It’s time to back the ’Cats

Kansas State head basketball coach Frank Martin yells at forward Curtis Kelly (24) during the first half of an NCAA second-round college basketball game against BYU, Saturday, March 20, 2010, in Oklahoma City.

The beauty of sports is that you and only you decide which teams to root for when watching a game. Even so, it comes as a surprise that some television sets in Lawrence seem to be turned on for the sole purpose of rooting against Kansas State.

The lamest of excuses for such behavior: Kansas State fans rooted against Kansas in Oklahoma City in its surprising loss to Northern Iowa. So? Since when do Kansas fans take their lead on how to behave from people who wear purple and plaster their cars with Powercat logos?

Talk about an easy bandwagon to join. Such a lovable team, such a candid coach, such an exciting backcourt. Plus, the Wildcats have played in the two most exciting games of the 2009-2010 college basketball season. In the first, played in Manhattan, the ’Cats lost to Kansas, 81-79, when Sherron Collins bounced back from back spasms to lead KU to its first of three victories against its in-state rival. In two of those three games, Kansas State proved itself an ultra-intense, hard-working pack that did everything it could to stick with Kansas.

The overtime game in Manhattan, attractively flawed with mistakes made on both sides, seemed like a yawner compared to K-State’s double-overtime survival Thursday night against a Xavier team that kept expanding its range and couldn’t miss.

K-State senior guard Denis Clemente was so jacked afterward he said at Friday’s presser he couldn’t get to sleep until 3 a.m. and even then only for a bit.

“I (kept) waking up,” Clemente said. “Just can’t believe where we’re at right now. I opened my eyes, say, ‘That’s for real, what I’m doing right now.’ And I kept waking every 15 minutes, just relive the moment.”

Clemente, from Puerto Rico, communicates with coach Frank Martin, the son of Cuban immigrants, in Spanish. Martin’s eyes speak the universal language, one more profane than anything that ever has come out of his mouth. The glare works. So does the acidic tongue, self-censored during the portion of Martin’s halftime talk Thursday that was filmed. It was hilarious watching Martin shout in measured tones, an approach he needed to take so as not to get CBS fined by the FCC.

Clemente and Pullen have given the glare a rest. They’ve combined to average 46 points during the NCAA tourney, have made 25 of 26 free throws and have had 22 assists against nine turnovers.

Competing in the high altitude of Salt Lake City two days after playing an emotional 50-minute game won’t be easy against Butler — tired legs could cheat Pullen and Clemente of their three-point touches — but K-State never craves easy.

The ’Cats’ best shot at a national title lies with someone upsetting Kentucky before it advances to the title game. DeMarcus Cousins would eat up K-State’s big men. Other than Kentucky though, there isn’t a team remaining that should be considered a heavy favorite against KSU. (By the way, even detractors must admit, the Wabash is one catchy tune).

Should K-State reach the title, West Virginia, coached by former Martin boss Bob Huggins, would make for the most dramatic opponent. Nobody’s saying we should dye the river purple, but by then, here’s hoping all of Lawrence is backing the ’Cats.

Comments

Nutflush21 10 years ago

Keegan, I hear they have a job opening a the Manhattan Mercury.

Otownhawker 10 years ago

I didn't even read this astonomical (however you spell it) article. This is gross. I realize no one ever reads my stupid posts but you will never see me on these boards again. When an LJW sports guy puts up a column on jayhawk fans backin Ksuck that's when the s^#* hits the fan. This is completley ridiculous. For anybody that EVER backs ksu is not a TRUE KU fan. Your a fair weather fan, that is all you are. I say get rid of this site. Get rid of this newspaper and tell these so called sports journalists to go to their true colors...PURPLE.

It is one in the morning and I'm too tired to put anything else on this... Otownhawker out forever...btw Self Realist, you blow, and so do you other people who don't support THE BEST COACH in KU history.

bwill 10 years ago

As strange as it may seem, I found myself cheering for K-State against Xavier, and I plan on it the rest of the way (unless they play Baylor for the national championship). If we can't win it all, it would be nice to say we were 3-0 against the team that did!

jayhawk15 10 years ago

Why root for K state, if your saying lets root for a big 12 team why not baylor. You don't root for your rivial, especially on this scale. I even grew up with my dad ku and mom k state. occassionly as a kid I rooted for k state. But that doesn't mean I'm going to now. As a KU student who loves ku basketball (I have been to every bball game these past 4 years) Kstate advancing to the final four or god forbid the championship or even winning it. Would BE THE WORST THING THAT COULD HAPPEN. If we would have won against UNI we would have played a decent michgan state team without their best player lucas, i'm pretty confident our team would be motivated after last year we would have rolled in that one. Next we would play tennesse granted they did beat us, but there average at best. And with us playing for final four and revenge plus having better talent we most likley win. Than we have to play Kstate who we have beaten 3 times to get to the championship, probably would happen. So seeing how this tournament unfolded and the path clear for Kstate to get to the championship, a TEAM WE HAVE BEATEN THREE TIMES plus our instate RIVIAL is gut wrenching for any KU fan, and i don't see how a real ku bball fan could root for them.

Trey Hohman 10 years ago

I hope those Wildc*nts choke on a knife blade.

packywacky88 10 years ago

I know of no K-Stater that would cheer, root, or say anything positive about KU. They HATE us deep to their core…..I mean deep, deep hatred, and that makes me feel special. It is simple jealousy demonstrated by our retarded cousins to the west. But…..I root for the Big 12 and when not in competition with KU, I root for the Purple Pussies. We are big enough sports fans to cheer for our cousins, even if they are not. Although…..part of me enjoys the fact that we have 5 national crowns and they have none. I would like to see them in the Final 4…..something like when you go to McDonalds and see the “special needs girl” working on the fry-o-later….you cheer her on saying “geeze, she is doing good for herself”.

Having KSU win it all, I’m 50-50 on that. I would like to see a school from Kansas win the title, but you know K-State fans could not win a championship without throwing it in the face of every KU fan they know. It makes them feel good to hate us because no one outside the State of Kansas cares about them.

I bleed Crimson and Blue and have for 30+ years. I also live in IOWA…so this week has not been fun watching UNI fans and fat little wanna-be Cornhuskers dancing around like a bunch of Kansas City f@&&*#$........it’s enough to make you heave.

Just remember, you can’t spell suck without KSU.

Carter Patterson 10 years ago

I'm rooting for all mid majors at this point. If Butler wins, then the NCAA can look back and say..."Is this really how you pick the best team?". If you put 96 teams in, you'll have years where no number 1 seeds make it to the final 4.

kansas25 10 years ago

In the tournament, I cheer for KU. I cheer for K-State. I cheer for Baylor. It's the Big 12. Conference teams winning only means good things for the conference. Money, respect, bragging rights. Don't be so obtuse. Also, to Otownhawker-Bob Davis himself says he likes the Wildcats and is a fan of "Kansas" (i.e. the Sunflower State) and everything that comes with it. And it's 'astronomical.' Learn how to spell.

jayhawk_93 10 years ago

Ah yes. After the rousing support K-State fans gave us in OKC, I sure feel like jumping on their bang wagon. You're kidding yourself Tom.

Waylon Cook 10 years ago

Otown and Packy you two NAILED IT! MU fans and KSUck fans have had a hayday with our loss to UNI(yes same MU fans who went home in same round........) KU IS MY TEAM and I cheer for MU over KSUck when they play. KSU fans hate us way more than you even know, they laugh when lose to anyone(I remember having a run in with a KSU after we lost in bball to TTU last year..........seriously they hang on our failures......)

SO IF YOU THINK I AM GOING TO GIVE THEM ANY POSITIVE ENERGY THEN YOU ARE FREAKIN NUTS! I AM SURE YOU ARE THE SAME PEOPLE WHO WERE KSU FOOTBALL FANS(YOU KNOW DOING THE "DECADE OF DOMINANCE" WHICH BTW REALLY NEVER RESULTED IN MUCH BUT WHAT A BIG 12 TITLE?) AND THEN KU BASKETBALL FANS WHEN WE WERE "GOOD" UNDER ROY(WHICH BTW NEVER GAVE A NATIONAL TITLE OR THE OTHER GREAT THINGS COACH SELF HAS MANAGED TO DO IN HALF THE TIME) KISS MY A S S IF YOU FOR ONE SECOND THINK I SHOULD CHEER FOR KSUck! GO BUTLER!

champs528808 10 years ago

Appreciate the job of Frank Martin? Yes. Root for K-State? No way!!

Kent Kossoy 10 years ago

Give it a rest. KU blew it. My sister went to KSU so I am cool with this. I generally will root for the BIG 12 too. EXCEPT for Misery!

clutchjayhawk10 10 years ago

How can you root for your in state rival just because there in the tourny and were not? Thats the dumbest thing i ever heard. Root for Baylor and if they get knocked out root for a mid-major. I would never root for KSU or Mizzou. What a stupid article.

muffaletta 10 years ago

I agree with Keegan. I wonder if the posters who disagree are children?

Kevin Kelly 10 years ago

Confrence pride is just dumb. I'm not going to chant Big 12 like our friends in the SEC and I don't care what anyone thinks about the other 11 teams in our confrence. I root for teams in certian circumstances if they have fans that would root for my team in the same situation...period.

Raise your hand if you felt support from the west over our team being in the Orange Bowl.....that's what I thought.

And you can save the whole "We can be better than them!" angle.

Rick Arnoldy 10 years ago

Every tourney I root for KU #1 (obviously), Big 12 #2, and Mizery to lose in the most painful excrutiating way possible (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHceOv...). The league suffers when only one team carries the load (see UNLV for other old timers)

Go Cats. Go Bears.

emadden 10 years ago

How bad were the KSU fans in Oklahoma City? Can someone provide a few examples?

phillyh3 10 years ago

emadden: there were a couple of kstate fans waving their arms behind the goal while ku was shooting freethrows the entire game. its hard not to go for kstate but its hard knowing if they win it all then it will probly be shoved into the faces of every ku fan. i also believe that baylor has the greatest chance of upsetting kentucky because of their deep and athletic backcourt, the tweety-dunn duo and their 2-3 defense.

gongs4ku 10 years ago

I used to hate k-state, but they've been so bad for so long, it's hard to get excited when they lose. I actually want them to be successful now. When they're terrible every year, they aren't much of a rival. They're like that hated middle school principal who is now elderly, in a wheelchair, having strokes all the time. How can you still be mad at that guy?

You bet I'll be rooting for them.

packywacky88 10 years ago

Ohio....couldn't have said it better myself...but I will try. After the way Misery fans acted in Arrowhead in 2007(and how they embrace Quantrill and his crimes against humanity), I hope Misery never wins another game in any sport ever. I would root for Satan and his Demon Horde before Misery. Again, I mostly feel sorry for K-State, so it is hard to hate them, plus I like to root for anything from Kansas…..except Fred Phelps.(speaking of demon hordes)

K-State and Misery get at least half of their “bragging rights” from KU losses. You have to admit it is nice having a team where it hurts so much when we lose just one game. All these UNI fans up here in IA were happy to loose to Mich. State...just happy to get that far. I'd rather be a JAYHAWK with expectations of winning it all EVERY YEAR. So all the BS we catch from losing just one game is something to be proud of…although it still hurts…..Arizona still hurts…..Rhode Island still hurts…..Syracuse still hurts….Duke still hurts…..B&B still hurts……I’m afraid this one will be the worst of all. But with KU there is always next year. We have the best coach, best history, and the best program. For college basketball, there is no better place to be.

number1jayhawker 10 years ago

NO NO NO ain't going to happen.

Hey MAXhawk, there's a letter on your keyboard you need to find. It's the letter Y. lol

Also, have friends that were in OKC. They went to some kind of dueling bar. They said the ksu fans got really ugly during the evening, so much that they felt uncomfortable and left.

MN_Jayhawk39 10 years ago

I would have to disagree with Mr. Keegan on this one... I am a true college hoops fan and love to watch top talent at it's highest level and don't get me wrong... KSU's guards are playing outside of themselves right now... good for them. Nonetheless, as a KU grad and former KU football player during the Allen years, I cannot bring myself to cheer for KSU. So, I guess the only thing to say is... GO Butler!

Lone_salina_kufan 10 years ago

Is this a real article, or is this just Keegan trying to piss people off and get a bunch of posts?

jmboline 10 years ago

I'm cheering for K-State, but I won't be hurt if they lose.

This is quite a step for me. I grew up in a small town in northeast Kansas where nearly all my classmates were K-State fans so I learned to detest them early in life. It has only gotten worse over time.

After the '88 championships, one of those former classmates advised me that there is no way KU could have won and that the game had obviously been fixed. Comments like that and the K-State fans' driving need to see KU lose just disgust me beyond measure.

With this K-State team's success and a coach and players that appear to be good guys that the KU players don't seem to have issues with, I've finally matured to the point that I can pull for them. I have come to the realization that I hate those K-State fans that are idiots and not the team. Going forward, I plan to reserve my hate and disgust for K-State fans.

I probably will still get a little kick out of K-State losing, just like I did when they lost to Iowa State when in a position to solidify their chance for a number one seed. But unlike K-State fans, I'm not going to be hanging on the possibility that they lose.

All this being said, if K-State plays Baylor, I'm cheering for Baylor as the preferred Big 12 school.

Cody Stumma 10 years ago

I know of a lot of Kansas State friends that root for Kansas (and go to Kansas State) in the tourney. I also know some Kansas friends that root for Kansas State in the tourney. The fact is, I want Kansas State to be good. Good enough for us to beat them all the time, and still recieve national recognition for it. Don't call me a fair-weathered fan. Look up the definition.

I root for them because it's still a Kansas School. Some of you may not like it, but so what? Now if Kansas was still in the toruney and they would of faced Kansas State, by all means, beat the living sh*t out of them in the Final Four. But for those who complain about their fans... have you seen our student section during football season? We don't have anywhere near the best fans in the country either. Besides, KSU always talks about how they beat the "National Champions" in 2008... if they win the 2010 Title, we can at least say that we beat the National Champions 3-fold.

Benjamin Piehler 10 years ago

im fine with cheering for kstate, my younger sister attends there. growing up in KC makes mizzou the despised team for me... I have to remind her that those ku fans that are cheering for ksu are probably only doing so because we beat them three times.

drrogers 10 years ago

Kstate already lost their national championship 3 times this year. I am taking so much flak for the UNI loss. I even had a patient bring in a picture of the UNI team, and she is a KSU fan. I hope Butler wins by 50.

rockchalkmillhouse25 10 years ago

I wouldn't root for K-State or Mizzou.....unless maybe they were playing Duke and it would still be hard to do and I hate Duke. There is no way K-State fan would root for Kansas ever.....I believe they enjoy watching us lose more than them winning. I personally don't care who wins the tourney this year. I wouldn't mind so much if Baylor won simply because I don't know any Baylor fans and I wouldn't have to listen to them.

Hank Cross 10 years ago

I am cheering for KSU b/c it is KU's interest to have a legit rival in-state. If KSU wins the the Nat'l C or even goes to FF, guaranteed that next year both games will be nationally televised. This year's game at Phog wasn''t. TV helps draws recruits, so the more KU gets marquee games, the better recruitng tools. Also, think of how North Carolina /Duke, and Kentucky/Louisville create the image of those being college BB states. If KSU helps in making the State of Kansas being thought of as the center of the college BB universe all the better for KU.

I also have a soft spot for KSU when I think of how KSU and KU students teamed up for the Aggieville Riots and comiserated with them at outcome of the infamous Toilet Bowl.

I would never, however, cheer for Mizery. Not even if they were playing Duke for the Nat'l C.

Hank Cross 10 years ago

"KSU - No. 1 in Nation, No. 2 in the State" - works for me if need be.

kranny 10 years ago

I couldn't help myself, I actually rooted for them on Thursday and I'll cheer them on tonight also. We have our national championships. And we beat them 3 times this year. We'll always be able to throw that back in KState's face (I do so with my brothers). You have to let the sun shine on a dog's butt every once in awhile.

Kye Clark 10 years ago

"Since when do Kansas fans take their lead on how to behave from people who wear purple and plaster their cars with Powercat logos?"

Exactly Tom, so why start by following their lead and rooting for their team? Way to disprove your point before ever stating your case. The only way I will root for K-State is if they are playing Kentucky (or in the future any other Calipari coached team).

"Clemente, from Puerto Rico, communicates with coach Frank Martin, the son of Cuban immigrants, in Spanish."

Why does the two of them communicating in Spanish make them easier to root for, or have anything to do with anything?

Impeccable journalism as always Tom.

I agree with oxcaljayhawk (and kushaw on a different post) that KSU success has some ancillary benefits for KU. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

lovemyhawks 10 years ago

i DO know a lot of ku fans and friends that have chosen to yell for kansas in general. i can't do it. to me there is ONLY ONE kansas university in the state and i'm a rock chalk fan 100%. go butler. the ksu fans are driving me crazy already.... if they go to the FF, we will never hear the end of it. they are too obnoxious for me. sorry.....

Mike Crosbie 10 years ago

GO BIG XII !! It would be great to see ksu and Baylor in the final game !!!!! In which case go Baylor !!!!!!

Andy Hess 10 years ago

go to hell, Keegan. any TRUE KU fan knows not to root for KSUck or Mizzou. I seriously doubt the loyalty of some of these supposed "fans" who are perfectly willing to root for KUs main in-state rival. I hope Butler beats the crap out of KSUck.

esubrett 10 years ago

Here is a better and shorter article for you:

It's time to back the 'Cats How 'bout no!

Their fans hate KU and are/would be unbearable if they won it all. For some reason their win would make up for an 0-3 record against KU, not winning the Big 12 either way, and their all out lack of tradition. I will never ever root for KSU, ever! If for no other reason: their fans.

FLJHK 10 years ago

I've lived in Florida for more than 20 years now, but remain a Jayhawk and a Kansan through and through.

I've always found it easy to root for KSU whenever they are not playing KU, but I've always thought it more difficult for K-Staters to root for KU. I think it's an envy issue, being that KU is clearly the better school, has the better sports programs and is situated in a nicer town.

But I'm happy at the resurgence of KSU basketball. They do have a rich tradition, and their coaching legacy is outstanding - Tex, Cotton and Jack. Their ascension to national prominence can only be good for KU and a rivalry that has needed some stoking for a couple of decades now.

Like everyone else I'm sickened by this tournament and have endured a week of major depression. But I'll root for KSU and Baylor the rest of the way. What's good for the State of Kansas and good for the Big 12 is good for the Jayhawks in the long run.

Despite this tourney, it is still great to be a Jayhawk, easy to take pride in the quality and integrity of the Coach and program, and comforting to know that year after year, KU will always be in the mix at tourney time. It's a lofty perch indeed.

Dyrk Dugan 10 years ago

"here’s hoping all of Lawrence is backing the ’Cats."

this isn't serious right? i mean....it's all building up to a punch line correct? or, it's just the ultimate stir it up article to get readers.

there's no way any diehard KU fan wants KSU to win today, or advance in the Final 4. no way. short of KSU losing today, the only way it remotely works, is just like the above reference...a Baylor - KSU championship game...with Baylor winning. that is something we could get our hands around...because of the Big 12 domination....and having the grapes fall one game short.

but that is truly it. a KSU-WVU final? thug 1 vs. Thug 2? good grief, it couldn't be worse....i couldn't and wouldn't watch that game. i wouldn't be able to take it.

how 'bout a Kentucky-KSU final? again, i couldn't watch. the kitties from Manhattan would have nothing to lose...and the other coach, a guy we clipped in the final two years ago, would have his payback.

Duke-KSU? again, i hate Duke, and...(i think you know what else i'd say.) "excuse me sir, do you wish to be hanged, or injected with poison."

and right now, a 'Cat victory today, would probably mean a championship game appearance.....Izzo is the only guy that could beat them...but i don't think they have enough horses.

who'd a thunk it? the basketball program, might be getting closer to playing for a national title...than their vaunted football program in their hey day ever did. and they're competing against mean 'ol, exposed to the hilt with all the advantages KU.

Go Butler!

1957 10 years ago

"By the way, even detractors must admit, the Wabash is one catchy tune"...Tom do you really belive this?...really!

Joe Ross 10 years ago

I will NEVER...let me emphasize the "N", the "E", the "V", the other "E", and the "R" of that word...I will NEVER root for KSU.

This is the kind of article that distills from the mind of an individual who didn't grow up as a Kansan. Keegan, I don't doubt that you have come to appreciate being a Jayhawk fan. Not for a single moment. But there is an ocean of difference between acquiring an appreciation and being bred to be what you are. KSU has let loose chickens on their court in honor of our mascot, and you rally for our embracing of this school?

Go Butler! And if KSU wins, I'll root for whoever plays KSU next!

Hank Cross 10 years ago

FLJHK-I think it's easier for those of us who no longer live in the area to root for KSU as we don't have to put up with their fans. Also, I think the KU/KSU rivalry is stronger in western kansas than in the KC area where I'm from.

In the 80s when it was Manning v. Richmond and both our FB programs were the worst in the country, it was a good natured rivalry. Not like the unrelenting hate we always felt for Mizery. Blackman, Richmond, Fitzsimmons, Winter, and some FFs back in the day - at least that was a tradition you could respect, unlike OU talk and the ISU record of MU. I take that back, ISU at least went to the FF once.

Funhawk 10 years ago

The K-State team is good PR for our state. KSU going deep in the tournament makes the state of Kansas look better, in more ways than just basketball.

Bill Shaw 10 years ago

Most of the anti KSU comments come from fans who live in Kansas.

For those of us who no longer live in Kansas (due to lack of available jobs & farming is not our thing), it's nice to have a Kansas team to talk about to our co-workers.

kudrums 10 years ago

Couldn't disagree with you more, Keegan. Your title suggests a propagandist message. Like we don't have a choice.

So I'm supposed to feel obligated to support a team thats in our state and in our conference? So what? I will never, EVER support K-State. Why would I ever want to support KSU? They are our largest rival next to Missouri in my and Jayhawk nation's opinion. They cheer so loudly against us all year, we beat them every time we have played them and don't get to play them because we lost to KSU's purple partners in crime from my worst nightmare in UNI.

A little story for you, Keegan. On the day of my Grandfather's wake earlier this year, I was forced to go into Purple Country. That night, I had to go watch KU play football at Colorado in a Purple bar. I didn't have a choice that night. The entire bar was colored in purple with K-State fans it was disgusting. When Briscoe dropped that pass at the end of the game, the K-State fans went so crazy that I ended up shouting at the top of my lungs, "K-State Sucks!" I was so angry. Then I pretty much got the you know what knocked out of me and thrown out of the bar. KU's been cursed ever since.

The three teams I will never cheer for are: K-State, Missouri, and North Carolina. You can have your opinions, Keegan, but let us have ours.

Final Four prediction:

Tennessee West Virginia Butler Baylor

Butler West Virginia

West Virginia, 2010 NCAA Champion

kudrums 10 years ago

OH, and BTW all, I don't live in Kansas anymore.

BCRavenJHawkfan 10 years ago

Nutflush, Otown, packy, et al: I'm afraid the yellow brick road has been laid in the South Regional. Kentucky was served up a path that was just too easy. Frankly that sickens me a great deal. The only hope of Duke exiting rests with Baylor. Baylor is very capable but I would like some insurance. Like the thought of Kentucky pulling it off, the thought of Duke and the guy that may as well be Edgar Winter's son (K. Singler) makes me want to puke. This leaves Michigan St. or Tennessee to come thru and take either one down. They too are capable but have proved unreliable just like our beloved KU squad. So what's left? Butler or Kansas St. No doubt Butler is attractive enough to take to this prom dance, but is she going to put out? My sense is she is a prick tease. So that leaves the skanky slut that everyone will laugh at when on the dance floor, but who will be willing to go the distance. And so it is, I will put a paper sack over that skanky sluts head and see what happens.

BCRavenJHawkfan 10 years ago

So here is how I have reconciled the thought of Kansas State pulling this off.

Kansas State is the Junior Varsity squad of KU. They are good enough, and as such warrant their own gym. But Allen Field House remains Meca, the Alpha and the Omega of all basketball edifaces.

It is the great unknown secret, afterall, that the Big 8 came about in about 1908 when the charter members secretly let Grinnell College in to make 7 (this would not be acknowledged publicly until 1919). This unbalanced league miffed Phog Allen who had just come back to his alma mater from Baker. So Allen, following in his mentor/innovator's footsteps, collected up a group of junior varsity men (some from the glee club) and told them "go west young men and establish a basketball program to even out this league" (Allen was big on even numbers which is why he favored field goal baskets counting as two points over any baskets counting as one. He would not like the trifecta of today's game). Thus was born KU West (aka Kansas State) and the Big 8 Conference.

Having discovered these fictions on www.newspaperarchive.com I can now more easily cheer for my Kansas brethren.

phi4life940 10 years ago

One second....let me pull the proverbial knife out of KUSports.com's back.....

Seems as though Keegan has been seceretly wearing purple underwear this whole time.... How about you take your crappy articles somewhere else....

I will always root against KSU because KSU is our RIVAL! You do know the antonym of rival is ally right Keegan!? Antonym means opposite by the way.

I agree with some of the previous posts...if you want to root for anyone because of conference affiliation root for Baylor. ROCK CHALK!!!

OH...and we still beat KSU THREE times..... that's THREE (3) times so keep that in mind ,Keegan, while you are on the bandwagon gushing like a little school girl with a crush on those puddytats.

Jeff Hargate 10 years ago

I was at the game in OKC and watched as the KSU band waved dollar bills at Sherron after we lost. I have no idea what it means, but they were all smiling and cheering so it could not have been good.
As for cheering for KSU...I am married to one so I try to stay as neutral as possible. I love thier intensity, though. If Self could get 1/2 the effort KSU plays with we would still be playing.

mandomax 10 years ago

I'll root for any Big XII team with the exception of MU. KSU may think we're huge rivals, but thats a one way street. Ask any KU fan and they will tell you that MU is a much bigger rival than KSU. Ask any KSU fan, and they think KSU-KU is the biggest rivalry. I could care less about their sports programs. What I DO care about is getting more exposure for the Big XII, and one, possibly two teams in the final four would definitely do that.

AZHawk81 10 years ago

As a Kansas fan I don't see a single positive in having K-State make it to the final four. In what way does it benefit KU to have a K-State team with an assistant that can obviously recruit very well go to the final four or win a national title? Did Texas playing in the BCS title game somehow benefit Oklahoma? Does Duke playing deep into the tournament somehow benefit North Carolina? I just don't see it. With that being said, I still like to see the Big 12, absent Missouri, do well. I just don't see the benefit to having one of our rivals outshine KU on the national stage during tournament time.

gwenthejayhawk 10 years ago

I try to root for K-State; the players are great kids - but each time I do, the fans prove me wrong. I was at the games in OKC and the K-State fans cheered harder for KU to lose than for their own team to win. Add that to the K-State fans that instead of cheering for their team, they found it appropriate to yell derogatory religious insults at the BYU players nearly the entire game. Once again I found that no matter how good the K-State players are, and how much I want to cheer for them; I am found hoping with every ounce of my body that they lose. I can only attribute it to some type of Napoleon complex that are friends in Manhattan have.

midhawktx 10 years ago

This is very easy. You NEVER EVER root for your in-state rival to win more than your team. Especially in such a competitive sport as college basketball recruitment. Self said it best in an earlier article that Kansas is lucky to have never fallen off the map like the Florida's, Arizona's, and Oklahoma's of the world. Mark my words, if KSU wins this thing and you are rooting for them, you are rooting for KSU to get better players and they could potentially change the balance of power in this state. I also don't want to hear bragging rights that KSU has won as many basketball NC's as us in the past 20 years. I am not saying you have to be rude and actively root against KSU like they did to us here in OKC, but you do not want them to win this. Ask OU football how they liked it when Texas won the NC in football in 2005. The balance of power has changed there.

midhawktx 10 years ago

And AZHawk81...you are right on the money.

tstanlick1909 10 years ago

It makes the Big 12 look better if Kstate or Baylor wins the title. That said I am rooting hardcore for both teams to advance as far as they can.

There's no reason we can't be civil. After all, we have only lost to them once in the last twenty years or something crazy like that, so it's not much of a rivalry really

Jayhawk444 10 years ago

I'm always surprised there is so much hatred between KU and KState fans. I get we are rivals. So what. They're not Missouri. My high school had two primary rivals. One we played hard against and then partied with afterwards. One we played hard against and then always traveled in packs afterwards so we didn't get beat up. I always considered KState and Mizzou to be like those two schools for KU. Half of my h.s friends went to KState, half went to KU. All of us getting together after a game in Aggieville or at the Hawk was one of the best parts about any KU-KState game.

I will proudly cheer for KState today or whenever they are not playing KU. I'll save my disgust for those clods in black and gold. And I challenge anybody to come to my house and tell me to my face that I am not a true KU fan. You'd be wrong.

FLJHK 10 years ago

What makes conferences like the Big East and ACC so respected nationally over time is the distribution of power. Multiple teams in both those conferences have won NC's in last couple of decades; in the Big 12 it's either Kansas or nobody. At KU we can be confident in our legacy and only strengthened by the improvement of our rivals. We've no reason to fear improved competition; we should welcome it.

captku 10 years ago

Next year think Self ought to pull the names off of the back of the jerseys next season, and go old school. I am not thinking we have all prima donnas, but I do think we could use another push to help us focus on who we are as a team, rather than who we are as individuals. "The needs of the many ..." type of thing. I couldn't help thinking of the 88 version with 25, and 21, and 14 playing for KANSAS. For some reason once we hit the tournament this year, we didn't seem hungry. Those 88 guys put the team first. Just a thought.

Kye Clark 10 years ago

AZHawk81 - I will not root for K-State, but I do see some benefits. Here is a post from kushaw (from another thread) that was in response to me saying that you don't ever root for your rival, do UNC fans root for Duke & vice versa:

"I am glad you mentioned Duke and UNC because I live right in the middle of this feud and it's absolutely irritating. When do you think this rivalry actually took off for both of these schools? Well, this rivalry has only been alive and well and on a national scene for only about 25 years now since Duke's Final 4 in 1986.

What does 1986 have in common with K-State, KU, and Mizzou. Well, nothing really except 1986 was the year that Duke beat KU in the Final 4 and 1986 happens to be about in the middle of the last decade (1980's) where all three schools (KU, MU, and KSU) were all good in basketball at the same time.

Since 1986 Duke has risen to new levels and along with that has also risen the expectations and perception of the UNC Tar Heels along the way. Isn't that funny how that works? While Duke was trying to get the respect and eventually broke through in 1991, K-State and Mizzou were on the paths of reaching new lows and also trying to bring Kansas down with them.

All I am saying is that the Duke/UNC rivalry (130 and 99 in favor of UNC) has prospered in the last 25 years and has benefited both schools to levels that absolutely disgust me. You may not want to root for KSU or Mizzou and I'm not saying KSU and Mizzou both have to be good at the same time, but one of them at the very minimum has to sustain and keep building off this success the last couple of years in order to help Kansas and their basketball program in the future.

UNC fans may hate Duke, but deep down they are thanking Duke for keeping the expectations up and creating more success and publicity for their program. The same can be said about KSU and Mizzou. Even though I consider Mizzou the more "Hated" rival I don't care which it is, but one of them needs to get the overall level of Kansas. I want this and Kansas needs this at the moment. It's been great the last few years, but there is higher ceiling that has never been touched before in this State. I think it could happen over the next 5 to 10 years, but I won't be hating on KSU until it gets to that point or even that level of success where both schools or all three schools or competing for Championships. That's the way it should be and that is what defines a rival."

Nick Cole 10 years ago

I hope UNI wins it all! Oh wait, they're out? Dang, GO BAYLOR (and Butler)!!

Kye Clark 10 years ago

Now just to be clear, I will never, EVER root for Misery. However I think kushaw has a point. The benefit for KU in K-State achieving more success is that perhaps more of a national focus will be on the Big 12, and more specifically the state of Kansas. As someone pointed out earlier (either here or on another thread), the KU-KSU game in Lawrence was not nationally broadcast. The more national exposure the better it is for recruiting. Also, while it doesn't have to be K-State, it is better for the Big 12 to be a more competitive conference. The tougher the conference, the more prepared you are for success in the tournament (obviously that didn't pan out for us this year, but still). And also, the tougher the conference, the more attractive it is to recruits. If a high school player has aspirations of playing in the NBA, isn't it more reasonable to attend a school where game in and game out you are facing tougher competition and preparing yourself for competition at the next level? Of course. Anyway, I only my nightmare scenario isn't realized...a K-State vs. Kentucky championship game. Oh the horror!

MGJayhawk 10 years ago

No shot Keegan! We beat K-State 3 times and we need to make sure the bad karma is spread their way. We don't want those big wins to go for not. If they make it to the Final Four or Championship game, K-State fans will talk noise all year. Screw that! K-State fans are the worst homers in the country. I can't wait to see them cry after they lose!

Kye Clark 10 years ago

*I only HOPE my nightmare scenario isn't realized...

just the thought of it has me all discombobulated!

midhawktx 10 years ago

I have to disagree with KUSHAW's theories on th Duke/NC rivalry. Just because Duke was good, did not make UNC play or recruit better. UNC hired Roy Williams. I just can't imagine any Duke fan having fun since Roy has been there while watching them cut down nets while they were home 1st round. And I can't imagine UNC having fun watching Duke do the same thing in the 90's.

You can't tell me it is good for KU to sit here and watch KSU cut down nets in the NCAA this year. And don't tell me that it should be great b/c we beat them 3 times this year. Nobody will remember that except KU fans.

I think we can all agree that the Big 12 has been pretty tough for quite some time now and the issues for us in the dance are not due to our conference opponents but our ability to fade away in big moments (not including 08).

klineisanazi 10 years ago

I knew this was coming, but it is still jarring to see it in print on a site called kusports.com No good can come for KU from KSU success at the highest level. It is good for team development if they are credible, but that is as far as I will go.

E4KUJHawks 10 years ago

Yes! Yes! Yes! Let's All jump on the K-state bandwagon, just because they're from Kansas...

I mean, after all, they sure go out of their way to cheer for us in football (chanting beat KU, to our real rival)...right?!

KSU success doesn't directly translate into a greater KU. All it means is that KU plays a slightly better KSU team than normal 2-3x in a season. Played 'em 3x this year and look what that did for KU!

Screw the 'cats!

Rock Chalk Jayhawk, KU!

KUbsee69 10 years ago

No way I root for any "cat".

I don't want to see an NC banner hung in Manhattan ... oh, wait, unless someone wants to make a duplicate of KU's and hand it in the Hawk-D-Gon. Afterall, we practically own that place anyway.

Go Bears

KULA 10 years ago

I'd love to see 'em hang a banner in the Octagon. Good competition can only make us better. And I'm still a Kansan. Besides, what better motivation for our guys next time we visit than to see what coulda woulda shoulda been our banner hanging in their house?

Blake Brown 10 years ago

Well, I count myself as diehard of a KU fan as anyone on this board and have been since age 2. Im a KU fan first and foremost. Then Im a Big Xll fan. You see, it makes sense to me to have our conference be the beat it can be. This even better serves the Hawks. So, I root for all other teams in the conference unless they are playing us. We look better if they do and especially in this case where we beat KSU 3 times. In some games people chant "overrated". All this does is lower the accomplishment of beating a good team. Why would we do that? I was not pleased to see a lot of KSU fans rooting against us in OKC and yet we have some posts here that portray that same attitude which is certainly everyones choice, just not mine. Im rooting for Baylor too. Rock Chalk!

gchawk 10 years ago

In '08 a K-State person was in my office and stated very loud "I'm for Memphis". At the time she said this there was a 1952 KU grad and I visiting about the upcoming game, you could have heard a pin drop. Her husband told her, "these people are KU grads" and she went on to say "I don't care, I hate KU". One of my daughters' even graduated from KSU, only because they offered the specific curriculum she needed for her major, but I've just become amazed on how militant KSU fans can be. Pretty difficult for me to cheer for them, I think my tongue might come off its roller.

CrodieBroyle 10 years ago

People need to quit telling me to root for K-State. My dad been all over it. I don't root for conferences i root for teams. I don't want a team we beat three times three times to win a NC. Go Butler. Rock Chalk.

Kye Clark 10 years ago

Let me say this: the conference, other than KU, is not elite. How many National Championships in men's basketball have the other 11 schools won? Oklahoma State has two, back in the '40s. This is the worst among the other 5 BCS conferences (the Pac-10 is pretty brutal as well (take away UCLA and only Arizona's 1997 title is relevant). So to say "the Big 12 has been pretty tough for quite some time now", well "pretty tough" maybe...but not elite. And this is the reason why some people complain about not scheduling a tougher non-conference schedule year in and year out (although I disagree, our non-conference schedule was plenty tough this year). So someone needs to step up and take our conference to the next level. We need it on a national scale. I would prefer it if it was another team from the "north division" other than K-State or Missouri, so we would have at least two games against that team twice a year, but expecting Iowa St, Colorado, or Nebraska to step up is not likely. Right now K-State is in the best position to do this. Texas (while not from the "north") took steps back this year. Baylor is on the rise, but after this year they'll lose Tweety Carter & Lomers, and probably Dunn & Udoh as well, and I have doubts as to their ability to re-load. Texas A&M had a good couple of years, but I have doubts on Turgeon's ability to recruit there - the team's success has been largely on the shoulders of Billy Gillespie's recruits.

Obviously you are never a fan of watching your rivals cut down nets, so no, Duke fans have not had any fun watching Roy cut down some nets. But let me ask you this, who would you have fun watching cut down nets this year? I'm with you in that I don't want to see K-State win. I just think that kushaw's point has some merit. We see throughout all sports that teams or individuals are elevated to new heights when in the presence of a competitive rivalry. How long has the golf world been waiting for Tiger to have a serious rival? In tennis Federer has Nadal, but Pete Sampras never had anyone and his accomplishments have been de-valued. The Tennessee women needed UConn. And while the Yankees hate the Red Sox, them finally breaking through and winning a couple of World Series served as greater motivation for the Yankees to re-dedicate themselves to what they do best...buy the best players available. Look at how the SEC is able to compete (and often win) football championships year in and year out and how cutthroat those schools are, always looking to one-up the other and always looking to hire a coaches who can restore glory to once proud programs. Then look at Ohio State and how they've fallen off some as Michigan has floundered. Similarly, look at Michigan trying to get back to Ohio State's level by hiring Rich Rodriguez (a move that has yet to yield results, but bold to be sure, and definitely in response to Ohio State beating them several consecutive years leading to the coaching change).

Kye Clark 10 years ago

Very seldom is a program at it's peak while not in the presence of a competitive rival. Few things inspire teams/organizations/programs to achieve new heights like watching your rival experience success.

kschoenhofer 10 years ago

I wouldn't cheer for k-sucks even if they broght the beer to the party. I hope they get beat real bad. Let's go Butler.

Bill Shaw 10 years ago

Sooo, KState fans suck, like that's news?

Meanwhile, KState has a very good team & coach that don't suck. Now that is news!

Migady 10 years ago

PackyWacky, I just want to say, thanks. I have searched years to find a proper way to describe my feelings about K-State and with your symphony of words I have now locked up what I will use from now on. The McDonalds reference was sheer genius. Thanks again.

dukehester 10 years ago

please tell me i am NOT READING THIS?!!!!!!!! please tell me i am in a nightmare....regardless of what induced it!!! tell me i am NOT READING an article bysomeone who makes his living reporting on the 'Hawks who is saying this!!!!

(note to self......confimed that keegan is a plant from alien spaceship....or is waaaaaay to much into the bong!))

jhawkazmars 10 years ago

I grew up in Lawrence, graduated from K.U., my father went to K.U. I will NEVER root for KSU...I went to a football game in Manhattan when I was in junior high school. The fans were mean in the stadium, and when we were leaving I saw some K state fans attack KU fans in the parking lot with umbrellas. I have never forgotten this, nor have I ever returned to Manhattan. K State fans are classless and would never cheer for K.U. No matter what happens in the tournament, even if KState wins the tournament and are considered national champions, remember they could not beat K.U. x3 this year. We may have lost in the tournament, but it is still great to frustrate K State fans with their inability to ever beat K.U. ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!!!!

wyansas 10 years ago

It's never time to back the 'Cats.

cterhune 10 years ago

How many of you ksuck supporters think they were cheering for us during the '08 run? Or even last year when they couldnt even seem to make the tourney? just wondering..

JayhawkRock 10 years ago

I agree with cterhune in that no KSUck fans were cheering for us in 2008...I hope Butler wins today...I will cheer for Baylor though. I hope they beat Puke. I cannot bring myself to cheer for KSUck though, sorry.

diggz27 10 years ago

dumb dumb and dumb...if this is supposed to be a new "rivalry" then lets make it that. Let me ask you this, do you think North Carolina fans are pulling for Duke because they are from the same state, and conference? Please!

jhox 10 years ago

Keegan, are you nuts? Do you really think they want our support? One thing that drives the KSU fans I know more nuts than anything is the fact that KU fans tend to not hate them as much as we hate MU.

Besides, why root for them to have a strong program? So they can have more recruiting success in going after the rare local player who is talented enough to play at KU? Basketball is our birthright, not theirs.

I'll make you a deal. I'll root for their agriculture program to be the best in the country. That's as far as I'm willing to go. We own them in basketball, and we're soon to consistently own them in football. Let's keep it that way.

gchawk 10 years ago

Well Keegan, even with all our support it still wasn't enough for K-State to beat Butler, so sad.

dchon 10 years ago

Every team Keegan backs seem to choke.

Bryan Swan 10 years ago

All of this negativity justified by the fact that KSU is a rival is hard to stomach...but at the same time, as a lifelong Jayhawk, my mind simply could not make my gut root for the Wildcats...I wanted to be a good Kansan and support the Big 12 and all that...but on the inside I knew I was cheering for Butler.

As for Baylor...not the same issue...Besides, I hate Duke almost as much as Misery...

d_prowess 10 years ago

Everyone lay off Keegan!! He had to write this story to put the jinx on KSU. And it worked!!
Nice job Keegan and Butler.

Dillon Davis 10 years ago

Why in the hell would I root for KSU!!!! Did u all not get crap when we lost, did they not jump all over you about that? They don't root for us when we play so I'm not rooting for them. Good riddance Clemente!!!!!! Whooo! Glad you're gone.

Robert Brock 10 years ago

icthawkfan316 and kushaw - outstanding points on this subject. I still believe we needed to root for KSU today. It's not like rooting for Mizzou. KSU is like the underprivileged step brother; MU is the enemy. UNC would never root for Duke, but I think they may root for NC State in some situations. Nevertheless, it's not really a comparable situation, with neither of KU's rivals ever experiencing much success consistently.

But... we NEED to see the bigger picture and root for the Big 12 regardless. Talks about Big 10 expansion and UT and others jumping ship is not going away - it is going to come up every year and it could be a serious threat in the next 5-10 years. For the sake of the league, we need the conference to reach elite status and that means KSU, Baylor and others taking the next step. Thicker competition will only make KU stronger.

lovemyhawks 10 years ago

good for butler!! sorry.... enjoyed the game and ksu's loss. could not bear to see them go to the final 4 and they won't and i hope they never do. just couldn't bring myself to cheer for them........ the kstate fans are simply to ugly to justify it no matter what!! when i watched butler celebrate and cut down the nets.... i could only think "thank goodness i DO NOT have to watch the cats do that!" i WILL cheer for baylor but simply can only cheer for the one and only best kansas team. rock chalk!!!

Kye Clark 10 years ago

BrockIII - I agree that the Big 12 needs to elevate its status as a conference and that we could use better & deeper competition. However, the talks about Big 10 expansion aren't going to go away no matter how many nor how good the men's basketball teams gets. That whole situation is a football move, and nothing else.

optichawk 10 years ago

I just assume KSU goes elsewhere when the supposed Power Conferences take over, however that works out. I like the fierce competition and rivalry with Misery, but K-State is just a few steps down and sucks the resources of our state and conference dry. IMHO. And, I had a similar experience as KUDRUMS where when we lost in 1986 to Duke and again in 2003, it was like KSU won a national championship when they didn't even have any skin in the game whatsoever. They deserve being 0-2 in the last 22 years in the Elite 8 and zero for forever in the Final Four. BTW, I was in Pontiac, MI in '88 when we kept them from going to their only FF in more years than I can count...and I yelled at the top of my lungs for both reasons...

missvolley90 10 years ago

Hey Keegan, why don't you go work in Manhattan since you love the Wildcats so much? Last time I checked this was KUsports.com and it a website dedicated to the love of the University of Kansas not the pussies at KSUcks.

hawkinnebr 10 years ago

Well, looks like the Kansas ST. Wildcats had to carry Kansas in the NCAA, The Cats are back. If Kansas couldn't do it then Kansas ST. did it, make the State of Kansas proud of a great basketball team and Frank Martin. We are going to hear big things out of him I think. I root for all big 12 teams except one, Nebraska. One team I don't care who plays them and in any sport, I will not root for them. I am a KU fan. I saw Wilt Chamberlain play at KU back in 1957 and have been a big fan of them. I also like to see Kansas ST. do well also. This year was for Kansas ST. and Kansas. Both did well.

lovemyhawks 10 years ago

very happy to see ALL the puddycats fall today!!!!! loved it and sure made ME feel better about the end of OUR season!!! now, GO BAYLOR!!

milehighhawk 10 years ago

Who would have thought this article would be controversial?

Oh, and Kentucky: LOL.

truefan 10 years ago

Thank you Tom Keegan for jinxing K-State.

Sean Rodger 10 years ago

ksu fans are the worst - ask a true ksu fan if they could ever root for KU - the answer would be "Hell No"!

ksu fans care about two things and two things only: 1.) KU losing 2.) their own team

I have my own team - KU - thats the only team I need to root for.

This article sucked.

packywacky88 10 years ago

One parting comment on the KSUck loss. Martin seems to be a fairly talented coach. Enough with the angry man routine....it's getting old.

gwenthejayhawk 10 years ago

Was in a bar in OKC after KU's loss to UNI and K-State's win over BYU. Two K-State fans were talking to a KU fan and the conversation went something like this. K-State fan, "You know, I would say the top all time NCAA basketball programs would be UCLA, North Carolina, Duke, Indiana, and K-State". I almost lost my beer. I have a lot of respect for the K-State players; the K-State fans on the other hand have to be the worst in the country. You couldn't take a kid to a K-State game; if they would have been at the Ford Center in OKC your 5 year old would have learned how to talk like a drunken sailor! I heard the F-bomb nearly 150 times.

clutchjayhawk10 10 years ago

Keegan your an idiot and you shouldn't be writing for a KU board if you come up with stupid crap like this. Why the hell would we root for a rival. I hope KSU gets the crap beat out of them. You sound like your a supporter of KSU instead of KU.

purplepride 10 years ago

finally a ku fan with some class!!! i have cheered for ku my whole life except when they are playing the cats. if you are proud of being from kansas you should be proud of the teams that represent your state! but i do have to say after all the trash talk this year it sure makes it hard to want to cheer on the crimson and blue.

Joe Ross 10 years ago

purple...

Here's an education on the subject since apparently you didn't receive one from KState:

rivalry definition Pronunciation: /ˈrī-vəl-rē/ Function: n Inflected Form: pl -ries 1 : a competitive or antagonistic state or condition.

KU and KSU are rivals. Get it?

This article should never have been written. Sorry Keegs. Perhaps it's time to recalibrate your insight because it's definitely off on this piece.

lovemyhawks 10 years ago

purplepride.... if you truly back the jayhawks then you are a lot different than the wildcat fans i know. the ones i know make it hard to even consider cheering for their team.

Jeff Coffman 10 years ago

A true Jayhawk never roots for a wildcat.

The only time that rooting for a wildacat ever occurs is if K-State is playing Missouri. And the best part of that game is that one of the two loses everytime.

gchawk 10 years ago

Purplepride: I hope you read this, but I doubt very seriously if you do. I wish I could send you the emails, text messages, and phone messages I received after the loss to UNI, if I could you'd see why it's virtually impossible to root for KSU, and this is after having 2 daughters who went there (who are now out of the will !!) and 2 brothers who also attended your school. They, the messages, ranged anywhere from being in bad taste to just downright abusive. Truly I have some respect for KSU, a number of their alumni are fairly decent employees of mine.

KUbsee69 10 years ago

gchawk ... how many McDonald's do you own?

gchawk 10 years ago

Kubsee69: That is good. Wish I could say I was in that particular field, but you definitely get my drift.

DallasHawk 10 years ago

Sorry I missed out on this article over the weekend. This made me want to puke! You think some douche in Manhattan wrote a similar article in 08'??? Nope... Justice prevailed on Saturday and some sanity has been restored.