Saturday, March 20, 2010

KU bus making way back to Lawrence, no plan for fans

Google Map

KU's trip back to Lawrence

View Larger Map

The bus carrying the KU men's basketball team is on its way back to Lawrence from Oklahoma City.

According to Jim Marchiony, KU associate athletics director, the team bus left the Ford Center about 8:30 p.m. The trip takes about five hours depending on driving conditions. Roadways on the return trip were reportedly in decent shape, but the bus was taking its time.

There are no current plans for fans upon the team's arrival. Kansas fell to Northern Iowa Saturday night in the NCAA Tournament, ending its season.

Comments

Lance Hobson 4 years ago

C'mon, this tourney is all that matters. They are losers. It's sad because I love KU and am a diehard fan, but that's just the fact. By this afternoon no one nationally will be talking about KU and this team and all of its potential will be forgotten forever.

Martin Rosenblum 4 years ago

Note to Lawrence City Council:

Impose a law authorizing anyone wearing purple to be taken down by any means necessary!

Barney should be banned from all childrens toy stores and book stores.

The Turnpike should have purple detecting dogs at the exits to Lawrence and K10 should build checkpoints to deny anyone wearing purple from entering Lawrence.

Finally, the University of Kansas Athletics Department should protest any post season games where teams starting with B or teams that wear purple are our opponents.

KEITHMILES05 4 years ago

The last numerous games this team came out sluggish and appeared non-interested in playing. Why? What happened? Were there issues amongst themselves? Sadly, they have only themselves to be upset with.

With all the high emotion displayed at the end of the game if they could have used that and channeled it at the beginning and not dug a hole for themselves the result would likely have been different. Just because they felt they were the better team didn't mean squat. This team was never sufficiently challenged when they needed to be.

Hopefully, this will be a lesson learned by them. Just because the front of the jersey says Kansas doesn't win games. Playing like you want to win does.

Sherron? You are such a big time gamer. You are da man. I love you like a son. You did KU proud.

jumpin_catfish 4 years ago

Americans love a winner and HATE a loser but the Jayhawks aren't losers. They have a record and a place in college basketball other schools would cut off their right arm for. Last night UNI left everything on the floor and KU didn't it's that simple. Easy to point the finger at the players or coaches but it was great season with great memories. Time to move on, there's always next year.

William Blake 4 years ago

I think the one area CS is weak is as a motivator. It alarmed me when he tells the team to just go have fun. I know he wants to keep them loose, but statements like that don't exactly encourage them to be focused and to hustle.

I think CS is a great coach and great recruiter... but maybe they need to hire an extra assistant coach to work in the inspiration department. We all see what assistant Hudy has done with our Hawk players' bodies... now let's address a specialist for their minds. Tonight was a clear example of what a lack of focus and motivation can do; lose to a very mediocre team who didn't even play that well. I'm definitely not going to be one of those patsies that gives the credit to Northern Iowa. They didn't play well enough to beat a motivated Kansas team, or even play well enough to prevent a blow out.

I empathize with all the players... I bet they feel so many different things right now, it must be quite confusing. They really didn't see this coming, while many around the game did. Because of their performance with Lehigh many fans definitely brought up mention of their possible early exit. I am sure this team is feeling guilty... hearing from others that they didn't come ready to play and they were unmotivated. They should have had more help in prepping their psyche. Lesson to CS: it's not enough to come to a game loose.... it's better a team comes to a game with a very clear sobriety; focused on execution, and so excited to start the game they can hardly stand it! If you get a team in this psyche they will execute their game plan. We had very little execution of anything today. I didn't recognize this team as being KU.

Even with all the wins this year many fans were often frustrated with their play. CS related it to a team never hitting on all cylinders. I saw the season as a team that never developed team focus. We were so talented and we won all those games without finding a team rhythm.. we just overwhelmed teams with talent at every position.

March Madness victors are less about individual talent and more about team cohesiveness. In order for a team to have good team rhythm each player needs to be clearly in focus and driven for victory. This was no place for us to succeed... most of the season our victories were ugly wins; our Hawks so over-talented, they would go out an underachieve and still win almost every game! Meanwhile, they missed the realization that they had weaknesses in focus and motivation because they were winning anyways. Today clearly showed our big flaw.

This was a tough lesson to learn... wish we could have learned it last month and found a cure, unfortunately, we will get no second chance. I'm not making these statements as an "I told you so." I realized the motivational/focus issue a few months ago but felt we were ready to win it all.

Maybe Hudy has a sibling who is a motivational speaker?!

Lance Hobson 4 years ago

For some reason I just don't blame Self. He knew this team had issues and he's been hinting at it for a while, if not coming right out and saying it. I think he did everything he coul to get this team motivated, they just didn't have it. They jseemed to not grasp the opportunity they had and its importance. It all started with Morningstar's DUI. He was supposed to be a leader and he's off breaking curfew and getting sauced during Boot Camp. Xavier is just guest help and never seemed to be a real member of the team, and Taylor's not quite with it upstairs. They didn't have that something special that champions have. Even if we had won, we had major problems. UK won their game today by 30 points and were up 30 at the half in their first game. We never played like a one seed in our two games.

RedJay 4 years ago

Bill's contract should be re-negotiated: whenever you get bounced by any team 5 seeds lower than you or more, you can make no more $ than that school's coach.

Good recruiter, but he is one John Calipari-ordered-foul from being a famous underachiever.

Get your boys ready to play. This is the third time.

jayhawkboogeyman 4 years ago

oxcaljayhawk (anonymous) says… Strikewso-the only good point about the loss was that it made 0bama look bad - again.

yeah, okay. First, it's just a game. Second, you have to be a real fool to want what's bad for the president. If you don't agree with his ideas, fine. But the inability to separate the person from policy shows a vast amount of ignorance and pettiness.

That said, the game was a disaster. The players played with no passion yet again, and their sense of entitlement caught up with them finally.

SASNAKman 4 years ago

Strikewso- are you a fan? you sound like the National Championship meant nothing to you. So there was an early exit, but would you trade a trip to the final four this year for an exit in the final four in '08.. doubtful. Just saying, early exits happen to the best of 'em. And this was an elite team that just didn't have the best ending to their season, but three losses on the year isn't too bad if you ask me. Thank you Hawks for a great season of basketball. Proud to be a spectator.

KanFan27 4 years ago

Does anyone else question Bill Self's NCAA tournament coaching ability aside from me? I know that he won the NC in 08 but other than that he has two first round exits and a second round exit in 7 tries at KU. His first year here we went out in the elite 8 with a team fresh off of a Title run. Last year was with new talent so I can excuse that, but I really do not think he is that great of a tournament coach. I believe that he is a fantastic coach and I'm not saying fire him or anything like that, but I'm kind of tired of early exits. A lot can be said about it being the teams fault because they did not get up for the game and it was their job to play but in my opinion the WAY a team plays is a reflection of the type of a coach they have. Next year we will still have a team that is completely capable of going to the National Championship so I honestly expect a very deep run into the tournament. I am not furious with self, this team or this loss. It happens to everyone at some time, but if it happens again next season that will be 4 first weekend exits to just one (hugely) successful run. We will have almost everyone back along with some more next year. We know SC is gone and Cole is more than likely gone also but X should come back not just for himself but for the chance to play with his brother again. SC and Cole are huge losses but we would still be stacked with talent. I really hope that Bill can prove me wrong on his NCAA tournament coaching ability and we will find out a year from now.

iheartthejayhawks 4 years ago

Hope they make it back safely with fans to greet them.

newtown 4 years ago

will Gary Bedore be there with his pompoms when the bus pulls in ?

Can't wait for his smiley face spin on how the great KU lost the game of the century.

Hank Cross 4 years ago

Lance Hobson 4 years ago

They blew it, that's why. Like it or not, this is a major embarrassment for our program. UK continues to cruise and we're done. Heck, we even let the president down. Don't expect to ever win another recruiting battle with Cal. We don't celebrate teams that don't get fired up for the NCAA tourney and then bow out early. They came out apathetic against Lehigh and then inexplicably did the same thing today. I know coach Self was leary of this team for its lack of killer instinct and he has to be so frustrated that he could just never get through to them.

William Blake 4 years, 1 month ago

"There are no current plans for fans upon the team's arrival."

Why not? Okay... you don't need plans for fair weather fans, but what about the hardcore Hawk base who has enough character to cheer the team through thick and thin?

RCJH!

milwaukeeJAYHAWK 4 years, 1 month ago

if I was in Kansas, you know i'd be there.

we gotta support the hawks win or lose.

rockchalk43 4 years, 1 month ago

you call the big 12 defensive player of the year a dud?

tboss21 4 years, 1 month ago

First of all, Sherron yes we need to see him. Cole, heck no, what has he done all year, NOTHING!!!! Cole was the biggest dud of '10. He had so much hype, but didn't do a thing. As far as X goes, NBA, I say NOWAY. This kid needs more time. I love the Jayhawks, but lets be honest, Cole was more of a hype then he proved to be all season long. Tonight came down to not being ready. Cole came back for a reason, to go down in history, well son, you will.....As one of the worst loses in NCAA history.

newtown 4 years, 1 month ago

Is big Lew driving the bus ?????

trvlronda 4 years, 1 month ago

Shame on KU! If you don't want the fans to be whiny, why isn't a little ceremony planned? I just got a text from a friend, and they are snowed in OKC. Hmmmmm. May the drivers be skilled....bring everyone back safe.

It sucks that we lost, but it happened. The season was great, and we need to see Cole and Sherron one more time......

COjayrocks 4 years, 1 month ago

Hey bringbacknike, thanks for that post. Nice handle too. I've never been so sure that I wouldn't like someone having known so little about them as I am about you.

BringBackNike 4 years, 1 month ago

No thanks. Snowy and we just lost in the second round.

coldplay 4 years, 1 month ago

dont let them back in the state