Saturday, March 20, 2010

Aldrich, Xavier Henry not yet decided on NBA

Collins: 'I'm definitely for sure it's Cole's last game'

Kansas center Cole Aldrich defends a shot by Northern Iowa guard Kwadzo Ahelegbe during the first half Friday, March 20, 2010 at the Ford Center in Oklahoma City.

Several Kansas University basketball players were asked about their futures in a gloomy KU locker room Saturday.

Junior Cole Aldrich, who is expected to turn pro, said he had yet to make up his mind.

"I've got no idea right now," Aldrich said. "Right now, there's so many things coming through my mind, I'm just going to take a few days to rest my body and mind."

Senior Sherron Collins said he felt Aldrich definitely would be leaving.

"I hugged everybody. Some people, this might be their last game. I'm definitely for sure it's Cole's last game. I don't know about Xavy yet, but I'm pretty sure, you know, he can do some things. I told them they've got to keep their head up."

Freshman Xavier Henry said he also had not come to a decision about his future.

"I've not even thought about my future. I'm here for my teammates now," Henry said.

Sophomore Marcus Morris and sophomore Tyshawn Taylor both said they were definitely coming back to KU next season.

Taylor had several issues, in which there was some speculation he might transfer.

Morris had played so well this season that some people thought he might head to the NBA.

KU coach Bill Self did not address his players' futures.

"I'm not going to say anything about that," Self said.

Comments

buffalojayhawk9 9 years, 10 months ago

Aldrich: FINISH COLLEGE. The NBA can wait another year.

ramsrevenge 9 years, 10 months ago

They all need to stay. Terrible season...exept for Marcus! Cole was too soft in the tourney and X needs to stay another year regardless. You owe it to Jayhawk nation after this loss!

Michael Leiker 9 years, 10 months ago

Terrible season - you must have had more BLs than I had ramsrevenege.

mojayhawk 9 years, 10 months ago

ramsrevenge is not a Jayhawk supporter. What a ridiculous statement.

Great season. Sad ending. Just one of those games. It just shows how hard it is to win it all. Thanks for a great year. I hope X and Cole stay, but you need to do what's right for your future. You don't owe us anything!

apeoples410 9 years, 10 months ago

The entire team played their hearts out. Not one of them owes anything. It was a great season that ended in disappointment for everyone. We'll be back next year with more motivation than ever. Rock Chalk! Thanks for a great season and keep your heads up! We will be back! Thanks for a fantastic career Sherron! We would love for Cole and Xavier to come back for another year, but if not, good luck in the NBA! You will be missed.

Kendall Von Bevern 9 years, 10 months ago

It was not a terrible season and Xavy doesn't "owe" us anything. Tons of programs would kill for what we have. The players tried their best an if they move on to the NBA I wish them the best. The Jayhawks will be strong next year no matter who comes back and I am proud of my Alma Mater. Rock Chalk!

Alan Williams 9 years, 10 months ago

I'm not proud at all to be a Jayhawk fan today. They didn't even look like they wanted to win until the very end when it was too late and we finally played a team that didn't give in in the final minutes. The Jayhawks 100% deserved this loss today. And as for Cole and Xavier, they did not show anything this season that would lead me to believe they should enter the draft.

Scott Smetana 9 years, 10 months ago

Screw u Alan. We ran against a solid, red-hot team who couldn't miss. Too bad we didn't hit just 1 more 3. You and a few idiots are calling this season a bust.

The tourney takes a great team and luck not to run into a team like N Iowa played today. We'll be just as good if not better next year. X will definitely be back, but not sure should be starting over Reed at this point.

Firebirdguy31 9 years, 10 months ago

We won't be getting Knight, Selby, or Lamb after that performance. I'd bet my life on it and I'm not a betting man.

mariofan11 9 years, 10 months ago

Alan Williams 9 years, 10 months ago

Smitty you're a tool if you think we played a good game. All I've seen today is that Bill Self is no different from Roy in the fact that we choke yet again in the tournament. We should have blown this team out. Our players flat out weren't prepared in the least for this game. And this season WAS a bust.

kevinw2434 9 years, 10 months ago

This season is a bust. When ur at a school like KU its national title or bust. No one cares how many conf titles you win. Its about National Titles and we get to watch teams like K-State and UNI march on while KU rides the bus home. X is not ready for the NBA. He would be a project at this point. Cole's stock dropped alot in this tourny. He got schooled by two no name centers that will struggle to play over seas.

Firebirdguy31 9 years, 10 months ago

As for Xavier, he hasn't thought about the NBA, but his father has. Xavier is as good as gone. I'd be shocked if he even showed up to class next week. I'd love to have him stay, but for some reason his father is hell bent on him leaving school as fast as possible. How cool would it be though to have Xavier back so that next year it can be HIS team, instead of Sherron, as he's been saying all season. I'd like to see what Xavier could do with a team on his shoulders and command. Carmelo Anthony took over his team in his Freshman year and won it all. If Xavier is as great as everyone says he is, he could do the same as a Sophomore.

tstanlick1909 9 years, 10 months ago

sigepkg2001 9 years, 10 months ago

You can't compare Melo and X. They are not even on the same level. If X had the ability to put the team on his back he would have done it tonight. Don't get me wrong, he is a great player and we are a better team with him, but tonight we did not come to play. 2011 squad would look pretty good with X and Cole but I'm not holding my breath.

cklarock 9 years, 10 months ago

Any player who can go lottery should. He'll make more in a couple years than I will in a decade.

Big love to this year's team, who despite the loss today won the toughest league in America going away, and gave us some fantastic moments. Sherron's Senior Night was special, and the emergence of the Morris Twins was a joy to watch. Point Plankin'!

sigepkg2001 9 years, 10 months ago

gongs4ku 9 years, 10 months ago

Actually Cole should probably go. He's not going to improve his draft stock by staying another year. I'd love for him to stay, but it's not in the young man's best interest.

mikewils 9 years, 10 months ago

Smitty - Red hot team that couldn't miss? Not in the second half, and we still couldn't pull even.

Even so, the season was not a bust. But after seeing the last 10 games and how they started slow EVERY time, you just knew this was coming. I just can't figure out where their collective heads have been the last 3-4 weeks. For a team this talented, they have under achieved in their level of play.

Aldrich lowered his NBA stock in this game big time. No offensive killer instinct and no ability to jam the ball home. It was like watching Chenowith tonight. And Xavier has less ability to drive to the hoop than Keith Langford right now. If he leaves now, he'll never be anything more than 9th or 10th coming off the bench.

Dick Murdock 9 years, 10 months ago

I'm not sure Xavier is ready to be a first round choice. If he isn't projected there he would do himself a favor by staying another year. Aldrich should surly go - probably should have gone last year really.

zaveay15 9 years, 10 months ago

How is it a terrible season its not....another BIG 12 title a 33-3 season yes it was a disappointing end but not a terrible season.

Andrew Ralls 9 years, 10 months ago

KUsports shouldn't allow any new users to post for a week at least.

Jaminrawk 9 years, 10 months ago

Needless to say some of these guys don't speak for the majority of the Jayhawk nation. The guys came up short against a hell of a hot team in UNI. In the end, this was a young team that hopefully can take something from this and come back next year on a mission. Cole is probably gone. X is probably gone. Even so, this KU team already has a ton of talent that should compete for another Big XII title and enter the NCAA Tournament with a good shot at the title. If Cole and/or X decide to come back, this team will be a favorite from the start. We shall see.

And to the detractor who said that Knight or Selby wouldn't come because of this loss, you are an idiot. Those kids don't care about this. What they care about is a chance to make their own mark.

tvnolan 9 years, 10 months ago

While I think Aldrich and Henry are both excellent, they both demonstrated this season that they are not ready for the NBA. Aldrich was slightly above average this season. Henry could be great at times and would disappear other times. He has a nice shooting touch, but is yet inconsistent.

They'll both go to the NBA. Aldrich will likely be 2nd or 3rd stringer. Henry might eventually be a starter but I doubt it. The NBA is littered with great shooters who keep the bench warm. He'll have to show that he can handle the ball and play D, neither of which he can do at an NBA level.

Good luck to them both. No one can blame them for going for the cash.

melrank 9 years, 10 months ago

Disgusting if these really are "fans"!

hawksince51 9 years, 10 months ago

I cannot predict what crazy things a pro agent will promise or NBA teams will do. But if it were my money I would not draft X in the first round. He had an ok, not nearly great, freshman year. He has proven very little so far as the next level is concerned. But the NBA keeps throwing high draft choices and load of bucks at these OAD'ers so I cannot blame the kids for going for the bucks. I would like to think that the low success rate would cause the NBA to rethink this strategy but I am not counting on it. So far as Cole, he is NBA worthy just for his size and solid D. I would draft him mid first round. He has it all over Ostertag and look at the career O had. Glad to see Marcus says he is returning for sure. Shows me good sense on his part, and probably his Mom's as well. Kief is surely not ready so maybe that helps us keep Marcus another year.

Jabez Harlan 9 years, 10 months ago

Face it. Cole and Sherron are not the players that Rush and Chalmers were. Not the winners not the anything. Ku in 08 defended at a much higher level than KU of 10 did.

KU sucked on so many levels today it is hard to count. KU had a great season but the 3rd loss will far outshine the 33 wins for all of history. Sorry for Sherron to go out like this.

Jabez Harlan 9 years, 10 months ago

Cole should leave. He is great but not elite. Personally, the team is better without him.

Jabez Harlan 9 years, 10 months ago

Sherron was 0-5 3pt shooting and 5 TO. not the type of performance a senior should have in the second round.

Jabez Harlan 9 years, 10 months ago

Is there such a thing as Black Saturday? This day will forever be known to me as such.

Rick Willard 9 years, 10 months ago

Let's assume that Cole and X are gone (although I'd love to see them be a Sr. and Soph. respectively, instead of "Rookie"). KU is really reloading all over again. Tyshawn will be out of Sherron's shadow...the Twins will be UNBELIEVABLE...Robinson is a complete motor on the floor...Elijah Johnson could be amazing...Withey could easily be what Cole was his Soph year when he dominated UNC in the National Semi's.... Heck, maybe even X or Cole might want to come back for one more run at the title. Enough said.... Let the dipsticks from K-State, MU, and...wherever...have their fun tonight. This is a constant case of "scoreboard." When I look at our 50+ whatever conference championships, our 13 Final 4's, our 5 National Championships, our 2000+ wins...the tradition of KU is.......so very tough to match. Tip a cold one tonight KU fans. The Church of KU Basketball is in very good hands, and I'll be proud to be a disciple for the rest of my life!

Jabez Harlan 9 years, 10 months ago

This season will forever be known as the choke season of 2010. Nothing good will be remembered. This is almost worse than the loss to Rhode Island in 1998. At least that team had Lamar Odom and Cutino Mobley.

Scott Smetana 9 years, 10 months ago

Totally agreed, No name bashers of this team shouldn't be allowed on this site.

We played balls out the last 12 minutes of this game. Those saying this season was a bust are idiots who watch only a few games out of the year and claim to know everything. X is gone? Who wants to bet? Someone is willing to bet their lives we don't get Selby.... classy.

yovoy 9 years, 10 months ago

bighawkbill, i was watching some clips of the 08 team a couple of weeks ago, and i started telling people then that we wouldn't win it all this year. this year's team just didn't have "it", whatever "it" is. they just had a certain quality that couldn't be denied.

i don't think the sky has fallen, though i'm disappointed in this game. we got put out about 1 game sooner than i thought we would. i don't want to think about next year, but i'll talk about this year's exit. i've always railed against the "format" of the tourney games. with all the timeouts, and breaks a "decent" team can be a world beater. if you're overmatched, all you've got to do is defend, get defensive rebounds, and score here and there, and limit runs by the other teams (by playing deep into the shotclock) then you're going to get a break. if you aren't playing "fast" you can't and won't be able blow out a team you should blow out. granted, other teams blow teams out, but they are scoring on steals and turnovers (like kentucky, and other teams that have an opportunity to win it all). also that's the way you have to play during the season, but it doesn't seem as prevalent in conference as it does in march. if you are the "better" team, and you allow another team like u.n.i. to walk it up the floor, and initiate their offense, and run it for 25 seconds, then you're going to have trouble. like we did tonight. i don't know why we didn't speed them up early.

i stopped watching at half (had to go to a wedding): how'd we get back into it?

Ed Brown 9 years, 10 months ago

As bad as it hurts the entire Jayhawk nation, those kids are crushed. Recognize they gave us a great season and career in Sherron's case. When Cole got the flu or whatever he stopped jamming the ball and started doing the Cheno...oops no names, just lost some of his aggression. I saw him on the sidelines from that point on with the inhaler to his mouth. He looked tired down the stretch and was not as consistent as he was early on in the season. I really feel for Sherron to go out like that and for Cole when the were projected All American when the season started.

I'm still a true blue Hawk, born and bread and will stand by the team, the coach and KU athletics no matter what. I just hope they know they can hold their head up knowing the season was good. I also hope we never draw Oklahoma City again. There must be some voodoo in that place for sure.

Reload and yes, Cole, get your education. I truly think another year will help him get his head ready to play with the big boys like he is capable of.

dqn17 9 years, 10 months ago

I hope Cole and X stay it would be good for them anyway. All in all good season but this one is going to hurt for a while.

westernkshawk 9 years, 10 months ago

I embarrassed at some of these posts. This is not the sentiment of the true blue Jayhawk fans. These kids played their hearts out and came up short against a very good team when they happened to be shooting lights out. Our guys do NOT deserve this criticism. If we could be in Sherron's jersey right now we'd find a heart truly broken because he didn't have a better night. He's carried us so many nights and just couldn't get it done tonight. Thanks for all you've all given to us this year and thanks for the memories!

FairgroveJayhawk 9 years, 10 months ago

Uptown- agree 100%

perspective is important.

ksutwister 9 years, 10 months ago

Thought KU had a great season, just ended shorter than you all had planned. What erked me about this team is everyone was saying what a class act they are. As far as what was shown on TV very few players shook hands with UNI, and they sent Aldrich, and Reed (sp) to do post game. Everyone else was too busy pouting in the locker roo. If they would have won, Collins would be calling it his team and been right in the middle of all the publicity and Reed would have probably been left out of the process. Totally classless. GO STATE!!

sigepkg2001 9 years, 10 months ago

It's not the end of the world folks. We are still loaded with talent and have 2 of the nations top guard prospects considering KU. Kids that could have the John Wahl affect. We'll be young but talented and we have the hands down best coach in the country. Lots to be optimistic for and we have Turner Gill ready to take KU football to the next level. Always proud to be a Jayhawk. RCJHKU!

floridajayhawks 9 years, 10 months ago

Cole will be getting drafted because of his defense not his offense, he is gone. As for X he does need another year, Coach Self still a great coach, Jayhawk nation still the best fans in the world we're just disappointed right now. I will be cheering for all the Big 12 teams left, hopefully one will make it to the final 4.

Mike Kendall 9 years, 10 months ago

PikesPeakSmitty---Every KU fan on this site is being questioned about whether they are a true fan. I can safely tell you I have been a fan since my junior high days. I may not have the talents to evaluate or analyze like Jaybate or Ralster---a KUwells or a KUshaw, but my passion is definitely there. It's always sad when KU doesn't make it to the NC game, but UNI had a better performance by two points. One always has to feel for the Seniors and maybe for those who will not return. Cole said in his post-game interview that "the main goal for coming back was to win the NC game but I don't regret my decision at all. I have had an absolute blast."

Thanks, Cole. I enjoyed your efforts all year! Rock Chalk!

Timothy Todd 9 years, 10 months ago

This team beat K-State three times. Beat Missouri twice. Won the Big 12 Championship and Tournament. I am incredibly disappointed tonight but the season is hardly a "failure." Only one team's season doesn't end with disappointment, ours just came early.

KUjhawk10 9 years, 10 months ago

The only thing this team lacked was humility. Thats why every game we came out with a lazy approach because we felt that we would win because we had KANSAS on our chest. Who cares if they tried the last 12min PikesPeak..they should show that grit the whole game..this is March..not November..take pride in the way u play all 40min like all of the other 1 and 2 seed(besides nova) and win by 30..not 12.People praised us from March of last year and they were right. We were(are) the best team. But come March to be the best you have to respect your opponent, no matter what your seed or who you play. We haven't done that all year so why should we now? This team was full of arrogance starting in the offseason with the fights and carred on throughout. The arrogance started with our leader and spread to everyone. I love sherron and what he has done, but he is misguided with the role of leadership. Leadership is getting in peoples faces when they have a lackluster approach, with taking bad shots, not boxing out, careles turnovers. Leaders don't grab the ball and feel entitled to get their points. He did care us at times(Cornell) which he should do, but when ur having a bad night(senior night) pass the ball. Their attitude was poor, they played hard when it came crunch time, but so does everyone else, ecspecially in march. We can complain about the refs all we want(it was horrible) but we didnt earn their respect in the first 10 minutes and didn't capitalize on some of the calls that went our way in the last 10 either

Bill Pitcher 9 years, 10 months ago

We had too many guys thinking "NBA" instead of "NCAA" this year. Think about the twins, Xavier, Mario, Travis, Elijah, Tyrel and Tyshawn playing a press next year. And smile. March is the cruelest month; the tournament reflects as much luck as skill. And we have players and a coaching staff that reflect the best of our state and our university. Walk tall, Jayhawks!!

rockchalkin54 9 years, 10 months ago

ksutwister - Your team is in the Sweet Sixteen for the first time since 1988. Quit acting like a Missouri fan and go worry about your own team.

James Scott 9 years, 10 months ago

This season is not a failure, but I can't help but question some of the decision making and lack of focus in today's game.

The KU bigs were 14-20 tonight. The advantage was clearly inside for KU. KU's run came when they started getting the ball down low.

Why did it take being down 12 with 8 minutes to play to finally decide to play pressure defense? I'm not talking about full-court pressing just simply having passion in playing defense and forcing UNI to play under pressure.

Sherron- as good as he's been at KU, has to understand when it's not his night and stop shooting 3 after 3 and driving into trouble and throwing the ball away. Taylor and Collins were a combined 4-21 and 0-11 from 3. Game over.

Case in point- KU is down 9 and Collins gets an offensive rebound. Rather than running the offense and getting a good shot he shoots another poor shot with 33 seconds on the shot clock.

However, all this said- this game came down to two 2 play series that sent KU home. 59-56 with Xavier at the line. He misses the front end of a one and one. UNI shoots a poor shot and Morris fails to block out his man and fouls him. Instead of potentially a 1-point deficit and the ball we're down 5 with less than 2 minutes to play.

Second 2-play series: Reed, inexplicably, runs away from UNI's best shooter (the other UNI player was in the opposite corner and already covered). Farokmanesh drains the 3. Next offensive play down- Reed charges. Game over.

This game came down to guard play- unfortunately. It shouldn't have, but Collins and Taylor's shooting decisions made it that way.

tboss21 9 years, 10 months ago

i am a die hard fan, and let me tell you something, as i was watching the first round game i knew we were in trouble. We did not look ready to play. This game was the worst i have seen KU play in years. seriously years. we were not ready to play tonight, no if ands or buts about it. we were not motivated at all. i don;t know what else to say except i hope in the year to come we learn from this game and never let something like this happen again, as i have a feeling we will not be hearing the end of this one for a lone time. As for as X goes, NBA, child please...no way is he ready for the pros. He knows it, as does the NBA.

tboss21 9 years, 10 months ago

Oh and by the way, Cole hasn't looked like an NBA player all year. Let's be honest. I love the Jayhawks, but for real. What has Cole proven this year????

ksutwister 9 years, 10 months ago

Not even a basketball fan. Just making a point. WIn humbly, lose gracefully.

BayJayhawk 9 years, 10 months ago

RockChalkAlan (anonymous) says… I'm not proud at all to be a Jayhawk fan today THEN DON'T BE ONE!

clutchjayhawk10 9 years, 10 months ago

ksutwister-y u commenting on r board, shouldnt u be celebrating your first sweet 16 appearance in over a decade. u got nothn better to do tho then wait on ku to lose and then say something. All u ksu fans r jealous of all our success and tradition cus ur program doesnt have anythng compared to rs. good season Jayhawks, just a bad ending. We'll be back next year.

bschnee 9 years, 10 months ago

that fact that we're contemplating cole and x going pro is a joke. cole got knocked around by JORDAN EGLESEEDER. seriously?? no one had heard of him until just this weekend. didnt have an answer at all the entire first half. if you cant stop him how on earth will you stop anyone in the nba? he has ZERO offensive moves besides offensives rebounds and dunks and a "hook" shot that is sketchy at best. he shoots like a monkey from the line too which is only positive in that everyone jumps early so he gets extra tries though if he made them in the first place he wouldn't need those extra tries... his d was good this season but what on earth was that tonight? Eglseder dominated him for 30 minutes. I don't see cole doing much in the pros. he needs to work on his offensive post moves a LOT. x played like a scared little freshman for most the game, only settling for 3's like everyone else in the first half.. he can't just shoot 3's in the nba he needs to actually learn to drive the ball more.. i love x and i actually think he'll be decent in the L even if he leaves this year but he has work to do. meanwhile sherron played like an idiot tonight too. just jack threes and drive in the lane and turn the ball over.. what a well run offense that was.. an absolutely horrible game to watch if you're a ku fan. i called the upset as soon as ku was down 10-2. we settled for far too many threes (6 pts in the paint in the first half??) and once we actually started getting the ball inside more we started to mount a little comeback. our d was alright but you gotta do better on the screens when you know that little white dude won't drive but only shoots threes. you gotta come out and hedge i saw marcus watch him shoot and then aldrich backed away and watched him shoot an open 3. how many threes does the guy need to hit to make us respect his range? he's 6-0 he WON'T drive! furthermore i thought we should've been pressing earlier just to speed up the tempo. UNI had the perfect game. good defense frustrate the other team, slow pace and hit threes and free throws. recipe for an upset. this season was a success but all i'll remember is this loss... why do bill self teams play so tight against lesser opponents? If unlv won we would've won this game by 25 going away.

gregm59460 9 years, 10 months ago

Everyone, I am sick of all these posts about these kids playing their heart out today... Plain and Simple we weren't ready to play toady and NI was. I am really dis-appointed in coach Self as well. How can we have the deepest team in KU history and not come out on fire and pressing them all over the place?!!!! Basically in the last 4 minutes we played our heart out but why weren't we doing that for 40 minutes. Plain and simple!!!!! We weren't ready to play and that is all on coach Self and our senior guard Sherron. Enough said. Hopefully they learn and come out stronger next year.

ksutwister 9 years, 10 months ago

Clutch- I am celebrating two things: KU finally getting humbled, and a KSU victory. Grow up and learn to type whole words and sentences and quit using text slang, or is that what they teach you at KU? Basketball tradition at KU yes, football no. I am done gloating hope to see you all during football. By the way KU basketball did have a good season like I said before just ended sooner than expected.

tboss21 9 years, 10 months ago

First of all, Sherron yes we need to see him. Cole, heck no, what has he done all year, nothing!!!! Cole was the biggest dud of '10. He had so much hype, but didn't do a thing. As far as X goes, NBA, I say NOWAY. This kid needs more time. I love the Jayhawks, but lets be honest, Cole was more of a hype then he proved to be all season long. Tonight came down to not being ready. Cole came back for a reason, to go down in history, well son, you will.....As one of the worst loses in NCAA history.

tboss21 9 years, 10 months ago

tboss21 9 years, 10 months ago

tboss21 9 years, 10 months ago

OH AND BY THE WAY.....GET YOUR TOOTH FIXED......WTF!!!!!!!!!

BayJayhawk 9 years, 10 months ago

melrank (anonymous) says… I wonder if all these first time posters would be on the bandwagon if we'd won it all next week?

Disgusting if these really are "fans"!

Can you run for office or do we need to clean it out before the campaign? You can make a lot of powerful friends with that kinda talk!

BayJayhawk 9 years, 10 months ago

Disgusting if these really are "fans"!

clutchjayhawk10 9 years, 10 months ago

ksutwister-hah wat tradition do u got in football? none

tboss21 9 years, 10 months ago

Hey BAYJAYHAWK...we didnt win. we looked horrible. this is a disgracful night for jayhawk fans everywhere. No excuses these kids played like crap.

nwbball11 9 years, 10 months ago

cole and henry you got to stay in college the NBA is fun in all but you get payed to lose and win and yes its fun to get paid but you guys need to stay we need a championship next year

ghostinthePhog 9 years, 10 months ago

No matter what some of these fair-weather fans say I have to say great season hawks. One game doesn't define a whole season. Yeah it's a tough one to swallow but some of you people postin' on here need to give these guys a break, they gave their all the entire season and we as Jayhawk faithful put a lot of pressure on these young kids. Cole and Xavier don't owe anyone anything, it's their decision whether or not to leave and one that will ultimately impact their entire lives. Yeah I would love to see them stay, but don't put anymore pressure on these guys than you already have.

Trey Hohman 9 years, 10 months ago

I feel like committing a hate crime right now.

namder 9 years, 10 months ago

We ran up against a buzz saw today. It sucked, but it's something that happens at this level every so often. If anyone can say that they didn't see this looming on the horizon then you need to get a better grip on reality. This was a really good team in a year where there is no great teams. Take nothing away from their acomplishments. But what happened today is reality slapping us all in the FACE. As far as who will be here next year? It's not a question to be answered tonight. It's not whose ready, but what whose stock has risen high enough . Oh well, the same questions present themselves every year.

Kansasfanforever 9 years, 10 months ago

Don't blame the coaching staff for not having them ready. Bill Self is one of the best coaches in the country, we just had to many turnovers that led to points for them. They were making contested shoots granted we could have played better defense but don't blame Self for not having them ready we just didn't have it tonight.

Tony Bandle 9 years, 10 months ago

You heard it first right here, besides Sherron, Cole and Xavier being gone, count Tyshawn as a transfer, Teahan as a football player and CJ following on his brother's coattails. Carl can't be in two places at once, so it will be the NBA to watch X with CJ by his side.

Still, next year will it be Mario, Royce, Travis and Josh/Brandon joining up. Add T-Rob, EJ and Jeff getting their shots and Marcus, Markieff, Tyrel and Brady returning and we'll be reloading for another run!!

The only thing that truly pisses me off is that the happiest man in America tonight is Coach Calamari. He knows the only guy who could beat him is gone. It's going to be hell listening to the UK fans all next year. Heck, I might even have to cheer for Duke against them!!!

Steve Brown 9 years, 10 months ago

turnovers. ugh.

this season came to really admire this team, very young, maybe over rated but full of piss & vinegar & confidence especially on the road winning the conference.

two coaches interviewing the last couple weeks, should be for after the season, have a single focus until season end.

our senior didn't make senior decisions. 63 teams end in heartache doesn't make ours less painful. can't wait till next year, and who ever needs to go, I'm for them, glad if they stay and happy for them if they see fit to go to next steps.

Hank Cross 9 years, 10 months ago

BigHawk- You're right. This may be the worst tourney loss in the Brown/Williams/Self era. Even UTEP had Tim Hardaway and Ariz went on to win the Nat'l Champ. NI is going to be torn to pieces next round.

I like how people blame the team for lack of aggression when Self's system does nothing to force the tempo offensively or defensively. It's only going to be worse next year as Brady and Reed start while Relefoed wonders on the bench why he didn't transfer this year.

tstanlick1909 9 years, 10 months ago

Sherron already said it, Cole is gone. X knows he should stay, you could tell how unconfident he was at time this year. It's up to Carl Henry now.

I think X leaves. Tyshawn along with the Morris twins become the lead guys. Elijah and TRob are second string with Mario Little at the 3.

Skoomlaash 9 years, 10 months ago

Wow hard loss. The guys need to look back at this year and make the choice from their year game play. I would be good for them to stay, and for this upcoming year I hope this experience this year brings back that fire and determination to be a great hard playing basketball team.

Scott Bonnet 9 years, 10 months ago

Good luck with whatever you decide to do with your lives boys. I'll take a 32-3 season anytime. It was fun while it lasted.

Lance Hobson 9 years, 10 months ago

Let X go. The drama and selfishness his family brought to Lawrence was the last thing we needed. We would have gone farther with less talent and better cohesion. One and dones don't do it for KU. What was missing for this team was heart and chemistry. The Henrys hurt us in both of those areas.

gardenjay 9 years, 10 months ago

We have a good coaching staff. But like all good professionals, they need to adapt and change, which is what makes them good. If there is no adaptation going on, then no, you cannot blame it on an awesome or lucky opponent. If KU was adapting, then you can blame it on an awesome or lucky opponent.

It seemed like KU was either tired, or just flummoxed. Their gigantic players seemed to wear KU out. Those tatoos were sure tough-looking, especially those colorful ones on that big giant while guy. He was like a big tree that planted itself in different places just so players had to move around him. Which took a lot of time (a big tree). Sigh.

arcticjhawk 9 years, 10 months ago

HOLY S#*T. The horn hasnt gone off less than 24 hours ago , and you people are already talking about this?

Spencer Goff 9 years, 10 months ago

Cole is as NBA ready as he is going to get. As much as I hate to say it, one more year won't do Cole professionally any good.

Xavier, that is another story. Can he hit jumpers in the NBA, sure. But who is he going to guard at the 2 or 3 right now at that level that isn't going to torch him? Is he Kobe ready? Is he Melo ready? Is he ready to score with Ron Artest in his shorts? No, nope, and probably not.

Xavier needs one or two more years, then let him loose and watch him go.

Off topic, but am I the only person that wishes Taylor would declare or transfer? I see him as a head case. He is good at twittering and hosting "Fight Night at the Burge" so far in his college career.

JacquesMerde 9 years, 10 months ago

The scout who recommends these players or the GM who hires them for the NBA ought to be fired. THEY ARE NOT READY!!!!! Let their daddies get better jobs for next year.

Mike Gammill 9 years, 10 months ago

Yeah, right. Both of you had better jump while your stock is at its highest!

Mike Crosbie 9 years, 10 months ago

Thanks for a great season...no matter how we fans feel, the team I'm sure feels worse. Remember it's just a game....I found out my grandfather had cancer the day we played Duke in the final game back in the 90's, and you know, as hard as we tried to watch the game...it didn't really matter....I'm proud of them no matter what !!

Regarding the early departures for the NBA, one thing I have not heard anybody talk about is that the Owners have already said there will be a lock out next season since the players union contract is up for renewal.....therefore any undergrad that leaves for the NBA now will not be playing ANYWHERE next year....and not drawing a paycheck either....so look for most to come back for another year ??

KEITHMILES05 9 years, 10 months ago

Quite frankly I found it highly, highly disturbing ANY reporter would ask these guys about their future. Talk about low class. If I was one of those guys I'd had spit on the reporter. Have you no more courtesy and common sense to ask such a question after a devastating loss? Talk about being stupid and self serving, my goodness. Reporters are like sucking vultures. You can be low class and it showed last night, even on the post game KU show. I was appalled when I heard those questions. Shame on you!

Gerard Martinez 9 years, 10 months ago

Great season Jayhwaks! I want to congradulate the Jayhawks for great season especially Sherron. I also would like to see Xavier and Cole return next season. NBA can wait one more year. This gives you more time to improve your game.

KULA 9 years, 10 months ago

Go ahead and go, fellas. Unfortunately, Bill Self's (lack of) offense offers you no opportunity to improve your stock. Besides, if Cole stays, Self will waste another year of Withey's eligibility. What a wasted year for Jeff. Anyone remember how good we looked against Iowa State with Cole/Jeff running the high low? What a waste of a player. Just because Self couldn't think outside his predetermined box. Just go, Bill. And take your dumb 1950's Okie ball with you. Your coaching skills are better suited for a mid major. The game has changed. This is the 21st century & you need a new system for an elite program with elite athletes. If you have any questions, watch Kentucky play. That's how you play with elite athletes. And that's how you get elite athletes to come to your school.

balley1 9 years, 10 months ago

I don't know why everyone is saying, "Great season Jayhawks!" This season was like a good book that you can't put down. After weeks of reading this incredible book you come to the end only to find the worst ending of any book you've ever read. I don't care how great a book is if the ending is horrible, sorta ruins the whole thing right? This game made me sick to my stomach, and I still can't figure out why our team couldn't pull it together. With this loss, the whole season just seems like a cruel joke that built up my expectations just to crush them into the ground. This team has let us down in a historical way. And as far as X and Cole going to the NBA, what a joke! These guys both failed to show they are ready for the big leagues. Cole can't even be counted on to hit shots that are all of a foot or two away. He reminds me of the big "O" back in the day, always missing what should be easy shots. The only difference is that Ostertag would rebound his missed shots until he finally made them. Cole is kidding himself if he thinks he deserves to play in the NBA, as well as X. X is going to need at least another year of development at KU before he's ready. This season was nothing more than an epic failure.

Lance Hobson 9 years, 10 months ago

Just let X go. The Henrys are out for themselves and it hurt our cohesiveness this year. His one year at KU will be forgotten forever.

brooksmd 9 years, 10 months ago

ksutwister...classless, huh? How many chickens ya'll taking to the regionals? That's what you consider class?

Doug Merrill 9 years, 10 months ago

I never realized how glad I was that Mario hit the big shot in 2008 before this. If he had missed, I am sure we would have gotten to read this same silliness about what a tragic waste THAT season was.

masshole2 9 years, 10 months ago

I live in New England but am a staunch Jayhawk bb fan. Cole is not ready for the NBA, but another year will not help him. If he stays, it is because he loves KU. X is not at all ready, no matter what Dad whispers in his ear. Taylor should either go or stay...but do something quickly.

Now, let me ask you folks something. Last year we got to the Sweet 16 with basically the same team. We add X and don't make it out of the first weekend. Do you see a correlation there? Did he destroy team chemistry with his pre-season antics and maybe other antics that we do not know about. Think about it. We were a better team before he came, weren't we? And a worse team afterwards.

If Cole and X go to the NBA, are we really worse off than we are now? I don't see it. Sign some decent guards and let's get rolling in 2011. It can't be worse than this, can it?

Maybe we need some addition by subtraction? Keep the faith.

balley1 9 years, 10 months ago

You are dead wrong dougmd. If Mario had not made that last second 3, we could at least say we made it to the championship. I don't know why you can't see how loosing in the second round to a nobody is not a waste of a championship team.

hellarockchalk 9 years, 10 months ago

The next blind idiot that says " we just ran into a really hot team" needs to be banned from this board and admitted to the looney bin for insufferable denial. With the size, depth, weapons this team had, it doesn't matter how good a team was shooting the game before.....we had the talent to silence it! Period! Anyone who says otherwise is insane and looking for excuses. Do you honestly think the kids play to hopefully have a good regular season and maybe have a good showing in the post season??? They play for the PRIZE people! Especially at a school such as Kansas. The effort should always be 100% at every stage of the game, not 100% in 10% of the game. As a fan don't you give 100% of your spirit to helping anyway you can to get your team fired up and excited? YES, should be your answer! That being said, when the players only give 10% of their hearts towards a game, while the loyal fans give 100% of themselves for 100% of the game.........it's a slap in our faces. The way I see it, they slapped us in the face more than once this season and twice being in this tourney. I love this school and all that is rich in its tradition, but I can't let myself believe that this last team gave it all for us. Coaches included. The coaches had plenty of time to impose our will on them and they decided to let the fat non-athletic farm animals dictate the game. I like Self, but hate his percentage type outlook on opponents. With a team like the one we had, they should have never worried about percentages and just flat out ran teams to death and off the court. 3 to 4 major losses as a 1seed, most of any D1 school....thats a pretty bad percentage and hopefully opens some eyes to let the race horses run when race horses are recruited!

kuflick 9 years, 10 months ago

anyone saying this season is a bust is out of their minds. we may have not gone near as far in the tourney as we had hoped and obviously should have, but we beat a very good kstate team 3 times, beat missouri twice, and was ranked number 1 for most of the year. the season wasn't a bust, the tournement was. everyone has their opinion about every player on the jayhawk squad but whether or not you like the individuals if you are a true fan of the team you will support them through thick and thin.

newyorkjayhawk 9 years, 10 months ago

If Cole would leave now he'd be a lottery pick, easily. If he stayed and worked on his offensive aggressiveness and midrange game, he could be a top 4 or 5 pick.

If Xavier left, he'd be a potential lottery to mid-first rounder. If he stayed, he could work on his power dribble to the basket and creating his own shot, along with focusing on playing both offense AND defense cohesively in the same game. If he puts those pieces together, we're looking at a top 7-10 pick.

Both of these kids are GREAT right now and they could make millions right now. If they left, there's no reason to blame them. They brought us to a 33-3 record and gave us another big 12 title and #1 ranking. For those who think this season was a disappointment, ask yourselves if you've ever had a bad day. If you've been completely perfect your whole life then good for you, continue bashing a team that does nothing but work very hard. For those who can be real and just look in the mirror and see that blemish or two, then realize that you're not perfect and neither is anybody else. Michael Jordan made some great shots in his day, but he wasn't ALWAYS successful, and if he wasn't perfect, then don't expect a bunch of 18-23 year olds to be either. Calm down, it's just a game, these kids worked REALLY hard and deserve thanks for representing us with class.

Ralster, you're right on point - our team next year is going to be sick. If Cole and Xavier leave, we'll miss both, along with Collins, as each of them were brilliant. Meanwhile, Mario and Releford back only means trouble for everyone else (they can both slash, Mario can avoid any box out to grab a rebound, and Releford is excellent at penetration). Whithey is supposedly better defensively than Cole and that's just horrifying (if he beefs up, we'll be 4 deep at the post - we were only 3 deep this yr). TRob is raw but with an offseason of conditioning and work on his free throws and fundamentals, he'll be amazing. If the Morris twins continue their trajectory, both should will be awesome and Marcus will get consideration for NCAA's All-American team. Meanwhile, Reed, Brady, CJ, and Tyshawn will combine for a VERY experienced and mature back court, with Taylor being the youngest as a Junior and most athletic, Reed and CJ capable of going shot for shot, and Brady being the best passer. Add EJ and Woolridge and, uh, someone might have to redshirt,... and then the wings with Releford and Little ready to tear it up... holy cow,... combine Syracuse's maturity of this season with the athleticism of this year's Kansas squad and you have KU's 2010/11 roster! If Xavier and Cole stay, that's just scary... without them, it's already 12 deep, and with them, someone already has to redshirt, and who knows if Selby, Lamb, or Knight comes on in. HOLY COW!!!! I'll miss Sherron terribly and best of luck to him, but we have TONS to look forward to.

David Howell 9 years, 10 months ago

Too many people failed to see how poorly we played as a team down the last third of the season. Very predictable offense with a bunch of individuals on the floor instead of a team of five. We kept getting by with poor play and most everyone viewed it as an anomoly and put another bandaid on it .............. To me watching teams like UNI, Saint Marys and Cornell play was very refreshing. No real talent of note, but teams filled with pure shooters and young men playing as a team driving to the bucket and hitting the open man. We've always run a three-point arc offense with no real imagination.

I selfishly want Cole to stay as he could stand to work on his offensive game. As for X, let him go pro. He had some notable games, but as a whole he was almost a bust as a supposed one and done. And don't get me started about his defense !

I think we will be okay next year. If they all stick around and take the offseason and summer seriously we should be improved next year. God knows they have no reason to have big heads now. I can't say if or how many more five star recruits we can get. It depends on who leaves and how many. However, our dismal performance and finish this year can't help us at all.

I for one am ready for Releford to break out next year !

JacquesMerde 9 years, 10 months ago

kuflick.. . Polls are a bunch of B.S. The pollsters see only a few games and a few teams each week and some for most of the season.

newyorkjayhawk .. . What are you smoking? I could use some of that.

kidjayhawk 9 years, 10 months ago

Am I the only one excited about Jeff Withey?

This guy showed promise in the 10 minutes he played all season. It's hard to show what he can do in mop up work as the point is to eat up the clock.

But he had some good blocks and had a nice running hook.

hawksrock0434 9 years, 10 months ago

Sherron i love you to death, but since you are the leader on this team, you should convince Henry and Cole what it does to stay another year in college and help your Kansas Jayhawks win another national title

newyorkjayhawk 9 years, 10 months ago

jacques -

not sure what you disagree with regarding my post, but i'm throwing out a comparison to help explain my point. i hate comparing players because no two guys are alike and one year's draft will value certain qualities that other drafts will completely ignore. But look at the comparison between Brandon Rush and Xavier Henry... the likeness between the two is uncanny... stats could go either way, and frankly i haven't analyzed them but from a playing style and strengths/weaknesses perspective, they're very similar. Neither put the ball on the floor nearly as much as they should've, both had GREAT outside shots, and both displayed promise but not consistent execution from the defensive side (freshman year only). Rush might be a better athlete, but I think X is a better shooter. overall, the body types are similar, and the style of play is virtually identical. Had Rush left earlier than after '08, he wouldn't have been as strong, consistent, reliable and defensive minded as he was when he did leave. X has the same issues, where he needs to put the ball on the floor more, he needs to play defense more consistently and bulking up more wouldn't hurt. Both might have top 10 rankings after freshman year in the draft, and X might slip to the bottom of the lottery if he stays longer, but a fuller NBA career could be a shoe-in compared to things being much more up in the air as it stands currently. Think Julian Wright vs Rush at this point. Rush is starting, logging 30+ minutes, scoring double digits since his promotion, and is getting better with the longer NBA 3. Meanwhile he's a defensive asset, and the Pacers are valuing him for all those qualities. Wright is riding the pine and might never get regular time to contribute. A few extra years of college could do X some good. That's where I'm coming from.

Go Jayhawks.

MountainLyin 9 years, 10 months ago

They both should come back, first and foremost because getting to play at KU is a special honor and experience that can never be retrieved later. And secondly because neither of them showed any valid proof on Saturday that they are even close to ready for the NBA. Kirk Hinrich and Nick Collison...best duo in recent KU history!

sdku 9 years, 10 months ago

Everyone is saying for Cole and Henry to stay, I say let them go The chemistry of the team didn't work down the stretch. Cole and X should go to the NBA and get their money. Time to start over and get Withey, Robinson, EJ, Little, the twins, Taylor, Morningstar, Releford, and Reed ready for 2010. I'm excited to see Whitney play and think he will be a offensive threat immediately. Robinson will come along, the Twins will be stronger, EJ is super fast, Taylor will get better at shooting and maybe we will have the chemistry to shove games down teams throats. EJ is the new future, you've heard it here first.

Goldenhawk 9 years, 10 months ago

Cole ready for the NBA? What a joke! He was out played by 2 guys that would look good at a YMCA gym. They both had a combined vertical leap of 6" and shut him down.