Sunday, March 14, 2010

Pullen, KSU dejected after loss

Kansas forward Markieff Morris, left, and center Cole Aldrich get physical with Kansas State guard Jacob Pullen going for a rebound during the second half Saturday in Kansas City, Mo.

Kansas takes Big 12 tournament title

The Kansas University men's basketball team will enter the NCAA tournament on a high note after defeating Kansas State to take the Big 12 tournament title.

Audio clips

Big 12 championship: KU-KSU

Reader poll

Assuming Duke is the fourth No. 1 seed, which team do you not want to see as a No. 2 seed in KU's bracket?

• West Virginia 25% 771 votes
  • Ohio State 16% 497 votes
  • Purdue 13% 420 votes
  • New Mexico 5% 175 votes
  • Kansas State 29% 899 votes
  • Villanova 7% 223 votes
  • Other 2% 82 votes

3067 total votes.

— Jacob Pullen left the court quickly following Kansas State’s 72-64 loss Saturday to Kansas University. He couldn’t stand to see what was going on around him.

The KSU guard didn’t need to be told that confetti was streaming down, that Big 12 championship hats and T-shirts were being distributed.

He’d already seen the celebration before.

“I’m daydreaming about it all the time,” Pullen said. “I’m daydreaming about it in class. I’m daydreaming about it on the bus. I always have daydreams — last few seconds, buzzer beater, cutting down nets. It doesn’t always go like that.”

When Pullen entered the locker room, the KU fans’ cheers thundered through the walls. The emotions hit Pullen all at once.

The leading scorer on the ninth-ranked team in the country broke down and started crying.

“It hurts when you walk past them,” Pullen said, eyes still moist. “They’ve got on shirts and hats and stuff. That’s what we wanted. That’s what was right there for us. We just didn’t get it.”

The previous day, Pullen had talked about wanting to get a ring. He’d never gotten one. Teammate Denis Clemente had never gotten one, either.

“If we would have lost yesterday or the day before, we wouldn’t have hurt so bad. It’s, ‘Oh well,’” Pullen said. “But you got all the way here, and it’s right there in your grasp, and we just couldn’t get it.”

Though KSU coach Frank Martin said he isn’t one for moral victories, he still couldn’t fault the effort of his team.

“We brought the fight to the fight,” Martin said. “Sometimes you go 15 rounds, and you hit, and you throw the last punch, and the judges don’t think it was quite good enough. And that’s kind of what happened to us tonight.

“It just wasn’t quite good enough. So we’ve got to go train some more and get ready for that next fight.”

Martin received a hug from KU’s Sherron Collins after the game in the handshake line. The KSU coach had nothing but praise for the senior guard afterward.

“There ain’t too many guys playing the game like him. There ain’t too many guys winning like he does,” Martin said. “That’s the biggest attribute that you can have. Not what you look in a picture or what you look running up and down or what people think that you’re supposed to look like.

“What he does, that’s the biggest attribute you can have. I’ve got an unbelievable amount of respect for Sherron.”

Comments

davelass 10 years, 2 months ago

Before this last comment by Martin, I was a fan. I'm sorry...but even as a diehard Jayhawk, you can't help but smile at the job he has done, bringing the fire back to K-State, giving KU quality wins even without having to beat a talented KU. I will root for Kansas on the national level as a state every day of the week, twice on Sunday's. Now, fellas, 3 down, 6 to go....to quote a favorite of mine.."The only quesition you have left to answer is...can you be perfect? Can you? Rock Chalk.

waywardJay 10 years, 2 months ago

Frank Martin may look like a cartoon character. But he is one hell of a coach.

three words of fear.... Junior Jacob Pullen.

He'll be a senior, very soon. Samuels will be back, wally judge will be back. This is ateam that is going to be VERY good next year also. With a similiar chip on their shoulder that we had this year.

92KUHawk 10 years, 2 months ago

Speaking as a HS coach, and not as a Jayhawk, my heart goes out to Pullen and those players in the "other" locker room...kids who give it all they have yet come up a little short have no reason to hang their heads...(I guess I've matured over my 41 years on this planet as my heart goes out to Pullen and the seniors from KSU...AND the coaches who's hearts bleed for their players...did I REALLY just say I feel for anyone in the KSU program?)...speaking as a Jayhawk, I wonder, do we realize how blessed we are? How many programs deliver the way ours does? ROCK CHALK!

fansincewilt 10 years, 2 months ago

The question of the day is who do you not want to face in your regional. I voted KSU even though I realize they won't be in our regional. The truth is: I don't want to face them again. Their win over Baylor revealed talent with toughness. Martin has that kind of mentality. Some might argue that Texas has as good of talent as anyone in the league. What they lack is toughness and chemistry. When a coach can get talented players to play together and have that mental toughness, that is going to be a difficult team to dispose of in the tournament. Even though I don't want to see them again, I will have KSU penciled in to get all the way to the Final Four - something I really don't want to see. However, I don't know how he does it but Self gets more chemistry out of his players than others. These players want to win more than they want personal success. Aldrich is a prime example. I think he would prefer to stay next year than go to the NBA. However, it doesn't make a lot of sense to turn down the millions he could earn. I made a statement the other night against A&M when things looked pretty bad that Self knew exactly what he was doing. I got chewed out by others but Self knows how to coach kids. Others are going to begin to study his methods and teams across the nation will begin to follow the Self methods. It's more than the X's and O's.

AsadZ 10 years, 2 months ago

Frank Martin is a real nice person. I gained a lot of respect for him when he gave a hug after the KU-KSU game in Lawrence (senior night) to Sherron. This guy can coach too.

IBRONNIEB 10 years, 2 months ago

I watched some video of the KSU players in their locker room after the game. How hard they took the defeat, and I see a team at the brink of taking the next step. I hate to give KSU credit for anything, anything, but respect is earned!! That team is good, very good.

In the past their pain would have been my pleasure. But I found myself almost feeling sorry for them. They left it all on the floor, and it wasnt enough, anyone else know that feeling? Been there a few times in the FF. That Syracuse thing still hurts.

Having said that, KU just refused to lose... Sherron is one hell of a leader. You cant measure how much that means this time of year. They are a true TEAM. You may beat one, but you cant beat a team. At least not very easily. And not without a fight.

Good luck KSU, that is until, or if, we see you again. Go HAWKS, you give the effort like last night, and I think the results will be exceptional!!!!! Step on the throat when you get the chance, 6 more times. One big goal left to reach.

docileboy 10 years, 2 months ago

KSU didn't really expect to win, did they?

Robert Brock 10 years, 2 months ago

We had better enjoy our time. If Frank Martin sticks around, the Wildcats are going to get tougher and tougher.

Otownhawker 10 years, 2 months ago

I can't believe what im reading. Do u think that kstate would care if we lost? Im tired of u guys being fans of rivals. I would cheer for anyone over kstate and im not even kidding. Go love Roy some more people. U guys also like Mike Anderson. WHY? Just because someone has class doesn't mean he is a good person. U guys buy MU shirts to? Ur probably the same fans that leave early at KU games to. Frank Martin is a JOKE u know what? bring on

JUNIOR JACOB PULLEN

Im not afraid of anybody. And I would LOVE to play and BEAT ksu again. 4 times in one season? My goodness that would be great. And I got some more news for u guys. As long as tyrel reed is around...WE WON'T LOSE TO MU OR KSU.

not one of u guys mentioned the ku winning. Just how hard ksuck played. sorry people I WANT TO STEP ON THEIR THROATS.

Steve Brown 10 years, 2 months ago

Frank Martin has intensity and will help the BIG 12.

Sherron is Da Man. Funny we were aruguing a month ago where he stood in all time KU guards, I'd offer he is rising on everyone's charts, even the detractors like myself.

JoJo don't look back.....the sound you hear is Darnell sayin' 'welcome newbie'

Tom Gillaspie 10 years, 2 months ago

I have to agree with Otownhawker, in the sense that I will save any sympathy for K-State when they lose to someone else. Never any remorse when we beat them. Pullen is a good player, but I'm always reminded of what my brother pointed out - he is maybe the sneakiest little s**t in college basketball. Clemente will never get my respect -too much of a hothead. We will see how Martin is doing a couple years down the road. For now it is nice to see the rivalry mean something. But not to the point I will ever feel bad about stomping them every time we play.

MrPilot 10 years, 2 months ago

Martin better hope KSU stays up at this level. If they come out and have a "Texas-like" season next year, expect some former player to come out of the woodwork and say that Martin chocked him in practice, then it's bye bye Frankie. We've seen this all before.

Jeremy Paul 10 years, 2 months ago

I have absolutely no respect for Frank Martin. He's an abusive jerk. And as a KU fan I must say I love it! Seeing him scream and curse at Pullen during a time-out last night--I'm sure potential recruits saw that and had to question if they really want to play for a guy like that.

Pullen is a great player and does seem to be a classy guy. I thought it was cool seeing him, Collins, and Reed chatting and laughing as Marcus was lining up to shoot some free throws. As much as we live and die with the Hawks, it really is just a game and it was refreshing to see those guys respecting each other and enjoying the competition while in the heat of battle.

The guy who really scares me is Wally Judge. He's a beast and will definitely be a force for them in the coming years.

lawrencefan 10 years, 2 months ago

Nice pep talk, Otown. No question that deep down, you are correct. Every time KSU got closer than eight points down, I did a split personality thing with restrained enthusiasm for them keeping it close, but silently urging the Jayhawks to go on one of their patented runs. It's always going to be KU first, no matter how much tuition money I throw down the silo in Manhattan, but I will always have a "pry it out of me" appreciation for Frank Martin and his cast of hungry warriors. KU will always be the better team with Bill Self as our head coach; but thanks to an improved KSU program, and eventually, (and this really pains me to even suggest this) and improved MU (sucks) program under Mike Anderson, KU will only get better with those other thugs pushing us. I will always bleed crimson and blue, but I respect how Coach Martin and his team has done so much to make the Big 12 in general and college basketball in the state of Kansas specifically, the powerhouses they are.

Otownhawker 10 years, 2 months ago

I hate seeing players laugh and joke on the court, especially in a rivalry game only leading by eight points. I don't understand why ku fans are obsessed wiith "class". Yea its nice to have but against kstate...not so much. BTW Wally Judge BLOWS HARD. Guys, KU will probably have just as good of season next year as we do this one. Stop jumping on board with kstate.

Still no one has said anthing about how good we played yesterday. just about that ksuck left everything on the floor. blah blah blah if u ask me, not enough players from kstate cried. Frank Martin is scum for some reason people think Wally Judge is good (still haven't figured that one out) pullen is not as good as tyshawn taylor. Why are we ever scared of kstate? someone please answer me on that one.

you people suck

Alec White 10 years, 2 months ago

Otown, I think that's why Kansas basketball fans are generally considered the best fans in college basketball. A few years ago with Huggins as coach you would've never read posts like the ones above. But we respect hard work and just like Coach Self said, "There wasn't much trash talking, just mutual respect." So why cant we, as fans, show that respect right back? My opinion of Martin as a person and coach has done a complete 180 in the last few years. He doesn't strike me as someone who will go take a job because it offers more money---I think he wants to finish what he started at K-State. That being said, I think he should take a chill pill on the sidelines (his berating of Pullen yesterday was hard to watch). But his players respect him so I will too (at least until he kills one of his own :)

okiedave 10 years, 2 months ago

I agree with KUfaninPA. Martin does not realize that humiliating his players in front of 18,000 fans and on national TV is not going to sell well with potential recruits. Martin is a very good coach and obviously he takes pride in his intensity, but his downfall is going to be his focusing intense rage on a particular player in public. Recruits will think twice about coming into that environment.

SDSurferFan 10 years, 2 months ago

Easy for KU fans to say that after the third win vs this team.

I do agree. I like KState and will root for them in the tourney, I wouldn't want KU to have to beat them 4xs in one year.

I hope this means Collins is primed for NCAAs, he seems to be.

T minus-5 hrs 15 min to selection sunday.

MDHawk 10 years, 2 months ago

I have to agree with Rock_Chalk...true rivalries require respect. I respect K-State, and their effort last night...hell, I respect their effort all season. I'm divided on Otown's comments...we should always root for our team, and other teams don't really want or need pity, but having no respect for your rival is juvenile, something I'd expect from K-State fans rather than KU fans.

Otown is right that K-State fans wouldn't have felt sorry for us, had they won last night...I know too many of them. However, we're not K-State fans, we're KU fans. I don't find it necessary to act like K-State fans and don't feel the need to rub it in. A team as dominant as ours, rubbing it would just make us look pompous and arrogant. True rivals should respect each other, but don't have to like each other. I'll root for K-State, the Big XII...but always KU first. I like K-State as a team, but can also agree with Otown, sometimes their fans make it hard to respect them as a rival.

At any rate, 6 more games, boys. I'm ready for another downtown celebration...

jhokfan 10 years, 2 months ago

Won't be surprised if these teams meet again. How many times did Gtown beat Nova in 8? before Nova beat them in the title game?

Dan Pawlowski 10 years, 2 months ago

I believe most KU fans are "obsessed" with class because they have class and would like other folks ( on both sides of the ball) to show the same amount of class and respect their opponents. Another term for it is good sportsmanship. Just because your opponent demonstrates poor sportsmanship does not mean you need to stoop to their level. Haven't you heard the cliche but true statement "Show yourself to be the better man". You don't have to belittle your opponent to win.

jhokfan 10 years, 2 months ago

I’m kind of old school when it comes to sports, I like to see good sportsmanship but unfortunately that’s not always the case. Too many athletes today no longer are satisfied with winning unless they can degrade and humiliate their opponent at the same time. Some fans find it entertaining. I think the sport by itself is entertaining enough. I don’t get it.

As far as sportsmanship from fans, well that’s just too much to expect. If we had lost KSU fans would be all over this site like flies on dog excrement. I have no doubt that KU fans are posting trash on the Manhattan Mercury and KC Star as I type these words. I think KU fans for the most part are classy and respectful but like all fan bases there are some pretty classless ones as well.

Winning is the ultimate trump card, once you beat your opponent what else needs to be said?

2piecespicy 10 years, 2 months ago

OTown.....it sounds to me like you have LESS class than Demarcus Cousins. What's wrong with having respect for your opponent.....even if it is KSUck (as you say it)?

Go away

hawkbono1313 10 years, 2 months ago

I still think Martin is going to Woody Hayes one of his players.

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 2 months ago

Martin reminds me off a young Bob Knight...At least in temperament if not in x's and o's. He has brought back respectability to Kansas State and hopefully as he matures he won't make the same mistakes that marred Knight's career. Now before anyone jumps down my throat, I am not saying Martin is in the same league as Knight but he is a heck of a lot better than I ever expected.

tical523 10 years, 2 months ago

Frank Martin is a good coach and a great motivator, and I have a lot of respect for him. State will be tough next year but take my word for it, Clemente is far more important to their team than Pullen. They are going to really miss Clemente next year, he gets Pullen many of his open threes and he simply keeps defenses off balance and forces them to help each other maybe just as much as Ty Lawson did at UNC. Samuels and Pullen are tough, but Clemente is the man on that team and I am happy to be done playing against him. Watch out for him in the NBA too, similar to Tony Parker but way ahead of him in respect to shooting the three.

hawksalltheway 10 years, 2 months ago

I really really dislike K-State but i have been really impressed with them this year!! Frank Martin is a good coach just has a diffferent way of coaching! I don't like K-State because they are arogent and their fans are rude and there actions in my book our uncalled for! But I am beginning to like K-State because they didn't have a very good basketball program and they are now stepping up their game! I don't dislike them as much as I did before! Way to go Martin!! ( But I'm a diehard KU basketball fan and always be!!)