Originally published March 14, 2010 at 07:50p.m., updated March 15, 2010 at 12:00a.m.

Kansas prepares road trip to Oklahoma City

Road Hawks: OKC

Following the Jayhawks to Oklahoma City? Check out our Road Hawks feature for info on the city

Audio clips

2010 Selection Sunday

Reader poll

What do you think of KU's draw in the NCAA Tournament?

• Extremely easy 1% 110 votes
  • Moderately easy 2% 164 votes
  • Not easy or hard 4% 279 votes
  • Moderately hard 42% 2449 votes
  • Extremely hard 46% 2655 votes
  • Undecided 0% 49 votes

5706 total votes.

Videos

KU earns NCAA tourney's top seed

video thumbnail

KU earns NCAA tourney's top seed

Videos

VIDEOS: Bill Self discusses NCAA Tournament

video thumbnail

Kansas head coach Bill Self discussed the team's seeding in the NCAA Tournament Sunday, March 14, 2010.

Kansas University’s first stop on the Road to the Final Four is 316 miles away, and plenty of Jayhawks plan to be making the trip down the Kansas Turnpike and Interstate 35.

The Jayhawks, the NCAA Tournament’s top overall seed, play at approximately 8:40 p.m. Thursday at the Ford Center in Oklahoma City. Their opponent: the Lehigh Mountain Hawks, No. 16 seed in the Midwest Region after winning both the Patriot League regular season and the postseason tournament.

People without access to KU’s official allotment of 350 tickets could be in for some competition. Also playing in Oklahoma City will be Kansas State, the No. 2 seed in the West Region. The Wildcats play against No. 15 North Texas.

KU's road trip

The bus carrying the Kansas Jayhawks into the NCAA Tournament leaves Tuesday from Allen Fieldhouse.

“We will definitely travel to Oklahoma City, bus there, on Tuesday, early afternoon, and try to get settled in by the dinner hour and then be ready to do whatever the NCAA requires us to do the next day,” Coach Bill Self said Sunday evening, discussing his team’s travel plans.

The NCAA requires each team to be available for media interviews the day before each game, and to conduct a public practice.

The Jayhawks’ public practice is set for 5:10 p.m. to 5:50 p.m. Wednesday at Ford Center.

The scene will be familiar, and not just to hometown Jayhawks C.J. and Xavier Henry. When KU has played previously in Oklahoma City, pregame pep rallies have filled Bricktown Brewery with crimson and blue.

Once again, festivities will be set to begin at the two-level restaurant and bar well before before Thursday’s tipoff, giving people ample time to make it to Ford Center. Expect the pep band to belt out “I’m a Jayhawk,” the Spirit Squad to lead cheers and Kansas University Alumni Association representatives to be handing out Jayhawk stickers.

A KU victory would lead to a gathering for alumni and fans at an as-yet-undetermined time Friday at RedPin Restaurant & Bowling Lounge, the traditional site for the alumni association’s regular-season watch parties.

The Jayhawks’ opponent in the second round would be either No. 8 UNLV or No. 9 Northern Iowa, for a chance to advance to the regionals in St. Louis. ’Hawks fans with an eye on history might be hungry for a repeat: Two years ago KU beat UNLV in the second round to advance to regionals and an eventual national championship.

Comments

jsmith725 7 years, 8 months ago

I attended a pep rally on the second floor of Bricktown Brewery at the Big 12 tournament three years ago, and swore I would never do that again. That second floor is a disaster waiting to happen - scared the bejesus out of me.

Alec White 7 years, 8 months ago

I know the experts are saying we have the toughest bracket considering the depth of the teams, but I actually think our road to the Final 4 isn't that much tougher than the other regionals. While it is true that we have Tennessee, Okie State, Georgetown, and Ohio State, only one of those teams can advance to play us in an Elite 8 game because they are on the bottom side of our bracket (assuming we win our first three). Ohio State doesn't scare me nearly as much as Georgetown, considering they go 6 deep and their most physical player besides Dallas Lauderdale (who is only 6-8) is Evan Turner. Also, Michigan State is lacking something this year and considering our improvement I think we take them out. Georgetown is the team that really bothers me----outstanding guard play and Greg Monroe just might be one of the 5 best players in the nation. Anyways, I believe we have too much firepower and squeak out a win against the Hoyas. Your thoughts?

Alec White 7 years, 8 months ago

Update: I am now willing to bet my life we win the NC. Why? Dick Vitale picked UK to take us out in the championship game and he also picked Wall as POY. Apparently he tried to pick North Carolina to cut down the nets for the 63rd straight year and attempted to vote Tyler Hansbrough as POY for the fifth year in a row. And I didn't make that up (ok, maybe I did but it's conceivable right?). Anyway, the other three analysts (Hubert Davis, Digger Phelps, and Jay Bilas) picked us to win it all so we can't play the underdog role in the Final 4 like we did in 08'. Then again, I could completely envision UK swaying the media's opinion and becoming the "favorite" on their way to the championship game just like Memphis did two years ago.

sizehawk 7 years, 8 months ago

Rock_chalk_25 said it all. We don't have to play all of them; just those who are left.

Lex Valdez 7 years, 8 months ago

lets bring another title to the wheat land... rock chalk championship!

dchon 7 years, 8 months ago

Let's not talk about the what ifs and who we may play. When I think more of it, I don't think it will be too bad if we take each game one at a time.

well now that I said that.. I'll just say that I'm planning on rooting for UNLV for the first round. UNI scares the hell out of me..

KU1992 7 years, 8 months ago

We are only going to have to play Mich. State. or Maryland in our half of the bracket. All the scary teams are in the other half so we will only have to play one of ohio state, georgetown, Tenn, etc. So even though our bracket is tough it is potentially just as tough as anyone else. Also georgetown playing a hard game w/ ohio state right before they play us could be beneficial.

FSUJHAWK 7 years, 8 months ago

Based on our performance this year I think all our games will be difficult. With that off my chest I also think this team has all the tools needed to win it all. We just need to stay focus, no under estimating anyone, play within our means and go for the throat when we need to. We have the best team, coach and fans in the nation. Now let's go out there and prove it!!!

RCJHGKU!!!

gardenjay 7 years, 8 months ago

Thank you Danny Manning for setting a good example to our youth, that getting a college degree is really what it's all about. You can always make the bucks afterwards, then still land a good job after playing B-ball. Knowing that if you got injured, you have your degree and the respect of people who didn't even go to KU, even after all these years.

One and done, two and done, three and done is simply anti-collegiate. Also, here's to hoping Cole will finish his degree, and big kudos to Sherron for seeing it through.