Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Mother’s day: Senior Night special for Collins’ mom

Kansas guard Sherron Collins gets the Fieldhouse crowd on its feet after a put-back dunk by center Cole Aldrich during the second half.

A Sherron Collins retrospective: A timeline of the guard's career, shown through photos

A collection of almost 600 photos from Sherron Collins' years in Lawrence. March 3 marks the senior guard's final game at Allen Fieldhouse.

Sherron Collins — who readily admits to being a “mama’s boy” — tonight gives his mother the best present ever.

“Ever since his freshman year, I said, ‘I need my Senior Day,’’’ Collins’ mom, Stacey Harris, said at last year’s Kansas University basketball awards banquet — the one where Sherron said he was returning for his senior season.

“It’s not about basketball to me. You need an education, regardless,” Stacey added.

Collins, who will receive his degree in African American Studies this May, tonight will have the Senior Day stage to himself.

As KU’s only senior in the Class of 2010, he’ll be honored with Stacey before the 7 p.m. KU-K-State Sunflower Showdown, and grab the microphone and speak to mom and 16,299 others after the contest.

Sherron’s uncle/father figure, Walt Harris, recalls Stacey telling him many times that her dream was for her son to have a Senior Day celebration in Allen Fieldhouse.

“I think she got that from watching the seniors the year they won it (2008 national title). It influenced her a lot in wanting to see it, seeing how much they grew as a family,” Walt Harris said.

“I didn’t know it until I came down here the first time when he (Collins) was a freshman. It (KU) is a special place, like a family.”

Walt Harris, who works as a juvenile-division corrections officer in Chicago, took it upon himself to make sure his nephew made something of his life.

“I’ve seen a lot of kids go to the gym, others die in the streets. A lot didn’t make it. They ended up going to the penitentiary,” Walt said.

“For Sherron to come up in the neighborhood, the West side of Chicago and make it, is good.”

Walt — he’ll be in the fieldhouse stands tonight with Sherron’s mom, grandmother, daughter, aunts, uncles, cousins, high school coach and assorted friends — says the key to keeping Sherron on the path to KU was introducing him to sports.

“I started him with baseball. That’s his best sport, actually. He started playing at 7,” Walt said. “I knew he’d be a basketball player because before he was walking, he was in a walker bouncing a ball.”

Collins pitched, and played shortstop and the outfield at Chicago’s Crane High.

Relive Sherron Collins' favorite Fieldhouse memory

Sherron Collins discusses his most memorable game at Allen Fieldhouse, a 23-point, 8-for-14 performance in an 80-77 victory against Missouri. Included are highlights from the game, played Jan. 15, 2007.

“He had no-hitters in high school. I’m surprised he never played baseball at KU,” Walt Harris said. “Basketball season keeps him busy, but I wouldn’t mind him going out for the team. I think he can still throw it, hit it, field it.”

Collins said baseball “was my second sport — the one I loved most after basketball. I played so many positions. I was a pretty good pitcher. I got clocked at 90 (mph) two times. Sliding, getting dirty, it was fun.”

As a football wide receiver, Collins broke a Chicago Public League record with 250 receiving yards against Carver High his sophomore season.

“I think he could have been a good running back,” Walt Harris said.

Sherron agrees.

“I think I could have played college football,” he said. “I liked to hit, but not take the hits.”

Collins hopes to make his living playing basketball.

As coach Bill Self said, the 205-pound sparkplug is not as explosive as he was in high school when he concluded the McDonald’s All-America game with a spectacular dunk, but he’s “a better basketball player.”

Don’t hold your breath for Collins to conclude his home career with a similar jam.

“Everybody wants that to happen,” said Collins, who hasn’t dunked in a college game. “In high school, I loved dunking it so much. Now I think it takes way too much energy to do that. I’m 5-11. Two points is two points. You don’t get a point for style.”

He remembers a near dunk.

“My freshman year — the Niagara game in the (NCAA) Tournament — Russell (Robinson) threw me a lob. I tried to dunk it with two hands, but I just missed it. I was up high enough,” Collins said.

Collins to play final Fieldhouse game vs. K-State

Sherron Collins, who will play his final game at Allen Fieldhouse on Wednesday, will go down as one of the greatest guards in KU history.

Collins — he averages 15.3 points (off 42.2 percent shooting) per game with 126 assists against 66 turnovers — is currently considered a late-first- round NBA draft pick by draftexpress.com.

“He has a legitimate shot. I think they wanted to see him as a true point guard,” Walt Harris said of NBA officials. “He can do that. His shooting is a plus.”

“I think I can play in the NBA,” Collins said. “I think I’ve showed teams I can do everything a point guard can do.”

Like beat K-State in his final home game. The No. 2-ranked Jayhawks enter 27-2, 13-1; No. 5-KSU 24-4, 11-3.

“I think he’ll play even better because he’s got family here,” Walt Harris said. “I think he’s going to be pumped up and the team as a whole. They’ll be amped because of the last loss (Saturday at Oklahoma State) and they are at home. They know Kansas State is going to be good. I’ve seen them play. I like that team. They’re good.”

Win or lose, the postgame Senior Day show will go on.

“I tell him I know he’s gonna cry. He says he’s not,” Walt Harris said.

Comments

docileboy 9 years, 9 months ago

I'm happy for Sherron on Senior Night, but there is still a lot of unfinished business the Jayhawks need to take care of. Beating KSU would be a huge step in taking care of this.

Dyrk Dugan 9 years, 9 months ago

KU 79 KSU 67

Rockin and Chalkin with Sherron Collins and all his family/friends on Sr. Night. Thank you Sherron!

Andy Godwin 9 years, 9 months ago

Sherron (and Cole) thanks for the memories. It will not be a fun night unless KU takes care of business and defense their home court. A loss tonight would put KSU into the mix as a #1 seed in the NCAA. Take any such hope away tonight!

Mike Kendall 9 years, 9 months ago

AK----totally agree. Jacob Pullen is really shooting his mouth off. We need to give Frank's boys a little humbling experience! Go KU!!

Gene Jackson 9 years, 9 months ago

Live in Colorado - can't see that the game tonight (KU vs. K. State) is televised. Will it be on-line? How do you get it?

Ann Oneill 9 years, 9 months ago

Wheatwave, the game will be on ESPN Full Court and ESPN 360, I believe.

4jhawks4ku 9 years, 9 months ago

Jacob Pullen says they're gonna quiet the fieldhouse crowd tonight. Hmmmmmmm...I dont think they can do it. Not on Sherrons watch.

Sally Presson 9 years, 9 months ago

I'm sure Frank's boys are shooting off their mouths, so we need to shut them up!! I can't imagine the team allowing KState to win on Sherron's last home game. They are good, but just not as good as KU--never have been--never will be!! I can't begin to think of KU basketball with out Sherron. What a guy!!

Go KU--Stomp on the Cats early and keep your foot on their throat all night!!

vmwskywalk 9 years, 9 months ago

wheatwave, the game will be on Altitude and Fox RM.

KANSTUCKY 9 years, 9 months ago

Check online at justin.tv, someone usually has a live feed if your web carrier isn't in the ESPN monopoly.

Alec White 9 years, 9 months ago

Sherron...what a love-hate relationship most KU fans have with him. Many fans (definitely including myself) have proclaimed him the greatest point guard in Hawks' history one half and then the next half we are saying how overrated he is. But the fact is he is the winningest player that ever put on a jersey here at Kansas (and has been an integral part all 4 years). Both KU fans and Sherron have learned sooo much from each other since the kid with Chi-town arrived with a big ego and a big game. I know I could write all day about what Sherron has meant to our program but I'll try to narrow it down... What I've learned from Sherron 1. Talent is important, but heart is vital. 2. Someone's gotta take the last shot and I want it to be Sherron every time 3. He may not make the all-time talent team at Kansas, but no real KU fan can exclude him on a top 5 list of Jayhawks who impacted the program in a positive way.

I also think he can crack an NBA roster, mainly because of his range. Put him in a situation like Jameer Nelson with the Magic and Sherron could be a starting PG in the League. His range is unlimited, especially when stepping into a shot. I also think he will regain some of his explosiveness and athletic ability when he works out with the best trainers in the world...cause we know he wasn't getting that when he went back to Chicago the last two summers. Even if he gets spurned by teams in the draft, nothing will stop a snubbed Sherron (with two kids, keep that in mind) from getting a paycheck for playing basketball.

gardenjay 9 years, 9 months ago

Phogged! Can't you get the #(@#$(ing ideas out there without (@#$#ing up the $(# &@$#it? You have to be careful with these ba(#(#@$ who edit the posts; they're )(#@(#&)$@#*&@#$!!!

Steve Brown 9 years, 9 months ago

""Jacob Pullen says they're gonna quiet the fieldhouse crowd tonight.""

Wonder what he has in mind, as on the few occasions we get behind we are louder not softer.

Maybe from the 2:15 to 2:01 mark end of game yes, we get a little quiet just before the chant...

1:39 to go, up by 14 X comes out to standing O. 1:29 to go, up by 16 Cole comes out to standing O. 1:19 to go, up by 19 SC comes out to wildness.

How again does he have anything to do with our quietness...I musta missed somethin'

Steve Brown 9 years, 9 months ago

we need a student sign:

Frank Martin Miami Calling.

Robert Brock 9 years, 9 months ago

He's going to be on an NBA roster next year. There's no question he has the talent. He'll need to regain that explosiveness to be successful at the next level though. With the size discrepancy, he needs every edge he can get and that will determine how long he'll stay in the NBA. We are going to miss this guy a lot next year. I guess all you guys who think Sherron is a negative on this team will find out the hard way next year how much he means.

Tony Bandle 9 years, 9 months ago

In true Kansas Tradition as part of Senior Night, let's start talking about next year:}

Sherron, Xavier and Cole will move on, Selby will be a Jayhawk along with Woolridge and Releford and Little return. Based on current information, performance levels, etc.here's how next year's team shapes up:

Point - Taylor - Selby - CJ Shooting - EJ - Reed - Woolridge [possible RS] Swing - Little - Releford Center - Markieff - Withey[he still needs another year to dominate] Power - Marcus - T-Rob Situational Substitute - Morningstar [play to his strengths, bench him from his weaknesses]

Of course, many of these players are interchangeable i.e. for example going super big with Jeff, the twins T-Rob and a point!!

As always your comments and opinions are respectfully honored and encouraged....... However....kick Wildcat tale tonight!!!

bradynsdad 9 years, 9 months ago

phoggin i assume your not a ku fan. so just out of curiosity why are you on here? i just want a straight forward answer.

bradynsdad 9 years, 9 months ago

Tony Bandle 9 years, 9 months ago

HOO-HOO!! Charter is braodcasting the game in St.Louis...everybody to my house!!

FarSideHawk 9 years, 9 months ago

@OakvilleJhawk

Since Coach Self only keeps 8 people in the rotation, which players do you think will be disappointed next year with their playing time.

I really hope Releford and Little get their due next year. I know they need to earn it, but I'd really feel bad for them if they still don't crack the rotation.

keith horinek 9 years, 9 months ago

I can still remember SC during his freshman year. I thought he might never pan out the way he playd so out of control. Of course he played behind Mario and he seemed a little rough compared to Mario. Now, look at him, wow! The winningest player in KU history! Sherron, if you are reading these blogs, congratulations on a fine KU career and go ahead and cry, you've earned it. My only regret, I never got your autograph. Wished I had tried harder to get it. I have Mario's, and I really wanted your's. Go out in style and beat the purples! Next stop, a National Championship!

Tony Bandle 9 years, 9 months ago

FarSideHawk

I have a brother who lives in Lawrence and is friends with former Jayhawk players. According to the buzz, HCBS feels his best player right now is..........Mario Little.

Supposedly, Bill went up to Xavier earlier this season when he was having trouble and said that if he didn't pull out of it, he would be forced to pull Mario's redshirt and how would Xavier like to be the one to tell him?

I'm afraid CJ is a lost soul and Tyrell and Brady may see less minutes but in more significant moments. Also, I'm guessing Woolridge will redshirt. That gets it down to a nine man rotation that Bill did use this year.

These statements and five bucks will get you a cup of Starbuck's coffee!! :}

4jhawks4ku 9 years, 9 months ago

I think tonight we will see the best defense we have seen from the Crimson and Blue. Swarming, relentless, overwhelming. No open looks, nothing down low, all driving lanes cutoff. No breaks. We Win tonight with defense Hawks. Take care of business tonight. RCJH

Seth Goz 9 years, 9 months ago

OakvilleJHawk, what channel will it be on Charter in STL?

Thanks!

go_jayhawks 9 years, 9 months ago

Will Sherron's senior night speech be on the radio or the internet anywhere?

David Reed 9 years, 9 months ago

it'll be on the Jayhawk radio network.I wish the Big 12 Network would show SC's speech

Tony Bandle 9 years, 9 months ago

rockchalkstl

I'm not sure if it's 46, 409 or what. Best bet, start at 02 and slowly scan upwards.

PS Disclaimer - Charter has screwed us before.

Geez, a battle between the #2 and #5 teams in the nation on Senior Night with a nation-leading 58 game home winning streak on the line in the best bball venue in the land and we're scrambling to find it on some podunk outlet.

I guaran-damn-tee you that if was the ACC, it would be on Prime Time...what an insult to two great teams in the Number One Conference in America.

kshaw04 9 years, 9 months ago

dnvrhawk...thanks for mentioning ESPN FULL Court. For those who aren't aware, you can order ESPN Full Court for the day for around 15.95 (Comcast) and watch the game on tv. I've become so used to watching on ESPN 360 I forgot to check and see if the game was on ESPN FC...I'm ready and waiting, channel is cued up, couch is quite comfy and I just educated the poor ESPN Service Rep on the finer points of KU basketball. His response was to ask what lucky man I had married. Still single...but I'm sure he didn't think I'd be able to answer his question of why so many people were calling to order the KU game today as comprehensively as I did (championships over the years, home court streak, run to 2000, Naismith, our coaching tree....stupidity of this not being on national tv...and so on). He said he would try and get them to show the game tonight on the tv. I'll keep working on that husband thing:-)

Only 1 hour and 15 mins. to go...I feel like a kid in the candy store I'm so excited for this game. It would be icing on the cake if they show collins speaking at the end of the game. Does anyone know when they post video of senior night?

Robert Brock 9 years, 9 months ago

Oakville,

I would be absolutely shocked if we see Little at the 3 for any more than a few minutes a game in spot duty next year. He has a nice mid range shot and showed a few moves with the ball here and there, but that's just not enough. Self will need to see solid ball handling and more importantly, solid perimeter defense. I know he was injured through most of last year, but he really looks like a 4 in a 3's body. I am more focused on the end of this season, but I am a bit nervous about how KU will look next year. Self will need to work his magic.

Brett Glover 9 years, 9 months ago

The student section better be loud as EFFFF!

Lance Hobson 9 years, 9 months ago

CJ isn't a lost soul he's a lost person. Where is he?