Wednesday, March 3, 2010

’Cats set sights on streak

K-State, Kansas gird for another ‘Showdown War’

Kansas State head coach Frank Martin screams at his bench during the first half Saturday, Jan. 30, 2010 at Bramlage Coliseum.

Kansas State’s basketball team halted rival Kansas’ 55-game homecourt win streak on Jan. 30, 1988, in Allen Fieldhouse.

That incredible stretch ranks as the third-best in Jayhawk history.

At 7 tonight, the No. 5-ranked Wildcats (24-4, 11-3) are in town hoping to put an end to the Jayhawks’ current 58-game streak, which is just four games off the school-record 62-gamer set from 1993 to ’98.

“That would be amazing. We would go down in history, I think, as the best K-State team,” KSU sophomore forward Jamar Samuels told the Salina Journal after practice Tuesday. “Even if we don't win a national championship, we’d have to go down as the best K-State team, just because we beat KU at KU (to end) their amazing streak.”

The Wildcats fell to KU, 81-79, in overtime in a classic Sunflower Showdown contest on Jan. 30 in Bramlage Coliseum.

“They’ve won 58 in a row for a reason,” KSU coach Frank Martin said of the Jayhawks (27-2, 13-1). “It’s not just because it’s the Phog Allen (Fieldhouse). It’s because their basketball players are real good, and they’re very well coached.”

KU coach Bill Self returned the compliment earlier this week when he said KSU’s Martin should be named Big 12 coach of the year. Self said either Martin or Syracuse’s Jim Boeheim should net national coach-of-the-year honors.

“When we won in Manhattan, I told our staff they will not lose again,” Self said of KSU, which has won seven straight since the game at Bramlage. The Wildcats (like the Jayhawks) are 6-1 on the road in league play.

“They go after every ball. They are relentless,” Self added of the Wildcats, who outrebounded KU, 38-37, at Bramlage. “We can talk about technique, whatever, forget that, ‘Hey go hit your man and go get the ball.’”

KU center Cole Aldrich, who had 18 points and 11 boards in the first meeting, realizes it’ll be an all-out battle for rebounds.

“It’ll be typical KU-K-State, as they say the ‘Showdown War.’ It’s what it is — a battle on the boards and on defense,” Aldrich said.

KSU senior guard Jacob Pullen had 22 points and five assists in the first meeting.

“Right now, they’re the heavyweight champs, and we just want to get another shot at the title,” Pullen said. “They’re still winning the league. They’re still in front of everybody. We just want to get our opportunity.”

The Wildcats, who are two back, close at home Saturday versus Iowa State. KU travels to Missouri.

“It’s a great opportunity for us as far as March Madness goes, as far as the Big 12 goes. It puts a lot of pressure on them to go win at Columbia (Mo.) if we can win there,” Pullen said.

A victory would also soothe the Wildcats’ ears. Samuels was asked what he remembered about his first trip to Allen.

“The Phog and the way they just start the Rock Chalk Jayhawk chant. It gets annoying after a while,” Samuels said. “I know they’re a good team, and all credit to them, but we’re trying to get a victory this year.”

Recruiting

Josh Selby, a 6-foot-2 senior guard from Baltimore’s Lake Clifton High, was unable to make a scheduled visit to UConn because of car trouble, Rivals.com reports. He has a final four of KU, UConn, Kentucky and Arizona. Selby’s mom told Rivals that “Kansas has been the most consistent throughout the process.” He is expected to pick a school in late April.

Comments

3GJayhawk 4 years, 5 months ago

KU needs to win this game for a number of reasons. I'm pretty sure, even if we don't play our best, Sherron won't let us down tonight!

Damn Right! Go 'Hawks!!!!

JayhawkRock 4 years, 5 months ago

Great news about Selby we definitely need him...KSUck players are gonna go home unhappy after tomorrows game. For some reason Im just not worried about this game. I have a ton of confidence that we will bounce back from the loss and get it going.

Nick Cole 4 years, 5 months ago

Can't wait to get to Lawrence tomorrow. I think I am going to buy a new t-shirt while I'm there.

Rock Chalk, kill the kittens!!!

markster956 4 years, 5 months ago

Glad Jamar Samuels is taking the chant to heart. I think we can figure one more chance for him to hear his beloved tune.

Timmay97 4 years, 5 months ago

God I wish I could be there tonight! It's bad enough it's not on national TV (or HD for that matter), but at least I can watch on ESPN Full Court here in NJ.

I can't say I feel the same as JayhawkRock. This game scares me to DEATH. K-State is on a roll and they know what's at stake here. I just hope KU hits their shots and understands the magnitude of this game.

As far as I'm concerned, you don't only clinch the Big 12 title with this game, but you also clinch a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament. HUGE GAME tonight! Go Hawks!

jayhawkintexas 4 years, 5 months ago

This game has me very nervous. K-State has played very well lately while KU has struggled. K-State can play without worrying about losing, KU is under pressure to win it all and make Sherron and Cole's last games a victory. Pullen and Clemente are hitting the three point shots, Collins and X are having trouble finding their three pointers. K-State is very active on the boards, KU couldn't put away an undersized OSU team. K-State is playing with confidence, I'm not sure KU is playing with complete confidence. K-State wants to end the streak, KU has the pressure of keeping the streak going. Like the article says, this is a war but it also is going to be like a NCAA Tournament regional final. I know that the fieldhouse will be rocking so let the battle begin.

NH_JHawk 4 years, 5 months ago

Here's hoping to annoy Jamar Samuels again tonight. "ROOOOCCCKKKKK CCHHHHAAALLLLKKKK JJJJAAAAYYYYHHHAAAAWWWKKKKK KKKKUUUUUUU!!!!!!"

Dyrk Dugan 4 years, 5 months ago

KU 79 KSU 67

Rockin and Chalkin for Sherron's final game at AFH! Thank you Sherron!

docileboy 4 years, 5 months ago

It doesn't seem to me that the field house is as loud as it has been in past years, surely that will change tonight. I think with a loss tonight you can throw any National Title hopes out the window.

jhawkrulz 4 years, 5 months ago

I always like how K-state people consider a good season as beating KU, whereas KU sets their sites on Big 12 regular season championships, tournament championships, Final Fours, and National Championships. That probably is why K-State doesn't have any of those things.

yates33333 4 years, 5 months ago

Rock....Chalk.....Jayhawk...., K.... U..... I hope I hear it with about three minutes left in the game. Funny thing, I like it as much, if not more, than Samuels dislikes it. Rock.....Chalk.....Jayhawk....., K.... U..... It just rolls off your tongue...............

I hope Collins doesn't try to do it all and play too unrestrained, and I hope the bigs play super. Why not use Withey and Aldrich at the same time if K-State bangs the boards and gets too many rebounds?

Michael Leiker 4 years, 5 months ago

I love KSU players admitting that their entire history rests on how well they do against KS.

NebraskaJayhawk 4 years, 5 months ago

3 vs. #5. Why is this game not on ESPN?

kufan89 4 years, 5 months ago

we got this. ROCK CHALK! GO JAYHAWKS!

hellarockchalk 4 years, 5 months ago

Hi everybody, I'm new to this board but a jayhawk for life. What I would like to see tonight is, Cole not settling for a 10 ft. hook shot fading away, rather see him back his way down, turn and slam the rock. Even if he charges in the process and even fouls out, that would send a message to the other bigs in the country that this 7footer will dunk on you! Sherron will feel a ton of pressure to make sure the game is won tonight. To have the other guys play with xtreme aggressiveness and tenacity will calm Sherron and help him flow. Brady, if you are listening.........ball up! Stop thinking and just play. You've been a great friend to Sherron, now help him go out in style. Sherron will always live in the hearts of us all. RockChalk!

Kye Clark 4 years, 5 months ago

docileboy - not sure why you'd consider a loss to night as throwing our title hopes out the window. The '08 Championship team lost 3 games, and while they were all road games none of the losses were against teams as highly ranked as K-State is this year. They were a 1 seed. The way I look at it, aside from the Senior night and home winning streak implications, tonight's game will either lock the Jayhawks into a number 1 seed or put it in jeopardy. You figure barring unexpected collapses Syracuse & Kentucky are on the 1 line (along with us right now). Purdue is no longer considered to be a threat. Duke is the 4th 1 seed right now, but even with a loss tonight I think our resume is still much stronger than Duke's, so we would have to do something beyond losing tonight to fall behind them. Aside from K-State, not really sure who is in the conversation. Nova or West Virginia? They play each other this week effectively removing one from consideration, so maybe if the winner of that game runs the table in the Big East tourney. Ohio State? I know some of their losses were with Evan Turner out, but they still have 7 all together, so aside from them winning out and us losing out I don't see them overtaking us. Hopefully all this conjecture is moot, and KU goes out tonight and dismantles the kittens!

Brett Arnberger 4 years, 5 months ago

I know some people are concerned about the game tonight. Some have mentioned that KSU is on a roll. I would just like to mention the teams KSU has played since we beat them in the Hawktogon:

Nebraska - Twice Iowa State Colorado Texas Tech Oklahoma Mizzou

I know they are playing good ball, but they haven't really been playing what you might consider "good" teams. Only one of those teams is a tourney team and in the top half of the league. Meanwhile we beat A&M & Texas since beating them and was tested against OSU. The powerhouse that is KU will come out and impose its will against the Kittens from the little potato, or little turd...whatever they call that place these days. Not saying it is going to be a blowout, but Jayhawk fans can go into the game confident tonight that we will continue our streak, win an outright Big XII championship, and continue down the road for a deep run in the NCAA tourney. Rock Chalk!!

BeakofLight 4 years, 5 months ago

nebraskahawk,

im a kansas transplant who lives in nebraska also (omaha)...if you live anywhere close to the border, the game is being televised in kansas via the big xii network...rest assured ill be making the two hour trek southbound to catch the game at my fathers (who is a kitty alum)...this is the biggest game in our history of the modern ksu rivalry hands down and i wouldnt miss it for my sisters wedding

Mike Kendall 4 years, 5 months ago

Amber--- good point about the K-State wins since they lost to us.

316--- I was thinking the same thing you said about docileboy.

And as far as the Rock Chalk Jayhawk chant Jamar, you will hear it again tonight. What a bummer for you!!!!

Good news about Shelby. Hopefully, he makes the right decision!

Rock Chalk---good luck, Jayhawks! Spit the fur balls back to Manhattan!

BeakofLight 4 years, 5 months ago

if we can get some seperation in the first half, the kitties are in trouble

if we get into a dog fight from the tip, i fear we might be in trouble

if pullen goes for 20+, i think we're in trouble

if sherron has his legs back tonight, kitties are in trouble

if the officials take over as they did on jan 30, we are in trouble

if clemente is overly forcing the action and shooting them out of gym, the kitties are in trouble

if marcus gets ticky-tack calls, we are in trouble

if i continue to watch 20+ games a week, ill be in trouble with my gf

march 18 is a mere two weeks away

BeakofLight 4 years, 5 months ago

since jan 30th, kitties have been trending as follows: close dog fight in first half, knockout blow in second half...now, rather than before jan 30th, the kitties know they are good...that scares me a bit...rather than coming in with even a shred of doubt, they know and are confident they can win

for the record, i agree with the above posts in regard to docileboy...do explain your logic oh docile one...ksu is a legit top 5 squad, thus, i dont really get why a loss tonight would spell doom for the hawks in the dance...that logic is beyond me

KUbsee69 4 years, 5 months ago

Nebraska ... KU is #2, not #3.

KANSTUCKY 4 years, 5 months ago

Bring the hustle and fight to this one gentlemen or you might be sharing another title. It about time for BM to get out of his shooting funk. He had a great game at the Hawktagon, he should do well tonight.

youowethehawks 4 years, 5 months ago

Allen Fieldhouse tonight will be the Rhombus of Reckoning for the Purples. That said, we need to bring our A-game because they're hungry and talented.

The only issue with the posts I'm seeing so far is, I'd hesitate to call KU-KState a "rivalry." They certainly consider us their rivals, but the series record does not support that claim. We're rivals in debate, not basketball (or football).

With 52 conference championships, I'd hesitate to call any conference foe a "rival."

Tony Bandle 4 years, 5 months ago

Josh Selby..one school is about to lose it's coach to the NBA, one school is up in the air over it's coach's health issues, one school is about to go on probation, one school has the best coach in America and a hell of a team coming back in 2010.

If you are as smart as I think you are, I think you'll know what to do!!

Steve Brown 4 years, 5 months ago

“The Phog and the way they just start the Rock Chalk Jayhawk chant. It gets annoying after a while,” Samuels said. it just got louder..........and I can recall plenty of wabash cannonball train wrecks where that song in football and old Ahearn House was plenty annoying....every man a poosheecat.

Recruiting Josh Selby, a 6-foot-2 senior guard from Baltimore’s Lake Clifton High, was unable to make a scheduled visit to UConn because of car trouble. so I switched a few spark plug cables, didn't mean no serious harm......

dynamitehawk 4 years, 5 months ago

Hey phogged,

By 'the rest of America' do you mean Connecticut and Rhode Island?

Check out what 35K people had to say on the poll - > http://espn.go.com/

I think you might be trapped in your Big East bubble, yo.

focojayhawk 4 years, 5 months ago

The staters live for 3 times a year.
1. KU-KSTATE Football game. 2. KU-KSTATE Basketball in Manhattan 3. KU-KSTATE Basketball in Lawrence

It doesn't go beyond this.

kloag44 4 years, 5 months ago

phogged - have you watched sportscenter this morning? The poll is which game are you most intrigued about. KU-Kstate has over 55% of the votes, and if you go to ESPN and look at the map, even the east coast is voting for the KU Kstate game

kloag44 4 years, 5 months ago

Michael Leiker 4 years, 5 months ago

Beakoflight - HCBSnyder is supposed to be at DJs Dugout tonight for the game. Apparently he's in town for a coaching clinic and going to hang out with KSU alum assoc. Maybe your pops should make the trip to Omatucky.

Youowe - is this year #53 or #52?

Kevin Huffman 4 years, 5 months ago

I think this game will be just like the game Baylor had last night. We'll get down by as many as close to 10 in the first half, but then we'll go on a HUGE tear and end up winning by double-digits in the end.

I mean think back on the last 20 years of Senior Days / Nights and what's our record in them?

Like 19-1?!?!?!?!?! And honestly I don't remember a loss...I was just guessing there.

This last reg. season home game almost always tends to EITHER be one of their better games or at least one of their better 2nd halves (i.e., the Texas game where we got down by 19 in the first half but won by like a dozen or something in the end when Durant was at UT).

hawktop 4 years, 5 months ago

To phogged, Obviously you have not been around the country. Almost every place I've lived (or visited for that matter) has pockets of KU fans. It has became a cult equaling tens of thousands of fans. Kansas, the state, doesn't have a high population, however the number of fans is larger than most universities.

milwaukeeJAYHAWK 4 years, 5 months ago

This is a huge game for K-State and KU.

BUT let's not get ahead of ourselves.

The 1988 Elite 8 matchup between KSU and KU was the biggest game ever in the rivalry's history, hands down. Playing for a Final Four spot is way bigger than this, no matter how big this seems at the moment.

'88 will never be surpassed unless KU-KSU meet in a Final Four itself.

Steve Brown 4 years, 5 months ago

huff80 kd hurt ankle in that game.. it helped us.

Greenielivz 4 years, 5 months ago

Someone else posted this on another story, but out East (at least in the Washington DC area) you can see the game on MASN network and in HD. Channel 577 on Verizon Fios. Also don't forget ESPN 360, I travel all over the world and have been able to stream games live at 3am. Quality isn't too bad either.

jhokfan 4 years, 5 months ago

39-2 does not equate to a rivalry but if Martin continues to improve this program it has potential.

The Wildcats are playing with house money. They have nothing to lose and everything to gain and they can win on the road. They’re a better team than the one we faced over a month ago and are capable of beating us tonight.

NebraskaJayhawk 4 years, 5 months ago

Kansas is #2...my bad. Anyway, I cannot believe I am going to miss this game. Will it be on JustinTv.com by chance? Someone needs to live stream this game for me!

markster956 4 years, 5 months ago

@NebraskaJayhawk you can ESPN 360 it

docileboy 4 years, 5 months ago

Well I hope Peter Pullen doesn't pull it out tonight for the mildcats.

BrockIII 4 years, 5 months ago

The game will be on JustinTV per phog.net.

There are only a hand full of games left in the season and KU (like most teams out there) are struggling off and on in some areas. In the last month, the media started doing what I feared in building up KU as some invincible power that will steamroll everyone. That's the price you pay for winning but it's just not reality. KU is a very good team but not a great team (there are no great teams) - the end of the season is approaching and there are quite a few large question marks. The tournament is really wide open this year. I want to see this team finish strong and click on all (or most) cylinders the next two weeks. They still have a high ceiling.

kshaw04 4 years, 5 months ago

By my computer it is 1 hour and 40 minutes until a great basketball game starts. I can hardly contain my excitement. I've given up on work and turned on ESPN where so far barely a mention of the KU KState game...just on ESPN 360 and that's a good one. What an understatement. Too bad I'm watching this on ESPN 360!

Rock Chalk JHawk, Go KU!!!!!!!!