Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Recruit Zach Peters soaks up camp experience

Jayhawks commitment lauds Stoudemire, Morris

Team Texas player Zach Peters, right, spins for a shot over Galveston Hornets player Sam Kinlaw during the Kansas City Classic AAU basketball tournament on Saturday at Okun Fieldhouse in Shawnee.

The 16 high school basketball players at last week’s Amar’e Stoudemire Skills Academy weren’t allowed to scrimmage against the camp’s college counselors in accordance with NCAA rules.

Nothing prevented the preps from watching the collegiate group of Marcus Morris, Denzel Bowles, Gus Gilchrist, JaMychal Green, Enes Kanter, Curtis Kelly, Vernon Macklin, Gary McGhee, Greg Smith, Jared Sullinger, Trey Thompkins and Derrick Williams play nightly pick-up games at Chicago’s Attack Athletics gym, however.

Future Kansas University power forward Zach Peters, a 6-foot-9, 235-pounder from Prestonwood Christian Academy in Plano, Texas, who observed the action, said KU junior forward Morris emerged as the best of the lot.

“He’s looking really good,” said Peters, who also has accepted an invitation to the 80-player LeBron James Academy, starting this weekend in Ohio.

“I don’t know what his jump shot was like before, but it’s really good. He’s shooting the ball really well.”

Peters — he averaged 15.3 points and 9.0 rebounds his sophomore season in leading Prestonwood to a Class 5A state title — said he learned a lot at the camp.

“It was awesome. I’ve never been to anything like it,” Peters said. “Being able to learn from Amar’e and see how his game is … let’s face it, he’s one of the best in the NBA now. Anything he can tell us will help us in our games.

“It was awesome to get to play with a lot of players as far as the talent there,” Peters added of the group of preps that consisted of Peters, Angelo Chol, Rakeem Christmas, DaJuan Coleman, Mikael Hopkins, Kevin Johnson, Sidiki Johnson, Deng Leek, Trey McDonald, Daniel Ochefu, Norvel Pelle, Marshall Plumlee, Zach Price, Julian Royal, Bernard Sullivan and Cody Zeller.

“John Lucas ran the camp. There was a ton of conditioning. John Lucas is big on conditioning. He had ex-NBA players and coaches in the NBA and D-League working it. We learned a ton of stuff — everything from pick-and-rolls to setting screens. You’d think setting a screen is simple, but there’s a lot of technique to it. My favorite part was learning some of the post moves that NBA players do — face up and rip through, be more violent with the ball.”

Peters recently spent about a week in Lawrence. The stay reinforced his decision to end his recruitment early.

“Playing in the fieldhouse is like nothing else,” said Peters, who played some pick-up ball in Allen Fieldhouse. “There’s so much history in there. I just got that feeling in the stomach,” he added of the feeling to choose KU back on April 21 over Texas, North Carolina, Kentucky and others.

“I felt God was calling me to make the decision now to take the pressure off my back. I feel it takes a lot of weight off my shoulders. There’s responsibility now, too. I have to be a KU athlete now. I have to play a lot harder. It’ll help me work harder and get my game to where it needs to be to play at Kansas.”

Of the pick-up games here, he said: “The players were great to me. Everybody impressed me. The guards, big guys were all playing well. The Morris twins play hard. I want to work with them to see if I can get my game to their level.”

Comments

Chris Shaw 9 years, 7 months ago

I sure hope KU can land Peters teammate from the Class of 2013.

Scott MacWilliams 9 years, 7 months ago

Man, I like the way this kid thinks!

He seems to be another great fit for the team, and looks and sounds like he'll be able to contribute early and often. Too bad he's still 2 years out...

Rock Chalk, Zach!

Jonathan Andrews 9 years, 7 months ago

Our guy Zach seems to have a really good head on his shoulders.

kerbyd 9 years, 7 months ago

Doesn' make much sense that underclassman can play pickup at the fieldhouse but they can't at Stoudemire's camp. The NCAA in all their wisdom. Zach does sound like a great kid.

Jonathan Allison 9 years, 7 months ago

God told him that he is supposed to come to Kansas and be a Jayhawk. Nice. Just 4 years after Shady was told in a dream to come to KU. Forget about the Pump and Run programs, God is pipelining us the best talent out of the state of Texas.

Randy Bombardier 9 years, 7 months ago

"The fool hath said in his heart, there is no God." Me, I'll take God on my side any day.

TrueBlue92 9 years, 7 months ago

Must be something in the fire-water down there, huh?

jhwk215 9 years, 7 months ago

YES!! all he has to say now is that while at KU all he wants is to play ball and get a degree as well and he is my favorite.

hawk316 9 years, 7 months ago

Ralster...uh, I don't know how to break this to you, but God has always been very communicative (and not just to those good folks from Texas). He once told the Israelites, "if my people would but listen to me." (Psalm 81:13). It seems the problem is not that God actually speaks to people, it's that people don't often take the time to listen to God. (Granted: there are always a few "loonies" out there who do crazy things because they claim that God commanded them to do so. The bizarre behavior of such people is usually an obvious clue that emotional/mental instability is at play).

Hearing from God is a very significant part of the Christian faith, and it sounds like Zach is coming from that perspective. He also sounds like a great kid with a terrific attitude and should be a wonderful addition to our program.

Randy Bombardier 9 years, 7 months ago

I'm with you. Getting really, really tired of jabs at a president who was far better than the current one. And to mock his faith...well, it deserved being called out.

TrueBlue92 9 years, 7 months ago

You mean the president who sent the deficit from $5 trillion to $10 trillion in less than six years? The one who achieved the first 8% unemployment rate since 1973? The one who bailed out Goldman Sachs, AIG, Band of America, JP Morgan, etc?

Yea, he was AWESOME! Too bad God didn't tell him how to run the country/economy.

Matt Bowers 9 years, 7 months ago

Zach, I believe that God want's all the great players to take their game to KU. It is only natural that God said this to you and it is good that you listened. While in Ohio get a group together and go hang in Little Italy or Cleveland Heights, those are cool parts of town.

Nice article Gary.

hawk316, please learn to take a joke. What if God told him to go to Missouri, would you question his Christian faith? I would!

Rock Chalk

Randy Bombardier 9 years, 7 months ago

Yes, I see your point of view. Yet, even Jonah had to go to Nineveh.

hawk316 9 years, 7 months ago

kustrong, I caught the joke and was certainly not offended. I was merely trying to point out that there exists a certain misconception among some concerning the possibility that God can and does actually speak to people. I'm quite pleased that Zach heard the Lord whisper to him, "KU, my son, go to KU."

Annette Lee 9 years, 7 months ago

Best thing with Zach. is no problems....

stravinsky 9 years, 7 months ago

I think God telling people where to play ball is an NCAA violation, actually. They really slammed Him hard for that back with Manning in '88. (The stated reason for the '89 postseason ban was just cover up to avoid the bad press).

Watch out in the NBA -- we may see some fire and brimstone coming down from the NBA if they find out God had illegal contact with LeBron before July 1 telling him to sign with the Bulls.

jaybate 9 years, 7 months ago

"But for my faith in God, I should have been a raving maniac." Mohandas Gandhi

Each one prays to God according to his own light. Mohandas Gandhi

Faith is not something to grasp, it is a state to grow into. Mohandas Gandhi

Faith... must be enforced by reason... when faith becomes blind it dies. Mohandas Gandhi

God is, even though the whole world deny him. Truth stands, even if there be no public support. It is self-sustained. Mohandas Gandhi

God sometimes does try to the uttermost those whom he wishes to bless. Mohandas Gandhi

God, as Truth, has been for me a treasure beyond price. May He be so to every one of us. Mohandas Gandhi

I believe in the fundamental truth of all great religions of the world. Mohandas Gandhi

I know, to banish anger altogether from one's breast is a difficult task. It cannot be achieved through pure personal effort. It can be done only by God's grace. Mohandas Gandhi

I reject any religious doctrine that does not appeal to reason and is in conflict with morality. Mohandas Gandhi

One's own religion is after all a matter between oneself and one's Maker and no one else's. Mohandas Gandhi

Only he can take great resolves who has indomitable faith in God and has fear of God. Mohandas Gandhi

Where love is, there God is also. Mohandas Gandhi

fansincewilt 9 years, 7 months ago

~I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ. Mohandas Gandhi

Of course, that is why Jesus is the Christ and we are the terrible, awful sinners in need of someone to save us. All men are sinful, including Gandhi. I follow Christ because I need His salvation not because I am good or seeking to be good within myself.

~The essence of all religions is one. Only their approaches are different. Mohandas Gandhi

Does Gandhi like the one who said, "I am the only way"?

What a wonderful addition to the Jayhawks, who I have liked since childhood, is this Zach Peters. It's good to know there are other Christian fans of the team. However, I do enjoy Jaybate's comments as well.

swjhawk 9 years, 7 months ago

Who do we hear from next? Fred Phelps? Take your religious nonsense to another site.

Randy Bombardier 9 years, 7 months ago

Fred Phelps made himself God's Ambassador. I really don't think God appointed him, do you? If not, why are you blaming God?

Tim Orel 9 years, 7 months ago

swjhawk, I agree with you. Religion is something best left personal, not posted on boards for sports.

That said, though, I'm glad this kid feels he's not only responsible for himself, but for being a Jayhawk already and he is going to be responsible not only for himself but as a Jayhawk representative. I also loved the way Elijah was holding up his KU jersey in front of the Kentucky fans a couple years ago. These early commits are really getting into the whole KU family. Makes me proud.

jaybate 9 years, 7 months ago

swjhawk,

If were talking about the separation of church and state in governing USA, I would be with you every step of the way, brother. But KUSports.com is a privately owned and managed forum for public discourse among registered users. So: the principle of seaparation of church and state is irrelevant here. The World Corporation and its managers get to say what is permissible discourse here. Since there reporter, Gary Bedore reported young Zack's religious references in his comments, one has to infer that religious commentary in relation to KU sports is consistent with the user agreement.

Persons that rule out the discourse of others without resort to valid reason or humane morality appear to be petty tyrants. :-)

Nevertheless, I want to pay you the respect of responding to you categorically.

First, to reiterate, Gary Bedore reported Zack's comments that included religious references.

Second, my alias kept his religious opinions to itself and posted the comments of another historical figure regarding religion.

Third, the person my alias quoted, Mohandas Gandhi. Gandhi was a lawyer that lead his countrymen in a long, non-violent war to rid his country of an illegitimate, colonial occupation of India by Great Britain. He was not an official of a church.

Fourth, not only my alias, but I, also, am always suspicious of folks that like to sacrifice either:

a) other's blood and not theirs; and/or

b) other's right to express themselves and not theirs.

So: pardon me if I'm a little suspicious of your intentions. :-)

jaybate 9 years, 7 months ago

I think it interesting that Zach Peters has a religion and that he lets its principles premise his logic and trigger his action in life and in sport.

Gary Bedore thought it was interesting enough to report it, too.

I think it interesting to pair Zach's religion with Gandhi's comments on religion in action. Gandhi was another man of action, from another time, in another arena, who let his religious principles premise some of his logic and trigger his actions.

I think it even more interesting that you would want to impede the logic and actions of others by denying them the right to articulate their (or others) own principles in public that premise their (or others) logics and trigger their (or others) actions.

Reasoning without out explicit principles (i.e., assumptions) is dubious indeed.

One definition of flummery might be use of logic without principles.

Another might be use of principles without logic.

I choose not to "flum" you, or anyone else. :-)

You may choose as you wish, because, unlike you, I choose not to tell other persons what principles and logics are permissible here.

"I reject any religious doctrine that does not appeal to reason and is in conflict with morality," said Mr. Gandhi.

I would amend that in 21st Century America, as follows.

"I reject any ideology that does not appeal to reason and is in conflict with morality."--the Mahawkma aka jaybate

You seem a bit of an ideologue. You apparently believe you conclusively know what is right on this subject and feel entitled to tell others what not to say, according to your beliefs, rather than focus on what they have to say, or focus on what you have to say, exclusive of trying to put gags on others.

Your response to my post seems not to appeal to reason and conflicts with my moral belief that people be allowed to express their assumptions,religious and otherwise, that premise the logic they use to make choices and act.

Therefore I reject your post. :-)

Rock Chalk!

hawk316 9 years, 7 months ago

jaybate, although we would certainly and significantly disagree on some religious matters (e.g., your support (I assume) of Gandhi's statement that "the essence of all religions is one. Only their approaches are different." Jesus clearly would have strongly disagreed with such thinking.), I applaud your love of spirited discourse and the open and honest exchange of ideas. For your love of the first amendment, you're a patriot!

To be fair, I do understand those who might not want to see this site become a forum for religious discussion. However, as you rightly pointed out, Jaybate, the religious issue was referenced briefly in Gary's article and thus became fair game for discussion. Moreover, readers always have the freedom to skip any comments that do not interest them. In this case, of course, they would do so to their own detriment. :-)