Originally published June 24, 2010 at 03:13p.m., updated June 25, 2010 at 12:00a.m.

Hinrich traded to Washington Wizards

Chicago Bulls' Kirk Hinrich defends against New Jersey Nets' Devin Harris during the fourth quarter of an NBA basketball game Wednesday, Feb. 25, 2009 in East Rutherford, N.J. The Nets beat the Bulls 111-99.

— The Chicago Bulls agreed to trade veteran guard Kirk Hinrich and their first-round pick to the Washington Wizards for a future second-rounder on Thursday, a person familiar with the situation said, creating enough salary cap room to go after two star free agents.

The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because the deal can’t become official until July 8, when the new salary cap takes hold and the Wizards can take Hinrich’s $9 million salary for next season without having to send back something of similar financial value.

The Bulls will receive a future second-round pick in the deal, which was first reported by ESPN.

Comments

jayhawkinATL 10 years ago

Are these the same sources that said the Big 12 was dead???

honk_for_hawks 10 years ago

Say it ain't so. My favorite team can't lose my favorite former KU player!

Chicago_JHawk 10 years ago

This would free enough cap space for the Bulls to go after two max free agents. Sorry to see him go, but if they wind up with Bosh/LeBron to go with Noah and Rose, then I'm all for it...

truefan 10 years ago

I don't like it, but it's not the worste thing that could happen. John Wall will be on the Wizards, Arenas is getting traded, and they get the 17th pick which for all we know could be Xavier Henry (I doubt he'll fall this far). With those moves, the Wizards might not be the worste team in the NBA.

Chris Shaw 10 years ago

Looks like Hinrich is turning into a Vegabond Mentor for the "Elite" pg's in the league (Rose and now Wall). Hell, they may be bringing in Hinrich to play over that "Cancer" and 111 million dollar contract in Gilbert "Who is a Zero" Arenas.

LAJayhawk 10 years ago

Bulls are clearing cap space. Bosh and LeBron are the popular rumors. Crazy if my Bulls wind up with both those guys....

Sorry to see Hinrich go, though, if it happens. Loved seeing him in the Chicago red. Ah well. His still one of my all time favorite Jayhawks. I'll watch him anywhere he plays.

KGphoto 10 years ago

Nice pic. Did we have anything in focus, err... ?

Hinrich and Wall will turn Washington into a contender immediately. All they need to do now, is change their team name, colors and logo. I mean seriously, do you want to play (as a pro) for a team named the "Wizards". It's freaking embarrassing. Throw in the league's worst color (teal) and you have a dribbling disaster. I can't even watch it.

Pull it together D.C.!

KGphoto 10 years ago

The P.C. thing jumped the shark when they renamed the Bullets.

I don't care if the are The Cruise Missiles, as long as they aren't more closely related to Harry Potter. There are innumerable names better than "Wizards".

You have so much potential D.C.

I'll give you a start. And it's a good one.

The Supreme Court.

Dirk Medema 10 years ago

They give up a first round pick for a second, oh, and by the way we'll throw in a quality player as well? That's crazy.

ridgetj 10 years ago

They need cap space. they could potentially be trading a mid first round pick and Kirk for LeBron and Bosh. even if u only get one of those guys and maybe another guy, you'd be crazy not to make that deal.

I like Kirk and liked him in Chicago, but it was a good deal for the team.