Wednesday, June 23, 2010

KU’s Self predicts lottery for Cole Aldrich, Xavier Henry

Coach pinpoints second round for Collins

Three Kansas University products — from left, Cole Aldrich, Xavier Henry and Sherron Collins — are expected to be selected in Thursday’s NBA Draft. At least one scout says Aldrich and Henry are first-rounders, while Collins likely will go in the second round.

Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self, who will be working as an analyst for NBA-TV and NBA.com during Thursday night’s 2010 NBA Draft coverage, shared his up-to-the minute insight regarding the Jayhawks’ three hopefuls on Tuesday.

“I think Cole and X will both go in the lottery,” Self said of center Cole Aldrich and guard Xavier Henry.

The lottery encompasses the first 14 picks.

“I don’t know where or how high. It could vary with both of them,” Self added. “There’s teams in the 7-8-9 slots that have expressed interest. I think the reality is I believe both will go in the 8-to-15 range. I really believe that.

“My prediction is Sherron will go mid-second round,” Self added of point guard Sherron Collins. “If somebody gets him mid-second round, they’ve got themselves a player.”

NBA officials — who are not out to embarrass the league’s future players — obviously are confident in the draft status of Aldrich and Henry.

Both have been issued — and accepted — invitations to sit with their families in the draft’s Green Room Thursday in New York’s Madison Square Garden. Green Room invitees are chronicled closely by ESPN’s TV cameras during the draft, which will start at 6:30 p.m. Central time and run until 11.

As far as the 5-foot-11 Collins, there’s been a lot of talk about his weight and how that might impact his draft stock.

“Well, his weight has fluctuated a lot,” said Self, who last spoke with Collins over the weekend, when he weighed in at 219 pounds in Portland.

“He’s been as low as 207 and as high as 229 based on what I heard in a span of two months. It’s a big fluctuation. He’s very capable of keeping it down. I know there’s no 220-pound point guards in that league. That probably has not helped him at all.

“One good thing,” Self noted, “is Sherron has shown he can lose weight. He can gain or lose weight the easiest of any human being I’ve seen. He can lose 12 pounds in a week or put on weight in a week. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s down to 210 by Thursday. Unfortunately for him, he weighed more than that in Chicago (during official draft measurements when he was 217).

“The thing with Sherron, whenever he gets hurt and can’t work out, that’s when he puts on weight,” Self explained. “Sherron hurt his groin (within last month) and couldn’t work out. At that time he put on some weight.”

Self believes Collins, KU’s all-time winningest player, can be effective in the NBA.

“Everybody knows he can play,” Self said. “Hopefully it (weight) is not a big negative for him. We’re hopeful he’ll be picked in the second round. Even if he isn’t, he then can pick and choose what team he goes to. We’re still holding out hope somebody will fall in love with him and want him to be a backup point guard for an organization starting out (and be starter later). I feel he’s capable of doing it. He can play. He’s a winner.”

Collins’ uncle, Walt Harris, said the Collins family enters the draft “confident. I think he’ll be a first-rounder. I just don’t know where he’s going. I know he can play. If he was 6-3, 6-4, we wouldn’t be having this conversation (about uncertainty involving Sherron). He’s proven himself at every level. He won in high school and college and will win in the pros.”

Walt pointed out that there’s something special about Collins’ high school Class of 2006.

“It’s one of the most successful classes ever,” Walt Harris said.

Members of the Class of 2006 in the NBA: Ryan Anderson, D.J. Augustin, Darrell Arthur, Patrick Beverley, Chase Budinger, Earl Clark, Mike Conley, Daequan Cook, Stephen Curry, Javaris Crittenton, Kevin Durant, Wayne Ellington, Taj Gibson, Spencer Hawes, Gerald Henderson, Jordan Hill, Ty Lawson, Jodie Meeks, Brook Lopez, Robin Lopez, Greg Oden, Marreese Speights, DaJuan Summers, Hasheem Thabeet, Russell Westbrook Brandan Wright, and Thaddeus Young.

“This is going to be a new challenge. Sherron likes challenges,” Walt Harris said. “Anything is possible with him. Wherever he goes, he’ll be special.”

At this point, it’s not likely Collins will be headed to his hometown team. The Chicago Bulls have just one pick — at No. 17 in Round One.

“I won’t say he’s giving up (on that possibility). But they already have a point guard,” Walt Harris said of Derrick Rose.

There have been rumors the New York Knicks and New Jersey Nets like Collins.

“At this point, you never know,” Harris said. “After Thursday, we’ll have three more Jayhawks in the NBA. I’m pretty confident of that.”

Lee headed to USF

Former KU guard Michael Lee soon will be introduced as assistant coach at the University of San Francisco. The Dons are coached by former KU guard Rex Walters, who also has hired former KU manager Justin Bauman as a full-time member of his coaching staff. Lee recently accepted a position as assistant director of basketball operations at the University of Oregon after working as an assistant at Gardner-Webb for two years.

Comments

Jhawk59 4 years, 5 months ago

Lee is already leaving Oregon? Didn't he just take that job like 5 days ago?

Kevin Studer 4 years, 5 months ago

Yeah, I thought this article was mistaken...Dang, Michael.

Osagehawk 4 years, 5 months ago

I have been in NYC the past three days and am there right now. I would like nothing better than to stay and go to the draft, but we have to leave Thursday morning. My family has represented KU well with wearing considerable KU gear. We have had comments along the way from New Yorkers, anywhere from "What is Rock Chalk?", "Go Jayhawks", to "I've never met anyone from Kansas before." It's been fun.

FSUJHAWK 4 years, 5 months ago

Sherron is a winner - plain and simple. NBA GM's know that. Unfortunately pro sports and the their leaders are more concerned about selling tickets, potential and measurables. I don't blame them, after all it's all about the money and this is America.

Notwithstanding the above, someone out there, local or international, will give this kid a break. If he keeps his head on straight and sorrounds himself with good people he WILL shock the world - trust me!

RCJHGKU!!!

esj2003 4 years, 5 months ago

My assumption on the Mike Lee thing is he wanted to be a coach, rather than his Oregon position, which was a director of player personnel (I think).

Dee Shaw 4 years, 5 months ago

Gee lets give this some thinking. A position at Oregon as assistant director of basketball operations or become an assistant coach for a Div.1 team. Good decision Michael, you made a wise choice. Everyones ultimate goal in the coaching ranks is to be an assistant then from there who knows. You got to start somewhere. I am sure on your resume it looks better as an assistant coach for a D1 program rather than a assistant director of basketball operations.

Martin Rosenblum 4 years, 5 months ago

I smell a KU-USanFran. game in the future?

hawksince51 4 years, 5 months ago

If Self is right, good news and big bucks for Cole and X. He is probably being a little generous in the case of X whom I predict in the mid-20s. But, come on Sherron, not the weight thing when it matters most. Should have knocked off that easy 12 lbs. before the weigh-in. Oh well, 2nd round is not big bucks and your future is probably Europe anyway so maybe not such a big deal.

KGphoto 4 years, 5 months ago

If Jacque Vaughn can have a 13 year NBA career, Collins isn't going to Europe. The NBA will keep him in peak condition, and he'll be bulldozing the lane for a decade.

areyouserious 4 years, 5 months ago

ummmmmmm...........1 MAJOR difference between the two players, and that is what exists between their ears. Not trying to bag on collins, but you cannot say they are the same person/player in the eyes of the NBA front offices. There is no doubt that Sherron will get his chance, but the quesion is will he make the most of it and do the right things to stay in the league? As a reserve, it only takes 1 letdown to be sent packing. Jacque Vaughn handled himself very well and treated people the right way. Hopefully Sherron can do the same and develop a long term career in the NBA. Good Luck Sherron!

jaybate 4 years, 5 months ago

First, Collins is a graduate of KU just like Vaughn.

Second, you are making the classic error of confusing academic IQ with life and basketball IQ. Collins ranks as high, or higher in life IQ and book IQ.

Third, Vaughn did not stay in the NBA for 13 years, because he was tutoring his teammates in business and accounting. He stayed there because he could handle the ball and get his butt down and play defense.

Fourth, Collins will do well in the NBA, if he has restored the explosiveness in his legs.

Fifth, Collins is one hell of a basketball player.

areyouserious 4 years, 5 months ago

First.....really?? who knew? Second......wrong! Was Sherron an Academic All American? Have you met or talked to either one of them? Third......Sherron can do one of the two well. Fourth.....gonna take more than that Fifth.....Collins was one hell of a "college" basketball player

KGphoto 4 years, 5 months ago

areyoueffinserious?

Go back to JUCO Willie Wildcat.

hawksince51 4 years, 5 months ago

Jacque and Sherron are very different. Jacque is a true point guard with all the skills required to have a long career primarily as a back-up. He was never a good shooter but was not required to be due to his basketball IQ, quickness, solid D and passing skills. Sherron has been much more of a scoring PG and is less skilled in the other areas. It will be a lot tougher for him to make it in the NBA even as a backup. I should add that those are my realistic opinions and I would be very happy to be proven wrong about Sherron.

jaybate 4 years, 5 months ago

Mike Lee is smart enough to recognize a promotion when he sees one. Asst. Coach vs. Direct of Basketball Operations (running camps without a percentage). San Francisco vs. Eugene. Duh! Walters and the KU/UNC mafias vs. Altman. Double duh! Go Mike. Bring Sexy Rexy the Oregon playahs. Rexy will grab the Bay Area playahs, and USF is gold again. Just keep the players away from the guys on the water front! :-)

Rock Chalk!

kerbyd 4 years, 5 months ago

SF is on prbation for the next 2 years. Hopefully, that will not affect things too much.

VancouverJHawkr 4 years, 5 months ago

I see where yahoo says that Daniel Orton apparently told some NBA folks in pre-draft workouts that "he'd wished he'd gone to Kansas rather than Kentucky..."

jaybate 4 years, 5 months ago

"Some Other Not-Too-Risky Predictions Made by Self that Bedore Left Out"

~I predict that Lew Perkins will not be giving Chancellor Gray-Little any exercise equipment for her birthday this year.

~I predict that Chancellor Gray-Little will not invite Tom Keegan, who more-or-less called her incompetent, to tea in London, or for a backyard barbecue at the Chancellor's house on campus.

~I predict that KU will not play even one game in sheer lingerie this season.

~I predict that Frank Martin will be asked to play Bert in the up coming Bert and Ernie feature film entitled "Sesame Street Assassins."

~I predict Doc Sadler will win a higher percentage of his games in the Big Ten than he did in the Big 12, but will enjoy coaching less.

~I predict Tom Izzo will never coach a team that plays substantially within the rules.

~I predict that Bob Huggins' West Virginia Mountaineers will be the first team to hand check with tire irons.

~I predict at least one player on UK's team will sustain an injury from slipping on mousse drippings from John Calipari's hair.

~I predict that Dick Vitale's head will be use at least once this season as a microwave relay transmitter.

~I predict that Bob Knight will be the first color man to call a game wearing a man bra.

~I predict that I will not predict what I will do when Lew leaves.

~I predict that Charlotte will not be the last coaching stop for Larry Brown, nor will heaven, or hell.

~I predict that Bay Rum and Schnapps will not be a big selling mixed drink in KU bars this season.

~I predict that KU will not add a ticket scalping exhibit to the Hall of Fame this year.

~I predict that no one in Boulder will notice that CU switched to the Pac Ten.

~I predict that T. Boone Pickens will try to donate his increasingly worthless wind farms to OSU and OSU will refuse to take them.

jaybate 4 years, 5 months ago

~I predict the Oklahoma City Thunder will be no good until they entice a great college coach rumored to wear a rug to take over for $10M bones a year with a 5-year guaranty.

~I predict that it will be hot in Kansas this summer and cold year round on Pluto.

~I predict Turner Gill will lose more hair from coaching stress than I do the next five years.

~I predict that the next AD will be someone with an Oklahoma accent.

~I predict that Tom Keegan will write at least three stories next season in which he hypes opponents in larger media markets than Lawrence in hopes of getting hired by one of the dailies in those bigger media markets.

~I predict that Dr. Tom Osborne will look even more pale after NU is in the Big Ten for a year.

~I predict we will not use Allen Field house to warehouse alien space ships from Area 51.

~I predict that fans will come to understand how special Sherron Collins was, as soon as we play three games without him.

~I predict that I will mask weaknesses and showcase strengths of players this season with my usual virtuousity and somehow miraculously win 80 percent of the games we play yet again!

(Note: Coach Self made none of the above predictions. And only the last one is true, despite him not having said so. The rest are completely fictitious and satirical. No malice is intended.)

KGphoto 4 years, 5 months ago

"imbalanced reliance on Sherron Collins..."

That's good.

Now if Selby can just time the ally-oop, and if somebody can just get up and stuff it like D or Shaka Kahn, we'll be golden again.

By the way, that MJ photo is pretty ornery.