Monday, June 14, 2010

Reed reveals broken big toe

Kansas guard played through pain in NCAA Tournament

Tyrel Reed (14) launches a three-point shot during KU’s 69-67 loss in the second round of the NCAA Tournament to Northern Iowa in this file photo from March 20 in Oklahoma City. Reed said Sunday he played in the NCAAs with a broken big toe.

Tyrel Reed didn’t say anything about it at the time.

But it turns out Kansas University’s 6-foot-3 guard from Burlington played two games in last year’s NCAA Tournament with a broken big toe on his left foot.

“I broke it in the Big 12 championship game against K-State,” Reed revealed Sunday after signing autographs for three hours at Bill Self’s basketball camp.

“I was guarding one of their guys, (Denis) Clemente or (Jacob) Pullen, and jammed my toe into the back of their shoe or something.

“It’s one of those things the adrenaline gets going, and it’s not near as bad. When you are walking around, it’s sore and hurts, but once you get out there playing ... it wasn’t terrible,” added Reed, who hit four of seven threes and scored 12 points while playing 16 minutes in a first-round victory over Lehigh. He scored eight points off 3-of-6 shooting (two of four threes) in 26 minutes in a loss to Northern Iowa.

“They told me, ‘It’s going to hurt. It’s not going to be comfortable to play at all,’ but we have a great training staff. They weren’t putting me at risk or anything by playing,” Reed added. “It’s one of those things that was going to be painful, but once the season was over I knew I’d have time to rest it.”

He did not need surgery — just a month’s worth of treatment and rest — for the toe to completely heal.

So why the secrecy during the NCAAs?

“I mean, you’re trying not to tell people, so if another team hears about it, they may come step on your toe or something like that,” Reed said.

“It’s here-nor-there, really,” he added, asked if the toe affected his play. “I was out there playing, so I’ve got to do my best job no matter what.”

Senior Brady Morningstar said he had no idea Reed had a busted toe entering the NCAAs.

“After the season, he couldn’t do individuals (workouts) and stuff,” Morningstar said. “I said, ‘Why can’t you do ’em?’ He said, ‘My toe is broken.’ I said, ‘Why didn’t you tell me?’ He said, ‘I don’t know.’ It didn’t surprise me at all. He’s a tough little country kid.”

KU coach Bill Self certainly appreciated Reed’s effort.

“He’s a stud. He’s as tough as any kid around,” Self said. “The thing about it is, late in the season everybody is nicked up. I don’t want to give him too much credit because he had no option but to play. There’s no option.

“Anybody else who had that injury would have played, too. He’s certainly very tough, and his performance wasn’t the least bit compromised because he was injured.”

Reed averaged 5.1 points with 39 assists against 15 turnovers last season. He hit 49.6 percent of his shots, including 44 of 93 threes (47.3 percent) while playing 15.6 minutes a game.

“He played so well last year. I think he’s going to play better this year,” Self said Sunday. “I’m so impressed with the progress he’s made.”

Uncertain time: Several KU players offered comments on the Big 12 realignment situation Sunday.

“I definitely couldn’t imagine it,” junior Marcus Morris said of KU not being in a major conference. “From being there so many years, and they (media) were talking about us moving to the Mountain West ... it would really be a big twist on that.

Morris said “not at all” when asked if he would have reconsidered his decision to attend KU if the Jayhawks had been in a league besides the Big 12.

“It is funny how everything is going and everything is happening. It will be amazing to see how everything finishes out. Wherever we go, however things end up, I’m still a basketball player,” Morris said.

“I would still have come (to KU),” sophomore Jeff Withey said. “I think no matter what we are going to get into a good conference. KU has the reputation of being a really good athletic school. I think for us it won’t be a big problem getting into any other conference.

“The Big 12 obviously was a huge conference for football and basketball. It’s a shame it’s going away if it does go away,” Withey added. “You never know what’s going to happen. I have no idea what’s going to happen.”

Reed and Morningstar said there’d be a strain on KU athletes if they are playing in the Pac-10 or Big East.

“With as much traveling as they are talking about, it’d be tough to stay up on your schoolwork,” Reed said. “They (players) would be gone for longer periods of time.”

“If it’s the Pac-10 and all those trips, I think it would be hard,” Morningstar said. “Travel is a huge part of your schedule. You are scheduling around classes and everything, which is why you have the conferences because they are in your area. Moving conferences and playing a whole bunch of East Coast or West Coast games ... that could be tough on kids.”

No Jayhawk was willing to commit Sunday to being part of a possible student-athlete lawsuit against the NCAA. It’s been speculated athletes might want to protest being used as pawns by schools out to get the best possible TV deals.

“I am a little upset. The NCAA has some flaws to it, of course everything does,” Withey said. “It’s a hard thing. You have to go through the whole story before anything (like a lawsuit) happens.”

Noted Reed: “I’m sure somebody would probably try it somewhere down the road. I don’t know if I would myself. I don’t think I would. I don’t know. It’s just too bad, really. I love the Big 12. I’ve been fortunate enough to play in it, and now everything’s getting changed.”

Morningstar was able to keep his keep his sense of humor: “Are people thinking about doing that?” he asked of suing. “I mean, if we all got a fair share … ”

Self believes there’s a chance the Big 12 will remain intact

“Not knowing everything going on, I think there is hope,” he said. “I think some things certainly have to happen. There have to be some really good discussions in the very near future. I do think there’s hope. I know our commissioner is trying hard and has a game plan, and I know our athletic director is definitely working all angles. But that is something we would all love to see happen. I think our commissioner is pulling all stops. Of course, TV plays a huge role in that.”

Comments

Dyrk Dugan 9 years, 7 months ago

Reed is tough for sure. He'll have a good senior year.

brooksmd 9 years, 7 months ago

Interesting twist on conference realignment. Word is Fedex is offering $10 million to any BCS conference that would bring in Memphis. Basketball wise, Memphis would be a big plus over Colorado/Nebraska, and open that area for football recruiting.

jhwk215 9 years, 7 months ago

i was really curious at to what the players' opinions were on the whole conference issues, thanks! also loving reed's toughness!

jaybate 9 years, 7 months ago

Part I

"Its Monday, We're Still Alive, and It Is Time to Go on the Offensive"

} Tyrel = Tough.

Abstract: The current leading Jedi of Getting Better behind Bill Self, the Yoda of Getting Better. Probably will average 30 minutes a game this season (to everyone's surprise), either subbing 5 minutes per half for each of the 1, 2 and 3 position starters, or will, by January, simply become our third option starting at the 2 or 3 this season by January. The athletic guys will get their pre-conference looks, as always, but when Self weighs trey percentage, defense, TOs, and strips during Getting Better Week first week of January, Tyrel will begin to be the 2, or the 3, depending on which other 2, or 3, shoots the best from trey (Tyrel will get the other spot), and the athletic guys will be situational subs for him, when we need a short burst of slashing, or a taller defender. Tyrel proves one thing: Its great to be great from the start, but the next best thing is to keep getting better and better. For a perimeter player, relentless incremental improvement in the cornerstones of play--on-ball defense, off-ball defense, protecting the ball, stripping, trey shooting, FT shooting and post feeding eventually converge and produce nonlinear improvement that other players riding on athleticism, or only able to improve in one or two things, can't compete with. If only there were a test for knowing which guys could relentlessly get better. Imagine a team full of them, especially ones with great athleticism to go with it. One would win rings like crazy.

} Total Victory in Realignment= Hold the North + Replace the South + Forget Merging West + Add East/Merge East + KUiBoxSeat.org

Abstract: KU, KSU, MU, ISU, OU, OSU, Baylor, plus SMU and Houston, plus resisting quick fixes of mountain, or western time zone conference mergers, plus adding teams from Eastern time zone and/or merging with Big East, or ACC, plus adding an internet portal with subscription fee that grants access to KU sports that cannot be gotten elsewhere equals total victory. Anything less, like the Mountain West, or Pac Ten, which are KU bend overs, and don't come back alive.

} Solution to KU's television revenue problems: KUiBoxSeat.org

$300/year * (50,000 active KU sports fans + 20,000 tertiary fans) = $21,000,000/yr plus click revenues plus merchandizing revenues.

Abstract: There is so much TV content value not being developed and marketed by KU that it is ridiculous. I propose KUAD start KUiBoxSeat.org for a $300/year subscription. Tell KU fans it is the only way for KU to create a remotely level revenue playing field and it is necessary to save KU basketball from a bunch of Texas and TV predators trying to wreck KU basketball, and they will subscribe. To be blunt, KUAD has not one problem right now that an additional $21 Million per year of revenue would not solve completely.

jaybate 9 years, 7 months ago

Part II

Given: KU will never get fair coverage, or fair revenue sharing, from sports TV contracts in any form of conference realignment. It cannot happen due to where the eyeballs are spatially distributed and where KU is located. Pursuit of such is foolish Quixotism.

Solution: KUAD creates KUiBoxSeat.org . It costs $300/year. It is full of live feeds of practices, feeds of assistant coaches and their scouting tapes of the next opponent and their analyses of the next opponent. feeds of coaches breaking down the previous game with telestrators, feeds of coaches actually meeting with recruits and archived feeds of the actual games, and, there may be ways to actually feed the games live, or on short delay.

Concept: KUiBoxSeat.org opens up in a window of its own. For games KUiBoxSeat.org cannot live feed, the KUiBoxSeat.org is the interactive complement to the game. If they won't let KUiBoxSeat.org live feed the game, then KUiBoxSeat.org free rides on the network feeds, with an interactive experience that the networks can't match. And over and above the games, KUiBoxSeat.org creates vastly more access to KU basketball activities than it allows the networks to provide. Frankly, I would rather watch KU practice, and work on drills, and watch coaches' strategy meetings, tape breakdowns, etc. than 95% of network/cable content. American Idol for free, or KUiBoxSeat.org for $300/year? Help save KU basketball from the Texas oilagarchs trying to destroy KU basketball, so they can get a conference alignment that helps them? Sign me up NOW!!!

The give away the service model is king when you are dealing in non monopoly content/software on the net. But for monopoly content, and monopoly software, the license/subscription is ideal. Jobs and Microsoft both continue to prove that in monopoly goods, you are a sucker not to sell the bits, and license the bites, and open platforms are for suckers. Steve doesn't give his iPhones away, and Ballmer doesn't give Windows away.KU shouldn't give KU basketball away to a bunch of network whores and it should market the non-game content KU is not even bothering to tape right now.

} Contain, flank, attack!

Rock Chalk!

KGphoto 9 years, 7 months ago

Way to be, Reed. Pass that toughness along.

One thing I haven't heard since the start of the re-alignment/looting of the Big 12. How will KU play? Possibly, for the first time in their existence, they will have a quaking foundation. KU has been a cornerstone of college basketball for over a hundred years. Now they may be the step-child in a new conference. It just seems unimaginable.

My guess is, they will play out of their minds, wherever they land. The jilting they're getting now will manifest itself into an emotional hurricane of energy and focus, and for at least this year, you'll see both the football and basketball teams playing with nothing to lose. The "Nobody gave us a chance" mentality that proves as successful on a court, as in a boxing ring, will permeate the locker rooms, and the stands. The fans and the players are going to take their relationships to a new level this year. And I think the result will be a Final Four and a nice bowl victory.

KGphoto 9 years, 7 months ago

Kansas is the greatest of all time!

We're gonna shake up the world!

ku98 9 years, 7 months ago

Read somewhere that Sherron showed up at 229lbs for an individual workout with NJ. He weighed 217lbs at the NBA combine in Chicago. WTF?