Originally published June 8, 2010 at 04:40p.m., updated June 8, 2010 at 07:25p.m.

Selby out 4 to 6 weeks with broken little finger in left hand

Freshman guard greets media with hand in a cast

Kansas recruit Josh Selby warms up prior to the start of the Jordan Brand Classic Saturday, April 17, 2010, at Madison Square Garden.

Incoming Kansas University freshman point guard Josh Selby arrived for his first official interview session with local media members Tuesday afternoon sporting a bulky cast on his left, non-shooting hand.

photo

Kansas University freshman Josh Selby talks with media members in this June 8, 2010 file photo, a day after his arrival in Lawrence. Selby was listed as one recruit connected with violations made by Tennessee coach Bruce Pearl.

Kansas recruit Selby breaks finger

Selby broke his pinky in a pickup game and will be out for four to six weeks.

The country’s No. 1-ranked basketball player in the recruiting class of 2010 broke his pinkie Monday while playing in a pick-up game at KU shortly after arriving from his hometown of Baltimore.

Selby, who said he first hurt his hand playing pick-up back home, did not need surgery. He’ll miss four to six weeks of pick-up action.

“I was always told, ‘If you are hurt, you can still play,’’’ Selby said. He recently continued playing in an IS8 tournament game in New York, flushing home an alley-oop dunk shortly after suffering a tear in his right hand that required nine stitches to close.

“The only time you really can’t play,” Selby added, “is when you are dead.”

The 6-foot-3 McDonald’s All-American out of Lake Clifton High realizes this injury will require sitting out more than a month. Selby, whose cast will be on four weeks, with two weeks of rehab to follow, will attend six hours of summer-school classes and also “keep conditioning, work on my body and do a lot of ballhandling drills” in that span.

Selby — he said he’ll be rooming with KU team manager Douglas Compton in Jayhawker Towers — has had a whirlwind couple of days.

He graduated Saturday, attended a huge family dinner Sunday and reported to KU on Monday.

“It was an emotional day for my family,” Selby said of Monday’s travel day. “Not really for me, because I wanted to leave Baltimore (because of high crime rate), but they didn’t want to see me go so early.

“My mom was crying all the way to the airport, so my brothers had to drive me. She sat in the back seat.”

Selby’s mother, Maeshon, admits she had a tough time saying goodbye to her son, who will wear No. 32 here in honor of his mom, who wore that number playing ball in high school.

“You always know it’s coming, but not as fast as it did,” she said in a phone interview, referring to her only child leaving for college. “I already miss him. A lot of people around here already miss him.

“In our family, if you are a friend, you are family,” she added, explaining Josh’s use of the term ‘brothers.’

“He claims about three that are brothers. Josh has a big heart. Once you are in with him, you are in. There is no gray area.”

Maeshon, who reports that she plans to move to Lawrence before the 2010-11 season if she can find suitable work here, indicated her son’s injury will be just a minor setback.

“The only call that will surprise me if somebody calls and says Josh can’t find a gym,” she said.

Selby realizes there’s a lot of work ahead as he embraces taking over for former KU point guard Sherron Collins.

“I do feel pressure because Sherron Collins left with a lot of things: He was the winningest player to play in college,” Selby said of KU’s all-time winningest player. “He was on that team that won the ’08 national championship. It’s going to be very hard to do, but I think I can fill his shoes.”

He said he talked to Collins a lot, “during the season, not after. I guess after that loss (to Northern Iowa in NCAAs) he was down, so we lost contact.”

Selby said he observed some interesting things about Collins, Self and KU’s fans while attending KU’s game against Iowa State last winter in Allen Fieldhouse.

“He can be your friend one day, but he can also get on you. He can push on you and make you work hard,” he said of coach Bill Self. “He was in Sherron Collins’ head a couple times, fussing at him. He also patted him on the back and said, ‘C’mon, let’s go.’

“When the team was down, I think Sherron Collins missed a wide-open layup. Instead of booing him, they (fans) cheered him. He made some big plays after that,” Selby added, lauding KU’s fans who he said, “make you feel like it’s your home. You really don’t miss your home when you get here.”

Selby said his goal is to immediately lead, just like Collins.

“Getting the guys involved, into the game, bring the heart and bring the energy,” Selby said of his goals.

“I think it is unusual,” he added of a freshman being the floor leader at a tradition-rich school like KU, “but there’s some things you have to do. Hopefully I don’t play like a freshman this year.”

Selby — he said he has closely followed the careers of Carmelo Anthony and Dwayne Wade and in fact speaks with Anthony a lot — insists he’s not in a hurry to join them in the NBA.

In the past, he has indicated his dream is to be a “one-and-done” player.

“I am not thinking about the next level now,” Selby said. “I am thinking about what’s happening right now, which is Kansas. We are worried about winning a national championship. If I get to the next level, I get to the next level, but it’s not my main focus.”

KU’s players and coaches are happy to have Selby aboard.

“I mean, I heard he’s good. I’ve seen some YouTube stuff of him,” senior Mario Little said. “Hopefully he’ll come humbled and ready to play for Kansas. There have been so many great point guards here at Kansas. We’ll be backing him up. I’ll tell him little things. Tyshawn (Taylor) will tell him little things. We’re going to help him out. It is probably going to be a lot of pressure coming to a university like this and trying to put a team on your back, especially a point guard.”

Noted assistant Danny Manning: “It’s yet to be determined exactly what his role will be and the impact he will have, but we do think he will be someone who has an impact from Day One. He has a very vibrant personality. He competes at a very high level. Just those two things alone will help our team come together with the loss of Sherron, Xavier (Henry) and Cole (Aldrich).”

Assistant Kurtis Townsend likes the way Selby already is blending in.

“The guys like him. He likes the guys. He’s really a good player, a good replacement for Sherron, we think,” Townsend said.

Head coach Bill Self has mentioned the fact Selby is the highest-rated player he ever has recruited. KU’s coach is not at all down over the fact it’ll be six weeks before Selby hits the court running.

“Unfortunately, Josh broke his left hand pinkie after he got to KU last night while playing pick-up,” Self said Tuesday. “Even though the cast will be on four to six weeks, he will be able to do his skillwork with limited shooting. We're disappointed, but this is a very small setback in the big scheme of things.”

A very small setback.

“I’m excited to be at Kansas,” Selby declared. “I just love it here.”

His mother added: “I know he’s excited to be at KU. I don’t know if he’s ready for college. It’s come so fast. I hope he’s ready.”

Comments

tophawk1983 9 years, 10 months ago

Unbelievable. This isn't SERIOUS but my goodness what is next???

KU1992 9 years, 10 months ago

This month gets worse and worse. I know this isn't a huge deal. but it's kind of the cherry on top, and we wont even be served our sunday for a while I assume.

Kent Wells 9 years, 10 months ago

Snap, crackle, pop, baby. Keep hope alive!

Ron_Kellogg 9 years, 10 months ago

I can't say it enough times, we must keep hope alive

lee3022 9 years, 10 months ago

"I'm very excited to be here at Kansas," Selby said. "They have a great coaching staff, a great group of guys and a winning history."

I look forward to the next interview when the "they" becomes "we".

Injuries are season changers for so many teams. We will hope there are no lasting effects from this one and Josh can watch the pick-up games to learn more about tendencies and preferences of his new teammates while he is out.

Jaminrawk 9 years, 10 months ago

Well, we could have recruited Tony Mitchell who apparently went to school part time and made up two grades in a day by taking like 5 tests in two hours.

Jaminrawk 9 years, 10 months ago

JayhawkPurist 9 years, 9 months ago

"I was always told, 'If you're hurt, you can still play, The only time you really can't play is when you're dead.'"

Classic. Absolutely classic. Love this guy already.

JJHawq 9 years, 9 months ago

Yeah - I like that A LOT! Classic for sure!

dynamitehawk 9 years, 9 months ago

Can't make butter with a toothpick. Get well soon.

Mike Kendall 9 years, 9 months ago

Unbelievable! Hope this isn't the start of "bad luck" for Selby. He should be okay going into the Fall, right?

jaybate 9 years, 9 months ago

Josh Selby...greatest medical red shirt in KU history!

:-)

Martin Rosenblum 9 years, 9 months ago

More details on the pick-up game please!

C'mon LJW, surely you guys have reliable sources who can put a better story together than this!

We need details - this is Josh "freakin" Selby we're talking about. All you got is that he broke his pinkie finger in a pick-up game the night he got to Lawrence?

I bet the JNS stringers could get some dirt on this event.

Benjamin Piehler 9 years, 9 months ago

ive wondered over the last year a few times if the higher powers are trying to teach me a lesson through my love of KU. seriously, what next?

Martin Rosenblum 9 years, 9 months ago

Maybe your lifestyle could use some analysis. "Towely" being your avatar denotes some tendencies that could explain some paranoia if you follow his bad habits. It's not all about you and how the year has treated you. We're all in awe of the developments surrounding KU sports. But, to think you're being "tested" because you're a fan? Maybe you should see all of this as a sign that it's time to let "Towely" go.

KEITHMILES05 9 years, 9 months ago

All this whining like the world has ended needs to stop.

This is nothing to complain about. The kid is tough and it's his non shooting hand.

Just stop it.

KEITHMILES05 9 years, 9 months ago

All this whining like the world has ended needs to stop.

Just stop it.

JacquesMerde 9 years, 9 months ago

He seems like a nice kid. KU can always use more of these.

Matt Kenton 9 years, 9 months ago

Broke his PINKIE finger on his NON-SHOOTING hand. Out 4-6 weeks in JUNE.

After that, a collection of some of the best quotes by an incoming freshman I've ever heard.

I saw nothing but positives in this article.

Jonathan Allison 9 years, 9 months ago

I agree with KeithMiles,

the best thing that ever happened to my jumpshot in HS was breaking my non-shooting wrist. I did nothing but work on my shooting form for 3 weeks.

This is good for him. He'll be able to focus on conditioning, ball-handling, and shooting all summer. He's already got the skills, and I'm not worried about him gelling with his teammates. He'll be a natural.

Tony Bandle 9 years, 9 months ago

Things you can do with a cast;

1] To complement Jaybate's Thugball Theory, Josh, keep the cast on all season and you can use it as a battering ram when you penetrate the middle.

2] Collect all kinds of cool autographs and sell it when you're done!

3] Split it in half and use it as a planter.

4] Garnish the sympathy vote from the female gender [ not as good as a baby or a puppy, but pretty close! ]

5] Great flotation device...at least for awhile, anyway.

6] Draw an anchor on it and pretend your Popeye.

7] Put it on a shelf as a reminder that it could have been a knee, an ankle or an elbow and be thankful......and careful.

jaybate 9 years, 9 months ago

jaybate news service (jns):

Dateline: Larryville, KS

Slug: Selby's Cast Part of New XTReme Strategy...

jns stringers report the broken pinkie is a cover story. What is really going on here is that Selby will wear the cast all season as a hand-checking weapon. It is a prototype test in Self's transition to XTReme Ball aiming to counter Mike K's Fluke Brown Shirts. If it turns out that Selby can play with it on, despite protesting from opposing coaches, then month by month, over the course of the season, KU players will "break" pinkies and dawn the XTReme casts. By March, the entire team will be wearing XTReme casts.

XTReme Casts are the next killer app in XTReme Ball and have many tactical uses on the perimeter (called hand-checking with extreme prejudice), on the blocks (migraine makers), and in transition (plaster neckties).

If the XTReme Casts perform as expected, certain entreprenurial types related to the basketball program expect to incorporate as XTReme Casts R'Us and begin manufacturing lines of XTReme Casts for the NBA, Europe, colleges, high schools, and even kiddy league models. They will be sold through major national chain sporting goods outlets. A customer will go to the sporting goods store, stick his hand in a laser scanning box up to his elbow, and a 3-D image of his hand and fist will be immediately up-loaded to XTReme Casts R'Us. Using CAD-CAM, the cast will be perfectly formed and fitted to the player's measurements and will be shipped to him in a soft interim state allowing him to slip it on, apply a patented secret solution that will quickly harden the cast, and the player will wear it for a season, before going to the team physician to have it removed for the off-season. jns stringers report that a whole line of customizing imagery is also being planned for the casts with various gang and pagan imagery being options for consideration.

Developing...

Eric Schneider 9 years, 9 months ago

I don't see this being an issue at all. But come on. Can we get some good news this summer?

jhokfan 9 years, 9 months ago

We must have pissed off the sports gods somewhere because we've had more excrement fall on us in the last 12 months than any program deserves. Time to sacrifice a virgin.

okiedave 9 years, 9 months ago

Josh -- all hope is not lost in playing basketball, even if a basketball player is dead. He may not get a scholarship, but a walk-on at Missouri could be available.

P.S. "walk on" is merely used in the broad sence. They pretty much roll you to your assigned position.

tstanlick1909 9 years, 9 months ago

Seeing him in that pic and that video was good for me. He looks good in the colors. He's gonna look even better soaring from the free throw line with his nuts on opponents heads

Speaking of which, any word yet on what number he will wear? I think 32 has to be the favorite

jaybate 9 years, 9 months ago

Selby--fx finger

TRob--splattered honker

Marcus--bruised back

No, no, no, no, noooooooooooooooooo, there's nothing to XTReme Ball comin' atcha.

VegasJhawk09 9 years, 9 months ago

I really like this Selby kid already. Great attitude, great enthusiasm, killer game. Who cares about a broken finger he says!? He throws down nasty dunks with a bloody gash in his hand! Thats cool.