Tuesday, July 20, 2010

KU senior guard Reed adds physical therapy internship to busy summer schedule

Kansas University guard Tyrel Reed works with Jenna Brantley, a Baker University senior guard who tore her ACL, Monday at OrthoKansas. Reed, an exercise science major, is interning with Lawrence physical therapist Randy Freivogel.

Tyrel Reed rolled out of bed at 6:30 a.m., Monday for a 7 o’clock weightlifting session in Anderson Family Strength and Conditioning Center next to Allen Fieldhouse.

photo

Kansas University guard Tyrel Reed monitors Jenna Brantley, a Baker University guard, as she works out on the Vertimax machine Monday at OrthoKansas. Reed is working as a physical therapy intern this summer.

Reed, Kansas University’s 6-foot-3 senior basketball guard from Burlington, completed his drills with strength coach Andrea Hudy, then showered, put on a pink golf shirt, gray dress slacks and a name tag and reported at 8:15 sharp for work as a physical therapy intern at OrthoKansas (1112 W. Sixth Street).

At 5 p.m. — after putting in a full day assisting therapist Randy Freivogel — Reed returned to the fieldhouse for a shooting session.

“It’s been a great day, a long day,” Reed said enthusiastically after helping direct an hour-long OrthoKansas rehab session with Baker University senior basketball player Jenna Brantley.

Brantley, a former Free State High standout, is 17 weeks removed from right ACL surgery and is on schedule for a return to the court for the start of the 2010-11 season.

“I’m having fun (but) it’s been kind of a grueling summer with camps, workouts, my internship, a bunch of different things,” Reed added.

Reed — who has been working on improving his own body and game this summer as he prepares for his final season at KU — has been helping others at OrthoKansas since early June. The exercise science major will be eligible to graduate in December after completing his 15-hour internship.

The internship spans three credit hours this summer; 12 next semester.

“I’ve been in a training room my whole life with injuries and seeing other people get injured playing basketball. I’ve always wanted to help people get better. Now I’m finally getting to do it and I really enjoy it,” said Reed, who decided long ago to pursue a career as a physical therapist.

“I hurt my ankle pretty bad when I was a senior in high school. Once I went to physical therapy and got some rehab and saw the whole setting — people getting healthy — that’s when I decided I wanted to do it.”

Reed in coming months will take the GRE test required for acceptance into graduate school. If Reed decides to not play professional basketball in Europe, he’ll begin three years of physical therapy classes — likely at KU — during the 2011-12 school year.

Freivogel believes Reed definitely has what it takes to succeed in the medical field.

“One of the biggest things in our area is the interaction — the rapport you build up with patients — because we’ll have patients come in and work with us an hour at a time, maybe come in two or three times a week and that may be going on for several weeks,” Freivogel said.

“There has to be a relationship built between the therapist and the patient. Sometimes on a second or third trip the patient will tell you a little more about things that are going on — the problems they may be having — so you have to build up that rapport.

“Tyrel gets along great with people. He has good social skills. He knows when to ask the right questions and when not to ask certain questions. He’s interested in what is going on with them. I think he wishes he could do more than what we let him do, but we have guidelines, restrictions we have to follow.”

Reed on Monday timed Brantley as she performed certain lower and upper body exercises. At one point, he quizzed her about her jersey number — it’s No. 3 — perhaps helping take her mind off the taxing physical tests.

“He pushes me when I’m getting tired, encourages me to keep going. He’s really helpful,” said Brantley, who will embark on her own career as a physical therapist.

“Being a basketball player as well ... we can really relate,” added Brantley. She kidded Reed as he began cleaning and toweling off the exercise equipment — working as a “merry maid” — as Reed’s work day came to a close.

“Jenna comes in here, works hard and never complains. That’s what you want to see out of a patient, somebody who wants to get better. That’s definitely Jenna,” Reed said.

“She said she actually scheduled her surgery after the national championship because she thought hopefully we’d be there and she could celebrate on Mass Street. I just apologized to her, so hopefully next year we can make her wish come true.”

Reed certainly has learned a lot watching all kind of patients come through the facility.

“We have athletes here, but we also have individuals (from) a much wider scope — people who have total joint replacements, foot and ankle injuries, shoulder surgery, things that are a little different from what he’s seen at the university in the training room environment,” Freivogel said.

Reed’s mentor isn’t afraid to put the high-profile basketball player to work.

“He watches and does some things, helps us in the clinic. It’s a learning process for him,” Freivogel said.

“I’ll talk to him about what’s going on with a certain diagnosis, certain injury. (I’ll ask), ‘What are we trying to get them back to? What are we doing here?’’’

Reed appreciates the instruction in a pleasant work environment.

“You should have been here during the World Cup. We had it going on the TV all day,” Reed said, pointing to one of the sets patients can view while working out.

“You should have been here during the Olympics, Tyrel. We kind of adopted curling as our sport. You’d have become a curling fan,” Freivogel said with a laugh.

Comments

KU_Alumn_2000 7 years, 4 months ago

By the looks of these pictures...I can see why he added physical therepy to his summer!!! :). Atta boy reed

Matt Bowers 7 years, 4 months ago

My first thought as well! Keep up the good work Reed.

Rock Chalk

Brad Avery 7 years, 4 months ago

He looks as though he is having a stressful summer having to assist attractive, female basketball players round back into shape. Hope it isn't too much pressure for him.

Martin Rosenblum 7 years, 4 months ago

Pink Golf shirt? Was that Tyrel's choice or is it a uniform requirement a the OrthoKansas rehab center?

Rivethead 7 years, 4 months ago

Real men don't wear pink golf shirts. Unless they're paid well.

tis4tim 7 years, 4 months ago

Clearly, I chose the wrong career path.

Otownhawker 7 years, 4 months ago

tis4tim, man, I know what you mean the female patient is a very attractive young lady.

Jonathan Allison 7 years, 4 months ago

guaranteed that not all of his patients are female or nearly as good-looking. But ever job has its perks I guess.

jchief40 7 years, 4 months ago

Dan Harris 7 years, 4 months ago

Sam Constance 7 years, 4 months ago

Ron Prichard 7 years, 4 months ago

So, will Reed play in Europe after his college carreer? Um...let's wait and find out. By the way, what comment above yours is perverted? I read them all again and they actually seem rather tame and a couple are even respectful. Where your mind goes with that is your problem, but apparently its a very dark and angry place.

KU08 7 years, 4 months ago

You remind me of Stu's girlfriend in that movie The Hangover. Seriously, you should see that movie. It's nothing but good clean family fun.

Sam Constance 7 years, 4 months ago

"Get a life, or more rather, get lives."

Irony Alert!!!

didjabuti 7 years, 4 months ago

"That female is someone's daughter and/or niece."
So it may not be someone's daughter?

Tony Bandle 7 years, 4 months ago

anthonyzal

"methinks thou dost protest too much..." WS

Hello All!! Just got back from a week and a half in Alaska. The utter magnificence of this wilderness puts a lot of what we post about in perspective. I did wear my KU gear up there, however, and found a lot of fellow Jayhawks.

Travel tip: If at all possible, in your lifetimes, get to Juneau and book the helicopter, glacier, dog sled camp excursion. You land on top of the Mendenhall Glacier, interact with true mushers and handlers who are training the dogs for The Iditorad and find yourself in a setting that is truly another world.

I can only describe Alaska by saying that if you are not overwhelmed by what is still out there that we haven't screwed up yet, I will pay for your trip!!!

Chicago_JHawk 7 years, 4 months ago

Glad you enjoyed your trip! I just spent 8 days in AK myself - Kenai Peninsula and Talkeetna myself. The scenery is truly stunning!

KU08 7 years, 4 months ago

I so envy you. A trip to Alaska's definitely on my list of things to do in the next year or two.

tis4tim 7 years, 4 months ago

"A douche is a douche is a douche" - me.

jchief40 7 years, 4 months ago

Typical ugly woman commenting. Actually it is you who sounds like an uptight douche. Men love commenting on pretty women - get over it.

tis4tim 7 years, 4 months ago

LOL...because your proclivity to pop off at the mouth to complete strangers has obviously done wonders for your social life, now hasn't it?

tis4tim 7 years, 4 months ago

BTW, sorry for the late reply. I had to tidy up the basement.

Chris Shaw 7 years, 4 months ago

Oakville, Any chance of flying back up to Alaska and taking anthonyzal with ya. I'm sure there is remote place the dogsleds can drag the garbage to.

Chris Shaw 7 years, 4 months ago

Better yet, dress him up as a Seal and then drop him in the ocean during the whale watching tour. See what fun the whales would have then. The sound effects Whales make of complete joy while tossing a Seal 40 feet in the air is quite a spectacle.

It's a shame we can't tell them that it's not polite to play with their food.

tis4tim 7 years, 4 months ago

The word libido, when pluralized, should not have an apostrophe. Even I know that and I live in the basement.

KU08 7 years, 4 months ago

What are you smoking? kushaw is one of the best posters on this site.

Chris Shaw 7 years, 4 months ago

This truly an amazing video. Is that you anthonsealzal? I sure hope not. I don't wish that type of ridicule on anybody.

Tossed for a half hour? Brutal, just brutal.

Chris Shaw 7 years, 4 months ago

Look how much "Air" that Seal gets right at the end of the video.

jchief40 7 years, 4 months ago

Wow that time of the month? ;) Don't ruin it for the rest of us.

stravinsky 7 years, 4 months ago

"That female is someone's daughter and/or niece. Perverts."

You can be a niece without being a daughter? Technology these days is getting CRAZY.

Also, chill the hell out, dude.

ON TOPIC:

Great to hear Reed is getting some good opportunities to do what he loves after college. From what I've heard both from media as well as people who knew him from high school and such, Tyrel is a fantastic person and a real high character guy. Always nice to hear stories about good things happening for good people.

stravinsky 7 years, 4 months ago

Ron Prichard 7 years, 4 months ago

First off, genius, the girl is in college. It's pretty much impossible to be guilty of pediphelia when you are looking at someone over 18.

jchief40 7 years, 4 months ago

So funny because I think that's why everybody is so ??? about her (anthony's) comments. Something bad must have happened long ago. It's obviously a sensitive subject. She/he will have to get over it. Sounds like a she though...

jchief40 7 years, 4 months ago

You need to vanish from these boards pronto. How do you go from comments on a college girl to a sex offender you freakin' crazy lady!

stravinsky 7 years, 4 months ago

"So your comments are protected by the first amendment, but mine aren't?"

Yes, that is exactly it. My comments are protected, as are pretty much everyone else's here, because there is nothing even borderline illegal about anyone else's comments. However making the personal attacks and accusations you've been making against people for merely calling someone "attractive" falls pretty clearly into defamation, which isn't protected by the constitution.

There are a half dozen people from this thread alone who could take you to court for defamation and win without any hesitation.

rhino11 7 years, 4 months ago

What pointless commentary from the peanut gallery...How about we focus on Reed? The kid is working hard and is putting a lot of time into his game and his career. Good things are in store for him.

sevenyearhawk 7 years, 4 months ago

Intentional or not ... this photo is certainly attention grabbing.

And it got a lot of tongues wagging - or should I say fingers tapping?

Giggity.

dynamitehawk 7 years, 4 months ago

I'm more interested in the other picture where Tyrel has her doing the exercise where she picks up two giant black balls. What's that called?

dynamitehawk 7 years, 4 months ago

Oh dang, I didn't read. There I go again looking at pictures then making assumptions...

Jonathan Allison 7 years, 4 months ago

I was hoping that you wouldn't notice that I had just read the caption. Then I would look like an expert.

oh well.

dynamitehawk 7 years, 4 months ago

I totally would have named it something else if I were in charge. FWIW - Thank God I am not in charge.

Rock Chalk

jaybate 7 years, 4 months ago

Posting Hall of Fame. Running out of tissue paper wiping the tears from my eyes, as I can't stop laughing!

Kent Wells 7 years, 4 months ago

Jack Wilson 7 years, 4 months ago

Tim Bingaman 7 years, 4 months ago

I love the person that picked this picture.

There is NO way that Reed (in a Cabana-Boy outfit) "sneaking a peek" is going to go un-noticed OR un-commented on... nor should it. This is awesome!

Anthonyzal, your comment on it being someone's kid or niece is hilarious. (The words of someone trying to fight off "unpure" thoughts.)

In more ways than one, Reed will hit the real world one day... sometimes you have to work on old, sick people, not just rehabbing athletes.

Enjoy it while it lasts Buddy!

Kent Wells 7 years, 4 months ago

Kid has some discipline looking straight ahead. Me, I'd be looking at that butt. Keep that focus on the court!

Ron Prichard 7 years, 4 months ago

Seriously, you need to chill out. Your constant ranting is making you sound even crazier than you apparently are.

"By cracky, back in my day, if we looked at a pretty girl's butt, we were put in the hoosegow!"

She's cute, people acknowledged that, end of story. I didn't read anything inappropriate until you started chiming in, and then the most derogatory comments came from you. Enough already.

jchief40 7 years, 4 months ago

jchief40 7 years, 4 months ago

News flash: Most women would love to have men gawking at them. Why do you think they dress the way they do - they want to be noticed! They want to attract a mate like any other creature of the earth. And to think this is offensive to you?? You are quite an ODDBALL.

Kent Wells 7 years, 4 months ago

Kent Wells 7 years, 4 months ago

I'm black? I presume you mean from the waist down?

NH_JHawk 7 years, 4 months ago

methinks this is one of the most amusing threads/pictures I've seen in quite a while on kusports.com. carry on...

stravinsky 7 years, 4 months ago

Between our troll friend who makes soobawls look warm and cuddly and the allegations of pedophilia every other post (ironically, the Helen of Troy of subject is... in college), it has quickly become epic.

I think the youtube video Kushaw posted of the killer whales tossing around seals was what really clinched it for me though. SO EPIC. I love the over-the-top music and the dramatic british commentator.

KU08 7 years, 4 months ago

"Between our troll friend who makes soobawls look warm and cuddly..." = best comparison ever.

Jack Wilson 7 years, 4 months ago

My comment got zapped for violation of the usage agreement. Really unbelievable. Attempts at humor, no cursing, no insults, no requests for violence .. what is this?

dynamitehawk 7 years, 4 months ago

Agreed, and how in the heck did I get a free pass?

Tim Bingaman 7 years, 4 months ago

HighElite, I am more sorry than you. I actually popped back by the Comments for a quick laugh, and yours was at the top of my list. I can only remember a bit of it, but it was Absolutely hilarious and classic! Great work!

Maverick 7 years, 4 months ago

I wonder if she has a younger sister.

dynamitehawk 7 years, 4 months ago

Winner winner chicken dinner. Best post of the day (provided that you're kidding)...

Tony Bandle 7 years, 4 months ago

1] I agree with NH_JHawk..one of the funniest strings in a long, long time....and without Jaybate to boot. 2] If I make a totally inappropriate comment here at number 2 but keep the rest of the numbers squeeky clean, will they only zap #2 ? 3] Anthonyzal...sorry I offended you by commenting on a non-Kansas idea. Tell you what...Reed's hair looks quite nice on the picture above!! 4] KUShaw...actually took a cruise but throwing him overboard would probably work just as well. PS the video was awesome..reminded me of the dining room on the ship!!! 5] ....oh my goodness, I 'm laughing so hard I may pee in my pants!! 6]..it's great to be back home

Chris Shaw 7 years, 4 months ago

Oakville: Going on an Alaskan cruise in two years for my parents 50th. Would love your recommendations.

Chris Shaw 7 years, 4 months ago

That would be anniversary in case we have somebody on here looking for exact details.

Tony Bandle 7 years, 4 months ago

kushaw:

Go Princess Line...they're the best.

JUNEAU - Helicopter/Mendenhall Glacier/Dog Sled Camp - about $500 per person up to 250 lbs and about $750 for anyone over. Worth every penny....see comments above. Eat at the Red Dog Saloon.

SKAGWAY - Wilderness Wildlife Preserve at Mosquito Lake.- Wolf, Grizzly Bear, Porcupine, Moose, Caribou, Wolverine, Hawk, etc. up close and personal. The two guys who run it are really a hoot. {This includes a cool round trip on a fiord in a catamaran]. Eat at a former brothel, The Red Onion.

GLACIER BAY - Make sure your cruise has this location on the itinerary. Spectacular views of these amazing formations.

KETCHIKAN - Stay in town and shop. Also catch the cheesy but hilariously touristy Lumberjack Show.

kushaw, just some ideas...have a good time...bring lots of money!!

Jack Wilson 7 years, 4 months ago

With a handle like that, you should know.

Kent Wells 7 years, 4 months ago

That particular reference to the Kansas Statutes is disturbing.

Steve Williams 7 years, 4 months ago

babyjay1 7 years, 4 months ago

Wow - can't believe all this over a GIRL in a picture! Have some of you never seen a pretty girl before? This whole stream of comments is almost too funny :)

MrPilot 7 years, 4 months ago

I don't really have any comments to make, I just wanted to be sure I had a post in this epic thread. :-)

Martin Rosenblum 7 years, 4 months ago

May I be the first to say: Anthonyzal is not a douche. To impose such a negative image and portrayal of douche products is unconscionable. The inventor of douche products would have a fantastic case for slander and defamation of his products. To insinuate that a product with such merit and purpose is in any way portrayed by Anthonzal is insulting to anyone who has ever benefited from the use of a douche product.

On the other hand, a fair and more representative term for him would be....well, I just can't go there for fear of having this post removed for violation of many of the website's terms.

Just don't call him a douche, please!

Martin Rosenblum 7 years, 4 months ago

Your words, Wells!

But, still an insult to an otherwise purposeful product.

Dig deeper.....if you dare!

Kent Wells 7 years, 4 months ago

Martin Rosenblum 7 years, 4 months ago

You're getting hotter Wells.

Now, to reveal the true comparison of Anthonyzal.

If you left your last guess lying in the sun, rain and mud in an alley for 12 months, the stuff left inside is what Anthonyzal should be compared to!

jaybate 7 years, 4 months ago

Posting Hall of Fame. First time I recall two--first Dyna's two black balls observation, now your defense of the douche bag--in one thread! I've now ripped a pillow off the bed and am using it to absorb the tears from laughing so hard.

Kent Wells 7 years, 4 months ago

So, if I can articulate a response in defense of spent rubbers, would I have honorable mention status?

I do have a recycling market identified and a business plan ready for review.

Martin Rosenblum 7 years, 4 months ago

What you're saying then is, "Coming Soon - Wells Used Jimmies"?

Kent Wells 7 years, 4 months ago

Actually my notion was to sell them as chewing gum in San Francisco.

The market research department must reconvene to determine if there is enough time on my hands for "Wells's Used Jimmys" or "Wells Used Jimmys". QA could be problematic.

Martin Rosenblum 7 years, 4 months ago

The possessive form of the venture name would really put pressure on you. Prolific as you may be, the supply side of this equation could be problematic. The alternate form would broaden your supply chain and would bring variety and true diversity to your product line. Always go broader vs.deeper!

Mike Kendall 7 years, 4 months ago

I was laughing out loud at everyone comments that I am totally speechless!!!!!

Great entertainment---very funny. I was disappointed that Chuck Berry didn't respond.

And where the heck is Jaybate, when you think you need him.

Oakville and KU Shaw---I don't have to defend you both---I enjoy your posts. I am glad I didn't have to break up that fight between the seal and the Orcas!!!!

jaybate 7 years, 4 months ago

I am not up to the challenge. There is no topping these tonight!

John Randall 7 years, 4 months ago

Well, you young sprights do have a lot of perspective building to do.

The talk about trips to AK brought me out of the bushes here 25 mi. north of Homer. The comments about impressiveness of this whole state fall a little short, imo.

BTW, this trip is the culmination of a plan I hatched in 1953 – to drive the AlCanHwy which I accomplished two weeks ago. My jr hi English teacher insisted I write at least one book report on something besides a story about sports, so I read the combined journals of a surveyor and equipment operator from the Corps of Engineers on that 1942 mission to build a supply route from milepost 0 (Dawson Creek, BC, railhead of Northern Alberta RR) to milepost 1422 (Delta Jct, AK, end of gravel rd. so. of Fairbanks), and have never given up the idea that I wanted to see their fait accompli. The ongoing maintenance to keep roads serviceable here is as impressive as their construction. Once completing the AlCan with side trip to Skagway, I have traveled, end-to-end, the Dalton Hwy (to Deadhorse Camp on Prudhoe Bay), the Parks Hwy from Fairbanks to Homer, the Seward Hwy, and have yet to return over the Richardson Hwy, a bit of AlCan and then Taylor Hwy (Chicken/Eagle) and TopOfTheWorld to Dawson City, YT and Yukon Hwy back across AlCan at Whitehorse-Watson Lake and home through BC, WA, ID, MT, WY, NE, to good old KS where I can regale the Jewell County Sr Cit Ctr crowd with my exploits.

A septuagenarian with stainless steel hip joint, laser-cauterized duodenal ulcer, 'window screen' hernial barrier, prostate resection, cataract lens replacement the past two years and remnants of 52 years of pack-and-half a day smoking habit won't be apologizing for this couple of months on MY adventure without meeting the schedule of someone else's TOUR.

I, too, admire that Reed kid for his level-headed approach to using his solid, not spectacular, athletic ability for such a sensible advancement of his career goals. Damn fine example of a Kansan we should all be proud of.

Tony Bandle 7 years, 4 months ago

I would like to thank anthonyzal for his comments that initiated one of the truly great posting strings in the history of KUSports.com.

From the glacier formations in Alaska to the mental image of a reused condom [kuwells, awesome].......... boys and girls, we have outdone ourselves!!

Tony Bandle 7 years, 4 months ago

A-Z...I know we are all Crimson and Blue down deep and, in retrospect, you made some good points as the comments started to descend into "frat-rat" territory.

Good call on AK..hopefully you've been, if not, hopefully you'll get to go.

CRIMSONnBLUE 7 years, 4 months ago

Forget the article. I would do some physical therapy on his sister if I could! Lol

jaybate 7 years, 4 months ago

One thing everyone has missed about the pics: look at the size of Tyrel Reed's shoulders and biceps in the top pic! Tyrel looks ready for XTReme Muscle Ball right now!!!!

Put a body on them, Tyrel!

Martin Rosenblum 7 years, 4 months ago

Also unmentioned is the fact that he has a towel on her calves rather than his bare hands. PT need not be so stand-off-ish. He's got to go skin-on-skin at some point. Maybe since he's just an intern, he's not allowed the privileges of a full fledged professional.

FairgroveJayhawk 7 years, 4 months ago

Those are some funny posts, great stuff.

Reed, go over seas and play ball for a year or two, then apply to PT school. Your window to play abroad and see the world will not be open forever. To boot, it would be a unique bit of informaion on your application to KUMC.

Future's so bright, he's gotta to wear shades.