Saturday, July 17, 2010

Pump charity now off-limits to coaches

The NCAA has barred college basketball coaches from financial relationships with the Harold Pump Foundation, a charity run by college basketball power brokers David and Dana Pump, Yahoo! Sports reported Friday.

Yahoo! Sports reports on its website that “due to the Pumps’ financing of elite summer prep basketball teams, the NCAA has designated the brothers as ‘Individual(s) associated with a prospect,’ and made financial relationships impermissible between the Pumps’ foundation and Div. I schools and their coaching staffs.”

This will be the last summer the NCAA allows coaches and athletic directors to attend the annual Pump charity golf fundraiser in California.

The Pump brothers have been running the foundation since 1999. It was established in honor of their father Harold, a victim of cancer. A Yahoo! Sports investigation found the Pump Brothers played a role in the basketball ticket scandal at Kansas University. The brothers issued a statement saying they “have always conducted our business operations in an ethical, legal, and professional manner.”

Comments

FairgroveJayhawk 4 years, 2 months ago

Next headline, "pump charity off to federal prison".

JacquesMerde 4 years, 2 months ago

I guess they didn't pay off any high-up NCAA officers.

hail2olku 4 years, 2 months ago

Next headline: "NCAA Retroactively punishes any school that has ever had a relationship with the Pump Brothers, entire NCAA on probation".

jayhawkinmullen 4 years, 2 months ago

Next headline: "Pump brother pumping iron and are looking sexy".

jaybate 4 years, 2 months ago

Part One

"Oh What a Tangled Web"

It is, at least, interesting that the NCAA has a problem with NCAA coaches attending the Pump brother's cancer foundation fund raiser, but not Dick Vitale's fund raisers.

If I read behind the lines correctly, and I am left no choice by this story, the NCAA may be worried that coaches might donate big money to the Pump's foundation to get the Pump's to influence one of the players on one of the Pump AAU teams to come play for that college coach, again, by making a big donation.

Since as much as 25% of any donated dollar is sometimes skimmed off donations to causes as management overhead, perhaps there is something to be concerned about here. I suppose a coach could be buying a player by donating, say, $10k to the Pumps, of which the Pumps might keep $2500 and so tell Pump Player A, "Kid, go to school A. They don'ated big." But somehow I don't think this level of payoff is really going to change that many minds, do you?

So: I don't know if I buy this behind the lines logic I have attempted to infer, but if I did, then wouldn't it follow that the NCAA perhaps ought to be just about as worried that coaches might attend and donate big to Dickie V's cancer fund raisers to gain preferential coverage from Dick and ESPN?

jaybate 4 years, 2 months ago

Part Two

Frankly, if I were a coach that doubted I were good enough to recruit and sign top players on my own, I would donate just about every cent I could afford to DVi's fund raisers. I would much rather guaranty my program and myself preferential coverage by DVi and ESPN, than I would get the Pump brothers to tell a recruit, "Hey, kid, we'd really like it if you played for XYZ University, because their Coach donated big time to our cancer fund raiser." And let me add here: I believe it improbable that the Pump brothers actually do that sort of thing.

I mean, think about it. Buying a year's worth of head-bobbing hype from DVi and lots of luv from ESPN generally would be worth just about any amount one could afford to donate to Dick, wouldn't it?

"Hype for donations" would, I suppose, be the business model, if such were actually occurring. But surely it isn't, is it?

ESPN and DVI luv, especially the kind where they would over-report one's successes and under-report one's losses and scandals, and where they would rank one's team sky high, maybe even higher than it logically deserved, and hype one's players to the ionosphere and so help them get drafted higher; that would be just about one of the surest ways to get a foot in the door with OADs, wouldn't it? "Hey, kid, come to my school, because I donated big to DVi's cancer fund raiser and so you are guarantied the royal treatment this season. Bad game? Fugggedaboutit. They under report your bad nights and over-report your good nights. Ya can't lose with me, kid? With your talent and my coaching and DVi's and ESPN's hype, you are a lottery pick for sure."

And extrapolating further along these logics, which I don't know if I buy, or not, I also wonder if stifling coaching contributions to the Pump brothers cancer fund raiser, might also somehow lead more coaches to donate to DVi's fund?

Geez, none of this could be true, could it? The Pump brothers wouldn't really channel players to certain schools for 25% of donation to cancer research, would they? Their players wouldn't listen to them, even if the Pump brothers tried it, would they? And DVi and ESPN wouldn't give a quid pro quo of hype for donations to cancer research, would they? College basketball hasn't fallen this far, has it?

I just don't believe its possible, do you?

jaybate 4 years, 2 months ago

Part Three

I sure hope not. I hope maybe the NCAA has a sound reason for discouraging donations to the Pump brother's foundation named after their father. Cancer research needs all the money it can get.

But, regardless, oh, what a tangled web we weave, NCAA, when first we practice to broker D1 hoops to TV.

(End Note: I personally cannot believe that the Pump brothers, or Dick Vitale are engaged in any of the above activities. I believe they want to raise money to fight this dreadful disease. What really puzzles me is what the NCAA means to do in this situation. Perhaps the NCAA and the JW will expand further and clarify more fully what the purpose of banning coaches from attending Pump charity fund raisers is all about.)

jhawkrulz 4 years, 2 months ago

Remember that there was a ticket scandal and indirectly (or maybe directly) that charity was involved. As of right now Dickie V has not been involved with a scandal of such.

However to your point, do you think ESPN would cover a scandal involving their prize college spokesman, who no one outside of the ACC cares about.

leonard 4 years, 2 months ago

"Since as much as 25% of any donated dollar is sometimes skimmed off donations to causes as management overhead, perhaps there is something to be concerned about here...The Pump brothers wouldn't really channel players to certain schools for 25% of donation to cancer research, would they?" -- jaybate

The Harold Pump foundation has a poor record on donations per dollar donated. From 2005-2008 they collected a little more than $3 million in revenue and expenses totaled almost $1.5 million...nearly 50% of every dollar of revenue received is eaten up in expenses.

The info can be found at "http://dynamodata.fdncenter.org/990s/990search/esearch.php".

jaybate 4 years, 2 months ago

50% seems a pretty darned big cut, doesn't it?

leonard 4 years, 2 months ago

There's a rot in college basketball and the NCAA refuses to address the odor.

Millions and Millions of dollars are being funneled into the sport through AAU basketball, camps, shoe contracts, and consulting fees to name a few.

The ones that benefit are the pariahs that counsel and guide high school athletes in choosing a college behind the scenes.