Friday, July 2, 2010

Boschee reflects on journeyman Gooden’s new deal

Former Kansas basketball guard has fond memories of ex-teammate, who signed with ninth NBA team

Gooden has been offered a five-year, $32 million deal with the Milwaukee Bucs.

If anybody can handle playing for nine teams in nine NBA seasons, it’s Drew Gooden.

So says one of Gooden’s former Kansas University teammates — combo guard Jeff Boschee — who remembers Gooden as competitive on the court and a laid-back Californian off the hardwood.

“Drew is Drew — charismatic. He has a good time with anything he does. I never saw him in a bad mood,” Boschee said of the 28-year-old Gooden, who on Thursday agreed to a five-year, $32 million deal with the Milwaukee Bucks.

“He was never a problem at all. I always got along with him. I don’t know why he’s been traded so much and with so many teams. It’s just the nature of the business, I guess,” added Boschee, who in mid-May accepted an assistant coaching job at Missouri Southern State University after working as head coach at The Barstow School in Kansas City, Mo., the past three years.

“Drew has a young body, is athletic and has a lot of talent. Some people in Milwaukee obviously believe in him in giving him a good contract. Hopefully he’s found a home there,” Boschee added.

Boschee was a senior while Gooden was the leading scorer as a junior on a 33-4 KU team that lost to Maryland in the Final Four semifinals in Atlanta.

“I think the one game that stands out when I think of Drew — one that made me think he was really going to have a great career — was my junior year at K-State,” Boschee said. “He was coming back from an injury and played really well in that game.”

The 6-foot-10, 250-pound Gooden scored 17 points off 6-of-10 shooting with seven rebounds in just 21 minutes of a 77-65 victory over KSU at Bramlage Coliseum.

Gooden — he left college after his junior season and was tapped No. 4 overall by Memphis in the 2002 NBA Draft — has played for the Grizzlies, plus Orlando, Cleveland, Chicago, Sacramento, San Antonio, Dallas and the Los Angeles Clippers. He’s played for five teams in the past two seasons.

Boschee, 30, spent the past three years recording an impressive 64-14 coaching record at The Barstow School.

“It’s a new challenge, something I’ll enjoy hopefully the rest of my life,” Boschee said of coaching college basketball.

Missouri Southern is an NCAA Div. II school in Joplin, Mo.

“The recruiting part of it, which I recently started, is something I enjoy. I really enjoy watching players develop. I don’t really have a set plan,” he added of when he wants to run his own program. “I’m going with the opportunity given to me. I learned a lot from coach (Roy) Williams. My knowledge of the game will grow even more working here for coach (Robert) Corn. He knows a lot about the game. This is a great starting point.”

Boschee, a prep sensation out of Valley City, N.D., was a four-year starter at KU who holds the school record for most threes in a career (338). After graduating with a bachelors degree in sports management, Boschee played in the USBL, ABA and Europe. He’s founder, trainer and coach of the Jeff Boschee Basketball Academy in Kansas City.

He and wife, Jamie, have a six-week-old daughter, Mary Rose Boschee.

Barstow Head of School Shane A. Foster recently had this to say about Boschee: “Coaching is mission-critical at Barstow. The head coach must have depth of character and the ability to not only coach but be a role model to our young athletes, and that is exactly what Jeff brought to our program three years ago. We thank Jeff for his hard work and dedication to our student athletes. Missouri Southern State University will gain a tremendous coach, and I think this is a fantastic start for the next chapter in Jeff’s career.”

Cavs eye Kaun

The Cleveland Cavaliers are thinking about signing former KU center Sasha Kaun, the News-Herald of Northern Ohio reports.

The 6-11 Kaun averaged 9.1 points off 71 percent shooting and 11.5 rebounds last season for CSKA Moscow. The 25-year-old Tomsk native has one year left on a deal that nets him about $1 million per year. The Cavaliers reportedly are allowed to pay only $350,000 toward buyout of the contract, meaning Kaun would have to pay the rest.

So he’d likely need a huge guaranteed deal to agree to the move.

“Two years ago our scouts were saying, ‘Sasha Kahn, Sasha Kahn,’” Cavaliers’ general manager Chris Grant told the News-Herald. “I’m like, ‘Are you sure?’ I’m watching him, and he can’t really do some things.’ Now, he’s one of the best centers in Europe.”

Kaun, who was married to former KU soccer player Taylor Blue on June 18, will not play for the Cavaliers’ summer-league team. Instead, he’ll be with the Russian National Team this summer.

Kaun was drafted 56th overall by Seattle in 2008. The Sonics, who have since moved to Oklahoma City, traded his rights to Cleveland on draft day. The Cavs were all for Kaun signing to play in Russia to gain some experience before joining the NBA team two or three years down the road.

Comments

jaybate 11 years, 5 months ago

} For $6.5M per year, teams could trade me every 60 seconds and it would be okay with me. Go Drew!

}I could never root for Bosh as a player, but as a coach he has me jazzed. He has no real sugar daddy, because Roy took a powder. And 64-14 at Barstow is like 77-1 at other high schools. He got no break having to start assisting in D2, but he could be Corn's replacement in a couple years. Put in a couple more as head coach and make the jump to D1. He'll still be young enough to put a dent in big time coaching. Go Bosh!

} Kaun is 6'11" and 250. He has apparently played his knee back into some kind of useful joint again. If he has wheels, hell yes, he can NBA. No one in the L is going to punk him the way Shaq punked Ostertag. The big Ruskie is likely to do the punking. Go Sasha!

} How come Sasha can glassvac 11.5/game in the pros and glassvac diddledy squat at KU his last two years?

} Isn't it about time college basketball programs start ranking who has the biggest NBA presence in terms of accured earnings. Who cares how many players you have in the NBA. What we care about is the totals that they have earned. Go Dollars!

} Janks apparently had a sex offender on his team. This could be the end of his career. Coaching sex offenders is tough on a resume.

} Tad Boyle thinks BJeff Bzdelik left him a good Bnucleus, according to a BESPN story. Think again, Tad. Its only a good nucleus for playing BPrinceton system ball. http://tinyurl.com/25xayw2

That's all folks.

Jonathan Briles 11 years, 5 months ago

Just out of curiosity why were you not able to root for Jeff as a player? I always thought he was great. One of my favorites of all time. I am really excited for him to be getting some chances to coach. I hope to see him in D1 with in the next 5 years. Best of luck.

JacquesMerde 11 years, 5 months ago

Everyone probably knows that the knock on Drew is that he doesn't play defense. Hopefully, Sasha is ready for the NBA and can afford to come back.

Jaybate. I need a glossary of names to understand your very informative messages.

JacquesMerde 11 years, 5 months ago

theajayhawk 11 years, 5 months ago

"The Cavaliers reportedly are allowed to pay only $350,000 toward buyout of the contract, meaning Kaun would have to pay the rest."

How much is the rest?

Jack Wilson 11 years, 5 months ago

$650,000 being the difference between $1 million and $350,000 ... only our KU education would permit that type of analysis.

Ron_Kellogg 11 years, 5 months ago

Not sure this signing will impress Lebron.

Rick Arnoldy 11 years, 5 months ago

Let the games begin!

July 2, 2010, 6:52 am Report: NCAA probing UK basketball The celebrity gossip website TMZ.com says it has learned the NCAA is investigating past and current University of Kentucky basketball players and their possible involvement with professional agents.

Steve Brown 11 years, 5 months ago

possible involvement with professional agents at KY. Is like gambling at Rick's in Casablanca.

"I'm shocked"

Tony Bandle 11 years, 5 months ago

Kanfan27

Bochee...let me count the ways:

1] Couldn't play defense 2] One dimensional scorer, if his three wasn't working he was a liability 3] Couldn't create his own shots thus easier to defend. 4] Did I mention he couldn't guard a lamppost? His man usually scored as much or more than he did. 5] From one of the Dakotas [Actually, not a fault just who plays basketball and comes from there?] 6] Bad haircut. 7] On a bad day, the worse he shot, the more he shot...or is it the more he shot, the worse he shot? 8] See items #1 and #4. 9] Last name sounded like that goofy Italian little bowling ball on the yard game. 10] Couldn't play de...oh, never mind!!

Jonathan Briles 11 years, 5 months ago

lol, well you have quite a few reasons to not like him. I do remember his defense not being too great, but he was still a nice kid. I thought Jaybate was saying he could not root for him because of off the court issues and I talked to him quite a few times and I was a huge fan because of how nice a guy he always seemed to be.

Tony Bandle 11 years, 5 months ago

Kanfan27

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply I didn't like the kid..he always busted butt to do his best and he was on he was magical. Still, he drove me crazy with his shortcomings.

Yeah, "Mary Rose" is really a sweet name. I wonder how long before she has a mini hoop set up on the side of her crib!! :}

Pam McCormick 11 years, 5 months ago

Did Boschee really play for K-State ever?

Kurt Eskilson 11 years, 5 months ago

pam: I had to double-take that too. The GAME he's referring to was played at K-State.

Pam McCormick 11 years, 5 months ago

thanks for clarifying that. The article looks like he is saying he played for k state, which I know is not true

WilburNether 11 years, 5 months ago

Bill Self needs to make a tape of Drew Gooden's rebounding greatest hits, and show it to his teams to teach them what it means to GO AFTER rebounds, as opposed to standing around and waiting for the ball to bounce to them. Gooden ranks with Bill Bridges, Danny Manning, and Wilt as KU's all-time best rebounders.

I will never forget watching three (3) KU players standing stock still and waiting for the rebound to come to them, while one (1) Northern Iowa player stepped in and grabbed the ball for a key offensive rebound late in the game.

In contrast, I remember Gooden rebounding his own missed shot on the other side of the basket, and then jamming it, versus Missouri. No one on last year's team ever put in that kind of effort at rebounding, while Gooden brought it every game. With the exception of a few (too few) games in which Aldrich rebounded aggressively, last year's team just couldn't be bothered.

Kurt Eskilson 11 years, 5 months ago

Wayne Simien might be on that short list of rebounders, too. If a defender was anywhere near his elbows on his ferocious pull-down … certain doom.

WilburNether 11 years, 5 months ago

No doubt Simien would aggressively grab rebounds that came to him. But he rarely pursued aggressively those rebounds that did not come right to him. That's what distinguishes merely good rebounders from the great rebounders of the past. Gooden was vastly superior to Simien at rebounding, as was Nick Collison in that era.

didjabuti 11 years, 5 months ago

If Thomas Robinson starts getting minutes I believe you'll have one more rebounder to add to that list. The kid has a nose for the ball and has the body to bang down low. I'm really looking foward to watching him this year.

Tony Bandle 11 years, 5 months ago

WOW...nine teams in nine seasons!! That means he is really wanted or that he's really scorned! Too bad bball isn't like soccer where you could stay in an offfensive area.

PS My suggestion for making soccer a more popular sport. Keep all the same rules....just add another ball!! Can you imagine the fun and mayhem that would ensue??!!

tis4tim 11 years, 5 months ago

Yeah. I can recall numerous occasions where Gooden was up and down twice in the time it took most to jump once for a loose rebound.

jchief40 11 years, 5 months ago

off topic - who cares... TMZ is reporting that a couple of Kentucky players are being investigated for NCAA violations ... :D

jchief40 11 years, 5 months ago

TMZ has learned the NCAA is taking an aggressive look at University of Kentucky basketball players -- past and current -- and their possible involvement with professional agents.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2010/07/02/university-of-kentucky-basketball-sec-ncaa-probe/#ixzz0sXIHe256

Martin Rosenblum 11 years, 5 months ago

Bad boys, bad boys, wat ya gonna do...wat ya gonna do when they investigate you!

Let's see if Cal's layer of teflon has worn thin.

Martin Rosenblum 11 years, 5 months ago

Congrats to Boshee and wife for their new baby girl! Nice name too!

amw8716 11 years, 5 months ago

willyrock 11 years, 5 months ago

This year it will be rebounding by committee. Marcus will get lots of offensive boards and put backs, but otherwise the bulk of the rebounding will have to be shared by all 4 bigs. TRob could be a dominant force if he'd work as hard as the Morris twins did last summer. The guy's got Dwight Howard-type shoulders and should have no trouble holding his own in the paint.

Here's hoping we hear from Hudy soon about TRob being a beast in the weight room!

jaybate 11 years, 5 months ago

"Some Ways You Know the NCAA May Be Scrutinizing Past and Present UK Teams"

~Lie Detectors R' Us just opened a new franchise in Lexington.

~The NCAA just ordered 40 railroad tank cars full of truth serum to be delivered to Lexington.

~The Las Vegas odds on UK being investigated by the NCAA just went to 1:1.

~A man looking like World Wide Wes was rumored recently to have been cited buying real estate in Paraguay.

~UK alums are now waxing nostalgically about "the good old days of near death penalties" under Cliff Hagan.

~UK is rumored to be using back channels to try to hire Eddie Sutton to clean up Wildcat basketball.

~The Wildcat mascot reputedly just retained counsel and took the Fifth.

~NCAA investigators have been rumored to have found over half of UK players past and present have signed their autographs with an X.

~Ashley Judd has cancelled her season tickets and started a come back with a tell-all book entitled "Lexington Makes Hollywood Look Like Boys Town!"

~Leaked galleys of a new book entitled "Mondo Kentucky: The Black Underbelly of Basketball in Blue Grass Country" indicate it will be a twelve-volume study.

~The Center for Disease Control in Atlanta reports an acute outbreak of amnesia with an epicenter in Rupp Arena.

~Martin Scorcese and Francis Ford Coppola are rumored to be co-directing a bloody hip hop opera set in Kentucky basketball with not one, but two working titles: "The Godcat." and "Catfellas."

~John Calipari has reputedly checked into Betty Ford to deal with mousse dependence.

(Note 1: All of the above is fiction and satire. No malice.)

(Note 2: And isn't it nice to have Kentucky to make fun of again, after having had to deal with so much KU drama recently?)