Friday, January 29, 2010

Morningstar holds no grudges

KU guard: Clemente incident ‘in heat of battle’

Kansas University guard Brady Morningstar takes an elbow from Kansas State’s Denis Clemente (21) during a 2009 game in Manhattan.

Self and Martin share similarities despite differences in image

Two very different coaches — KU's Bill Self and KSU's Frank Martin — will face off Saturday in Manhattan. But the pair shares mutual respect.

Kansas State guard Denis Clemente paid the price for elbowing Kansas University’s Brady Morningstar in the back and popping Tyrel Reed in the head during last year’s Sunflower Showdown in Manhattan.

KSU coach Frank Martin suspended the 6-foot-1 guard from Bayamon, Puerto Rico, for one game, which put an end to the issue, as far as Morningstar is concerned.

“Nah. Nope,” KU junior guard Morningstar said Thursday, asked if he harbored any lingering resentment heading into Saturday’s 6 p.m. KU-KSU game at Bramlage Coliseum.

“It is what it is. It’s the heat of the battle. I don’t hold any grudges. Oh well .... it didn’t hurt too bad,” Morningstar added with a smile.

A media report — one denied by KU players and coaches and later refuted by Clemente — surfaced after the game that an unnamed Jayhawk yelled a racial insult at Clemente during KU’s 85-74 Valentine’s Day victory.

“Don’t be stupid because you can’t lose your mind,” Clemente said Thursday, asked what he learned from the suspension. “You’ve got to be focused for 40 minutes and pay attention to what you are doing. You just can’t be crazy because of the crowd, then this thing happens.

“You’ve got to be focused and that’s one of the things I did learn. Don’t get frustrated. That’s one of the things I did last year in the game here when I punched at the guy. I apologized because I’m not that type of dude. My game is (to) play hard and not hurt anybody.”

He was asked by KSU beat writers Thursday if he thought the Jayhawks would try to “get in his head” Saturday.

“I don’t care about that. I’m going to play my game and run my team,” said Clemente, who was whistled for a technical foul for his contact with Morningstar, but no foul on the slap of Reed. “I don’t care what they want to do. If they want to play dirty, play dirty, but that’s not my type of play.”

Emotions figure to be running high again Saturday when No. 2 KU (19-1, 5-0) meets No. 11 KSU (17-3, 4-2).

“The crowds are ridiculous. The student section is huge. It’s a fun place to play,” Morningstar said. “I think it’s probably the best road atmosphere we’ve played against. It was at Missouri but I think K-State may have them beat.”

Buddies

KU coach Bill Self was asked a batch of questions about KSU coach Martin on Thursday at Self’s weekly press conference. Self said he considers Martin a friend.

“I think he’s a coach’s coach. I think he’s a guy’s guy,” Self said. “I think he’s one of those guys that does his job and at the end of the day, he gets it as far as how tough our job is and respecting the people you work with and go against on a daily basis. He would be a guy I enjoy having dinner with ... as long as he buys,” Self added with a laugh. “I just think he’s a good guy.”

Comments

waywardJay 9 years, 12 months ago

and he has the best crazy eyes since Norman bates.

mojayhawk 9 years, 12 months ago

AND, Frank does great radio interviews, but not as good as Coach Self.

Saturday will be hoppin'.

docileboy 9 years, 12 months ago

From what I have seen, Frank Martin doesn't waste much time trying to teach sportsmanship to his players. They come across as a bunch of self centered, egotistical, cry babies and I don't like them. Go KU!

NebraskaJayhawk 9 years, 12 months ago

"Asked which team he disliked more as a child — KSU or Missouri — Lawrence native Morningstar cracked: “I don’t like to wear purple, so if had to wear any colors it’d be yellow and black (MU). I don’t like either. That’s a tough one.”

I've stated this before, but it is so nice to see some home grown players in the mix. Reed and Morningstar truly understand every facet of KU basketball. These two rivalries mean everything to Kansas fans. Don't think for an instance that these guys won't be playing with a lot of passion come Saturday. Even without the actions of Clemente last year, these games are huge for these two guys.

RCJH

Martin Rosenblum 9 years, 12 months ago

The Texas victory by KSU in Manhattan was a mystery at that time. Then Texas goes to UConn and loses. Playing in a hostile arena does impact the outcome of games. The difference is how the coach keeps his team focused and distracted from everything outside of the 40 minutes of the game on the court. Iowa St. shows me that HCBS can do this. The Tennessee game was a true fluke for our focus. The hype of playing at KSU with the Gameday issue shouldnt affect the team themselves. That is something that we as fans need to and should get into, not the team. We're clicking at most positions now even with the rotation that is available on the bench. This will be great timing to put the hammer down and prove the Cats "OvErAtEd!

FairgroveJayhawk 9 years, 12 months ago

I can't remember when KSU has been ranked so high.

Clementine says, "If they want to play dirty, play dirty, but that’s not my type of play" Doesn't Clementine warm up in an orange jump suit?

Dyrk Dugan 9 years, 12 months ago

"If they want to play dirty, play dirty, but that’s not my type of play"

Mr. Clemente : what do you call what you did last year? Perfectly within the bounds of the rules of basketball? Elbowing backs and slaps to the head?

these kinds of quotes will not help you....not help you at all.

KU 80 KSU 72

Rockin and Chalkin!

Jeremy LeMaster 9 years, 12 months ago

I have never understood the " over rated" chant.... Isn't that saying that we beat you and we are that good either?

3GJayhawk 9 years, 12 months ago

Good thing he doesn't hold a grudge b/c Morningstar owns Clemente!

Matt Bowers 9 years, 12 months ago

Can't wait to see how KU responds to the crowd at Ksuck. Does anyone remember when they had to delay the start of the game because the students released chickens? That was classic! Good point NebraskaHawk about the homegrown players. Just 34 hours and change until go time!

Rock Chalk

KU1992 9 years, 12 months ago

How do players do something, such as elbowing or slapping another player, and then say that is not the kind of player they are. Obviously it is, because you just did it...

+1 mvjayhawk. Why would he bring up us playing dirty when he acted like a total "punk" (as a certain ESPN commentator would put it) last time we played them.

dukehester 9 years, 12 months ago

kitties own coach says they play physical and foul! "clementine" should be the last to talk ref dirty play. regardless, 'Hawks just need to try and focus for 40!!

John Brown 9 years, 12 months ago

I think that I'd rather be a 'Ladie's Man" than a 'Guy's Guy".

slowplay 9 years, 12 months ago

What are some of the better places to watch the game? I was thinking of Set Em Up Jack's?

jhawkd 9 years, 12 months ago

Does anyone else think Coach Martin looks a little bit like Bert from Sesame Street??

Mike Kendall 9 years, 12 months ago

jbrownjib-- A 'Guy's Guy'. Ooooh, that's weird. Kind of like, instead of the Spice Girls, it's the Spice Boys!!!!!!

Re: Clemente's quote: "If they want to play dirty, play dirty, but that's not my type of play." Give me a break--please don't insult my intelligence, please! That's like saying the KC Chiefs and the Oakland Raiders like each other, or, worse yet, the Missouri fans like the Kansas fans---NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Give the Jayhawk Nation a little respect--I think we're pretty smart when it comes to basketball competition!!!!!!!!

JayhawkRock 9 years, 12 months ago

Im not really that worried about this game but one thing that KU is going to have to accept is that KSU gets away with murder on their home floor and its something we should be expecting. When I watched UT play at KSU I felt like KSU got all of the calls and UT was kind of getting jobbed. KU must sustain their emotions and just play basketball. We cannot turn the ball over 18+ times and expect to win this game. KU has to take care of the ball and just play smart. And at this point we need Aldrich to continue to impose his will down in the post, both on Offense and Defense. If we do those things then I think we will be fine.

We have played teams that have "good guards" but when they play KU they dont always seem to have good games. So either we are really intimidating or we are doing something right on defense. I will take Sherron Collins over Jacob Pullen and Dennis Clemente any day of the week. We should absolutely dominate this game in the paint with Cole and the Morris twins because KSU does not have the firepower down low to stick with our bigs.

KANSTUCKY 9 years, 12 months ago

The home crowd advantage is the way the refs are swayed by a rowdy student section. As long as the Morris twins are making their "bunnies", we should come out with a win. Sherron and Cole probably need to bring their "A" game. It would be a great time for X to have another 25 point performance, but that would be icing on the cake. By the way, I haven't seen anybody wearing their uk #1 shirts here in the Commonwealth, lol.

Mike Kendall 9 years, 12 months ago

hawktacular----

Holy cow, Montana, Maine and New Mexico really knows its basketball--THEY ARE VOTING FOR THE JAYHAWKS!!!!

The poll tells me that a lot of folks are uninformed about Kansas Basketball--end of story--period!

63Jayhawk 9 years, 12 months ago

Hawktacular, This pole looks like a classical, pull for the underdog (cat) result!

KANSTUCKY 9 years, 12 months ago

One game winning streak Bert? I'm a fan of our feathered freinds Ernie.

KANSTUCKY 9 years, 12 months ago

Martin should have those kids "punched" in for Game Day.

Kye Clark 9 years, 12 months ago

Hawktacular - I would imagine quite a few of the votes were cast for people simply wanting KU to lose so that whatever team they are a fan of can move up in the polls.

Tony Bandle 9 years, 12 months ago

That poll is hilarious...the total population of Maine [7 or so] and all 5 residents of New Hampshire voted Kansas. The only resident in the state of Vermont voted for KSU..what a chucklehead!!

I wonder if KSU will make a video of this game as well since, technically because UK lost we are the #1 again :}

bradynsdad 9 years, 12 months ago

that quote by clemente was just him tryin to send some secret message, i mean when was the last time any ku player played dirty?. one more thing i think if cole goes to work downlow he is going to get the calls even if its in the octagan of dumb. they got away with it against texas, it wont happen twice.

hammerhawk 9 years, 12 months ago

I don't like kstaters or the horses they rode in on. I don't like back-shootin mizzourians. As for the rest.... irritants on the court.

The hawks will kill 'em at Allen Fieldhouse West.

NH_JHawk 9 years, 12 months ago

Oakville -

Im the one who voted 5 times for New Hampshire! lol.....

Seriously though, last time I checked, the KU Alumni Association said that NH has over 200 active alumni. I thought that was a pretty big number considering how small a state this is. It is truly Jayhawk Nation!

Robert Murphy 9 years, 12 months ago

As I've said before: "In a perfect world Frank Martin would be a prison guard".

KANSTUCKY 9 years, 12 months ago

bhann. ksu lost @ fizzou and at home against okie st. They should have lost @ baylor.

Michael Leiker 9 years, 12 months ago

Clemente commenting on what he learned from the event says, "Coach Martin told me, 'you can't just go loco esse.' "

Ben Kane 9 years, 12 months ago

i had forgotten about the antics last year, now i remember how upset i was at the time. I'm proud of Brady for his comments and that punk can say whatever he wants.

It's time to show the world what KU basketball is all about!!!

let's kick that purple tail!!

RCJH

Kevin Long 9 years, 12 months ago

KU's loss to Tenn. doesn't look as bad as UK's loss to a team with 8 losses already.

KANSTUCKY 9 years, 12 months ago

...then there's that big single digit home win over Fort Hays they can hang their hats on.

Priest Fontaine 9 years, 12 months ago

not that this matters but has anyone noticed that ESPN updated their 'ESPN 100' and Royce Woolridge is not even included now. He was 92nd or something like that. I wonder why this is. Last couple times I checked up on him he was putting up 30 or 40 points per game...

KANSTUCKY 9 years, 12 months ago

Woolridge is shooting 56%, 37% from 3, 28 ppg, 6 boards/g, 80% from the stripe... apparently he is having a down year. I wish my game was that bad.

Jim Pendleton 9 years, 12 months ago

The "Octagon of Doom"? Let's see, current home court winning streak - 0. Nothing suggests a place of doom like a zero game home court winning streak, and a 1-20 home court record against your biggest rival.

Hawks 82 Kitties 69 - Rock Chalk!

Mike Kendall 9 years, 12 months ago

Hey, Chuck,

Those cabinets you sent to K-State have Jayhawk stickers on them?

I agree with you, Chuck. Brady did a nice job with his comments with Clemente. Very classy!

BCRavenJHawkfan 9 years, 12 months ago

Very smart of Morningstar to go with yellow and black as colors he could tolerate. Yellow and black are Witchita State Shocker colors afterall.

Ben Kane 9 years, 12 months ago

Yeah, we shipped them like 20 cabinets yesterday and 4 of them have jayhawk sticker on the inside of their doors. :)

Joe Baker 9 years, 12 months ago

Beat the kitty katz!

Rock Chalk

Game On!

KUbsee69 9 years, 12 months ago

On the Poll: I wonder how many of the "outsiders" even know the difference between KU & kSu? We've all seen and heard the talking heads make that mistake from time to time.

chuckb... why only four of the cabinets? Why not all of them?

Dr. Robert s. Mosser 9 years, 12 months ago

FROM THE PAST--K-State fan paid for it. In old Nichols Gym the students sat down to the edge of the court. Charlie Black took the ball out of bounds to pass it in and a K-State student pinched him on the butt. Charlie drove his elbow back onto the face of the pincher who was really messed up and didn't manage to see any more of the game. For me this still remains as the all time payback for student behavior.

100 9 years, 12 months ago

What follows is a typical day in a hole in Manhattan, just around the corner from ex KSU AD Bill Snyder's undisclosed 3 million dollar prize plot of 9 square feet of nearly undisturbed grass...

A papa Martin mole, a mama Synder mole, and a baby Wildcat, practice "basketball", as well as "hitting each practice", while also taking part in "smelling before you hit practice" every morning in a little mole hole.

One day, papa Martin mole sticks his head out of the hole, sniffs the air and says, ' Yum! I smell maple syrup!'

The mama Synder mole sticks her head out of the hole, sniffs the air and says, 'Oh, Yum! I smell honey!'

Now baby Wildcat is trying to stick his head out of the hole to sniff the air, but can't because the big moles are in the way. This makes the purple kitty whine, 'Geez, all I can smell is....

MOLASSES !

jayhwkr77 9 years, 12 months ago

people need to give Clemente a break. he got caught up in the moment last year and make a mistake. i dont think putting an elbow in the back of someone is all that big of a deal a year later.

we should all be glad that K-State is good at basketball now because it makes the so-called "Rivalry" a lot more fun. the more teams in the Big 12 that are good the better for us. there's a reason a team from the SEC wins the national championship almost every year in football and the national champion in basketball usually comes from a really good conference.

come march, tomorrow night's game really doesn't mean a whole lot, we should just try to enjoy the fact that it's a competitive series now.

kujayhawk72 9 years, 12 months ago

Am I alone in thinking the "Octagon of Doom" sounds like a ride at the state fair???

tdomine 9 years, 12 months ago

Off topic, but what's with all this "Octagon of Doom" rubbish? How did Allen Field House West, I mean Bramlidge Colosseum, become anything of doom? Makes me think of the line from Monsters vs Aliens when the blob says "Suuusan. Oh, I scared myself." How can an arena where the Jayhawks have a higher winning percentage than they do at home be anything but our own, personal Jayhawks nest.

You K-State fans keep thinking up terrifying names for your barns, we'll keep winning in them. Rock Chalk.

NebraskaJayhawk 9 years, 12 months ago

Agreed, jayhwkr77. Those early years in K-State's "new house" weren't even fun to watch. I am also glad to see the rivalry renewed. KuStrong, that chicken incident in Manhattan....I do remember that, but I can't remember if that was when they were still in Ahearn or not. I do remember one year in Ahearn where there were rumors batteries were thrown at some of the KU players as they entered/exited the tunnels. Anyone recall this?

dtownhawkfan 9 years, 12 months ago

Clemente is a thug

I think the key will be to control their bigs. Pullen and Clemente, one or both, will prolly have the game of their lives (someone always goes off on KU) so as long as we win the battle of the bigs we should be fine

kujayhawk72 9 years, 12 months ago

This is the first time I can remember it being called that. I have some purple friends who said it's been called that for 3 or 4 yrs. Of course my purple friends are a little out of touch with reality as most purplers are.

Mark Bowers 9 years, 12 months ago

drgnslyr you can probably download Cole's face and have it printed @ kinko's? I agree that the refs play to the crowd, especially in the big 12. We must have the worst refs out of any other major conference. When you watch a game, you can see how they placate to the crowd and start to get really into it while making a call. I hope we go to k crap and get the job done. I don't put much into home court atmosphere and that being the difference. Kansas is hated regardless of where we're at on the road. I love you Hawks & look forward to tomorrows game.

tis4tim 9 years, 12 months ago

I think perimeter defense will go a long way to securing a victory tomorrow. The KSU beat writers apparently are well aware of Clemente's basket case tendencies, which is why they asked him about opponents trying to "get in his head." I think he's a powder keg and sustained pressure defense is all we need to set him off. I don't think it's a question of "if", but of "when".

Pullen is the guy I'm concerned about. Until the Baylor game, if I'm not mistaken, he was in a pretty awful shooting slump. One game doesn't indicate the end of a cold spell, but he certainly is too good to stay in that streak for much longer. Our defense of the 3-point shot has been spotty at best and Self seems to like to play the percentages, figuring a hot shooter will eventually cool off. The problem is when a guy gets hot and stays hot, giving guys career games when playing the 'Hawks. There are too many of those under Self's watch for my liking.

Ben Kane 9 years, 12 months ago

i only had 4 jayhawk stickers, or i definitely would have done more. I'll have to buy some more in case mizzery ever orders some :) of course if they do, i'll have to put them on the outside of the door!

Mike Kendall 9 years, 12 months ago

Chuck---

Good boy---nice going----I'm laughing all the way home!!!!!!

Tony Bandle 9 years, 12 months ago

Anybody hear anything about an incident with UK's Cousins at the South Carolina game?

It sounds like BS but I definitely saw the word "stabbing"!!

Tony Bandle 9 years, 12 months ago

One season way back when I was in school, I for the life of me I can't remember which school did what, but one school threw bananas [I think KU] and the other school threw hot dogs.[I think KSU]

AAHHH...those were the days when food was a statement!! :}

Joel Hood 9 years, 12 months ago

Oakville - KU threw hotdogs for one of the KSU "hot dog" players. KSU threw bananas at Donnie Von Moore, well, for other reasons.

Tony Bandle 9 years, 12 months ago

PS tdomine.....that's the Octagon of Dumb!!!

Tony Bandle 9 years, 12 months ago

jayhawkerjoel..thanks, I do remember that the KSU guys got in really,really big trouble for that little stunt!! Our guys got a reprimand then the Allen staff picked them up and served them at the next game!!

Scanners_4KSU 9 years, 12 months ago

My father - Darryl Revok

My mother - an unknown Aggieville harlot found and discarded one March night in 1966

My purpose - to destroy anyone who gets in the way of total purple domination

If the Wildcats lose to KU on Saturday night, everyone within physical and mental range of me will be scanned and then converted or destroyed. Don't make me pop that vein on the side of my head, it will be ugly and the Octagon of Doom will feel my pain. Seriously...don't...make...me...do...it!

vmwskywalk 9 years, 12 months ago

We are going to go into the "Octagon of Dumb" and shave those stupid little Abraham Lincoln beards off of any K-Stater silly enough to wear or grow one. Point Plankin!

jaybate 9 years, 12 months ago

dihrdhwk86,

I've been trying for over a year and a half to figure out who Martin looked like and you are absolutely right!

He is Bert!

jaybate 9 years, 12 months ago

Some Unusual Motivators Rumored to Help KSU Players Achieve Peak Performance:

Black gloves with purple, human hair lining placed on players' pillows each night at bed check, if a player got burned on defense that day in practice.

Unlimited free downloads of "Goodfellas."

Daily cell phone calls from loved ones saying, "We're still okay here in Lima, but Vincente says you better get a few more rebounds or we might not be."

Unlimited free downloads of "Donnie Brasco."

Daily text messages to players reading, "The East River is only 3 hours by Lear Jet."

Unlimited free downloads of "The Friends of Eddie Coyle."

A team boat ride on Tuttle Creek Reservoir at midnight before big games in which Coach Martin throws a pair of purple Addidas set in concrete over board and shouts, "KSU Libre o muerto!"

Unlimited free downloads of "Reservoir Dogs."

A large, framed poster in the KSU locker room of former KUer Don Johnson in his Miami Vice days with a Laguiole Corsican Vendetta Knife stuck in his forehead.

Unlimited free downloads of "Miller's Crossing."

Players are frequently reminded that El Padrino is Cuban Spanish for "Godfather."

Unlimited free downloads of Brian de Palma's "Scarface."

After bad games, Coach Martin requires team bus to drive through Manhattan industrial park at 3AM, where he points at a metal fabricating business and shouts, "I hear they got a zinc acid bath."

Unlimited free downloads of "Hoffa."

Coach Martin uses an M-24 sniper rifle with an infrared sight, as a pointer, while discussing video of players' recent performances.

Unlimited free downloads of "Once Upon A Time in America."

Dalonte has the graduate assistants break up the video of opposing teams with excerpts from “I’m Gonna Get You, Sucka.”

Unlimited free downloads of "New Jack City."

In scrimmages, after every TO, Dalonte runs around shouting, “Oh man, why don't you stop it? This is too big for you, you know that? Who did the president, who killed Kennedy, man! It's a mystery! It's a mystery wrapped in a riddle inside an enigma! The shooters don't even know! Don't you get it?!”

Unlimited free downloads of "JFK."

Guys that shoot less than 50% from the FT line get mouth kisses followed by "I love you Fredo."

Unlimited free downloads of "The Godfather--Part II."

(First Note: This is entirely fiction and meant in fun to satirize KSU coaches's and players' apparent preferences for an aggressive, tough team image beginning back during Bob Huggins year as head coach. For what its worth, I think Coach Martin and his staff have done an amazing job of turning KSU around and have done a heck of a coaching job this year. Props to Coach Martin and his staff.)

jaybate 9 years, 12 months ago

(Second Note: crime movies were intentionally selected that dramatize crime from as many different ethnic groups as possible, so no one, not even memhawk, could misconstrue this spoof as racism against any one ethnic group, or related to Coach Martin having Cuban-American heritage. For what its worth, if I could be anything other than what I am, it would be Cuban-American, because they've got my favorite cuisine. A round of Malta Hatuey's for everyone! Its the greatest soft drink in the world!)

tstanlick1909 9 years, 12 months ago

I really hate how the theme for tomorrow's game will be: How hard it is to play at the "Octagon of Doom." Maybe they should mention how they have only beat us there one time since the building has been opened. That court belongs to us

Jack Wilson 9 years, 12 months ago

Frank Martin's real name, I heard, was Francisco Martinez .. don't know if that was true or not. Anybody know? His son's middle name is Francisco, fyi.

dtownhawkfan: How is Clemente a thug? Because he elbowed Brady? What else is there that I don't know?

NebraskaJayhawk: Nice link to the chickens. They look quite tasty. Always been a breast man myself.

For Saturday, as always, the game is on us. If we play to our potential, we win by 10 - 15. If we aren't ready to play, we lose or it comes down to the wire. I say we're ready -

KU 77 KSU 65

Jack Wilson 9 years, 12 months ago

As for the Octagon of Doom, remember, Bramlage is the "House that Roy Built." We own that dump.

Ben Kane 9 years, 12 months ago

they definitely have great food jaybate, vaca frita por favor.

kusayzone 9 years, 12 months ago

The Morris twins are the key tomorrow. KSU beat Texas on the boards and if they do that to us, with all the shoving and pushing, then it will be a long day! If I were HCBS I would tell the Morris boys to make sure to wear a cup for tomorrows game.

SoCalAlum 9 years, 12 months ago

For a quick stroll down Memory Lane, here are links to youtube video of last year's Clemente antics:

re: Brady...look also for Sherron ready to take on Jamar Samuels, I think http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM_JLr...

re: Tyrel http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X-yQt...

Martin Rosenblum 9 years, 12 months ago

100 -

Great adaptation........molasses!

Question: If Frank is Bert, I think Ernie is Jeff Capel. Just my opinion, search for yourself.

100 9 years, 12 months ago

Riddle/ Enigma of the day:

If Mafia Kingpen/Punching Machine Frank Martin is Sesame Street's Bert...

Then who in the he*ll is Lon Kruger?!!!!!!!!!!

robert rasdon 9 years, 12 months ago

I hope the hawks put the wildkittys away like they did mizzou. but I have to admit the kittys are a little better. And im sure will see some cups flying early.

Martin Rosenblum 9 years, 12 months ago

100 -

I give up.

But, if we're just playing the "Who does this coach look like?" game, I think Billy Donovan looks like Eddie Munster!

100 9 years, 12 months ago

Memhawk,

Well, the reason this is truly an enigma is that "Mr. Eyebrow", Lon Kruger to KU fans in the mid '80's was always considered to be Bert. In fact we called him "monobrow".

The more confusing part of this conundrum is that Lon's facial features tend more towards Ernie than Bert, in fact he is, if you strip away a few layers of fur between his eyes, an Ernie clone. The question with Lon was always, "but how can I do it, every pluck feels like a tree is being yanked out of my forehead"???

Well, that indeed, is a very good question, Lon...

After years & years of research on this topic, I firmly believe that we finally have arrived at an answer:

A buzzsaw.

A high dollar boutique (like the one Michael Jackson used to go to) would take a truck sized 500 horsepower buzzsaw to the middle of Lon's eyebrow...

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Five hours & half a million later, after all of these years of dreaming about straightening out his identity... Finally... Lon can truly once & for all be Ernie's twin brother lost at birth & randomly found in a French soup kitchen, gloriously shipped back to America in an old rusty crate, on his way to college basketball glory (the great Eight in '88!!!!)....

As for Jeff Capel being Ernie, just my own personal opinion, but to me leans more towards the Count.

jaybate 9 years, 12 months ago

chuckberry32,

"y platanos maduras fritas!" (fried plantains, which only look like bananas in the peel, but which are something else entirely)

jwel2nd 9 years, 12 months ago

I'll never forget after the KU - K State game of '80 or '81 in Manhattan. KU kicked 'em bad, and Darnell Valentine is being interviewed after the game at midcourt. Darnell and the interviewer were constantly ducking from 'projectiles' being thrown at them. I remember an orange going sailing past Darnell after he zigged and zagged to avoid it. Hawks by 15! Rock Chalk!

Ben Kane 9 years, 12 months ago

how some sangria too? but no flan please.

andreainkansas 9 years, 12 months ago

I'm as big of a KU fan as anyone...especially because I grew up in that other town in Kansas. But, seriously, Denis Clemente is a good kid. He made a stupid mistake last year, and Brady Morningstar is making the right choice by not holding an immature grudge. He was too hyped last year, but, let's be honest, if it were one of our KU players, we would wish he hadn't hit someone, but lauded his emotion. As a proud KU alumnus, and a proud Latina, and a proud Kansan, I hope my fellow KU fans don't find racially insensitive comments, Latin jokes about Frank Martin (who is also a good man) and Denis Clemente funny. They're not. Let's keep this what it is...a great rivalry, what should be a great game, and showing the country that KANSAS is where basketball lives -- not North Carolina, Kentucky, Texas, Pennsylvania or Indiana.

I encourage everyone to keep it classy, in Lawrence and Manhattan. Y vamos pa'lante KU! Rock Chalk!!

Jeff Kilgore 9 years, 12 months ago

Maine's poll 1 vote! Montana's poll 1 vote!

Yea polls!!!!

Mike Kendall 9 years, 12 months ago

Hey, coming on this thread late because I had to shovel snow in South Central Kansas, which totally sucks, but anyway, earlier:

OakvilleJHawk--was asking about the game or games in which bananas and hot dogs were being thrown at the home games for both KU and K-State, at certain players. Jayhawkerjoel kind of beat me to the punch but I was at the game in Lawrence where students threw hot dogs at the K-State players, but it was Chuckie Williams, the former K-State player, who every time he would hit an outside shot, he would act like a hot dog. Back then, both K-State and KU had those synthetic basketball floors (It was a passing fad--kind of like long hair in the 70's). When the hot dogs were thrown on the synthetic surface, the custodians or whoever thought it would be best to just sweep the hot dogs off the floor---bad idea---the hot dogs just simply got rubbed into that surface even worse, so, there was a significant delay in the start of the game because of the cleanup on center court. Whoever was televising the game got really pissed because of the delay and as they say, the s**t rolls down the hill and right into the laps of the KU Administration. At K-State, like jayhawkerjoel pointed out, Donnie Von Moore, KU's center at the time, had bananas thrown at him--I guess because he resembled a gorilla. Moore, being African-American, did not sit well with the K-State Administration. Those students got in some big trouble for that little stunt, like jahawkerjoel mentioned. Like at Lawrence, the bananas were swept by brooms in Manhattan--I remember watching the game on TV (we didn't have flat-screens back then) and the bananas made a major mess on the floor. Those were some great memories! Needless to say, both institutions got rid of the synthetic surfaces, mostly because of all the injuries (i.e., shin splints) but probably also, because the floor were high maintenance.

Jaybate, slayr, ralster--I did a little research--aren't proud of me!!!!!!

Mike Kendall 9 years, 12 months ago

SoCalAlum--thanks for the links on Brady and Tyrel. Gets me fired up for Saturday's game! Rock Chalk, Jayhawk, GO KU!!!!!

jaybate 9 years, 12 months ago

HighEliteMajor,

As you are into outing people's former names, my real name is Jesus Aleuitous Yelbertson Benjamin Alfred Thor Edison. I changed it to jaybate, to make it easier to fill out my Costco membership form.

jaybate 9 years, 12 months ago

mikendal,

You have done the legacy a good deed. Thank you.

jaybate 9 years, 12 months ago

jkilgore,

I wonder who Maine and Montana play for cupcakes? :-)

Mike Kendall 9 years, 12 months ago

I have a thought for Jayhawk Nation---K-State and ESPN is really running with this "Octagon of Doom!" Since christening the new name for Bramledge, the Kitty Kats are 1-1 in "Doom." A win against Texas and a loss against O-State. How about another loss in the "Doom" tomorrow?!!!! Would anyone want to shout out?

100 9 years, 12 months ago

No matter what they want to call it....

It's still Bramlage

Martin Rosenblum 9 years, 12 months ago

This is a red letter day!

We have finally learned J.a.y.b.a.t.e.'s real identity!

Or, have we.........

Martin Rosenblum 9 years, 12 months ago

RE: Octagon of Doom

KSU stole this nickname from the Univ. of Memphis's former basketball venue, The Pyramid. It was dubbed the "Tomb of Doom" while the U of M played their games there before the FedEx Forum was built. Since the building was a pyramid, the "tomb" was appropriate. And the"doom" completed the rhyme. Historically, the building was "doomed" and has been closed to activities by the city for several years. Coincidentally, Calipari was the coach when it was last used for college basketball.

Be careful what you nickname a building, it could come back to haunt you. "Doom" is a two way street!

Mike Kendall 9 years, 12 months ago

It has been very interesting seeing different opinions about the "Octagon of Doom." Memhawk-----nice to know that the name is not completely original. jhwkfan162515----- 1-20 doesn't spell doom for the Jayhawks but I don't want to be completely overconfident going into the contest, if you know what I mean!

Kelly Hanrahan 9 years, 12 months ago

hot dogs were thrown at Curtis Redding of KSU when he was introduced before a Jan 78 game at AFH; when KU returned to play @ KSU in Feb 78, the students threw the bananas. Redding was a hot shot freshman who later transferred to St. John's. One of the better remarks after the game at AFH was - not enough mustard to put on that dog!

duanep5ku 9 years, 12 months ago

A few good reasons why we all should feel confident that we will win Saturday at KSU. KU has the same team this year that won at KSU last year virtually but with more experience and the MM twins are much better this year and I think having Brady and Tyrel the two in state guys helps us big time. They know what this game means to the state of Kansan, big advantage to KU . Oh and not to mention Sherron and Cole those two another edge for Kansas Xavier just needs to play smart in the game Saturday by limiting the TO and playing some defense and get some rebounds and KU will win Saturday I will only be worried Saturday if TT is in the game and he gets turnover happy then we may have a problem and KU will be in a close game to the end but will still win. KU by 15 if they hold the turnovers down GO KU

Mike Kendall 9 years, 12 months ago

53jayhawk----Yep, you are right---I stand corrected. I thought it was Chuckie Williams, but Curtis Redding--yes, that's the player who had hot dogs thrown at him. And, I was wondering the year that happened because I was at that game in Lawrence---1978---I was a Senior at Lawrence High School! Good memories!!!!

robert rasdon 9 years, 12 months ago

isn't it amazing when K-state finally gets some cred that they start coming up with names like octagon of doom,and then the fans start acting like they belong on the stage with Kansas.