Thursday, January 28, 2010

Little, Releford better off red-shirting

Kansas guard/forward Travis Releford snags a loose ball during warmups before the Jayhawks’ game against Baylor on Jan. 20 in Allen Fieldhouse. Releford, a sophomore from Kansas City, Mo., red-shirted last season.

KU and KSU set to square off on national stage

KU basketball will face a tough Kansas State squad Saturday in Manhattan.

Kansas University’s second team — better known as the Red Team — holds its own at daily basketball practice sessions.

“Our Red Team is really good. There are times where they get the best of the so-called top eight rotation (players),” KU coach Bill Self said of a squad led by red-shirts Mario Little and Travis Releford.

“Travis’ stroke has really improved, and Mario is getting to where he can score the ball,” Self added. “Who knows if it plays out this way, but I think those are good decisions those kids made (to red-shirt). I think they both could have a huge impact on the team and program. They are playing really well.”

Little, a 6-foot-5 senior, and Releford, a 6-5 sophomore, chose to practice but not play in games this season in hopes of earning major minutes during the 2010-11 campaign.

“It was tough at the beginning, but I’ve gotten used to it,” said Releford, a guard/forward out of Roeland Park Bishop Miege High. “I’m doing all right. All I do is practice and get after the players who are playing now and try to make them better.”

Playing alongside the likes of fellow Red Team players Jeff Withey, Elijah Johnson, Conner Teahan and C.J. Henry, Releford says he guards “everybody. I go from Sherron (Collins) to Cole (Aldrich) sometimes. It depends on how we play our defense.”

Releford — he averaged 2.7 points, 1.4 rebounds and 7.0 minutes a game in 32 games his freshman season — has been working on his outside shot.

“I think it is coming along. I have a lot of confidence in it. I’ve been shooting it (jumper) a lot more,” Releford said. “I’m really working on everything, both basketball and school.”

KU freshman Elijah Johnson said Releford has been a consistent performer.

“Travis is a great person when it comes to supporting others rather than himself,” Johnson added. “Travis is there every day with a smile on his face. He works hard and never complains about anything.”

KU assistant coach Danny Manning praised KU’s red-shirts on Tuesday’s Hawk Talk radio show.

“They play extremely hard. They are two of our most competitive players in practice because that is their game this year. Every time on the court, they view it as their game,” Manning said. “They are spending extra time in the weight room and shooting, working on what they need to become better players. We expect great things from both those guys.”

Johnson’s time coming

Johnson, a 6-2, 183-pound freshman guard from Las Vegas, has averaged 3.1 points, 1.7 assists and 8.0 minutes a game in 17 games.

“I know it’ll be my time at one point, and it’ll be another freshman going through it in the program,” Johnson said. “Me being aware of that, I take a lot of pressure off myself. I go to practice with a smile on my face. I’m not playing a lot, but I’m enjoying my time.”

Self’s philosophy on red-shirting a player

“In our situation, it’s probably 70 percent player and 30 percent our (coach) input. It was one of those deals I had an opinion (on Little and Releford). I shared it. You don’t red-shirt guys unless you think they can help you. I think both can greatly impact the program. Did Travis think he could impact the program more at age 23 as opposed to 19? The national average is 4.6 years for any student to leave college with their degree. You want kids to have their degree when they leave here. This helps ensure that. I think those are good decisions those kids made.”

Comments

AsadZ 10 years ago

I am proud of these guys. Hard work at practice will make them better players and they will get their deserved minutes down the road. Its very refreshing to see such attitude from young kids.

blackmild33 10 years ago

that is good for tho young man and it will pay off next year they will show ever one what ku is about

go jayhawks

jaybate 10 years ago

"...it’s probably 70 percent player and 30 percent our (coach) input."-- Bill Self on the red-shirting decision

This vaguely reminds me of an old country song lyric by Jerry Reed.

"They said they're a splittin' it right down the middle But she got the bigger half."

In this situation, Coach Self is splittin' it 70/30 But his 30 is bigger than the player's 70. :-)

Hypothetical coach: A, we've got to talk about next season. Hypothetical player A: Sure, coach, I'm all ears. Coach: You want to play next season, or red-shirt? Player A: Well, I wanna play, if you're going to play me, but not if not. Coach: There's a significant chance you won't play much next season, but a significant chance you'll play a lot two seasons from now. And you'll have time to get your degree. But the decision is mostly up to you. Player A: We'll then, I'll red-shirt. Coach: You just made one of the best decisions of your life. Player A: Thanks, coach. (pause) Hey, what woulda happened if I'd decided not to redshirt? Coach: I would have counseled you until you decided on your own to make the decision to red shirt. Player A: Great. Glad I made the right decision to begin with.

:-)

Hotel_Mirimar_1 10 years ago

you're so silly, jaybate. such a funny little guy

John Brown 10 years ago

I think that Little and Releford are looking at the big picture rather than a snap shot. They both know that the Kansas BB program will give them a great advantage in their lifetimes and that their opportunities will be better if they are patient.

FairgroveJayhawk 10 years ago

Hows abouts some more info on Mario Little? It's good to hear how these guys, or Travis, is doing with the red-shirt situation. Hopefully they will be able to contribute to their hearts content next year. Their contributions still show up every game reflected in the success of the team.

Jonathan Allison 10 years ago

win a championship this season or not, these two players are going to be focused next year. Releford was one of the best players in preseason practice THIS season. I can't wait to see what he can do.

We've got an awesome team this year, but we'll have a pretty good lineup next year, too. Expect Tyshawn and Elijah to do most of the handling. Brady and Tyrel to be the assassins. Play Little when we want more of a midrange, post-up kind of small forward and Releford when we want the athletic slasher/3 pt threat. Nobody even knows what Royce is going to bring. I expect both twins back because I don't picture Marcus leaving his brother behind for the NBA. Withey, Robinson, we've got a good team waiting in the wings.

BucknellJayhawk3 10 years ago

Whats are starting lineup next year?

5- Withey 4- Marcus 3- Little? 2- Brady 1- EJ/CJ?

bradynsdad 10 years ago

think about this worst case scenario we lose cole and xavier this year, i still believe we will be preseason number one again next year. we will still be deep at the post and aside from e.j., c.j.,releford, and little, we still bring back brady and tyrell. HCBS is pretty well set for the next two to three years. also i just got my kentucky #1 t-shirt in the mail cant wait to wear it today and show off...wait what, monday was the only day to wear it :(

Sally Presson 10 years ago

I admire Releford so much, just watching him on the sidlines knowing how hard it is on him not playing. He's always cheering and encouraging the players on the court. It appears he has a great attitude and hopefully this red-shirt will help in the the long haul. Way to stick in there Travis!!!

Justin Carlson 10 years ago

2010 - 2011 Starters and 10 man rotation

5 Keif subs Jeff 4 Marcus subs Thomas 3 Mario subs Travis 2 Brady subs TT or CJ if TT transfers 1. EJ subs Tyrel

LOADED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MikeOlmstead 10 years ago

Jaybate, do us all a favor and take a few plays off. A grown man shouldn't be posting comments that sound like a 12 year old girl.

Darrel Stice 10 years ago

Wow, how many teams can say they have a practice squad that can play with their starters and top guys in the rotation? This just puts our ceiling that much higher and our future that much brighter! Keep pushin' em and making them better and you could be cutting down the nets right along with them!!

Tony Bandle 10 years ago

"You want kids to have their degree leave when they leave here."

Probably the most important sentence in the whole article and a concept I'm sure that is totally foreign to Calipari.

Geez..MikeOlmstead your constant whining about Jaybate has become more annoying than anything Jaybate ever posted. C'mon man, let it go...you've had some great posts analyzing the Hawks. Let's see more of those. Life is too friggin' short!!

How and what you say about someone is just as much a reflection of yourself as well as your opinion of that person. We're all Hawks here.

[PS..If Jaybate had been a Mizzou Tiger, I'd say rip him a new one!! :} ]

gojbirds 10 years ago

EJ says... “He brings competition, energy, positive things every day. He’s learning just like the rest of us are learning,” Johnson said. “I feel you can’t be around Bill Self every single day and not get better, whether from a mental standpoint or on the court."

"I go to practice with a smile on my face. I’m not playing a lot, but I’m enjoying my time.”

Anyone else impressed by this?

kvskubball 10 years ago

Redshirting will definitely help these players improve their basketball skills and their strength. I hope they stay healthy.

Now, how about a bigger fish????

I recommend that Xavier not go pro next year.

I mean he will almost certainly be drafted in the first round next year...but how much will he play??? Not much...Why?

I'm glad you asked...

X looks terrible when attacking the basket from the right side. I don't remember him ever trying to put up a lay-up with his right hand. He's basically left handed only.

In the half court sets, he doesn't really have a good move to get him in transition from a jump shooting position to attacking the rim. He hasn't shown much of a pump fake and drive ability, either.

I'm sure X is working hard every day, but if he wants to play and get lots of minutes, or start in the NBA, he has a lot of things to work on. College is the best place to work on his game. He can be a star in college, maybe by the end of this year, but his overall game could use a second year, and just imagine how big a star he will be next year -- in college.

His brother signed a baseball contract out of high school, it was based on his potential, but that potential never developed to major league ability. Xavier will be able to get a NBA contract on his potential, but won't soon be as good as say Paul Pierce, (maybe never will be, if he goes pro after one year), who's physique is pretty similar, because his game is mostly limited to a jump shot, and pretty awkward moves to the basket...He was able to be a super-star in high school, with that limited repetoire, because he was more physically skilled than his high school competitors. In college, he still is more physically skilled than most players he plays against, but he has been shown that his talent alone doesn't win every battle...

X's defense has improved a lot of the first half of the season, that's good!

Now he needs to develop more moves on offense and develop his ability to move and score the ball with both hands, which he is very limited in right now.

X is a great talent, but if he wants to achieve super-start status in the NBA, a second year of college ball would serve him very well. If on the other hand, he just wants an NBA paycheck for 3 years, and not play much, well that will almost certainly be available after this season! He should ask his brother how much that sucks!

What do you think Xavier???

kvskubball 10 years ago

Did anyone look at or vote in the poll about which former Jayhawk's jersey you would most like to have????

. . . . . . .

Did you notice that a prominent current NBA player and previous KU player was missing???

I can't believe they would put up a poll like that and not include Paul Pierce...

IMO, serious egg on the face of whoever put the poll together!

David Leathers 10 years ago

Here's my guess as to the starting lineup next year:

5 Withey backed up by T-Rob 4 Mc. Morris backed up by Kieff and T-Rob 3 X.Henry backed up by Little 2 Morningstar backed up by Reed 1 EJ backed up by CJ

Reed, Morningstar and EJ carry the ball up the court.

I really don't think, more so, hope, that X isn't going... But it's likely the $$ will sing louder than experience.

X stays, CJ stays, we still have a talented team next year to make a long run... and if they do stay, Wooldridge will possibly redshirt.

Tony Bandle 10 years ago

Latest mock draft has Cole as a lottery, Xavier as a mid first rounder, Collins as a mid second rounder. If you all are planning next year's roster, I would suggest you assume these three Hawks are gone.

Remember also, Bill will still have two scholarships and he's hitting hard on Josh Selby, so keep him in mind. You may see Woolridge and T-Rob both red shirted next year to make room for Travis, Mario and Selby

jchawkfan 10 years ago

kvskuball-There was an articled posted yesterday that goes with that poll. They are excluding Pierce because his jersey is a top 10 selling jersey in the NBA already. I believe the article was titled Jersey? Sure or something like that.

Scott Smetana 10 years ago

Tay RockChalkCali... just curious, where's TT? Also, I don't see Releford on your list. Such good problems to have! No doubt we'll be loaded next year if:

1. Our bigs work hard in the off season.
  2. X stays
  3. Self keeps good team chemistry despite limited playing times.

Kye Clark 10 years ago

gojbirds - To me EJ's comments were what pleased me most from this article. I had concerns that he may have been looking to transfer due to frustration over playing time. For a while, it seemed like CJ was getting in games before EJ, and that had to leave the Prophet wondering "even with Sherron gone next year, what will my role be?" To know that he has such an outstanding attitude greatly eased my worry.

Kye Clark 10 years ago

Regarding next year's line-up, let's say X and Cole leave:

5 Keif subs Withey 4 Marcus subs TRob 3 Releford subs Mario 2 Brady subs Tyrel 1 EJ subs TT

You can play around with the guard configuration, throwing CJ into the mix, but next year does present questions. We got Royce coming in...redshirt? And if you include CJ in the mix (which I think you almost have to), how to you juggle 5 guards at the 1 and 2? And what if we land Knight, Selby, or Lamb? Coach Self will again be faced with a similar predicament that he was this year, only aside from Royce who can you really ask to red-shirt? Tyrel will be a senior. TT would probably rather transfer. EJ & CJ probably would have preferred to sit this year as opposed to next. And if we land any of those recruits I doubt they'd be very open to redshirting.

A couple of things to look at in retrospect. While I'm not bashing on the kid and while it was certainly a good get at the time, getting Tyshawn so late after being released from his committment to Marquette sure has crowded things down the line. You can't predict the future, and perhaps we were overcompensating for the cupboard being a little bare after the '08 season and providing insurance should Sherron have chose to leave after last year. I also think that Tyrel and Brady exceeded expectations, further muddying things up. Again, not to disparaging them at all, but they were a couple of in-state...what, 3 star recruits maybe? They were probably brought in to fill out the recruiting class, provide great work on the red team, but probably never play big minutes. Think Connor Teahan.

Now, imagine if X and Cole come back...whoa! If Cole comes back you almost have to think about asking TRob to redshirt. You can't really ask Withey, he already sat out a year just to transfer here. If X stays, you've created a situation where poor Mario can't really go anywhere to find minutes. The frontline is already crowded, and he can't play any smaller than a 3. Releford probably takes the minutes when X is out.

Who knows how it will shake out? Kinda fun to speculate though.

Robert Brock 10 years ago

5 - Withey 4 - McMorris 3 - Lamb/Selby? 2 - Morningstar 1 - EJ

Taylor would have to make enormous strides to get back into the starting lineup, but definitely still could happen - he's more than capable.

Not sure if Little could ever play significant minutes on the wing - he just did not show stellar ball handling last year and struggled guarding quicker, more athletic wings - could still play a lot of minutes as a combo forward. I'd like to hear what he looks like in practice these days.

If KU lands one of Selby or Lamb, which many analysts conclude they will get one, they will make a very good case for a starting spot with their scoring aptitude, which KU will be desperate for on the wing next year (X is gone people). Selby is apparently a very good ball handler, slasher, defender and sounds like someone Self would love.

Derek Conway 10 years ago

1. Josh Selby/EJ
  2. TT/Brady/Tyrel
  3. Little/Releford
  4. Twins
  5. Trob/With

kvskubball 10 years ago

jchawkfan...

Thanks! I didn't see the article, about the players' jersey poll and it just struck me as really weird that Pierce's name wasn't included.

Marcia Parsons 10 years ago

Having too much talent--what an unusual problem to have! I enjoyed your speculations, icthawkfan316. One thing I notice in the guard discussion--if X leaves I don't believe CJ will be an issue. I can't see him staying on his own on the chance he might get off the bench a little more often.

kvskubball 10 years ago

BrockIII,

I know X can be gone after this season, but I'm advising that what would most likely be best for his future NBA career, is to stay another year and not rush getting to the NBA.

Speaking of rushing...Rush waited until after his junior year, and he is still only getting limited minutes, and I think his game and X's (the level of ability & performance, not comparing style) are pretty similar --- comparing them at the half-way point of their freshmen years...although X may be getting more PT than Brandon did?

Julian went early and is languishing, and he's a very talented player, but just didn't take the time to develop his body and game...He got drafted on potential, and he's probably not real happy he left when he did...but the money is good, so maybe he is ok with it?!

Arthur, went early and he is buried behind a bevy of bigs in Memphis...at least I think he's still in Memphis...my point on him is he's not playing enough to be on the NBA 'radar'...and he is a very skilled player, but his body and game were just developing when he left, and he wasn't ready to compete for starter's minutes in the NBA...

But maybe X can be like Mario Chalmers, and get drafted into the exact right spot and get lots of PT...I don't believe his game is as ready for the pros as Mario's was when he left...

So, Brock, you may be right...X may be gone after this year...but unless he suddenly or quickly develops better offensive skills, as I mentioned above, then he will be riding the pine, much of the time, like the majority of early entrants to the NBA do....

It's his decision, and I hope whatever he decides works out for him, but looking at the players who have left early, who has succeeded in the NBA (I measure success as being a consistent starter and/or stastically productive player)

Paul Pierce left early (in the lock out year..ggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!) and he developed excellently...though, had he stayed his senior year, I still believe we would have been prohibitive favorites to win a championship! Oh well, shoulda, coulda....

Chalmers left early and started most of last year, but has been in and out of the starting lineup this year...

As I note above, the rest of KU's early entrants have struggled, even though each one of them has great athletic and basketball ability.

Kye Clark 10 years ago

oldalum - you might be right regarding CJ. Just depends on what he wants to do for himself and how much he loves the game. His baseball career didn't pan out, and he probably won't go pro, so it would be wise of him to stay and get an education, and if he loves the game maybe he stays on the team. Of course he could just live off of X's millions I guess.

I personally think X is not ready to go, but I believe he will. If he comes back even a little bit from his recent slump (which I think he took a step against Misery) then he'll be a 1st round pick, and I don't foresee him passing that up.

Tony Bandle 10 years ago

On early departure by the Jayhawks to the NBA there are only two answers:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ or sense!!

JHawk74 10 years ago

I think we have to assume that we lose X Henry, Cole, Collins and Taylor.

Starting Five Center - Kieff Morris Forward - M. Morris Forward - Little ( or Brady) Guard - CJ Henry Guard - Johnson

Brady or (Little) - Sixth Man Withey - Back up Center Robinson - Back up Forward Reed - Back up Guard Releford- Back up Guard Woolridge - Back up Guard (similar playing time as Johnson this year) Clean up Minutes - Teahan and Buford

kennethst 10 years ago

JAYBATE is back!!

Where have you been??? There was only chaos while you were away!

tical523 10 years ago

We are lucky fans here at KU, just knowing the attitude of so many of our star players. To read about Little and Releford's attitude and work ethic just shows the kind of kids Bill Self recruits. . . I know they may not be "Roy's Boys" as I have heard many people say but we always have a real solid group of guys to pull for. Reading Elijah Johnson quotes and watching him cheer on the bench is almost unbelievable, any 5 star recruits thinks he can immediately ball out. Seeing the turnaround in the attitude of the Morris twins is similar to the turnaround of Darrell Arthur, they all came in looking like the toughest guy in the room but they eventually become part of the Phog and smile more than anything else. I love our team because they love being a part of it and it is easy to see. They all know they are part of something bigger than themselves and it is so so so fun to be a part of. Bill Self really is THE MAN!!

Tony Bandle 10 years ago

Allen Fieldhouse..Beware The Phog!! Bramledge Arena..The Octagon of Dumb!!

Kansas University...The Home of Basketball Kansas State University...The Home of Animal Husbandry

KU Chant...Rock Chalk Jayhawk KSU Chant...Soooeee, Soooeee

KU Coach....Genius KSU Coach...Maniac

Kansas National Championship....Five Kansas State National Championships...Not even a sniff

JhawkHoopsCrzy 10 years ago

Great article, so impressed by the attitudes of these young men in an era where the pressure is on for flash not substance. They are a wonderful example not only to other players, but to the negativity and second guessing that is daily-fare in many of the comments on this site.

What great young men, thank you HCBS for being such a strong leader, teacher, recruiter and chemistry buff ;-)

tis4tim 10 years ago

kvskubball,

I agree with your overall point of leaving early, but a few corrections on the former Hawks:

Rush has in fact been getting major minutes this year. He began this season in the starting line-up, but lost it because of issues with passivity that we are all familiar with.

He is now starting again, averaging just under 30 min. per game over the past month with 10pts and 4+ reb. on 45% shooting. Last week, he averaged 15 pts. 5 reb. 1 block and 3-3pointers per game on 48% shooting.

Julian has indeed languished as you so well put it and has reached make it or break it point in his career (at least in New Orleans).

Arthur has missed all season due to injury, so it's hard to determine what kind of success he'll have at the next level. However, with Marc Gasol and now Zach Randolph and Hasheem Thabeet in the mix, it'll be tough to get his minutes in Memphis.

And Chalmers lost his starting spot weeks ago after 137 (I think) starts to begin his career and has become a forgotten man in Miami. Wade even threw him under the bus after they picked up Rafer Alston, saying Alston is the "right" guy to get him the ball in the best spots. Chalmers it is said could become another Rajon Rondo type player, but right now he is buried on the bench getting run only in garbage time. But, I think he'll be solid overall.

Since this is a KU board, not NBA, I shall conclude with: RCJHGKU!

mandomax 10 years ago

I love Elijah Johnson. He seems to have a lot of common sense, and an enormous amount of respect for HCBS. He understands his role on the team (unlike other guards who shall remain nameless), and you can tell he is really eager to shine his sophomore year. You can't have a sophomore slump when you only play 7 minutes a game as a freshman!

Robert Brock 10 years ago

kvskubball and dragonslayer,

You made great points and I agree wholeheartedly with your analysis. I agree that X really isn't ready for the jump to the next level. I saw him play on his AAU team a few times last year and though he didn't have incredible games, he still was impressive with his shooting and ability to drive and finish or get to the line. This year, I'm really stunned that he's not as aggressive and assertive as I expected him to be on offense - his defense has been much better than expected though. He's essentially a strong-bodied jump shooter when all is said and done, with possibly less comfortability handling the ball than Rush showed and less athleticism than Rush. I think once X gets his confidence up and improves his ball handling, though, he'll be absolutely dynamite at driving and doing pull up 10-15 foot jumpers.

In regards to the pros, I think barring something like an injury (knock on wood), there's no chance he's coming back. And yes, he'll probably be riding the pine for a while, but that usually doesn't matter to guys - they want the bucks and they think they're ready. And it won't make any difference if his shooting woes continue for the remainder of the year and he never really clicks like we all expect him to. He's going to be a late first round pick at the very least and possibly a lottery pick if he can close the season playing at a higher level. And with Collins and Aldrich gone next year, there are many question marks for him . He'll get his shots, but it could also be a tough transitional year. Who will be dishing him the ball? The backcourt is going to be really young. Will Withey and Morris be so lively down low that there will be a solid inside-out game to get him some good looks? Look at what's going on at OU. Without Griffin and with the addition of many fresh faces, the team is really struggling and I bet Willie Warren regrets not coming out.

Larry Smith 10 years ago

X is gone for sure. Every mock draft I have seen show him as a lottery pick. He can spend 1 more year in college or get paid to start learning the NBA system. Most people seem to forget that the NBA drafts more on potential than actual ability to contribute immediately. And don't discount the thought that the sooner you get to the league, the sooner you get that second contract. That is when you really cash in.

JHWK 10 years ago

EJ is great, but I think he should have red-shirted, as well. No PT this year, but for some limited help if there is foul trouble, or mop-up. If he had the patience exhibited by TR and ML, he'd have 4 years chock full of minutes. Sadly, he'll have 3.

X is all over the top 10 draft picks this year, despite how much he needs to grow. Look at J Wright. Same deal - he was drafted on his potential as has been said, not his readiness. Same with Rush and Shady.

The big question is: could you pass up that money, and hope you don't get hurt after another year of starting in college? I couldn't. Just look at Oklahoma's QB. Waited another year, got hurt and now may never play again. I would not risk it, I would jump if I were top ten, and I'm sure X will do the same. Yes, we'd love to have him stay and get more consistency in his jumper, learn to create offense in the lane and defend even better. But, all the guys everyone's speaking of are in the pro's making bank, and getting better (hopefully!). They can take care of their families and themselves, and that is what many would and should do.

Taylor leave? To another program, maybe, but not to the NBA.

On more important topics at hand: Let's take the momentum, toughness, rebounding, low 3 reliance and confidence into AFH West on Saturday!!!!! Rock Chalk!!!

tis4tim 10 years ago

Another thing to consider about jumping to the NBA is that, unless there are some serious concessions made by the player's union in regard to the current salary structure, there will be a lockout in 2011.

tis4tim 10 years ago

I should say the 2011-2012 season (after next season).

kcgregory 10 years ago

Tyshawn will be a starter next year and I would not be surprised if he's starting games by the end of this year.

kvskubball 10 years ago

JHWK...

Could I pass up the money? I would like to think I would make the decision that Cole and Sherron did for the current year. Yes. I'd give up one year's income, to improve my game. Injury is a risk, but you can recover from probably 90% of injuries...basketball is different than football in that regard.

Just a reminder, the rookie salaries are chicken feed compared to the salary possibilities as a veteran. LOL, for most of us the rookie salaries are more than we'll make in a lifetime (for the 3 year GT'd).

I'd just hope that if I had been in that situation, I would be able to accurately evaluate my game (like Cole) and say: 1) I need to come back and get better, and 2) I want to come back, because even though my family could use the dough (in Cole's situation, which seems different than X's), I'm enjoying being young and playing more for the fun of it, than for the money!

But if X wants to leave after this year, that's his choice, and I'll wish him luck. I just think he'll need more 'luck' to have a long and studly NBA career, if he leaves this year, again, unless he really improves his game before the end of the year (very possible). I remember early in Pierce's junior year, he still didn't always look ready, but towards the end of that season, you could tell he was really close to busting out all over, and could compete with the pros, not every day at that point, but it was there!

Just trying to say what I really think is the best advice I could give him...

kvskubball 10 years ago

tis4tim,

I'm a NBA fantasy bball player on ESPN, and I drafted Rush in one league and I've watched his stats over the course of the year. Indy is a squirrely situation for him. Sometimes they go small, and when they do, there is more PT for Brandon, when they go big, less PT. So, he's getting minutes, often in the small sets. I haven't paid attention to his stats recently, but if you're right and he's getting 30 minutes every game, I'll have to look at him again...I could use a dual-rated SG-SF!

IMO, I think he has probably the second best game for any former Hawks, currently in the NBA, behind only Pierce. He hasn't gotten to that point yet, but it is in him. Just maybe needs a commitment from his team, and a more aggressive disposition. Brandon really reminds me of Sleepy Floyd who played for the Celtics, ummm a little while ago, LOL...He's really laid back, but his game will come into focus, and he'll play for quite awhile, he well could be a Pippen to someone else's Jordan! He could make a living off of his shot from kick-outs, even though that is far from all he can do!

ParisHawk 10 years ago

icthawkfan316, just a detail:

You said this morning : "EJ & CJ probably would have preferred to sit this year as opposed to next. And if we land any of those recruits I doubt they'd be very open to redshirting."

This came up last fall: CJ can't redshirt. At his age, you lose a year of eligibility whether you play or not.

tis4tim 10 years ago

drgnslayr,

I'll preface this by saying I generally enjoy your posts.

I won't often disagree with you, but college is no longer the only place for that middle ground. The NBA has a developmental league where guys who are straddling the big time can get some run and play other borderline NBA guys to get valuable experience. And they can get a paycheck to boot, albeit a modest one. Top to bottom, my guess is that the skill level there is stronger than college where you see many guys "go pro in something other than their sport" to quote the old NCAA advertisement.

tis4tim 10 years ago

kvskubball,

lol...I run an NBA fantasy league every year and I did grab Rush last week. Last game he got me 13 points and 11 rebounds.

I also drafted Chalmers, but I had no choice but to dump him as Spolestra continues to toy with his guard rotation.

BTW, Thanks for the reply. I feared my post came off as snooty and elitist. The last thing I want to do here is sound like a Kentucky fan.

OakvilleJHawk,

I rarely disagree with you, my esteemed friend and master architect, but I have to hotly contest your assertion that the alias MikeOlmstead has "...written some great posts analyzing the Hawks."

I honestly cannot recall the content of even one sentence by MikeOlmstead that could not as well have been written by a mollusk.

In fact, and this is the gospel truth, after reading one of MikeOlmstead's posts, I, jaybate, copied and pasted that post into an email and addressed it the KU Museum of Natural History to see if a curator, or even some grad student, there might be able to confirm, whether or not MikeOlmstead's post might be some kind of evidence that a pre-historic mollusk dating back to the time of Kansas being an inland sea might have survived all these eons and be living in the Kansas River near the Massachussetts Street river bridge crossing to North Lawrence.

I didn't hear back for quite some time, but finally I got a cell phone call from some adjunct professor of paleo-molluskology, or something. She identified herself as Professor Meta Beta. She asked me where I got the post and I told her from KUSports.com.

Professor Meta Beta said, and I quote, "This is a striking piece of scientific evidence, Mr. jaybate."

"Just call me jaybate, Doctor."

Did I mention that she spoke with an accent of someone from India?

"Very well, jaybate, this is a striking piece of evidence because it lends credence to a hypothesis of mine that there is a so far unverified community of pre-historic mollusks living in the Kansas River and that these prehistoric mollusks have the remarkable characteristic of having a microscopically thin tendon that is able to pick up wifi and conduct that signal through the nervous systems of the creature. Are you with me so far, jaybate?"

I was as amazed and perhaps as astounded as I had been when I first learned of Stanley Pons' original Cold Fusion findings at Utah State (which by the way it turns out lo these many years later not to have been legitimately refuted).

Professor Beta continued, relating her remarkable hypothesis through her lilting, enchanting accent which sounded remarkably like the cheerful Hindi, Urdo, or Tamil accents I have heard when speaking with tech support at Microsoft about Windows.

"You see, jaybate, I believe these seemingly primitive invertabrate creatures have had millions of years to evolve and adapt to changing environmental factors, though apparently largely without natural predators, since they are buried deep in the silt rich waters of the Kaw. Along the way, I hypothesize that they have developed fantastic immune systems we human beings can only dream about. They can actually metabolize and thrive upon heavy metals, herbicides, pesticides and McDonalds wrappers thrown out of cars on the Turnpike crossing the Kaw."

jaybate 10 years ago

"This is amazing!" I said. "You're going to win the mother of all grants for this discovery!"

Professor Beta chuckled.

"A few rupes would be nice."

"So how smart are these mollusks buried in the Kansas River. Could they go to KU?"

"Oh, my no," she said, "They are no where near that smart."

"K-State?"

"Perhaps, but not likely, at least judging from this piece of evidence."

"Where then?"

"Oh, isn't it obvious to you, jaybate?"

"No, it isn't."

"They are just barely smart enough to attend online and graduate online from MU," she said. "This post by a Mr. MikeOlmstead has to have been written by a prehistoric Kansas River mollusk that free rides on a hotspot in down town Lawrence somewhere, and which has spent the last few years teaching itself enough to get, oh, judging by the syntax and vocabulary, a B.A. in the subliterate journalistic curriculum they teach in Columbia. Really, there can be no doubt."

Now, OakvilleJHawk, I swear, on a stack of Jayhawk game programs from the '52, '88 and '08 NCAA championship games, that Professor Meta Beta really did call me and really did relate to me what I transcribed above. She really doe believe that MikeOlmstead is a prehistoric Kansas River mollusk that somehow connected with a wifi hotspot and graduated online from Fizzou.

Now we both know, OakvilleJHawk, that a pre-historic Kansas river mollusk graduated online from MU, even if it were with honors, could not possibly have anything insightful to say about KU basketball.

I believe I have what amounts to a prima facie case.

Rock chalk!

jaybate 10 years ago

And now for a poem for anthonyzal in the manner of e e cummings. It is called: "antho nyzal"

antho nyzal and don't ewe fergit it rhymes with esel. well, no it don't-- not quite.

man,

what a bite; that it don't quite rhyme just right.

antho nyzal and don't ewe fergit it rhymes with weasel. well, no it don't-- not quite.

man,

what a bite; that it don't quite rhyme just right.

in the starbucks the Bramlage women with their furnished souls sit with their antho nyzals

and don't ewe fergit

it.

Rock chalk antho nyzal.

Eurekahwk 10 years ago

Tyshawn Taylor did not say he was transfering. He was quoting rap lyrics. For all we know, he could have been at a party. And he was saying he's outta here from the party.

rges 10 years ago

I like hearing what Elijah Johnson had to say. Seeing him on the bench i was never sure of what he was thinking about being such a highly recruited player out of highschool and not seeing the floor right now. I really love his attitude and his time is going to come!

milehighhawk 10 years ago

Hey everybody!

It's JAYBATE!

The TV show you can't turn off!

YAY!!!

Jack Wilson 10 years ago

2010-2011

1. EJ
  2. Brady or TT
  3. Releford
  4. Marcus 4a. Robinson

No real 5 unless Withey is in; Withey, Markieff sub low; Not sold on Little as even in the picture but assuming that he is, he and Reed round out a 10 man rotation. Seems like that may be one or two heavy. Lots of growing pains next year, with late upside. Not sure we land an impact freshman. If Taylor's in the starting 5 above, this should be a fast, get up and down the court type team. This will be Marcus' team.

Jack Wilson 10 years ago

Eurekahwk: Well, that's one way to spin it. Another way is that Taylor is a selfish, spoiled malcontent that has an inflated view of his place on this team. Guess is the truth is somewhere in the middle, but closer to the "selfish" side than your speculation. Quite frankly, I hope he does transfer. He would be an excellent addition to Western Kentucky, or Rutgers, and it would be an "addition by subtraction" for us.

tical523 10 years ago

Mario Little will be a stud next year, trust me. He is going to bring that Larry Bird style back to the hardwood, just wait!!

Kye Clark 10 years ago

mikeolmstead, jayhawkinnebr & anthonyzal - you're better off just ignoring Jaybate. Do what I do, and that's for the most part ignore his postings. Should you draw his ire then he will flood the site with posts criticizing you and your takes, and unfortunately (and despite his denial to this point) he has many followers. Some of the things I've seen written just this year are as follows:

"Jaybate is a KU national treasure"

"Jaybate is Coach Self!"

"jaybate is back!! Where have you been??? There was only chaos while you were away!" (This on this very thread. Jaybate was apparently in Cancun for a week or so).

Those are direct quotes. It's a bit sickening. During his absence I can't tell you how many of times I'd be perusing the comments and see someone ask "where is Jaybate?", as if some of these people need Jaybate to tell them how to think. Maybe followers isn't the right word for it. More like he has groupies.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and as someone said we're all Jayhawk fans here. Unfortunately, should you even disagree with him, he makes it a point to try and make you look stupid (the E.E. Cummings style poem was not his best attempt) and even if his logic is faulty or you think he failed in his attempt to discredit your opinions, so many of the posters just take what he says as gospel. This site is definitely an ego boost for him, and attacking his ego is reason for him to launch a psuedo-intellectual assault on you. When he sticks to basketball and doesn't get too fancy in his attempt to entertain the masses, his takes are pretty good, even if he states his opinions as facts. However, I'm just warning you about the Jaybate phenomenom, not necessarily his basketball knowledge. I imagine for simply pointing this out he'll have something snooty and uppity to say aimed in my direction. He once tried telling everybody I was a Missouri fan (because I disagreed with him about Brady Morningstar and pointed out a mistake he had made). However, like I said, it's best to just ignore him if you don't like him.

DENDK24 10 years ago

JHWK

I agree that it is hard to give up the money and stay for another year, however despite the injury Bradford (the Oklahoma Quarterback) is still projected as the first or second quarterback drafted and most likely a top ten pick. Also, Remember the insurance policy that Raef had when he stayed for his last year, it was like a million +, so if X stays he'll be set for life either way. That being said I'm sure he's gone which is ok because we have two three guards redshirting right now which are guaranteed to be more aggressive than X anyway so we are good either way.

waywardJay 10 years ago

I saw Mike Olmstead spark fire with flint rocks and he thought it was thunder from the sky in a very, very empty Rupp Arena.

anthonyzal,

Why does it not surprise me that Peter Griffin would be a valid appeal to authority for literary criticism, or that Fox would own your eyes? :-)

waywardJay 10 years ago

Anthonyzal first verse for you, MIke Olmstead second for you......

good song it's not mine but it works......

Woke up this morning and it seemed to me, that every night turns out to be A little more like Bukowski. And yeah, I know he's a pretty good read. But God who'd wanna be? God who'd wanna be such an ahole? God who'd wanna be? God who'd wanna be such an ahole?

Well we sat on the edge of the river, the crowd screamed, "Sacrifice the liver!" If God takes life, he's an Indian giver. So tell me now why, you'll tell me never. Who would wanna be? Who would wanna be such a control freak? Well who would wanna be? Who would wanna be such a control freak?

( from BUkowski by Modest mouse )

waywardJay,

I like Chuckie B. Flop house props to ya for that effort.

As for me...the muse strikes again...

I saw MikeOlmstead destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked, dragging himself through mayonaisse streets at dawn looking for an angry suppository; a pattern balded square burning for the ancient, asperating connection to an Edsel again.”

Note: Of course this is all fiction.

"Do what I do..."--icthawkfan316 offering advice

Well, that just about sums up icthawkfan316. :-)

waywardJay 10 years ago

bate, your always more eloquent then I.... i prefer the more direct approach...... comparing MikeOlmstead to mollusk implies that he has not advanced since the cambrian era.... and it also implie she has the spinal column as structurally intact as Derrick rose's Sat scores were....

you hit high.... i hit low....

He's not very courageous.

waywardJay,

Wasn't Charles a first round inductee into Alcoholics Synonymous Hall of Fame?

waywardJay 10 years ago

i don't know.... perhaps he was a lottery pick.... but i have the inclination to be lieve he was the sleeper pick in the mid twenties.

AsadZ 10 years ago

While everyone has their right to post, it is extremely disappointing for some KU fans to attack other fans on the post. I am referring to those who are writing against jaybate. If you do not like to read his posts, simply go on. You dot have to show hatred on this forum. This is least expected from KU fans. We are like a family.

Personally I respect jaybates's posts. He is putting his time and energy here and it provides insight and analysis, and they are very well written with humor.

Kye Clark 10 years ago

AsadZ - you basically said the exact same thing I said only you defended Jaybate. I said that everyone has a right to their posts, but that should you disagree with him you would draw his ire. You basically said everyone has their right to post, but don't pick on him. Just interesting that you are disappointed in those who write against/attack Jaybate, but not disappointed in Jaybate for writing against/attacking other posters. Feels like a bit of a double standard don't you think?

jayhawk_games_fan 10 years ago

Good point there ...fan316

I used to enjoy most of Jaybate's posts (when it used to be mostly about basketball)...In fact had quite some respect for his level of analysis on some issues.

However, I ended up despising his posts because of the endless way he berates fellow KU fans, just to make him or the point he is making look good…egocentric adamant person (fool?).

JHWK 10 years ago

I hope I'm proved wrong, gents. I hope X opts for getting better and increasing his bball IQ, as did Rush, Aldrich and Collins. And, hopeful that the team has a leader emerge. Who will it be? MarcM? Brady?

So many reasons to stay on The Hill, as we all know. Free State beer alone would have been enough for me....but I was never an athlete, just a Horrorzontal.....

I can't wait for tomorrow!! For those of you going, the last time I was there you could here Rock Chalk chant at the end, let's hope we can hear you!!!

Rock Chalk!

Tony Bandle 10 years ago

In some small way, these posts are all of us striving for a microbit of immortality [I post therefore I am]. Jaybate isn't the true root of the issue...it's having our opinion neutralized or worse yet degraded or even worse ignored all together.

We are all Jayhawks here and that in itself should carry a measure of expectation rising above mean spirited exchanges.

No one is excused from taking these posts past good taste, friendly banter or respectful disagreement. It will continue to happen but let it be a reflection of the poster not the subject of the post.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, we have a National Championship to win!!!!

RCJHGKU

AsadZ,

Actually, you did not say "...basically the exact same thing [icthawkfan316] said only you defended Jaybate."

icthawkfan316 has some very rudimentary techniques of rationalization that involve a combination of mis-statement and appropriation.

It comes down to this: persons who can think see through what he's doing and those who can't watch Fox. :-)

If you catch my drift here.

And thanks for the assist.

jayhawk_games_fan,

Enjoy. Respect. Despise.

Batting .666 isn't bad, though the trend line needs some work. :-)

AsadZ 10 years ago

icthawkfan316: I don't believe that Jaybate started to write against the folks. Folks started to attack him and he was addressing attackers to his posts. I have never seen a post where jaybate would start a personal attack first.

tstanlick1909 10 years ago

Selby/Knight/Taylor/EJ. All combo guards capable of being the 1, or 2. Morningstar/Reed. Clear 2's. Releford/Little/Lamb. The important 3 spot. Marcus/T-Rob Withey/Kieff

Kye Clark 10 years ago

AsadZ - ah, so it's a "hey! he started it arguement!" you're employing. Talk about rudementary.

Kye Clark 10 years ago

jayhawk_game_fans - I agree. He has some decent basketball knowledge. Not as much as he thinks (again, he posts all of his opinions as facts), but better than most. And if he'd just stick to that he'd be fine. The problem is he plays to the masses. He must crave attention. We all like our posts to be read, our opinions to be validated, our views to be discussed. However, for some reason his basketball opinions weren't enough, so he writes these elaborate and ridiculously long posts in an attempt to win people over with humor and belittling, and that understandably puts some fans off. I generally don't read his posts anymore, but when I did he would have these outrageous fictional scenarios. Sometimes he'd be talking to Coach Self, one time he was visited by the ghost of James Naismith...talk about self-agrandizing! Like I said, in the end it's better to just ignore him. It's difficult, because our instincts tell us that if he attacks us or our points of view to launch a counter-arguement, but you're only playing into his "look-at-me" complex. It's also difficult because like I said, many of the posters on here clamor for the circus act he puts on, but it is what it is. At any rate, don't let one bully scare you off of the playground. Continue to post and do what it is we're all here to do...support our Jayhawks! RCJHGKU.

icthawkfan316,

AsadZ has got you again!

Perhaps you need to go down to the vocational school level and try debating folks there! :-)

You are just too easy.

Kye Clark 10 years ago

Well, Jaybate said it so it must be true. I fail to see where he "got me", but it's pretty obvious (especially given that lame response) that I've pegged you perfectly, and THAT is what is just too easy. You're sense of self-importance & narcissism, attention seeking behavior, that you think you're always right. I'm sure the four posters on this thread alone that think your clownish act is tired is just an anomaly. Surely we're the only four, there couldn't possibly be more out there that just keep quiet for fear of being buried under your usual mountain of drivel. If you're a Jayhawk fan, then there is more than enough regular basketball material to keep you occupied without these feeble attempts to belittle other posters (or rambling on about idiotic cocktails you've named after yourself). That's the reason we're all here, to discuss KU basketball. If that's not enough for you, try and get a job at the onion and express your creative attempts at humor there.

Regarding these attempts, while the "he started it first!" method of debating doesn't surprise me coming from another poster, I'm disappointed in the quality (or lack thereof) of your insulting posts today. The EE Cumming style poem? Some fictitous phone call about a mollusk? The sophmoric comment about a vocational school? You want to talk about assists? You're Aaron Miles today! I don't know whether to simply be happy you're off your game or insulted that any comments directed at me didn't warrant the standard 8 paragraphs of babbling. And while I said I generally ignore your posts, and generally I'm of the opinion that if you don't like it, don't read it. However, seeing so many people stand up and finally say "ENOUGH!" to the never-ending amount of trash you seem to have at your disposal was simply too much for me to continue sitting idly by.

Anyway, I'm hoping for an outstanding effort at Manhattan tomorrow, how 'bout you?

"The problem is he plays to the masses."--icthawkfan316

icthawkfan316, your assertion assumes you think the masses are idiots that can be condescended to and that you are not part of them. You sound soooooooooo 20th Century, maybe even 19th Century.

Here a big game is at hand and you are talking about playing to the masses, like some scoffing Robber Baron harrumphing about Wobblies. :-)

Now if you were to have said, "The problem is he plays to icthawkfan316," then perhaps I might be persuaded to buy into an assumption that you were an idiot.

No, even then, as I reflect on it, I would probably not be persuaded by you, icthawkfan316, that you were likely an idiot. Are you with me here?

I mean look at the IQ ranges for idiot.

IQ Range Classification 70-80 Borderline deficiency 50-69 Moron 20-49 Imbecile below 20 Idiot

I just wouldn't believe that you, icthawkfan316, would type as well as you do, if you were an idiot.

To be successful, you would have to try to persuade me that you, icthawkfan316, were Borderline Deficient, or maybe a Moron, but not an Idiot.

You tower over idiots. :-)

icthawkfan316,

Your posts about me leave me unable to treat you with anything but amusement.

Is that so bad? :-)

Kye Clark 10 years ago

jaybate - Wow, name calling and attempting to insult my intelligence. Like I said, I've got you pegged perfectly. And while I'm not sure why it was supposed to be an insult, but your claim is laugable that I "sound soooooooooo 20th Century, maybe even 19th Century" considering you wanted people to laugh (and be impressed) at the fact that you wrote a poem in the style of E E Cummings, a poet born in the 19th century. And I don't know who you are trying to impress with the "like some scoffing Robber Baron harrumphing about Wobblies", but who talks like that? In any century? At any rate, it was all a very clever attempt to try and misdirect people from the fact that you do in fact do this to stroke your own ego. Right now this psychological profile is becoming a little redundant, and I'm a little bored with it. I hope you can pry yourself away from thinking up snobbish ways to insult people on the message boards long enough to enjoy the game tonight.