Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Manning: Aldrich a true shot blocker

Kansas center Cole Aldrich defends Baylor guard LaceDarius Dunn's floater during the first half, Wednesday, Jan. 20, 2010 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Kansas University junior center Cole Aldrich, who blocked a season-high seven shots against Missouri on Monday night, now has something in common with his mentor, Danny Manning.

Both have 200 career blocks, good for fifth place on the Jayhawks’ all-time list.

“He better,” KU assistant coach Manning joked on Tuesday night’s weekly Hawk Talk radio show, asked by host Bob Davis if the 6-foot-11 Aldrich would pile up some more rejections this season.

“Cole is one of the true shot blockers in the country,” Manning added in a serious tone. “He goes up and tries to find the ball every time somebody shoots it in the paint. He alters a lot of shots he doesn’t get credit for (on stat sheet). He’s a very intimidating presence in the paint, which we saw last night.”

Aldrich is 19 blocks from passing Scot Pollard and moving into fourth on the all-time rejections list. Eric Chenowith is third (242), Nick Collison second (243) and Greg Ostertag No. 1 all-time (258).

Aldrich does have the most blocks in a game in KU history — 10 last season against Dayton. Ostertag (twice) and Rick Suttle each had eight blocks in a game, while Manning, Ostertag, Pollard, Chenowith, Collison and Paul Mokeski, as well as Aldrich have had seven blocks in a single contest.

The ever-consistent Aldrich has had six blocks in one game this season (Belmont), five blocks three times (Memphis, LaSalle, Cal), four blocks three times (Hofstra, Tennessee Tech, Tennessee) and three blocks 10 times.

“It’s the player I am. I’m going to continue trying to block shots,” Aldrich said. “I’m really trying to play hard. Over the last few games, I’m starting to get back in a groove of how I was playing last year. I’m having fun again (after bout of bronchitis and worrying about his grandmother, who recently died following a long illness) playing the game I love.”

Aldrich constantly gives credit for his progress to Manning. Former KU great Manning, who rarely speaks publicly, discussed his work with KU’s bigs while subbing for KU coach Bill Self on Hawk Talk.

“I spend most of our practice time on the court with those guys,” Manning said, “when we have big-little breakdown — the big guys on one end of the court working on things they need to do to be successful. They come by the office every day. They want to watch tape, go over scouting report issues. We spend a lot of time together, quite a few hours every day.

“I enjoy teaching and sharing,” Manning added, “sharing experiences you’ve gone through and letting them know, ‘this is what I did and it worked for me’ or ‘this is what I did and it didn’t work for me,’ and let them make their own decisions.”

KU outrebounded Missouri, 56-28, in Monday’s 84-65 victory over the Tigers in Allen Fieldhouse.

Aldrich grabbed 16 boards, while Markieff Morris had 11, Marcus Morris nine and Thomas Robinson two. Perimeter player Xavier Henry contributed seven rebounds.

“Those guys have been working hard in practice going after the basketball,” Manning said of KU’s bigs. “It’s something we must continue to do, especially against K-State (6 p.m. Saturday in Manhattan). They are one of the best rebounding teams in the country, not only the big guys, but the guards have to go in and help us out.”

Manning on the Hawk Talk show was asked a pair of questions about KU 7-foot freshman Jeff Withey, who figures to grab major minutes next season taking over for Aldrich, who is expected to turn pro.

“Jeff is in a similar position Cole was in his freshman year. Cole played against Darrell (Arthur), Darnell (Jackson) and Sasha (Kaun) every day in practice. He took his lumps, but continued to battle and get better. The Carolina game (Final Four semifinal) was his coming out party. He worked extremely hard all year and got a chance to show what he’d been doing at practice.

“Jeff is getting better day in and day out, going against Cole and the twins. We expect great things from Jeff down the road. Jeff came in and played great defensively, was very active on the boards — eight (points) and five (rebounds) in 12 minutes (in Saturday’s win at Iowa State). He had some great minutes for us and gave a great contribution (to that victory),” Manning noted.

Recruiting

Rivals.com reports that KU coach Self was in Menomonee Falls, Wis., Tuesday to visit J.P. Tokoto, a 6-5 small forward from Menomonee Falls High, the No. 4-rated player in the Class of 2012. Tokoto is considering KU, Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky, Iowa, Iowa State, Marquette, Minnesota, Tennessee, Wisconsin and many others.

Comments

David Leathers 9 years, 9 months ago

Cole's Mom: Cole, now honey, you need to be nice to those kids and let them shoot the ball every once in a while.

Cole: But mom, they don't call me Swat King Cole for nothing!

Michael Auchard 9 years, 9 months ago

Wow, I thought Swat King Cole was a nickname a friend of mine made up. So other people say it, too??? D:

Jeff Schartz 9 years, 9 months ago

OK.....so far the Velveeta runneth over. Not to mention the spam posts. Mom always said, "Nothing good happens after midnight". She was right.

FairgroveJayhawk 9 years, 9 months ago

I like photos such as this, when the action extends from the court to the faces of the fans. Many of them are just dying in anticipation.

DocBean 9 years, 9 months ago

Is anyone else as excited as I am that Kentucky lost last night to the South Carolina Gamecocks!!! hahahahahaha

However, it is tough being number 1; I'm hoping KU can handle it better, and is still there when the last buzzer sounds.

Ben Kane 9 years, 9 months ago

Doc,

I live in Lexington and I can say I'm Very excited they lost. couldn't care less about being number 1 though.

I work for a cabinet manufacturer here and we are shipping some cabinets to KState today. Somehow, I think a jayhawk sticker ended up in a couple of 'em...don't know how that happened though....

bradynsdad 9 years, 9 months ago

i think it is hilarious obama called to congratulate them on being number one and then they immediately lose. furthermore john wall was being very cocky about the number one ranking before the game. being number one is not as much fun as everyone thinks.

dynamitehawk 9 years, 9 months ago

Kentucky got beaten by a bunch of Cocks? I knew it. I freaking knew it!

KU 9 years, 9 months ago

Kentucky looked horrible last night. The only thing worse was South Carolina's idea of offense: "give the ball to Downey and let him shoot". The kid scored 30 but he jacked up about 30 shots. South Carolina's defense was pathetic, too. Anytime Kentucky wanted to drive in the lane, it was wide open but they couldn't seem to finish. If you didn't see the names on the jerseys when you were watching that game, you would have though it was a low level Conference USA game. Just an awful game. It hurt your eyes to watch it. But D. Cousins is a horse and he's getting better by the week.

milwaukeeJAYHAWK 9 years, 9 months ago

I didn't realize Chenowith was #3 on the blocked shots list? Interesting.

KU 9 years, 9 months ago

I really don't want KU to be rated #1. No matter how mature the kids are, I think it lulls them into playing for the wrong reasons. Instead of concentrating on getting better everyday, I think on some level the #1 team is playing not to get beat.

I think Syracuse is #1, personally. Their post players can bang with KU's. Their zone is a monster, not a sham like Baylor's. (Baylor resorted to the zone because their coach can't coach man defense and he doesn't like defense.) The kid that transferred from ISU to Syracuse is really good. If I recall, he torched KU his freshman year at ISU.

Mike Kendall 9 years, 9 months ago

Hey, Chuck--I was going to ask you, being in Lexington and all, how the Wildcats are taking their loss to the Cocks (good job, dynamitehawk--you got me saying it, now!). Guess you beat me to the punch! Those cabinets Chuck--slap as many Jayhawk stickers on those suckers as possible! Obama calling John C. and the team--PLEASE, SPARE ME! That's like Jesse (What's his name) complaining that Memphis got screwed by the refs after KU won in '08. Too much politics in the college game, unfortunately. Those Kentucky fans, sitting behind the Wildcat bench, during the South Carolina game--priceless! They had their heads buried in their hands after the buzzer. Hope we can back it up and explode on the Kitty Kats--as Ringo Star says, "It don't come easy!" In this case, it won't come easy Saturday! RCJHGOKU!

Mike Kendall 9 years, 9 months ago

I kind of agree with you, KU! Syracuse should be #1. Hey, that Downey kid really impressed me. I would love to see Sherron go against him, one on one. He is like a bowling ball, just like Sherron. Cousins, from Kentucky, he is a monster. He will be a monster pro someday in the NBA. I was impressed with some of Kentucky's other Freshman but they made some Freshman mistakes toward the end, when it was "crunch time." When Obama said he would love to see them in the Championship Game, I was thinking that John C. and Bill Self, baby! Let's tangle one more time!

Mike Kendall 9 years, 9 months ago

Hawktacular---

ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha---------NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beak 9 years, 9 months ago

hawktacular, that is awesome. thank you.

youowethehawks 9 years, 9 months ago

A good week for avian-influenced teams, a bad week for feline-oriented teams. So far, it's really a push for kitties of all stripes with KState winning and Kentucky losing. We have the ability to tip the balance on Saturday.

Squawks 2, Meows 0.

BCRavenJHawkfan 9 years, 9 months ago

Here kitty kitty, here kitty kitty.

What nice motivation there is now. KSU winning last night and Kentucky going down.

Where is that KY Cats fella? Man, it's hard to believe Kentucky couldn't find five guys to put on the floor to stop the one-man-team of Downey. John Wall was schooled.

BCRavenJHawkfan 9 years, 9 months ago

Hawktacular : There were Kentucky fans wearing those shirts last night at that game.

What does that say about a school and fan base that they have to celebrate a mid season # 1 ranking with a $15.00 Tee shirt? Thank goodness KU celebrates things that are credible such as conference titles, national championships, etc.

Sally Presson 9 years, 9 months ago

Last night's game is another reason to be thankful we have X instead of Wall. X is a team player not a "Me" player. We don't need to be ranked #1 to know we're #1. I'd hate to see us give Kstate yet another reason to be big headed. Good grief, you would have thought they were national champs after the Texas game. Let's put them in their place Saturday!! Go Get 'Um Hawks!!!

Rock Chalk

duanep5ku 9 years, 9 months ago

Doc Yes and No" to the question about UK' loss. I love the fact UK did lose the game last night too but I agree with KU about the number 1 thing. I really would prefer having Kansas not to be number 1 right now and Unfortunately if we can beat KSU Saturday. Kansas will be back at number 1 again with a bulls eye on their back again. Dynamitehawk" funny post as usual and thank you for the laugh. I liked your joke. Oh" Hawktacular I had herd about the shirts but you're link to them was priceless thank you can anyone say penny sale on eBay and the funny part even UK fans would not buy them. I almost feel sorry for the idiots who paid for them at full price because they could not even wear them to one game yet. Not

Sally Presson 9 years, 9 months ago

Last night's game is another reason to be thankful we have X instead of Wall. X is a team player not a "Me" player. We don't need to be ranked #1 to know we're #1. I'd hate to see us give KState yet another reason to be big headed. Good grief, you would have thought they were National Champs after the Texas game. Let's put them in their place Saturday!! Go Get 'Um Hawks!!!

Rock Chalk

Joe Baker 9 years, 9 months ago

I don't care what we're ranked, never have been. It's always nice but teams get crazy when they get that #1 spot. They don't play like their ranking.

I thought it was funny what the uk coach (refuse to mention name) when he said, "...it's not a privilege, it's a 'badge of honor.'" -LOL

The fans were begging for the #1 spot. Now they say, "well the rankings don't matter, all that matters is March." I think KU fans have been telling them all long. All they do is crap on your comments. They don't listen to reason. It's useless to discuss b-ball with a uk fan.

Also, have you noticed how the uk fans are beginning to believe the 'rumors' about their coach. They're changinig their tune a bit. They still won't admit any issues but they beginning to mention/accept the possibility he is tainted. They may be seeing and smelling some smoke about their coach. I'm really beginning to see the train and it's on a nasty collision course at uk, with their coach at the controls.

Rock Chalk KU! Beat the kitty kats

Ben Kane 9 years, 9 months ago

truehawk,

living here I haven't noticed any change about their attititude towards their coach. They are still extremely defensive about him.

It would seem that their loss has really smacked their ego hard (and it was giant, believe me). their fans definitely seem more humble today. I only wanted them to lose so bad because of their attitude. Really, what Kentucky does during the season has Zero affect on us. Unless we meet them in the tourney, who really cares?

Joe Baker 9 years, 9 months ago

Beautiful...the student is now the swat master:

Manning followed that floater by swatting away Byron Scott's layup, sealing the victory and lifting Atlanta's record to 41-16, the best in the Eastern Conference. His line: 17 points, 12 rebounds, 6 steals and 3 blocks. "I really liked that last block," Manning said with a smile after the game. "I don't get up that high too often."

Precious Memories...

If you're a big and want NBA development, the master is taking names for recruitment. Line 'em up Danny Boy and Sign 'em up...

Rock Chalk Jayhawk Baby!

chanutejayhawk 9 years, 9 months ago

Cole's going to have a monster game against the kitties. I predict a triple-double!

kerbyd 9 years, 9 months ago

The Gamecocks mascot: Cocky.....priceless

Tony Bandle 9 years, 9 months ago

That Kentucky #1 t-shirt ranks right up there with K-State selling videos of the victory over Texas, then losing the very next game...at home!!.....pathetic.

The only videos I have seen or bought from Kansas University are National Championship games, Final Four games and the 100 year history video. Class all the way.

Actually, I like being number one and facing the extra pressure of getting everybody's best shot. There is no better way to prepare for the Tourney!!

ESPN Sportscenter whole heartedly pushed that Kansas should be the Number One seed with the best balance of outstanding guard play, ferocious front line play and the best in-game coach this side of Tom Izzo!!

I always liked those guys!!

nurserita 9 years, 9 months ago

Way to go Cole--nice to have you back! Your Grandma would be so proud of you!Rock Chalk

scrofula 9 years, 9 months ago

I am amazed how well Danny Manning has improved the play of the big guys over the last several years. Setting aside his playing years, he has been a huge asset to the school from a coaching aspect as well. Any thoughts that he would depart for a possible head coaching position?

mdfraz 9 years, 9 months ago

Raven I agree wholeheartedly with your comments about UK printing up tshirts like that. Who gives two sh*ts if you are #1 in January? ESPECIALLY if you are supposed to be a basketball blueblood. How embarrassing. And then to lose within the week to a barely .500 team is just poetic justice.

KU1976 9 years, 9 months ago

Kye Clark 9 years, 9 months ago

bradynsdad - just to clarify, while President Obama may have congratulated UK on being ranked #1, the purpose of the call was to thank them for their efforts in raising money for Haiti.

tahawk81 - that is hilarious. I live in Wichita and it reminds me of a couple of years ago when for a week or two the Wichita State Shockers were ranked like #7 in the polls, ahead of KU, and they printed up T-shirts with the poll on the back highlighting both WSU & KU's spot in the polls. It was the year after WSU went to the sweet 16, and the Shockers got off to a hot start. The funny thing is they flamed out and didn't even make the dance that year. Loved it!

Larry Smith 9 years, 9 months ago

Beak and Milwaukee.......For some reason, Chenowith gets a lot of grief, so people just assume that he was terrible. I always liked him and defended him because he did the dirty work down low. His scoring production went down his Jr and Sr years because he was playing alongside 3 lottery picks.

When he finished his career at KU.. He was #2 all time in blocks, He was #4 all time in rebounds He was #22 all time in points scored.

Those are a hell of a lot better numbers than most that have come through here. But if you asked some of the posters and fans around here, you would have thought he was the worst player ever. Those first two stats are generally considered "want to" stats, so don't give me this crap about him being soft.

kerbyd 9 years, 9 months ago

I read on rivals.com, a comment from a very good intramural player about why he never tried out for the team. "It annoys me that whenever a walk-on gets into the game all the fans point at them and laugh and act like it's some kind of miracle when they score a bucket. Don't they realize that those walk-ons would absolutely embarrass and stomp every single person in that arena in game of one-on-one? Don't they know how good you have to be to make the team? That's why I don't play. I hate to get laughed at like that."

I hope we never treat our walk-ons (or any player) like that. This program has more class than that.

Kye Clark 9 years, 9 months ago

Regarding Coach Manning, it was brought up in the Missouri game that one day he would be a head coach. Selfishly, I want him to stay and continue to groom our bigs for as long as he wants to coach, however I would be happy to see him get his own gig. If he is going to do this though he has to branch out and be more of a big man specialist. Also, I don't know what role he plays in recruiting, other than when Coach Self or Coach Dooley mentions having a him on the staff.

PittsburghJayhawk 9 years, 9 months ago

If Swat King Cole maintains the pace he has set in the first half of the season, he will be at the top of every blocked shot category in school history, and by a good margin. These numbers assume 40 games played this season (i.e. we at least make it to the championship game):

Record........................Cole....................Current recordholder Blocks, single game......10 (3/22/09)..........Aldrich - 10 (3/22/09) Blocks, season.............144 (2010)............Ostertag - 97 (1994) BPG, season.................3.6 (2010)............Ostertag - 2.9 (1995) Blocks, career...............272 (2008-2010)....Ostertag - 258 (1992-1995) BPG, career..................2.37 (2008-2010)...Ostertag - 2.03 (1992-1995)

It would be nice to see how he would stack up against Wilt, Clyde, and some of the other all-time greats who played before blocks were an official stat.

waywardJay 9 years, 9 months ago

Jayhawk86....

In fairness, he was 7 feet tall and he played 4 full years at Kansas.... when you roam the post of blue blood basketball powerhouse, you should have good numbers for a career.

My beef with Chenowith is that he was SOFT, SOFT,& SOFT. While you will no doubt recite his laundry list of accomplishment, his blocks and a his rebounding prowess. I will tell you it should have been more, better, and higher.

Not everyone is Down on Chenowith. I appreciate the time he spent here at Kansas, however he will always be one of those who never lived up to full potential.

Ron Franklin 9 years, 9 months ago

ku1976

thanks for the good laugh. that was too perfect!

Tony Bandle 9 years, 9 months ago

waywardJay...well put....you can thank Dave Matthews and Mary Jane for that!!!

Larry Smith 9 years, 9 months ago

Wayward....

And in fairness, he played his last 2 years with 3 guys whose jerseys now hang in the rafters of the Fieldhouse. I appreciate the effort he put out on defense, and rebounding the ball. There is only one ball, and only so many points available on the offensive end. He did everything that his coach needed him to do. The year before, when Roy needed him to be a scorer, he led the team in scoring. It is obvious that there were more options the next couple of years, and that affected his average.

And again, you do not get the number of blocks and rebounds that he got by being soft.

Larry Smith 9 years, 9 months ago

Oh, and did I mention that during his fresman year he also played with 2 guys who have their Jerseys hanging. I sometimes think that just because he did not turn into a lottery pick like 5 of the guys he played with, people were disappointed.

Joe Baker 9 years, 9 months ago

KU1976 (anonymous) says... type this into google.com how many consecutive home basketball games has MU won? You'll love it!

If you haven't done this please do. It's great!

Thanks 1976-

Rock Chalk KU

kshaw04 9 years, 9 months ago

KU1976

That is a fantastic search result! Thanks for sharing. Got a good laugh.

Craig Lang 9 years, 9 months ago

Too many people here are putting the cart before the horse. Yes, Kentucky lost, and KU seems the most likely to take back the reins of that top spot BUT the Jayhawks will first have to pass what I think will be their toughest test of the season ... playing at K-State. Watching the Texas game last week has me very nervous about this game. If KU pulls it off, I think it will be hard for anyone to argue about who should be No. 1.

KUbsee69 9 years, 9 months ago

The Google thing also works with "How many national championships has MU won". Saw that one a year or two ago.

Mike Kendall 9 years, 9 months ago

Looks like Tennessee suffered another loss tonight VS Vandy. The Vols looked terrible tonight. IMO, Tennessee hasn't improved at all with their win against the Jayhawks. However, the Jayhawks have improved since losing to Tennessee.

Mike Kendall 9 years, 9 months ago

Jayhawkinnebr--

Going into Manhattan this Saturday, Jayhawks will still be #2, not #1. Next Monday, the new rankings will come out. Should we win against the Kitty Kats, then we could bounce back up to #1. Should we lose Saturday, I believe Syracuse or Villanova will be the new #1.

Mike Kendall 9 years, 9 months ago

Texas is at home tonight with Texas Tech. The Longhorns are struggling, down by one, with 5:14 to go. I think we'll have a good game at Texas, on Feb. 8th. Anybody have any thought about it? I know our main worry is the game on Saturday.

Mike Kendall 9 years, 9 months ago

drgnslayr--State of the Union? What the heck was that? I guess I'm not too informed outside of sports. OU is killing Iowa State. O-State won at home against A&M.

Could be tough travel weather for the Jayhawks--snowstorm moving into Kansas on Friday--probably should be okay by Saturday.

South Carolina was fined $25,000 for the fans rushing onto the floor after taking down #1. I wish they would do that to the home teams that win against the Jayhawks, in the Big 12. Kitty Kat fans are not going to rush the floor this Saturday, right?

championhawks 9 years, 9 months ago

No matter what ranking it would give the Jayhawks, I would NEVER wish for a loss against the kitty cats. Period.

100 9 years, 9 months ago

Hold your orders!!!!

I just noticed the UK #1 shirts are not available until Jan. 27th!!!!!

Dan Pawlowski 9 years, 9 months ago

I met Chenowith before the UCLA game and he is a nice guy, class act. In a bar full of a couple hundred Jayhawk fans and he poses with everyone who asked for a picture, I assume he did the same for autographs. The people who had a beef with him are usually jealous folks watching life from the sideline.

Robert Murphy 9 years, 9 months ago

Eric Chenowith was a player who never seemed to live up to expectations. His pro career didn't last long. Looking at his numbers is a surprise. Hope he has found something meaningful to do in life but he was sadly rediculed when he played at Kansas in spite of giving great effort and working hard.