Originally published January 22, 2010 at 12:29p.m., updated January 23, 2010 at 12:00a.m.

Taylor’s Facebook account deleted

Kansas head coach Bill Self grabs the attention of his players during the second half against UCLA, Sunday, Dec. 6, 2009 at Pauley Pavilion. Self is about to embark on the recruitment trail for most of the month of July.

— Tyshawn Taylor’s days of posting controversial messages on Facebook appear to be over.

“You will never ask me another question about that,” Kansas University coach Bill Self said Friday during a pre-Iowa State media session in Allen Fieldhouse.

“It won’t be a problem from this point forward. Ever,” he added, strongly implying he has told Taylor to cease and desist all social-media postings with severe consequences if the sophomore guard disobeys orders.

Self said he had talked to Taylor about rumors that the player indicated on Facebook he was considering leaving KU. This is the same Taylor who posted comments after the basketball team’s fight with the football team early first semester.

“I don’t think that that’s even remotely true,” Self said of Taylor Facebooking about a possible transfer. “But, if he has said that, which I do not think to be the case, then that’s the reason why he’s not playing well. Because his head’s not right. But I don’t believe he said that.

“What I think has happened is, he’s probably frustrated, probably said some things because of his frustration. Because of his popularity and things like this, everybody can take anything that any one of my players say and spin it in a direction that it wants to be (spun).

“I’m not remotely concerned about that. If any of our players are thinking about that (transferring), trust me, I will be the first to help them find a place when the season is over.”

This current flap began when a fan posted on the Internet that Taylor’s Facebook had comments about his frustration with his current situation at KU.

“Some of the things posted on Facebook ... I heard yesterday somebody reported on Facebook, but didn’t even know the exact deal, what they were reporting,” Self said. “I’m not going to even comment on that, because I’ve talked to him about that. That’s a non-factor.”

Regarding Taylor’s role, Self said: “I think he’s been in a funk. I think he’s a good player that hasn’t played as good as he’s capable of playing. He’d be the first to agree with that.

“I thought against Baylor, he played well defensively and gave us some good minutes against LaceDarius (Dunn). He’s had a little bit of a sophomore funk, so to speak. You know what? I told Tyshawn, what people sometimes don’t realize, we’ve played 50 percent of our games, but 95 percent of our season remains, because nobody cares what you do in November and December. So we’ve still got 90, 95 percent of our season left, so he has a chance to impact that last half, that last part that everybody cares about in a big way. His head’s got to be right. I think he’s on the verge of having that come through.”

Taylor was at Friday’s practice but was not available for comment.

Junior Cole Aldrich said players have been told to watch what they write on Facebook and Twitter.

“I wouldn’t say (we’ve been) barred. We are just kind of under a microscope from all coaches and the guys on the team to make sure what it says (isn’t inappropriate),” Aldrich said.

“It goes for anybody, not just us but any athlete. In this day and age, the Internet is so popular.”

Aldrich said some players have found other ways to voice their opinions on matters.

“Some guys I know have written small journals they just keep to themselves after practice,” Aldrich said. “To reflect on practice. I think our guys have matured over the past weeks and months on the court and off the court. I don’t think it’s a problem.”

This, that

Aldrich said he had several relatives planning to drive from Bloomington, Minn., to Ames for today’s 1 p.m game against Iowa State. His late grandmother Ann’s memorial service was Friday in Northfield, Minn. ... Sherron Collins attended the memorial service of his great grandfather, Robert, Thursday in Chicago and made it back for Friday afternoon’s practice. ... Iowa State lost a key player this week when Lucca Staiger (9.4 ppg, 48-of-113 from three) decided to return to Germany to play pro ball. ... Senior Marquis Gilstrap averages 14.9 ppg. ... KU will play Missouri on Monday in Allen Fieldhouse and K-State Saturday in Manhattan. “We’re concentrating on Iowa State. We know they have a great team and are always tough to play, especially there,” Aldrich said. “We have some tough ones with big rivals coming up, but we’re trying to focus on Iowa State.”

• A previous version of this story was updated.

Comments

Hawktacular 10 years, 1 month ago

We need Taylor to buy in and quit being a distraction. There is simply no excuse for a player with his skill set and ability to sit the first 17 minutes of an important conference game in mid-January. I thought this would die after his comments to the media last week, but it obviously hasn't. Get it together, Tyshawn.

bayareajhawk 10 years, 1 month ago

I've been critical of Tyshawn, but he is really just a 19 year old kid. I'm glad the nation wasn't interested in what I was doing at 19. Also, the biggest reason most of us are critical of Tyshawn is because we know he can do better. I've been hard on the guy since the incident with the football team, but I'm going to try and support him from this point forward. I guess I can live with the stupid turnovers if he just starts playing tough defense for the entire possession every time.

kansasbasketball 10 years, 1 month ago

queen_krenda....you go to www.facebook.com But i was friends with tyshawn and it is no longer there btw

dynamitehawk 10 years, 1 month ago

Yes, what is this 'social media postings' you speak of?

dynamitehawk 10 years, 1 month ago

Does it have anything to do with the Information Super-highway?

kennethst 10 years, 1 month ago

Somebody said Taylor needs KU much more than KU needs Taylor.

I think that is so true. I actually could not care less if he leaves.Good riddance.

This guy is a troublemaker that can ruin team chemistry.

Besides.....we have EJ and many others that could easily take his place.

Tyalor....don't let the door hit you and your way out.

Rob Keeney 10 years, 1 month ago

No, this is the "crap-net" that SHBR used to talk about.

yellowjayhawk 10 years, 1 month ago

Does anyone know if there are regulations put in place for student athletes and what they do online? It seems that the university is concerned with every other aspect of what they do, so it seems strange that there are not regulations put in place. When you put yourself in the position of being a public figure (which I would think most of us would agree that they are indeed public figures) you give up some of the traditional rights and privileges of a private person, at least until you step down from your public position.

Perhaps they should not have facebook pages period.

Queen_Krenda 10 years, 1 month ago

I just signed up for facebook and can't find Tyshawn anywhere. AAAAAAAARGHH.

PAHAWK1 10 years, 1 month ago

I like the way coach said...... He's a creator for others, a creator for himself as a secondary player. I am assuming that HCBS is talking about creating for the bigs (4s and 5s) first. Guess what, he did not create for others in the Tenn game. It started off with the Cornell game.

For the important games on KU's schedule (e.g. Temple, Cal, Mich, UCLA, Memphis, and Big 12 games), Cole and the Twins (5 and 4s) have shot on an average 21 times, where as SC, TT, and X (1, 2, and 3) have shot average of 27 FGs. That is at the ratio of approximately 3:4. There is no mystery to KU's winning formula - at the offensive end, get the ball inside (first).

In the game against Tenn, Cole and the Twins shot only 12 FGs where as SC, TT, and X attempted 38 FGs. TT, himself shot 11 FGs in that game. Which could have prompted Coach to say that the team played selfishly and are unaware of their identity. And subsequntly, TT responded back saying that he is not clear of his role. One can argue that KU's bigs did not make themselves available in that game but the flip side is that the guards did not create for the bigs. KU's bigs (Cole and the Twins) pulled down a total of 26 rebs in that game. They were active inside. They have averaged approximately 20 rebs in other games. TT did not make a conscious effort to get the ball inside in the Tenn game.

It is not a coincidence that BM started the last game and 2nd half of the TTech game. Check out Coach's comments from December regarding BM crisp passes and better offensive rythm overall.

jayhawkinATL 10 years, 1 month ago

Let him walk!!! I'd much rather have Morningstar start!!!

rawkhawk 10 years, 1 month ago

Good comments from Coach Self. kennethst, let's not be too quick to cast a final judgment against TT. He's young and will figure things out. I think he's an important part of the squad. I appreciate Self's ability to clarify situations and to support these athletes. RCJH

jayhawkinATL 10 years, 1 month ago

We're plenty enough deep at the G spot to absorb the loss of TT. Could do without the distractions!!!

yellowjayhawk 10 years, 1 month ago

zturner29-

Agreed. We all know who "Self" is. No need for all the use of the caps locks key.

Brett Arnberger 10 years, 1 month ago

Taylor is a talented player, but his inconsistency and attitude are not worth it. We have much better chemistry with Brady or Reed in there. Loved seeing Brady starting the other night. Puts him at his original 2-spot. Good defender, smart w/ the ball, makes the extra pass, can feed the post, and is a threat to hit the outside shot. Not to mention, doesn't have this blown up ego getting in the way! If he wants to transfer...let him...just sit his rear on the bench for the rest of the season and watch the "team" win a championship!

4jhawks4ku 10 years, 1 month ago

Dont waste any more playing time on TT. He plays lazy, plays selfish. He's not buyin into the system. Give Elijah the start and get him ready for the last two months of the season. We'll need him cuzz he and Sheron have the only moves to the basket. Xavier is improving both on defense and taking it to the hole, but needs to learn to finish. Sub in Brady for Elijah when we need a lockdown. Play the guys that are buying in. Cole needs to get his fire lit (like Marcus) and man up. This happens we'll be lookin fine....

Alec White 10 years, 1 month ago

I don't know about that kennethst, I think when Taylor plays well we hit another gear that isn't possible without him. After we win it all this year, I think Self will give Taylor the keys to the offense and it will be his team for the next two years. No one, especially Self, takes this much nonsense from a kid if he doesn't realize... A. He's a good kid who's made some unfortunate decisions B. He has a chance to be special C. Self hates giving up on players, especially ones that he likes (which is obviously TT)

Kettlesworth 10 years, 1 month ago

Why doesn't Bill just get his Facebook to control all the players' Facebooks? He's the coach.

4jhawks4ku 10 years, 1 month ago

Why do that? I dont hear of Cole complainin on facebook, I dont hear of Sheron complainin on facebook. I dont hear of Marcus complainin on facebook. Or Elijah, or Travis or Mario Little. Theres only one......

BCRavenJHawkfan 10 years, 1 month ago

Trouble in River City?

Probably not.

At least we now know what Taylor's role is; "I thought he played well defensively and gave us some good minutes (defensively) against LaceDarius (Dunn). That's got to be his role for us first. He's a creator for others, a creator for himself as a secondary player. He's got to be a lockdown defender for us." (Bill Self's words)

It seems very clear. I now know what his role is, or put another way, what coach Self expects his role to be. And if the coach expects that, the other players expect that as well.

So maybe it's not that Taylor doesn't understand his role but that he simply refuses to accept his role.

Queen_Krenda 10 years, 1 month ago

From the looks of this, I agree that facebook should be illegal in Lawrence.

KU 10 years, 1 month ago

When the kid is "right" in the head, we're a better team. Unfortunately, that hasn't been very frequent this year. He was a better team player the last 1/3 of last season than he is today.

The challenge is, now that X has returned to being a typical freshman (shooting about 35% over the last 9 games but playing better--though not good enough--defense but not getting enough rebounds for his size) we only seem to have 2 consistent scorers: Sherron and Marcus. Hopefully Marcus can keep it up. Cole will never be a big offensive threat, but he impacts the game in other ways that make him invaluable. Brady can get 6 or 8 points a night, but he's not going to fill it up against good competition. We all know his strengths. If Sherron and Marcus can get 15 apiece and X can get 10 and Cole can get enough put-backs and free throws to get 10 and Brady gets 7, that's 57 points out of your starters. We need some production off the bench.

Very troubling fact: our bench has not been contributing on the offensive end over the last 5 or 6 games. In fact, our bench has been outscored consistently over the past couple of weeks.

If we can only count on 70 points a night, we really need to tighten up the defense. That's why it's so important for Tyshawn to "get it". Self has said over and over he wants Tyshawn to be a defensive stopper first and foremost. We need somebody on the perimeter that is good enough to slow down the Lacedarius Dunns of the world. Until we have that, we're one 35 point explosion away from an upset against a good team.

But stopping the other teams best guard from scoring is only one side of the coin. We need Tyshawn.....or somebody.......to create havoc out top and get turnovers near the midcourt line so we can get easy buckets in transition. If we do that, we cover for our offensive deficiencies.

70 points should be enough to beat a good team, if you're sold out on defense.

We need more rebounding out of out 3 spot. We need to leave Cole in the lane to block and influence shots instead of hedging those high pick-and-rolls UNLESS he's gonna trap the ball-handler like Sasha used to do. We need Sherron to make a commitment to all-out effort on the defensive end to lead by example and get the energy up. We need Marcus to keep doing what he's doing: being aggressive and getting to the foul line and getting offensive boards.

Politihawk 10 years, 1 month ago

First time long time here. To the general fanbase, I would say ... let's not get too worked up about this. We know TT is emotional and that, at least for me, is in part why we love him. Aren't we glad a player's pissed they're getting less burn? Fired up to do better? We have to have a little faith in Bill Self, ignore the Kansas City-talk-radio-nitwits who consistently misreport or miscolor what's going on in Lawrence and concentrate on the fact that we do need TT. I think someone upthread said that we hit a higher gear when he's in step and, well, I can't think of an occasion this season (outside of, maybe, Temple?) when we hit a full-stride.

Objectively, this is just not a J.R. Giddens type of situation -- this is not an overly entitled kid (and let's give Giddens credit for maturing after he left here), this is an overly emotional kid. Facebook is not a good venue for someone who wears his heart as apparently on his shirt as TT does. So shut it down, let him vent in more constructive venues and channel that noise into his play and harder work to get back a bigger slice of the rotation.

The reality is, I don't think that will be very hard. Self really like Tyshawn. He's said it a number of times and if he didn't, I doubt very much he'd still be here. He is, physically, more gifted than BM or TR and if he can channel his skills, hunker down and get after it, he will be a key man in what should be a magical year.

beawolf 10 years, 1 month ago

"Does it have anything to do with the Information Super-highway?" Yes, and it's called the Internet and was invented by Al Gore. On Topic: When all is said and done TT will have to decide what's best for him. I'm pretty sure this is a non-issue and as HCBS said, "they talked about it". Personally I like Morningstar as a starter. His defensive intensity sets the tone. That said, TT has a tremendous upside and will be a high NBA draft pick if he plays through his senior season re. Collins.

NinjaJayhawk 10 years, 1 month ago

BCRaven, I have been saying the same thing since Tyshawn made the "I don't know my role" comment. There is no way that Tyshawn did not know what his role was. He was benched twice and after that played well until the Tennessee game. Self is a good coach and I am sure he has let the players know what there role is. I really believe he is just not happy with being the fifth scoring option on the floor. I hope he realizes that the team is more important than personal stats or else it could really affect team chemistry and KU's chance at a title. If he is patient his time will come where he can be "the guy," although it will be one or two years down the road. I really think he wants to get his numbers and jump to the NBA. Obviously this is less likely to happen as a defensive stopper and assist guy, thus why he is upset. Hope he figures it all out for his and the teams sake.

Mike Barnhart 10 years, 1 month ago

Tyshawn reminds me of former KU great and Turkish basketball star Jeff Graves. That guy was such a pain in the rear! One step forward and two steps back.

If I remember correctly, Coach Self had to tread lightly around the Graves issue because Graves was so popular with his teammates. Sounds familiar.

John Brown 10 years, 1 month ago

Taylor needs to shut-up and play. Stupidity doesn't get one far in life.

kujayhawk34 10 years, 1 month ago

Being from NJ, I've had the privalage in seeing great high school basketball. On the St. Anthony's team that went 39-0, won the Nat'l Championship, had 7 D-1 players on it (including Dominic Cheek, and Jio Fontan, a recent Fordham transfer that is enrolling at USC.) His role on that team was to play tough man to man defence, distribute, set up for others, and hit timely shots when the team needed it. He averaged 11 points per game that season. If he can play that kind of role for St. Anthony's, why can't he play that kind of role for KU? Is there really a difference in the two roles?

kujayhawk34 10 years, 1 month ago

Ninja - I had a convo with TT's cousin after the Temple game. He said Tyshawn wants to stick around another year. He also mentioned something about KU playing at Madison Square Garden next season. Not sure if that part is true, but that's what his cousin told me.

KU 10 years, 1 month ago

kujayhawk34............I was just wondering that, myself. The kid scored 10 ppg as a senior in high school as a "role player". I guess the boost in confidence he got winning a World Championship made him think he was going to be a Big Deal this year. He's still young. Let's hope this has a happy ending, a la Russell Robinson.

Mike Kendall 10 years, 1 month ago

Nice coaching by Self, but this is definitely a distraction for the team. Hope it gets worked out soon, or, Brady will continue to start and play more--bummer for TT!

kujayhawk34 10 years, 1 month ago

KU - At 19, he wins a World Championship, is a key player on a team that went to the sweet 16, and is expected to have a bigger role then his freshman season on a team that was a few votes shy of being the second team in the history of college ball to be unanimously ranked pre season number 1. How can that not get to his head? TT is the most unique sitation out of anyone on KU's roster for that exact reason. So let's all just take a step back, let him vent, and then wreap the benefits as we watch him mature and we march our way to a title.

BCRavenJHawkfan 10 years, 1 month ago

jjjjjhok, I thought Graves was during the Williams regime. I didn't take time to Googly-Moogly it so you may be right.

kansasbasketball 10 years, 1 month ago

Queen_Krenda he deleted his facebook account. He was my friend and it says it is gone!!

Brett Arnberger 10 years, 1 month ago

Graves was Roy's last year and Bill's first year.

Politihawk - I think we've all sat here and waited for TT to mature and play to what he's capable of doing. I sat back and tried not to get worked up over his comments about not knowing his role after we were almost half way through the season. Idiotic move...talk to the coach about it. Now we have this occurring with facebook. I'm going to get worked up this time because we have a dozen other players that all know their role and accept it and play ball. None of them have gone to the media or a "media outlet" and spouted off about their frustrations. I'm sure EJ and CJ are frustrated about their PT too, but I've yet to hear a peep from them.

If he doesn't want excessive criticism from fans then he needs to find a new place to vent...like Bill's Office.

Larry Smith 10 years, 1 month ago

You know what the problem is in this day and age......everyone takes a rumor and assumes it to be the truth. No one knows what was posted, or even if there was anything posted. But everyone will assume it to be true because of the incident earlier this year. During that, it was established that there were comments that were posted, but here, there has been no confirmation.

"I don't think that that's even remotely true," Self said. "But, if he has said that, which I do not think to be the case, then that's the reason why he's not playing. Because his head's not right. But I don't believe he said that."

Coach Self is saying that he doesn't believe it to be true, so thats good enough for me.

I am sure that coach told him that to insure there would be no further misintepretations of his postings, just get rid of the account all together. The fact that people are willing to run the kid out based on rumors that even our head coach does not believe, baffles me.

ParisHawk 10 years, 1 month ago

Taylor is wearing that sleeve and is not shooting well. Against Baylor he was passing up open 3s and the one he did take he missed. Self then took him out so we would have decent shooters everywhere on the arc.

Not to make excuses, but that must add to the frustration. He would have more openings to penetrate if the defender had to respect his shot.

Of course as Self says the answer is to play defense. There are ten guys out there: one has the ball and five are on defense. The math is easy.

wchawk 10 years, 1 month ago

Any game close and this kid (Taylor) needs to be sitting. Growing up would certainly help him. If this is all true there is trouble ahead. Go HAWKS

cobweb 10 years, 1 month ago

Tyshawn - Your career and youth is so short and most guys would kill to be in your position. Don't waste it being a horse's ass like T.O. or Ochocinco. Everybody will forget you and you will hate yourself later on. You have a shot at the NBA if you don't self-destruct. Oh yeah, Facebook is for pussies. Everybody's mom is on it anymore.

Mark Bowers 10 years, 1 month ago

Tyshawn is 19. I'm sure he's frustrated and wants to do more, he just needs time and he'll figure it out. For those of you out there with all the harsh comments, he's still a kid in school that happens to have amazing talent, non of us were perfect at 19. If you were perfect at 19, well you probably never went out and never had a life that would cause you to do something you regret later. Hang in there Tyshawn, I know you'll pull thru and end up being an even more valuable player to Kansas. ROCK CHALCK!

Mark Bowers 10 years, 1 month ago

jayhawks86 I'm with you. Do you think these harsh adults judge and hold themselves to the same standards as a kid that happens to play for a team they love? Take it easy people, lets concentrate on a win tomorrow at ISU where the competition is always great. Tyshawn don't sweat the haters and stay positive, you'll be fine.

lawrence_is_my_middle_name 10 years, 1 month ago

Geeze Gary Bedore, ever heard of paraphrasing a quote? First of all HCBS sounds like a repetitive moron, and you throw in way too many parenthesis and ellipses. Terrible writing here, just awful!

KEITHMILES05 10 years, 1 month ago

This is something TT is going to have to accept or he won't be playing much at all.

Does anybody else find this to be something of an issue?

Ben Kane 10 years, 1 month ago

didn't RussRob go through this same thing?

Robert Brock 10 years, 1 month ago

Taylor is not in a "funk." He just makes a lot of poor decisions. Fortunately, they are not major problems - he just needs to gather himself a bit and make better decisions.

nwhawk 10 years, 1 month ago

"The very, very one telling thing Self said in his comments is this: Taylor is a "secondary player." Folks, Taylor has felt he is a "primary" player. Self says no; Taylor says yes.

Does anybody else find this to be something of an issue?"

I'm not sure that's exactly what Self meant. If you look at the whole quote, I think he meant that Tyshawn's primary role is to defend, and his secondary role is to assist and score. Not that he's a second class player.

jdenton12 10 years, 1 month ago

Jayhawk86

At this point it's another distraction by a kid who has already been in the negative spotlight. The fight episode, the comment a couple of weeks ago and now this. Whether it's true or not with what he said, there was an issue somewhere with what he typed because Bill made him shut it down. The kid is a trouble maker and Jamie Dixon said to Doug Gottleib that there is no way he would want that kid on his team after the 18 and Under games. He reminds me of J.R. Giddens, flashes of good things, ego larger than life and the unwillingness to play his role.

So many people have said to let him go...we know that won't happen. I think this team would be far more successfull if that happened. One less guy for 4 more guys who will give it their all for this team.

Besides Taylor, when a shot goes up, the bigs and X need to find a man, block him out and rip down rebounds. Rebounding margins shouldn't be as close as they've been.

docileboy 10 years, 1 month ago

About the time you think Taylor has his mind right, he does something else stupid. I hope he gets it together because when he does he will be a lot of fun to watch. I hope he is still wearing a KU uniform at that point.

Godisajayhawk 10 years, 1 month ago

Aaaand of course, this has become a national headline. Front page of MSN.com. Solid

Infidels_I_keel_u 10 years, 1 month ago

Tyshawn and X have been looking a bit gun-shy lately. It seems like thier confidence is down. X reminds me of Brandon Rush when he was holding back. We've all seen them do some amazing things, but not in the last few games. Both of them have speed and slasher capabilties. I think it is a good thing they are playing the Cyclones tomorrow. Look for them to have some fun... at Iowa States expense.

Mark Wooden 10 years, 1 month ago

Big time programs M.O.

Freshman-play a little Sophomore-back up the star Junior--replace star and start Senior-The star/leader Seniors and Juniors lead while Freshman/Soph follow.

actorman 10 years, 1 month ago

Wow, are you guys judgmental! I would bet most of you guys who are criticizing Tyshawn are the same people who said that DA was taking too long to decide and it would be better if he didn't come here, the same people who criticized Brandon for being a prima donna, the same people who said they didn't care if the Henrys ever came, the same people who said KU wouldn't even make the NIT when they started 3-3 (and oh, by the way, ended up making the Final Four), etc., etc. It's really pathetic how quickly you "loyal Jayhawk fans" will turn on someone based on some (mostly minor) incidents and rumors. I would think that at this point we would all trust Self enough to know that he'll do whatever is best for the program. It's not like he hasn't had his share of people transfer before, so I'll trust his judgment over everyone on here put together.

""Does it have anything to do with the Information Super-highway?" "Yes, and it's called the Internet and was invented by Al Gore."

I give you Exhibit A for proof that there are plenty of idiots who will believe anything without ever bothering to check on something like ... oh, I don't know ... FACTS! Al Gore never actually SAID that, but it didn't stop the usual Right-Wing propagandists, who are paid to disseminate misinformation on behalf of rich corporations, from spreading that crap.

"You know what the problem is in this day and age......everyone takes a rumor and assumes it to be the truth."

You said it, Jayhawk86. It's nice to know there are still a few people who won't judge someone within the first 10 seconds of hearing a rumor.

"didn't RussRob go through this same thing?"

You're right, chuckberry. The only difference is that he wasn't as public about it. I'm sure if people had known about his feelings at the end of his freshman year, they would have wanted to run him out of town on a rail too.

I imagine most of us know the definition of insanity: "Doing the same thing and expecting a different result." Yet the majority of people on here always react the same way when the slightest sign of a problem comes along: "Get rid of the bum!" "Fire him!" "Good riddance!" (That is, of course, unless the guy is actually an abusive a***ole and SHOULD be fired like Mangino, in which case the majority wanted him to stay -- can you say brainwashed by authority figures?).

waywardJay 10 years, 1 month ago

facebook can be an incredibly useful tool ..... case in point.... Dane Robinson sending his letter of recommendation to our returning seniors.... If tyshawn thought this year would be the year he was going to become an all world player.... he obviously did not study Sherron's sophomore season....

Case in point..... SHERRON DID NOT START HIS SOPHOMORE SEASON...... but everyone in the media ( ESPN ) is convinced he did because he was an impact player....

SOme games tyshawn will be a wallflower.... some games tyshawn will be a gamebreaker.... he's just gotta let the game come to him and take advantage when the time comes.....

Again EXCELLENT coaching by Self.....

cklarock 10 years, 1 month ago

Tyshawn is a fantastic talent, and I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt.

No one has demonstrated proof of what he allegedly said on his Facebook page, and his recent "don't know my role" comment was a poorly-phrased attempt to explain his poor assist ratio contributing to a disappointing loss. It was never a case of Tyshawn claiming he didn't know what he was supposed to be doing on the court, despite the fact that most of the fans took it that way.

Tyshawn is ok, and on his night, can go for 4-7 assists to 0 turnovers, a ratio that will win games for us when it counts. He has the ability to speed the transition game up beyond the capabilities of defenses to cover, an ability that we will need in February and March . . . when trophies are won.

Tyshawn, you're alright by me, and I'm willing to bet you have your stuff together more than I did at 19. Play on, player.

wrwlumpy 10 years, 1 month ago

I think Jeff Graves was from the Turkish part of Kansas City and had a Double/Double in the national championship game.

Tyshawn is needed. Tyshawn will be the point gaurd for two more years at KU. He will start today.

FairgroveJayhawk 10 years, 1 month ago

The response by some fans on the board cracks me up when something that can be perceived as negative. It reminds me of a old movie where someone is called a witch and the town gathers to burn them at the stake. Thank god someone didn't claim TT posted he was a witch. Burn him... but wait, give me those shoes!!!

Self's response to shut down facebook could as easily be argued the following. There are too many fans from other teams surfing our media looking for a way to disrupt our team.

"witch" ever the case may be, Self will has eliminated the distraction appropriately.

yates33333 10 years, 1 month ago

wrwlumpy (anonymous) says...

Tyshawn is needed. Tyshawn will be the point gaurd for two more years at KU.

This is correct, and TT's critics ought to tone it down. I sometimes wonder if MU or K-State fans aren't posting here.

TT can compete with the K-State guards, perhaps the best pair in the Big 12. Of course, Collins is as good by himself.

Christopher Johnson 10 years, 1 month ago

Glad to see some fans still supporting TT. Sure, his head isn't in the right place, but he'll turn it around. He's got the talent to be a leader. After the early pro entries we'll have this year and next, he'll be highly valuable his junior and senior season, if not this year if he accepts his role.

Mike Kendall 10 years, 1 month ago

Hopefully, TT will learn from this. But Coach Self said severe consequence will occur if it happens again. Kind of like the Psycho Martin situation with his player during the timeout: "Don't do it again!"

dynamitehawk 10 years, 1 month ago

Tyshawn will be just fine. He needs people like Bill Self in his life. I am thankful he is our coach - imagine of Cal was hired instead.... In fact I like HCBS so much that I just tried to contort my left hand just like him in the picture, above which is really hard (the pinky part is tricky). My point is that he can do stuff like that while coaching the best team in the land which is remarkable. I can even do it on a Saturday morning with a cup of coffee.

Chad Hallack 10 years, 1 month ago

I think Taylor has an important role on this team. Emphasis on the "role". Play D, take care of the ball, that's all you have to do. The taking care of the ball part has been a struggle. Mental toughness will come with more experience and acceptance of what he is and that is a role player on this team.

Look at Brady, he plays D, takes good care of the ball for the most part and hits a high percentage of shots when they come to him. He doesn't force things. He knows his role and looks to make other "non-boxscore" plays to help the team. TT does not do that and will continue to struggle until he does, which will require a change in mindset on his part.

I like Brady in the starting lineup for the time being. A handful of tangible is worth a truckload of potential...

If the ball handling skills and decision making ability don't drastically improve, there's no way Self "hands him the keys to the offense next season" E.J. will move into the point guard slot and T.T. will continue to be a role player... which will probably drive him over the edge.

It's all up to TT, I hope he gets it together... sooner rather than later. He has to decide what's more important to him. Getting his face out there, his name in the paper and in the boxscores or being an important part of a TEAM that has a real chance to win a title?

Clarence Haynes 10 years, 1 month ago

TT This is not the best way to be in the public eye!

Larry Smith 10 years, 1 month ago

I am glad LJW has changed the content and tone of the article. It was lazy and unresponsible journalism that started this whole thing.

Lets review..

A "fan" blogs somewhere that they saw "something" posted on TT's facebook acount.

LJW sees this and reports about it. Do they check for themselves, NO. Do they see any proof that this is true, NO. Do they ask TT about it before they set off the firestorm, NO. They blindside Coach Self about it, and considering it never happened and he has not heard about it, he has no comment. The LJW then goes ahead and reports completely unfounded and unsubstansiated rumors anyway, and Coach Self is forced to respond.

This could have been anyone, from any other fan base trying to stir up some crap, and the LJW fell for it hook, line and sinker.

Some fans "assume" the worst and start to flame on Tyshawn, claiming he is being a distraction, even though there is ZERO proof that this latest rumor is even remotely true.

Coach Self is pisssed that he even has to address these completely unfounded rumors, so he asks Tyshawn to remove his page.

AP quote "An annoyed Bill Self said Friday that reports of Tyshawn Taylor's saying on Facebook that he might want to transfer out of Kansas are untrue."

Coach Self quotes:

"I heard yesterday somebody was reporting on Facebook but didn't even know the exact deal what they were reporting," Self said. "I'm not going to even comment on that. That's a non-factor with me."

Asked if Taylor had indeed posted that he might want to transfer, Self said, "I don't think that's even remotely true.

"He's probably said some things but because of his frustration and because of his popularity and things like that. Anybody can take anything that one of our players say and spin it," Self said. "So I'm not remotely concerned about that.

Reports of Taylor's desire to leave, Self said, were not "even remotely true."

At least after the football incident, the info was verified. It is unbelievable to me that the LJW reports comepletely unfounded rumors just to sensationalize a headline and draw attention to itself and run down the reputation of a Jayhawk.

And the fact that so many fans are so quick to jump on this kid, with no facts to support it, really piss me off.

jhwkfan162515 (anonymous) says... Tyshawn Taylor is the second coming of CJ Giles. Send him home.

Really......Really???? This is what it has come to?

Coach Self is an honest guy and a straight shooter. If he says it is untrue, and that it never happened, then that is fine by me. Hang in there Tyshawn.

Hawktacular 10 years, 1 month ago

Sometime on Thursday January 21...

Self: Tyshawn, c'mon son...what are you thinking?

TT: Coach, everyone I come in contact with tells me my doodoo don't stink. Then, game time comes around and I'm not THE MAN.

Self: Well, Ty, if you would try to ignore some of the attention you get on campus and try to focus on what this basketball team needs from you, I think you'd find game time to be more enjoyable.

TT: But Coach, I am THE MAN.

Self: Tyshawn, there is something I need to tell you. It is something that someone has needed to tell you for some time. While you are a talented young man and equipped to do good things on the college basketball court, you are not so equipped to excel at the next level. I know talent son. I know what it takes at the next level and you just don't have it. That said, QUIT WASTING YOUR TIME AS THE MAN DURING THE ONLY TIME IN YOUR LIFE YOU WILL BE THE MAN AND TAKE ADVANTAGE OF PLAYING FOR THE MOST TRADITION RICH PROGRAM IN COLLEGE BASKETBALL AND GO DOWN AS HAVING PLAYED ON ONE OF THE TEAMS THAT BROUGHT HOME A CHAMPIONSHIP. I promise that such an accomplishment will bring you more of the attention you so enjoy for the rest of your life than any NBA career you are capable of experiencing.

TT: You mean this glamorous life is going to be short-lived? No way coach I am going to be the man forever. Wait a minute. I've always had this nagging feeling that I don't have what it takes to play at the next level. Maybe you're right. What am I doing wasting so much of my time being so selfish. I'll buy in coach. I'll stop posting stupid garbage on my Facebook page.

Self: You bet you will, because you're going to delete your account immediately.

TT: Man, this place sucks...

waywardJay 10 years, 1 month ago

J86-

Furthermore, Cj Giles dragged a woman from his apartment by her hair..... Comparing Tyshawn to either CJ or Giddens, who was stabbed after insighting a fight in a bar, is insane.

Tyshawn's frustrated at his lack of success on the court numberswise...... he's not dragging anyone of out his apartment by their hair or insighting fights in local bars..... He tried to punch someone in october and his punch was so terrible he only hurt himself.....

People need to stop assuming the worst.... the only ONLY thing that tyshawn has done that has made me dislike him.... after a dunk earlier this year in a game we ALMOST lost he saluted the fans after a dunk..... That kind of showmanship should get hime benched....

lahawkfan 10 years, 1 month ago

Yea your right waywardJay he doesn't start fights. He "never gets outta character...he's always a G about it".

Signed, The KU Football Team

Come on most people would learn from their mistakes, but this kid just can't learn from his. He keeps running is mouth to the media and the "social media". He just doesn't get it. Hey Tyshawn just in case you missed it, which obviously you did, your not a star!!! Let's face it...Tyshawn chose to come away from his Under 19 USA team experience/success with a negative message. Instead of using it to make himself a better player and learn from his experience he chose to view it as "I'm a star now". Somehow Tyshawn believes this is HIS team. Yeah your right Tyshawn this should be YOUR team after all the two preseason all americans and the highest rated recruit KU has ever had are garbage and your money. Help this kid find a new home cause he just isn't Jayhawk material.

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 1 month ago

Nothing like censorship for a person to learn at a university. Personally, if Taylor would like to leave, I say good riddance and start Elijah Johnson. Why this player is on the bench is still beyond my comprehension. He is a true point guard who would take away much of the burden that Collins has been bearing all season. Elijah Johnson would start on at least 8 other teams in the big 12 but at KU he is getting garbage time only. It was refreshing to see Withy get more playing time. He can take as much minutes away from the disappearing Aldrich as possible. Yes... he lost his grandmother. So have a lot of us. I know he was close and I feel for him but this is getting old. Collins is all heart, Taylor and Henry are all hype and Morris Brothers are proving they belong. I would shift the starting lineup immensely. Nobody should have carte blanche starting rights at Kansas.

dynamitehawk 10 years, 1 month ago

"Yes... he lost his grandmother. So have a lot of us"

jhawk7782, that's mean dawg. He is a kid. He could have gone pro last year, and did not because he loves KU. Don't treat him like a pro yet. He is awesome and he is rare.

Did you try to do the left hand thing that HCBS is doing. I'm telling you, it's hard...

shinguard 10 years, 1 month ago

I have said this before. TT seems to struggle when Sherron is on the court with him. He just seems lost in that rotation. Even if TT stays in the funk all season, I would like to see him play for KU next year where he would be poised for breakout season (worst-cse scenario). Be patient, TT, and the game will come to you.

jcsmith 10 years, 1 month ago

AW. Perfect.

Another chance for me to say it again.

Taylor.... TRANSFER ALREADY......

I think New Mexico could use another KU transfer.................

waywardJay 10 years, 1 month ago

Lahawk.... hate to break it to you.... no one was innocent in that brouhaha....

SIgned Footbal and Basketball Fan.....

Tyshawn screwed up his wrist.... and possibly his improved three point shot.... it's hurting us against tenneessee....

No one said he was innocent..... he doesn't deserve the negativity.... the biggest difference i can tell you between Giddens and Tyshawn Taylor.... tyshawn's not afraid of the drive.... and he's willing to sacrifice ( a little bit ) for the teams sake....

Tell Giddens to come off the bench.... Not likely.

I suggested after we got Xavier ... we needed to start Brady...... Sherron,. Brady, Xavier, Marcus and Cole..... Everyone said i Was CRAZY.... guess where we look the best.... Yeah, who guessed it... I didn't hate on Tyshawn... I thought he was best coming off the bench.... Looks like that's clear now, and now that Brady's back in the good graces Look for him to start until Tyshawn can prove he belongs......

Don't get me wrong, I want to see Tyshawn Succeed.... He's a GREAT player, but he's not as great as alot of our Jayhawk Nation suggested he is..... it's funny how people turn on him because he hasn't quite made an NBA player out of himself.... He'll get there.... Next Year. Tyshawn defers the rest of the year, and this could be his team.

Adam Evans 10 years, 1 month ago

Brady in the lineup is win. We are SO much better with him starting. I think it is taking a bit away from X because Brady focuses on feeding inside...but that is where our strength is right now. Good call coach.

Oh, and Al Gore invented facebook.

Chris Bruning 10 years, 1 month ago

i used to love it when X shot the ball. much like tyrel reed. more and more i found myself sayin OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHH SSSHHHHHHEEEEEEIT

Jetson 10 years, 1 month ago

Some of you guys seriously need to chill out and know YOUR role. Bashing a 19 year old kid on a message board makes you all look like idiots. I trust Coach Self will do what is best for HIS team. Either support the Jayhawks and Self or GTFO! TT is obviously going thru a rough time mentally. I sure hope those of you that have kids don't scrutinize them half as much as he is, or they might end up getting disowned. In today's world, with the technology advances, everything an athlete says can be taken out of context or made to be in a bad light. Lay off the kid.

Chris Bruning 10 years, 1 month ago

Jetson, i can agree with you for the most part, but come on we are talkin about a guy who may be causin distractions, even for his own mind....and stuff like that can disrail a national championship. I love Tyshawn and i believe in coach self as well, but he needs to quickly find his role and do his best for the team at this point.