Friday, January 22, 2010

KU’s Xavier Henry excelling on defense

Kansas guard Xavier Henry reaches for a steal against Central Arkansas guard Imad Qahwash during the second half, Thursday, Nov. 19, 2009 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Best known for his offense, Xavier Henry was dandy on defense in Kansas University’s 81-75 basketball victory over Baylor on Wednesday night in Allen Fieldhouse.

The 6-foot-6 Henry, who plucked seven steals, tied Tony Guy (1979 vs. Kansas State) and Darnell Valentine (1977 vs. Fordham) for most thefts by a Jayhawk freshman in a single game.

The seven steals, which tied for the third best mark in KU history, were the most since Mario Chalmers’ seven-steal effort versus DePaul on Dec. 8, 2007.

Aaron Miles had a school-record nine steals against Iowa State on Feb. 16, 2003.

“The ball was coming to me. When it gets by me, I just swipe at it, and I come up with it,” Henry said.

His previous high was four steals three times — against Tennessee Tech, Alcorn State and Cornell.

“I could tell during the game I was getting a lot of steals. I didn’t know I had seven, but I knew I was stealing the ball a lot,” Henry said.

KU finished with 15 steals and forced 20 turnovers — which proved important on a night Baylor hit 52.1 percent of its shots, including 10 of 21 threes.

“It was another game that had a lot of possessions, a lot of turnovers and a lot of runs,” Henry said. “It was a fun game to play in.”

Henry, who is KU’s second leading scorer at 14.9 points a game, missed 10 of 13 shots — including five of seven threes — en route to 12 points.

Obviously, KU’s team leader in steals (34) didn’t let his offensive struggles affect his ‘D.’

“Defense is fun,” Henry said. “Before I got here, I wasn’t a big defensive guy, but when coach (Bill Self) taught us the principles and stuff like that, I got real big on defense.”

Junior center Cole Aldrich said Henry’s defensive work has reminded him of a certain Jayhawk player now in the NBA.

“Two years ago we had Mario, (Chalmers, Miami Heat) who seemed like he’d steal the ball eight times every game,” Aldrich said, “and that’s one thing we were kind of missing over the past few games, getting out in the passing lanes and gapping and getting steals. And I think if we continue to do that, it’s going to be tougher for offenses to score.”

Henry has come a long way since his high school days, when he averaged 28.3 points a game while focusing almost completely on scoring.

“He’s got a great body, but he’s got great hands,” Aldrich said. “He’s starting to figure out where defenders are going to be and that really helps.”

The star of Wednesday’s game — Sherron Collins —had two steals to go with his 28 points.

“He takes over for us when we need him and he puts us on his back,” Henry said. “He’s always amazing. That’s how he comes to play every game. That’s why we love him.”

Henry said he was proud of Collins and Aldrich handling a pair of deaths in their immediate families. Collins was to attend the funeral of his great grandfather, Robert, on Thursday in Chicago. Aldrich will not be attending services for his grandmother, Ann, today in Northfield, Minn. He’ll practice with the team at noon and ride the charter bus to Ames.

“It doesn’t seem like it’s affected them a lot. I haven’t heard too much from them, but we are all praying for them,” Henry said.

Rumors

KU coach Self said he would have no comment on rumors that soph guard Tyshawn Taylor implied on a Facebook entry that he might transfer. Taylor’s Facebook was taken down after the rumors started. Taylor, who was replaced by Brady Morningstar in the starting lineup Wednesday, had no points, five assists and no turnovers versus Baylor. He was at practice as usual on Thursday.

KU will next meet Iowa State at 1 p.m. Saturday at Hilton Coliseum in Ames. KU is 17-1, 3-0; ISU 12-6, 1-2.

Comments

Michael Auchard 9 years, 10 months ago

People on the ESPN boards have been commenting on the Tyshawn transfer thing for awhile.

Whether or not you like him or not, I think people should have a basic respect for the amount of work Taylor, like all of the 'Hawks, has put in for this program. I don't think it's fair to hate on a college-aged kid the way some people on these boards have.

2 cents.

blackmild33 9 years, 10 months ago

i have to agree on people that are hate on ku player and i do not think that he will not go no were

zturner29 9 years, 10 months ago

Taylor transferring?? I guess its not a shock cause he didn't even play in the first half against Baylor. I do like the guy but he has played so crappy this year. The guy turns the ball over all the time and he can barely make any open jumpers. Though he does play some good D and brings some energy to the court. I guess will see next few games if he is still part of the team.

Btw Henry's defense still needs a lot of work. Nobody on our team is Brandon Rush at D yet

KEITHMILES05 9 years, 10 months ago

Fair or unfair but TT has brought about this stuff on his own. Nobody told him to post what he has on Facebook. Nobody told him to get into a fight. Nobody told him to tell the media "I have no idea my role on the team." This is him talking.

What this shows is his lack of maturity and selfishness as a person.

Now, is it "right" for fans to "hate" him? Well, probably not but again........look at what HE has done and said.

Jonathan Andrews 9 years, 10 months ago

IF Tyshawn can't handle the fact that Brady is a MUCH, MUCH better fit for what the rest of our starting lineup needs, then he needs to transfer. Morningstar can shoot the long ball, which relieves pressure when teams zone it up on us, can feed the post better than anyone else on the team, and is a better defender than Taylor. TT has many qualities that outshine BM, but unfortunately for TT none matter to the success of our starting unit as the ones BM brings. Facts of life; accept it for a year, and next season, YOU will probably be the one we build complementary pieces around!

TT surely isn't absorbing the team concept IF he sees guys like CJ and Elijah working just as hard as him in practice, just as talented as he is, and happy just to get IN the game.

yates33333 9 years, 10 months ago

KeithMiles05 is correct in saying that TT lacks maturity. Many young people do and are given the benefit of the doubt because of that. He seems to be learning. He is an important part of the team. He is a much better point guard than Morningstar. Morningstar is an excellent 2 guard but has more trouble against the press and isn't noway as fast as TT. I just hope TT improves his shooting and works his way back into the starting lineup.

But TT isn't the great, great concern of this team. The great, great concern is the play of Cole Aldrich. If KU is to be in the final dance and win it all Cole must play as he did against most teams last year and as he did against UNC's Hansborough the year before. For some reason he seems to lack energy. I don't know why he is pulled out so often other than he is running out of steam and Self knows it. Cole's dream of being a pro will surely require that he play in longer spurts than he does now.

Collins is the savior of the squad thus far, but he can't carry the load all the way to a championship alone. Granted Morris and Morningstar gave a lot of help against Baylor, but KU will have to beat two or perhaps three teams better than Baylor to win it all. Baylor is a good and improved team but wont go beyond the sweet sixteen this year. Only Collins and Aldrich playing 100 percent most of the time with the same ability they showed last year and Collins has shown this year will carry KU beyond the sweet sixteen. Aldrich has my deepest sympathy for the loss of his grandmother and for his suffering from bronchitis, if that was the problem, but he needs to rediscover his energy, vigor, and skill that somehow seem to have gotten lost a bit. I hope the discovery comes soon. I thought it had against Texas Tech but was wrong.

Also I fear too much was expected of X and O and EJ. I forgot that they are freshmen with the difficulties that freshmen face in the high caliber game of division one basketball. We are getting close to the time when they are not suppose to be freshmen any longer, at least according to conventional wisdom.

kufan89 9 years, 10 months ago

wow! I hadn't even heard about the Tyshawn stuff. I mean i knew about him saying he didn't know his role on the team but I didn't know about the whole transfer thing. Hope everything works out. ROCK CHALK ALL DAY

Kent Wells 9 years, 10 months ago

Taylor posting something on Facebook? Now where have I heard this story before???

Ben Kane 9 years, 10 months ago

him wanting to transfer is news to me. I don't want him to go.

KEITHMILES05 9 years, 10 months ago

I think alot of Cole's drop off has been his personal situation with his grandmother. Emotionally that has had a big toll on him. Part of the healing proces will be for him to dedicate the season to her. Look for him to be on the uprise.

Kent Wells 9 years, 10 months ago

Ok, so I'm curious as to the chicken and egg part of this...

Did he post something about a transfer after being benched for Baylor, or was benching punishment for a FB post?

Anyone know?

I bet that one little paragraph keeps us from talking about X's great D against Baylor. Nice work X!

stravinsky 9 years, 10 months ago

If its playing time he's worried about, I'd be surprised to see him transfer. He'd have to wait an entire year before he'd have a chance to get into the game. Whereas next year with no Sherron, there's a pretty solid chance TT will be getting some heavy playing time.

John Brown 9 years, 10 months ago

I think the "I don't know my role" statement from TT was his way of drawing attention to himself. I started thinking about the possibility of him transferring when I saw the limited time he played versus Baylor. I hope that he doesn't become toxic in the locker room. Obviously, Self is losing confidence in TT. I am glad to have players like Reed and Morningstar who add stability and genuinly want to play for KU.

Mike Kendall 9 years, 10 months ago

Chuck-- you & I agree a lot! It is news to me, too. And I don't want him to go. However, everyone who posted had good points. Taylor is a little immature. He does some stupid things off the court. HCBS is losing confidence in Taylor. Taylor brings some talents to the table. Maybe he'll be a better player coming off the bench, who knows. But Morningstar is feeling his stride and I see him getting better every game. RCJH--Beat ISU!

Chris Shaw 9 years, 10 months ago

Man, I am so tired of the Drama with TT whether it is him starting stuff or the media clarifying rumors. Yes, TT made some mistakes in the past, but I had hoped that that was all behind him now. I don't know what to think at the moment. I've been supporting TT as much as I can. Some people just need some extra time to figure things out. I am not going to give up on TT because I like the kid. TT, I know it's tough at the moment, but there is a lesson in all of this and hopefully you will give it enough time to see it through. I just don't want TT to make a drastic decision that will hurt him in the future. I think TT will be a better player than Russ Rob in the long-run, but I hope he takes a page out of Russ Rob's book.

Chris Shaw 9 years, 10 months ago

jbrownjib: I agree with most of your comments, but it's not about TT "Genuinly wanting to play for KU"? It's the game of basketball and I am pretty sure TT has the desire to play the game of basketball. Sometimes though and I can understand TT's frustrations, that no matter what you try to do correctly to please the coach, you're doing something wrong. IMO, TT is just thinking way too much on how to please to Coach and not to make a mistake that he is playing passive and without a purpose. It's a tough spot to be in, but I gurantee if he can fight his way through this situation, it will look good to NBA GM's in the future.

Jeff Kilgore 9 years, 10 months ago

TT has extremely high potential and that's why Self has been patient with him. But I'm not sure that the distractions are worth the player. He's so unpredictable, and that is something that can really hurt a team. Self has to put the team first.

TT would be a fool to leave. The nature of the person doesn't change just because he leaves one school for another. A sophomore slump is a natural thing, but he may not be old enough to see this.

Matt Bowers 9 years, 10 months ago

It is too bad that this team cannot focus on the upcoming games and March without this distraction. TT if you read these posts, take a look at Sherron and Cole. They are both going through personal set backs and are not making excuses. Sherron and Cole see the business side of playing ball at KU and both know if they can handle themselves, good things await. Big Dub is another example. I just hope this is not a case of someone besides HCBS getting in your ear and making you promises that they cannot keep. Do what is best for the team and you will find that is probably what is best for you.

Rock Chalk

KU 9 years, 10 months ago

I think the worst thing that happened to Tyshawn was the success he had on the U-19 World Champion basketball team last summer. Being the leading scorer went to his head. I think he genuinely thought he would be a Big Deal this season. I have to admit, I personally had very high expectations for him because of the confidence and experience he gained over the summer.

Coach Self had been pretty successful getting Tyshawn to play Self's style of ball his Freshman year. Then Jay Wright got hold of him over the summer, and it's been all downhill. Don't get me wrong, Wright has a whole slew of very talented guards at Villanova, and I think he's a good coach. But he has a whole different philosophy about basketball than Coach Self. I think it's much looser, with less organization, especially on the offensive end. Watching a clip on ESPN about Villanova last night, one of the commentators said Wright's idea of offense was to give the ball to his guards and say "take 'em!". What guard wouldn't like that philosophy?

Also, Tyshawn has had a really hard time buying into the hard work required on the defensive end.

I hope this turns out with a happy ending, just like with Russell Robinson. Very similar circumstances. Hopefully Tyshawn can be humble enough that he allows his dreams to be broken for the good of the team.

KU 9 years, 10 months ago

On topic.....X is doing a much better job on defense. I was really hard on him early in the season. Over the summer, he needs to work on getting quicker feet. It will help him defend on the perimeter AND it will help him drive to the basket next year. As someone said, he still has a long way to go, but he's only a freshman.

NH_JHawk 9 years, 10 months ago

KU - I think you meant Jaime Dixon and not Jay Wright for U19 last summer.

keith horinek 9 years, 10 months ago

I see Tyshawn being the point guard next year. I thought that was the plan all along. If he can stick it out this year, this will be his team next year. Sherron waited two years to be point guard. Now he's probably the best player in the country. HCBS has a knack of developing point guards. Look and Mario, Sherron and now Tyshawn. He needs to be patient and things will come to him. Also it could be the sophomore slump that he's going through. There is so much talent on this team that you can't take a day off, somebody will surpass you and the next thing you know your sitting on the bench. I'm a big Tyshawn Taylor fan, Tyshawn, just hang in there, this could be your team next year.

Mike Kendall 9 years, 10 months ago

Hey, not to be off the subject, but I saw K-O-B-E Bryant on Sports Center this morning, losing to Lebron and the Cavs. It always nice to be humbled once in a while, admitting that you made a bad mistake and all. {For those who do not know the inside story, I spelled Kobe's first name, Colby} It nice to know I have the very informative "Jayhawk Nation" to set me on the "straight and narrow! Have a good Friday!

KU 9 years, 10 months ago

NH_J............So much for that theory! Not sure why I thought Jay Wright was the U19 coach.

beawolf 9 years, 10 months ago

It will all work out. If he's not happy, he should leave. It's not like there is a lack of talent to replace him. If he stays, he could be an NBA top 15 pick after next year. I personally think Morningstar is a better fit as a starter. The immediate concern is the offensive production of Henry and Aldrich.

bradynsdad 9 years, 10 months ago

can anyone suggest the best place to get basketball tickets. my wife and i have been married for two years and she used to hate ku bb because we scheduled activities around the games, but now she is watching with me and is becoming a fan. i think if i can get her to a game she will become die hard rock chalk.

rockchalk80 9 years, 10 months ago

"IF" TT is really thinking about transferring... it is out of pure emotion... HCBS has indicated on numerous press conferences that TT is more talented than others at his position. Regardless of how his season plays out... I would think someone would let him know that he would be a major player on next years squad, heck, if he was playing to his potential, he would be a major contributor on "THIS" year's team.

Choices: a. stay and be a key cog on a perennial contender, one of the 5 best BB programs. b. transfer, sit out a year, and be a key cog at a lesser school.

Kent Wells 9 years, 10 months ago

KU: great theory, wrong coach. Dixon. No nevermind. Don't over complicate the problem. The issue is as simple as TT reading his own press. Point plankin.

Tony Bandle 9 years, 10 months ago

I remember talk this summer of the possibility of TT going into the draft. Obviously, that is not going to happen but if he transfers the result is the same.....an open scholarship and, more importantly, a more attractive option for Knight/Shelby/Lamb.

If he stays, he will work it out. If he goes, new possibilities arise at the 1 and 2 spots...EJ stays for sure, top ten frosh comes in, more PT for the guys here.

Honestly, I hope he stays. The ceiling on his potential is sky high but, more importantly, if he stays I think he'll leave KU a better man.

FairgroveJayhawk 9 years, 10 months ago

bradynsdad! What's wrong with you?? This scenario was something you should have taken care of a long time ago! You should have taken her to a game before getting married and put stipulations in a prenuptial agreement regarding fan support!:) Last game my wife and I went to a few years back we scalped tickets. It was the KU/MU game, the tickets were way pricey (although very good seats), and KU opened the game early by 20+ points. It never was a contest after that. Next game we go to I believe we'll stand in the student section so I can reminisce :)

To answer your question about tickets…. I don’t know.. Good luck.

Kent Wells 9 years, 10 months ago

Sorry, KU - didn't read all the way through. Didn't mean to pile on.

Another reason for problems: Not enough balls for all the talent. Someone has to get POd.

Tribehawk 9 years, 10 months ago

On an unrelated note, did anybody else get an immature giggle out of this quote?

“He’s got a great body, but he’s got great hands,” Aldrich said.

jchawkfan 9 years, 10 months ago

bradynsdad-My first suggestion would be to ask someone that has tickets and if you don't know anybody you might look on craigs list in the Lawrence area I see tickets for sale on there sometimes. I have never bought tickets like that before but might be a good starting place? I bet your wife will love it. I too work my weekends around KU basketball and my wife gets mad sometimes. In fact she was makeing fun of me the other night before the game. Saying I'm like a little kid getting ready to go to Chucky Cheese when KU is getting ready to play. But my wife loves to go to the games even though she has no idea what is going on basketball wise.

Larry Smith 9 years, 10 months ago

Nice article about X and the effort he is putting forth on defense. Too bad it is overshadowed by the last paragraph concerning Tyshawn. Maybe that should have gone into one of the basketball notebook columns.

bradynsdad 9 years, 10 months ago

jchawkfan thank you for your input i will look into your suggestions. my wife bless her knows how much i love hawk bb. she has recently sat down and not only started watching hawk bb butt every other game i watch, she asks alot of questions and is very curious. i also coach and she has been coming to all the games i coach and the games i play in. to get her into allen field house i think would push her over the edge and into my world.

dynamitehawk 9 years, 10 months ago

Tyshawn! Stop with the social networking! After my first 'happy hour' facebook update I realized, Point Plainkin', that hiding behind a ridiculous avatar and handle is way less damaging.

MplsHawk 9 years, 10 months ago

To bradynsdad: Can't help with tickets, but I can share this story. When I started dating the woman who is now my wife some 20 years ago, she did not even know who Michael Jordan was (no kidding). Spending time with me meant that early on she ended up spending some time in front of the tv for Jayhawk basketball (she is not a KU grad). Funny thing happened -- she noticed a player named Jarod Haase who always seemed to be flopping around on the floor and who was "cute." Pretty soon, she was getting to know the other players and, well, long story short, I created a monster. We live a long ways from Lawrence and never get to AFH, but we never miss the games on tv -- indeed at her insistence we have the Full Court basketball package and we schedule all social events around game broadcasts. Some of you folks may remember the Jayhawks playing in the Great Alasks Shootout a few years back. It was my wife who stayed up for the games that didn't start until 1:00 a.m. So, bradynsdad, may it all happen to you!!

3GJayhawk 9 years, 10 months ago

Tyshawn is foolish if he posted anything about him transferring online. It really makes him look dumb. If he really did it then Self should just bench the guy. I personally don't think it's a bad thing if he leaves this team. He is absolutely interchangeabe. EJ has a much higher ceiling than Taylor and he is just a freakish athlete. Bottom line is that we have several guys who can play that role and I don't think Tyshawn is the best option anyway. What we need to happen is for Cole to get back to what he was doing last year and start dominating folks down low. If this happens, which I believe it will, and Marcus continues to play so well. We may be an unstoppable force. "Cannonball" Collins with two dominant big men down low with another solid gaurd (Brady) and a solid wing (X)! Barring injury, I'm not sure they lose again.

Benjamin Piehler 9 years, 10 months ago

playing D well alone wont get X into the NBA next year.

Marcia Parsons 9 years, 10 months ago

bradynsdad: There is supposed to be a site on KUAthletics.com where ticket holders list tickets they aren't going to be able to use. The MU game may be a little harder to find a ticket.

Alan Mills 9 years, 10 months ago

I have to disagree with most of the comments here, as well as the article. First, it is nice to see Xavier getting a few steals. Is he actually playing great defense? No. To even mention his name and Chalmers in the same sentence, talking about anything, is an insult to Chalmers! Xavier couldn't guard Chalmers if Mario was asleep! Xavier is the worst defender on the court, unless Robinson is in the game, period!

As for Taylor, I would be sad to see him go. He is one of our top 5 players. He turns the ball over some, yes. But, he also makes plays. He can defend. He is an explosive player. Right now, I think he's edgy because he has to take a back seat to Collins and Xavier. Taylor barely played in the first half against Baylor...everyone got in before him! But, he played the majority of the second half, when we won the game! I'd love to see him replace Xavier in the starting 5. That, I believe, is our best 5: Collins, Taylor, Morningstar, Marcus Morris, and Aldrich.

KUGreenMachine 9 years, 10 months ago

Why not title this story for what it's really saying.... Where has Xavier's Offense gone???... Maybe he wants to stay on our team another year and have a chance to be the true star of the team.

jchief40 9 years, 10 months ago

hawkinator NBA drafts on potential - we all know Henry has the potential to be a star. So I hope you aren't suggesting that X has to play better or he won't go in the first round. lol

I'd love him to make a personal decision to come back another year and get better. But if he wants to leave for The League then he'll get his wish. Done deal

cdanielsfv 9 years, 10 months ago

I have no doubt in this world that TT is a gifted basketball player but in my opinion you have to be so much more to be a Jayhawk. Before TT came to the Jayhawks how many brawls with the football team had we been in? How many times had a player posted on Facebook any kind of remark about his team? My view of TT is that he thinks his sh** don't stink. Every time he is taken out of the game he has a myriad of excuses as to why he did what he did. I look at someone like Xavier and compare the attitude and it is night and day. I would like to agree with you on the immaturity comments but Xavier is younger, more talented, and to my knowledge has never once given any kind of attitude towards constructive criticism. If TT is going to remain on the Jayhawks and be a productive useful part of this team he really needs to level with himself. He is extremely talented but he also has a long way to go. HCBS will get him where he needs to be if he would only get his ego get out of the way.

Vincent Patterson 9 years, 10 months ago

"KU coach Self said he would have no comment on rumors that soph guard Tyshawn Taylor implied on a Facebook entry that he might transfer."

No comments on the rumors means it's most likely true, otherwise Bill would have said it was false. I really do think Tyshawn a.k.a. Can't Get Right (from the movie LIFE)has the potential to be really good, but his antics off the court are starting to become a cancer to the team and Bill Self's team philosophy. Why can't this dude keep his mouth shut? So what, you didn't start last game and was the last guard in the rotation to get in (which I wouldn't be surprised was a consequence of this last stunt), big deal. Your "Coach" did what he thought was best for the team to win and I definitely didn't have a problem with it. Man, Brady was in Lace's azz, flat out. Yeah, Lace still got his, but even those shots he hit early, Brady was right there on him. That first or second three Lace hit, he came off a double screen and Brady still managed to get a hand in the face. In order to win that game, Bill couldn't afford to let Lace just get wide open looks, you simply can't do that or he'll bust you for 40 instead of the 27 he got - He's cold!

What's funny is that during the game they showed Tyshawn on the bench before he finally got in, and his body language said it all. Didn't even look like he was focused on what was actually going on in the game, instead he had that "Man, this is some bullsht" look on his face. Now, in contrast, what do you see every single time you see EJ on the bench? He's cheering his boys on, studying, learning, keeping his head into the game in case he does get a chance to play. Why? Because he's bought into the "what's best for the team" philosophy. Sht, if anybody should be mad about a lack of playing time, it should be EJ!!! Anyways, that's Tyshawn's problem, he still doesn't get the team philosophy as evidenced by his earlier "I don't know my role on this team yet" comment. Man, all you do is whatever the team/lineup when you go in needs for you to do to win and get better. Sometimes it's just D, sometimes it's scoring, sometimes it's using your quickness to penetrate and dish to your bigs down low. Whatever the TEAM needs Tyshawn, whatever the TEAM needs you to do!

Personally, I think that success he had in summer ball (U19) went to his head. NewsFlash Tyshawn, that was 19 and under. Last time I checked, the majority of folks you would face during the regular season ain't 19 and under bruh! Just look at your own squad. You got old men all over the place! LOL Brady, CJ, Sherron - grown azz men!!!! Like I said, I think TT could be really good, but if he leaves, then….."We gonna miss you Can't Get Right" LOL!!!!

Eric Schneider 9 years, 10 months ago

I hate to say this. But Tyshawn has been an embarrassment since he got back from the world championships. First there was the fight, then the continued sullen behavior, and now finally running his mouth on his Facebook page, again. He needs to grow up and realize that this program is much bigger than him. Otherwise sit him on the bench for a couple of games, see if he gets the message that way. This could be a special team, even by KU standards. You can't have a cancer like this in the program. If he doesn't want to play by the same rules as everyone else, dismiss him from the team.

hawk4life18 9 years, 10 months ago

I would be sad to see Tyshawn leave. I think that in the long run he can be one of our most important and valuable players. Yes he does turn the ball over and it does seem like he has some maturity issues at certain times, but I think if he sticks it out and just continues to learn, he can be very valuable to us. I wish people wouldn't bash him all the time on these message boards. I trust Coach self, and if he thinks Tyshawn is viable to this team, then we need him.

Rock chalk Jayhawk!

Vardar3285 9 years, 10 months ago

Tyshawn Taylor is a serious problem at this point. For the last seven months he has been nothing but a walking soap opera. He is simply immature and selfish. He seems to learn nothing from mistakes. To post something like that on face book after the previous facebook issues is beyond dumb.

I saw this coming when his entire family moved to Lawrence. What family follows a kid to college? That is simply strange. His family sees him as a meal ticket to money and NBA stardom. The kid simply has to much pressure on him and I gurantee allot of that pressure is coming from family being in his ear. If my mom had followed me to KU in 2001 that would have simply been emotionally devastating.

Kye Clark 9 years, 10 months ago

If things continue spiralling down for TT it is truly a tragic case of wasted talent. Think about it, we landed this guy due to a coaching change at Marquette, he was coming from one of the most successful and storied high school programs (Bob Hurley's St. Anthony squad in New Jersey), he was coming into a situation where he was given tons of playing time due to the mass exodus of so many 'hawks from the Championship team, he was our third leading scorer on a sweet 16 team, lead the u-19 World Championship team in scoring, and then it just all falls apart. Even Brady's first half suspension couldn't save him.

All of us can only speculate on what the problem is, whether his time on the u-19 team ruined him/set him back, if he started believing the hype about possibly making the jump to the NBA after this season, if it has been HCBS's tweeking of the 2 spot that has him confused or stunted his progression, or as I think Jaybate has speculated he has an elbow injury that he's hiding. I'd hate to see him go, he is crazy athletic and has the potential to be a Russell Robinson kind of point guard and defender. It took Russ Rob a couple of years to figure things out as well (lest we all forget). Don't confuse that statement with me letting TT off of the hook for some of the foolish things he done and problems he's brought on himself.

However, if he continues to be a distraction and can't positively contribute to this team, than I will wish him luck wherever he goes. I think most of us think this can be a special team, and it is Sherron's last run at another title, and I'd hate to see any of that derailed by a lack of chemistry.

Scott Smetana 9 years, 10 months ago

Oakville... perfect post. KU needs TT, TT needs KU.

bradynsdad 9 years, 10 months ago

bhann, oldalum, and mplshawk thank you i appreciate it. mplshawk great story i only hope i have the luck that you did. i know countless people that were not ku fans til they get into AFH, then they become die hard. i will be showing my wife your story this evening.

SCHNBALL 9 years, 10 months ago

Called the TT mess long ago, did not think he would last the season, we are a better "team" without him right now. Oakville, I don't know how high his ceiling really is, no improvement on his jump shot and all the drama? X had his best all around game of the year last game, go ahead and bash me (3 for 13), but I really thought he played a complete game. We are better offensively with Brady involved in the backcourt, never thought I would say that. For double T's sake, I hope he does work it out at KU, but right now, he is not a fit for this team.

vmwskywalk 9 years, 10 months ago

TT is one of those guys that can't get out of his own way. Everybody has known someone like that. All the talent in the world but can't make the right decision to save his own butt. I said to my wife, the moment I saw he wasn't starting the other night, he's going to transfer. That's not what I want, it's just my gutt feeling.

TT has two choices. He can give it all up and play Bill Self basketball. No more whining, no more social networking. That, IMHO, is his best shot to make it to the NBA. Or, he can continue down this same old road and feel sorry for himself. He'll transfer somewhere else and nothing will change. He won't be in the NBA and will disappear from the media. If he's lucky he'll get a degree, but I highly doubt that will be the case. Maybe ESPN will send out one of ther beat writers to do a "what could have been" story in a few years.

Your choice Tyshawn. I think you'll make a great Jayhawk if you'll just give yourself up to the progam and do what it asks. Trust in coach Self, he'll make you a man. Good luck in what ever you decide.

Vardar3285 9 years, 10 months ago

Taylor needs to make a decision immediately. Buy in to coach Self and the program or leave. It's very simple. What we don't need is this situation festering behind the scenes come March.

Ron Franklin 9 years, 10 months ago

i hate to see anybody quit anything. especially a ku bball. but, it's really starting to seem like his piece doesn't fit this puzzle.

where the heck has jaybate been lately

MikeOlmstead 9 years, 10 months ago

KUSHAW...i really hope your message to Taylor doesn't fall on deaf ears. so inspirational. sooooooooooo inspirational. lets just pray that Taylor reads these message boards. JAYBATE...where are you? please add your two cents. maybe write a few paragraphs? get that D boy.

honk_for_hawks 9 years, 10 months ago

I feel for taylor and I knew this was a possibility. Last year we could put up with the growing pains and off games because we didn't really have any other options. This year if you don't have a good attitude or you aren't playing a good game, we have enough guard depth that you probably won't play as much on your bad days. Its good for the team, but considering how much he had his butt kissed in the offseason, I can see why he isn't adjusting to this as well as we as fans may hope. Taylor has a chance to be a great player if he plays within himself and buys into self's team concept better, but I agree with vardar, he and self need to get this figured out because the team does not need one player's problems ruining a once in a lifetime season for the rest of the team. Sherron will go down as the best point guard in KU history if we win the title this year, but as good as he is, he needs help.

rawkhawk 9 years, 10 months ago

1) I like the improvement in X's defense and his increased aggressiveness. I see him becoming an excellent all-around player as the season progresses.

2) I hope TT sticks it out and continues to help out the team. I think Tyshawn is growing up and will be an important part of this year's team and into the future.

kennethst 9 years, 10 months ago

I agree with everyone saying Taylor should leave.....we don't need losers like this.....LOSER in every sense of the word.

I certainly wont miss his numerous turnovers and poor attitude.

A player like this can destroy chemsistry on a team. We wouldn't even miss him.

Taylor....don't let the door hit you on your way out!! Do us all a favor.....transfer to MU or K-State.

jchawkfan 9 years, 10 months ago

Kind of off the subject but I just watch the 2008 Championship banner Unveiling video on utube. And all I have to say is WOW!!!! I love that video. Maybe an above mentioned player should watch that and maybe he would see what a TEAM can do if they buy into what HCBS is teaching. I like TT and I think he will be a good player. I hope he just sticks with Self and he will learn a lot about life and basketball.

Tony Bandle 9 years, 10 months ago

Where in the world is Jaybate?

Jaybate is in the hospital with a skiing accident......or not Jaybate is visiting the Dali Lama......or not Jaybate has gone undercover for Her Majesty's Secret Service.......or not. Jaybate is working on the longest posting in the history of man. The title????..... Okie Ball and the theory of the expanding universe......or not. Jaybate is on assignment as a Master Assassin........or not. Jaybate has gone wilderness and now lives in a tree in Yosemite Park.....or not Jaybate will be posting any minute....or not!!!

Tony Bandle 9 years, 10 months ago

PS Jaybate is having dinner at MikeOlmstead's house......or definitely not!!

Tuskin 9 years, 10 months ago

TT has a good Assist/Turnover ratio (better than 2). When he plays sharp, that ratio is phenominal.

Kent Wells 9 years, 10 months ago

We don't need a 5,000 word post to solve either issue on this blog today:

1. Regarding Taylor, this is very simple. Two words will solve what ails him: GROW UP. (Or point plankin (whatever the hell that means)

2. Regarding X and the "problem" - basically he is raising the bar on his game. Read between the lines folks. Above he basically says "I've never played defense before". Can you imagine the energy it takes to play D1 ball? He's becoming the complete player before our eyes. Let him grow. Let it be.

3. Bonus regarding Jaybate. He's checked into the sex addict clinic to provide emotional support to Mr. Woods. He also has a problem with Ashley Judd to resolve.

Martin Shupert 9 years, 10 months ago

If TT learns when it's time to shut his mouth and play his way through this thing, he'll be better off. Others have gotten through worse times than this and gotten stronger as a result. Brady is one of those. I think this is just a case, too, of Morningstar showing up to play D. I have never seen anyone strip a shooter so many times. There was no way for Dunn to bring the ball up from his waist to his shoulders. Brady had the ball almost every time. Amazing stuff. TT just has to buckle down, close the damn Facebook account for now, and play his way back into the lineup. Guess what? There's going to be competition in doing that. Is he up to the task?

Aligned 9 years, 10 months ago

Kennethst,

You use the word “we” like you’re on the team or something. Are you a player or a coach?

My definition of “loser” would be someone who is anonymously posting hateful comments about a young man they probably don’t even know.

Grow up already.

kennethst 9 years, 10 months ago

Aligned,

I agree with you. I was pretty steamed when I wrote that having just heard about his facebook comments.

You're right....we don't know the situation enough. Still, if it;s true, I would not be happy.

When TT is playing to his potential....he is great. Unfortunately, I don't think we see it nearly enough.

kerbyd 9 years, 10 months ago

Words to live by, Jaybate.....let it be.

Tony Bandle 9 years, 10 months ago

Let's all look at this horrible season Kansas is having:

1] Currently 17-1, #3 most likely 18-1, #2 by Monday. 2] No injuries, academic issues or law breakage [fingers crossed for luck]. 3] Still haven't played best game. 4] Today picked by rivals.com as the overall #1 seed with the play-in game opponent. 5] All projected post season sites [Okla.City, St.Lou and Indy] accessible to KU Nation 6] Home streak should reach 59 by season's end. 7] Best Coach in Division One. 8] Best Point Guard in Division One. 9] Greatest tradition. 10] Greatest Venue. 11] Greatest Game Intro Video [and the loudest!!] 12] Greatest and most knowledgeable fans in basketball.

PEOPLE,PEOPLE,PEOPLE.....rejoice, revel and root like crazy. Down deep everyone wants to be like us and are saddened because they know they can't. North Carolina is in disarray, Kentucky is about to fall. When the dust settles it will be Kansas standing tall.

Aligned 9 years, 10 months ago

Kennethst,

Thanks for your thoughtful and civil response. You may be a better man than I am.

Let’s all hope that TT matures into a good student and a great player while attending KU.

Peace.

Mike Kendall 9 years, 10 months ago

OakvilleJHawk--

You say it so sweetly!!!!! Nice rhyme at the end, too!

Kent Wells 9 years, 10 months ago

Oakville,

I think that they got all of the law breakage out of their system before the season started.

yates33333 9 years, 10 months ago

Answer. Jaybate is the Dali Lama, incognito, and a master assassin of basketball fools.

Jack Wilson 9 years, 10 months ago

The situation with Taylor calls for leadership from within. Sherron is the leader. His job is to get Taylor in line, and on the same page. Cole has some responsibility, too.

We have no idea of what he internal dynamics might be here.

All I can say is: EJEJEJEJEJEJEJEJEJEJEJEJEJEJEJEJEJEJEJEJEJEJEJEJ

Brian Stoops 9 years, 10 months ago

Does anybody on here actually know Jaybate? If so, please call him and get him back posting - it's not the same without him........