Saturday, January 9, 2010

Tennessee captain kicked off team

Other three suspended Volunteers will not play against KU

Tennessee senior J.P. Prince, in practice Friday in Knoxville, Tenn., displays the jersey numbers on his shoes of the four players suspended or dismissed from the team. Coach Bruce Pearl dismissed forward and team captain Tyler Smith on Friday.

GameDay Cram Session: Tennessee

KUSports.com online editor Jesse Newell and Journal-World sports editor Tom Keegan take a look at what to expect from the Kansas basketball team's matchup against Tennessee.

Jayhawks set to face depleted Tennessee team

The No. 1 KU basketball team will not face Tennessee's full complement of players Sunday afternoon because of drug- and gun-related suspensions served to four Vols.

photo

Tennessee forward Tyler Smith loses his balance trying to avoid Kansas forward Marcus Morris during the second half Saturday, Jan. 3, 2009 at Allen Fieldhouse.

University of Tennessee all-SEC forward/team captain Tyler Smith, who scored 21 points and grabbed nine rebounds in the Vols’ 92-85 loss to Kansas University last Jan. 3 in Allen Fieldhouse, won’t be around for Sunday’s rematch in Knoxville.

Smith on Friday was kicked off the team by UT coach Bruce Pearl following his New Year’s Day arrest on drug and weapons charges.

Three other Vols who also were arrested — Cameron Tatum, who had 10 points versus KU; Melvin Goins and Brian Williams — remain on the squad but have been ruled out for the 3:30 p.m. tip in Thompson-Boling Arena.

“They obviously will miss their full complement of players,” KU coach Bill Self said Friday. “They didn’t play like they did against Charlotte (in 88-71 home victory on Wednesday).

“Now this will be a chance for Scotty Hopson to take over and do what he’s capable of doing. He’s their best prospect.”

Hopson, a 6-7 sophomore guard, averages a team-leading 13.5 points a game.

“They’ll probably go with Wayne Chism (11.5 ppg, 5.8 rpg) more, and he does things that are hard to guard,” Self said of the 6-9 senior, who scored 17 points with six blocks against KU last year.

“Maybe with the depth situation they’ll back off a little bit, but I can’t imagine that playing at home. It’ll be the same (pressing) style,” Self added of the Vols, who used an eight-man rotation Wednesday.

KU sophomore Tyshawn Taylor said he was disappointed the No. 16-rated Vols (11-2) wouldn’t be at full strength against top-rated KU.

“Tennessee is a great school. They are ranked high, but I think we are at a disadvantage because they don’t have their full team,” Taylor said. “If we beat them, people are just going to say, ‘Oh, they didn’t have their full team.’ If we win, we are not going to get the credit we deserve for it, but I mean, we are going to go in there with the mindset that everybody is playing. We are hungry just like they are hungry.”

Junior Cole Aldrich said it’d be a test playing in a hostile arena that seats 21,678 fans.

“They can still be a great team. They played Charlotte with these guys and played well,” Aldrich said. “It doesn’t matter if those (four) guys are playing or not. It still will be a great game, a fun game.”

The four Tennessee players were in a rental car stopped for speeding by Knoxville police. Two guns and a bag of marijuana were discovered in the vehicle. Smith, a Pulaski, Tenn., senior who transferred to UT from Iowa after his freshman year, had considered leaving for the NBA Draft after his junior year. He led the team in minutes played and assists.

“I am deeply troubled and saddened,” UT coach Pearl said. “Playing basketball at the University of Tennessee is a privilege, and where conduct is displayed that is detrimental to the team and the university, this discipline is required.”

Smith, who faces misdemeanor charges, apologized Friday.

”One day soon I hope I can finish the 12 classes that I need for my degree. My recent actions do not reflect who I am, and I can only hope that what I do in the future can make everyone believe in me again,” he said.

At least one of Smith’s teammates was stunned by the news.

“I didn’t just lose a teammate. It was like I lost a brother, so it hurts,” senior guard J.P. Prince told the Associated Press. “This is one of the few days I wasn’t excited to practice just thinking about not having him alongside me anymore. You just hate the way things ended.”

Web presence

Self will begin answering fans’ questions once a week at BillSelf.com. His first Q and A chat session will take place at 2 p.m. Monday. He also said he had opened a Twitter account and would start tweeting Monday.

“From a recruiting standpoint, I think it’ll be good,” Self said. “I’ll tweet every so often, maybe daily, maybe three or four times a day. It probably depends on how the game goes the night before. It kind of will let our recruits and fan base follow us a bit.

“I’ve been very much against this ever since people started doing it, but from what I gather it is a way to get to potential recruits because they do check it out.”

Self said he would not post controversial material.

“I’ve learned some things not to tweet based on some professional athletes, and I will not tweet at halftime. That will definitely be policy,” Self said.

Don’t go

Self was asked about reports Missouri may leave the Big 12 for the Big Ten.

“I hope it does not occur from a selfish standpoint and fan standpoint. It’d take away something if we were just playing once a year in St. Louis or Kansas City, which I’m sure we’d still try to do,” Self said.

“I hope that’s not the case, but if they do, they do. Our league is fine regardless. Trust me, it’d still be the Big 12 because there would be some school of the same caliber that would want into our league desperately. I hope it doesn’t happen because I don’t think it’s best for everybody involved outside of Missouri, but if it’s best for them, they’ve got to do what they’ve got to do. From what I understand there’s numerous schools on that list that potentially the Big Ten may think about adding.”

More on Reed’s treys

Tyrel Reed, whose big three gave KU a 61-60 lead with 3:55 left against Cornell — was asked about Tyshawn Taylor comparing his role to that of a football field goal kicker, who enters to provide needed points for the team on a steady basis.

“I never thought of it that way. I guess maybe in that game, it (role) was ... three points like a field goal at the end of the game,” Reed said. “I don’t know if that’s a good comparison, but it sounds all right,” he added, laughing.

The Jayhawks enjoyed watching Reed’s fist pumping and chest thumping in the film room a day after the victory.

“We saw him go crazy in film yesterday. We were all teasing him about it,” Aldrich said. “Tyrel’s a little reserved. He is fun, though, because whenever he steps on the court he tries his hardest,” Aldrich added. “It’ great to see him out there. He’s my roommate. I love the kid. He tries so hard. He’s one of those kids you look up to.”

Comments

yates33333 7 years, 11 months ago

If you check the U of Tennessee's basketball roster you will find that Tyler Smith has become an "unperson." If current and former KU students are still required to read 1984 in Western Civ (I think they call it World Civ now) they will understand this. Two of the four who will not play were starters and two were reserves. Someone made the point that a wounded animal fights harder. Amen. Beware Jayhawks. This is still a very big test. I imagine Tennessee will still press the ball as usual.

justinryman 7 years, 11 months ago

On a side note, with Tennessee being an SEC school, Tim Tebow did not cry for them. True story.

exiledhawkfan 7 years, 11 months ago

we don't play today you sarcastic, negative moron.

jaybate 7 years, 11 months ago

Saturday with the Serotonin All Screwed Up for No Particular Reason:

}Self was firmly against doing a web site and Twitter in the beginning.

Now he's doing it.

Roy was firmly against internet blogging in the beginning.

Now he accepts it without comment.

Was Larry Brown firmly against cheese cake in skirts asking questions at the end of the first half with portable microphones? Larry Brown? Averse to cheese cake in skirts? Are you kidding me?

Was Ted Owens firmly against satellite feeds of basketball games when Telstar went up in the beginning? No.

Was Dick Harp firmly against TV broadcasts in the beginning? No.

Was Phog firmly against radio broadcasts in the beginning? No.

Was Naismith firmly against transoceanic cable transmissions of the telegraph in the beginning? No.

What is it with Self and Roy and their technophobia?

Any way to increase the ordinary person's affordable access to KU basketball, when the tickets are so scarce and high-priced, and scalpers are getting double even against teams like Cal, is a good thing.

Why not put minicams in, oh, say, 10,000 square feet of Bill Self's 27,000 square feet house and give the fans real access!! Hey, that would still leave him 17,000 square feet of privacy.

} Tyler Smith, Cameron Tatum, Melvin Goins, Brian Williams. Roll call for the damned.

} Sure would like to know what Tyler said to the officer to merit the only boot.

} Guns and drugs? Tyler might as well have gone for the trifecta: guns, drugs and hoe's.

} J.B. Prince, take a hint: Even Admiral Bull Halsey was smart enough to wait ten years after Pearl Harbor to write a book defending Admiral Kimmel. Take those stupid numbers off your shoes, or redo them with spray paint in gang graffiti script.

jaybate 7 years, 11 months ago

} After the Cornell mis-performance, Chism and Hopson are probably all the test this KU team needs right now anyway. Taylor and The Twins have to perform, or this could UTenn game could get ugly.

} Something about The Twin's combined total eclipse against Cornell concerns me. Taylor has a bum elbow. I can rationalize his Invisible Man routine. He's been bouncing in and out of it all season. But The Twins disappear-o is particularly anomalous, because they have been so consistent all season. I want to buy the "emotional let-down after being sky-high for Temple" hypothesis, but a little voice is me says there may be something more. One of them tanking I can imagine, but both? Not likely. But the little voice is not telling me what is wrong? Only just that something is not right.

} Taylor is apparently pretty severely injured, so, C.J., what are you waiting for, man? You missed a big chance vs. Cornell. Get your butt down and guard, or you are going to wind up a one year footnote. You can do this gig. It is clear you have the tools. Something between the ears is separating you from your big shot, maybe your last shot, in sports. Don't let it. Carl, prop him up on offense, but chew his onion about defense...for his sake.

} Chism is the kind of guy Cole struggles against, if Chism can hit the 15 foot J. Cole, bring your A game, or discover real guilt for the first time.

} Sherron Collins is just an amazing basketball player. Start cutting the fabric for his jersey in the rafters now. How many PGs carry their teams on their backs as many times as Sherronatron has? You can count all of them in the history of the game on ten fingers and ten toes. He's Self's ace in the hole every game.

jaybate 7 years, 11 months ago

soobawls,

And if UTenn wins, guns and bongs!

Martin Rosenblum 7 years, 11 months ago

I thought the numbers written on his shoes were maybe some answers to a test that he had taken!

Martin Rosenblum 7 years, 11 months ago

If Taylor is the only one actually kicked off of the team at this point, does that mean there is more evidence against him than the others? Even though he is a senior, it looks like they're possibly leaning toward suspension for the rest of the season for the others and Taylor would be finished this season anyway so that's why he is considered as off the team. Have I missed something that implicated Taylor has been more at fault or something?

Martin Rosenblum 7 years, 11 months ago

I must retract my earlier dig at those numbers on J.P. Prince's shoes. I forgot we are alumnae of the same high school. Sorry fellow Spartan!

KEITHMILES05 7 years, 11 months ago

There has been absolutely no reports of Taylor being injured.

His problem is he has a lazy side and isn't basketball smart. Plus, he needs to take regular dosages of Ritalin.

Steve Brown 7 years, 11 months ago

Jayhawk Nation please forgive me, I have sinned.

I had a one night stand with Cornell. I know it was foolish and I shouldn't have done it, yet she was so inviting and new and fresh and well, dare I say it, smart.

She didn't care about my history, titles, banners or tradition, she accepted me for what I am, a fan of team play.

I have been true for decades and recall the night I witnessed JoJo & Walt Wesley destroy a top five MU & the dreaded Darth Norm Stewart. From that night AFH was the only girl for me.

I've never faltered, yet today, I'm questioning as the universe is upside down.

Before I ebay my crimson & blue stuff, and move to a Creighton or Ft. Hayes State or any small town with a 4,000 seat arena where the only sniff of a 2 star recruit will be those that drive thru town, someone shake me back to reality.

Pls bring a tennessee thrashing and some home cookin' so I can get the indescretion behind me

Doug LeMoine 7 years, 11 months ago

LJW: Nice photo. Where's the attribution? (It looks like it could be Krug, but not sure that it is).

Jaybate: Where did you get the info about Tyshawn? Twitter?

jayhawkinATL 7 years, 11 months ago

From a rivalry standpoint, I can see ISU going to the Big 11 (a.k.a. Big 10). Wonder who the North division could pick up to replace ISU??? Thoughts???

Bridgett Walthall 7 years, 11 months ago

Is it just me or does Taylor seem to still be in need of an attitude adjustment? Something isn't right...

jaybate 7 years, 11 months ago

williepless,

I am inferring injury, probably a hyper extended elbow. He's wearing one of those big, ugly elbow rigs that Sherron wore so much of last season. His trifectation has dwindled from 36% down to 28.6% and even his FTs are at 69%. He gets to the rim less than last year, even though he looks just as fast and springy. Inference: good talons, bad wing. This sort of injury left Sherron last year with Trinitron accuracy at 38%, whereas a healthy Sherron has his Sony dialed into 42% accuracy. I just don't see what else it can be.

Over summer, pre elbow rig, Quantum T was shooting very well. Don't have numbers, but his coach praised his outside shooting.

Self has a history of not explaining elbow injuries. He never said much about Sherron's wing problem last year. I am just speculating it is the same situation with Ty.

Taylor was soft to the rim all last season and he still evidences that softness. But he had floor game, defense and had a jump shot, which he has nearly abandoned. And when the paint was not full of blue meanies, he could fly through the air with the greatest of ease. We've played a lot of cupcakes that he should have been air borne against and wasn't. His shot is terrible.

Again, it just seems like an injury.

okiedave 7 years, 11 months ago

Jayhawkinati - I would favor the following additions:
1st: Bringing Okla. State into the North and adding Arkansas to the South;
2nd - Colorado State to the North
3rd: Adding TCU to the South and bringing in Okla. State to the North.

ParisHawk 7 years, 11 months ago

exiledhawkfan,

soobawls made an innocent mistake in an otherwise perfectly fanlike post.

I don't see morons as capable of sarcasm, but name-calling may not be entirely out of their league :)

jaybate 7 years, 11 months ago

Someone tell me if Tyrel Reed can possibly be trifectating at 27-37 for .730, as the LJW stats indicate? That has to be a typo, right? The last time I looked he was only around 40 percent.

FairgroveJayhawk 7 years, 11 months ago

I keep picturing the 4 Tenn. players rolling down a side street as the sun comes up doing 5mph, high as a kite when they get pulled over, asking the officer if they were speeding, as Afroman's 'Because I Got High' played.....

We was goin to beat down those Jayhawks too, but I got high.. Now I'm off the team and I know why.........cause I got high, cause I got high, cause I got high.

Soobawls- very pleasant post:)

ParisHawk 7 years, 11 months ago

jaybate,

According to http://kenpom.com/team.php?team=Kansas, Reed is 6-10 for .600 from 2, 15-37 for .405 from 3.

KUFan90 7 years, 11 months ago

Jaybate I have one agree and one disagree with you today:

agree : J P Princes shoes. Why would Pearl even allow this? What if the crime was assault or worse? Did Self allow the Jayhawks to put a tribute to Brady on their shoes during his DUI suspension? Why they would allow college athletes to pay tribute to team mates that made stupid mistakes and broke the law is beyond me.

disagree : Your twins assessment. Go back and look at the games this season. We have always had at least one twin show up...but often the other twin would not. Law of averages says we were due for a game eventually where they would both be MIA. Let's hope they have that out of their system now and can get back to being Twins v2.0 like we have seen this year.

FairgroveJayhawk 7 years, 11 months ago

jaybate- hopefully the Morris' total eclipse will be balanced by a supernova within the next 14 games. I hope it comes when needed most.

Dan Harris 7 years, 11 months ago

Watching ESPN and their biased crap, H Davis doesnt even have the Hawks in his top 4. He has Texas, Craptucky,Puke and get this K-SUCK! what a JOKE!!!

Pius Waldman 7 years, 11 months ago

Big 10 can select any team they desire. Iowa State probably no TV coverage benefit. More likely an east coast market or more likely Missouri. They have the choice and our wishes are worthless. After their selection other movements are possible. PAC 10 moves to 12 maybe even 14 or 16 team conferences. How about KU Nebraska and Missouri to the Big 14.

Dan Harris 7 years, 11 months ago

Watching ESPN right now and their biased BS. H. Davis doesnt even have the Hawks in his top 4 teams. His top 4 are Texas,Craptucky,Puke and K-Suck! What a JOKE!!

Dan Harris 7 years, 11 months ago

Sorry didnt think the 1st one posted. They just had a good interview with Self( Gave Davis a dig for not having the Hawks in his top 4)

ParisHawk 7 years, 11 months ago

Since I mentioned the kenpom site, check out the player stats at the bottom of the page.

• Robinson: when he plays, uses more possessions than anyone else. Fouls the most but gets fouled just as often, which means his horrible free throw percentage hurts even more.

• Sherron, X, Cole and Marcus all get fouled more than they foul.

• Cole is among the best in the country in blocks and defensive rebounding.

• "Offensive rating": CJ, Brady and Tyrel lead.

• Sherron, X, Cole and the twins all use about the same number of possessions and have about the same "Offensive rating". Looks like a balanced offense.

ParisHawk 7 years, 11 months ago

Sorry, in that last remark I meant "use about the same PERCENTAGE of possessions".

jayhawkinATL 7 years, 11 months ago

oakiedave...CSU actually popped into mind. Don't know about moving OSU to the North since it would result in the Bedlam Series being put on hold every several years, unless the Big XII does something similar to the ACC, where certain rivalry game are maintained year-in/year-out. Bringing Arkansas into the South makes some sense since it would renew some of the rivalries of the SWC. Don't think the SEC would let that happen though.

tdub 7 years, 11 months ago

If soobawls was referencing "1984" then I believe they actually took another underhanded dig at our coach, making some reach about him and Big Brother with this Twitter business. We might want to stop the compliments.

Just didn't want there to be too much satisfaction derived on his/her part.

tstanlick1909 7 years, 11 months ago

Bradley Beal is playing a few miles from my house in a tournament tonight. So of course I will be sporting Jayhawk attire from head to toe. I will also be brandishing a sign that reads "It's not too late to be a Jayhawk!" Don't let his commitment to Florida fool you, I will be a representative of HCBS tonight.

KU-84 Tenn-72

jaybate 7 years, 11 months ago

ParisHawk,

Thanks for the thumbnails from that site. They largely confirm why Self is playing the guys he is playing. Here's hoping The Prophet can clean up his game yet this season.

In basketball, beauty is sometimes an indicator of excellence, but, as in women, not always. As the season wears on and the statistics build up, the stats, particularly the ones relating to reliability in TOs, fouling, etc., start to outweigh how good a player "looks."

So, to rephrase and invert the old bromide about women met at closing time and women awakened with...

I never ended a season with a beautiful basketball player, but I sure started a few seasons with one. :-)

By the way, I have forgotten. Are you in Paris, France; Paris, Texas; Paris, Kansas; or do you just love Paris; or is your name Paris?

jaybate 7 years, 11 months ago

KUFan90,

Your remark about The Twins performance has caused me to go back and look at the boxes. I believe The Twins have been much more reliable this season than last, but I think you are more right than I am about the one shows/one doesn't point. Thanks for making me think...and learn.

ParisHawk 7 years, 11 months ago

tdub,

Wow! a ten-word post treated the same day as moronic, nay subtle sarcarsm.

You opened my eyes with the "1984" reference. I suggest another interpretation: this forum dominated by the Inner Party and the overly optimistic, Big Bill-loving Thought Police. The day we crack soobawls' anonymity, indoctrination will begin at the Ministry of Phog!

ParisHawk 7 years, 11 months ago

jaybate,

Are you hectoring me? You mention three Parises, but suppose when it comes to love there can be only one. Hmmm, which can it be?

To save you the trouble of asking, my name is not Hawk either.

Ben Kane 7 years, 11 months ago

jaybate,

I think you are reading too much into one game as far as being concerned about the twins. Let's see how they do tomorrow. I'm betting Marcus has a good game at least. Remember, they were on an intense emotional let down after probably being more pumped for the Temple game then they have ever been.

Ron Franklin 7 years, 11 months ago

The Twins & Tyshawn played like they were smokin chronic before the game. Lazy. No motivation. Poor vision. Bad decision making. Probably ate a Philly at half-time as well.

Ben Kane 7 years, 11 months ago

KUfan90,

we think alike. didn't see your post before i commented.

anyone else watching the KSU MU game?

ParisHawk 7 years, 11 months ago

jaybate, drgnslayr,

Stop torturing me! No! No! Do it to soobawls!

waywardJay 7 years, 11 months ago

JP Prince.... last i saw... People put the numbers of their teammates that have DIED on their shoes.... Doesn't this seem a little bit silly.... I mean frankly, they DID the crime.... sur eyou miss them, but it's there own fault they are not with the team....

you want inspiration.... why not put Cornell's players numbers on your shoes.... because if they had just one athletic point guard they might have just ended the longest win streak in the country

Ben Kane 7 years, 11 months ago

kstate games are going to be tough for a change. I guess that's good, the victory will actually mean something.

jayhawkinATL 7 years, 11 months ago

I'm praying we don't see Pat Summit topless!!!

waywardJay 7 years, 11 months ago

it was scary enough seeing bruce pearl shirtless..... im still wincing at the though....

jaybate 7 years, 11 months ago

New nick name for Tyler Smith: "Lock,Load&Burn" Smith :-)

okiedave 7 years, 11 months ago

A "shoot around" on Tennessee's Court could be a murderous experience.

lance1jhawk 7 years, 11 months ago

ralster- Very nicely put, about soo(tiny)bawls. I couldn't agree more.

BCRavenJHawkfan 7 years, 11 months ago

Maybe it's just me but has jaybate missed the obvious?

Dateline, Tennessee.

With the quick exit of players Bruce Pearl contacts Vols women's coach Pat Summitt. "I need your most prolific shooters Pat." Summitt retorts "But these are young women, you are playing a mans game against the number one ranked mens team in all the land." "Yes, yes," Pearl responds, "but we all know your women have practiced against men plucked from the campus, and they could probably beat one fourth of the mens teams in the country."

And so it is that a historic game gets set where Title IX reaches new levels.

BCRavenJHawkfan 7 years, 11 months ago

ralster, I've heard the same thing. Back in the 70's it was rumored the East German women's olympic team had a player that could father children.

Mike Kendall 7 years, 11 months ago

Jaybate-- Nice nickname for Tyler Smith--NICE!

Okiedave-- "A shoot around on Tennessee's court could be a murderous experience." ---Good play on words, but like Coach Pearl says, "We've got some weapons!"

Chuckberry32-- I did see the K-State/Mizzou game this afternoon. Mizzou still undefeated at home--I believe it is a 29-home game winning streak, now. Nothing like the Jayhawks home streak. The road games at Manhattan and Columbia will be tough. Any thoughts on the Wildcats or Tigers?

I believe Nebraska lost today, too. We play the Huskers on Wednesday. Maybe Coach Gill can invade Lincoln next Wednesday and convince some of the good Nebraska football players that won't see any playing time and have them transfer to KU. Ahh, what a stupid idea--what am I thinking?!

Mike Kendall 7 years, 11 months ago

drgnslayr--

Wow!!! That means you can pay for my trip to Indianapolis to watch the Hawks win it all in April!

On second thought, I don't want to get ahead of myself.

ParisHawk 7 years, 11 months ago

ralster,

Not sure what you were "respectfully disagreeing" with, since this discussion is not in real time. tdub's post was a good "heads up", I was just having fun with the "1984" angle.

I respectfully agree with your "hope over doom" choice, and I'll add my thanks to drngslayr's for your great commentary.

Steve Brown 7 years, 11 months ago

Paris: what one food stuff is created at the Paris Opera house?

T lost some big guns yet will still bring the heat.

Dateline: UT lost to Kansas this afternoon in a cloud of dust & confusion.