Friday, January 8, 2010

Reed on trey: ‘It’s my job’

Junior excited big three key to Kansas’ narrow victory over Cornell

Kansas guard Tyrel Reed gets up from his seat to cheer on his teammates against Temple during the second half, Saturday, Jan. 2, 2010 at the Liacouras Center in Philadelphia, Pa.

KU outlasts Cornell, thanks to Collins

Kansas extended its home winning streak to 51 games Wednesday against a surprisingly tough Cornell team.

Tyrel Reed pumped his fist, pounded his chest and jumped high in the air after hitting perhaps the biggest shot of his three-year Kansas University basketball career.

The Jayhawks’ junior combo guard was all fired up after accepting a pass from Sherron Collins and swishing a three-pointer to give KU a 61-60 lead with 3:55 left in Wednesday’s 71-66 home victory over gritty Cornell.

He was way more subdued in discussing the shot after the game while signing autographs outside the northwest tunnel of Allen Fieldhouse.

“I’m very excited, just trying to be calm,” Reed said. “Coach puts me out there to make a shot, so it’s kind of my job. It was fun to be out there and exciting to hit that shot.”

It also was exciting for him to prevail in the Battle of Burlington.

Cornell senior Geoff Reeves, who was a teammate of Reed’s at Burlington High, had three points and three steals in 26 minutes.

“I told him, ‘Great game’ afterward,” Reed said. “He played really well. I know he played a lot of minutes. I was proud of him.”

Reed, who also had three points, played nine minutes the second half after logging three minutes the first.

“I left him in. We needed somebody to make a shot. I thought it was the percentage play,” KU coach Bill Self said.

Close games are fun

Wednesday’s narrow victory — KU trailed by one with 48 seconds to play — had to be a bit too close for many fans’ tastes. Remember, KU had won its first nine home games by an average of 34.6 ppg.

It was not too close for sophomore Tyshawn Taylor, however.

“I love playing in games like that when it comes down to the end. This is why you come to Kansas, to play in games like this, not to blow everybody out,” Taylor said.

“We want to come here and compete. That’s what we did. Cornell played great. We were able to come back with fire. Sherron (Collins, 33 points) put us on his back. He carried us awhile. Cole (Aldrich) stepped up the second half. Everybody locked down and did what we were supposed to do.”

Taylor said he never doubted that KU would win.

“I always have faith,” he said. “I know what I’ve got around me. I know what my teammates are capable of. The way Sherron was playing, I thought nobody was going to be able to stop him.”

What ifs

No-1 ranked KU’s rally prevented Cornell from claiming the biggest victory in school and Ivy League history. It also stopped in its tracks any discussion of whether it would have been the biggest upset in Allen Fieldhouse history.

So Brady Morningstar was asked, if KU had lost, would it have been Cornell’s accomplishment or KU’s failure?

“I don’t know. Maybe half and half,” Morningstar said. “Anytime we’re playing here, I don’t think we should lose to anybody just because it’s such a homecourt advantage. I’m not taking anything away from Cornell. Cornell is a great team. They came here ready to play and gave us their best shot.”

Had KU lost ... “the country would have been freaked out. The country also had us losing, so ...” Taylor said, not completing the thought.

ESPN’s Andy Katz didn’t pick Cornell, but did write a piece the day of the game indicating the Big Red definitely could make it a game.

Collins mania

Self was asked Thursday on the Big 12 coaches teleconference if Collins’ performance was the best he’d seen in all his years as a coach.

“It was right up there because that was a real good team,” Self said. “We didn’t have anything going. We didn’t shoot the ball well from the perimeter. We missed so many shots in tight. We just needed somebody to put us on their back. That’s what he did. He’s had some great games here. That right there was probably as good as I’ve seen in a situation where he had to be in attack mode the whole time.”

Self was asked if he’s as confident with the ball in Collins’ hands when the team needs a bucket as any player he has coached.

“He is the best, the most clutch player as far as shooting the basketball,” Self said. “Three years ago it was Mario Chalmers without question. Mario could go make plays. Sherron is a guy more so than Mario you don’t have to draw up anything for him. He can just go make a play. Combine his ability to put his head down, get to the paint, get to the free-throw line and on the flip side still be a threat off the bounce from the perimeter, I think he’s the best I’ve ever coached.”

Comments

Don Everett 10 years, 1 month ago

"I think he's the best I've ever coached" is very, very high priase if you look at everyone who's played for HCBS. Thank God we have Sherron!!

gardenjay 10 years, 1 month ago

Sherron, good job. Tell your teammates to take you out for a steak dinner (is that OK with NCAA?)

Timmay97 10 years, 1 month ago

Let's face it....without Sherron, we don't win this game. Having said that, it's the best thing that could have happened for this team. Lets remember a couple of games earlier in the year when Sherron was completely off (not even reaching double digits in one game) and Xavier stepped it up with the scoring. That's the beauty of the Jayhawks this year......it's not just ONE player all the time.

The one thing that sets Sherron aside from all other players on the team is he can create his own shot and still be in control. Xavier short game has been poor lately, yet he's still hitting from 3. Who else can take a man off the dribble anytime he wants. The only other person I can think of is Elijah, and Self has proved that he's not going to give him the minutes this year. C.J. probably could, but I don't think he would be in control.

This team will eventually lose......and I hope they do. God knows I don't want them going into the NCAA tourney undefeated. WAY too much pressure. I just want them to lose in a good "road" game against a decent Big 12 opponent.

rawkhawk 10 years, 1 month ago

I'm not going to be too upset if the 'Hawks go into the tourney undefeated. I like these close call games that teach a lesson while being a "W". I think this team is getting tougher as the season progresses...Good game, Sherron.

bradynsdad 10 years, 1 month ago

bob knight was told once his indiana team needed to lose to grow and he never understood why. they ended up undefeated so is there a huge difference in one loss or no losses. if xavier leaves for the nba this year does anyone think c.j. will want to stay or head back to the yankees

Joe Baker 10 years, 1 month ago

Reed's new nickname is the dagger!!

This kid has consistently hit clutch treys when necessary. He loves that baseline trey from the corners.

Tyrel "dagger" Reed

Sharpshooter isn't quite right now, but if he improves during the season and the next year, he'll get the sharpshooter name. I would call freakin Wittman a sharpshooter that kid was phenomenal.

RCJHKU Smoke Tenn

John Myers 10 years, 1 month ago

Wittman was 7-17 (41.2%) from the field, 5-14 (35.7%) from 3pt - that's phenomenal?

Joe Baker 10 years, 1 month ago

austin- He's probably better than most shooters KU has faced.

Name another shooter that shot the ball any better?

Also, if he hits 1-2 more, KU loses. The shot at the end almost went in except for a little left and short on the iron.

Yes. I'd say he was phenomenal and he'll only get better. Maybe it wasn't that he shot much better than most. His range maybe more phenomenal than his percentage. Perhaps you see him as a "average" shooter? Compared to our shooters, he was bettter on this given night.

Ben Kane 10 years, 1 month ago

didn't Reed hit a monster 3 in a close game last year? I don't remember which game, but I have this eerie sense that it was just as big as the other night and perhaps bigger since the stakes may have been higher. can anyone help me out on this?

Joe Baker 10 years, 1 month ago

Cal maybe the only other team that shot much better. But Cornell is by far the best team in all cats that we'll play this year, bar-none!!

Joe Baker 10 years, 1 month ago

chuck- Yes. He's hit some dagger treys in some key games when needed. It's not that Reed can hit the trey, it's that he can step up better than most and hit it under pressure. My favorite treys are those he takes with 3-4 secs in the half. He can bury better than anyone in the country.

Mr Clutch? Dagger? Whatever, they all mean the same!

I'm glad he's a Jayhawk!!

Joe Baker 10 years, 1 month ago

chuck-

This has some other accounts of Reed's accuracy.

This was against NU ly.

Steve Brown 10 years, 1 month ago

Austin, my memory weak--- yet seems as if whitman missed 3of4 or 4/5 at the end, up to the last 4-6-8 minutes he was HOT and we couldn't stop him, so it seems to me. CNell Whitman & Foote needed oxygen at the end, when the Phog awoke & SC da Bull took over.

watching him reminded me a bit of AC Law A&M (our last AFH mis/step) and Stephon Curry Davidson etc....yet your facts are true.

Steve Brown 10 years, 1 month ago

Sunday: 3:30 CT CBS

78 v 69 KANSAS

RCJHKU

Joe Baker 10 years, 1 month ago

light- I found the song for the 4 Vols players:

I thought you'd enjoy this video.

LOL

Steve Brown 10 years, 1 month ago

True: thanks & spkg of Tenn and UTube here's one for you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ICXs_...

RCJHKU

K 78 v. T 69

David Leathers 10 years, 1 month ago

Check out that link...and more so the pic of sherron as a high school senior... how he has changed so much adding 30 pounds... I wonder if he knew he would be this good.

Robert Lofthouse 10 years, 1 month ago

CaliHawk - Collins looks much better with the 30-lb add and in crimson/blue

Joe Baker 10 years, 1 month ago

light- Oh yeah! I remember the dunkfest ly against the Smokin' Vols.

KU tow it up ly in the Phog!!

Smoke 'em again...same way, different place!!

RCJHKU

Joe Baker 10 years, 1 month ago

Cali- Sherron quickly grew up from a boy to a man!!

He looks so young in that pic.

He's grown a few different ways at KU!! LOL

redballer1313 10 years, 1 month ago

truehawk93 how about naming reed "Mr. Big Shot"? the dude has hit so many shots last year. all of them right before the half time buzzer.

actorman 10 years, 1 month ago

Timmay, you're right that if KU is undefeated going into the tourney, there will be a tremendous amount of pressure. Then again, can it really be that much harder than being number one for the entire year and having the name "Kansas" on your uniform? If KU has a shot at a season of epic proportions, I for one will take the extra pressure. (I know, easy for me to say since I'm not playing, lol.)

navyman 10 years, 1 month ago

Reed is the type/kind of player every team needs - he not flashy - not NBA material but a team player with a good attitude, good work ethic and a sound basket ball mind - someone who will end up on the sidelines as a coach when he hangs it up at KU

Joe Baker 10 years, 1 month ago

Redballer-

Mr Big Shot will work! It's all the same.

The kid can hit the big shots for sure.

RCJHKU

Smoke the Vols!!

Steve Brown 10 years, 1 month ago

Who trusts CBS? I suspect that if we're up with 6 minutes left and they switch over to the John Deere v. Massey Ferguson tractor pull nationals in DuBuque.

Joe Baker 10 years, 1 month ago

light- yep!! GUARANTEED...(all caps) I don't know why they drop caps to lower case.

I watched the vid of ly's game and the hawks executed near perfection.

thanks for the memories...good times and looking forward even more and better ones Sunday!

100 10 years, 1 month ago

All KU fans:

A quick few points.

1. As "fans", we might feel nerves about going undefeated.

2. I can guarantee you one thing. As players & coaches, once the game starts, that stuff doesn't matter. Once the game is over, the kids pat themselves on the back & are glad their goal (undefeated) is still alive.

3. Each game should be played to win. I've already seen two games this year where the "winning spirit" prevailed, no matter how poorly we played. Due to all of our systems not being put in yet & our fluidity not completely in place, in tandem with four players who will make a difference in the tourney just now getting in the mix (CJ, Withey, TRobb & EJ), we have a lot to be excited about.

4. Lets be real here. We are only halfway through development this year. With some teams, like a 7th grade team, that can be troublesome. However with the 10 players we are developing right now, that is a very good thing. In short, we are undefeated & our season has "just started". We should see a steady progression with sets, passing, boxing out & defense. And thankfully subbing!!!

5. I can not whisper loudly enough about the importance of quality subs. Especially your big men. Anyone who needs evidence of this, take a look at the first half of the 2008 Championship game, between the 0-39 Memphis Tigers & the 37-2 Jayhawks. Even in their starting lineup, they had no one that could stick with Darnell Jackson, Darrell Arthur, Sasha Kaun & for a couple minutes, Cole Aldrich. The margin at half was 5 points in our favor, but you see the Memphis big guys walk off the court & you see why having depth of big men in the NCAA tourney is so important. We picked & passed them to death on our offensive possessions. Didn't hit all of our shots, but we wore them down. Alas we had fresh (strong!) bigs to bring in, they didn't. Now, even though Memphis won the 2nd half, our big men wore them down. We only played five extra minutes & won by 7, but I guarantee you if we played for another 20 minutes we wouldve won by 30. We were that dominant down low.And Memphis bigs were that tired. And worse for them, they were exhausted & had a very thin bench. (continued)

Jack Wilson 10 years, 1 month ago

Zzzzzzz .. wow, Reed hit one three in 12 minutes of play, Tyshawn didn't score in 22 minutes, and Brady scored 3 in 25 minutes. That's what champions are made of ..... against Cornell.

We can rely on Sherron in every must score situation. At least we have X this year.

actorman 10 years, 1 month ago

"Anyone who needs evidence of this, take a look at the first half of the 2008 Championship game, between the 0-39 Memphis Tigers & the 37-2 Jayhawks."

LOL! They played pretty well for a winless team. (Actually the team itself wasn't winless, just Caliphony.)

You make a lot of good points, 100, but also don't forget that Dorsey fouled out with two minutes to go in regulation. He was by far their best big man, and things might have turned out differently if he hadn't fouled out. It was great to see the OTHER team having foul problems in a big game, instead of KU like so many times in the past.

actorman 10 years, 1 month ago

You're right, HighElite. Clearly, Tyrel, Tyshawn and Brady should be kicked off the team as they're not worthy of calling themselves Jayhawks. Or perhaps it's YOU who are not worthy of calling yourself a Jayhawk, since you obviously expect every player to play brilliantly in every game. And your criticism of Brady doesn't even take into accout the stellar defense he played. I'd say that the percentages overall are pretty good, considering that KU is among the national leaders in field-goal percentage and three-point field-goal percentage. That's obviously not just from Sherron ...

Ben Kane 10 years, 1 month ago

Your right, Cornell is not a great team. But, they are just as good as any Gonzaga team in the last decade. The beauty of college basketball is that good teams from smaller schools always have a chance. I guarantee we will have a game like this in the tournament and this experience and knowing that they don't need to panic is exactly what makes a champion. In fact, we are ahead of the curve. By prevailing against Cornell, this team showed me that they are hungry and determined to achieve their goals.

100 10 years, 1 month ago

(continued from above)

1. Cycling big men in tight games is huge. That's why we as fans should simply support what Coach Self is doing in some of these early season tight matches. He doesn't care about going undefeated. Our players do. I do. He could care less. He just wants us to play our best.

2. Here's where worlds collide: he wants us to play our best, so why is the subbing so obviously poor in games like this year's Memphis game & Cornell? It's simple really --if this was an NCAA game the strategy by us wouldve been so different & subs would have been flying into the game. We would have extended more full court light pressure (as we've learned this lesson the hard way already in 2005). We would have had at least 3 different sets to go to -- we used one basically the entire game against Cornell.

3. The peakability of this particular team is like not a team I've ever seen. The worst is to peak in December. We will not fully peak for a few weeks. Our ceiling this year is extremely high & quite frankly for an undefeated team, this is remarkable.

4. The goal for our players, we've all heard is out there -- they want to go undefeated -- it only makes them better & want to practice with that much more focus. That's a very good thing. It makes them (X & CJ & now others) go to the gym late at night to work on their shooting. This is a very good thing. It instills a winner's mentality that a coach cannot completely instill in players via speeches & practice. This "heart" beats within our players. They want to win every game more than we do. That's a great thing!!!

5. We've got to work on passing with more crispness. We've got to work on our angles. We must begin bringing our big men out for high picks. We must start subbing a bunch more. We must start boxing out!!!!!! Lastly, against teams who play a nice control game, we must speed these teams up -- let their point guard drive with his weak hand (this is what we did against SAT Rose too in the first half & he basically did nothing).

Against controlled teams, we must pass them into the ground & score quickly if the chance is there. Wear them down. Put some token pressure on the starting point guard's dominant hand all the way up the court. See how he's dribbling with his left hand with 5 minutes to go in the game. Wear them down!!! We have subs. They don't. We have good subs. They don't. We have super subs!!! They don't.

Wear...

Them...

Down...

Most of all Jayhawk fans, we need to enjoy this ride -- there are already a couple games we weren't that excited about... But we won. There could be a couple more before all of our "wear down" systems are put into place.

Alas, this will be a team we nor the rest of the nation will ever forget.

We "are" that special...

And we've only built half the X Wing fighter...

And Darth's got sore knees

And isn't even out of bed yet...

Have patience young Skywalker....

"Practice Wins Championships"

40-0.

100 10 years, 1 month ago

Actorman,

You're right Dorsey was a solid player for Calipari's 0-40 team.

A great player.

My point is we owned their bigs. We had two Dorseys & two "footer" Coal Trains.

Dorsey fouled out because he was exhausted & started getting sloppy defensively in the first half. They didn't have big guy depth so in the 2nd half Calipari's 0-40 squad did the best they could.

Again, that's the point -- when the games get bigger down the road, we must...

Wear...

Them...

Down!!!!!!!

"Depth Wins Championships"

40-0.

Jack Wilson 10 years, 1 month ago

chuckberry32: Cornell as good as any Gonzaga team this past decade? You have been dippin' into the crack. Cornell will not win a game in the NCAA tournament. Where would they finish in the big 12? Ahead of Colorado and Nebraska, maybe. And you say by prevailing against Cornell, this "this team showed (you) that they are hungry and determined to achieve their goals." Again, I think you may be a bit under the influence of something. Wake up. It is a demonstration of how much lack of focus this team has. While many want to slober praise on the Big Red, or whatever the *%$! they are, they should have been run out by 20. It demonstrates that this team in not focused, and not hungry.

actorman: My point is that none of those three are scoring threats. Great. Brady played good D on a guy that wouldn't be in our rotation. You all can keep sticking your heads in the sand all season. What I want is for this team to maximize its potential. Tyshawn brings nothing. He can't handle the ball against pressure, he can't shoot, he can't finish at the rim, he doesn't run the floor well in transition, and he doesn't feed the post well from a passing perspective. I am a broken record. Elijah Johnson is better than Reed or Taylor. Period. He can get to the rim, he can handle the ball, he can shoot, and he is great in transition. He looks to be a good passer, and I don't see him as a poor defender. Sorry. I'm not going to be a complete homer and slobber all over players that have demonstrated that they shouldn't have the minutes they have been getting. There is a reason Self took Taylor out of the starting lineup for two games.

KU 10 years, 1 month ago

HighElite.....Cornell is not a great team. However, they DO have 2 players that could contribute significantly to any team in America, including ours. Their 5 man is better than Withey (at this point) and better than Thomas (I'm not talking about potential). He's very nearly equal to Cole in terms of his ability to defend the lane and rebound. He may be more polished than Cole on the offensive end.

Wittman could elevate KU's play significantly at the 3 spot. He's a good 3 point shooter and has a nice mid-range game. He's a little better defender than X is at this point in time.

I wouldn't be surprised if they won a game or two in the NCAA tourney. If they had a better point guard, they would almost certainly win at least one game in the tournament. As it is, they have 2 guys that could play anywhere in America and a bunch of guys that understand their roles very well.

Having said that, KU should have still beaten them by 15 or 20 points. It was just one of those nights where we didn't bring it.

I do agree with you that EJ is our best point guard. Until he plays more consistently, he'll play behind Reed and Tyshawn because Self values possessions. If Tyshawn had continued to throw the ball away at an alarming rate, you'd see more of EJ by now.

JayhawkPurist 10 years, 1 month ago

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: First-team All-America this season or not, Final Four MOP this season or not, Collins has earned a spot in the Allen rafters; an integral part of KU's '08 championship team, perhaps the best all-around guard KU has ever had, a consummate winner. Coach Self says he's the best he's ever coached. 'Nough said.

Jack Wilson 10 years, 1 month ago

KU: Wittman better than X at the 3? "Wittman could elevate KU's play significantly at the 3 spot." Wow. X will be an NBA stud, and Wittman will be working in a bank. Don't get me wrong, Wittman is a nice player. But not in the same league as X. And certainly not elevating the 3 play. I'll take X any day. Perhaps just a difference in preference at the 3.

On Tyshawn, look at his line from the Cornell game. He did nothing. No shots, virtually no rebounds, turnovers, or assists. And he looked terrible vs. Temple. I think he's in a shell because he knows if he plays like he did last year and earlier, he'll lose that starting job. I just think we should get more from our 2. Personally, I liked him coming off the bench. Some guys respond to that role better than starting.

And on Wittman, if he's that good, seriously, why isn't he fine tuning his game at KU, or a real basketball school, so he can move on to the NBA?

Steve Brown 10 years, 1 month ago

Elite I've always enjoyed your takes.

On this issue, I"m with KUSays, as from my seat, their 5 man outplayed our 5 and their 3 was 2nd best player on the court, and they had the best coach & game plan of the night. Plus thier next 7 clearly beat our next 7 (outside of our top II) They played with lazer focus and one of maybe handful of teams that weren't effected by the Phog, (AFH mystique) KState brought a Mitch Ritchman & Billy Tubbs with Tisdale once had such focus, MU never did have it, few have come into AFH and brought such mental toughness. If we with our talent can find thier sense of team, focus and mental toughness we'll reach all our lofty goals.

Promised I was finished praising them so I won't name that team or players.

Elite what about Stephon Curry, Davidson did you see that game he almost single handedly kept Russ Rob & DBlock team out of final four, why is he at Davidson? Same answer.

Steve Brown 10 years, 1 month ago

Jayhawk Nation please forgive me, I have sinned.

I had a one night stand with Cornell. I know it was foolish and I shouldn't have done it, yet she was so inviting and new and fresh and well, dare I say it, smart.

She didn't care about my history, titles, banners or tradition, she accepted me for what I am, a fan of team play.

I have been true for decades and recall the night I witnessed JoJo & Walt Wesley destroy a top five MU & the dreaded Darth Norm Stewart. From that night AFH was the only girl for me.

I've never faltered, yet today, I'm questioning as the universe is upside down.

Before I ebay my crimson & blue stuff, and move to a Creighton or Ft. Hayes State or any small town with a 4,000 seat arena where the only sniff of a 2 star recruit will be those that drive thru town, someone shake me back to reality.

Pls bring a tennessee thrashing and some home cookin' so I can get the indescretion behind me

Kye Clark 10 years, 1 month ago

HighElite - Cornell is not a great team, but I think even in the big 12 they would make the NCAA tournament. They have 7 road wins already, against teams like Alabama, UMass, & Lasalle, and a win against Davidson on a neutral court. No that's not beating Kansas, Texas, & Michigan St. on the road, but those are quality wins. Should we have played better and won by a more comfortable margin? Of course. However, the ESPN bracket people are already saying "nobody's going to want to have that first round match-up with Cornell."

Regarding your take on Tyshawn, I think you're being a little hard on him. He played very well in the Temple game (granted everyone did, but he was 3-4 from the field, 8 points, 5 boards, 2 assists, and played great defense on Fernandez). In the last 7 games he has 34 assists and 6 turnovers. I'm not saying he's playing great or anywhere close to his potential, and I agree we should get more from the 2. Problem is where are we going to turn? Brady says he likes coming off the bench, and for all the good he brings to the team he is not a 30+ minute guy on a championship team. Tyrel? He's not a starter-quality guy either. Elijah still has too much to improve upon before being ready to contribute significant minutes against quality opponents. The same can be said for CJ. Maybe here's a different way to look at it. As I said, Tyshawn has 34 assists and 6 turnovers over the last 7 games, and has played significantly better defense over that span. Now he only averages 6.5 ppg, but would you take that from a point guard? Now look at Sherron, he has 32 assists and 18 turnovers over that same span, while averaging 16 ppg. Would you take that from a 2 guard? I think that's a fair way to look at it, that while traditionally the point guard takes better care of the ball and sacrifices his own scoring while the 2 guard is more prolific in scoring the ball but does not post the same gaudy assist-to-turnover ratio as the point guard, but for this team the production is reversed. Remember TT only averaged 10 ppg his senior year of high school, so scoring production isn't something that comes naturally to him. I think that HCBS knows what he loses in that area with TT he makes up for with SC. So Tyshawn had a bad game against Cornell. Sherron was 1-12 against LaSalle and finished with only 5 points. Surely had Tyshawn jacked up 12 shots against Cornell he could have gotten 5 points. It's not ideal, but maybe we should just be grateful that he doesn't force his shot and he has somewhat of a handle on his limitations.

KU 10 years, 1 month ago

HighElite.....I never said Wittman is an overall better player than X. I said he could elevate our play at the 3 spot. What I meant was that if we had X plus Wittman, we would be incredible offensively. X is getting better on defense and I really liked his competitiveness against Cornell, but Wittman is the headier player right now and he's a better defender right now.

Why is Wittman playing at Cornell if he's so good? That's not a good argument against his abilities. By that reasoning, Dennis Rodman should have never made it to the NBA since he played at a community college and then Southeast Oklahoma State.

Jack Wilson 10 years, 1 month ago

lighthawk: I agree on Curry, but I think he's a much different player than Wittman. No apples to apples there. Meaning, Wittman is no lottery pick. But I did a bit more looking on Wittman before running my mouth any further. Seems like he was a mid-major recruit, offer from Eastern Kentucky. One of the interesting links is below:

I would agree with KU's logic. In any case, good players can be found in many spots. Perhaps my tone on Wittman was more that I hope we don't just chalk this up to Wittman, or Cornell, being a super player or super team. Wittman is a good player, and Cornell a good team .. but the game was close because of how we played. If we take care of business, if we are focused, it's a blow-out.

We'll smother Tennessee.