Friday, February 26, 2010

KU’s Self: OSU trip just for business

Kansas players Marcus Morris (22), Sherron Collins (4) and Cole Aldrich (45) meet with head coach Bill Self during a timeout in the second half, Monday, Feb. 15, 2010 at Reed Arena in College Station, Texas.

KU hoops prepping for Anderson, OSU home court

The Kansas University men's basketball team will have to compete with Oklahoma State's home-court advantage and James Anderson, one of the Big 12's best guards.

GameDay Cram Session: Oklahoma State

KUSports.com online editor Jesse Newell and Journal-World sports reporter Matt Tait take a look at what to expect from the Kansas basketball team's matchup against Oklahoma State.

Bill Self won’t be grabbing a burger or a beverage at world famous Eskimo Joe’s restaurant tonight or Saturday in Stillwater, Okla.

“It’s a business trip. We will not mix in personal on this business trip,” said Self, Kansas University’s seventh-year basketball coach, who both played and served as an assistant coach at his alma mater, Oklahoma State.

“There are some people I’d love to see, but it’ll be when we come out of the locker room after the game,” Self added of Saturday’s 3 p.m. battle between (27-1, 13-0) KU and (19-7, 7-6) OSU at Gallagher-Iba Arena in Stillwater.

“It’s not a negative toward OSU, but I can’t do both.”

Self frankly will be too busy fine tuning his game plan tonight than to think about any outside distractions in his old college town.

He holds a 6-6 all-time coaching record versus Oklahoma State in stops at KU and Oral Roberts — but just a 1-4 mark in Gallagher-Iba.

“My teams have probably been beaten as badly in Stillwater as any place,” Self said. “Our worst defeat in conference play since I’ve been here was in Stillwater. It was only a 20-point game, but it felt like 40. That was a total domination.”

Self — his Oral Roberts teams fell by 42 points (94-52) in 1993 in Gallagher-Iba and 17 in 1996 — came out on the wrong end of an 80-60 decision as KU coach on Feb. 9, 2004.

It’s actually KU’s second-worst loss in conference play in the Self era. Texas pasted the Jayhawks, 80-55, on Feb. 25, 2006, in Erwin Center in Austin.

Self, who is 3-0 versus OSU in Allen Fieldhouse, directed the Jayhawks to a 64-49 victory on Feb. 13, 2006, in Stillwater, but fell, 61-60, in his last trip there — on Feb. 23, 2008.

“Our team in ’08 ... it didn’t win in Austin, Manhattan and Stillwater. It’d be nice for this team to definitely make a sweep of that and do something that our other (NCAA title) team labored so much to do,” Self said.

“Our motivation for this trip would be a chance to win another game and go 14-0 and win it (Big 12 regular-season title) outright and also beat a very good team. Sherron hasn’t won there. That’s motivation for him right there,” Self added of senior Sherron Collins, who has not won in just two Big 12 venues — Lubbock, Texas, and Stillwater.

Self, by the way, says there was a time early in his career he did get extra fired up coaching against his alma mater. That time has passed.

“I think when Michael Jordan was playing for the Wizards and every time he went back to Chicago to play it probably lessened a little bit as far as being emotional,” Self said. “I could be wrong. Of course, I’m not comparing this to Jordan, gosh that’s a bad comparison,” he added with a smile. “Anybody going back to play their alma mater I would think it’d be emotional, but I don’t think it’s going to be that big a deal.”

Race to 2,000

KU, which has gained 13 games on North Carolina this season, now has 1,997 all-time victories — just one behind the Tar Heels’ 1,998. KU could catch UNC on Saturday. The Jayhawks play at Oklahoma State, while the Tar Heels visit Wake Forest.

Self said he hadn’t been paying attention to the race to 2,000 wins.

“Who really cares about that, getting there first? Does it mean you’ve got a better program? It doesn’t mean anything,” Self said. “I think from our fans’ perspective it’d probably mean something just based on the history of Carolina and Kansas. To me, that doesn’t mean much at all.”

C.J. Henry update

Self said freshman guard C.J. Henry, who has been out since the third week of January because of a severely bruised tailbone, has been “practicing off and on.”

“He slipped on the ice the other day. That didn’t help his back at all. I don’t know if we’ll use him in a game coming up, but he’s probably 70 to 80 percent.”

NBA updates

It’s that time of year when players are peppered with questions about their futures.

Junior Cole Aldrich was asked if he’s approaching next Wednesday’s home finale against Kansas State as his final game in Allen Fieldhouse.

“It’s everybody’s final home game for at least this season,” Aldrich said. “It’s one of those things you want to make sure Sherron goes out on a great note. He deserves everything we’re going to try to give him.”

Freshman Xavier Henry also gave a nondescript answer when asked about possibly jumping to the NBA after this season.

“I just try to stay focused with my main goal of coming here — helping my team win a national championship. I don’t think too far into it, and if I’m ready, I’m ready. If I’m not, I’m not,” Henry said.

“Truthfully, they (media, fans) were looking at me as maybe a one and done. I was already set on being the best I could be, getting the most out of college I could while I could because I didn’t know how long I’d be there,” Henry added, referring to his attitude from Day One on campus. “I just wanted to get as prepared as I can. I’m still trying to do that right now. If I’m ready to go to the NBA at the end of the season then, God willing, I will, but if not, so be it, I’ll stay another year.”

Henry said he likes, “college, school. I like my classes. I like being around people a lot. It’s been a fun experience, getting to know everybody and my teammates and stuff. Being around this group of guys, so many personalities, it’s amazing what you can learn from everybody else.”

Comments

100 4 years, 9 months ago

Another Classic Comment from the Oklahoma State fan site:

"Our perimeter defense is too tough for Collins, Taylor & Henry. There's a reason Henry went to KU & didn't consider the Oklahoma schools -- because he's an awful passer & plays awful defense. We will eat their guards alive on the edges. As for their big men, well if Cole isn't scoring a point in the first half, we will be just fine down low. We just need to watch out for his blocking, but no team in America is better at the pump fake than us. Really looking forward to Saturday!"

docileboy 4 years, 9 months ago

Take care of business...I hope they do exactly that and let guys like me take care of Eskimo Joe's. Go Jayhawks, I will drink one for you and hopefully to you.

Martin Rosenblum 4 years, 9 months ago

A lot of pressure here.

A win means another regular season championship outright

A win would be great for Sherron, since he's never had that experience there

Closer to the 2000th win

OSU fan site would have to eat their words

HCBS would have broken his 6-6 tie record against OSU as a coach

Xavier would be 2-0 against Okla. schools

Our number 1 ranking would be in slight jeopardy

bradynsdad 4 years, 9 months ago

quiet the crowd and win the game. they have no answer for our waves of big men, anderson cant do it all. ROCK CHALK

Steve Brown 4 years, 9 months ago

Oklahoma State University–is a land-grant coeducational public research university founded in 1890 under the Morrill Act. Originally known as Oklahoma Agricultural and Mechanical College (Oklahoma A&M).

The Oklahoma State Cowboys have a rich athletic heritage, being the home of 49 national championships, a total better than all but 3 schools in the nation, and first in the Big 12..

This will be tough test, glad we don't have to wrestle or golf them.

frompekka2sasha 4 years, 9 months ago

"49 national championships" in sports that the world doesn't care about. KU has accomplished more in "real" athletics and also managed to stay away from hiring a couple of pill-poppers.

Let's go Hawks! Beat them Pokes.

100,

Best in America at the pump fake?

That's right up there with being the best in America at head faking.

Contucky's Travis Ford sure knows how to build a team.

Frankly, I prefer playing great defense and being 26-1.

Glen Darge 4 years, 9 months ago

What a joke: Bill Self associating himself with a dud like Garth Brooks who can't sing or anything. He is only an icon in his own mind. Coach needs to be careful who he associates himself with. Coach has earned his money and popularity and praise from his fans and team as he is a very hard working person. Brooks was pushed off onto the public with a microphone stuck in his face and that is it. What a waste.

BrockIII 4 years, 9 months ago

Their perimeter defense is too tough? That is laughable. Who is that midget in their starting backcourt going to guard? Sherron? It's going to be a tough game, but sometimes fan comments are too funny.

Joe Baker 4 years, 9 months ago

100- Now it ceases to be funny. It's getting down right ridiculous! I hope Sherron is reading this stupidity because he needs a little boost for this game. The Pokes are now becoming Jokes themselves.

I do believe a genuine gauntlet has be laid. It's becoming insulting to KU to say the least.

Paging Sherron! Sherron Collins please step up! Did OSU see the game last year in Norman? Could we see another clinic in Stillwater brought to you by Sherron Collins?

Rock Chalk Beat OSU!

Joe Baker 4 years, 9 months ago

Rock Chalk Beat OSU!

John Boyle 4 years, 9 months ago

Why the bashing of Garth Brooks? He is a good entertainer (not a great singer but a very good entertainer). And probably more sucessful than you model454pilot! Don't let jealousy rule your life and your thoughts.

KUFan90 4 years, 9 months ago

Self should bring Julian Wright back to talk to Cole and X so he can tell them to stay in school another year.

"Our number 1 ranking would be in slight jeopardy" ?? If we lose and UK doesn't we won't be #1 any more.

KUFan90 4 years, 9 months ago

Derek Conway 4 years, 9 months ago

** This is very good news! This is the first thing about X possibly staying another year or two that I've heard. Hell yeah!!! **

tdomine 4 years, 9 months ago

Anyone else going to this game? My son and I are road tripping from Dallas. This will be his 2nd 'Hawks game (he was under 1 when he saw KU in College Station, an excellent Wayne Simeon game). Rock Chalk in Stillwater! I'm making the mix CD right now. Nothing like a chicken sandwich at Eskimo Joe's and a Jayhawk victory.

KU 4 years, 9 months ago

The Pokes have a number of guys that can go off besides Anderson. They are one of the more athletic teams we will face (think aTm), but not terribly deep. Muonelo is their only consistent 3 point threat. Moses is an athletic load to handle down low if he's tuned in. We can't overlook the miniscule Paige--gotta keep him from going off from the 3 point line.

OSU isn't a terribly good offensive rebounding team, so if our first-shot defense is typically strong we should be in good shape on that end of the floor. OSU doesn't score a lot off assists, which tells you they generally generate offense either one-on-one (Anderson) or in transition. They don't create a lot of steals, so if we can eliminate our unforced turnovers, we can eliminate transition points for OSU. Then, their offense will be one-dimensional--one-on-one in the half-court. This puts the onus on X and Marcus to lock down James Anderson. Are they up to the task? The only way I can see OSU scoring over 65 is if Anderson goes off for 30+ or OSU hits 50% of their 3s and they take about 25 of them.

So the question is: can KU score 70 on the road in a tough environment in what could be a typical, slow-paced meat-grinder of a Big 12 game? OSU definitely has more incentive to win this game to ensure their NCAA tournament appearance. I suspect X will have a little more trouble scoring for two reasons: 1) OSU has the kind of strong, athletic wings that give X trouble, and 2) he's had a couple great games and is probably due to swing back to his average production. Collins and Taylor should be able to get in the lane easy enough. Can we finish a high percentage at the rim? Can we get Moses and Pilgrim in foul trouble early? I think the advantage we have on the offensive end in this game is the 4 and 5 spots. Cole and Marcus and Markieff need to be very solid on the offensive end to overcome a very athletic--if not terribly tall--OSU front line.

Tony Bandle 4 years, 9 months ago

I find it incredibly sad and ironic that one of the main reasons Xavier came to KU was to play with his brother CJ...and I'm sure it wasn't meant just in practice.

CJ's injury list is becoming alarmingly long as he falls farther and farther behind the other players on the team. Even if he comes back next year, he'll still be in no position to grab a lot of PT unless he shows a durability he hasn't had since his high school days.

I hope it works out but I'm beginning to have my doubts!!

Steve Brown 4 years, 9 months ago

option A: we win. Cole triple double SC leads in assists

option B: we stumble Cole foul trouble SC drives crowded lane, doesn't feed it ball bangs off rim, he lands on the floor like always, goes to line for one of two FT.

it appears that SC is increasing his TP per game yet has falling FG%. Maybe wrong, yet as it seems to me. No, I"m not down on our AAmerican just want perfection going into March.

Joe Baker 4 years, 9 months ago

light- SC is way over due for a breakout game. He's been too quiet for too long and if it's against OSU, we could see the clinic he held in Norman last year! He is so explosive and when he's hot, he's brimstone hot and the other team can't touch him. This is the kind of game he needs.

I'm excited to see who steps up for KU.

Who will it be?

Steve Gantz 4 years, 9 months ago

Going to OSU always scares me. Hopefully we handle our business like we should.

JHWK 4 years, 9 months ago

This will be a huge test for our toughness, no doubt. X will struggle, as he does against good teams. BUT MarcM will re-emerge as our scoring leader in this one, Cole's presence too much inside, and Sherron showing them what a senior leader should do.

I see TT really giving them fits as he creates in the lane. They are a good team, and very quick, but if we move without the ball, we'll have a LOT of open looks. Brady is in need of a good game off the bench, and this could be the perfect place for he and Tyrel to sit down the orange wave.

Rock Chalk! Have some cheese fries with ranch for me at Joe's!!

hawk316 4 years, 9 months ago

I love this answer by X in response to the question of whether or not he's planning to go to the NBA next season. Such a great kid! And he really seems to have a good head on his shoulders. Although some teams would probably draft him based on his potential, he would be much better served to have at least one more year (if not two) of development and experience at the college level.

MIZNIT 4 years, 9 months ago

model454pilot: Grow up. Maybe one day Garth Brooks can be as successful as you, and spend his lunch break posting on kusports.com

Ryan Shelton 4 years, 9 months ago

On the wall behind the lower section of seats it reads "Welcome to Historic Gallagher Iba Arena." If you have to advertise your venue as "Historic" then it is not.

I live just up the road from Stillwater and have heard it for two years ever since they beat us. I'm ready to silence my friends. RCJHGKU!

Ryan Shelton 4 years, 9 months ago

By the way, skip Joe's unless you want the cheese fries. If you like Italian, go to Joseppi's and order "The Stan." Great pizza.

HawkMuseum09 4 years, 9 months ago

I don't know if anyone has looked at the games for tomorrow. But worst case senario, Kentucky plays AT Tennessee, which I believe has upset wrote on it.

Mike Kendall 4 years, 9 months ago

HawkMusem09---I hope Tennessee wins!!!! They looked pretty good against South Carolina last night. The Gamecocks stuck with Kentucky until the very end.

100--- You said the OK fan site said: "Our perimeter defense is too tough for Collins, Taylor and Henry. There's a reason why Henry went to KU and didn't consider the Oklahoma schools -- because he is an awful passer and plays awful defense. We will eat their guards alive at the edges."

Blah, Blah, Blah!!!!! The fan site can't be serious?????? Somebody send that statement to the stinkin' locker room and make about 20 copies---tape some to the wall. Unlike the '08 game, this game is providing all kinds of motivation---I hope Hawks dominate---end of story!!!!

Tony Bandle 4 years, 9 months ago

hawkmuseum09.....what's so "worst" about that? The worst case scenario would be if we had to go into Tennessee and play them again!! :]

Well, one good thing for North Carolina and Roy, by not qualifying as they most surely won't [unless Dick Vitale threatens to talk non-stop on all broadcast channels], at least he dodges a year whereby there are absolutely no NCAA games from any round in the state of Carolina. Not so good for Duke, however!!

Although he denies it, I'm afraid Gallagher-Iba has a whammy hex on HCBS. Still to complete the triumph march through Manhattan, Austin, Stillwater and Columbia would be historic.

"MEET ME IN ST.LOUIS" for all you coming into town:

1] Make sure you get the best Italian food this side of Rome on "The Hill"

2] Stop at Ted Drewes for unbelievable frozen custard.

3] Visit one of the best Zoos in the world...and it's FREE!!!!!!

4] Go to the top of the Arch.[to get there you have to climb into a rounded car about the size of your dryer...but it's worth it]

5] Rockin' night hot spots areas include "The Landing","The Central West End" and "The Loop".

6] Oh yeah..come watch Kansas kick everyone's a$$!!!!

jaybate 4 years, 9 months ago

"Friday Assessing Cowboys: 9 Runts without Horses that Defend, Protect, and Shoot FTs Well Enough to Steal 19 Games"

Two 5'9" guards, a 6'5" trey shooter (Muonelo), a fine, 6'6" slasher (Anderson ) and 6'7" to 6'8" bigs, no post man worthy of significant minutes.

Score in mid 70s.

Defend in mid 60s.

Can't Shoot treys a lick except for Muonelo.

OS 35%. KU 40%

Excellent FT shooters.

OS 71% KU 69%

Play to stalemate on boards.

OS +2 KU +7.5

A Moderate Disruption Stat indicating they are careful with the ball, but can't really play pressure defense.

OS 168/342 = .491 KU 239/356 = .671

Weak Shot Blocking indicating KU is likely to smash them inside.

OS 70 KU 185

Expectation: Barring a big let down, KU should win by 20. But KU has had two straight red hot trey games, so KU is due for a very cool trey game. So modify to a 15 point win. Why so little? The likelihood of cool trey shooting is offset by KU's huge advantage inside, and KU's vastly better Disruption.

jaybate 4 years, 9 months ago

OSU should sag big time in the beginning and let KU have the trey to see if KU is on or off. If KU is off, OSU should alternate between a sagging m2m and a zone to give KU some recognition problems. Defensive recognition has been a weakness of KU.

As per usual in Self's take what they give us ball, KU will counter by sampling exactly what it is given--the outside game, but Self will also be encouraging Tyshawn and Sherron to get to the rim against OSU's short guards by resorting to pick and roll to open the middle for Sherron and Tyshawn to go wild. But, again, this will only occur in the eventuality of dense pack defense. If OSU tries to guard the trey stripe at all, KU kills OSU with Hi-lo and motion offense running through the bigs. What ever OSU decides to concede to KU, Self will be riding the bigs hard to stick back any sloppy seconds.

If trifectation and perimeter driving clicks, KU will keep taking what is given. If not, KU will quickly begin to force play directly through its bigs with repeated post feeds, where enormous match-up advantage exists in size, quality and depth, and try to crush OSU ASAP.

Tyshawn should be called upon to take his shorter, slower man to the rim repeatedly early on in order to get Tyshawn a lot more work in this regard. The last four games Ty has show more willingness to go up and make contact around the rim; i.e., less soft fading on drives. It gets him stuffed more, but it also makes him much more effective when he gets free. And since we've got Board Monsters, getting stuffed is not much to worry about. Our bigs will glassvac what does not fall,or gets deflected. Ty needs to get as much contact from driving as he can stand this game, to get him ready for the violence vs. KSU. You can tell he still is not sure he can handle it, but his juevos are getting bigger the more he tries and survives the hard shots.

Sherron should also be getting to the rim, while popping a few treys outside, because of OSU's early sagging to see if KU is hot or cold. Sagging defense, contrary to popular opinion, create penetration opps precisely because of the sagging. Actually getting to the rim is harder against the sag, but when one has KU grade bigs to dish to on the penetration against the sag, it can be a turkey shoot when handled correctly. And it goes without saying, Sherron can probably score at will taking his short defender to the rim, or shooting over him for floaters and treys. Sherron's biggest problem will be to avoid getting bored at playing dwarfs.

jaybate 4 years, 9 months ago

Who gets James Anderson; that's the big question? Will it be Marcus or Xavier? Anderson will probably be playing a small 4, so Marcus will probably draw Anderson. But Anderson's speed and quickness will really test Marcus' footwork. Marcus could have much more trouble with Anderson, than he had with Damion James, who muscles more and slashes less. Xavier may be the better match up defensively on Anderson, but that would leave Marcus 25 feet from the basket guarding Muonelo, which is not optimal, but on the other hand affordable, since Cole is going to have the glass to himself much of the time.

Defending James Anderson will make clear to NBA scouts whether Marcus, or X, is anywhere near ready defensively for the L. X would probably do the better job on Anderson 15 feet and out. Marcus from 15 feet and in.

Being defended by James Anderson will also make clear to NBA scouts, whether Marcus, or X, is ready to offend in the L. I suspect Anderson could hold X nearly scoreless were he assigned to X. Anderson is strong defensively in every way that troubles X's offense. Anderson will have a lot more trouble with Marcus size and strength inside, though Anderson is well suited to taking away Marcus high post dribble drive that has been so effective the last few weeks.

Muonelo defending X will be no rest stop for X. Muonelo is not Anderson, but he is sound. And he is nearly as tall as X. And he jumps a little. And he makes X guard him. And those things add up to problems for X, judging from previous game performances.

Cole is the logical player to play through offensively to dominate OSU. Cole could probably beast for 30 points against OSU, but I'm guessing Self will hold his minutes down if he can, even though the next game is not till Wednesday vs. KSU.

jaybate 4 years, 9 months ago

I expect Kieff to have a very good game against OSU's small bigs filling for both Marcus and Cole, though his minutes may get curtailed, because Self now has full trust in Kieff's game, and a great need to try to get Withey, and or TRob, enough minutes to make them credible first half seven minute men for Cole the first game of two game NCAA tourney weekends. And I think Self has to try to prep both Withey and TRob, because Withey is the right Cole back up for huge postmen, and TRob is the right Cole back-up for mobile post men. Don't get me wrong. Kieff is better than either one as a back-up for Cole, based on play so far, but preparation of Withey and TRob are about preparing for worst case fouling and injury scenarios; so they will get a shot of scoring separation permits.

Is this the game Elijah finally resurfaces? Maybe, maybe not. I suspect so, if KU separates. Not if not. The object is to win this game at whatever cost to clinch the conference championship and maximize seeding. But Elijah playing against OSU is a good place for getting Elijah some poppin' fresh minutes for a couple reasons. Elijah playing against some 5'9" guards could give him a chance to do some good things offensively without TOs. It could also make his defensive lapses less costly, because his height advantage would help him cover their penetrations. And because the OSU guards can't shoot the trey, Elijah could sag off a lot and minimize blow-bys. I still suspect Self is saving Elijah for something, and not merely mop up minutes. He has in at least one recent interview included Elijah, along with Withey and TRob, as guys who have to be ready to give KU a big lift during some big game down the stretch, when one or two players on the perimeter has early foul trouble, or an injury. I do not believe Self can reasonably expect Elijah to be ready to do that without giving him some more game time. That time will be given once the conference is clinched for sure. OSU would be a convenient team to give him his first minutes in awhile, should separation permit.

jaybate 4 years, 9 months ago

How to stop OSU? Stop Anderson. A general would say: Anderson is the head. Cut the head off and the body dies. Self, and his truly devout defensivists, love trying to shut down, or at least make fine players inefficient. Look for Anderson to be guarded very tightly and to seem like he's breaking lose but to suddenly find a big weighting for him.

To summarize, upsets, like fecal matter, happen, and Self has struggled occasionally with his alma mater. But the emotions of returning have diminished through repetition, as he says, and this OSU team is no longer coached by an Eddie Baller, which tends to produce weird outcomes, when Eddie Ball is pitted against Eddie Ball, as I have noted several times before.

So, the worst case scenario vs. OSU I can foresee should be a grind it out game on a cold KU trey shooting night against an opponent that rarely turns the ball over, hits most FTs you give them, but cannot apply real pressure, and relies on shaking its star, Anderson, loose for 22 ppg, or more.

Rock Chalk!

HawkMuseum09 4 years, 9 months ago

mikendal and OakvilleJHawk,

I was going with the situation we stumble into the Pokes tomorrow and get sent home packing. Logically, I don't think the Hawks will. We have found our identity, I believe. It's win, at any cost possible. And that's what we have done since Tennessee. Just win.

Rock Chalk

Alec White 4 years, 9 months ago

DBlock just got called up from the DLeague after Shaq was injured...he also produced 34 points and 13 rebounds in his only game since he was demoted...just thought I would post that cause I know a lot of fans want to keep up with our Hawks' in the NBA

afilmer 4 years, 9 months ago

thanks rock chalk 25 - DJ will always be one of the great hawks!

jaybate 4 years, 9 months ago

"A Comment on Tyrel Reed's Allegedly Shrinking Role:"

Now hear this: TR is now shooting 44% from trey.

Let me repeat that: TR is now shooting 44% from trey.

Note also that his defense has continued to improve all season long until now his footwork and spacing and angles and physical strength are good enough to let him prevent blow by's against most any opposing two, who is not an excellent trey shooter that can also put it on the deck. This progress has to be a combination of his relentless work ethic, continued Hudy-izing and physical maturity. Remarkably, TR seems to have physically matured a considerable amount just since October.

So: why have Ty's minutes gone down?

For the same reason's Kieff's have gone down.

Self is now so confident in both their games that Self is now giving some of their minutes to guys who need work.

Note: TR and Kieff are not being punished. They are being asked to play less for a short stretch, so that some green wood can be seasoned for worst case scenario eventualities, and so, in Tyshawn's case, a guy who spent 3/4 of the season in the toughening box, can reacclimate to a regular, functional team role.

More specifically, TR's minutes have increasingly gone to Brady (who missed first semester play) and to Tyshawn to try to, as I said, reflate him after the several month deflation Tyshawn was put through.

Brady got the minutes early. Now Brady and Tyshawn get the minutes, because KU is playing a few teams where Tyshawn offers acute match-up advantage, because of his speed, and that makes an ideal window for his reintroduction to normal reality. :-)

But when KU plays better teams, TR's minutes will go back up.

But, jaybate, why? TR isn't nearly as fast as Tyshawn and Brady. He should play less against the top teams.

Because Tyshawn's a pronounced offensive threat only against teams with less speed and size on the perimeter and without heavy muscle.

jaybate 4 years, 9 months ago

When KU plays teams with defenders that can counter Tyshawn's speed with either speed or brutality, then KU sooner or later has to default to an inside/outside game to get scoring out of the 2. If the counter is speed, then Brady gets the call, because Brady can basically guard anyone Tyshawn can, and Self has to hope Brady comes out of his shooting slump (now only 39%). If the opponent neutralizes Tyshawn with muscle, then TR gets the call, because he's bulked up enough and improved his footwork enough, that his 44% accuracy on kick-outs, and his stripping ability, is positively addictive to Self.

I expect to see TR's minutes ramp back up starting with KSU, unless KU clinches vs OSU and Self decides to use the KSU game to get Elijah some minutes. But frankly, watching TR's defense against OU, and his 44% trifectation, it is increasingly clear why Elijah became so marginalized this season. Self loves a gun! :-)

And next year TR, with an off-season of his usual relentless grinding toward getting better, is going to be even tougher to keep off the floor, not less so.

I doubted this at first, because I doubted TR could ever improve his defense to this point and I thought his best chance would come with a team with a center like Cole.

But if you look at next year's team, and next year's bigs, even with Xavier, there's just no one that can play low mistake ball with adequate defense that can also pot the triceratop at 44%, at the 1 or the 2. No one, not even Brady; that's kind of chilling to a coach who has been spoiled by ubiquitous rain makers this year.

And if Xavier leaves, along with Sherron, and with no other serious trinitizer in the wings other than Brady, Tyrel is likely to see more PT next year rather than less, because his defense will get incrementally better by next year.

Tyrel Reed is an amazing example of how a gifted natural three point shooter can keep a ferociously competitive natural athlete lacking great athleticism in the mix long enough for him to keep "getting better" incrementally until he is, kind of like crab grass, simply impossible to get rid of.

I love it.

Tyrel Reed hanging with the 5 stars, while they get there work in!

The complexity of life, and intensely goal oriented behavior of individual, often yields amazing unforeseen consequences.

Rock Chalk!

Post Script: Tyshawn could, of course, virtually eliminate Tyrel's, or Brady's minutes, if Tyshawn could just drive himself to be a 40% trey shooter. I hope he does for his sake, because Tyshawn is such a wonderful athlete in so many other ways. But so long as basketball is played with a ball and a hoop, and a three point line, great three pointing, like great speed, are going to be great advantages to whomever possesses them.

Tony Bandle 4 years, 9 months ago

Hypothetical question at 3:20 pm on a Friday when I can't pick up the friggin' USA Hockey Slaughter of Finland......with KU @ Okie State, UK at Tennessee, Purdue hosting Mich. St without a star player and Syracuse playing #7 'Nova, it is conceivable that everybody could lose this weekend......if so, will everything stay the same in the polls???

[ my guess is that North Carolina will move up to at least third : } ]

Studogg 4 years, 9 months ago

Reading the comments from X, I get the sense he still really WANTS to jump to the NBA after this season; but he would be WILLING to stay another year. If he continues to improve, I don't think we'll see him in uniform at AFH next year...On another "related" note you have to wonder if we'll ever see CJ Henry impact this team; guy just can't stay healthy.

okiedave 4 years, 9 months ago

The press down this way is dwelling on two aspects of the KU - OSU matchup:

1. K.U.'s national championship team loss at Gallagher-Iba arena in '08.

2. K.U.'s program problems,i.e. fight with the football team, Taylor's facebook, Morningstar's DUI, and generally playing up Self's problem with his team.

3. OSU does not need to "Beware of the Phog" at Gallagher-Iba.

KU should win this matchup but needs to - Beware of the cows**t for all those who enter Gallagher-Iba. It's everywhere - I was there for the '08 loss.

Steve Brown 4 years, 9 months ago

RC25 Thanks for heads up:

CLEVELAND - The Cavaliers today recalled forward Darnell Jackson from the Erie BayHawks of the NBA Development League.

Earlier in the day the Cavs announced that center Shaquille O'Neal would not be available for tonight's game in Toronto after suffering a sprained right thumb in Thursday's game at Boston. The Cavs are hoping Jackson can get to Toronto in time for tonight's game at 7.

Jackson and Danny Green were assigned to Erie on Wednesday and played in the BayHawks' 114-108 victory over the Dakota Wizards on Thursday. Jackson led Erie with 34 points on 14-22 shooting. He had 12 rebounds, 2 assists, 4 steals and 1 blocked shot in 42 minutes.

UncleMiltyN 4 years, 9 months ago

Thinking about the division of minutes next year is interesting....especially if X and Marcus stay. I think they should stay one more year for development reasons, but if they're projected high enough they should get outa here.

Taylor, Morningstar, Reed, CJ, Woolridge, Elijah Releford, Little, Xavier McMorris, MkMorris, Withey, TRob

I really don't know. It's more difficult than this year because we knew who was starting at center, pg, and pf.

If X goes - 1 - Taylor (backup - Elijah or healthy CJ) 2 - Brady (backup - Reed and/or healthy CJ) 3 - Little (backup - Releford or McMorris) 4 - McMorris (backup - MkMorris and TRob) 5 - Withey (backup - MkMorris

?

BeakofLight 4 years, 9 months ago

Pardon the cliche, but just some food for thought:

1. Okies will always be...well, Okies

You know, the esteemed prodginy of Appalachian lineage

1. Does anyone know why Okie St chose orange for their school color?

Anyone?

DING-DING-DING!!!

Thats right!!!

Because orange was the most logical choice as Okies can wear their orange shirt all week long: a shirt for work on highway crews; a shirt for hunting; and a shirt for gamedays

1. And for the record okie, the KU tradition is making Bill Self your prodigal son...not vice versa

Get it straight, Bill Self is not putting KU on the map, KU is putting him in the record books

Put that in your lip and chaw on it Okie

docileboy 4 years, 9 months ago

Easy there BeakofLight, as there are many Jayhawk fans that live in Oklahoma, even the coach (Self) and at least one player (X) is from Oklahoma. Running other people down will not make you better.

100 4 years, 9 months ago

10:38 AM ET 02.25 | From ESPN:

"In his recent NBA book, Bill Simmons writes about the great what-ifs in NBA history. Historical counterfacts are never not fun. Unless you're John Calipari.

To what do I refer? The simple, now-evident question: What if Jerry West hadn't talked Calipari out of drafting Kobe Bryant?

It's true. According to Roland Lazenby's new West biography, Calipari wanted to take Kobe with the No. 8 pick in the 1996 NBA draft, and West, deeply fond of Bryant's potential, managed to talk him out of it: First West had to take the huge gamble of trading veteran center Vlade Divac to the Charlotte Hornets for their thirteenth pick in the draft. Then he learned that John Calipari, the coach of the New Jersey Nets, planned to take [Kobe] Bryant with the eighth pick before the Lakers could snare him at thirteen.

"Jerry wanted Kobe, so he basically called up and talked Cal out of drafting Kobe," explained Hal Wiseel, who was with the Nets at the time. West encouraged the Bryant family to talk to Calipari and explain that their son really wanted to play for the Lakers. “He knew if we didn’t take him at eight, he’d drop to Charlotte, and he could make the deal with Charlotte,” Wissel recalled. “Cal was young in the league and, hey, it’s Jerry West on the phone."

(continued)

100 4 years, 9 months ago

(continued)

"Triple oof. Of course, it took a couple of years for Kobe Bryant to become Kobe Bryant, so there's no guarantee Calipari would have saved his NBA livelihood merely by standing up to West and taking Bryant with that eighth pick. Still, by 1999 -- the end of Cal's Nets tenure -- Kobe was starting to look like an elite player, and had he been able to excel for the Nets in short order, it just might have prevented Calipari from eventually heading back to college basketball with his tail between his legs. Which, of course, would have kept Memphis from regaining its elite status, and which almost certainly would have kept Calipari from eventually landing at his current home, Kentucky.

All this said, the tail is still between Cal's ex-NBA legs on this entire NBA debacle, & certainly helps to explain Lebron James, Wes Anderson, Demarcus Cousins & the future Nets owner having backdoor biweekly meetings over the last several weeks.

If Cal goes back to Jersey, this time, he won't be skunked by West. In fact his team and ownership will be far superior to anything West could have ever dreamed.

Let's enjoy Calipari in college ball for a few more games because it is indeed like watching a magician who learns about draft stocks at every turn. And he, amazingly, coaches an NBA style offense & as close to an NBA man to man help defense as you'll see in the college game.

To those not paying attention, watch who he likes to talk about. Watch how carefully he responds to questions about the NBA. Watch his eyes shift as he says "where else would I go?"

Friends, this is not girl scout cookie making class, this is a business: and a big one at that. Calipari is not as "blank eyed" as we want to think when he shifts from troubling questions to a boyish grin.

Calipari has set himself up for a Phil Jackson type 12 year run of NBA championships with the New Jersey Nets and more gold and marketing than Cleopatra herself could have ever imagined."

slubert 4 years, 9 months ago

Not sure if anyone read this, but what a joke! This guy does not deserve to coach in the NCAA. It's like watching a train wreck as he destroys program after program. Glad we have HCBS and not a sleazy used car salesman playing coach.

100 4 years, 9 months ago

slubert, that is exactly how an NBA coaches a team.

Concerned about playoff seed, no conference title, no conference tourney to worry about.

I'm sure the SEC commissioner is just loving seeing John Calipari take a shart on their trophies & league.

John Calipari to SEC Commissioner official Translation: "The SEC means nothing."

FreddyinLA 4 years, 9 months ago

This looks like a "trap" game to me. Clinched a tie for Big 12, t-shirts already printed, Nat. TV, on road, against decent team, big game next Wednesday against K State. Hope I'm wrong.

Keith Kienzle 4 years, 9 months ago

..Making me reminisce on some of our other lopsided losses... Nebraska by 19 the game after that Ok.St game in 2003-2004 hurt much worse...

Then there was the Villanova game, while not a conference game, was in the middle of conference play and a loss by 21, and our first loss of the season in 2004-2005 (14-1).

And finally the one that came to mind first was losing to Texas Tech by 19 last year. I kind of enjoyed that considering we embarassed the hell out of Pat Knight (I think by 59) the year before, and he really needed that win.

FreddieinLA,

It is always interesting to spec on trap games, as you have, so I will too..

The trap game will not be OSU. It will be KSU.

KU can clinch the title against OSU and so will probably go for it. I would not be surprised to see Self juice the team way up to get the clinch out over ASAP. The result will be OSU taking a pretty severe beating.

IMHO KSU will be the trap game. KU has already whipped KSU at Octosilo. KU will have very little to gain by beating KSU again, plus KU will be coming off a juiced Saturday performance at Stillwater. And KSU will have everything to gain and nothing to lose. KSU got seriously out-muscled by KU in the Octosilo. Commandante Martinez will pull out all the muggings for this one.

And there you have it...at least my spec.

djchawk 4 years, 9 months ago

No way Jay!

We will not lose to KSU in Allen. Senior Night. Sherron's last home game. 58 game win streak on the line. KU wins.

On a side note, I'm going to the OSU game. My daughter is, regrettably, an OSU alum. But I'm happy to be attending the game with her. We'll win that one, too.

Any of you other guys going to that game, look for me. I'll be wearing blue, glasses, and really thin hair! Quite possibly some chili and cheese on my shirt.

Chad Hallack 4 years, 9 months ago

Jaybate... a slight interjection here. I agree that we are more likely to lose to the Violet Brigade than OSU. However, by definition, the OSU contest is a potential "trap game" and the VB game is not. I could explain in more detail, but your supreme intellect will move you to discern the obviousness of the truth. (i say that with a smile) Have a great weekend!

Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!!

Also... Calimari proudly announced today that winning the SEC title means "Nothing" to him. Discuss...

djchawk and hallacek,

It is good to hear from two KU fans with fully haired chests, or bronze, knockered-breast plates, as the case may be, on this fine Saturday morning in phase space.

I was speccing on what would be a trap game. I did not intend to leave the impression that I believed KU would fall in the trap. :-)

The truth is I expect KU to win both places and to go undefeated and win the ring. In fact, I am confident. Any team can trip up, as our team learned in that most unlikeliest of games in Pearlville, TN, but this team is the only team in the country that game in and game out gets to play with all the pieces that a champion should have. I don't see how anyone that has worked for their money could ever bet against our Jayhawks this season, considering the competition around the country.

My computer desktop already reads "KU: 39-1" and has since it I changed it from "KU: 40-0".

Its nice not having to change one's desktop often in a season. :-)

Go future '2010 national champions.

Rock Chalk!