Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Three Kansas football players invited to NFL Combine

Three former KU football players — Kerry Meier, Dezmon Briscoe and Darrell Stuckey — were invited to the NFL Combine.

Former Kansas University receivers Dezmon Briscoe and Kerry Meier and safety Darrell Stuckey have been invited to participate in the NFL Combine, held Feb. 24 through March 2 in Indianapolis, Ind., the school announced Tuesday.

Briscoe, who decided to forgo his senior season to enter the NFL Draft, is coming off a junior season in which he caught 84 passes for 1,337 yards and nine touchdowns and was named first-team all-Big 12 by the league's coaches and was a third-team all-American selection by The Sporting News.

Meier set a school record with 102 receptions last season, finishing the year with 985 yards and eight touchdowns and was a second-team all-Big 12 selection. After making the transition from quarterback following his red-shirt freshman season, Meier went on to log school records for career receptions (226), season receptions (102 in 2009) and game receptions (16 vs. Iowa State in 2009) from the receiver position.

Stuckey, who turned in a game-high seven tackles during last month's East-West Shrine Game, concluded his career with 295 career tackles, the second-most by a Kansas defensive back in school history. He earned all-Big 12 first-team honors in 2008, and was an honorable-mention selection after finishing with 93 tackles last fall.

The three are vying to become the first Kansas players drafted into the NFL since defensive back Aqib Talib (first round), offensive lineman Anthony Collins (fourth round), Derek Fine (fourth round) and Marcus Henry (sixth round) were selected following the 2007 season.

No Kansas players were taken in last year's draft.

Comments

d_prowess 7 years, 10 months ago

Maybe I am just having a tough day and am irritable, but is it really appropriate to say that these three are "vying to become the first Kansas players drafted into the NFL..." since the 2007 draft? I mean it was only a one year break. It isn't like we haven't had anyone drafted in 5-10 years. Just seems a weird way to say it since it reads like we have experienced a many year drought!

milehighhawk 7 years, 10 months ago

Uh, I think the "2007" part of the statement clears that up.

Lonnie Ross Dillon 7 years, 10 months ago

I agree with d_prowess. It's become a crutch phrase of the media to say "first since...". makes sense when it has truly been a while, but to say "first since 2007" really has no punch. Is it accurate? Yes. But does it really say anything? It's like saying at 2pm "I haven't had anything to eat since lunch".

bad_dog 7 years, 10 months ago

Perhaps the motive for the statement lies as much in where the author graduated...

I think DA is a pretty good writer at times, however, he does seem to try to get subtle digs in at times-they seem a little non-sensical otherwise.

Maybe it's just me...

Brett Gaul 7 years, 10 months ago

I thought you had to be a senior to be at the Combine?

bayareajhawk 7 years, 10 months ago

I'm with you bad_dog. Dugie does try to slip in subtle little jabs at KU here and there. Nothing like biting the hand that feeds you, eh?

jhokfan 7 years, 10 months ago

I fully expect to see Dezmon and Darrell playing on Sunday next year. Kerry, I'm not completely sold on.

Dan Pawlowski 7 years, 10 months ago

Kerry will be playing on Sunday next year. Mark my word. Great Athlete, Great possession receiver. There are plenty of teams that can use him . They can't all be speedy guys afraid to go over the middle.

LAjay1996 7 years, 10 months ago

MandoMax- No Reesing, Fatboy ruined him like he did every football players passion for football. Playing hiim injured and not telling anyone, What a damn injustice to the best QB in KU history...

d_prowess 7 years, 10 months ago

For the record, I don't think Duggie intentionally wrote the line I criticized as jab at KU. It was just a funny way to say that.

Jhawk59 7 years, 10 months ago

Someone over at the Phog posted this video showing some of the seniors working out with a trainer for the NFL Combine

KURocksChalk 7 years, 10 months ago

I like Meier's chances. He will bring an attitude seldom seen in the NFL. He is a great team guy and is worth the money just because of how he can rub off on others. Have heard some say that he might be big enough and strong enough to play TE. If so, he could be one of the best TE's in the NFL with his athleticism, great hands and comparative speed. I think he has the potential to be in the NFL a very long time.