Wednesday, February 10, 2010

KU’s Self on doorstep of win 400

Kansas head coach Bill Self grabs the attention of his players during the second half against UCLA, Sunday, Dec. 6, 2009 at Pauley Pavilion. Self is about to embark on the recruitment trail for most of the month of July.

Kansas basketball torches Texas

The Jayhawks showed up on Monday and took care of business surprisingly easily against the Longhorns. The No. 1 Jayhawks remain undefeated in the Big 12.

Bill Self has won 399 games in 17 seasons as an NCAA Div. I men’s basketball coach.

But who’s counting?

Not Self, who says it’ll be business as usual when the Jayhawks take on Iowa State with his personal milestone victory No. 400 on the line at 7 p.m. Saturday in Allen Fieldhouse.

“Trust me, the only reason I’m interested in us, our staff, winning our 400th game is because that means we would have won our next game. I could care less about that stuff,” said seventh-year KU coach Self, who picked up his 399th victory against 146 losses (73.2 percent) on Monday night at Texas.

“It’s no big deal at all, trust me,” Self added.

Somebody in KU’s traveling party informed Self after Monday’s 80-68 victory over the Longhorns that a milestone was on the immediate horizon.

“When we started out losing 18 in a row and (went) 6-21 and 10-17 at ORU, we were hoping we could get to 100,” Self said.

It was indeed rocky at the beginning at Oral Roberts University, where Self finished his four-year tenure with 18-9 and 21-7 seasons. He went 74-27 in three years at Tulsa, 78-24 three years at Illinois, to go with his 192-41 mark at Kansas.

Self now has won 82.4 percent of his games at KU, best percentage of any coach not named Karl Schlademan, who went a perfect 1-0 (100 percent).

Roy Williams, the only other KU coach who won more than 80 percent of his games, went 418-101 in 15 seasons (80.5).

Self’s Jayhawks are putting up some mind-numbing numbers.

The Jayhawks have won 55 straight home games, second-best streak in KU history behind the 62-game streak in the Williams era that ran from February of 1993 to December of ’98.

Overall, Self’s teams have 122 home victories against six losses.

The six defeats were all close games.

KU fell to Texas A&M by three points, Oral Roberts by seven (2006-07), Kansas State by four, Nevada by two (2005-06), Iowa State by two in overtime (2004-05) and Richmond by one (2003-04).

In his first six seasons here, Self won one NCAA title, five straight Big 12 titles and three conference tourney titles. KU at 9-0 has a three-game lead in this year’s conference chase.

Self’s KU teams are 98-21 in Big 12 play, with a 49-3 record in the fieldhouse, unheard of 38-15 record on the road and 11-3 mark in conference tourney action.

Self was asked about the victories starting to “pile up” at KU.

“I don’t know about that,” he said, “but when you have good players you should win games. To me, we’ve had as good a players as anybody.”

Two of Self’s players say they will try to make sure KU takes care of business Saturday in giving their coach his 400th victory.

“That’s the first I’ve heard of it. I’m sure we will do our best to get that done,” junior Brady Morningstar said.

“That’ll be a lot of motivation,” senior Sherron Collins said. “We didn’t know about that. Coach probably wouldn’t be one to tell us. That’ll be more motivation to get the win.”

Recruiting: Self was in Wichita on Tuesday night to watch Perry Ellis lead his Wichita Heights team to a 67-54 victory over Wichita Southeast.

Ellis, a 6-8, 210-pound sophomore small forward, scored 20 points and grabbed 12 rebounds. He had three blocks and four crowd-pleasing dunks. Ellis according to Rivals.com already has scholarship offers from KU, Kansas State, Kentucky, Memphis, Oklahoma and Wichita State. Arizona, North Carolina, Stanford, Oklahoma State, Tennessee and Texas also have shown great interest.

Inching closer to Carolina: KU entered the season with 1,970 all-time victories, third-best mark of any school. The Jayhawks trailed North Carolina by 14 games and Kentucky by 18. Currently, KU has 1,993 victories, just four behind UNC’s 1,997. Kentucky has 2,011.

Comments

deckbd 4 years, 9 months ago

Absolutely amazing that we have gained 10 games on UNC already this season and have a very good chance to pass them for 2nd all-time.

Adam Evans 4 years, 9 months ago

there is a really good article in the KCStar about the wins thing. The one comment that really stuck out was The worst case scenario for passing UNC on the wins list is UNC going to the NIT. They could easily win that tournament (where they would be one or two and outs in the NCAAs), where KU will have a much more difficult time winning the NCAA title.

Also from that article, it's a guarantee that UNC, UK, and KU will all get their 2010th win during the year 2010. kinda cool.

Ben Kane 4 years, 9 months ago

first off, it's unlikely UNC will win the NIT. Second, who really cares. Total wins do not equal tradition. Games played each year continue to rise and that will always let modern teams gain ground. If you look at the total win statistic broken down over every 25 years or so you find that the leader has constantly bounced around but only one school has been in the discussion throughout history and that is Kansas!

Mike Kendall 4 years, 9 months ago

Chuck--

I agree with your "second"-----who cares?! I mean it will be a nice milestone and all, but my interest is consistency, year-in, year-out. Plus, making the Final Four is your ultimate goal, and, then, winning the darn thing!

NH_JHawk 4 years, 9 months ago

IMO, it's more impressive that Bill Self will win his 400th game in his 17th season vs. Roy in his 15th. Of course it's harder get to that milestone when you have teams like ORU and Tulsa on your resume vs. starting your head coaching career at Kansas. Not taking anything away from Roy as he is a fantastic coach (best ever, IMO, before Self) but Self's accomplishment is truly amazing. Coach Self, it really is a big deal.

Martin Rosenblum 4 years, 9 months ago

Who's taking odds on what time the first pro-KY comment will be posted to this article?

Steve Brown 4 years, 9 months ago

arals if NIT didn't count, St. John's Redmen (used to be called) would losse half their games. (well a big chunk) as St. John's used to be in 3rd place back when we were 4th on the all time list. They dominated the home town post season NIT often, back when it was just a big deal as the little NCAA tournament. It had the east coast tradition.

We used to congrats a coach for a 20 win season, as we played lot less games. So 21-5 was a good year.

The 1st goal is to win the conference and HCBS has 5-6 in a row: amazing feat.

The next plateau is the post season tourney. I"m old school liked it when it was the Big 8 preseason Holiday Tournament at old KC Muni or Kemper. It was a warm up or preview of the regualr season. Now, the postseason tournament is a play in to get more big conf. teams into the dance. Money for sure, from TV, but often wears you out with 3-4 straigth games just a weekend prior to the real Tournament. Several Roy's teams had tired legs from this.

2nd goal getting to final four takes really good talent playing at high level.

3rd goal ultimate prize takes talent + execution + some good fortune, Memphis missing FT or Stephon missing 3 pt. shot. the bounce of the ball....

let's play ball.

FairgroveJayhawk 4 years, 9 months ago

Looks like Collins got his motivation for the week. He's hungry!

memhawk, the ky fan base must have had a brother/sister dance last night,

Steve Brown 4 years, 9 months ago

luck is when preparation meets opportunity.

let's create our own good fortune...lace 'em up boys, play ball.

Sweet_Sandbags 4 years, 9 months ago

Just awesome stats for Coach Self. It would be outstanding to see those continue for another 15+ years here.

On the total wins thing, whatever. More important to all of us is hopefully closing the national championship gap with UK and UNC which I currently believe stands at 7 to 5 to 3, respectively (excluding Helms). Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Number 4 this April and second in 3 years would be so impressive, especially with what has happened to Florida and UNC after their most recent titles. Again, props to Coach Self and the team on maintaining the elite.

As always, nice to see Ol' Roy recruiting the entire nation, just like while he was here. JK

RCJGKU

3GJayhawk 4 years, 9 months ago

Collins owns Wall Morris owns Patterson Aldrich owns Cousins and Patterson Self owns Calipari

bradynsdad 4 years, 9 months ago

congrats to self. he is a class act and deserves it. at the rate he is winning and his age he will for sure be up there with the all time great coaches.

Ben Kane 4 years, 9 months ago

yes, while I don't care at all about total wins, this is a great accomplishment for coach Self. even if he won't admit it :)

Steve Brown 4 years, 9 months ago

If you use the link by KUGuyinTarland: pls note the UNC home game v. FSU is actually a toss up.

I used to support UNC & KY as they were connected to the Kansas vine of BB via Doc Allen. Now I've mixed emotions, want them to do well, so well that I'd be pleased if they made the elite eight darn near every year. Go Cats Go Heels.

Not that 2,000 means anything, yet possible the MU game in COlumbia will have extra meaning, like that's possible. Are you friggin' kiddin me, of course it means nothing it's just a number but we'll fight over it as we are KANSAS and competitive and clawing back our rightful place in college bball kingdom. The top dawg not one of the top three dawgs.

repeat after me, Kansas basketball the winning team in college basketball history, practice it for that day soon when you can say it out loud.

Thank you HCBS for your standard of excellence. Not good but great.

Steve Brown 4 years, 9 months ago

Kansas the team with most wins in college basketball all time.

sorry blind can't edit....

yates33333 4 years, 9 months ago

you don't need to tell us that Self is a great, great coach.

Dyrk Dugan 4 years, 9 months ago

400 wins total...and Coach Self is getting very close to 200 wins at Kansas. if he stays a long time, and finishes his career at KU, he should be able to break Phog's all time record...and with another national title or two, go down as KU's greatest coach.

Lots of things have to happen right for all of this to take place, but it's very doable.

When he first was announced as the main candidate, i had my doubts, i'll admit. but Self is a great recruiter, a great player developer, a wonderful people person, and he emphasizes the basics of the game...and allows his players the freedom to make adjustments during a game.

Congrats Coach Self, the team is in the midst of another great season. Go Jayhawks!

jayhawkinnc 4 years, 9 months ago

I love it that Self is so humble about this upcoming milestone. Roy soaked it all up and basked in the glory when he got to 400 at home in '03 vs. Wyoming. Roy loved the attention. Self couldn't care less about win totals......it's great that he has no ego.

Heck, UNC may not even make the NIT! 13-10 right now. Still have 2 games vs. Duke, at Georgia Tech, at BC, vs. Florida State.....NIT only takes teams with winning records. I think UNC will still have a winning record when its season comes to an end, but it is possible Roy could have his first losing season ever as a collegiate head coach and quite possibly the most losses he's ever suffered in one season. he went 19-12 his first year at KU and 19-11 his first year at UNC.

floridajayhawks 4 years, 9 months ago

Good to see some motivation since ISU could be a let down game. I still worry that OSU will come calling again very soon and Self will go that way due to money. I hope he doesn't, want him to retire at KU but one never knows. I will send my congrats to Coach Self after Sat.

jayhawkinnc 4 years, 9 months ago

Self won't go to OSU. he has plenty of money working at KU. he knows he has the best college head coaching job in the country.

Mike Kendall 4 years, 9 months ago

3G Jayhawk---

Well said, my friend! I like someone who doesn't beat around the bush, who cuts to the chase and gets to the bottom line!!!!!!!!!!

jayhawkinATL 4 years, 9 months ago

I would love for us to beat UNC to No. 2000!!!

Mike Kendall 4 years, 9 months ago

Any comments on the Alabama/Kentucky game last night. Very unimpressed!!!!!!!!!! Alabama has to be one of the worst teams (in that they are young, too) in the SEC and they were taking it to Kentucky until late in the game. Wall almost got hurt, too. I am sure Kentucky fans were gasping for air when he got up gingerly. Kind of like when Marcus went back to the locker room in the Texas game. Watching this game last night, makes me believe that a Cinderella out there could upset Kentucky---that would be sweet!!!!!! I just believe experience in the tournament trumps youth and talent.

Also, this morning on Sports Center, did anybody see it? Bob Knight's Night School on Syracuse. He was doing the white board class session on why Syracuse's 3-2 zone defense was so tough. They have length, height and they move quite well in it, plus, their help-side defense is so good in it. He said a team has to have a point guard to split the two front defenders (uh, we have Sherron Collins) and draw two defenders on the ball and then, look for the gaps for the shot (uh, we have Tyrel, Brady, X and TT to bust the zone). Knight went on to say that you are not going to get the perfect, ideal shot in Syracuse's zone but the gaps are there if a team creates them.

Interesting. . . . . . . . . .

BCRavenJHawkfan 4 years, 9 months ago

Let's just win the next one. Brackins is always a threat and will be eager to avenge his last performance. And no doubt they will have some other unknown shooting savant performing a basketball version of "The Rainman".

WilburNether 4 years, 9 months ago

Ah, yes, the Nevada game, when Christian Moody made Nick Fazekas look like a Hall of Famer.

Steve Brown 4 years, 9 months ago

change is the only constant.

sorry folks: Coach will return to Stillwater someday, as he has big heart and the most loyal, payback kind of guy you can imagine. Don't get your panties in a tight wad it will be a long long time from now, but sure as day he will go

KANSTUCKY 4 years, 9 months ago

As long as we make the tournament every year and win our last game we should be fine. Nice job coach. We wouldn't trade you for anybody. Well, Megan Fox can't coach basketball.

bradynsdad 4 years, 9 months ago

on another note i have watched perry ellis play, he is good but has alot of work to do. he gets very easily outrebounded by guys a foot shorter than him. he has potential but kind of inconsistent. hopefully he will come along.

Mike Kendall 4 years, 9 months ago

Kanstucky--- Megan Fox is not very attractive!!!!!!!!!!

bradynsdad--- Self was in the house where Perry was playing last night---Wichita Southeast @ Wichita Heights. What I have seen of Perry-----he is not very aggressive right now and has lots to learn. But wasn't Cole Aldrich like that at one time? btw, I live in the Wichita area, so, Perry gets a lot of pub down here!

What's amazing is that Self wins his first game in Austin--gets home late---goes the next day to Wichita to watch Perry play! Ah, the life of a high-profile basketball program!!!!!!!

BCRavenJHawkfan 4 years, 9 months ago

mikendal: Roger that on Alabama/Kentucky. The other thing I scratch my head on is how has Kentucky been able to have what seams to be mostly home games against any type of competition? And you are very correct about any number of mid majors bouncing them out on their arsses. Look at where Cornell and Siena stand in their leagues. Many wanted to poo poo them when they pushed us (Cornell not Siena). Teams in these conferences have what you point out, experience in the form of seniors and upper classman. It stands to reason that if you can keep a core of 4 starters around for 4 years they are going to gel.

Also caught the Night School item. Absolutely correct on that zone. And I hope that those mid range jumpers of Marcus' could do damage if KU has to confront them.

BCRavenJHawkfan 4 years, 9 months ago

dynamitehawk: Help me out I'm not the brightest blogger around here......k-mart?

Kye Clark 4 years, 9 months ago

bradynsdad & mikendal - I live in Wichita (hence my handle) and am a graduate of Wichita Heights and have also seen Ellis play a few times including last night. I would agree that his play is somewhat inconsistent, but IMO he will be a beast. He's only a sophomore, and as a freshman led Heights to the state title and was the tournament's MOP. Think of X as a freshman...the kid is built like that, only a couple of inches taller. He's not the natural shooter that X is, he plays more on the inside, can put the ball on the floor, very impressive for a kid who, like I said, is only a sophomore. I really hope KU lands him.

Oh, and mikendal - Megan Fox is unbelievably attractive!!!!!!!!!!

Joe Baker 4 years, 9 months ago

mikendal- Surely you don't want Ol' Roy or Calasleazy recruiting Ellis? You being from Wichita (as am I), would die if Ellis signed with either of these coaches. It would be a major catastrope for Kansas b-ball hoops. We already lost freakin' Barnes and I accepted that because he was from Iowa, but to lose a true Jayhawk to the heels or the hillbillies would be a cardinal sin to Kansas.

The only other "possible" acceptable signing might be WSU or ksu! Even that would be offensive to KU. If HCBS did what you said, wins against UT and returns to Lawrence late, awakens to attend a Heights game in Wichita, says it all about CS's interest in this kid. I want a verbal from Ellis. Remember how young he is right now too. I get worried when these recruits wait very long to commit.

Tony Bandle 4 years, 9 months ago

122 and 6

That's sick!!!!!!!

At Kansas, it's a bad year if you go 16-2 at home!!

Can anyone in America match that home record over the last six and a half seasons??

Living in St.Louis, we are exposed to Illini basketball and I knew what a gem Bill Self was and when we got him I called every Jayhawk I knew and told them we just got the best young coach in America and National Championships were coming.

And the best part.......if Misery had offered him the job, he would have taken it. WHEW!!

dynamitehawk 4 years, 9 months ago

bc,

I read your Rainman reference, and every time I hear or think of Rainman I have an uncontrollable urge to say k-mart sucks. I am a jackass and can't help it.

dynamitehawk 4 years, 9 months ago

Sorry - it's a quote from the movie, The Rainman. I also like Jimmy Walker and quote him for some strange reason that I cannot understand either.

BMonstaC 4 years, 9 months ago

Congratulations to Coach Self and his staff and the amazing home record. 400 wins is a noteworthy accomplishment. Another one coming soon I think is the KU single season blocked shot mark. I believe Cole is only 8 blocks away from setting a new KU single season record. Hope it gets some notice-----I know he works hard on it, and I know he loves to block shots. Maybe both will come Saturday. Wouldn't that be nice! RCJH

Mike Kendall 4 years, 9 months ago

316--Point well taken!!!!! I need to watch Perry more because I think you have seen him more than I, and he is young. No arguments---he is a beast, for a sophomore.

93----- No, No, No---I definitely don't want Roy or Cal to get him. Hopefully, Perry does a history lesson on all the bigs that Self has recruited and have gone on to the highest level. I think it's great that Self has put a high priority on Perry---definitely, great!

RE: Megan Fox----Can someone put a picture of Tyrel's sister to Megan Fox, and then, I will reconsider!!!!!!!!!!!

BCRavenJHawkfan 4 years, 9 months ago

dynamitehawk: That's some detail about that movie that I was just not remembering, I do now. Thanks for the reference. And very funny by the way.

bradynsdad 4 years, 9 months ago

mikendal it was nice to see self and you are right he needs to be more agrresive. icthawk he is young thats why i hope he comes along nice. he does have two years and he will be a great talent if ku can land him. i hate seeing local kids go out of state.

Joe Baker 4 years, 9 months ago

Speaking of recruits I would really like to see this kid from Texas sign with KU. He's same class as Ellis.

He needs a dose of the D-Man!

Steve Gantz 4 years, 9 months ago

I hope KU and UNC win 2000 on the same night. That way all the idiot fans from both teams can't brag.

PAHAWK1 4 years, 9 months ago

If Ellis verbals to KU, he will definitely drop out of rankings from ESPNU terrific 25.

ku2004daniel 4 years, 9 months ago

3GJAYHAWK - I agree

but the polls say otherwise....then again it's the polls and an online poll at that (those online polls are easy to manipulate) but still we need more fans to use all the email addresses they gots and up our main man's vote total for the Bob Cousy Award! Vote! You're allowed to vote once every 24 hours. Don't worry I'll remind you! I've made this silly online poll my personal challenge for the month.

GO to www.cousyaward.com VOTE!

Studogg 4 years, 9 months ago

Fairgrove-

Brother/Sister dance!! Absolutely hilarious.

Mike Kendall 4 years, 9 months ago

wissoxfan83---- Yea, NC and KU getting 2000 on the same night is like a tie in college football when there were ties (remember when KU & K-State tied in football and nobody got the win!). It's like a brother kissing a sister, and all that jazz. It would be unique, though!

ParisHawk 4 years, 9 months ago

On UNC vs. KU getting to 2000 : kenpom.com , which predicts season records, sees us finishing the regular season with 1999 wins and UNC with 2000. We could equal or pass them during the conference championship tournaments.

On voting for the Cousy award : I don't think you really need a valid email address, I just voted with an address I made up. I'll bet the Harvard player is getting all the votes because some Harvard guy wrote a program to automate the voting process. I would do the same thing but I just got an iMac and tools such as AutoHotKey are not available. Any other programmers out there?

ParisHawk 4 years, 9 months ago

"NC and KU getting 2000 on the same night" is practically impossible during the regular season : we would have to run the table and get to 2000 on March 6th against Missouri, and on that date UNC plays AT DUKE, so forget it.

On the other hand, if we are both at 1999 at the end of the regular season we will both play on March 11th in our respective tournaments. We will likely play at 11:30 A.M. so we would get to 2000 a few hours before UNC.

theajayhawk 4 years, 9 months ago

On Bill Self being the best coach..couldn't agree more. However, I do believe KU is blessed with another individual just as good as any head coach - Coach Manning. He probably doesnt get the accoloades he deserves, but I cannot think of any assistant coach having the type of impact on the development of its players. We know about Aldrich...and the Morris Twins I believe were not in the top 20...look at them now. He is the reason we will continue to attract and develop big talent.
I dread every day if we are going to lose him to a head coaching job. Coach Self is young and I am not sure Coach manning can be happy just being an Asst. coach for the next 20 years... I am hoping genius Perkins can work something out...for the long haul

bigtimehawk 4 years, 9 months ago

Can some one help me out here? When did K-state beat us in AFH during the Self era?

brooksmd 4 years, 9 months ago

Ok, I've seen many posts that mention Tyrel's sister. Could somebody enlighten me on who she is, what she looks like, or where she sits during the games. Or is she one of the trainers? As far as the redhead behind the KU bench at the UT game, she was planted there to be a distraction. I know for a fact as she distracted me every time the camera was on her. Glad I taped it so I could freeze frame her. lol

New Orleans Saints -- World Champions (Has a nice ring to it) What a parade and party we had last night. Anyone notice we didn't destroy the city or burn any cars? We just like to party and have fun. Laissez les bons temps rouler.

Ron Franklin 4 years, 9 months ago

Oakville-

Ron Franklin 4 years, 9 months ago

big time hawk-

I think it was 2007 69-65.

jayhawkinATL 4 years, 9 months ago

I also am not impressed with UK...I've said on other blogs that they have three losses coming...all on the road: Tennessee, Vandy, and UGA.

4 years, 9 months ago

January 14th, 2006:

KSU 59 KU 55

I was at that game with my brother, who is a KSU grad. That was a tough one.

bigtimehawk 4 years, 9 months ago

Thanks BlownJay and txrock -

I must have repressed the memory of that game. But unfortunately I remember it now...

kranny 4 years, 9 months ago

After Kentucky gets put on probation for recruiting violations, KU will be 1st in all-time wins because Kentucky will have to forfeit all their games for 09-10. Calipari will again disgrace another university.

100 4 years, 9 months ago

First of all great posts by all. A few things I've noticed:

1. The 3-2 zone (gentle trap) is one of the easiest defenses to beat if you have the right players who are equally athletic & have been trained properly. Defenses are always the reacter, offenses the initiator. What the 3-2 zone does to itself is it wears the defensive team down, essentially shoots itself in the foot, if overmatched ny a dominant offensive strategy; it's like you're running in a hamster wheel for 40 minutes saying, "Coach Mole Boheim, can we please go hamster to hamster, or can you at least bring in my substitute hampster, my lungs feel like they're gonna burst & I can barely get down the court for offense after they do that dunk play everytime!"

Coach Mole: "Just keep doing it you hampsters, it worked against Louisville, it will work against the Jayhawks!"

Hampster 1: "But Coach Mole we're dyin out here, just dyin, we're so tired we can't even hit free throws, please can I get some Gatorade?"

Coach Mole: "No!!! You will play my 3-2 soft Hampster trap or you will transfer back to Iowa State!"

So from an offensive perspective, as long as you have guys able to pull defenders into you & your extra offensive players understand angles & backpicks (yes on a zone a pick can be used!), then you win the battle every single possession. Especially if you have an excellent ballhandler who can split the defense & knows how to throw over the top to one of two 7 footers who have been freed by the thickest 6'6" guard in the history of the game, the X man, for an alley oop 14 foot dunkathon (that would be Cole + Withey = 14 feet of autodunk on the Syracuse zone. (Your given in this equation of course is that the bowling ball is your ball handler & the X man is your pick setter).

1. For those speculating about UNC playing the NIT this year to grab a few extra victories, this could happen. Kentucky did it last year for that sole purpose, stay ahead, although embarrassing to their fans, they had to do it. As long as we dobwhat we're capable of, we will be very happy at the end of the season, especially if the hammer comes down on Kentucky via the NCAA (there is no way all four Division 1 head coaches of the Carolina schools didn't know about Wall's high school dealings in the state of North Carolina, even Duke backed offaid Wall at the end) & backs them under 2000 wins, leaving us at the top.

crestdr 4 years, 9 months ago

re: just curious bc i've seen this comment before...what makes you certain Self would have gone to Mizery. has he made that comment before? was he ansy to get out of the big 10 or what?

Self mentioned in his book "At home in the phog" that he would have accepted the Mizzou job. He wanted to return to the Big 12.

Jayhawk_in_Morgantown 4 years, 9 months ago

"Not taking anything away from Roy as he is a fantastic coach (best ever, IMO, before Self) but Self's accomplishment is truly amazing. Coach Self, it really is a big deal."

How many National Championships did Roy win? Oh, right. I waited 15 years to get rid of that guy. I couldn't be happier with Bill Self.

Mike Kendall 4 years, 9 months ago

ralster and others---

Just want to make sure where I stand on this-------

Lacie Reed, Tyrel's sister, is very attractive and probably very smart. In an earlier post, did not mean to be disrespectful. Sometimes, people take things the wrong way. I am definitely sure, like ralster pointed out, that Tyrel and Lacie's parents are quite proud!!!!! Rock Chalk!!!!!!

honk_for_hawks 4 years, 9 months ago

I used to play against perry ellis almost daily back home at the north ymca in wichita and I'll tell you right now, he is unbelievably talented and he is always working on his game. every time I go back home I'll see him up there by himself, just shooting hundreds of shots and working on his ballhandling. he doesn't have the best ball handling right now, but by the time he comes to KU, he could be like a darrell arthur, but stronger. he has a sweet stroke and his ballhandling is getting better all the time. obviously when you are 6'8" in high school, you don't need to shoot jump shots or dribble a lot, but he is capable. As for someone else getting him, I doubt calipari would get him because his players just seem sleezy and I know personally that he is a really nice, smart kid. If he doesn't go to KU I would actually think memphis has a decent shot at getting him because his older sister plays there now. I'll be long gone when he gets here, but it would be nice to think that I saw a KU player develop in person and maybe something I did against him made him work on something.

KUbsee69 4 years, 9 months ago

Brady's foul shot is on the front page of yahoo.com today for all the world to see :(

HCBS can not ever leave Lawrence because who would/could ever buy his new mega-house? When you build a home like that, it looks like you intend to stick around.

Hawknitch 4 years, 9 months ago

Check out Morningstar's sweet free throw against Texas on youtube. Most viewed. Close to 2,000,000. Way to represent, Brady!

jhwkswn 4 years, 9 months ago

Hawknitch, get over it. Not a big deal.

Wednesday--Items No One Talks Much about Yet on the Road to a Ring:

} Marcus' Finger Injury: Marcus' finger with torn tendons is the blackest cloud on the horizon right now. Torn tendons won't heal this season. Waiting two months to have surgery appears likely to waste much chance of a surgery that returns him to normal function in that hand...ever. Perhaps a medical professional can weigh in here for insight. IMHO, if there were a choice between returning him to full function by ending his season now for surgery, and him never regaining full function in that finger by playing him, his season ought to end now for the good of Marcus, for the standards of KU basketball, and for the good of next year's team. Lifetime loss of function in a finger is not small potatoes. Kieff and Withey maybe called to duty.

} Cole's Scoring Inefficiency Vs. Teams with a Strong Inside Game: Scoring efficiency at every position is hugely important to a defense first team, but no where more so than out of the pivot. Cole was a great force defensively in Austin, doing a great job on the Crisco Kid (with lots of double team help) and altering and blocking an amazing number of shots. He was so spectacular in these regards that it made most gloss over that now Texas and KSU have wrecked his scoring efficiency.

Cole v. Team:Shooting/Reebs/Minutes: TX: 2-10/5/26 NU: 2-5/6/21 CU: 6-8/14/35 KS: 5-13/11/37

KSU did not wreck Cole's scoring efficiency with Luis Colon--their big post man. He played little. They did it with a lot of double teaming with strong, athletic guys that were shorter.

Tayhose did it with the Crisco Kid one up and double-teaming when the Heaping Helping of Shortening was out.

Cole is passing well out of double teams and the Twins are being fed more to, which is just what KU needs to compensate for doubles on Cole.

The problem is: Cole may not be passing out of double and triple teams enough yet, and is just plain forcing bad shots, when he doesn't.

jaybate 4 years, 9 months ago

Cole's scoring falling in the face of double-teaming is to be expected. The concern is the fall in scoring efficiency. His shooting percentage plummits, indicating he is letting the doubles and big post men sucker him into a lot of bad shots. We know the shot selection is bad, because Cole is not going to the FT line all that much more than he used to.

The answer is not for Cole to quit shooting entirely, when doubled, or tripled. KU needs Cole to continue to be an offensive threat, to get to the rim, both for his points, and so passing out of the double teams stays an effective counter strategy to doubles. The next month I hope Danny can work with Cole on learning post moves that are effective in double teams. Watching Cole, it appears he needs to learn to stop giving ground, or dribbling side ways. The way to handle a double team is always to split the double with penetration. Never flank it. Always split it. Divide and conquer. Flank it and the double moves with you intact. Split it and you have already divided it and conquered it, whether you shoot or pass. Cole splits doubles occasionally, but he should be splitting them consistently. To split them consistently, he has to set up lower, so that when he splits it he is a threat to one step and score. Splitting double teams from too far away leaves you being swarmed, because you have to put the ball on the floor to threaten the rim. Setting up closer to the rim is a technique one can and must learn to do consistently. Setting up closer makes any of Coles offensive moves vastly more threatening.

I also hope Danny works more with the Twins on passing back to Cole going to the basket, once Cole passes out of the double team. This is something we almost never see. The post give and go is one of the most devastating weapons, when you have a dominant center like Cole. Double teams tend only sustain on the post up. The pass out of a double team almost always creates an opportunity for Cole to break to the rim for a return feed--a mini lob. A couple good post moves on doubles, plus return passing, plus an end to poor shots taken, would return Cole to scoring efficiency and make KU virtually unbeatable by anyone in the country. This improvement would be crucial in beating Syracuse, when the time comes.

} Syracuse Is the Enemy that Grand Strategy Must Recognize: You play'em one at a time, but you also have a grand strategy. Not many are saying it yet, but all roads lead through Syracuse. Syracuse is the best team KU will have to beat to win the ring. This is potentially very sweet. It means KU gets to avenge the Syracuse loss to 'melo. Might as well start working on offense against the 3-2 zone now. It is a foregone conclusion that the road to a ring leads through the Syracuse's zone at some point--most likely in the national finals, or semis. I haven't looked at the brackets.

Sweet_Sandbags 4 years, 9 months ago

re: Ms. Reed

Can you imagine if somehow Ms. Reed and Shannon O'Connor (manager at KU mid-'00s, numerous Women of KU calendars) could have been managers at the same time?!?! The Hawks would have been unstoppable!

Forget the opposing coaches worrying about KU's pre-game video as a distraction...

100,

Like X setting back picks for Cole and Withey.

But why not use Marcus and Kieff for the back picker.

Put X at the 2 to take the occassional wing dishes.

Let Sherron, Tyshawn, and Brady take turns at the point (to keep them fresh) doing the slicing. A steady diet of PG slicing is best done fresh.

Wing dish to X shooting over the top of the collapsed wing defender.

Or alley oops to the twin footers picked free by the combo 4 (Marcus/Kieff)?

Rest X occassionally with Brady or Tyrel.

Stir and pour.

Ben Kane 4 years, 9 months ago

jaybate I'd like to agree and disagree.

Agree: cole needs to not be putting up these bad shots. get the ball out when doubled. and get the ball back from the other post.

disagree: syracuse is good, no doubt, but I feel we will rip their zone apart. Kentucky is the only team that has the bigs to match up with us.

jhawkrulz 4 years, 9 months ago

I'm glad someone posted the fact that in 2-4 years that 2000th victory by Kentucky will be erased.

Kentucky has truly sold out with Calipari.

I'm proud to have coaches like Bill Self and Roy Williams that have relied on KU History and coaching ability to build a legacy for the future.

I really hope that the 2000th victory comes at Missouri what a crushing blow to their program. I'd love for it to happen at the Phog, but knowing the schedule, that would be bad news for this season.

jaybate 4 years, 9 months ago

First, no one has been vulgar about Ms. Reed. Thanks for that curtesy.

But I for one would like everyone to give Ms. Reed her anonymity back including the LJW photographers. A person ought to be able to go to a game, even if pictured, and watch her brother play without being esteemed for her beauty on a sports board. When she's out on the town, this sort of talk would be no problem...among friends. But at the game, she just wants to be a basketball fan, like anyone else. It is not like she is wearing a bustier and stilettos. She is just attending a basketball game. She is not a public figure--not a celebrity--just a private citizen and apparently a student, at that. Grant her the privilege of her anonymity, and spare Tyrel from having to worry about protecting his kid sis in The Special Season. It seems the only honorable thing to do.

Rock chalk.

Hawknitch 4 years, 9 months ago

Sherron Collins left handed dunk where have they been? I would like to see more of these! youtube.com, Sherron Collins dunk!!! Sweetness!

Mike Kendall 4 years, 9 months ago

truehawk93--- Thanks so much for the links!!!!!!! And the pictures!!!!!

The Reeds look like fun folks to be around and it looks like they are pretty close.

Great stuff--thanks a bunch!!!!

kansas22 4 years, 9 months ago

If I could do it, I'd vote Coach Self for President. The man is incredible, and is the best coach and recruiter in the nation. Thankful to have you coach, keep up the fantastic work.

Steve Brown 4 years, 9 months ago

Marcus if you need surgery get it. why wait, we'll win a few games until your return late march. Even if we don't win games, we would rather you do the right thing for yourself. No question the coaches are all over this issue and the right options for you. Don't do something hurtful for your fans, as J Nation has your back.

Reed's sister, let her be. show some class nation.

Woody Cragg 4 years, 9 months ago

ralster- I may be old, but I ain't blind. That girl is KUte! RCJH.

FairgroveJayhawk 4 years, 9 months ago

I was a bit taken back by the torn tendon diagnosis with Marcus. It cannot be accurate. In the same sentence of giving the torn tendon assessment, Self said Marcus would wear a splint for a couple weeks and it would be fine.

In other words, something was inaccurate. Torn tendons vs. stretched ligaments/ tendons. I'm going to assume stretched ligaments/tendons as it is less likely Self would not be given accurate information regarding the treatment of a splint for a couple weeks.

Also a completely torn ligament (attaches muscle to bone) would severely prevent function. He would not have been able to return to the game with a complete tear.

Hopefully it will become clear the next press conference.

FairgroveJayhawk 4 years, 9 months ago

my bad,

Also a completely torn tendon (attaches muscle to bone)...

crmsnblu 4 years, 9 months ago

sorry this bothers me though

• ligament - attaches bone to bone

• tendon - attaches muscle to bone

an injury to a tendon may limit movement/function

an injury to a ligament would limit structural integrity (splinting regains this)

both have good vascularization and will usually heal themselves quickly

FairgroveJayhawk 4 years, 9 months ago

crmsnblu - completely agree. I was a bit everywhere on that one. well said. great summary.

no major tears, minor stuff.

brooksmd 4 years, 9 months ago

Jaybate...There was no disrespect aimed at Tyrel's sister and I have not read anything disrespectful concerning her. But with a couple of news articles w/photos, and her photo in the program (unfortunately not available down here in Nawlin's), and being visible on tv during games (again not always down here in Nawlin's), she has lost her anonymity. Yes I have seen her behind the bench on tv, but until now I wasn't aware of who the young lady was. I do agree that their parents must be quite proud of the two of them.

chuckberry32,

Hope you're right on 23-1 Syracuse, but Boeheim's 3-2 is always a structural problem for teams, because of the Orange's length inside and outside--lots of 6'6" to 6'7" wings. It takes away your trey game (a KU strength) and forces you inside where everything gets very sticky, if you are not skillful in finding the open man in the seams of the zone.

Playing zone is always an energy budget advantage, also. The zoning team is fresher longer,so they have legs to be accurate jump shooters longer.

And the zoning team is always forcing the other team to play outside their conventional offensive schemes, so there is some advantage there, too.

The result is the Orange, on offense, shoot treys on you that you have to expend a lot of energy to defend, and they go inside one on one, because of their size.

The result on defense is that the Orange get to contest treys spending less energy, and contest the inside with almost constant double teams.

If you're bigs can't pass, you are very often in a world of hurt.

I have always thought that if the material is equal, Boeheim's approach, though I loath it, always yields a structural advantage for Syracuse.

Boeheim's approach is always why I would like to see the zone outlawed.

Only one team--Pitt--a physically rough bunch--has scored more than 73 points on 'Cuse all season.

KU has had 3 teams break 73, though in only one case by much.

The point here is that the Syracuse zone is holding opponents to similarly low scores, as KU's intense m2m pressure, while expending a lot less energy doing so.

Implication: Syracuse has more energy to expend on offense.

I agree with 100 that slicing seams and deft passing to men moving to the rim off back picks is crucial to beating a 3-2.

But so is making what open threes you get. :-)

Some teams have players who can feel the seams in zones and pass to the open man, but other teams do not.

I always hate the suspense of finding out if ours have it. :-)

jaybate 4 years, 9 months ago

Regarding UK, I have not watched them closely since early but I believe the TO numbers still indicate Wall turns it over a lot.

Wall is good, but he is their achilles heel.

Wall is why KU should win the Disruption Statistic (steals/TOs).

Wall getting pressured and roughed up for a game by Sherron, Tyshawn, and Brady, guarranties lots of UK TOs.

KU jumping in the passing lanes against UK would generate a ton of steals.

I do not believe UK can apply the kind of pressure needed to disrupt KU into a lot of TOs.

UK would have to outshoot us sharply to win; i.e., they have a great trey night and we have a bad one.

Or Cousins and their 4 must whip both Cole and Marcus badly. Does anyone really think they can?

I don't doubt the UK bigs are good and would cause us problems. The Crisco Kid causes us real problems. We had to double him and he still blocked and altered about as many shots as Cole did. But KU's bigs always force opposing teams bigs to guard all game, something they are often not required to do. And KU's bigs are good enough to cause any team's bigs to foul more than normal.

Our bigs are playing so well now that they can at the very minimum play UK's bigs to a stand off.

The Princeton gives KU fits, and so does the Princeton on Steroids that UK runs.

It puts a lot of pressure on Cole, but I believe he can handle it.

The crucial match up in a KU UK game would be Xavier.

Could Xavier get his 15 points and guard their 3?

I would not worry about Sherron, Ty/Brady, Marcus/Kieff, and Cole/Kieff against UK.

They would find a way to win and it almost certainly would involve outshooting them at the trey, plus having more strips and fewer TOs.

More strips and fewer TOs, jaybate's disruption statistic, these are the alchemical secrets of Self's teams winning, even when all the other stats are close.

brooksmd,

I made clear, or at least meant to do so, that no one has been been vulgar. And I certainly agree that neither you, nor anyone else I have read, have been disrespectful. But the longer this goes on, the more likelihood that some one will transgress.

It is true that she has lost her anonymity to some degree, but it need not be for long. Anonymity can quickly be restored. Ask any actor how hard it is to stay marketable and in the public eye without actively trying, when one is not working. Fifteen minutes of fame and all that.

I have no corner on what is right.

I can only offer my hunch that it would probably be best for this young person to be able to attend games without the recurring attention of strangers on sports boards, regardless of how respectfully it is expressed.

If she starts modelling, or goes to Hollywood to act, then she willingly enters the Ashley Judd realm.

Until then, Tyrel's sis should just be another student at a game.

Jim Pendleton 4 years, 9 months ago

kuguyintarheelland - I hope you were talking about getting win #2010 during the calendar year 2010, which of course would carry into next season. Otherwise it will be impossible for us to get that win during the current season, as we are at 1993 now, and there are only a max of 16 games left (7 reg season, 3 Big XII, 6 NCAA).

jhawkrulz - The earliest that win #2000 can occur this season is at MU, and that would assume running the table in the regular season. I agree that it would be a riot for us to get that win in Columbia, since we can't get it at AFH this season.

Never like to talk about potential losses, but if we don't get to 2K during the regular season, it would figure we have a good chance to do it in the Big 12 tourney which is in KC this year, and a lot of KU fans would get to see it.

Of course I hate to look ahead too far, even though I just did. We need to take care of business this weekend against the clones, and then have a strong game at A&M on Monday. Agree it would be nice to see some of the other guys play more so we can rest the starters as we get into these bigger upcoming games. Rock Chalk!!

Tony Bandle 4 years, 9 months ago

If there was an NCAA tournament for toupees, HCBS's would be the National Champion, although I do miss the world's worst comb over this side of Donald Trump with Gene Keady!!

What a school..we have the best coach, the tallest assistant coach, the hottest sister and the scariest AD in the land!!!!

scholz 4 years, 9 months ago

Anytime a dumb 'Kentcuky' fan gets on our blog. Post this site and please remind them how dumb they are.

jaybate 4 years, 9 months ago

"Appearance vs. Reality Questions Regarding KU Basketball Coaches and Players:"

What if Bill Self has his real hair, but an artificial head?

What if Sherron is really 6'5", but is perpetually caught in a highly localized, 10-G gravitational warp that compresses him to 5'11"?

What if Cole Aldrich has one black tooth instead of a gap and hair follicles that grow inward?

What if Tyshawn is not wearing an arm brace at all, but rather has a strange skin condition called Fabricosis?

What if Brady did not bobble the FT because the ball was wet, but rather because his body has been high-jacked by an alien race of nano-creatures unfamiliar with free throw mechanics?

What if Tyrel's bangs have been genetically modified by Archer Daniels Midland not to grow out any longer?

What if Marcus and Markieff are not tattooed at all, but rather are two human tablets brought down from Mt. Oread by Moses Self that list the Ten Thousand Commandments of Okie Ball, all ending in "Yo, so help me, Iba"?

What if Xavier does not actually have his own NBA body, but rather the body of a deceased NBA player that Carl grave-robbed and sewed onto Xavier's head at birth?

What if Thomas Robinson is not the best looking big prospect in KU history, but the man George Clooney most wishes he could look like?

What if 7' Jeff Withey does not have a long neck with 6'5" shoulders, but rather has a really narrow waist starting just under his chin?

What if CJ Henry does not actually have a chin curtain beard, but rather is wearing part of the neck frill of a dilophosaurus borrowed from a diorama at the KU Natural History Museum?

What if Elijah Johnson is not playing, because Chancellor Bernadette Gray-Little and AD Lew Perkins cannot figure how to insure the liability risk that The Prophet will jump and hit his head on the scoreboard above center court?

jaybate 4 years, 9 months ago

What if Conner Teahan is not the Girl-Meltdown-Device he appears, but is rather Dean Smith in a lycra bra made to look like Conner in our minds with devious, MK-ULTRA, microwave mind control technology?

What if Chase Buford was once a 7 footer grown in a test tube by mad Dr. R.G Buford, using growth hormone from Manute Bol, but after a severe car accident in a nitro-methane Mini Cooper had to have nearly a foot removed in both shins?

What if Jordan Jeuneman is not from Hays, Kansas, at all, but rather is the life-form recovered from a downed flying saucer in the Roswell incident?

What if Danny Manning is not really 6'10" tall, but is (and always has been) a dwarf walking on stilts?

What if Joe Dooley's ears are not simply cartilage and tissue for hearing, but vestigial wings?

What if Kurtis Townsend is not actually a snappy dresser by choice, but is rather a person suffering a degenerative disease that increasingly prevents them from dressing casually?

What if Brett Ballard,director of basketball operations, is actually the guy who directs surgical procedures on KU athletes?

What if Barry Hinson, director of External Relations, is actually a Man in Black tasked with coordinating KU basketball with off-planet funding sources?

What if Kyle Keller always looks tickled to death, because, as video coordinator, he has unlimited access to the KU archives for nude models used in KU art classes?

What if the Jayhawk at center court always looks so irreverently and timelessly right, because it turns out it is based on a fossil found in a core sample taken at the foot of The Monument Rocks by James Naismith?

Rock chalk!

Note: All fiction, no malice takin' a seriousness break.

Jack Wilson 4 years, 9 months ago

What if Jaybate is actually Tyrel Reed's sister?

Martin Rosenblum 4 years, 9 months ago

Joe Dooley's ears reference! What a stroke of random genius!

I take back anything and everything I ever said about Jaybate (jest kidding)!

We cool?

Mike Kendall 4 years, 9 months ago

If Jaybate is Tyrel Reed's sister, well, ___ I won't finish my sentence!!!!!

For those that want the Tar Hills to lose tonight, they did----to Duke, 64-54, at the Dean Dome!!!!! Bummer!!!!!

3GJayhawk 4 years, 9 months ago

Damn Jaybate, you're out there dude. Not sure how you come up with that stuff but it's interesting nonetheless.

jaybate 4 years, 9 months ago

What if High Elite Major is Elijah Johnson? :-)

jaybate 4 years, 9 months ago

What if jaybate is the consciousness of the internet come alive and no one in particular?

jaybate 4 years, 9 months ago

What if everything in the next moment is perfect, but we can never get into the next moment?

jaybate news service (jns):

Dateline: Baja KU, Chapel Hill, North Carolina

Slug: Dean Moves to Replace Roy, Coaching Candidate Leaked...

jns stringers in Chapel Hill report uninformed sources indicate rumors swirl that Dean Smith is working furiously behind the scenes to force Roy Williams out and replace him with John Calipari.

Developing...

Note: Entirely fiction, no malice intended.

Martin Rosenblum 4 years, 9 months ago

What if Gary Bedore is Clark Kent and Jaybate is Superman?

Clark Kent WAS a newspaper writer. (Well, Bedore does write for the LJW, technically a newspaper)

Who would be Jimmy Olsen?

100 4 years, 9 months ago

Jaybate,

with grade school ball you are right that the zone sucks much less energy; alas even with a lot of college teams you would be right.

But a team who plays it well is constantly slide accelerating, understanding their positions & getting exactly where they need to be.

For the teams that play it right it is a nightmare when another teamreally makes you move for 35 seconds every possession or if they set pick after pick after pick. Already you are sliding laterally for 35 seconds moving like a hampster as fast as you can.

Now the wing is gonna crosscourt pass it and make NMR run twist & slide another twenty feet? Wait a minute! Now this bog 6'8" twin is setting a pick on me & I'm supposed to be over there already!!!!

This sucks!!!!

OK I got around him, almost there, keep sliding....

Cr#p!!!!

That wing just dribble penetrated and handed it off to That bowling ball lookin kid...

Well I guess I better start sliding or Coach Mole is gonna...

Dangitt!!!

That bowling bowl guy just dribbled right by me & that mean twin guy just set a mean pick on my low post helper friend guy!!!

Now that 7 foot guy is jumping near the basket!!!

This sucks!!!!

Now that little bowling ball is throwing the ball towards the basket like a rainbow....

Cr*p Almighty!!!!!!!

This sucks!!!!!!!

Lesson: if you play a zone well against a team that moves the ball & dribbles when needed & has tall guys who are strong & smart, the zone is ALWAYS your worst enemy...

Great zones against great Offensive ball movement teams always burn the he*ll out of lateral muscles which are the first to say "uncle"....

Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Jaybate

100 4 years, 9 months ago

Also to your other query:

You are right Coach Self would probably use Marcus in this to set a pick.

However...

I like putting our two 7 footers out there, hanging just outside the paint on the low block.

I like bringing X inside & getting him involved early in the possession (since the ball is taken care of with Sherron). Get X's wing defender forced to stay away from X. Move X inside to set a backpick on either of the 7 footer's closest big guy defenders. Then send X quickly to the other corner.

So on & so forth as long as the lane isn't clogged. When he pops out more than likely he's open because the Baheim wing zone defenders have lost track. And there's no way any of them follow him through the paint.

In essence he is free to set picks & it becomes two 7 footers & a 6'6" thick jayhawk against two 6'8" skinny kids down low.

We win that battle every time because X's defender is up there worrying about the bowling ball or Brady.

Rock Chalk

100,

You know best and so I would get my butt down and slide for ya till heck froze over in m2m, but...

1. I've never seen Sleepy Jim's Orangemen look anywhere near as tired playing zone, as KU players look late in a game having played Self Defense.

And...

1. We agree about the Twin Towers and the Bowling Ball on this. And I know Brady buys you perimeter defense in the m2m and X a lot of mobility and threat down under on baseline offense after the picks. But I am devout about Xavier's length for shooting on the wing. And Marcus has just become too good offensively and defensively to sit him. Marcus back picking out of the 3 on Jeff and Cole and creating not one but two bigs going to the offensive glass and sticking back on any misses by a third big shooting five footers and dunks? I could not forgive myself if I did not overwhelm the two man Syracuse baseline on the KU offensive glass with three bigs. And I have always thought two guards out front (instead of a guard and two wings) parked in tandem between each seam of the Syracuse front three lets you control the front three zones with two men, and leaves three on two underneath. Would I pay a bit on defense with X guarding a two and Marcus a three? Maybe, but the offensive beat down of Syracuse by my five would be too complete to forgo...at least for 5 minute stretches. And Self has said Marcus can guard a three. And X is getting better on the D each game. :-)

So here it is:

1 Sherron 2 Xavier 3 Marcus 4 Jeff 5 Cole

Its been my dream line up the whole season both for clear outs for guards against a m2m, and for a 3-2 zone, now that you mention it.

Great to hear from you as always.

Jim Olson?

That would be Jack Larson. :-)

ilovebill 4 years, 9 months ago

It is wonderful, as a fan, when you can love and respect your team and your coach. Kansas has so much to be proud of with their basketball program. Congrats to Coach Self on his milestone-to-be.

And thanks to all of the posters on this site who make my morning coffee so much fun!

Beak 4 years, 9 months ago

Gary, this article was great. Answered just about everything Id want to know about KU bball in the last ten years. Thank you.

TheStonesSuck 4 years, 9 months ago

Hot water burn baby! Hot Water Burn Baby!!1!!!

simbahawk 4 years, 9 months ago

I am a hand surgeon and I think Marcus probably has a mallet finger which means the extensor tendon tore off its insertion causing the tip joint to droop. It needs a little splint for 6-8 weeks which can be applied to the back of the joint and probably won't affect his play much. Surgery is generally not done because the finger may not bend much afterwards and that is way worse than a little droop. If he injured his ligaments only which support the sides of the joint, then the splinting needed is for a few weeks only.

Steve Brown 4 years, 9 months ago

Doc thanks for update.

UNC coach on ESPN reports his boys will be running some extra in practice this week trying to find their 'want to', darn it.

Anyone recall when Cole had the head cold or bronchitus last semester, glad he had better wind.

I rewatched the game tape and was proud to see HC reinsert Mr. Taylor after some time on the bench to say, go back in and do your stuff. He had been sort of pouting on the bench it seemed, not sure if mad at himself or the guy that blew by him when he didn't slide his feet. Yet Master Self didn't give up and let him play again....coach is a redeemer for those that are willing to try and willing to learn.