Friday, February 5, 2010

Altitude adjustment

Boulder leaves Marcus Morris winded

Kansas forward Marcus Morris stuffs Colorado forward Marcus Relphorde's last shot before the clock expires during overtime Wednesday, Feb. 3, 2010 at the Coors Event Center in Boulder.

Kansas outlasts Colorado in OT

The Jayhawks needed overtime for a second straight game to get by Colorado on Wednesday. Kansas kept its unbeaten conference record alive by dominating the extra period.

Marcus Morris was eager to depart Boulder, Colo. — elevation 5,430 feet — late Wednesday night, even if it meant arriving back in Lawrence about 3:15 Thursday morning.

“I’ll definitely gain my wind back for sure,” Morris, Kansas University’s sophomore basketball forward, said of his desire to exit Rocky Mountain Country ASAP.

“I didn’t have any wind at all,” Morris added of his condition during Wednesday night’s 72-66 overtime victory over Colorado in Coors Events Center. “It’s not an excuse, but the altitude really had a big effect on me.”

To the casual observer, it appeared Morris actually grew stronger as Wednesday’s game progressed.

He scored six of KU’s points in overtime as the Jayhawks (21-1 overall, 7-0 Big 12) doubled the Buffs (11-11, 2-6), 12-6, in the five-minute extra session.

He showed incredible effort on what KU coach Bill Self called the biggest play of the game.

Morris grabbed the rebound of a Brady Morningstar miss and clanged an inside shot. Morris then grabbed his own rebound and missed again. He grabbed his own rebound once more and scored off the glass to give the Jayhawks a 67-60 advantage at 2:41.

“Maybe,” Morris said, asked if it was the biggest play of his still-young college career. “Nothing was really going our way. I was missing right around the rim. Just to have the composure to keep getting it back and to put it in was good.”

Morningstar said that play, “got everyone pretty excited right there. It was a heck of a play, a huge play by him.”

Morris was honest when asked if he could have made a similar play in crunch time a year ago.

“Probably not,” he said. “Just with the mind-set I have now ... I feel I’m a major part of this team and I have to be one of the players who makes clutch shots and big shots.”

Morris, who averages 17.4 points and 8.1 rebounds a game in conference play (12.7 ppg, 6.0 rpg overall), also had a pivotal play on defense. He guarded CU guard Cory Higgins, who missed a long three as the final seconds ticked off the clock in regulation, the game tied at 60.

“I thought if he’s going to hit the shot from way out there, then it’s the shot we’re going to lose by,” said Morris, who wanted to make sure Higgins didn’t drive past him for an easy two-point bucket.

Morningstar, who is known as KU’s defensive stopper, said he could envision a similar defensive role for Morris.

“People don’t realize how well he can slide his feet when he really wants to. When he locks in and tries to guard, he can really be a good defender,” Morningstar said.

Morris wasn’t totally pleased with his individual effort Wednesday. He made two of seven free throws on a night KU made 18 of 38. Marcus’ brother, Markieff, went 3-of-9 from the line and has now made just six of 20 (30 percent) in Big 12 games.

“Kieff’s got to get back in the gym. We talked about it. I’ve got to get back in the gym, too. I shot two for seven,” Marcus said. “I talk to him, tell him, ‘Just keep shooting them. At least you’re getting fouled. At least you’re going up strong.’ But we’ve got to make them.”

Academic honor

KU center Cole Aldrich has been named to the 2010 CoSIDA Academic All-District Seven basketball team. Aldrich will now appear on the national ballot for CoSIDA Academic All-America. The last KU player to be named Academic All-America first team was Ryan Robertson in 1999.

“This has been one of my goals ever since I said I was coming back after last year,” said Aldrich, a communication studies major who was a 2009 Academic all-Big 12 second team pick last year. “Not only do I want to graduate, but also do well in the classroom. I want to show people the stereotype that basketball players or athletes are just in it for the sport is not true.”

Sportsmanship honor coming

NCAA officials will recognize former KU athletic director Bob Frederick as the inaugural winner of the NCAA’s administrator’s sportsmanship award at halftime of Saturday’s KU-Nebraska game (5 p.m., Allen Fieldhouse). The NCAA’s John Blanchard and Robert Vowels will make the presentation to Frederick’s widow, Margey. The award goes to an NCAA administrator who “shows the highest respect for intercollegiate athletics, demonstrates respect for competition, student-athletes, coaches and officials, and encourages student-athletes to demonstrate positive sportsmanship and integrity.”

Comments

100 11 years, 8 months ago

Great job Cole!!!!

And what a great award to honor a great man's life's work & his uncanny ability to reach & influence people in the most positive way imaginable, Bob Fredrick.

As a side, I always loved it when Bob was head chair of the NCAA selection committtee!!!!

Trey Hohman 11 years, 8 months ago

MinnesotaJay 11 years, 8 months ago

Not even mentioned in the description of Marcus' great multiple rebound play is the fact that he was taking time off the clock, too. Genious.

Okay, never mind.

ParisHawk 11 years, 8 months ago

CaramelMacchMan,

I had the same problem with that wiki link. They put an apostrophe in the title after "Men" and that is apparently replaced by "%2527" when you post the link. It should be replaced by "%27". So click on the link, go to the address bar and take out the "25". I tried to find a workaround and failed.

bradynsdad 11 years, 8 months ago

can someone post the actual total wins as of right now between ku and unc.it would be amazing to get to 2000 before they do considering how far back we were.

Dyrk Dugan 11 years, 8 months ago

Marcus is doing great. if he feels the altitude affected him that much, then so be it. but he played awesome in the OT.

Yep, VaTech beat Roy's boys 74-70......i had this one counted as a win for them....so 18-14 looks very likely now...and that won't get in.

we could...emphasis on could...catch them for 2000 wins. they have 9 games left...and so do we. 9-0 vs. 3-6....not likely....especially the first one.

but hey, anything's possible. Let's just hammer the shuckers on Saturday. Go Jayhawks!

jaybate 11 years, 8 months ago

Marcus Morris averages 17ppg in the B12!

A huge accomplishment for Marcus.

And Mr. Defense, Brady M says Marcus can really get down and defend.

KU having Marcus and Cole in the paint are blessed in a big way.

It becomes more and more apparent why X is sitting a bit for awhile. He had played a lot of minutes early for a freshman. Self probably wanted rest X a bit and play through the bigs for awhile to let Marcus find his game and get Cole back to where he was last year. Brady, Tyshawn and Tyrel are probably a little better at feeding these two guys on the blocks.

I'm guessing it is about time to start weaving Xavier back into the mix against Nebraska.

Xavier was looking a little ticked off on the bench against Boulder.

X ought to be about like a leopard ready to be uncaged.

Pity the Huskers.

Mike Kendall 11 years, 8 months ago

Congrats to Cole! He deserves the Academic award and is the ultimate definition of a "student-athlete."

In regard to the Sportsmanship Honor given to the late Bob Frederick: I think that is fantastic! When I was at Lawrence High School, Coach Frederick was our basketball coach and had the opportunity to work with him. What a great honor! I am happy for Margey and for all of Dr. Frederick's family.

Good luck, Jayhawks, with Nebraska! RCJHGOKU!

Queen_Krenda 11 years, 8 months ago

Uh, okay. I think you misspelled the title of the article, Gary. It reads "altitude", not "attitude". LOL.

kugrl24 11 years, 8 months ago

Good luck Hawks with Nebraska!

Rock-Chalk Jayhawk! :)

jaybate 11 years, 8 months ago

Some Ways You Know the Altitude Affects You in Boulder:

You start to get drunk after only the sixth Coors.

Yellow snow starts looking like a snow cone.

Aroused women shout, "No! Don't stop! I can't get enough oxygen!"

Their crestfallen men whisper, "Maybe I lost it cause of the altitude?"

Coaches jump off benches to bait referees, but then double over and grab their chests.

NASA upper atmosphere weather balloon drifts through the field house and explodes from low air pressure.

Cheerleaders' breast implants herniate.

Dick Vitale's head herniates.

My hernia herniates.

The Buffalo keeps trying to mate with a Chihuahua.

jaybate 11 years, 8 months ago

Some Reasons Why Glen Sadler Is Called "Doc":

His father was a proctologist.

His mother's maiden name was Faustus.

He played a lot of doctor with girls in grade school.

Doctor Sadler sounds like he might actually have a Ph.d.

Patent medicine is a great way to pick up beer money.

Nebraskans can't spell doctor.

If you're named Doc, players don't ask about the enemas for failing to play defense.

In a unicameral state, you can get away with anything.

To drive Doctor Tom Osborne nuts.

bradynsdad 11 years, 8 months ago

thank you i love bill. it is possible unc has three wins to go but the next three out of four are at maryland, at georgia tech, and against duke. so it will be interesting.

Woody Cragg 11 years, 8 months ago

X certainly hasn't helped his draft status at all. He plays with no apparent sense of urgency. Ball handling and shot selection is not what I would expect from a 1st rounder. If it were up to me to defense him I force to the right-tough going every time. I think at best a very late pick maybe even 2nd round. He needs more court awareness and he won't get it on the bench pouting. I don't think he responds to criticism like some. Maybe too much about himself like alot of kids. Lots of these guys were top dogs when they came here and some of them leave quickly; Q. Thomas, Appleton, M. Downs. He needs another year of ball at this level, minimum.

Kye Clark 11 years, 8 months ago

While everyone would agree that X is less than impressive and could definitely use some more seasoning at the collegiate level, every mock draft I see (some updated as recently as yesterday) still have him in the 1st round. Given this fact, it makes you wonder how poorly he would have to play to work himself out of the 1st round. Barring something unforeseen, he's still probably gone.

Given X's regression, the only measurable difference between this year's team and last year's sweet 16 team is the improved play of Marcus Morris, and to a lesser extent that of Markieff. While X may still be starting, the crunch time minutes are still filled by TT, Brady, & Tyrel. There are the incremental improvements in some players' games that comes naturally with just another year of playing, practicing, & conditioning. This might be offset TT's regression. So, we have a deeper, improved frontcourt and a backcourt that has largely stayed the same talent-wise...is this going to be enough for a major push for a championship? Perhaps. As has been pointed out on other outlets there are no dominating forces this year (i.e. UNC last year, the four #1 seeds from '08, Florida in '07). KU right now has as much a chance as anyone to win it, but an upset prior to the Final Four would not be met with as much shock as it would be over other #1 teams in years past. In order to become the clear-cut favorite, we will need to see improvement along the lines that Marcus has shown during Big 12 play or that of Cole the past handful of games. Either X needs to regain his form or Tyshawn needs to experience the kind of improvement we'd all expected coming off a solid freshman season and great play on the U-19 national team. Without either of these things happening (although both would be preferable), its a considerable crap-shoot come March, even for the #1 team in the land.

Otownhawker 11 years, 8 months ago

jaybate. the obvious reason bill self is setting xavier is because, get ready for this, OVERRATEÐ (GASP) yea that's right guys the one and done player is gonna be back for AT LEAST one more year. guys don't get me wrong. I think xavier could be a good player. but he needs to be smarter with tbe ball. we have enough guys to bomb threes. let the veterans take care of that. I say let xavier set the bench for a while. start someone else until he proves he can be better than wha he is playing.

Otownhawker 11 years, 8 months ago

sorry if the grammar is bad im typin from a phone

Chris Shaw 11 years, 8 months ago

I was at the V.Tech/Carolina game last night in Blacksburg and the place was rockin. It was great to see Roy and the Carolina fans up close completely depressed over their season and losing now 5 of 6.

I was back behind the Carolina bench in the middle of some UNC fans and probably a couple of parents. I didn't spend a whole lot time talking to any of the UNC people, but the Hokie fans in my section loved me. I wasn't too loud and boisterous, but I fit in quite well with Hokies.

I was sporting a nice Kansas shirt that read "Kansas, The Birthplace of North Carolina Basketball" and also my lucky Kansas hat. You could say that the UNC fans that were sitting behind me showed some annoyance towards my shirt. I loved it, nonetheless! It was perfect!

The one thing I am surprised about is that Roy didn't try to escort me out of the game when he read my shirt. LOL! I guess we weren't going to have a repeat of the Presbyterian game debacle. LOL!

Tony Bandle 11 years, 8 months ago

Regarding Xavier's three point shooting...I went back and looked at some tapes prior to the Big Twelve. He was moving when he got the ball, would hit a spot, stop and pop. His shot was energized by a solid jump and finishing focus.

Since the Big Twelve, he is standing and shooting..heck...he even got a couple blocked. That just shouldn't happen with a talented, left-handed, 6'-6" born shooter. I'm not sure exactly why he quit his motion..it's almost like he is thinking to much instead of reacting instinctively.

I am not critisizing the coaching staff at all but maybe, every fourth or fifth trip down, give the guys a chance to freelance a little and use their natural ablitites. [Of course this does not include TT driving into three defenders or Sherron putting up a shot while on his way down to the floor]

Just suggesting!!

duanep5ku 11 years, 8 months ago

I think KU could have a huge problem if X decides to stay another year at Kansas, because I believe Bill banked on Xavier being a one and done player this year with his coaching decisions. Hence the red shirt player's this year that probably would have made our team much quicker on defense then having X at that spot now. Bill red shirted two players that would have been better on defense then X is right now. So by having X we sacrificed some defense this year Does any body on this site think Xavier would stay if he's still a top 10 pick? and right now the NBA still has him as a top 10. I know he should come back next year but does anyone think that could hurt the team more because if X stays which he should do. It would hurt our recruiting and he will once again be the center of attention with the team. What do you think about it should he go? or would KU be better if he does go to the NBA next year.

Tony Bandle 11 years, 8 months ago

BULLETIN..BULLETIN..It appears Arizona is heading toward NCAA Sanctions!!

Josh Selby....come on down!!!!!!

Kye Clark 11 years, 8 months ago

duanep5ku - I don't know that it will hurt the team. He should only get better with a year's conditioning and practicing. That being said, while I like the guy well enough I'd almost prefer him to go. You mentioned the redshirts (Mario Little & Travis Releford), and for those guys who waited their turn they would find a very crowded field at the 3 position. Even if we lose Cole & X (as well as Sherron), it will still be a very competitive field for playing time next year. If Cole & X were to stay, it would really gum up the works. I think my personal preference would be to bring Cole back but not X. Slide Marcus down to the 3 (the position he'll play in the NBA) and you have a monster front court with Cole & the Twins. We can't really do that this year as Withey & TRob are too unreliable, but next year they would be very servicable back-ups. Of course this situation kinda shafts Releford or Little (only one would really get the minutes backing up Marcus). The other guard spots will be way too crowded for Releford to slide down to the 2 (Brady & Tyrel at the 2, with EJ & TT at the point). However, the thought of rolling out Cole & the Twins in the starting line-up every night is just so tempting.

Rick Arnoldy 11 years, 8 months ago

Queen_Krenda, it was a play on words. Ever hear of a sense of humor?

JayCeph 11 years, 8 months ago

kushaw - loves the huevos. Wish I coulda been there.

Scott Smetana 11 years, 8 months ago

Duane... X staying is not that big of 'problem'. I think we can deal with this inconvenience.

KUshaw... thanks for the update. I love that shirt. We may not beat UNC to 2000, but we'll pass them. Then we'll catch Kentucky next year. UK will lose in the sweet 16, have all 3 frosh leave, and will then start feeling the effects of selling their program to the devil.

Oakville... thanks for the update. Continue the good posts.

LightHawk.... I believe wall took his mysterious 3rd SAT in Detroit, where Calipari has connections. Or am I thinking of Rose??

Steve Brown 11 years, 8 months ago

Pikes it was detroit, you are right, I was just connecting the AZ reported probation to the yet to be named probation/death penalty.

who gets to 2,000 1st. UNC will need to beat FSU at home 2.24.2010 to get above 1,999 by year end. A toss up game if the others go to plan.

Pentom: Wed Feb 24 (24) Florida St. L, 72-71 75 49% Home UNC

hard to hope UNC doesn't get to NIT where they would hit 2,000 this year instead of next behind us.

Bryan Wilcox 11 years, 8 months ago

If anyone is still curious about the Wiki link that CaramelMacchMan tried posting earlier, here is a link that should work.

List of teams with the most victories in NCAA Division I men's college basketball - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kettlesworth 11 years, 8 months ago

I am very proud, almost like a father, of the way the Morris Twins have played this year and totally disagree that they need an Attitude Adjustment. If they ever did, it's already happened anyway.

I'd like to see us shoot more layups in Big XII play.

Queen_Krenda 11 years, 8 months ago

Explain to me what the the playon words is? Please...

This article is a cheap shot. The Morrises Twins have been examplary in attitude adjustment this year. They are blossiming into two truly great players, and I think a lot of the credit should go to Danny Manning. Why cheap shot them with this story

Marcia Parsons 11 years, 8 months ago

I hate to hear all these comments picking on X. Here is a kid who never had to do anything except shoot all through his early career. Now he's trying to fit in with a new group, learn to defend, remember where he's supposed to be and where everyone else should be. New plays coming in all the time. His brain is probably spinning all through the game. No wonder he can't focus on his shot. We need to give him a break. He needs a game where he can keep shooting until he gets his rhythm back, and these recent close games have made that impossible. Maybe this Nebraska game will be it. Send everyone else to rebound, and just let him shoot until it starts feeling right again.

kshaw04 11 years, 8 months ago

Queen_Krenda...are you kidding that you don't get the play on words. This wasn't about attitude it was about endurance and the affect of altitude on it.

jaybate 11 years, 8 months ago

Otownhawker,

u r th man on fone typ.

But I have to respectfully disagree on X.

It still seems to me that Self knows what Xavier and Tyshawn can do. Lest we forget, X dropped:

31 on LaSalle, 15 on Michigan 12 on Cal 15 on Temple 14 on Cornell

Before starting his decline January 10th:

10 on UTenn 6 on NU 14 on TT 12 on Baylor 4 on ISU (but being credited with good D by Self) 9 on MU (on only 8 shots) 6 on KSU (on only 5 shots) 3 on CU (on only 4 shots)

These are the drivers of what has happened to X:

a) Cole came back to health and X had to give up 5 shots a game to him almost certainly at Self's insistence (cutting him from 12-15 back to 8-10 FGAs);

b) X hit an inevitable shooting slump after a scintillating start;

c) X started being asked to play more D, got tired legs sooner in games, started pressing on his shots, and making some TOs;

d) then he ran into KSU (incredibly rough) and CU (chase defense), two very tough kinds of teams for freshmen to play against; and

e) he got a little down, because Self had to pull him for TOs from pressing.

jaybate 11 years, 8 months ago

This all spells a slump to me, not a structural problem. And the slump is combined with Self taking the opportunity to give Brady and Tyrel a lot of experience, to get them ready for the stretch run, and giving X (and Tyshawn) a rest to get them rested for the stretch run, also. Remember, before semester break, X got almost no rest, and Tyshawn only got a disciplinary break with The Prophet tried briefly and not being able to perform against cupcakes. Self saw what happened to Brady last season when he played a young player 30 minutes a game. Brady ran out of gas down the stretch. He doesn't want that to happen to X or Tyshawn this season. But I digress.

Back to the progression of X's season most recently vs. KSU and then Boulder.

Self has a very simple philosophy against teams who play unique styles of play, as KSU and CU do. If you've got more and better talent, don't finesse them. Get down in the dirt with them, play to their strength and grind them down. This is very General Eisenhower kind of strategy, when Eisenhower held all the aces in France. Everyone whines and complains about it making things closer than necessary. Why aren't you more like Rommel, the Desert Fox? Why don't you adopt this clever, new tactic, or that one? But the business of an army is not just to win as fast as possible. It is to raise likelihood of victory to the greatest possible certainty and leave the enemy with nothing left to fight with, when you are victorious.

Eisenhower shifted into war of attrition mode in Europe precisely to draw out every last German solider he could kill and piece of equipment he could destroy, on the way to Berlin. Patton wanted to win, so he liked an end run strategy. Eisenhower was tasked not just with winning but ensuring unconditional surrender. He wanted nothing left in the end but the American Army, and he succeeded. Could he have gotten to Berlin quicker? Of course, but then he would have had a sizeable German force in his wake that could cause him vastly more problems after victory was declared (note: this was a lesson forgotten and relearned the hard way in Iraq by the way).

jaybate 11 years, 8 months ago

Self against KSU and CU is saying we are going to engage the inferior enemy from the tip off and we are going to stay engaged with him in a war of attrition to the final buzzer and there is going to be nothing left of the enemy when we are done with him, no hope that he can beat us in a second game. The score may be close, but we will have taken him on on his own terms and we will have defeated him and he will have no illusions the next time we meet that he can beat us with his strategy. And the second game we will crush him early and on our terms and we will leave him for the carrion to clean.

Self's Eisenhower act in fact eliminates the chance of outsmarting yourself, which is the only real risk playing an unorthodox team with less talent on its home floor. It takes nerves and a will of steel to have a Battle of the Bulge, against a lesser foe, but it is in fact the only way to truly destroy and demoralize an inferior opponent and not just beat them, and leave them with the hope that they can live to fight another day in a rematch game.

With KSU, its football vs. a team running Huggins' Dad's weirdo east Ohio high school basketball offense, which sends tons of cutters reversing across court and scraping off against post men to run out to the three and take passes to pop treys. This offense requires chase defense against some very athletic guards and an athletic 3. Surprise, surprise, Tyshawn and Brady get 30 minutes a piece.

With CU, its the Princeton system. Again, you have to play chase defense, but this time its against slow, not very athletic guys back picking (and fouling) you silly. And when CU is on defense, they're playing a lot of match up zone and a recognition game on defense. Surprise, surprise, Brady, Tyshawn and Tyrel see a lot of minutes. And why shouldn't they. It allows Self to win a game essentially resting Xavier. Xavier may grumble about it, but the next game when Self is resting Brady, Tyshawn and Tyrel, more, and Self says, "Go get'em, X," as he has in the past, X's legs are going to carry him for a whole game and likely as not his he will come out of his slump.

Self is not icing Xavier. He's just cutting back his minutes, resting him more, getting his legs back under him, trying to protect him from a lot of criticism about his slump, and waiting for the right team to get his shooting confidence back against.

jaybate 11 years, 8 months ago

And down the road, when we play Texas, or another team, that can play Cole and Marcus straight up, and we need some scoring out of the 3 spot, you'll see Xavier's minutes spike and his FGAs go back up to 12-15. And with fresh legs after a mid season rest, he'll become the natural scorer that he is, plus a guy who now understands D1 defense. He'll also have had a month to work on the weaknesses that opposing coaches have uncovered. He will very likely come out of his mid season chrysalis the way Marcus finally came out of his basically year and a half as a freshman, before coming into a full bloom soph this past month. Different players mature at different rates.

A final note of comparison on development: does anyone remember Darrell Arthur not only struggling as a freshman, but as a sophmore, too. People tend to remember his great championship game in the '08 season, or his self-benching his freshman year. But Arthur went through an extended slump his sophmore season. We all called it disappearing, because it was so complete a withdrawal from games, but it was really just a slump. And Self had to massage him through it the middle third of the season to have him ready for the stretch run. Self is a master at this.

By the same token, there is no mistaking when Self truly gives up on someone for a season. They don't play, except clean up minutes. And if they turn those down, as RR did his freshman season, they become dead-men sitting the rest of the season.

No, X is in a slump. Self is definitely coaching him as if he will be back next season, which is how he ought to do it, because that is the X's actual level of development. He should, if the NBA doesn't want him early. But that doesn't mean the NBA GM's won't draft Xavier early. As I've said before, if you need help at the 3, and can wait a year or two for X to come together, you'd be crazy not to draft him now. The flaws X has can be fixed with skills practice and weight work. What he has--a 6'6" frame able to carry another 20 pounds easily, decent agility, and a very good trey shooting eye--can't be taught, are scarce, and necessary in the L. And now that Hudy has proven to me with Marcus that weight lifting can improve vertical, X's only serious deficit--less spring than I expected--is just another thing to fix.

At least this is how I see what has gone on so far this season.

Rock chalk.

duanep5ku 11 years, 8 months ago

icthawkfan316 I would love to see Cole stay next year but if he gets the chance he probably should go to the NBA and grab the money if he can. I would be worried if he stayed every game that he could get injured next year. I also believe his family could use the money. "Oh oldalum I was not complaining about Xavier being here at all in my post. I just think it would be crowded at that spot if he stays another year and I am not sure if he would be committed to staying another year. I do agree with you that Xavier is being asked to do things this year probably for the first time in his BB life. I can see the changes in his game from the beginning of the season to what he's trying to do now. So Xaviers trying to get better. I'm OK with his game overall because Xavier is young but like many on this site, his game can also scare the s##t out of me when he has the ball sometimes. "Oh one thing I think all KU fans need to remember did anyone see the MM twins being this much improved this year from last. What a difference a year can make the twins came back this year with a strong desire to to listen and improve their game. I don't think they both combined could get a double,double last year in many games. Imagine how much better X could be if he wants to stay and improve his game but if the NBA continues to give him top 10 credit he will probably want to leave. I really believe Xavier should stay another year so he can be a great NBA player if he should go this year I would be worried that he may not reach his full NBA potential

Tony Bandle 11 years, 8 months ago

Jaybate....don't forget Xavier's left hand. It truly makes a difference in that the first instinct in a defender is to go for the right and even if it's only a split second hesitation, that may be enough to allow a lefty to fire it up clean.

Woody Cragg 11 years, 8 months ago

If Cole stays he could play himself out of a good draft spot. I think he and SC are both lottery picks right now. But I don't know how much $ X gets on potential. I wouldn"t take him real high. That said I don"t think he'll stay. There a several studs out there like Brackens I could see going way ahead of him. We'll be OK without him, but I think Mario will be great next year so the minutes are a concern. I don"t mean to bash him at all cause he has such a huge upside, but if it's in his heart to go then he should. We've a coaching staff that can get most of these kids to buy the system, with a few exceptions. Danny is tremendous with these bigs. I think you'll see a huge diff in more guys next year as well. Whoever gets hot at conf tournament time will win the big dance so there may be as many as 8 or 10 teams that fit the bill. One thing for sure, you gotta have good, consistant guard play. Hopefully we're not short at the 3 spot. RCJH!!!

Scott Smetana 11 years, 8 months ago

Thanks 10pt8. That site looks like it's about only 5 different losers who are a bit jealous. I'm a bit surprised they have internet in KY.
The blog keeps saying how "KU fans love to bash other programs, and should look at themselves". I've never seen any program bashing here except of course Mizzery. I had nothing against UK (a branch of the KU tree), but it looks like a few fans and their wonderful coach are trying to pick a fight. I'm thinking Biff in Back to the Future.

Tony Bandle 11 years, 8 months ago

10point8

Wow..what a disturbing bunch of posts. Are the UK fans so insecure that they feel obligated to lash out to cover their own fears??

Kentucky has a great tradition with great players and fans, but their list of transgressions, sanctions and punishments is at least triple that of Kansas. And, as far as I know, Coach Self has never had a season forfeited, much less two, unlike someone else we all know and love that is currently part of the UK program. :}

It's kind of sad to see that sort of uninformed animosity so prevalent. I guess by having our noses up in the air, they mean we have the gall to spell correctly with proper punctuation when forming full and complete sentences. [Plus having most of our teeth!!]

duanep5ku 11 years, 8 months ago

I guess 10pt8 Is a UK loser trying to drawl our attention to the UK site

Steve Brown 11 years, 8 months ago

Give the kid a break, let him retake the test.

Provide him a #2 pencil in a room with the test and Bobby Knight to facilitate, if he passes all is forgiven if his score resembles his 1st time, then oh well....welcome back Gillispie.

A 400 pt. rise is not in the realm of possiblities unless JW had swine flu and H1N1 the first time. Calimari knows all this and why he has started yelling at him. Coach Cal will be HC of Cavs in couple years away from college ball and our rules.

Jack Wilson 11 years, 8 months ago

I am a big X believer. My only question right now is effort .. because I can't tell. But shooters have slumps. I say play the guy, let me work through it. Let's be patient with him. If X isn't a force, we are a much weaker team. And there is no alternative. Play the man.

docileboy 11 years, 8 months ago

Regarding the "save UK"....Say it ain't so.

AsadZ 11 years, 8 months ago

drgnslayr , jaybate: Good comments on X. I agree with your comments/assesments.

milehighhawk 11 years, 8 months ago

Queen_Krenda: Really? You don't get it?? I mean....Really???

jaybate 11 years, 8 months ago

10point8,

Always, those defending wrong eventually argue that everyone else is doing it, too.

FairgroveJayhawk 11 years, 8 months ago

Someone spoke earlier of TT's regression and later questioned if "Tyshawn needs to experience the kind of improvement we'd all expected coming off a solid freshman season and great play on the U-19 national team." Looking up his numbers from last year and this year to date, he's really not regressed as much as I would have thought but maybe we have all expected greater improvement.

2009 FG 50.6% 3ptFG 36.4% FT 72.4% PTs/G 9.7 REB/G 2 A/TO 1.3

2010 FG 44.5% 3ptFG 35.5% FT 70.9% PTs/G 7.1 REB/G 2.5 A/TO 1.8

I'm hoping to see those big improvements to close out the season.

jaybate 11 years, 8 months ago

FairgroveJayhawk,

Thanks for putting these numbers up. This puts TT in much better perspective. His numbers are about what they were last season and reflect the bite Xavier has taken out of his shot allotment. I expect TT to ramp up down the stretch.

Mike Kendall 11 years, 8 months ago

Chuckberry32---

Please give us your opinion on 10point8's link to UK. Thanks!

Mike Kendall 11 years, 8 months ago

Some interesting games in the Big 12--here are the ones that caught my attention: (feel free to give your honest opinions--I know you will)

***Texas @ Oklahoma---Are the Longhorns looking past the Sooners before the host the Big Monday game with the Jayhawks? Assuming we blow out Nebraska, hope Texas has a struggle with OU. I will be keeping a close eye on this one!

***Baylor @ Texas A&M---Only reason I am interested in this game is because Coach Turgeon just stopped Missouri's 32-game home winning streak--no easy thing, by the way--and, the Jayhawks have a visit to Turgeon's house on February 15th. Nothing is easy on the road, as Baylor will no doubt find out.

***Mizzou @ Colorado---Humm, I wonder if Missouri will be gasping for air when they put their 40 minutes of heck on Colorado? Another good question--how will Colorado come back from that heart-breaking loss to the Jayhawks? The last regular season game for KU is at Mizzou Arena, right before the Big 12 Tourney--I feel a little better about playing them now, since they lost to A&M. However, you know how situations can change from game-to-game! Stay tuned!

Jack Wilson 11 years, 8 months ago

Jaybate/Fairgrove: You should expect progress, and not be satisfied with less regression than you thought. The numbers Fairgrove posted are not surprising. But forget the numbers. What we SEE is alarming. The numbers Fairgrove posted have nothing to do with "shot allotment" and have zero to do with X. And what we see each game is a player that is selfish, doesn't get it, and makes poor decision after poor decision .. and worse, a propensity to make poor decisions at the most inopportune times. The anti-clutch player, so to speak.

The compliment to Sherron is in a great position on this team to be an assist machine. But what we see is a guy who "doesn't understand his role" to quote/paraphrase the confused one himself. It is simple .. handle the ball, deliver the ball. But he still doesn't get it.

One of you hopes to see "big improvements to close out the season" and the other "expect(s)" him to "ramp up down the stretch." Unfortunately, there is nothing .. objectively, subjectively, or otherwise to suggest your hopes and expectations will be met. I wish I shared your optimism.

Scott Smetana 11 years, 8 months ago

I'm thinking a loss on Monday will not hurt us at all. In fact, it may make us a bit hungrier for post season. It would be nice to see a couple of players gain some moves/confidence in the game.

Marcia Parsons 11 years, 8 months ago

I think I've seen that Ketucky thing before. Isn't that the article that some Missouri fan wrote up a year or so ago?

Chris Corley 11 years, 8 months ago

I was just trying to rally some defense on that blog. But I think Jaybate gave some Solomonesque insight.

duanep5ku,

Why would a "Kentucky loser" make his handle "10point8"? If you don't know what "10.8" is in reference to then maybe we should be questioning where YOU are coming from.

FairgroveJayhawk 11 years, 8 months ago

HighEliteMajor - you have valid points. Self has asked Taylor to make some changes as of late. I have seen improvements in his game. He's not the most consistent player on the team but was consistent enough in Self's mind to run the team late in a game under intense pressure. A game in which we came out with a 'w'.

The numbers can't be overlooked. But then again the intangibles you speak of cannot either. Although I get insanely frustrated with the intangible inconsistencies that will not show up on a stat sheet, watching Taylor's game progress (ever so slightly it seems at times) is why I choose to remain optimistic. That's part of the fun, for me anyways, watching these guys go through struggles to achieve their potential. .....And in their struggles they've put together a pretty good record and a two game lead in the conference.

Jack Wilson 11 years, 8 months ago

Fairgrove - But Taylor didn't play OT vs. Colorado, until the last few seconds, right? Self had Aldrich, Marcus, Reed, Brady, and Sherron in nearly the whole OT. I viewed that as a shift a bit by Self, given what he saw from Taylor vs. KSU. I'm just not sure Reed gives us anything better, really, except less risk.

I think what frustrates me most with Taylor is the only thing he is lacking is between the ears .. if he would just listen to Self. He could be an assist machine, and that will ultimately be his best path to the NBA.

Taking a step back, we can't expect perfection and I think that's what you're saying. I agree .. have to enjoy the ride a bit, so to speak and not nit-pick. The X factor this year is not X, as expected, but Marcus. His progress has probably been the most fun for me to watch this year. And I remain optimistic on X, though .. he'll bust it open soon.

FairgroveJayhawk 11 years, 8 months ago

HighEliteMajor - I agree with Taylor not listening and trusting in Self 100%. Taylor comes across to me as a real hard headed kid, which is not such a bad thing. Collins is hard headed as well but obviously gets what Self is telling him.

I think Self has an enormous job in assisting Taylor to learn the balance between Taylor's capacities as 'superman' and 'consistent team player'. But when Taylor gets it, watch out. He'll be another great weapon in KU's arsenal.

I too am extremely excited with Marcus' conference play. Who would have thunk it? Lets hope X shakes off the funk against Nebraska.

Rock Chalk

Steve Brown 11 years, 8 months ago

JBate: Patton advised Ike to not stop at Berlin but to continue to roll into Stalingrad/Moscow. Would have been a different world today.

2,000. Missou: last game of our reg. season could potentially be our 2,000. how fitting. For a team possibly headed to the Big 10 conference, we've had some memorable contests with dem tigers.

UNC. Tortoise & Jackrabbit: who gets 2,000 first depends in large part the outcome 2.24 UNC home in a toss up game v. FSU. UNC has 9 games left and needs 3 wins, they are underdawg in 6 & favored in 2 and then FSU 50/50. Go Seminoles.

slyr: you say- much of it is based on alleged behavior without proof (concerning Wall. correct we don't have proof, regarding his 400 pt. better SAT score, reminds me a bit of Eddie Haskel. No Mrs. Cleaver I don't know anything about his improved test scores.

Huskers: who scores last bucket tonight, Conner or TRob.

duanep5ku 11 years, 8 months ago

10point8 I just thought you were a UK person on this site sorry if I was wrong but give me a break because you do know in my defense the UK people are always posting stuff about Kansas on sites and I am sure you no that any poser can make up their screen name. So what is 10point8? in reference to