Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Kansas at home in Boulder

Jayhawks have won 17 of 18 in Boulder

Kansas guard Tyrel Reed lunges for a steal from Colorado guard Dwight Thorne II during the second half Saturday, Jan. 17, 2009 at the Coors Events Center in Boulder, Colorado. Left is Kansas guard Tyshawn Taylor.

Kansas basketball commands Big 12 standings

Kansas basketball holds a commanding lead in the Big 12 Conference. But will it be enough to hold off Texas?

— Kansas University’s basketball team last Saturday won in Kansas State’s Bramlage Coliseum for the 21st time in 22 seasons.

It’s off to another so-called home-away-from-home tonight.

The No. 1-ranked Jayhawks (20-1, 6-0) meet Colorado (11-10, 2-5) in an 8 p.m. tip in 11,064-seat Coors Events Center, where KU has won six consecutive games and 17 of the last 18.

“Hopefully the weather will be good, so some of our fans can get there,” KU coach Bill Self said.

His Jayhawks pasted the Buffs, 73-56, last Jan. 17 before a crowd of 10,212, that included about 6,000 Crimson and Blue supporters.

“I know Colorado is drawing better, (but) it’s been really nice seeing that many people there support us,” added Self, who is 12-0 versus the Buffs, 6-0 in Boulder.

The Buffs admittedly were shocked and embarrassed last season as KU fans chanted, “This is our house!” as the final seconds ticked off the clock.

“It’s the biggest opportunity we’ve had this year. We’ll have more CU fans this time than KU fans, hopefully,” Colorado senior Dwight Thorne said in an interview with the Boulder Daily Camera.

Considering the game falls on a weeknight instead of Saturday, there’s a darn good chance CU will have a majority tonight. KU families from Western Kansas might not be able to make the trip to Boulder with work and school on the agenda for Thursday.

For the record, the Buffs have averaged 5,416 fans in 11 home dates. CU drew crowds of 6,957 for Baylor (78-71 win), 10,852 for Kansas State (87-81 loss) and 7,108 for Nebraska (72-60 win).

“They are 10-1 at home,” said Self, whose KU teams have won by 15, 15, 12, 29, 13 and 17 at Coors. “It’s the best team Colorado has had in recent memory. I think four of their last five losses have all been under six points.”

The Buffs most recently have had close calls against K-State, Iowa State (64-63) and Texas A&M (67-63) to go with larger defeats to Oklahoma State (90-78) and Texas (103-86).

“Their personnel is better. The kid from Grandview is very good,” Self said of Alec Burks, a 6-foot-6, 185-pound freshman guard from Missouri, who has emerged as one of the top rookies in the Big 12.

Burks, CU’s second-leading scorer behind Cory Higgins (16.3 ppg to 18.3), suffered a left knee sprain in Saturday’s loss at Iowa State. He wore a knee brace at practice Monday and Tuesday, according to the Denver Post. Burks said he hopes to play in tonight’s game, but it will likely be a game-time decision.

Burks has hit 53.1 percent of his shots, including 11 of 40 threes. He’s contributed 4.7 boards per game.

“That is a great get by Colorado and obviously a recruiting blunder by a lot of folks,” Self said. “I watched him play in the Missouri state finals last year. I thought he was really good then.”

Burks, who also considered Kansas State, scored 33 points and grabbed 13 rebounds in Grandview High’s 80-70 loss to Brad Beal’s St. Louis Chaminade High team in the 2009 state title game in Columbia, Mo.

“He is a good player and obviously fits Jeff’s system well. He’s hard to guard,” Self said.

Third-year CU coach Jeff Bzdelik runs a Princeton style offense, which involves a lot of cutting and precision passing. It gave KU fits in the Jayhawks’ 66-61 victory over the Buffs last season in Allen Fieldhouse.

“That Princeton offense is tough,” KU center Cole Aldrich said. “They don’t really have maybe that true center or even a true 4-(man), a guy who roams the paint. It’s spread out. They love to shoot the ball, drive the ball and get into the paint.”

Colorado’s tallest starter in a four-guard offense is 6-9 sophomore forward Austin Dufault (6.8 ppg, 3.4 rpg). Marcus Relphorde, a 6-7 junior, and Nate Tomlinson, a 6-3 sophomore, average 10.4 ppg and 5.7 ppg respectively.

“I think Cornell did,” Self said, asked if any 2009-10 nonconference foe helped the Jayhawks prepare for the Princeton style. “Michigan by far more than anybody else. They are very similar.”

KU beat Cornell, 71-66, and Michigan, 75-64, in games in Allen.

“They try backdoor, play a lot of reads,” said KU guard Tyrel Reed. “They have a whole lot of sets. It hurts us because you can’t get out and pressure as much.”

One thing is for sure. The Buffs, who are 10-1 at home and 1-9 away from Coors Center, will be energized against No. 1 tonight.

“Our players have a great desire, and they’re getting better," Bzdelik told the Daily Camera. “We know that when we play well we can compete with anybody.”

KU will return home to play Nebraska in a 5 p.m. tip Saturday.

Comments

Dr_Roach 4 years, 2 months ago

Enough banter about how bad this 21-1 and ranked #1 in the nation team is! The only reason this was not a 15 pnt win in reg. is a fluke night shooting free throws, nothing more nothing less. Stop trying to over analyze.

bhann 4 years, 2 months ago

GOOD--We won, Cole great game of rebounds, blocks, points, and only 4 to's in the 1st half. Collins 2nd half play-

Bad-Getting out-rebounded in the 1st half to a much smaller team-Having to go into overtime to a team that was missing their best player-we couldn't do that- X's bad shots from the fg's and the 3 pt. line--all 3 points X scored came from the line--He needs to take the ball to the hoop-

UGLY--FREETHROWS, 18-38-47%--very bad--7 to's in the 2nd half--Collins 1st half play-1-7 0-5 from the 3's--

Someone found out why in the fiddle CJ or Elijah was not choice instead of Teahan--A good win that should have been won by 15 or more in reg.

Joel Thomas 4 years, 2 months ago

I can't believe this game. Is it because we are talking about the 2002-03 squad that free throws are not dropping? Yeesh!

WilburNether 4 years, 2 months ago

Brady Morningstar has blown the game.

Jack Wilson 4 years, 2 months ago

tstanlick1909: My favorite game of that run was the win over Arizona in the Elite 8 .. Hinrich blocks the 3 in the final seconds. The Marquette game was a massacre.

What could have been. If we could have squeaked by Maryland in 02; we would have hammered Indiana and got the ring. How close were we to back to back, and didn't get one?

Musburger was reminding me of it in the game vs. Mizzou ... calling their Dixon, Juan Dixon. Man I still can't stand Wilcox, either.

Jack Wilson 4 years, 2 months ago

daneiorg85 .. by the way, great screen name. I was at game 6; awesome. Was at game 7, too. Still have the dirt from the pitching mound in a little dixie cup from after the game.

Anyway, I think the 2003 team did not have a 5. Collison and Graves were both 4s. But you should compare Collison to Aldrich. They are the inside post presence. My point is that I think I'd rather have Hinrich/Miles/Lee vs. Collins/ Brady/Taylor .. two are starters, the other the first guard off the bench. Whether you call them a 1 or a 2, whatever. And I agree on Langford. The comparison is then Graves vs. Marcus. Possibly Marcus, but Graves really put it together.

The weakness in 03 was the bench. Lee and Nash were the only ones to get bench minutes in the championship game .. though the smaller rotation is sometimes better. Interesting comparison.

And how the comparison between those teams changes if X plays to his talent level....

Brian Powell 4 years, 2 months ago

any one have a link for the streaming video?

pretty please?

Joel Thomas 4 years, 2 months ago

Style: While I loved watching Roy's teams run, even more so than I enjoy watching Self's team suffocate opponents, I like Self's team in a head-to-head matchup because of its balance. I think Roy's team rely too heavily on offense to the point that were it stymied, it couldn't recover with defense. Not that this happened often at all, and it didn't happen at all in conference play.

KU 2003: 85 KU 2010: 88

KU: 82 CU: 70

Joel Thomas 4 years, 2 months ago

I don't know HighEliteMajor, I might have to side with ralster here, except for the "way" part. Of course, I must preface my comparison by saying that these comparisons are always difficult, because no teams have the same architecture.

I'll start with the individual comparisons. At PG I have to take Sherron over Miles. Miles was more or less a Russell Robinson, a good passing and poor shooting quarterback (of these two I'd take Robinson because of his tenacious defense, though Self's teams compared to Roy's have been much better defensively on the whole, so I'm not saying Miles was incapable of being Robinson's defensive peer). Sherron is one of my favorite all-time Jayhawks, a leader whose charisma I don't doubt would transcend any setting, without any glaring weakness, whose lack of height is made up for by his strong, sturdy stature.

SG is a no doubter - Hinrich. Hinrich is another of my all-time Jayhawks. He was a great leader, though not quite up to Sherron's level. Still, his talent was surely Collins's equal.

SF has to go to Langford. Right now X looks like more of a liability than an asset, though I hope this changes, and all he needs to become an asset is for his shot to fall. That said I've always thought that Langford was a lesser star who attained that status on the coattails of Hinrich and Collison.

PF also goes to the 2003 squad, who ran out an all-time great in Collison. Everyone who watched it remembers that monster double-double. He was just overall solid player. The kind of guy you knew wouldn't be an NBA star, but it didn't matter because he was an awesome college player - a better college player than NBA players who are now better than him, if that makes sense. But aren't a lot of you starting to love Marcus? I bet he plays in the NBA. Less forceful but more graceful ("I like to think I have some grace." "You can't have some grace.") than Collison.

Aldrich has the clear advantage at C. Cole has returned to form and reminded us how great he can be. Particularly impressive is his defense, as he gives the other four guys on the court an enormous cushion with his shot-blocking and shot-altering skills. Graves was a nice player, but also could be a headache. He was like a less-skilled DeMarcus Cousins, all body.

Bench: the only standout on the 2003 team to me was Michael Lee, considering Simien's injury (imagine had he not been-injury prone his entire career, and in particular imagine the outcome of the 2003 team had he played in the tournament). Had Simien played, I might give 2003 the edge. 2008 wins here because of it's versatility, and the margin of victory would be larger if Morningstar were on the bench, though I say that almost begrudgingly. Taylor is much maligned, but a great boon when he plays intent on satisfying Self. Markieff is underrated - grabs rebounds, shoots a good percentage. And Reed is great shooter and nearly matches Lee, and might were he relied on more.

tstanlick1909 4 years, 2 months ago

Good stuff major...the most impressive stat was semifinal game...we beat a Marquette team with d Wadeand Steve novak by thelargest deficit in final four history

Jack Wilson 4 years, 2 months ago

Ralster: Saw your comment above saying this team may be "way better" than our 2003 team that lost in the finals. Seriously.

Collison is arguably the best power forward in KU history, at least top 3. Hinrich is in a class by himself. I'd take those two in 2003 over Sherron and Cole now. No doubt. Both players (Collison and Kirk) are better than any player on this team.

Also in the starting lineup were Aaron Miles, Jeff Graves, and Keith Langford. Right now, would you rather have Langford or X; Miles or Tyshawn/Brady; Graves or Marcus?

There is a pretty solid argument that the entire starting 5, in comparison, is better than the entire starting 5 this year, both in total and individually. I might go with Marcus over Graves, though. Plus we had Michael Lee off the bench who I would say compares favorably to Tyshawn/Brady. And don't forget, Simeon was out with a bum shoulder.

The 2003 team was a national championship team .. Collison goes 3 of 10 from the line, and Graves 2 of 7; Kirk only 30% from the field, and we lose by 3. McNamara goes crazy. This was just an off night.

This team is clearly deeper. But I'd take the 2003 straight-up. The only way this team trumps 03 is to actually win the national championship.

jhwkfan162515 4 years, 2 months ago

Let's turn the Buffaloes into chips!

RCJH!

docileboy 4 years, 2 months ago

Sorry, I stole the playing indoors/thin air line from HCBS. He used to tell the players that, so the alltitude thing didn't get in their heads.

Steve Brown 4 years, 2 months ago

Boulder: "this is our house"

we can be cocky, confident and give the chant... yet don't peah on their porch, show some respect JH nation pls or someday it'll come back around to us.

Steve Brown 4 years, 2 months ago

KY cats where are you?

Musing about whether it's better that KY gets a final four banner then taken down later or just gets the death penalty prior to March for Calimari SAT squad & Lebron Meddling.

Don't worry after reviewing the teams, I don't see a top eight, elite eight team you will beat on nuetral court. Not an issue.

Dr_Roach 4 years, 2 months ago

Mullen- Love your avatar.

Maybe we could talk health care sometime. lol.

Dr_Roach 4 years, 2 months ago

I have seen the Buff's play 3 times, twice on the road and once at home. As there record indicates they play w/ way more enthusiasm at home than away and it's not evan close. They do not play a "classic" Princeton style offense in that they run there sets quickly and by no means try to run down the clock.

Having said that...they may against KU.

Dr_Roach 4 years, 2 months ago

Thanks to the new #1 ranking I do not see this as a trap game. They are well aware of what happened to UK.

jaybate 4 years, 2 months ago

ParisHawk,

No, I have not done any QA on this; that's part of the reason for my posts on this. I was hoping to open up a discussion--hoping someone had.

I have assumed that historically Carril used to like to use up the clock on most opponents and so assumed Bzdelik must be doing the same.

Thank you for this input indicating he is not.

I am surprised and grateful to have at least part of the wool pulled from my eyes.

I will go to kenpom.com and look into this further.

Very interesting.

ParisHawk 4 years, 2 months ago

jaybate,

Do you have numbers behind your "slow play" theory? kenpom.com adjusts its stats based on number of possessions. KU is at 69.6, Colorado is at 68.5, the national average is 67.9. The site is predicting 70 possessions tonight, more than we had against KSU in regulation.

Joe Baker 4 years, 2 months ago

Game Day Hawks!!

Rock Chalk

Beat CU

jaybate 4 years, 2 months ago

“Our players have a great desire, and they’re getting better, we know that when we play well we can compete with anybody.”--Coach Bzdelik

Possible Translation: If we hold down the number of trips, we can keep the deficit appearing close against anyone.

Has anyone seen a stat that indexes point spreads between the winning and losing team's scores down to point spread/per trip? (i.e., total point spread between winner's score and loser's score divided by total trips by both teams)

This might standardize the comparison of winning and losing margins between teams that play conventional offenses and teams that play the Princeton offense. I still have a hunch that the closeness of the scores achieved in losses by Princeton teams may not be indicative of them playing unusually well, just unusually slowly.

But, as always, my hunch could be way off.

jayhawkinmullen 4 years, 2 months ago

Oh I also got

Calorado

did you mean Colarado

jayhawkinmullen 4 years, 2 months ago

jchief40,

Here are a few things I got from googling. The Official Site of Colorado Tourism - Colorado Travel Guide ...Plan your Colorado vacation activities, lodging and more online at The Official Site of Colorado Tourism - Colorado.com. www.colorado.com/ - Cached - Similar Colorado Official State Vacation Guide - The Official Site of ...Visit Colorado.com, The Official Site of Colorado Tourism to sign up and recieve the free Colorado Official State Vacation Guide. www.colorado.com/ColoradoGuide.aspx - Cached - Similar

Show more results from www.colorado.com Colorado.gov: The Official State Web PortalOfficial site of the State of Colorado. Offers history, demographic information, maps, information on business, tourist information, as well as information ...

Employment - State Agencies - Business - Job Search www.colorado.gov/ - Cached - Similar Colorado Department of RevenueState tax information and assistance including forms, current tax rates, statutes, sales tax licensing, and related statistics and reports. www.colorado.gov/revenue - Cached - Similar

Show more results from www.colorado.gov

Scott Smetana 4 years, 2 months ago

Ouch jchief... I think girls everywhere are offended.

Update from Boulder, they're announcing on the radio out here in Denver that anyone with any hoops skills is to come to Boulder tonight to help play for the buffaloes. Bad news is, Billups is dressing as Burks and Carmelo wants to beat us again. Bring them on!

jchief40 4 years, 2 months ago

1. Why is Soobawls such an idiot?

Because she's just a girl.

jchief40 4 years, 2 months ago

jayhawkinmullen - Google "Colarado" and see what you get there bud.

jayhawkinmullen 4 years, 2 months ago

4things that will inevitably be talked about after the game tonight.

1. Why did EJ not get that many minutes, the game was a blow out?

2. Was there even one Colorado fan at the game tonight?

3. Why did Jeff Whithey not get any minutes?

4. Why is Soobawls such an idiot?

jayhawkinmullen 4 years, 2 months ago

Kansas 200-Colarado 1 on news of Burks being out tonight.

Mike Kendall 4 years, 2 months ago

"Well, at least they are playing indoors so they don't have to worry about thin air."

What?????!!!!!!! Coors Events Center is an indoor arena, right???? Dumbest and most funniest statement I've ever seen!!!!!!!!!!

Vincent Patterson 4 years, 2 months ago

Wow, hadn't heard the "this is our house" thing that apparently went down last year. Karma is a U know what! Like some of the other posters on here, this game is kinda bothering me. Coming off such an emotional/physical game Saturday, and having to play in that high altitude...could spell disaster. This game will be all about effort. If the effort is there from the tip and we punch em' in the mouth from the jump, game over, but if we come out flat and let them hang around, could be upset city. That disrespect from our fans last year is going to give them an extra edge though, just wait and see. Hell, I know I would be p*ssed off...even if it is the truth!

tis4tim 4 years, 2 months ago

Word is that Burks is officially out for tonight's game.

jayhawkinmullen's score prediction is looking more accurate by the minute.

Tony Bandle 4 years, 2 months ago

Kansas outstanding travelocity can almost be a curse at NCAA time...Hawks will fill a gym anywhere.

If we get sent West...the bad news, I won't get to see them in St.Louis...the good news, we'll go through that region "like butta"!!!

Steve Brown 4 years, 2 months ago

Mullen, Pitino new CU coach I hadn't heard.

Steve Brown 4 years, 2 months ago

Rock Chalk Chant

Greely Longmont Ft. Collins Rock Chalk Chant.

To all my pals on the front range, from Cherry Hills to Castle Pines, Lake Dillon to Springs, hang your crimson & blue garage flags out today.

RCJHKU 87-69

Tuskin 4 years, 2 months ago

Right, PikesPeakSmitty... When Kansas came to Anchorage for the Great Alaska Shootout, the Rock Chalk chant echoed through the building. Jayhawk fans are nationwide, and they show up for KU games that come to town.

KGphoto 4 years, 2 months ago

Oh, you didn't know? The Coors Events Center is actually an oxygen chamber.

Thin air shouldn't bother a team that can pull solid minutes from 12 guys. By the way, the weather is great. Load up the family truckster and let's fill that puny hoops hole with crimson and blue madness!

My one game a year. It's better than Christmas.

FairgroveJayhawk 4 years, 2 months ago

It's time for X to come out of the slump, gain his confidence and finish the season strong.

Oakville, I hope you're right on seeing CJ get some meaningful minutes, but with his tailbone issue we may not get to see much of him.

Also glad to see Morningstar take what the defense has been giving in the lane the past couple of games. It's funny to watch, the other defenders don't fight through the screen and wait for him to pass, then he lays it in. He looks a bit labored while in the lane, kind of like a lame duck, but a basket is a basket. No complaints here ..... Like something I pondered earlier this season... when is Self going to let Brady open his offensive game a bit? It drew criticism then;-)

Scott Smetana 4 years, 2 months ago

Self and the team are wrong about something.... There are a few people that come from Western Kansas, but most of that KU crowd is from the Front Range area. Jayhawk nation is countrywide! Just like the West coast was at the UCLA game and East coast at the Temple game.
Us Jayhawks are passionate and everywhere!!!

Steve Gantz 4 years, 2 months ago

And because of the thin air they should move the 3 point line back because the ball travels further! Any history majors here? My memory of KU at Boulder is a rout nearly every time. The only exception was when Chauncey Billups played, perhaps that's our one loss there in the last 18? Don't really have time to look all this up.
Thanks and go Jayhawks.

vmwskywalk 4 years, 2 months ago

Bradynsdad- I'm attending the B-12 tourney this year and just purchased tickets. You can buy the individual session ticket (individual game), or you can buy the whole package (every game). The tourney has been sold out for some time, so you will have to find the tickets somewhere else. I went to StubHub. Warning: the tickets are expensive, and the hotels around the Sprint Center are almost sold out if not already. Your best bet, may be to buy a ticket to an early game, and try to buy later game tickets off of the losing fans. That worked well when I was in school, but that was years ago. You'll also have to make an assumption as to what seed KU will get in the tournament. I'm betting on #1 seed which will have them playing on Tursday March 11, at 11:30 a.m.

RockChalkGuy 4 years, 2 months ago

If the big boys were able to exploit MU's smaller lineup, this should be a beating tonight. Let's hope we don't run into another opponent shooting rediculous "prayer" shots with success. That's the only thing that could make this a long night.

Rock Chalk

Dick Murdock 4 years, 2 months ago

"Well at least they are playing indoors so they don't have to worry about the thin air." = one of the funniest comments read here in a long time!

William Blake 4 years, 2 months ago

We always have a tough time with Syracuse. If we play them this year it will no doubt come down to a buzzer beater potentially on either side.

William Blake 4 years, 2 months ago

This should be Cole's night. He's been coming on, and should have plenty of opportunities in the paint tonight, both on blocks and shots, and of course, rebounds. Hey may get another triple/double.

The twins should rack up the numbers, too. If they show up. I think they will. They are having fun win they play big, and I think that will keep them up for games from here on out. When the twins show up ready we win.

If the Hawks get out big, they will control the game pace and push CU's Princeton offense into hurrying. Good game for our guards to get plenty of steals.

Hawks are going to role. The Tennessee loss didn't settle well, and they don't want to do that again... CS warned them not to sleep through this one.

Ralster Jayhawk 4 years, 2 months ago

What I like to think of a 'relevant' yardstick regarding Syracuse is the fact we played them tough in Sprint Center in KC last year, missing alot of firsthalf bunnies that allowed the game to be close enough for them to send it into OT with a buzzerbeater 3! And that was with Johnny Flynn...at one point 'Cuse was down 7-8pts in the 2nd half...a game we coulda/shoulda/woulda won?

So, the key analysis is how much better is Syracuse this year compared to last year, and how much better is KU this year, compared to last year? My theory is that KU is definitely better (especially Twins) than last year. And TT, McM, MkM remember that loss, so should be really motivated. And there is no telling what X would do--he either benefits from dribble-drive kickouts to him for 3s, or gets transition buckets, or has a big night in non-scoring ways. I dont see him personally dribble penetrating vs Syracuse zone...It will be Sherron, TT, Brady, Tyrel and the KU bigs vs Syracuse.

bradynsdad 4 years, 2 months ago

with the big twelve tournament coming up can anyone tell me how they sell tickets. is it by game, by day or just an all around package deal. i have had the pleasure of alan field house but never the tournament. my company is shutting down for two weeks and its during the tournament.

Ralster Jayhawk 4 years, 2 months ago

Amber, I agree, and think this KU team is stronger, perhaps way-stronger than that 03 KU team that lost to Syracuse. And this season, I am not afraid for KU to play anyone in the nation. Part of that confidence is not just homeristic confidence in "my" team, but also looking at the national scene and considering each of the current top10 teams--they all have a big weakness somewhere. The most dangerous foe is probably Syracuse this year. But KU just needs to go out and do all the things we do, and that is a whole lot to throw at a tourney opponent. Wear the opponent's shoe for a minute and you realize KU coming at you is a helluva lot to prepare for...

Brett Arnberger 4 years, 2 months ago

I agree with you Oakville. You know what team it reminds me of??? The 2002-2003 team. I loved that team. Loved the leadership we had with Hinrich & Collison and the young, talented group around them with some (not much) experience. Kirk & Nick took over games when they needed to, the same as Cole & Sherron do. Both teams had/have good supporting casts but know who the leaders are. That team made a run to the title game and came up just short against Syracuse. I could see this team making a run and again possibly meeting Syracuse. Could be an eerily similar year. Hopefully this year the outcome results in 2 NC's in 3 years!

VegasJhawk09 4 years, 2 months ago

I am very enthralled with this team! These guys are good, the best. Ive been doing alot of geek basketball research this season and Ive decided two things. KU is just as talented and experienced and deep as they were in '08 and the only other team that comes close to KU is Syracuse. Here is my breakdown. I use the SI/CNN sports site and the Kenpom site and the Yahoo sports site for all of my info.

Rank - ttl points scored - points allowed.

1 KU 84.7/4th - 62.5/46th

2 Nova 85.2/3rd- 70.5/184th

3 'Cuse 82.4/8th - 63.3/71st

4 UK 82.2/10th - 66.0/102nd

5 MSU 76.5/42nd - 63.765th

6 Wv 73.4/84th - 62.0/39th

7 Gtwn 72.9/93rd - 62.8/49th

8 Prdu 75.3/59th - 62.3/44th

9 Tx 85.3/2nd - 67.5/129th

10 KSU 83.1/9th - 68.7/151st

10 Duke 81.9/12th - 62.8/50th

Notes : As the conference season is almost half way done, Id like to add one more way of differentiating between the top 5 teams. The ones I think have the best chance at making the Final Four this year.

1. KU has 8 players with 15+ min/game. 5 of those shoot better than 50% and 4 of those average 10+ points per game with 4 more capable of doing so and have done so.

2. Nova also has 8 with 15+min/game. 2 shooting >50%, and 3 with 10+ pts/game and 4 coming up on it.

3. 'Cuse has 7 with 15+min/game, 5 shooting >50%, and 4 with 10+ pts/game and 3 close to it.

4. Uk has 6 with 15+min/game, 2 shooting >50% and 4 with 10+pts/game and 2 close to it.

5. MsU has 7 with 15+min/game, 3 shooting >50% and 4 with 10+pts/game and 2 close to it.

KU clearly has the deeper and better offensive team. According to Kenpom they are in the top 5 at defense too. Just to compare, the 2008 team had an Adj.Offense of 125.3(2) & Adj.def of 82.8(1) The 2010 team has an Adj off of 123.5(2) and Adj def. of 85.2(4) pretty darn close.

I am going to make an early prediction of KU Syracuse Kentucky and Wvirginia or Purdue for the final4. Elite 8- those five plus Duke, Tx and Michigan St. 2008 was the year KU won it all, can they do it again this year? I think they have a great great chance.

bradynsdad 4 years, 2 months ago

pound it inside. they dont have an answer.

Tony Bandle 4 years, 2 months ago

I agree with all...let's not get "South Carolined" as UK did, although the experience factor on the Hawks is light years ahead of the Widcats.

Ideally, the next two games get decided early therefore CJ, Withey, Robinson and EJ get maximum playing time and experience. I know my heart stopped when Sherron went down at KSU, so the deeper we go the better.

I don't know about the rest of you, but for some reason, out of the 44 teams I have had the pleasure to cheer for, this one is one of my favorites. I don't know if it's Cole and Sherron coming back, all the talented kids, the overcoming of adversity, the sometimes maddening absurdity of play, but I find this team really, really interesting and still far from perfect.

Am I crazy!!??

Matt Bowers 4 years, 2 months ago

Watch out for the TRAP. This is a classic trap game as mentioned before hand for many different reasons. It is hard to stay up an entire season, especially with a bullz eye on your back. It will be close, but I don't think anyone has forgotten the fact that KU fans chanted "this is our house!" Should be a good game.

I think mvjay's prediction is most accurate.

KU 73 CU 67

Rock Chalk

Brett Arnberger 4 years, 2 months ago

My family is headed out to boulder this afternoon from Western Kansas. There are four families I work with that are headed out for the game and another dozen or so from my town. Western KS will be there to support the HAWKS! RCJH!!!

KU - 81 CU - 64

KUbsee69 4 years, 2 months ago

docileboy ... I hope you were joking. If not, enroll in a science class.

bhann 4 years, 2 months ago

KU 90--Colo. 70--They can score, but are not to great on defense. I hope X takes the ball to the hoop more and works on the asst.'s.

I look for a 20 point game out of Marcus to make up for the ksu game.

We need to get the t.o's under 10-

I hope to see more of the bench this game with at least 5 minutes of playing time. It is getting that time of year where the dept of our bench is going to help us on the road.

Go Hawks!!

huggybearhawk 4 years, 2 months ago

rawkhawk 4 years, 2 months ago

wish this game could have been on a weekend...a few of us KU fans from the western slope came out last year. I'm hoping for a good turn-out of Jayhawk fans from the front range. RCJH

John Myers 4 years, 2 months ago

Let's not sleep on this one, Hawks! Amp up, go in there, and knock 'em out!!

On a side note, did anyone happen to see one of CU's long snappers - Austin Bisnow - on American Idol last night? What an embarrassment for the school. (yeah, I just admitted to watching AI.. lol)

slowplay 4 years, 2 months ago

The team is past the "take it for granted" stage of the season. If they lose it will be because of cold shooting or foul trouble. That said, CU has no one who can stop Aldrich or Morris. The "bigs" will dominate. Cole and Marcus will top 20 pts. and 10 rebounds. Whithey should also get some nice PT. I see a big lead early and and players like EJ and TRob getting some action. KU 87 - CU 67.

tis4tim 4 years, 2 months ago

Time to take out some frustration on behalf of our football team. If Burks is out, CU is going to have it really tough tonight. But, I'm also curious to see if Sherron and Kieff have any lingering injury issues.

I'm terrible at this, but:

KU 85 CU 66

mutt627 4 years, 2 months ago

I just moved to Denver from Lawrence a month ago to start a new job after graduating this past summer. I will be in Boulder tonight with 8 other KU grads from work. Hopefully we have 65+% KU fans there tonight. I miss not being able to go to every single game like I used to, but tonight, I will get that feeling back a little. Rock Chalk.

Dyrk Dugan 4 years, 2 months ago

today's goal: survival. pure and simple. two big time emotional games, one at home and one on the road vs. your two chief rivals.....how can we not be down a bit?

KU 73 CU 67

just get out of Dodge with the W. Rock Chalk!

Kevin Huffman 4 years, 2 months ago

This game scares me. What can I say....it seems like the type of "take it for granted" game that has jumped up and bit them in the past.

FairgroveJayhawk 4 years, 2 months ago

It's my Favorite Day!!! GAME DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Smoked Buffalo- Yummy!

docileboy 4 years, 2 months ago

jhwkfan162515 4 years, 2 months ago

I see pwnage on the horizon for Colorado! RCJH!

kusayzone 4 years, 2 months ago

Taking care of business----learning to focus for 40 minutes every night----finding who has the hot hand--- finally pounding the ball inside to the big boys= Success!