Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Greatest KU games: No. 7

Jacque’s shot shocks Hoosiers

Kansas University’s Jacque Vaughn (11) defends an Indiana player. Vaughn later hit the game-winning shot, a guarded three-pointer, in KU’s 86-83 overtime victory over the Hoosiers on Dec. 22, 1993.

Original J-W story

• Check out the Journal-World's original story from this game

photo

KU Athletics Photos

Kansas star Steve Woodberry drives for a shot against Indiana.

Ten greatest games

As the countdown continues, look back at the ten greatest games here:

8 - Rallyin' in Allen

9 - Roy's boys run wild vs. 'Cats

10 - Collison hooks 'Horns

Editor’s note: This is the fourth story in the Journal-World’s series of the top 10 victories in Kansas University hoops history. Introducing No. 7:

When 12th-ranked Indiana strolled into Allen Fieldhouse on Dec. 22, 1993, the stage was set for a fantastic showdown between powerhouse programs. Not only did the two schools have great tradition on their sides, but both were ranked in the Top 15 at the time, and both were just a few seasons removed from national championships — KU in 1988, Indiana a year earlier.

The way former Jayhawk Steve Woodberry remembers it, however, he was the man who was oh-so-close to becoming the hero of the game.

But thanks to the stout defense played by the Hoosiers and the extreme savvy of a highly touted freshman named Jacque Vaughn, this game will forever be remembered as the night Vaughn hit the game-winner and effectively announced his arrival to the college basketball world.

With the game tied at 83 in overtime, Kansas secured possession and had the fate of the game in its hands. The natural instinct for then-KU coach Roy Williams was to draw up a play for Woodberry, a senior and the team’s leading scorer.

“The time before, coach (Williams) had drawn a play up and I hit a shot,” Woodberry said. “Coming off of that, we were going to run the same play, but Indiana defended it really well, took me away, and left Jacque with only one option, and that was to shoot it. He took a couple of dribbles and gathered himself, gave a shot-fake but the guy didn’t go for it, so he just rose up above his man and shot the ball.”

Swish.

Kansas wins. Vaughn’s a hero. The first time of many that such words would be used to describe the point guard’s play during his four seasons at KU.

“I just remember going Christmas shopping during the three or four days we had off after that game, and all anybody wanted to talk about was that game and Jacque’s shot,” said former Jayhawk Greg Gurley, who played 15 minutes in the victory against IU. “I don’t really remember what play was called, but, no offense to Jacque, I can pretty much guess that him shooting from the outside wasn’t the first option. But that was Jacque. Even though he wasn’t a great shooter, he made big shots.”

Vaughn finished the night three of eight from the field — including two of four from three-point land — for 13 points. He added five assists and two steals to his stat line.

Although Vaughn’s heroics stole the show, the game had plenty of other interesting storylines. The victory marked the fourth time in four seasons that the Jayhawks had defeated Indiana. That stretch included three times in a 12-month span.

“That was what I remember being so cool about it,” Gurley added. “During my four years at Kansas we were 1-3 against Iowa State and 1-3 against Nebraska, but we found a way to be beat Indiana every time.”

Of course, in those days, beating Indiana meant beating Bobby Knight. And, in many ways, that made the victory even sweeter for the players and the fanatics who packed the gym. In fact, that game — specifically the moment after Vaughn’s game-winner — often has been tossed into the debate concerning loudest Allen Fieldhouse moments in history.

“The thing about the Fieldhouse is it doesn’t matter what time of year it is — people still pack the gym,” Woodberry said. “Playing against Bobby Knight and Indiana, it was a great atmosphere. I’ll tell you who played well was (Indiana senior guard) Damon Bailey. He had 36 points and he hit some clutch shots and some timely shots. It was just a great game with two good teams going back and forth at each other.”

In the end, KU’s balance seemed to wear the Hoosiers down. Five Jayhawks scored in double figures that day, with forward Richard Scott leading the way with 23 points and 10 rebounds. Vaughn and Woodberry each scored 13, while Patrick Richey added 12 and Scot Pollard chipped in 10. Meanwhile, Bailey, Alan Henderson and Pat Graham accounted for 74 of Indiana’s 83 points.

In 1997 the annual award given to KU’s single-season assist king was renamed to include Vaughn’s name in the title. The guy they called “JV” may have been known for his fancy passes and relentless defense, but the thing that so often comes to mind first when people think back about No. 11 is his shot against Indiana.

“Boy, I remember that one,” said former KU player and assistant coach Jerry Waugh, who was in attendance that day as a fan. “Tough shot. That was a game between two great basketball schools and, from an historic standpoint, that was really special. But then for Jacque Vaughn to end the game with a shot like that, that just made it even more special.”

Added Woodberry: “Late in the game like that, he didn’t have any choice but to take the shot. But you know, during his four years here, Jacque always played with a lot of composure, so I wasn’t surprised by that.”

Comments

mojayhawk 4 years, 6 months ago

Jacque was the quickest guard I ever saw play. That is until Sherron came along. Sherron is like JV on overdrive, PLUS a more deadly shooter. What a privilege to see both of these men in Jayhawk uni's!

ohjayhawk 4 years, 6 months ago

That was an awesome game! I remember that I had been done with finals for a few days, but I put off flying back to Ohio for Christmas just to go to this game. It was definitely the loudest the Fieldhouse was of the games I attended.

Toto_the_great 4 years, 6 months ago

Question, how could Gurley be 1-3 against ISU and 1-3 against NU in 4 years? Didn't they play home and home series? Are those road records?

farnamjayhawk 4 years, 6 months ago

Didn't Jacque jump up on the scorers table after he made the shot???

As far as being one of the loudest moments in Fieldhouse history, well it has to be close. The place just erupted!!! I was hoping that this game would make this list.

Toto, I wondered the same thing. Did he mean the road games at Nebraska and Iowa State?

Kevin Huffman 4 years, 6 months ago

ohjayhawk: I remember the same kind of thing. It was Sophomore year for me, and you're right. I think I was at least done with Finals the Monday before that. And in fact, I had two guys who I was driving back to St. Louis that were also already done with Finals. We partied that weekend, stayed for that Monday night game and left that Tue. morning to head back on what? The 22nd or 23rd? I also remember that while there was that sense of euphoria I still headed home and caught the end of Missouri / Illinois which I think was on ESPN2 overlapping our game that had been on ESPN or something like that. Somebody as we were headed out after that game had written in the fogged up window of the Fieldhouse ":02" as Jacque's shot went in with just 2 seconds left. Might've had decimals to it but I don't remember that part.

Totl_the_great. Maybe through the '92 / '93 season it was only Gurley's Sophomore year (honestly, I don't remember), but that would explain the 1-3 records.

Kevin Huffman 4 years, 6 months ago

I don't know if it was the "loudest" AFH had been (while I was there anyway), but it was certainly the "BEST" feeling I ever had there. Probably 2nd would be yet another nonconference game in that game against then defending champs UCLA, when we were down 15 at Half and ended up winning by 19!!!! Boy, oh boy, if there was one single half that we hated the refs more I couldn't think of it. We got on them good time going into Halftime of that game!!!!

Maybe I'm biased, but next on my list after that game would be practically every game against Missouri while I was there (don't remember losing to them while I was there...in Lawrence anyway).

Michael Leiker 4 years, 6 months ago

No fond memories of Jacque Vaughn ralster? I'm sad for you.

jacqueshock 4 years, 6 months ago

Yes! I'm glad this game made the list. Jacque Vaughn is why I came up with the handle Jacque Shock. When his three went in, I ran through the house - "Ohhhhh!"

twowheels 4 years, 6 months ago

farnamjayhawk -

I think it was Richard Scott who jumped on the table slapping high-fives with the crowd.

Awesome game.

kushaw 4 years, 6 months ago

I was at this game! Freakin awesome, but I find it a little hard that it is in the Top 10.

Steve Gantz 4 years, 6 months ago

Sounds like a great game. I have zero memory of it unfortunately, which I guess leads me like kushaw wondering if it's a top 10 game. Oh well it's just a subjective list. Who cares?!

Royaljayhwk 4 years, 6 months ago

Awesome game....one of my first memories of a KU game, especially since I live in Indiana now. This was a game to look forward to every year and it would be nice to seem them start the serius up again! Some very good games in Bloomington too!

Ryan Shelton 4 years, 6 months ago

This was my first ever game in Allen Fieldhouse!!! It was so awesome. He nailed that three and the student section just kind of... ended up in a dogpile! I was somewhere among the mass of bodies raising my arms and screaming! I was just a freshman at the time attending another school (lifelong Jayhawk fan though!) and had to somehow convince my mother that the game was more important than my Grandmother's family Christmas party. I felt bad about missing the party, but I'll remember that game forever. Afterwards I thought to myself that every single game must be that much fun to watch. I will never again in person have an experience like I had that night.

capnwacky 4 years, 6 months ago

Absolutely...without question...one of my favorite and most vivid memories of AFH when I was a student. Jacque will always be my favorite Jayhawk and that moment was the beginning of it.

Scott MacWilliams 4 years, 6 months ago

That was a great game! I have lots of memories of Jacque Vaughn, but the one that really sticks in my mind was hilarious. I can't remember who we were playing, but they had just scored. As they were jogging back to their defensive positions,Vauhghn pulled a fast one. JV kind of got right in and hid behind one of their bigs as he plodded right down the center of the court. Just before they got to the three-point line, he turned on the jets, looped in for an easy lay-up before they even knew he was there. Classic Jacque Vaughn!!

honk_for_hawks 4 years, 6 months ago

I'll admit I'm too young to remember this game as I was only 5 at the time, but I do remember vaughn so fast and such a great passer. To this day, he's the reason I don't even care if I score in a pickup game, there is no better feeling than setting up all the shots that led to the win and defending well enough that your man didn't score.

hawk_of_ages 4 years, 6 months ago

Ralster, don't be bagging on Jacque because he wasn't a good shooter. The same was true of some of those you list as favorites, like Miles, Langford and RussRob. This year, the same is true of Tyshawn.

I don't know where you get the idea that Roy had a moratorium on outside shooting by big men. I can remember plenty of perimeter shots from Gooden and Collison.

Also, a correction: Darrell Arthur didn't hit a three in the comeback against Memphis; it was a long two. I remember that because Billy Packer, true to form, actually criticized the shot, even after Darrell swished it, because it was a perimeter shot that wasn't a three. I think we can all be thankful that was Billy's last game.

Tad Smith 4 years, 6 months ago

I was at this game as well (with Oklahawk58). The way I remember it, JV also hit a triple at the end of regulation to send it into OT. Does anyone else remember that part?

MDHawk 4 years, 6 months ago

I was nine when this game was played...and I remember nearly all of it. JV was one of my all-time favorites to watch, and that shot was one of his best...no question.

northlawrence 4 years, 6 months ago

newly married - first game to take the new wife - got offered 200 per ticket on the way up the sidewalk - thought long and hard - pocket 400 - go to a local establishment and watch the game - decide to stay - wife thinks i am nuts (she has never been in afh) jv hits the shot - we turn to each and she says - that was worth it - she was hooked

jayhawkdropout 4 years, 6 months ago

after this game i began the habit of screaming "JACQUE VAUGHN IS THE MAN!" as loud as i could every home game.
also, Richard Scott: most underrated Jayhawk of the Roy Williams era?

Lance Hobson 4 years, 6 months ago

Wish he did that against Syracuse in '96. Or just didn't turn the ball over running around like a madman against Arizona in '97.

Mike Kendall 4 years, 6 months ago

Jacque Vaughn was one of my favorite players because he was a smart player and a Californian, one of many that Roy recruited from the Golden State--man, we had a pipeline to CA. I still have the laminated cover of SI of Jacque when the Hawks were preseason #!. Although I do remember this Indiana game, my best memory of Vaughn will always be that UCLA game where we were down by 15 at half time, only to come back, thanks to Vaughn, and win the game. Greatest comeback in Jayhawk history! Enough said.

DCLawHawk 4 years, 6 months ago

Great choice. What an indelible performance! I had been a Jayhawks fan since at least the Final Four in '86, but that game was my first in AFH. My sister was a student at the time, and she snuck me into the game with a student ticket and her roommate's brother's student ID when I was home on Christmas break. My dad went to Purdue (in Len Dawson's era), so my sister and I had been reared from a very young age to detest Bobby Knight (and love the KC Chiefs). We were excited to get to see the Hawks take on the Hoosiers together. I distinctly remember the student crowd around me collectively yelling "Nooooo!" as Jacque put up the shot, but when he flushed it the crowd cheered as loudly as I've ever heard. Experiencing that amazing atmosphere permanently cemented my love for Kansas basketball and even moved the Jayhawks just ahead of the Chiefs as my favorite sports team.

doubled96 4 years, 6 months ago

Loudest game I was ever at in AFH. Great game. Remember being about 8 rows behind team bench in student section (great seats!) and after that shot I (we) were tackled from behind by friends further up in crowd. I was screaming at top of lungs and couldn't even hear myself. Still get goose bumps thinking about it.

Dyrk Dugan 4 years, 6 months ago

i was fortunate to be there...very loud, great ending, great game, ....first game with my father-in-law...and the first time i've ever seen Bobby Knight up close.

i waited for the IU team after the game...and i was walking next to Coach Knight toward the bus afterwards...i'm sure he thought i was a bit nuts, but there were hordes of people next to him from IU...

anyway, i'm telling him how much i admire his coaching, his record, how hard his teams play...and on and on....and he looks down...Bob Knight is a big guy...and says "get out of the way kid, you bother me!"....I'm 28 years old at the time. Hilarious.