Wednesday, February 3, 2010

CU’s Burks won’t play Wednesday night against KU

Colorado freshman guard Alec Burks will not play in Wednesday night's game against Kansas, CU coach Jeff Bzdelik announced Wednesday.

Burks, who graduated from Grandview High in Grandview, Mo., suffered a left knee sprain in Colorado's 64-63 loss at Iowa State on Saturday. He is CU's second-leading scorer (16.3 points) and top rebounder (4.7 rebounds).

Comments

Tony Bandle 9 years, 11 months ago

T-Rob, EJ, Jeff, CJ [if you're able], Conner get ready to rumble!!!

Too bad..I wanted to see this fellow Missourian play. Even though he chose the wrong school, at least he had the good sense to get out of Misery!!

master16 9 years, 11 months ago

that's too bad. i hate playing teams that our missing key players, but i hope he gets well soon. truly a talented freshman.

regardless of him playing or not, don't overlook the buffs.

Jonathan Andrews 9 years, 11 months ago

It's still a trap game, gentlemen, even more so if we allow ourselves to be lulled into a false sense of security by this latest Buff injury.

Get well soon, Alec. Stay focused, Hawks!

Mike Kendall 9 years, 11 months ago

Bummer!!!!!! No let up, Jayhawks!!!!! Give Sherron some rest if it is a blowout, please!

jaybate 9 years, 11 months ago

I just felt the average length of time CU holds the ball on each trip go up to 40-45 seconds. :-)

kureader 9 years, 11 months ago

Bummer for them. We have 3 games in 6 days ... hopefully this game will be in the bag by halftime, so our guys can save their legs.

LakeShawnee 9 years, 11 months ago

I hope they hold it for 40-45 seconds because it would equal a shot clock violation.

Drew Alan 9 years, 11 months ago

I completely see their coach's logic in resting their 2nd best player when he is "day to day" for a game they likely wouldn't win if he played at full strength. Save him for some winnable games and make a push for the NIT. Colorado is much improved from a year and two years ago.

Hopefully we keep the pedal down in the first half and have this game over by the early part of the 2nd half, and rest the key guys down the stretch. Home game against a pesky Nebraska team, then the highly anticipated visit to Austin awaits.

I'm not a basketball coaching expert of any kind, but if I'm their coach, I pass the ball around the perimeter until there is 10 seconds left on the clock on every possession. The only way to keep it close is to slow down the game.

Rick Arnoldy 9 years, 11 months ago

I seem to remember Tennessee missing some key players, too.

Tony Bandle 9 years, 11 months ago

Me thinketh Jaybate jesteth.

Well if we had to play two games in five days before a big showdown, Colorado there and Nebraska at home would have been right up there as first and second choices!

This is such an obvious "trap" game I predict they'll be more than ready and produce a blowout by the Hawks 88-61.

The true "trap" game may be Nebraska at home [Think Long Beach State}

Probably just a rumor, but supposedly the NCAA sent an investigator to the testing site that Wall took his "Miracle ACT"

Tony Bandle 9 years, 11 months ago

PS Simple solution for the Princeton offense.......press the crap out of them!!!

jaybate 9 years, 11 months ago

OakvilleJHawk,

No, I was serious. If I were Bzdelik, I would become as deliberate as I could be without Burks.

But I am currently being put through a re-education camp by Parishawk with kenpom.com statistics. It appears that I have been incorrectly assuming Princeton offenses hold the ball longer before shooting than KU does, or than other conventional offenses do.

Never to old to learn.

Marcia Parsons 9 years, 11 months ago

I always thought they did, too. It seems to take FOREVER for them to complete a play.

Ryan Mullen 9 years, 11 months ago

Speaking of pressing the crap out of someone. Has anyone ever gone to the sidelines and crapped in a towel ala Bill Walker?

Tony Bandle 9 years, 11 months ago

And here I thought you were being clever in deliberately using a larger than allowed seconds total to emphasize your point!!

I agree..never too old to learn:]

Off topic..I have seen hundreds of pictures of the Haiti devastation and have not seen ONE reinforcing bar any where.!! Buildings made of Lego blocks would have stood up to the shock waves better!!

We need to continue prayers of thanks for our good fortune and prayers of hope for their misfortune.

jaybate 9 years, 11 months ago

OakvilleJHawk,

Unreinforced concrete structures...Pancake caskets by any other name. Just terrible.

Not just America, but the world needs an FDR New Deal 2.0.

Seeing these substandard structures killing people makes me almost as sad as knowing that diarrhia, a disease treatable simply with kaopectate, is the largest killer in the third world.

We're all going to have to do some time in purgatory for this and I'm not a Catholic.