Friday, December 31, 2010

Recruit Ben McLemore making unofficial trips to finalists Kansas, Missouri

Recruiting: Ben McLemore, a 6-5 senior guard from Oak Hill Academy in Mouth of Wilson, Va., is making unofficial trips to his finalists, KU and Missouri, over holiday break, Rivals.com reports. McLemore attended the MU-Old Dominion game Thursday in Columbia, Mo. He will be in Lawrence for Sunday’s KU-Miami game. He has said he’d like to announce a college choice before returning to Oak Hill for second semester. ... DeAndre Daniels, a 6-9 senior from IMG Academies in Florida, has completed his campus visit to Texas, Zagsblog.com reports. Daniels’ final three consist of KU, Kentucky and Texas, AAU coach Dinos Trigonis tells Zagsblog, noting Daniels could make an announcement “around Jan. 1.” ... Shooting guard Jelan Kendrick, who was kicked off Memphis’ team in January, has decided to transfer to Mississippi. He had listed West Virginia, Georgia Tech and KU in interviews as possible destinations.

Comments

bvrams 3 years, 10 months ago

Hopefully we know for sure on both DD and B-Mc by the 1st.

KUbsee69 3 years, 10 months ago

If McLemore is visiting KU on the 2nd, as stated above, then I doubt we'll hear on both of them by the 1st.

Lone_salina_kufan 3 years, 10 months ago

Love the idea of being the last visit destination for McLemore. Rivals kinda leads you to believe Daniels is most likely to commit to KU. Both look like great players

KU79 3 years, 10 months ago

Anybody know what mizzou had for attendance for that game? I'm guessing it was probably their typical Christmas break crowd and it was half full (or if you're a mizzou fan -- half empty). Hopefully that's the case and he left wondering . . . "why would I want to play in this crap hole?"

kesmithstl1 3 years, 10 months ago

official attendance was just over 13,100. Mizzou arena holds over 15,000.

KU79 3 years, 10 months ago

rnrover81 3 years, 10 months ago

I live in the St Louis area and a couple of interesting notes about this: 1. attendance was listed in the Post-Dispatch as 13,000 (15,000 capacity) and 2. there was no mention of McLemore being in attendance. I have read more in the St Louis paper about the Kansas recruitment of McLemore than Missouri's. Here is a quote from the Columbia Daily Tribune - "fans in the “sold-out” crowd — about 2,000 short of capacity" - even that article makes no mention of McLemore. That would never happen at KU.

NorthStarHawk 3 years, 10 months ago

This "last look" for McLemore is most likely the result of "the Helicopter" trying to convince him to go where she wants him to go. This is about his future and not about her comfort level living among hillbillies. Stop hovering and let the kid go where he all ready knows which program will benefit him the most in his sport and academic development.

hawk316 3 years, 10 months ago

North, let's cut momma some slack. She loves her boy and wants him to be close to home so she can watch him play. Perfectly understandable. Hopefully, however, she and Ben will soon come to agree that KU is the best choice for him.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 10 months ago

Listen Momma Mc. The couple grand that some mizzou alum is trying to hand you is nothing compared to the millions your son will end up making working under coach self and staff. So if you take the short term cash I hope you invest it (gamble it is what I'd do) well to equal a lifetime if NBA riches.

KEITHMILES05 3 years, 10 months ago

Kendrick has committed to Ole Miss. KUSports should know that by now.

The interesting situation of McElmore and Daniels is the total opposite. Ben is trying to convince his mom to let him come to KU. Daniels father wants him to come to KU but his son isn't quite as convinced as dad. LOL

WilburNether 3 years, 10 months ago

"...Jelan Kendrick, who was kicked off Memphis’ team in January, has decided to transfer to Mississippi."

Good.

Like we want some punk who was kicked off another team. As if.

Mark Lindrud 3 years, 10 months ago

McLemore and Daniels would be perfect for next year. We need one more big man and a small forward next year. Honestly, those are the only positions we need besides the PG we already got. We lose Brady, Reed and probably Selby, but EJ, Taylor, Releford and we still have Woolridge who will have had a year to develop his game and I am certain he will be ready for some minutes. With Tharpe and McLemore we will be in great shape.

As far as the bigs I don't see anyone leaving early so Daniels would have a year to develop and play minutes while we have TRobb and the twins playing big minutes. Hopefully Withey will be healthy and be able to contribute instead of looking like a bust.

stravinsky 3 years, 10 months ago

I don't know why we have to assume that McLemore's mom is pushy or that somebody is trying to bribe them. Could it be that he's 18 and is indecisive? I mean, I'm probably more indecisive than most, but I know I spent a lot of time before deciding to go to KU because I had several other offers on the table (academics, not athletics though). The kid grew up in Missouri. And Mizzou basketball is no longer a doormat. It's long been reported that he leans toward KU, but give the guy and his family some slack when it comes to making an important decision.

That said, I do like that his last unofficial visit is to KU. It seems to me that a lot of times when this sort of thing occurs, it ends with a verbal commitment at the end of the day. We can hope.

GridironHawk 3 years, 10 months ago

The reason for all the pushy mom comments is because it has been highly published that Ben has wanted to commit to KU for some time. However, his mom asked him not to commit because she really wants him to go to MU.

texashawk10 3 years, 10 months ago

As long as none of these guys use the hat method to pick their school KU should be fine. If they do use the hats to choose their school, then KU is screwed since KU has no luck with the hats.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 10 months ago

BenMac will commit to Kansas. He is going through this "eliminatiom" process one more time out of respect for his family rather than interest in Mizzou.

His Mom's intentions are honorable...She is quoted that she wants to watch him play every game and the trip to Lawrence is twice as long. What parent wouldn't be allowed to express that wish?

I think that Ben is trying to show her that watching 25% of his games in Lawrence versus 100% of his games in Columbia will be about 1000% better for his career!!

stravinsky 3 years, 10 months ago

@Jayhawkinnebr, I don't know that's necessarily the case. I see Selby as more of a 1/2, while McLemore looks to be more of a 2/3 with the way Self has played people of his size in the past.

Read another story on ESPN or SI the other day (forget which one) where another expert predicted a very high chance of an NBA lockout next year. I suppose Selby could always leave for Europe, but from what we've seen in the past I think he'd rather be closer to his mom, and I would think Frazier would suggest he stick around at Kansas (complete speculation, I know).

It'll be very interesting to see how a lockout could affect recruiting -- both for KU and Kentucky. Brady, Tyrel, and Mario will all be gone, all of whom I believe are scholarship players, which would leave us with the scholarships for McLemore, Naadir, and one other. It'll just depend if some players want instant playing time. And if a lockout indeed is the case, get even more excited for KU-UK at Madison Square Garden next year, because that game will be insane.

jamsim3 3 years, 10 months ago

Her's hoping we get to know Ms. Ben a lot better when her son becomes a Jayhawk!