Back to Big 12 Conference coverage

Big 12 Conference

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Keegan

Former KU football coach Mark Mangino would be a good fit at Nebraska

Kansas head coach Mark Mangino looks up to the booth during the second quarter, Saturday, Nov. 28, 2009, at Arrowhead Stadium.

When ousted Kansas University football coach Mark Mangino rode his $3 million parachute out of town and moved to Naples, Fla., the general consensus was Mangino would spend the year exhaling and then get back into coaching. Well, now that the year is up, will Mangino get back in? The guess here is yes.

Offense is Mangino’s area of expertise, as evidenced by the work he did at Oklahoma, as offensive coordinator, and at Kansas, where he gave Ed Warinner a blueprint for what he wanted, then watched Todd Reesing get the most from receivers spread out all over the field.

Mangino and Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops are close friends, but it’s always been Stoops’ way to hire from within when a school raids his staff for a head coach. Stoops did so when he promoted Chuck Long to OC when Mangino was hired to head KU’s football program, for example. When Stoops’ offensive coordinator, Kevin Wilson, was hired as head coach at Indiana, Stoops promoted two assistant coaches, Josh Heupel and Jay Norvell, to become co-offensive coordinators.

So where does that leave Mangino?

Speculation has centered on Nebraska offensive coordinator Shawn Watson leaving the program after the Cornhuskers’ Holiday Bowl game Thursday against Washington. Watson’s a leading candidate for the Miami of Ohio head coaching job vacated by Mike Haywood, hired by Pittsburgh.

Bo Pelini’s expertise always has been defense, and he has his brother Carl as his D-coordinator. Nebraska’s offense, though better this year under red-shirt freshman quarterback Taylor Martinez, hasn’t kept pace with its defense since Pelini revived the program.

Mangino-to-Nebraska makes plenty of sense. Sure, Mangino has his detractors because of his fiery nature, but his sideline demeanor calls to mind Tom Landry’s when compared to Bo Pelini’s. Sure, Mangino lost his cool, but it never resulted in his team losing its cool during games. Mangino teams routinely did a solid job of avoiding penalties. Pelini’s team was penalized 16 times for 145 yards in a 9-6 loss to Texas A&M.

It might sound strange to some, Raimond Pendleton included, but Mangino actually might have a calming influence on Pelini.

Many believe former KU wide receivers coach Tim Beck, who coaches running backs for Pelini, will be promoted to offensive coordinator if Wilson leaves for Miami of Ohio, but don’t count out Mangino.

Look at it this way: As a Nebraska football fan, would you be more concerned with Mangino sometimes behaving like the two most famous Big Ten coaches, late greats Woody Hayes and Bo Schembechler, or more excited that the guy who consistently lost recruiting battles to Nebraska, yet still managed to coach his team to 76 points against the Huskers, was coming on board to help Nebraska make a loud first step into the Big Ten?

Mangino and Pelini never worked together, but they did both work for Bob Stoops at Oklahoma. All three men grew up in the football-crazed area around the Ohio-Pennsylvania border. Mangino’s from New Castle, Pa., a 19-mile drive from Youngstown, Ohio, the hometown of Pelini and Stoops.

Comments

Andy Hess 3 years, 9 months ago

At his size, Mangino isn't a good fit anywhere. Neither are you for that matter, Keegan. LOLzz.

actorman 3 years, 9 months ago

"Weak" doesn't do justice to your "joke," swishy. Pathetic is more like it. There are a lot of things that can be said about Mangino, but to resort to a fat joke really reflects poorly on you.

I think Mangino would be a perfect choice for OC at NU. His biggest weakness as a head coach (aside from abusing his players) was his head-coaching decisions at the ends of close games. As an OC he wouldn't have to be making those decisions. And his temper probably wouldn't be as big an issue either, since he wouldn't be in charge. (And now I'll brace myself for another one of Swishy's brilliant comments since I used the word "biggest" and "big" -- picture Beavis and Butthead doing their laughs.)

Andy Hess 3 years, 9 months ago

thanks for the lecture dad. and please don't act like you know me, or my posting habits for that matter.

Rick Arnoldy 3 years, 9 months ago

It's played out and juvenile. Move on.

m_bennett 3 years, 9 months ago

Sorry...but abusing his players? What happened this year and the tail end of last year, was that KU Players lost their toughness. They all had to be coddled and we hired a coach who would coddle them. KU Football players need to man up and quite frankly running Mangino out of town set KU back 100 years.

actorman 3 years, 9 months ago

I obviously meant that I used the WORDS "biggest" and "big."

100 3 years, 9 months ago

That 76-39 game is such an irony now, at least, its an irony if Keegan's "instincts" are anywhere close to correct that Pelini is drooling over the chance to wrap Mangino up in a big red Nebraska leather coat...

Of course the whole 76 point explosion would have never happened without Reesing to go along with Mangino's high octane spread against a terrible NU defense.

But could you imagine Nebraska's fans ever applauding Mangino & accepting him as an assistant coach after that majestic Husker stomping?

victor_E_rojo 3 years, 9 months ago

Mangino is a horrible role model in so many ways. He has no chance of getting hired at Nebraska.

Funhawk 3 years, 9 months ago

That's right. Tom Osbourne won't allow it. One drama king is enough.

KU_Alumn_2000 3 years, 9 months ago

I agree with keegs...nebraska football would benefit from a guy like mangino.

Nebraska really lacks discipline...and mangino would clean up that gangsta - cocky behavior that nu's players struggle with.

Joe Ross 3 years, 9 months ago

Mangino was having a bad season, so they axed him. Period. Didn't bode well for the alumi contribution to have a losing season. They needed something to blame it on, and his temper fit the bill. They knew he was a boiling pot before the Orange Bowl season, but they saw progress; consequently, Mangino stayed put. And he should have. Listen, ladies...this ain't day camp. It's not Oprah Winfrey's book club, either. And it's sure as hell not Sunday school. This is football! Remember? If you don't think there's gonna be yelling, cursing, expletive-laden tirades, grabs and tugs on jerseys, etc., then you don't know jack about football. You think Vince Lombardi or Dick Butkus could imagine a day when you couldnt breathe some fire from the sidelines as a coach or expect it as a player? God in Heaven! Is this how soft football has gotten? Mangino was and is a good coach and if any of you have a problem with his temper then you should gather up into a big heap and cast yourselves into the fire. In high school I endured worse than I heard Mangino did at KU. It makes me angry everytime I hear someone say something about his temper and use it as defense of his firing. So what? There's a knitting club down the road a piece if any of you cupcakes want to hang out with some little old ladies.

rastameta 3 years, 9 months ago

Man, you really don't what happened do you. Coaches wouldn't come here to work for him because he an ass. Several coaches from last year were going to leave after the season to get away from Magino. There was a lot more going on inside that program then you know if you feel his behavior didn't play a part in his ouster.

Joe Ross 3 years, 9 months ago

On the contrary, I really DO know what happened. I got the inside scoop, see. I know his daughter-in-law personally and we've discussed Mangino's take (as well as listening to the same info available to everyone else including you). I give this to you now and you can take it to the bank. People knew of Mangino's temper a long time before he was pressured to resign. A long time = season's before. Reference Mangino's comments around the time of the pressure if you have the means to. It was even laughed about by his higher ups...until the team started losing. His demeanor is called a "coaching style" and all of 'em have one. Big deal. It's not little league baseball!!! My points are not nullified because coaches wouldnt come or wanted to leave (even if that's true). In fact, those kinds of occurrances is why I left comments in the first place. Read them again if necessary.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 9 months ago

Now we have a coach that doesn't hold the team responsible after a beatdown from ndsu. No cursing, no yelling, no running, and you see how that's worked for us!

Joe Ross 3 years, 9 months ago

Doug Merrill 3 years, 9 months ago

I think you are correct, but missed the point. Mangino's temper was (obviously) known soon after he arrived, but he won, so firing wouldn't be possible. It was poison for coach hiring, but even more importantly it started to lose recruiting battles once he had been on site for a while and the info got out. He rode his best recruiting class(es) for as long as they would go, but even those atheletes could not overcome the poor morale he was instilling. His recruiting started to suffer, the team sank, so firing him finally became possible. If he hadn't been fired when he was, he would have been this year, no matter who the AD was. time to get over what happened and to stop imagining that Mangino isn't fully responsible for his exit at KU.

Joe Ross 3 years, 9 months ago

You employ the words, "Once it got out..." as if it were accidental. The KU athletic department under Lew Perkins was responsible for a concerted effort publicizing Mark Mangino's temper because he needed grounds to fire him. But be clear on one point: prior to that his temper was NOT (insert universal symbol for "NO" here) public knowledge. Most people were surprised. Privately--or at least inasmuch as the athletic department is "private"--there was the awareness, yes. But the common fan did not know he was given to fits of temper, nor did recruits. As far as recruiting suffering, Mangino was not a dogged recruiter even on par with his successor. He took kids, put them in a crucible of pressure, and got the most out of them. In this sense he is not a great deal unlike Hall of Fame coach Bobby Knight who, incidentally, coaches a non-contact sport. Knight was not known for a staple of blue-chip recruits. In addition, Mangino wanted facilities. His recruiting tactics largely showcased improvement/success on the field and what he helped to bring to KU in those facilities. He had a good recruiting class as you pointed out. I agree with your assessment that he rode them until the wheels fell off. But I disagree when you say athletes were mired in sullenness with Mangino here and "...could not overcome." Many of them--via Mangino (and ONLY through Mangino because big-time programs didn't have them on their board)--earned pro careers and/or national recognition. If you want to call having a fiery coaching style being the full reason for Mangino's exit you are--and I say this as respectfully as I can--simply deluded.

KCHawk81 3 years, 9 months ago

I thank Mangino for what he did here, and I wish him all the best. But a couple of facts eat at me: Mangino was not fired, he resigned. He resigned to take far less money than he was guaranteed. Presumably, he did so to save himself or the university the embarrassment of a full investigation. But everything was already out, right? The bear crawls, the chest-poke, the verbal abuse. It was already a messy situation before he resigned

Mangino doesn't seem like one to back down from a fight, so what changed last December? He could have waited till we fired him and then contested a dismissal without cause like Leach has been doing with Texas Tech. But he didn't. Why not? Plenty of coaches are OK with not having the support of their athletic department or even a few donors as long as their team is winning, so I have to think there's some other reason. In other words, I have to assume that a full investigation would have revealed grounds for Mangino's termination and would have seriously jeopardized his ability to get another coaching job. So he opted for less money, a year or two off, and the reputation of a "fiery coach" instead. Can't blame him, but ONLY if he was afraid of what a full investigation would turn up.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 9 months ago

These "fiction can be fun" articles are starting to be two much.

kureignman 3 years, 9 months ago

Yeah. Keegan usually I'm a fan but the only connection here is that they were both under Stoops and they coached against each other. That could fit a number of coaches, Mike Leach for example. But I guess Leach didn't grow up close to Pelini so that excludes him.

lemmer 3 years, 9 months ago

Leach is excluded because he wants a head coaching job, not a OC job. See Maryland.

kcglowboy 3 years, 9 months ago

Starting to be too much? STARTING? As soon as I read this I thought two things: 1) Keegs had several good, solid, journalistically sound articles this week, so he was overdue for one of these lazy, if-I-ran-the-world columns that serve no purpose other than to fill column inches; and 2) thinking back to the "Notre Dame and Arkansas Good Fits for the Big 12" travesty of a column, I wondered which national media outlets would similarly (and lazily) pick up this column and run it as news. I could just see ESPN running a brief piece like this: "Nebraska is considering hiring former Kansas head coach Mark Mangino as offensive coordinator, according to media reports."

Dyrk Dugan 3 years, 9 months ago

i agree with what most of jross says.....there's no way in the world, this supposed "discovery" of a bad temper issue just came about in a 60 day period of time.

it's basically what i said to a lot of folks around me when this was all going on....Mark Mangino is an old school football coach ....period. he does it his way....he'll embarrass you publicly, he'll lay into you....he'll also work your tail off. but you see, HE had to work his tail off to get where he was....he took no shortcuts....he was a first responder on the New Jersey turnpike system...he was an assistant coach at a JUCO for cryin out loud.....shoot, he was on Bill Snyder's staff for eight years....do you think he would have lasted that long if the old man had thought of his character or work ethic as anything but good?

all that being said, he wont' be Bo Pellini's OC. no way in the world. Dang, that's way too much combustion on the sideline there....plus, the bad rep would be too much for the elitists at NU.

Joe Ross 3 years, 9 months ago

...someone who GETS it! sigh of relief

KCHawk81 3 years, 9 months ago

He took one shortcut: he resigned. What separates good coaches from normal people is that good coaches would rather put in 100-hour work weeks than take a year's paid vacation in Florida. Mangino was a good coach, so why did he leave? His contract had no buyout clause, and he publicly defended his actions AFTER all of the allegations were made. Then, suddenly, he decides to take the settlement and leave? Doesn't make sense unless there are other incidents that would have established just cause for termination.

I think Mangino knew, at the very least, that the administration wanted him out when his investigation began last fall. So he has an opportunity to say, "I'm stepping down at the end of the year to get healthy." We all would have believed that, and it would have saved his reputation so he could get another job. He didn't. "Incidents" became public knowledge, and current and former players squealed. Again, he could have said, "I'm stepping down for the good of the program and for the good of my health." He didn't. Why not? Because he wanted an extra three million dollars? I just don't buy that he needed money badly enough to stretch the investigation throughout the season. I clearly don't "get it," but what am I missing?

ryanm1988 3 years, 9 months ago

Bobby Knight did not have "blue chip" recruits??? He did when he won three championships. He did NOT when everyone (coaches, recruits, administrators) got tired of his act. He is/was a d!ck, just like Mangino. It gets overlooked when you are winning big, but bites you in the a$$ sooner or later. (in all walks of life) Pelini can find a much better coordinator than Mangino. OU was glad KU took him off their hands.

Joe Ross 3 years, 9 months ago

...now THIS is why it's hard not to lose MY temper. Dude, I didn't say Coach Knight never had any blue-chip players. I implied he didn't build his reputation and career on them. Rather, he took decent kids and through fiery dragon breath extracted the best out of them. I don't say everything he did was right, but it definitely WAS effective! Again, non-contact sport.

bigtex 3 years, 9 months ago

I'll take the fire and intensity of Mangino any day instead of the lost gaze of a bewildered Gill.I think NU will take Mangino, remember most OCs are upstairs in the box during games not on the sidelines. Discipline, passion, work ethic,and consistency are the keys to success in the coaching world, Mangino has all of these traits. Lou pissed down his leg on this one.

gdkadjayhawk 3 years, 9 months ago

So if Mangino had all those traits, why did the big guy lose so many games his last season here with his best players in their senior year?

gdkadjayhawk 3 years, 9 months ago

However, you may have a good point about being in the booth vs the sideline - I still don't think NU hires him, though.

bigtex 3 years, 9 months ago

Tough year, KU had the lead in the 4th quarter in 4or 5 of those games lost. Lou creating a ton of distractions for the players and coaching staff in the last 4 games.Hard to keep it together when the A.D. is trying to get you fired, to bad Lou didn't get fired by his boss for his lack of management.

Steve Brown 3 years, 9 months ago

0-7 last seven games with Mad Mark as coach.

1:44 left in MU game first down we have the ball and the lead and still lost. Some set of folks was not winning after his meltdown tirade to the team when they beat up T Taylor, he even said it, read my lips it's over, 'trust me'. He was right it was over....lack of leadership, bully crossed the line.

Clarence Haynes 3 years, 9 months ago

Pelini + Mangino = Two hot heads!

rolo2383 3 years, 9 months ago

Pelini + Pelini + Mangino = three hot heads.

Keegan pulled this idea out of somewhere and that's all I have to say about that. (Using my best Forrest Gump voice)

NebraskaJayhawk 3 years, 9 months ago

I brought this subject up 2-3 weeks ago if anyone remembers. He is a candidate for the position if and when Watson leaves.

Jeff Cuttell 3 years, 9 months ago

As a Husker fan, I hope he gets it. That at least means Watson is gone. When you refer to the 16 penalties against A&M, you need to actually go back to the tape and watch to see which ones were actually penalties. Not one of the "Big 12s" officials' most shining moments. Also, you'd need to show me that the Aggies never committed a holding penalty against that defense.

This is one example of the season long referee failures due to Dan Beebe. Here's another...

NebraskaJayhawk 3 years, 9 months ago

Dude, you are seriously a typical husker fan. Always the refs...

lemmer 3 years, 9 months ago

bahahahahaha...WOW! At some point you have to give credit to the other team. The Ref's didn't cost NU that game, A&M DID!

1983Hawk 3 years, 9 months ago

There is not a scintilla of evidence provided here about any interest Nebraska may have in Mangino if their current OC moves on to Miami O. It's pure speculation by Keegan who is pulling it out his you-know-what for a column. I agree that Nebraska already has PR image problems with the Pelini boys, and Doctor Tom probably wouldn't want Mangino's additional PR baggage. That said, let's remember that OCs tend to sit in the booth and have almost no interaction with players on gameday, at least on the sidelines. I for one wouldn't be surprised if Leach doesn't at least give Mangino a courtesy call to see if he has any interest in being the OC at Maryland.

jmsuther 3 years, 9 months ago

If you ask me he sounds likea great fit a Kansas, maybe ku should hire him back as our offensive corrdinator considering we had our worst offense since 2002.

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 9 months ago

When I read this, I was thinking, "Mangino and Pelini, two peas in a pod." I could only imagine what the dialogue could be like when they sat down together for dinner with a full plate of spaghetti----humm.

Clarence Haynes 3 years, 9 months ago

Pelini/Mangino Dialogue: TV-MA-AL

m_bennett 3 years, 9 months ago

The belief that Mangino abused his players goes miles in speaking about what happened at KU this season. KU football players ended up being a bunch of pansies. If Mangino does go to Nebraska as the OC, Nebraska would look forward to being National Champs within 5 years. Remember this, Mangino was the best Coach for Kansas in 100 years and it will be another 100 years before they get back to an Orange Bowl.

yovoy 3 years, 9 months ago

With the advances in science and what-not, I'm sure that immortality is right around the corner. I sure hope not, because 100 years from now the same people would still be here celebrating the Orange Bowl victory, and complaining about Mangino-gate.

Look, I loved Mangino, I think he got the shaft (I know that his behaviour was known about for a loooong time), but he's gone. Unless he lands in our conference, he's not our "problem". I like Coach Gill, though I have (a few) reservations - I don't like his apologists nor the rabid "fire him now" crowd. I don't compare the 2 except that when they were/are coaches at my alma mater, I want them to succeed. I don't care where they've been nor where they are going. I don't care to guess about it. I'm normally pretty okay with what the author does, and even if this article is a little (insert YOUR adjective here), it has done what most of his articles do: it has caused a series of fissures among our fanbase. It's gotten us talking about a guy that except for the history that he left us, we shouldn't be discussing - especially in regards to his NEXT job.

troutsee 3 years, 9 months ago

The old story is back again, and it hasn't changed its theme, at least, as espoused by many of the above posters, i.e. Mangino was great and Gill is horrible. Sigh....how utterly boring and what a huge waste of time.

actorman 3 years, 9 months ago

Thank you troutsee, finally someone who makes sense.

It will never cease to amaze me how many people (hello, jross) will defend Mangino by saying "that's football." Sorry, but that simply doesn't cut it. "That's football" doesn't cover verbally abusing and harassing secretarial and other staff members. It doesn't cover threatening someone to be sent home where he will be shot like his "homies." And these are only the things we DO know about -- Lord knows what we DON'T know. And yes, we all knew for years that he had temper problems, and he did get away with it more when he was winning. But like most bullies, his act wore thin and it started to affect the team on the field.

And BTW, jross, I also have some inside knowledge, having known one of the players on the team. And to a man, they DESPISED Mangino and couldn't stand playing for him. It did happen to all work out in that one glorious Orange Bowl year (at least partly helped out by a ridiculously easy schedule), but take away that one year and his record was nothing to be particularly inspired about.

So you can say all you want that I'm being naive or that hey, that's just football, or he's old-school, but there's no reason you can't be tough on players without being abusive and tyranical. And again, I find it interesting how none of the Mangino apologists have EVER dealt with the fact that he wasn't just abusive to his players, but to his staff and everyone else around him as well. Or is it just football to scream and curse at your secretary and everyone else who works for you?

bad_dog 3 years, 9 months ago

Although the losing season was undoubtably the final straw, I agree 100%. I knew at least 15 of the players from that era and several of them including Kerry, Todd, Jake, Angus, AC, Cesar, Rivera, Mortenson, etc, etc have either been in my home or I in theirs. While they were typically rather tight lipped about most facets of the team, it was pretty obvious to me they didn't care for Mangino. The child of a friend worked with the football recruits and indicated she was often asked about Mangino's demeanor. That must indicate word was out on the street in an unfavorable way.

Another thing most people don't discuss is the allegation there was a domestic violence clause in Mangino's contract. If true, why would that need to be included? Domestic violence isn't just a part of football too, is it?

bigtex 3 years, 9 months ago

Mangino and his wife are still together,there was no big "D" after the KU job.

bad_dog 3 years, 9 months ago

Many, many women remain with abusive spouses/partners. In fact, that's a typical characteristic in many DV cases. Longevity of the relationship doesn't mean DV doesn't exist. There are many reasons people in those situations remain together; religious beliefs, desire to retain the famililial unit, fear, $$$, etc., etc.

Whether a big "D" occurred following MM's resignation is no litmus test for determining the existence of DV.

Kirk 3 years, 9 months ago

Hmm....You're right. Many women DO remain with abusive partners.

And Mangino's wife IS STILL with him.

That's all the proof I need that Mangino is a wife beater!

actorman 3 years, 9 months ago

All that being said, I still think Mangino would be a good fit as OC at NU. As people have pointed out, he would be in the booth, not on the field. And I think the fact that he wouldn't be the head man would mean he could focus on what he does best -- working on the offense -- without having to deal with end-of-game decisions and generally being in charge.

And BTW, for those typical Keegan criticizers, did he say anywhere in the article that this was something he'd heard about? He is writing an opinion column, and part of writing an opinion column is giving his ... OPINION! He wrote that he thought Mangino would be a good fit in that position, and I agree with him. I don't think that makes him lazy or journalistically sloppy. He's simply giving his ... brace for it now ... OPINION!

troutsee 3 years, 9 months ago

He probably is a good fit for NU's anemic offense but won't be hired. They already have a PR problem with their head coach and they have an image to uphold in the lottie-dottie Big Ten. Agree with your remarks regarding Keegan.

kureader 3 years, 9 months ago

Tom Osborne would never let this happen.

actorman 3 years, 9 months ago

"Mangino and his wife are still together,there was no big "D" after the KU job."

Well that proves it, bigtex. After all, everyone knows that once there's domestic violence in a marriage, it instantly ends in divorce every time.

actorman 3 years, 9 months ago

I'm guessing (since I've seen it before ad nauseum) that one of the arguments from the Mangino faithful will be, "Who cares if the players all hated him? They played hard for him and they won." Of course that isn't really true anyway, other than in the one season. But even if that were true, let me ask the supporters, is that all that matters, how well the team does? Should the players, who after all are the ones sacrificing their bodies, their time, energy, etc., have any right to actually be playing for someone they like and whom they enjoy playing for, or is that completely irrelevant?

FightnMangino64 3 years, 9 months ago

As a former player, Ill tell you. I liked Mangino's style. I played under Allen and Mangino. I played my heart out for the man, and Id do it again. Im not a weak minded person, I dont slink away when someone gets in my face. Thats the mind set he wanted to instill into his players. Thats why in his second yr we went bowling. Between the sidelines he is a hard man, no doubt about it. Off the field, he put the team good ahead of any one person, but he did take care of his players. His job was to get 105 kids to play harder than they knew they could and he did it year in and year out.

pussygalore 3 years, 9 months ago

As a Nebraska fan, I say the bigger, meaner, and the successful are welcome. I'm not rooting for a bunch of cry baby pansies. I'm sick the season always being called a "rebuilding year". If some big fat ass from Kansas can help, get it done!!!!!

pussygalore 3 years, 9 months ago

Husker_Nation402 3 years, 9 months ago

I have personally always been a fan of Mangino, despite his size (which has nothing to deal with his work ethics and determination, he is a master mind for an offensive. He knows how to run one, and he coached damn well. Our defense obviously is well disciplined, but that is something our offense lacks a lot of. Its time for a change and this change couldn't be any better with going into the Big 10. I mean he put a Kansas high against us, besides the fact we were still being ran by a poor coached Callahan, he still did it. He is the best fit for our team. Period. Besides, Watson has had plenty of time to shine. The only time he has shined is against some teams that haven't had great performances and a bowl game last year., and he folded right along with our offense on games that meant a ton to us. He folds under pressure and is not a great example to our players nor our program. Expect to see a great team again on the 30th, but remember, look what he has shown all year. We had WAY more talent this year that didn't get used, IE Burkhead in the wildcat that should have been used more against OU, Brockmeyer (SP?), the replacement for Niles Paul, that is a senior and has made an incredible impact on our receiving team that we have needed all year. A bunch of talent that was not used that killed us.

ydoow53 3 years, 9 months ago

Anybody see the Boise State coach grab his player by the shoulder pads during their bowl pregame activities and back him him down real quick-- all the while in his face verbally--all on national TV. Wouldn't be surprised if the pansy KU fans aren't calling for him to be fired. Bet he gets fired--not!!! Gool luck Coach Mangino whereve you land!!

danmoore 3 years, 9 months ago

Coaching wise Mangino would be a great fit but I can't see it happening. Pelini is already on the president's s### list and hiring a known hot head is too risky.

Next year will be the first time in my life I will be rooting for the cobs. Big 10 is the most over rated football conference in the country and I would like to see a former Big 12 team put their arrogant fans in their place.

texashawk10 3 years, 9 months ago

Mangino would be a bad fit at Nebraska. It's nothing personal against him, but his playcalling style would be a huge clash with the talent Nebraska currently has. Mangino is not a big fan of running the football, does not use the Wildcat at all (I can't be the only person who thought Kerry Meier running the Wildcat would've made KU's offense even more explosive), and would not make any adjustments in his gameplan.

For all of the Mangino defenders out there, is 3 winning seasons out of 8 really something you want to hang your hat on and brag about. Glen Mason had 4 winning years in 9 seasons at KU which is a better % than Mangino, yet I haven't seen anybody yearning for the "good ol' days" of Glen Mason to come back to Lawrence. I'm not the biggest Gill fan out there although I want him to succeed because that means KU will succeed, and I don't really care what Mangino said to players during practice because every coach has their own style for motivating other players and each can be successful, but to say someone who had 3 winning seasons out of 8 is the best a BCS school can do is just ridiculous.

hawk82 3 years, 9 months ago

Mark Mangino was a lawsuit or three waiting to happen. Count on it. Staff, players - all were potential legal threats for KU. He had to go.

Good luck Nebraska. Hire a good lawyer if/when you hire the Big Man.

yates33333 3 years, 9 months ago

He made a pretty good fit at KU until some fanatics got him fired.

cowboy 3 years, 9 months ago

Keegan out to lunch as usual , perhaps you should move to Nebraska and join Pellini. Mangino not only failed on the field but off as well. You cannot abuse folks and keep a high profile job , plain and simple. His wrath was strewn across the hill at players , coaches , and the little people that work daily at KU. Any org doing a cursory background check would run as fast as possible away from this guy.

packywacky88 3 years, 9 months ago

Mangino lost his job when he gave away a victory to Missouri. You can be as mean or nice as you want, but if you call a game as bone headed as he did the last series against MU, they you are gone.

Kirk 3 years, 9 months ago

His goose was cooked before the Misery game....and he knew it.

danmoore 3 years, 9 months ago

It's a bottom line business. If you win you can be abusive, your players can get arrested, and there can be academic improprities. Show me a coach whose players graduate, stay out of trouble, treats his players well but loses more than he wins and I'll show you an unemployed coach.

crazyhawksfan 3 years, 9 months ago

Man i wish we still had mangino he could outcoach Gill on his worst day!

Bear86 3 years, 9 months ago

Keegan, Who Fn cares whether Mangina would be a good fit for NU. This is KU Sports.com. Try writing some thing pertinent for a change. I appreciated what Mangina did for KU Football but he is gone. Get the message?? F-Texas!!! & this stupid irrelevant article!!!